View Full Version : Battlefield 1942 woes...
05-20-2003, 06:46 AM
Such a fun game. And yet, so rife with idiots! I suppose it should be expected with any game that allows entry to the unwashed masses... A few rants of mine on this game..
Why do people insist on grounding the damn boats all the time? I mean, all the time! It's always a guy with a name like "SuperSniper" or "l33t d00d" or some stupid name like that.
So you take the helm of the boat, which also means control of a few 120mm guns. Cool. Lets float along the coast, shelling the empty beach. Sure, nobody's there, but the explosions are so darn cool. Hey, look, a giant enemy cruiser! Nope, keep shelling that beach. It's shooting at us? Keep on that beach! You have a guy in the back who wants to shoot the cruiser, but cant turn his guns far enough. Oh well, dont turn the boat, then you couldnt shoot the beach! ARGH!
Ok, I got to the plane before you. Is it really, really necessary to empty your entire machinegun clip into my tail as I take off? I mean, that smoke that is now billowing from my engine tells you something, hm?
Sniping? Cool, fun stuff. Hey, whats that? Someone calling for artillery? Ignore him, he'll find something to blow up. Dont call in a target for him, you have to keep sniping those tanks! Sure, the bulets bounce off their armor, but hey, it's worth a try!
Share your BF1942 horror stories here!
05-20-2003, 07:07 AM
Well, I remember going ashore in the first wave with the Marines and Seabees. Jerry had us pinned down from the cliffs with 50mm fire and tracers--so brazen; they knew we couldn't hit them from down here in the water. We got the landing craft hung up on concrete obstacles about a hundred meters offshore, and had to drop door in sixty feet of water. Four of us made it to shore, only to be ringed in by mortar fire. Having ditched my equipment to swim, I had to dig a foxhole with the splintered legbone of one of my (obviously) dead comrades and squat down in the sand like a frightened crab. Just then the gas shells started coming in, spotlights lit up the barbed-wire strewn beach and a thunderous yell went up as trap doors sprung open and thousands of Waffen SS troops poured out of hidden tunnels. All I had was a rusty bayonet and a sopping wet pin-up magazine with which to defend myself.
:D Other than that, my day was fine. How about you?
05-20-2003, 07:18 AM
Hahaha. I swear I have seen those names before.
1. You have 14 people on your side. You have one spawn left. What occupation do you choose? That is right. You choosea sniper. Lets have 9 snipers and 4 engineers and one medic. We will get those spawns yet.
2. Personal peeve is when defguns which are supposed to shoot ships are used on land. I hate that.
3. People who are engineers who go into games with no team kill on and keep blowing you up. Those people piss me off the most.
4. People who try to kill their own teammates like placing a grenade right under a sniper causing them to fly in the air 10 feet and fall to their deaths. People who drive fast cars and get out right before which run you over on your same team. People who bomb the beach when there is no one there but your team to try and kill you.
5. People who are medics who refuse to heal you! Same with engineers.
6. If you are an engineer and you repair your tank only to have it taken by some butt wipe on your own team and then leaves you behind so you also have to walk to the next checkpoint.
7. People on a carrier being bombed by enemy planes and sit there shooting at other teammates instead of getting on the AA guns.
05-20-2003, 09:22 AM
Isn't it marvelous how an internet game with perfect strangers appear to be a vortex of teamwork and deeply ingrained social morals?
Anarchy in its purest form.
05-20-2003, 12:02 PM
All of these stories are so so true... and yet so sad as well. Sad because the people that really understand basic teamwork fundamentals eventually end up face up under the treads of a noob's tank. It's always my luck to jump in the plane only to have a friendly mow me down before I take off. Or get shelled by friendly artillery well after I reported flanking half of the opposing team and capturing a key obj. Or my favorite: Drive a missle truck into position, switch to the missles and aim perfectly at a target only to have somebody jump in a drive off like a mad man.
That's how it is with multi-massive-Ima-l337-noob-Rambo-shootem-up-style games nowadays. Some people are not able to function as a team. They cannot grasp the idea of *GASP* working together to achieve victory. Maybe it's just me, but I thought the concept of teamwork in Battlefield: 1942 was a DEAD give away. Could you imagine seeing 1 guy running up the shores of Normandy screaming "F joo all suxxor-scum bags!" Tom Hanks eat joor heart out, lol.
Anyway, I like playing Desert Combat because of the helos mostly. I like flying in the Blackhawk and para-dropping friendlie's into the enemie's base. This only works with good communication, though. Sometimes I get a whole team full of Blackburns who die before they even hit the ground, lol. :)
05-20-2003, 06:10 PM
Ohh ohhh. 2 more things I forgot.
1. You are the only one left alive on your side. There are no flags left. You can A) keep on the AA gun where there are no enemies and no hope to kill 85 people in a row OR B) go out to the most remote flag location and get a base for us all. If you picked A then you are the exact idiot I hate.
2. This is more of a two part thing I hate. You are at a base. You are the only one. Do you A) stay and try to find the enemy to keep the flag. B) remain hidden and alive waiting for help to arrive C) run away and let the enemy take the base without fighting for it. As you may have guessed most people I hate choose C). I don't mind B if you are a sniper or an engineer. You have no excuse if you are someone else.
you are the inches from being in the vicinity of getting the flag to stop the enemy from being able to spawn. You choose not to go those extra 2 inches to keep shooting 5 new people every 20 seconds while they slowly take away your health.
05-21-2003, 02:39 AM
Hey, you just got a new tank! They blow stuf up so nice, dont they? Look, airplanes on the ground! Lets blow them up! Dont they blow up nice? Sure, now your team has no planes to fly and no way to take down those Zeros circling your base, but thats ok. You can use your pea-shooter machinegun on your 133t tank to shoot them down, right?
05-21-2003, 02:45 AM
Battlefield 1942 is a great game in general, but I'll admit it's a joke online. The majority of the time there will be someone hiding in a hill by the planes with a sniper rifle sniping everyone who comes near the planes just so he can "fly a plane" (and yes, people on his OWN team!)
I finally gave up on finding a decent BF1942 server and I usually just play it offline against bots, it's funner like that anyway, IMO.
BF1942 has such great potential and it would be an even better game if EA had set up a points/credits system for the vehicles (something similiar to PlanetSide). But there truly are too many vehicle hogs to enjoy the game online. Although, it may be different at a LAN event where you're playing against people you know/trust.
05-21-2003, 02:51 AM
Hmm, I'm a BF1942 player too and it does get frustrating.
How about we make a clan for LFers about Bf1942? There's alot of us here.
05-21-2003, 03:05 AM
I unfortunately only have the demo but if/when I have money the game is mine.
05-21-2003, 11:34 AM
lol, those stories are funny:D . now I want to buy BF 1942:)
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.