PDA

View Full Version : Tracing Bot Commands

NathanRahl
05-27-2003, 08:48 AM
I'm playing around with the bot AI right now, trying to make the bot use forces at different times than they would normally. What I do is re-write the whole force selection to fit my needs. Right now all I want is make the bot use lightning... ;)

To accomplish this I set his selected force power to FP_LIGHTNING, useTheForce=1, forceHostile=1, just like it would have been had he chosen lightning on his own (in the if else if... clauses).

To my dismay the bot doesn't use lightning at all, though. I followed every instruction until I came to the syscall(), from where I can go no further... There must be a reason why the bot does not use the force, but I cannot find one. The solution might be in the syscall() but I cannot have a look... Any ideas?

Wudan
05-27-2003, 11:45 AM
Are there additional conditions / if( 's to your bot using force-lightning? Surely you don't want them to only use force-lightning?

NathanRahl
05-27-2003, 11:53 AM
Well, actually there is a very complicated algorithm behind choosing a force - but that's only for the final bot. While testing I noticed that the bot does not execute my force power wishes most of the time. That's why I told him to use lightning (that's clearly visible if successful) all the time for debugging. But not even that simple approach is successful and now I believe the problem has to lie somewhere in the syscall()...

razorace
05-29-2003, 11:53 PM
syscall() is the function used to send commands to the engine code. You can't always try google and see what you get. :) (use the name of the function that calls syscall)

The best place I've found so far is at http://www.quake3world.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/005563.html