PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Gollum

Hindy
05-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Hi,

After the completion of Legolas I have decided to start a new project. The model will be of Gollum and will be based on the Two Towers body proportions.

I will be concentrating on modeling so I have asked JP-30 to skin him. So welcome aboard JP :D

I hoped to post some images of him so far but Im having probs with my webspace, which I hope to sort out soon. So I ll just let you know the state of play...

Head: Completely roughed out, just adding detail to nose and lips. Also refining the eye area so it fits snuggly around a sphere Im using for the eyes.

Body: Again roughed out, adding muscle detail. Also need to add his erm... shorts? well they look like a potato sack held up by rope :D

Aiming for around 3k polys with custom sounds, maybe and a big maybe facial animations

You will have to ask JP bout team colours

Cheers for now

Hindy

SettingShadow
05-30-2003, 12:39 PM
Gollum is one of my favorite characters from LotR, cool that someone's making him, good luck. :D

__CKY__
05-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Sounds good to me :D.

Zathu Koon
05-31-2003, 10:19 PM
This should prove interesting.. good luck!

Hindy
06-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Cheers guys, the modeling is nearing completion but I still cant post images as boomspeed, whom I had a free account with, deleted my account and r not allowing anymore sign-ups.

Any ideas for show free webspace?

Hindy
06-03-2003, 08:18 PM
Ok I joined tripod and made a site with their web creation tools, I didn't plan to do this but it ll do for the time being. I ll probably move back to Boomspeed once I sort my Paypal account.

Ok back to Gollum, if navigate to the WIP: Gollum page I have uploaded an initial head model sheet. I ll post some more pics tomorrow.

Anyways the site (http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/) .

Hindy
06-04-2003, 04:19 PM
Here is the pic off the site if people would prefer to view it inside the thread...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Gollum_headsheet.jpg

I think I will post pics like this in future now I have figured out how to do it...

Im pretty happy with the head at the mo and have attached it to the body, I will post pics once I have finished the tunic thingy.

starunner
06-04-2003, 05:22 PM
Wow, I don't really visit the model showcase forum much, but now I'm glad I did. You've captured his features really well!

Hindy
06-04-2003, 06:38 PM
As promised here is an updated pic, this time it is a full body model sheet. If its too small say so and I ll upload a bigger image

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Gollum%20model%20sheet.jpg

Check out my homepage for more in depth notes on the project so far

INUREYE (http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/)

jp-30
06-04-2003, 08:18 PM
Looking good. As for team colours, the Loincloth will have the variation, and I may slightly tint his skin blueish or reddish.

Wondering if that cloakable shadowtrooper shader could be user to also make a near-invisible version that can be toggled on and off to simulate ring-wearing. :)

Hindy
06-05-2003, 08:33 AM
Hi JP

I was thinking that a tranparency shader would work well with the loincloth as in the film it is ripped all over the place, I have modeled it as a block for that purpose which in turn keeps the poly count down.

Like the idea about the cloakable shadowtrooper shader. I have no idea when it comes to shaders however!

*This model doesn't seem to be generating much interest or maybe people just r not posting... Remember people post your thoughts, interest and feedback helps keep us motivated and producing for the community*

Hellfire Jedi
06-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Fine, you want a crit here is one. :D

Those feet, the toes need to be a bit larger than a normal human when you make them.
That side view of the torso, ekkkkkk!
Its WAY to curvy to be his. Good luck!

Hindy
06-05-2003, 06:43 PM
Hellfire Jedi: Dont get me wrong Im not trying to gain attention but Im new to modeling and the only way Im gonna get better is to be told where Im going wrong and what can be improved.

With regards to the side view, I ll look into it as I was adding muscle definition so some may have to be removed... And the feet argggggh! I hate modeling feet and hands (just added some generic hands)

But thanx for the crit :D "Gotta be cruel to be kind"

jp-30
06-05-2003, 07:43 PM
>> I was thinking that a tranparency shader would work well with the loincloth as in the film it is ripped all over the place, I have modeled it as a block for that purpose which in turn keeps the poly count down. <<

I agree, and no problems. Will the block be weighted to the thighs so it moves when Gollum walks or runs, or will it just hang straight?

>> Like the idea about the cloakable shadowtrooper shader. I have no idea when it comes to shaders however! <<

I'm still a beginner on shaders, and have only played around with transparencies thus far, but I'd probably ask the guy who wrote the shadowtrooper shader if I could use his one and adapt it, with due credit in the readme.

Also, the guys at the showcase foum at massassi.net are a lot more active and constructive when it comes to WIP feedback, so maybe you could consider posting Gollum there too...

inbredyokel
06-05-2003, 11:33 PM
Looks very much like Gollum, though his trunk seems a little too long. On another note, will you be adding some polys to the head for hair? It could be done pretty easily with an alpha shader.

jp-30
06-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Good call. Hindy, check the Yoda model and see how they did it. :)

nomad
06-06-2003, 02:42 AM
Great choice for your next model!
It's looking good so far.
Are you planning on creatively rigging him to the skeleton so that he is very much hunched over? With some tricky alterations to the weighting, you should be able to accomplish a good Gollum posture.
Bend that neck down and hunch those shoulders... of course all that comes much later. As for right now, you seem to be on the right track.
Will you rip sounds from the movies for him? He's got a little bit of dialogue in Fellowship... lots more in TT, which of course has not been (officially) released yet.
Anyways, best of luck... I'm certainly looking forward to this one.

-nomad

MTFBWY

Hindy
06-06-2003, 08:27 AM
JP-30: Yep I ll weight the loincloth to his thighs otherwise it will clip when he runs, plus it ll look more realistic if it moves with him.

inbredyokel: I never thought about that with regards to the hair, I suppose I could even add splines for the hair. As with the body I followed the WETA model sheets for TTT proportions so maybe the loincloth needs to be slightly higher.

Nomad: I wanted to get the posture right, I ll PM PsykOSith to see if he has any ideas once I have finished with the modeling. As for the sounds I think I ll rip from my XVID TTT which I will also take screens for JP to help with skinning.

Cheers guys

Hindy
06-06-2003, 12:38 PM
Ok an update for ya... This a modified 3/4 view of Gollum in response to the feed back I received.

A question though how would you recommend doing the eyes ans mouth? Use spheres for the eyes or flat polygons? A box for the inside of the mouth or just close it?

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Gollum_new.jpg

Hellfire Jedi
06-06-2003, 05:21 PM
Close it, but keep it open a bit, wanna get those teeth in, too. And for the eyes, make a little sphere, it would look better than a flat poly. ...Can I beta test, too? ^_^

Hindy
06-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Hellfire: I dont see y not I didnt really get the time to fully test Legolas so yeah

*Hindy adds Hellfire to his list*

DarkLord60
06-06-2003, 08:31 PM
looks good so far.

Hindy
06-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Ok a little update... I have added eyes and a mouth to the head and will be adding a couple of teeth in a few moments...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Gollum%20model%20head.jpg

Hindy
06-09-2003, 11:27 AM
Ok I have added some teeth, this has taken the poly count to 2,999 which is more or less at the limit! So Im done with adding features and now Im gonna just tweak the verts pulling and pushing them into a better shape...

JP: Do want me to unwrap each of the segmented body parts onto 1 skinmap each or 1 big map with everything on?

Also would you prefer it to be in game before you skin it?

What I did with Legolas was to unwrap each body part onto a separate map get it in game then paint the textures on afterwards.

jp-30
06-09-2003, 07:58 PM
> What I did with Legolas was to unwrap each body part onto a separate map get it in game then paint the textures on afterwards.<

That's my preferred method. I like multiple maps, one per body part.

And as md3view is really unstable for me, having a working .glm to paint on would be great so I can use modview, and also check it out ingame as I go.

kerocool
06-10-2003, 06:30 AM
cool model!!!!!

Hindy
06-10-2003, 05:00 PM
Ok JP... Ive started to put the model in game for ya and I hopefully have it unwrapped by the end of the week, I really dont like this part of the process so thats why its gonna take that long.

Also would you like me to mail you skin maps which are twice the size of the target resolution so you have a bigger space to work on?

jp-30
06-10-2003, 07:37 PM
> Also would you like me to mail you skin maps which are twice the size of the target resolution so you have a bigger space to work on?<

Sure. Send skinmaps & .glm to jph@hansen.net.nz

Hindy
06-10-2003, 07:43 PM
Cool, I didn't plan to but I started unwrapping it tonight and there is not too much to do just Head and Hands to do.

What is your email filesize limit? I dont want to clog up your account...

Your files should be with you by the end of the week... hopefully but no later than Tuesday cos I wanna do a complete Princess Leia model pack, do you fancy skinning them when I ve modeled 'em?

jp-30
06-10-2003, 07:52 PM
No email limit as far as I'm aware, but if it can be kept to under 5MB, that'd be cool (I'm on dialup).

>>Your files should be with you by the end of the week... hopefully but no later than Tuesday cos I wanna do a complete Princess Leia model pack, do you fancy skinning them when I ve modeled 'em?<<

:D You bet!

Psyk0Sith
06-10-2003, 09:03 PM
Just droppin' by, its lookin' real good, keep it up!

Hindy
06-10-2003, 09:36 PM
Thanx PsykO, good to see you around the thread. Your model is looking mighty fine too :D

Hindy
06-11-2003, 11:51 AM
JP I have some good and bad news fro ya. I ve been unwrapping the model and its finished... Thats the good news, but the head was proving difficult so I just did a cylindrical map which means you may get some stretching within the map. Sorry but I dont have the time at present to really sit down and do it.

Hopefully I ll be able to do some more work on it on Saturday but I ve gotta get some university work done before the weekend.

Most of the torso maps however are perfectly flat so hopefully they will be to your liking :D

Until later...

Teenwolf
06-11-2003, 07:18 PM
hindy that is really nice!
Amazing how fast you learned

Hindy
06-11-2003, 07:37 PM
Cheers Teenwolf, Im gonna try and get a job in the industry next year so Im eating and sleeping modeling at present (not going down well with the girlfriend :rolleyes:) trying to build a low poly portfolio...

I ve been at university for the past 3 years doing Graphic Design to find out I dont actually like it at all... Oh well you live and learn :D

jp-30
06-11-2003, 08:05 PM
JP I have some good and bad news fro ya. I ve been unwrapping the model and its finished... Thats the good news, but the head was proving difficult so I just did a cylindrical map which means you may get some stretching within the map. Sorry but I dont have the time at present to really sit down and do it

Well, seeing the head doesn't have any real changes in texture or colour outside of the face area (say skin to hair), that's not an issue. With his slightly blotchy, basically pale single toned flesh any distortion will be insignificant, I reckon.

Bring it on! :)

Hindy
06-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Excellent, if it had been myself texturing him I wouldn't have given it a second thought but cos Im unwrapping it for you I was worried cos I didn't know what standard you are used to... This is only the second model I have unwrapped and is an area where I need to improve...

Lets get this done! I ll get some TTT screen grabs too to help you on your way...

*Hindy is feeling pumped and ready to model!!!*

Hellfire Jedi
06-11-2003, 08:59 PM
I am getting pumped to beta test it! ;)

neo262
06-11-2003, 10:51 PM
Nice model!

Crowy
06-12-2003, 08:48 AM
i second htat motion of "Nice model!"it totally rocks!!!

Hindy
06-13-2003, 10:07 PM
Hi

Sorry for the lack of updates but I ve been pretty bogged down with uni/college work but the model is unwrapped ready for JP-30 just gotta weight him to the skeleton... Rocky II is on the background Im hoping it will inspire me to finish my work!!

Hellfire: I give you the model with no skins so you can give me feedback on the weigting with regards to his movement. OK by you?

C ya

Zappa_0
06-14-2003, 02:04 AM
Very nice cant wait until its finished!

Hindy
06-15-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi all

I've been working on Gollum for the last few hours and he is in game BUT! I have encountered some problems. It is due to the positions of the legs they are too far forward from the skeleton and one leg isn't attached properly well here are some screens to show ya what I mean... Also noticew the stretching of the legs as well...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Gollum_modview.jpg

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Gollum_modview2.jpg

I will finish or try to finish it off tomorrow so JP & Hellfire I ll be in contact soon. Until tomorrow...

C ya later

Hindy
06-23-2003, 04:15 PM
Man no replies in a week... Well then :D u ll b glad to know that he is in game and ready to be skinned... Hellfire & JP the files are winging their way to you now...

So I guess I ll be handing the thread over to JP-30 now...

Hellfire Jedi
06-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Sounds good:D

The Cheat
06-23-2003, 05:12 PM
sounds like you are making good progress. so were u able to fix that bug with the leg?

Hellfire Jedi
06-23-2003, 05:42 PM
Beta testing of this cannot take place. It crashes the game. And the pk3 is passworded.

The Cheat
06-23-2003, 05:53 PM
how are you able to password a pk3 file?

Hindy
06-23-2003, 07:47 PM
Ooops! Sorry Hellfire I sent the wrong file I was testing whether passworded pk3 would work... Hope I sent JP the right one, I ll resend it if thats ok

I put a password in using winzip then just changed the file name.

Hindy
06-23-2003, 07:55 PM
Yep just resent it Hellfire...

TheCheat: Yeah fixed the leg but that was the least of my problems... When I finally put it in game the head & torso were back to front and the lightsaber was about a foot away from Gollum, so I had to start the whole process over plus it was my birthday over the weekend so I didn't pay much attention to it until today and now it is done... Thank god :D

I can at last start on my concept character for the Unreal Tornament Competition, man I need that money ;)

jp-30
06-23-2003, 08:30 PM
This is good timing. I just finished my first batch of object skins for the Dark Forces Mod (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1200528) .

I won't be home to check my email for 8 hours or so, but am already looking forward to getting there to have a crack...

Hindy
06-25-2003, 06:14 PM
I take it the files were ok then JP? Were the skinmaps alright, that is only my third go at unwrapping models and its an area I need to improve...

Good luck I look forward to seing your work :D

jp-30
06-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Yeah. All good. I've never skinned "from scratch" before, and with al those huge areas of flesh, it'll take a little longer than the normal ones where clothes cover most of the body.

But I've made a start, and I'll share progress as I continue.

:)

Hindy
06-25-2003, 08:16 PM
Cool, I checked my email after posting that. If you need any help or better reference you know where I am and I ll try my best to help ya out...

Try this (http://www.quintessentialwebsites.com/lordoftherings/home/index.htm) for more pics as its got tons of good pics.

jp-30
06-27-2003, 09:41 AM
OK, so I think I'll keep everyone up to date on skinning progress.

I finally got to have a good play with the model (it's awesome, Hindy).

This is just a preliminary stage where I make a collage of existing textures (his back and legs are from my Slave Leia skin), and some bits and pieces I cut out of photos (his chest, arms and face) to get everything aligned, and to work as my guide.

So PLEASE don't tell me my seams show, theres a big cross on his back, the calves suck, and that the colours are wrong etc. Again, these are preliminary guide textures!

Having said that I doubt the face will need a lot more work, it came together very well indeed.

So, anyways, here's where I'm at after my first hour or two's mucking around.

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-wip1.jpg

I'll let you know when there's something new to show...

Hindy
06-27-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey man it looks like ya off to a solid start... I take it the maps are holding up ok!It looks as if you are following the contours of the rib cage, they are taken fron the WETA model sheet so should be quite accurate.

Also Hellfire reported the left ankle needed to be tweaked when he tested it in game, have you noticed any probs?

Look forward to your next update :D

Hellfire Jedi
06-27-2003, 03:02 PM
Also, make sure you put anim's or whatever in the hand, so taunts make hte fingers move.

SiThLoRd><1000
06-27-2003, 10:24 PM
"Smeagol...Why do you cry, Smeagol?"
"I told you theys was tricksy, I told yous theys was false..."

Hehe, sorry. Couldn't control it. Wow... That model looks quite amazing. I'm glad people are bringing the LotR characters to JK2. Nice job and good luck on finishing him. This is a sure download.

jp-30
06-27-2003, 10:25 PM
Hey man it looks like ya off to a solid start... I take it the maps are holding up ok!It looks as if you are following the contours of the rib cage, they are taken fron the WETA model sheet so should be quite accurate.

Maps are great, and yeah I'm mapping the ribs onto the contours etc. :)

Also Hellfire reported the left ankle needed to be tweaked when he tested it in game, have you noticed any probs?

I haven't had the chance to view it in game as yet.

Look forward to your next update

Probably a few days away - I have a busy weekend ahead.

Crowy
06-27-2003, 11:10 PM
looks like your skinning work is up to that very high standards you have jp-30, excellent work dude

Hindy
06-28-2003, 03:26 PM
Totally off topic but dunno whether you lot are aware Im gonna enter the NVIDIA Unreal Tournament Comp in the best model catergory... Well would ya like me to post me concept drawings for ya to look at?, it might plug the gap till JP-30 posts another update.

SiThLoRd><1000
06-29-2003, 02:50 AM
That be really great to see! We want to have something to do this weekend ;)

Crowy
06-29-2003, 04:44 AM
that would be neato to see hindy....
good luck with the comp!!!

Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:39 PM
JP you still alive?

Sorry about the concept pics I was being lazy and couldn't be bothered to upload them but the model is nearly done just tweaking now so I ll post some pics soon

jp-30
07-08-2003, 10:43 PM
Yeah. I've been laid up with a stomach bug for best part of last week. Got lots to catch up on work wise.

Should be seeing some major progress on the skin soon - I think I have a free weekend looming.

(ie. I'll try to get the thing close to finished before next week - at a stage where it just needs subtle tweaking pending feedback, and maybe shader work if we're going to do a near "invisible" version too).

Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Man hope ya feeling better ;) . There's no hurry, take your time Im sure it ll be worth it! Do you need any more refermce pics or anything?

jp-30
07-08-2003, 10:51 PM
The more the merrier. Especially of his back - gotta get those boney spine protrusions just right!

Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:54 PM
Your wish is my command... just got hold of a leaked dvd so I ll mail you some pics within the next day or two.

The Cheat
07-08-2003, 10:54 PM
wow this is looking awesome, are you gonna do more modeling with the feet?

jp-30
07-08-2003, 10:56 PM
The feet'll look fine once I skin 'em.

Hindy
07-08-2003, 10:57 PM
Hi no Im quite satisfied with the modeling... The feet look pretty good, it was my first stab at bare feet and they have quite a good shape. They also have a seperate big toe to make it look more foot like which Im sure JP will confirm as its not too clear in the pics.

The Cheat
07-08-2003, 11:16 PM
ok thanks for clearing that up, cant wait to see this model in action:)

Hindy
07-09-2003, 12:29 PM
Hi here is the model sheet for my concept character...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Concept_modelsheet01.jpg

And a render of her so far...

http://members.lycos.co.uk/inureye/hpbimg/Concept_render.jpg

Cheers

Hindy
07-09-2003, 12:41 PM
Suppose I better tell ya where I coming from with this idea. Well I wanted to model a female as I hadn't modeled one before now and I wanted her to look girly but hard, so I got a really feminine face with a harsh shaven head... The face is based off the lovely Jessica Alba mostly cos of lips and eyes.

Onto the body, well that started off completly human but I felt it looked too "Lara Croft" so I began playing with mechanical parts. Below the hips is completely mechanical and so is the left arm mainly for mobility and strength. The top is skin tight to show the female form and to contrast with the mechanical parts... The leg things (whatever they are called!) are inspired from the very Western "gunslinger" look she had in her completely human form.

Ok thats it... Oh yeah she dont have a name yet! So any suggestions welcome, also Im undecided over the colour of the trouser thingy's

C ya

The Cheat
07-09-2003, 01:07 PM
that looks great hindy, i wish you luck in this competitions

jp-30
07-15-2003, 08:21 PM
Managed to sneak in another couple of hours work on Gollum's skin last night.

Things are progressing nicely, and after my next session (hopefully this evening) I will post another WIP screenshot.

I'm aiming to have him finished sometime next week. :)

I could still do with a good reference picture of his back, though....

Hindy
07-16-2003, 05:35 AM
Sorry man totally forgot about the pics! I ve been modeling a car, the above concept model and started on Princess Leia so been quite busy. I going to work now (literally) so I ll mail you tonight if I find my TTT disc as I think I lent it out.

jp-30
07-17-2003, 08:50 AM
As promised, WIP shot #2. Probably ~50% done it this stage. At first glance it probably looks nearly identical to my first skin WIP shot above. But there's a lot more done, it's just sometimes not particularly obvious!

Still need to;
add more definition & detail to arms, legs, back & feet.
Ensure seams are all nicely blended.
Write transparency shader to make skirt more "ropey & dangley".

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-wip2.jpg

Eldritch
07-17-2003, 01:45 PM
Don't make it too ropey - no one wants to see his dangly. :D

Seriously though, nice work on the model, and good job on the skin. The skin does seem a bit light, though. JO has a tendency to lighten the color of the skins in-game, so you might want to consider making them slightly darker so that they appear correct in-game.

The Cheat
07-17-2003, 09:00 PM
looks great, you are an awesome skinner jp

Hindy
07-18-2003, 05:37 AM
Yeah man looking good ;)

jp-30
07-29-2003, 08:59 PM
"almost there, almost there..."

Just the feet to go now! :D

Hindy
07-30-2003, 04:41 PM
No worries I ve been too busy playing Star Wars Galaxies too even worry about modeling... Look forward to seeing the end product :)

The Cheat
07-30-2003, 07:19 PM
sweetness, i cant wait to see the finished skin

jp-30
08-07-2003, 09:24 AM
Getting closer... getting closer... honest I am!

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-ingame1.jpg

Hindy, did the beta tester tell you about gaps in the model? Namely the joins between neck & torso, arm & wrist & torso & hips?

You may have even sent me an updated pk3, I just can't recall... (swapped PC's in the middle of skinning, etc)

[JKZ]_Yun
08-07-2003, 10:24 AM
Nice skin man keep the good working :)

flick_strife
08-07-2003, 01:38 PM
the eyes need replacement and the hand has clipping issues

Hellfire Jedi
08-07-2003, 01:51 PM
Hand has clipping issues? You smoking something? :p

Eldritch
08-07-2003, 05:17 PM
The hand clipping looks to be as good as it's going to get. It always clips a little bit, even with some of the stock models.

As for the eyes, well, I have to disagree. I think the eyes look good. My only suggestion would be to slightly darken the details on his face and maybe add a few wisps of hair on his head using shaders.

jp-30
08-07-2003, 06:36 PM
Since giving me the original pk3, Hindy may have "overlapped" the wrists & the arms to eliminate the gaps. And they may also just be a product of my PC's resolution & graphics settings.

Also if you play this guy with a scaling mod (as intended), the gaps will also reduce and may be eliminated from view.

I think the eyes look good. My only suggestion would be to slightly darken the details on his face and maybe add a few wisps of hair on his head using shaders.

I'm pretty happy with the eyes too.

http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend/gallery/images/gollum/gollum4.jpg

Yeah, a lot of the detail on the texture file gets lost in-game.

I'm not at the highest texture setting for those shots. But I will try and darken some of the features and add darker hair strands (they're there, but they're hard to see in those screenies).

Some of the more "delicate" features are wiped out on that montage due to my 3D card, the gamma correction needed on the screenshots, the resizing of the screenshots from 1024x768 to ~750x550 and finally the JPG compression of the montage.

Psyk0Sith
08-07-2003, 09:47 PM
Lookin good!

Hellfire Jedi
08-07-2003, 10:38 PM
Can I get a amen Psyk0?

jp-30
08-07-2003, 10:46 PM
LOL. You guys are too kind.

Most of the credit should go to Hindy, though. Wonderful model!

I feel pretty bad for the time it's taken me to get the skin together, but it does seem to be shaping up pretty well. I'd hate to have taken this long and it to turn out crap.

Guess Gollum should be released ASAP before everyone's off distracted with JA in a months time.

Still, all the JO models will work in JA, so that's a huge plus! :D

I have nothing much on tonight, so I hope to do the final tweaking and get the JPGs to Hindy for the pk3. I hope he has the sounds all compiled & ready to go!

Any suggestions for team colours? Obviously the loincloth. Other than that there's not a lot to colour. :( Maybe a subtle flesh tint, but that might look terrible.

Crowy
08-08-2003, 02:19 AM
perhaps you could have some kinda tattoos for red and blue versions... it could look alright... doubt it would though!!! just a humble suggestion

Kain
08-08-2003, 03:01 AM
His loincloth and his strands of hair would work for teams

jp-30
08-08-2003, 03:21 AM
Yeah. Maybe red pupils for the red team too, not that you'll get to see them in-game a whole lot...

And maybe some blue bruises and red wounds too.

Anyway I'll have a play around, I'm sure it'll all work out .

jp-30
08-09-2003, 02:52 AM
OK, my work here is done ;)

For some reason the proposed transparency shader to make the loincloth more "ropey" wouldn't work, but I think it looks fine as-is. Maybe Hindy can give it a go if he feels so inclined.

I'd also considered trying to use the shadowtrooper shaders to make an "invisible" version of Gollum wearing the Ring, but this hasn't eventuated either.

Anyway, here's how the skin shapes up. I'll be sending Hindy the pk3 with all my textures in a few minutes.

As you can see I put him in shackles (neck, wrists & left leg) to help with team colour variation.

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-screenshot1.jpg

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-screenshot2.jpg

Mex
08-09-2003, 09:06 AM
:eek: Holy cow! :eek: Man thats good! *Drops on floor*

I can't wait to use that. Can. Not. Wait!

Hellfire Jedi
08-09-2003, 10:45 AM
I hope the beta tester gets that copy. :D The first beta was good enough, now a skinned one!!!!!!!!

[JKZ]_Yun
08-09-2003, 11:17 AM
the hair on the modview sux but in game it ROX! :)

The Cheat
08-09-2003, 10:01 PM
wow, that skin looks really awesome, cant wait to see this thing released

-=DarkZero=-
08-10-2003, 08:07 PM
Holy crap, I almost choked on my chicken bone..
That is an amazing skin jp :o

jp-30
08-11-2003, 02:31 AM
Thanks for those comments, everyone! :o

Well, I emailed the JPGs & icons to Hindy this morning. So now I guess he's just got to put the sounds (and maybe some shaders?) into the .pk3.

Could be a great time to release the model too, what with all the publicity & LOTR interest coming from the Two Towers DVD release later this week!

:D

The Cheat
08-11-2003, 10:42 AM
when does the extended edition of the two towers come out? thats the version i really want to get on dvd

jp-30
08-11-2003, 07:53 PM
Same. I guess it will be out in November - same time the FOTR one was put out.

The Cheat
08-12-2003, 01:49 AM
cant wait, i heard this extended edition will be like 222 minutes long

Zappa_0
08-12-2003, 02:12 AM
Wow JP Gollum is looking great. I cant wait to see it in game.

Sam Fisher
08-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Nice model, we wants it, my presscious..

The Cheat
08-14-2003, 12:30 PM
the hair looks kind of strange in some of the pics but it looks fine in the ingame shots

Hekx
08-26-2003, 05:52 AM
It's looking great. ;)
If you need another reference shot of the head, I found a nice latex mask of Gollum. :D

http://www.spookyplanet.com/Web2003/images/movie_masks/RU50626-Golum-MASK-l.jpg

Miko Reglia
08-26-2003, 06:47 AM
heh, so since this awsome model is sorta coming to a close, what do you have next on your list of models hindy?

jp-30
08-26-2003, 07:24 AM
Princess Leia, if his sig is to be believed. ;)

Hindy
08-28-2003, 11:51 AM
Hi

sorry about the lack of updates but with finishing university, losing my harddrive (again!!!!!) and star wars galaxies i havent been around much... oh and im looking for a job too

Ok i really need some sounds for Gollum to bring to a close a thoughly pleasing project. I will look over the weighting in the mean time.

So if anyone wants to do the sounds post here and u will get the credit for ur work

Many thanx to JP for his awesome skinning job and i would like to take this oppertunity (spelling?) to ask whether u would like to skin a complete Leia pack covering Leia's from every film?

Thanx everyone for the support and interest in this project

Regards

Hindy

jp-30
08-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Many thanx to JP for his awesome skinning job

Thanks for the opportunity. It was harder than I first anticipated, but came together well in the end.

I'm looking forward to someone assisting with the sounds and the model getting out with all the TTT DVD buzz about.

and i would like to take this oppertunity (spelling?) to ask whether u would like to skin a complete Leia pack covering Leia's from every film?

So bad it hurts! :D

Star Wars skins are my real love. And clothed, attractive, models will be nice after Gollum!

My last project was a Leia skin for a "universal female" model. It's not been released, and I've learned a lot since I whipped it up.

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/slaveleia-screenshot1.jpg

I would love to have the opportunity to skin a proper Leia model in her various outfits from ther movies! :D

The Cheat
08-30-2003, 01:49 AM
a leia pack would be awesome, if we only got some good models for the different movies, the only one available to my knowledge is the one from jabbas palace

jp-30
08-31-2003, 07:16 AM
if we only got some good models for the different movies

Uhh. Hindy will make all the models from the different movies, and I'll skin them.

Brodin
09-06-2003, 02:35 PM
lookin' great! shame i dont even have JKII ;)

tFighterPilot
09-07-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by jp-30
Thanks for the opportunity. It was harder than I first anticipated, but came together well in the end.

I'm looking forward to someone assisting with the sounds and the model getting out with all the TTT DVD buzz about.

So bad it hurts! :D

Star Wars skins are my real love. And clothed, attractive, models will be nice after Gollum!

My last project was a Leia skin for a "universal female" model. It's not been released, and I've learned a lot since I whipped it up.

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/slaveleia-screenshot1.jpg

I would love to have the opportunity to skin a proper Leia model in her various outfits from ther movies! :D The face would need a major reskin to look like Carrie Fisher.

jp-30
09-07-2003, 11:16 PM
The face would need a major reskin to look like Carrie Fisher.

The textures in that collage are old. I've learned a lot since then, and I will be starting from scratch.

jp-30
12-05-2003, 10:44 PM
It would be really nice to actually see this model released.

With all the ROTK hype around the planet, I can't think of a better time.

All we're waiting on is for someone to make a custom sound pack for the model.

Anyone volunteer? You'd get a co-credit, right Hindy

http://www.hansen.net.nz/skins/gollum-ingame1.jpg

If no-one does volunteer, I'll try and find some myself time in the next week or two... :(

RJW_ca
12-05-2003, 11:50 PM
I like making sounds--the sounds I make are pretty clear
I made the sounds for Aaron Smith's Quinlan_Vos model
anyway if you would like my helpjust let me know.

RJW_ca "OUT"

jp-30
12-06-2003, 12:32 AM
That'd be cool. If I recall correctly, Hindy was wanting sounds ripped from the FOTR & TTT DVDs.

Are you able to do that?

CaladienJedi
12-06-2003, 12:58 AM
Something like "mmm precious" would be good.

RJW_ca
12-06-2003, 11:07 AM
I can rip sounds from the DVD's
and the MTV movie awards that Gollum was on!!!
NO PROBLEM!!!
--as long as I can teast the model while doing them
--I like to make sure the models lips move with the voice.
thats how I test out my sounds of the models I do voice for.

RJW_ca

RJW_ca@rogers.com

jp-30
12-07-2003, 12:43 AM
Well, from memory, I don't think the mouth on this model animates.

At any rate I dropped Hindy an email, hopefully he's still on the same address, and I asked him to check in here to allow you to compile a sound pack fro Gollum so we can finally release the little goblin...

Hindy
12-07-2003, 10:56 PM
Hi all

Im still alive if anyone wondered lol, I ve been lost in SWG for the past 4 months or so and havent done any modeling since the summer...

RJW_ca: if u can PM me and tell me exactly what u want i ll send the model pack to u, It does not have facial aniamtions at present.

JP Thanx for the heads up, i havent been here for a while...I must get back onto the modeling scene but the lure of SWG is to great atm

jp-30
12-07-2003, 11:16 PM
No worries Hindy - good to see you back, man - and it'll be a perfect time to finally release Gollum, what with all the movie hype. :D

Still keen to skin the Leia pack, should you ever get around to it. ;)

Miko Reglia
12-07-2003, 11:58 PM
awsome, im glad this model will finally see the light of day:)

Lil Killa
12-08-2003, 01:34 AM
JP I can help with the transparancy of the loincloth thing if your using photoshop or any other program that does alpha channels.. post here, pm me, or email/msn me at austinm316@hotmail.com. Skin and model are looking good Hindi and JP :cool:

RJW_ca
12-08-2003, 02:53 AM
just send me the model
to my email if you can or we can meet on MSN
this way I can see how why work with the model but mouth movement would be better

RJW_ca"OUT"

Hellfire Jedi
12-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Why do you need the model to do sounds?
I'm the beta tester anywho. :o

BTW, RJW, this is a JK2 model, not JA.

jp-30
12-08-2003, 04:38 PM
> Why do you need the model to do sounds?

To ensure they all work properly, and to save Hindy from having to integrate the sound pack himself.

> I'm the beta tester anywho.

It's not an exclusive role, as far as I'm aware.

> BTW, RJW, this is a JK2 model, not JA.

JO models work fine in JA.

Hindy
12-09-2003, 10:40 AM
Hi

Thanx for the interest, i ll mail the pack to RJW as soon as i find it.

With regards to the Leia pack i have 3 heads that need tweaking and hair...i used a face from each movie as Leia seemed to slim down after ANH

I will start modeling again, just need inspiring...My Homer Simpson pack will prolly b first to hit though, just has a problem area around the eyes

Hindy

jp-30
12-21-2003, 06:46 PM
Any progress on the sound pack for Gollum?

Zappa_0
12-21-2003, 08:08 PM
Yes indeed it would be a good time to release it and possible maybe do a younger Gollom aswell. The screenshots of Gollom looks awesome, I cant wait to see it totally finished.

RJW_ca
12-21-2003, 11:38 PM
Just send me the model and you'll have the sounds np!!
I LOVE MAKING LOTS OF SOUNDS FOR THE MODELS I GET!!
So--don't worry people you'll love it!!!

right from the movie!

RJW_ca "OUT"

jp-30
12-22-2003, 04:31 AM
There's nothing stopping you getting the sound pack prepared prior to the model being delivered. :)

RJW_ca
12-22-2003, 11:16 PM
trust me I know--but I'd like to know if I am the one to actually do it--with the model attained then I am sure

RJW_ca "OUT"

RJW_ca@hotmail.com

jp-30
02-12-2004, 08:04 PM
Did you get the model yet? I sent you a link last month...

:(

RJW_ca
02-12-2004, 08:15 PM
I've been collecting sound samples for the Gollum model do you want this model to be skinned by someone too?

RJW_ca "OUT"

jp-30
02-13-2004, 08:11 PM
Umm. I've already skined it.

Hindy
02-25-2004, 04:54 PM
Any news on the sounds yet?

LightNinja
02-29-2004, 09:57 AM
It would be a problem if you just open the last max you saved and put the fingers like holding a saber?

Zappa_0
07-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Its been almost 6 months since we have heard anything about the gollum model. What happened to the project?

tFighterPilot
07-12-2004, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
Its been almost 6 months since we have heard anything about the gollum model. What happened to the project? Now what have we told you about bumping old thread to ask how the model is?

Zappa_0
07-12-2004, 07:28 AM
I am just posting to see what ever happened to Gollum, thats all.

Samuel Dravis
07-14-2004, 12:03 AM
Yeah, what did happen to it? :confused:

Zappa_0
07-14-2004, 01:58 AM
See TFP, im not the only one interested!

Darth_Kitty
07-14-2004, 03:54 AM
"OF COURSE I CAN!
I can rip sounds from the DVD's
and the MTV movie awards that Gollum was on!!!
NO PROBLEM!!!
"

Thats all we need ;)

Take him downtown boys :p

EvillittleJawa
07-14-2004, 06:07 AM
someone was making a Gollum model? what happend to it then?

Hindy
07-20-2004, 06:48 AM
Well i never heard back from the guy whom was meant to b doing the sound files...

I am modeling again and still have the Gollum file, he just needs sounds. I may also do a bit of tweaking too :) who knows.

Hindy will be making models for JK/JA again tho, just bout to start on princess leia

Regards

Hindy

Zappa_0
07-20-2004, 04:49 PM
Wasnt RJW_ca doing the sounds? I also would love to see that Leia released as well. Hope to see some updates soon!

Hindy
07-21-2004, 07:59 AM
He was but i havent heard anything from him? Lol prolly legged it with mine and JP's work :(

Im working on Leia now as we speak :) i ll post a pic once i have the head roughed out...

So keep ur eyes open for my new WIP thread

Hindy

tFighterPilot
07-21-2004, 08:43 AM
I got LOTR TTT on my computer, maybe I'll be able to help with the sounds.

Zappa_0
07-21-2004, 09:04 AM
I think RJW has the sounds done, im not really sure. I will ask him later today and see what he has done so far.

Hindy
07-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Cool thanx, im currently battling with 3DS Max that is crashing every few mins so Leia is taking longer than i thought. I could post a pic of the mesh if u guys r interested in what Im doing... I ll need some good pics for textures tho

Hindy

tFighterPilot
07-21-2004, 12:50 PM
http://www.artoflawmack.com/images/CARRIE_FISHER016.jpg
http://www.bapwatch.co.uk/Star%20Wars/gw529.jpg
?

Zappa_0
07-21-2004, 08:37 PM
LOL TFP! Looks life like!!!:D

tFighterPilot
07-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
LOL TFP! Looks life like!!!:D Best pictures I found of Carrie Fisher. I think it can help him with the skin.

Zappa_0
07-22-2004, 12:18 AM
Yea, those are pretty good!

Hindy
07-29-2004, 01:51 PM
Are the bloody sounds done yet? being done whatever? Man this project should have been done and dusted last year

LightNinja
07-30-2004, 07:52 AM
hindy could you make the gollum hands like holding a saber?

Zappa_0
08-01-2004, 09:29 PM
He told me that the sounds and everything was done and he was waiting on for someone to contact him back or something, I dont know. I will see if I can get him to send me the sounds and then I will send it on to you.

Zappa_0
10-18-2004, 10:12 AM
Gollum shall be coming back after the terrible fall at Mount Doom. Hindy has sent me the model and I will be adding the sounds to it and should have it done by the weekend hopefully. Watch out JA, Gollum is coming to town!

jp-30
10-18-2004, 12:47 PM
Wow! Better late than never...

LightNinja
10-19-2004, 09:05 AM
ouch most sure he didnt fix the hands :(

Zappa_0
10-19-2004, 09:14 AM
The only bugs I have found so far are that around the neck, hands and other areas have a small white crack. Also theres a bug with double sabers. Im gonna start on the sounds this evening when I get home, so im gonna try to have it ready for release within days.

Falkener
11-09-2005, 11:22 PM
MY PRECIOUS...

Lathain Valtiel
11-10-2005, 01:42 AM
...Dare I ask what happens if he attempts to pull a dual barrier? If one saber stays in his hand I'll petition for this not being labeled a JA model. I'm not kidding either.

LightNinja
11-10-2005, 04:49 PM
joooder, don't you see my friends THIS THREAD IS ****ING DEATH?..pffff !

El Sitherino
11-10-2005, 05:09 PM
Seriously, what the hell?

This thread is over 2 years old.

StaffSaberist
11-10-2005, 07:07 PM
Falkener, try sorting threads NEWEST first... this isn't the first time you did this...

Yun yuny
11-11-2005, 02:40 PM
he's just new, deal with it...