PDA

View Full Version : Wont be doing much....anymore...

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 12:35 AM
Hi Guys. And, kinda...bye. During this summer, I'm not gonna be able to come as much on the forums, or internet. This also means that I'm holding off Shrinks v.2 and Last Entry...by like 3 months :( I'm going to be indulging in sunlight and practicing on my guitar. I havent practiced for like 7 months, and I just had a sudden inspiration to start again. So, I'm just saying, that I wont be on as much....I hope you guys don't miss me TOO much....

(But remember, I still will be on, maybe every other day.) :)

-Acrylic "Frei" Guitar

obi
05-31-2003, 12:42 AM
Ok, Frei, have fun, or don't, whatever floats your boat. =)

If anyone wants my guitar, I will be throwing it out of my house soon, so first come first serve. =)

Darklighter
05-31-2003, 01:04 AM
Awwwww:(It's a massive shame to see you go for now AG. Come back and see us whenever you can, you will be greatly missed.

See you, Space Cowboy...

:)

ZBomber
05-31-2003, 01:10 AM
Believe me, you'll suddenly hate your guiatar and come back to LF. I should know. ^_^

Well, hope to see you sometimes, AG. :)

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 01:17 AM
Oh guys! Dont be so depressed! I'm not leaving!!! I repeat: I"M NOT LEAVING. I'm just saying I wont be on as often as I usually am. :)

Lunatic Jedi
05-31-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by AcrylicGuitar
I'm going to be indulging in sunlight

WHAT?! NOOOO!!!

SUNLIGHT BAD!!! OUTSIDE BAD!!! NATURE BAD!!! :tsk:

INSIDE GOOD!!! COMPUTER GOOD!!! LF GOOD!!! :joy:

Tyrion
05-31-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Lunatic Jedi
WHAT?! NOOOO!!!

SUNLIGHT BAD!!! OUTSIDE BAD!!! NATURE BAD!!! :tsk:

INSIDE GOOD!!! COMPUTER GOOD!!! LF GOOD!!! :joy:

YES! SUNLIGHT BAAAAD! RADATION FROM COMPUTER GOOD!

CLICKY CLICK CLICK VERY GOOD! :joy:

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion

Well, I dont get any radiation (I dont think) Cuz I have an LCD Flat Panel.

Lunatic Jedi
05-31-2003, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion

Yes, that's the idea!

*Huddles in the corner muttering "Inside good, outside bad, inside good outside bad..." *

Tyrion
05-31-2003, 01:46 AM
Well, I dont get any radiation (I dont think) Cuz I have an LCD Flat Panel.

I will GLADLY give my precious radiation big monitor for your LCD Flat *drools* Panel. It'll be tough..but I can survive..:joy:

edlib
05-31-2003, 01:47 AM
Practice the guitar... that's a novel idea. I really should do more of that myself. :(
At the very least I should get around to re-stringing a few of them before they completely rust over...

Lunatic Jedi
05-31-2003, 01:50 AM
Alright, but stay in the house when you restring it! INSIDE GOOD! OUTSIDE BAD!!!

Writer
05-31-2003, 02:00 AM
Guitar, huh? Cool! I'm learning piano. I agree with the guys, though. Outside bad!!

(Suddenly realizes what he said and what his plans for the summer are)

Umm... never mind. I'll be in the sun for a good long time over the period of two weeks.

(Walks off muttering) Why must I do this to myself??

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by wildjedi
Guitar, huh? Cool! I'm learning piano.[/SIZE]

Well, I had my guitar for 3 years, and barely learned anything. And I see people who have been playing for 3 years, and they are AWESOME!!!!!!

Lunatic Jedi
05-31-2003, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by wildjedi
I'll be in the sun for a good long time over the period of two weeks.SIZE]

NO!!! NO!!! OUTSIDE BAD!!! :eek:

Grilled-Sarlacc
05-31-2003, 03:50 AM
We'll be here when you come back! Have fun with Guitar! I havn't touched mine in forever!

RpTheHotrod
05-31-2003, 08:13 AM
Hey, I'll miss ya while you're not here ;) But at least you arn't leaving.

Death_Jedi
05-31-2003, 08:50 AM
mmm.....i will be going outside......and i will be getting myself a nice tan.....and i will be playing my guitar....OUTSIDE HAAHAHA

StormHammer
05-31-2003, 01:14 PM
Have fun in Real-Life™

Come again soon. :D

And make that guitar sing...

;)

Thrackan Solo
05-31-2003, 01:26 PM
:( :(
If you must. As long as you practice the guitar and noto go to some other heathen forums:evil1:

edlib
05-31-2003, 01:30 PM
Well, I had my guitar for 3 years, and barely learned anything. And I see people who have been playing for 3 years, and they are AWESOME!!!!!!
Yeah, well... I've been playing for about 16 years, graduated from Berklee College Of Music, have been working there for over 3 years now,.. and I still feel that I suck big time!
I know kids less than half my age that can totally clean my clock. It gets a bit depressing sometimes, but I really try not to dwell on it.

Try not to compare your progress with others. You may not be able to see it, but you can already do things that they can't do. Just work on doing something new every day that you couldn't do yesterday, and not trying to do something that someone you know can do, only faster. You'll drive yourself crazy that way, and you'll never really succeed.

Check out this website: http://www.maui.net/~zen_gtr/
and get the Zen Guitar book and read it.

You may ultimately find that your strengths in music aren't in being a great guitar player or performer, but as a composer or songwriter,.. and there's no shame in that.

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by edlib
Yeah, well... I've been playing for about 16 years, graduated from Berklee College Of Music, have been working there for over 3 years now,.. and I still feel that I suck big time!
I know kids less than half my age that can totally clean my clock. It gets a bit depressing sometimes, but I really try not to dwell on it.

Try not to compare your progress with others. You may not be able to see it, but you can already do things that they can't do. Just work on doing something new every day that you couldn't do yesterday, and not trying to do something that someone you know can do, only faster. You'll drive yourself crazy that way, and you'll never really succeed.

Check out this website: http://www.maui.net/~zen_gtr/
and get the Zen Guitar book and read it.

You may ultimately find that your strengths in music aren't in being a great guitar player or performer, but as a composer or songwriter,.. and there's no shame in that.
Wow...thanks for the advice. I feel that oneday, I may become something in the music indusry. If not a guitar player, maybe a producer, or own a record label. Who knows? Only time will tell. :)

Thrackan Solo
05-31-2003, 02:43 PM
I have been playing guitar for about 3 and a half years. I played in a garage band for a little while, but now I am starting my own band.
I am pretty good at the guitar ( I think, or so my friends say) I just practive about an hour a day. It helps. If you want some free tabs(though not always correct) go to www.guitartabs.cc

It has just about all the taabs you want. :)

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by Thrackan Solo
I have been playing guitar for about 3 and a half years. I played in a garage band for a little while, but now I am starting my own band.
I am pretty good at the guitar ( I think, or so my friends say) I just practive about an hour a day. It helps. If you want some free tabs(though not always correct) go to www.guitartabs.cc

It has just about all the taabs you want. :)

Hmmm! Nice Site! I also use guitar pro 4, and it has interactive tabs in a way. I get the interactive tabs at www.mysongbook.com

Pad
05-31-2003, 04:14 PM
i hate to see a good member go, but do what you gotte do buddy. ;)

and make sure you drop by as often as you can

* gets MIA case ready *

Lunatic Jedi
05-31-2003, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by Death_Jedi
mmm.....i will be going outside......and i will be getting myself a nice tan.....and i will be playing my guitar....OUTSIDE HAAHAHA

Why do you do this to me? :(

*Cries* :cry8:

ET Warrior
05-31-2003, 05:04 PM
Bah, Guitar..........phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll always be your fan-boy AG, don't you forget that when you're a world famous guitar player!!!!!!!!!!!

Lunatic Jedi
05-31-2003, 05:07 PM
And I will always hate you for betraying the all-encompassing creed of not going outside. :mad:

BUT CAN I STILL GET BACKSTAGE PASSES? :D

ZBomber
05-31-2003, 05:23 PM
And I will always hate you for betraying the all-encompassing creed of not going outside. :mad:

BUT CAN I STILL GET BACKSTAGE PASSES? :D

What if its an outisde concert. ;)

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Bah, Guitar..........phhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I'll always be your fan-boy AG, don't you forget that when you're a world famous guitar player!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:! You guys are making it sound like I'm leaving....I'm not!!!!!!! :p

ZBomber
05-31-2003, 05:36 PM
:lol:! You guys are making it sound like I'm leaving....I'm not!!!!!!! :p

Oh AG! Don't leave! PLEASE!

...Oh... yeh... :D
Well, good luck with the guiatar. ;)

Kstar__2
05-31-2003, 05:40 PM
well, come here as often as possbile

*looks through curtain*
baaaaad, sun, GHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

=(BoD)= M.D.B.
05-31-2003, 06:30 PM
Hmmm, you are NOT leaving and everybody says good bye?
Good luck with guitar training!!
And im going be outside the entire summer:D

ZBomber
05-31-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by {TK} M.D.B [AS]
Hmmm, you are NOT leaving and everybody says good bye?
Good luck with guitar training!!
And im going be outside the entire summer:D

What if we tie you to a chair for the rest of the summer? :p

Thrackan Solo
05-31-2003, 06:35 PM
*gets rope**ties everyone to chairs*

Ha the forums are under quarantine no one can leave! We dont want the insanity to spread!

ET Warrior
05-31-2003, 08:32 PM
It's not that I think you're leaving, but since you're practicing guitar to someday be in a band, I wanted to REMIND you that I'm your fan-boy. And you damn well better remember it!

Acrylic
05-31-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
It's not that I think you're leaving, but since you're practicing guitar to someday be in a band, I wanted to REMIND you that I'm your fan-boy. And you damn well better remember it!

I will....*sniff* ALWAYS!

Hold up your lighters and sing We are the Champions!!!!!!

Tyrion
05-31-2003, 08:54 PM
Dont forget your hobo either!

:ball:

Lunatic Jedi
05-31-2003, 09:03 PM
Hobo: Don't leave home without it.

On second thought, don't leave home. Period.

Death_Jedi
06-01-2003, 02:21 AM
Hmmm! Nice Site! I also use guitar pro 4, and it has interactive tabs in a way. I get the interactive tabs at www.mysongbook.com

Heres another tab site mxtabs (http://www.mxtabs.net) , iv only been playing for a year , do u guys know any songs with an easy end bit.....you no hardcore on the bottom sting

teutonicknight
06-01-2003, 03:35 AM

(But remember, I still will be on, maybe every other day.) :)

-Acrylic "Frei" Guitar

Another has fallen to the dark side....

Lunatic Jedi
06-01-2003, 03:37 AM
Yes, the dark side... the OUT SIDE!!! GAHHH!!!

OUTSIDE BAD!!! NATURE BAD!!!

topshot
06-01-2003, 04:32 AM
"GAH! THIS ONE'S GONE INTO A COMA! WE NEED A MEDIC HERE STAT!"

j/k :D
---------------------
Well, good luck with your guitar, Acrylic. Lay the smackdown on those strings! :rock:

Well, since you'll be off and on at times, I guess I'm going to get poked by some non-lethal force, and all I can say is...........See you 'round these here parts sometime soon.

As most others have said here so far (pardon me while I do my own rendition):"Outside BAD! Inside GOOD! NATURE BAD! TECHNOLOGY GOOD!" :D :D :D

Lunatic Jedi
06-01-2003, 06:01 AM
YES! THAT'S MY MOTTO!

WORDS TO LIVE BY, MY FRIEND!!! WORDS TO LIVE BY!!! GAH HA HA HA HA!!!

*Runs screaming into the night*

topshot
06-01-2003, 06:08 AM
LJ wrote:
YES! THAT'S MY MOTTO!

WORDS TO LIVE BY, MY FRIEND!!! WORDS TO LIVE BY!!! GAH HA HA HA HA!!!

*Runs screaming into the night*

Yep, that's it folks. He's finally lost it! :D

Lunatic Jedi
06-01-2003, 06:09 AM
*Runs screaming back over to Topshot*

I POKE THE POTATO!!!

*Runs screaming into the night again*

topshot
06-01-2003, 06:14 AM
LJ wrote with the power of his mind:
*Runs screaming back over to Topshot*

I POKE THE POTATO!!!

*Runs screaming into the night again*

Looks like I was right! Time to call in the Terminator to catch his crazy deranged ***!!!!!! :D (No Offense, LJ :D )

Acrylic
06-01-2003, 03:05 PM
...Its people like you that scare me.....:indif:

Mex
06-01-2003, 03:47 PM
OUTSIDE BAD, INSIDE GOOD! CLICKTY CLICKTY CLICK! :joy:

Meh.. Good luck..

And, I'm actually crying a bit because KOTOR is coming out in the uk in september, when i thought it was coming out in july! I AM CRYING A BIT!

topshot
06-01-2003, 04:34 PM
A.G. replied:
...Its people like you that scare me.....:indif:

I could have said the same thing about you, but you're too cool for me to never say anything to insult you. (Hope you get what I mean :cool: ) Otherwise, these guys would have my head thrusted on a spike just like Morgan Katarn back in JK. :D

Lunatic Jedi
06-01-2003, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Captain wing
And, I'm actually crying a bit because KOTOR is coming out in the uk in september, when i thought it was coming out in july! I AM CRYING A BIT!

And its people like YOU that scare ME. :eek:

Acrylic
06-01-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by topshot
I could have said the same thing about you, but you're too cool for me to never say anything to insult you. (Hope you get what I mean :cool: )

I don't.....lol. I'll PM ya! :p

Mex
06-01-2003, 04:41 PM
And its people like YOU that scare ME. :eek:

:joy: I'm so special arent I?

Lunatic Jedi
06-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Depends on what you mean by "special..."

Reborn Outcast
06-02-2003, 07:01 PM
Sorry for postin so late in this thread. I was away for the weekend. :D

Well, hope ya get better at it Acrylic. :D

And say hello to the outside world for me. :p

Solbe M'ko
06-03-2003, 04:38 AM
Try www.mikesguitarsite.co.uk It has nice complete and pretty much accurate PowerTab. I've been playing about a year, and I'm starting to get some real breakthroughs. My speed is improving, though I have trouble keeping the noise down. I reccomend this site to anyone looking for accurate tab; particualrly strong on Clapton.

-PS- Does anyone know where I can find some Albert Collins tab?

Anyway, I hope your adventures outside don't warp you too much. I've heard too many creepy stories about that place that isn't my basement. "Break a deal, spin the wheel" and all that. If Tina Turner wants to send you into the desert with a Mardi Gras mask on, tell her "no".

access_flux
06-03-2003, 06:21 AM
acrylic, this isn'T goodbye, this is as they say in the famous australian movie 'Gallipolli'

-'i'll seeya when i see ya'

-'not if i see you first'

have a good one and seeya later, mate!

Skate Boy
06-03-2003, 08:27 AM
I can't think of a better reason to not get on as much than learning guitar. Tis a noble deed.Just pratice a lot, that's what I do. Then, someday, you might even be close to as good as I am!

:D

edlib
06-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Solbe M'ko
My speed is improving, though I have trouble keeping the noise down.

-PS- Does anyone know where I can find some Albert Collins tab?

A few bits of advice from someone who's been there, done that...

1.) String muting is essential. "Keeping the noise down" is really the main thing that seperates a pro from a beginner. Start getting in the habit TODAY of muting every string but the one(s) you are playing using both hands. It's awkward at first, and will almost feel like a step backwards when you first try to implement it into your playing, but eventually it will become 2nd nature, and your playing will sound much cleaner.
This was a lesson that took me way too long to learn when I started. The sooner you start conciously doing it, the sooner you will be able to do it unconciously.
Eric Johnson spends a long time on his instructional vid "Total Electric Guitar" talking about just that.

2.) Don't worry too much about speed right now. Concentrate on playing clean, in tune, and in time and the chops will develop on thier own. It's far more impressive to see someone playing slowly, but hitting all the right notes and dead on the beat than it is to see someone flailing around really fast, but out of key and out of time. Always strive for musicality over speed. Think of David Gilmore.

3.) Break the tab habit early. Instead of looking for the tab for your favorite songs, sit down and strive to learn it by ear off the recording. It'll be frustrating at first, and you'll get a lot wrong the first try, especially the chords, but the more you do it the better you'll get at it, until you will get the point where you'll be able to play the parts along with the recording the first or second time you hear it. Learn to play the bass lines and vocal melodies as well,.. it will help. Take it slow, and start on something easy.
After you learn all the guitar parts to a song by ear, then check the tab to see if there was anything you missed and how accurate you were.
(Learning to sight read is also a good thing to work on. There is far more sheet music out there without tab than there is with tab. It can't do anything but help you if you do, although it is a huge commitment in time and effort.)

These are all mistakes I made, and bad habits I developed when first starting to play that I had to eventually learn to break. Your progress will go much quicker if you don't start or work to break them now.

Solbe M'ko
06-03-2003, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the reply, it actually means a lot to me that some one gave me pointers! :)

Anyway, the playing by ear thing isn't the problem for me, I learned "Layla" by ear the first month I had my guitar. My problem is knowing what key a song is in.

Um, also, is there a good way to finger slide? I find that I press to hard, so the slide sounds choppy, and when I try to ease up I wind up muting the string.

Thanks again, Ed.
:guitar2 <= Me
:explode: <= Dad

-Edit- On second though, this thread is getting off topic. I'll go start a newby guitarist thread so as not to disturb the mourners.

edlib
06-03-2003, 11:59 PM
No problem! Glad to help! Please feel free to learn from my mistakes! ;) It's why old-timers exist... to save you time. :D
No, really... learning the hard way is over-rated. I wish I had listened to some of the people who warned me when I first started. I'd be a better player today.

Are you talking about using a slide, or just running your finger up the string (A glissando)?
Doing a gliss is just a matter of keeping at it until you get the tone you want. It's like when you first try to play an F-chord: holding those two strings down with one finger at the same time and making them both ring clear clear is the hardest thing in the world. But after a couple of weeks it's no problem. Just keep at it. Having thick calluses on your fingers helps.

If you're talking about playing with a slide though:
Most guys who play a lot of slide will tell you that they usually have another guitar set up specifically for slide work. Usually with the action set higher (strings higher above the neck) and heavier strings.
If you want a guitar to do both then I guess you should check out different types of slides to find a lighter one that allows you to get a clean note without fretting out on the fingerboard.
A glass bottle slide, like the Coriciden bottle that Duane Allman used to use will probably be the lightest and easiest to control if you are using the same instrument for both. I have one of these. Dunlop sells them and you should be able to get them at any good gutiar shop.
Try a few out though, you may find something you like better.

Learning the bass lines and vocal melody will almost always tell you what key you're in. The bass is almost always going to outline the chord progression, and the vocal is always going to be based on the root scale of the key. Betwwen these two things it's often easier to resolve the key of a song than trying to pick it out of a wierd guitar part taht might be jumping all over the place.
Also: The more you do it the better you'll be at picking out keys. Most rock and pop bands only play in a small handful of keys, usually stuff that falls easy on the guitar. As your ears get better at picking out chords you'll be able to hear the root of the key. Experience is really the only guide to something like this.