PDA

View Full Version : the trailers worry me..


ILR
05-29-2003, 05:16 PM
The trailers for JA are extremelly small and crappy quality, so I wont take them as the real deal of what the game is... but... If the game is like what those movies are I'm afraid my opinion of the game will be pretty damn low. In the movie (notice how I'm just talking about the low res trailer) the light saber duels appeared to be randomslashing on both sides. I didn't see any real contact between the opposing sabers. If they did get close enough to touch it looked like our current JKII 1.04 saber detection... sabers passing through eachother and/or jerky animations. I really really really hope this is just poor video quality decieving me. Did anyone else notice how the lightsaber vs lightsaber physics haven't really been improved on?

And, yeah, they went insanely overboard with the lightsaber variations. Having a double sided saber that you can split apart. I sure hope they dont force you to have any kind of double/duel saber. I like the single blade myself. And I hope a single bladed Jedi is matched with all those doubled saberists. In the JKII mods with two sabers, the single blade was at the disatvantage.

Prime
05-29-2003, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by ILR
The trailers for JA are extremelly small and crappy quality, so I wont take them as the real deal of what the game is... but... If the game is like what those movies are I'm afraid my opinion of the game will be pretty damn low. In the movie (notice how I'm just talking about the low res trailer) the light saber duels appeared to be randomslashing on both sides. I didn't see any real contact between the opposing sabers. If they did get close enough to touch it looked like our current JKII 1.04 saber detection... sabers passing through eachother and/or jerky animations. I really really really hope this is just poor video quality decieving me. Did anyone else notice how the lightsaber vs lightsaber physics haven't really been improved on?Have a look at the old JO clip, and see how different that is from the actual look and gameplay. I expect this is no different. Good points though :)

Originally posted by ILR
And, yeah, they went insanely overboard with the lightsaber variations. Having a double sided saber that you can split apart. I sure hope they dont force you to have any kind of double/duel saber. I like the single blade myself. And I hope a single bladed Jedi is matched with all those doubled saberists. In the JKII mods with two sabers, the single blade was at the disatvantage. I agree completely. Single lightsaber all the way. I feel the joinable two lightsabers is too over the top.

SettingShadow
05-29-2003, 05:59 PM
After watching the trailer a couple of times, I must say I don't like it. But, I think that what we saw was just an older build, since they said you won't be able to use certain force powers that needed your hands with the dual sabers, and lightstaff, yet we see a dual saber guy push. Also, the force and helth/shield meters are diffrent than those in the latest screenshots.

I haven't really decided if I'm gonna use two sabers, or stick with one.

Luc Solar
05-29-2003, 06:35 PM
I hope they got some good plan for MP.

I'd hate to log on to a server only to realize that I'm back in jedimod-land (or whatever those mods are called) with 20 people running around with multiple quadruplebladed (pink) sabers.

Not being able to use certain force powers seems like one pretty artifical solution. Does that mean that a Jedi who has lost his hand, like Luke or Anakin, could not use their powers anymore?

So if you tie up a jedi, he becomes harmless? What are the powers that the almighty book of the force declares non-usable to anyone with their hands full?

"Not being able to use certain powers" also translates into "a player using a single saber is at an disadvantage, especially in NF games".

They'll have a hard time balancing the stuff out. :(

The Truthful Liar
05-29-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
I hope they got some good plan for MP.

I honestly hope so too.

I'd hate to log on to a server only to realize that I'm back in jedimod-land (or whatever those mods are called) with 20 people running around with multiple quadruplebladed (pink) sabers.

Bahahaha. :p

You're right though. O.o Since JK3 gameplay will revolve more around the lightsaber I can imagine worse will happen - possibly no competative community will exist after a month or so.

Stormtrooper X
05-29-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by ILR the Guy who think's there are more than one JA trailer
The trailers for JA



TrailerS? Plural? Hmmm.:confused:





ILR, that trailer was made a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away.), and there are thousands of enhancements since then. You could even be the creature Plo Koon is.

shock ~ unnamed
05-29-2003, 07:13 PM
I'm willing to bet almost anything the filming of those trailers went like this:

Raven Team Guy #1: Hey you ready to start recording for the trailer?

Raven Team Guy #2: Yeah who's going to play?

Raven Team Guy #1: Hmm, grab Pete the janitor, he's down the hall.

Pete the janitor: What do I do?

Raven Guy #2: Just hold down the forward key and mouse 1 and run around and try to bump into people and hit them with that saber you will be swinging.



Point is that trailer is a "fluff piece". It's intention is not to entice or showcase game play mechanics for the returning fan.

It is intended to make that 9 year old kid watching it, drool and run and beg his parents to buy him a copy.

You never see in depth game play in trailers, it's always flashy explosions or eye candy to target the short attention span consumers.

Same as a commercial or movie trailer really.

And like others said, look at the jk2 trailer and look at the game, totally different when you actually get to play it.

Jedi Legend
05-29-2003, 09:13 PM
The trailer is from an older build of the game, according to a Raven .plan.

Gabrobot
05-29-2003, 11:15 PM
One thing I would like to point out is that many people seem to have only played JKII multiplayer. JKII multiplayer and singleplayer are hugely different...multiplayer's saber was horrible, completely different from singleplayer. So far we have only seen Jedi Academy singleplayer, and it doesn't look like it's going to be worse than JKII singleplayer.

CagedCrado
05-30-2003, 02:08 PM
Hopefully they will use the same system for sabers in multiplayer and single player.

.:Silver:.
06-07-2003, 02:02 AM
"I hope they got some good plan for MP."

They need to stay strong this time and avoid nerfing the game.

JediBozQ
06-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Originally posted by Squater
But, I think that what we saw was just an older build, since they said you won't be able to use certain force powers that needed your hands with the dual sabers, and lightstaff, yet we see a dual saber guy push.

We did. The E3 trailer with that guy pushing the rock down some cliff, knocking a (supposingly) stormtrooper over.

He pushed it and ignited two sabers, remember?

Spider AL
06-07-2003, 12:12 PM
They need to stay strong this time and avoid nerfing the game.Damn right. We all need to band together and crush any whiners that emerge.

Emon
06-08-2003, 06:08 AM
Things to keep in mind:

1. From multiple inteview's we've heard the hit detection is supposed to be much better this time.

2. That demo is from an old build of the game.

3. JO's trailer's weren't much other than random slashing either, they guys at LEC who make these demos clearly cannot play.

Spider AL
06-08-2003, 01:05 PM
3. JO's trailer's weren't much other than random slashing either, they guys at LEC who make these demos clearly cannot play.Damn right Emon, they're utter noobs. :D

Still, I suppose if we spent all our time making games, we'd probably be just as crepe. No time to practice. :(

Emon
06-09-2003, 04:33 AM
The programmers probably have the most experience in playing the game. LEC put together that trailer for E3, not Raven.

I've played several games online with Mike Gummelt before, one of the programmers for JO. One was a duel right as 1.03 came out (and before people realized it sucked), and he was quite good. He had some nifty tricks behind his back I had never seen before. When you work for a year on programming things like AI and saber combat, you really know how it works, and consequently you are damn good at it.

ILR
06-09-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Emon
The programmers probably have the most experience in playing the game. LEC put together that trailer for E3, not Raven.


Lol, When I made single player Doom levels back in the day, I would try to make the most challenging levels ever. I thought they were easy, but I was the only person who could beat them. *shrugs*

Spider AL
06-10-2003, 12:13 PM
The programmers probably have the most experience in playing the game.Of the staff who are making the game, sure. They're still newcomers when compared to those who come after though, the hardened gamers...