PDA

View Full Version : .pk3

Arekusu
06-01-2003, 02:09 AM
okay, i'm not exactly sure on how to change a zip file into a pk3 to compile the skins... how do you do it?

Obsidian-Jovani
06-01-2003, 02:12 AM
Simple.

Rename it with a .pk3 extension instead of a .zip.

Arekusu
06-01-2003, 02:18 AM
but when I do that all the happens is I get a file like this, "model.pk3.zip"

Obsidian-Jovani
06-01-2003, 05:12 AM
Okay. Do this manually by right clicking on the zip file and choose rename. Don't rename it with WinZip's rename utitlity.

Arekusu
06-01-2003, 05:26 AM
i did that, it didn't work... i had to take a pk3 file, copy and paste it, rename, empty, and fill it with all the zip files... but now it wont work in the game... I can't choose the skin, or type the /model console command, it just changes to the kyle model.

lassev
06-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Go to the folder options in windows explorer and switch off the setting to hide file extensions (or was it to switch on to show them, I don't remember). At least then you should get rid of the .zip.

Obsidian-Jovani
06-01-2003, 01:16 PM
To really simplify matters download Pakscape (http://home.attbi.com/~binarysunsetstudios/tools/pakscape011.zip). This powerful utility is similar to winzip, but it is easier to use. After installing just open it , create a new file, and then copy and paste your folders into Pakscape work window. Then save your work as a .pk3 (Under Save As choose Quake 3 Pak).

Simplify man... (hippy dude from the Simpsons)

Arekusu
06-01-2003, 04:30 PM
i got the pk3 file together (thanks for the help) but now i'm struggling... in-game when i load the model, all I see is an invisible model. so i see a floating hand holding a lightsaber 0_o

this is so confusing... i thought the skinning would be the hard part... does anyone who knows what they're doing have AIM? or MSN or something? please help!!!

Obsidian-Jovani
06-01-2003, 06:19 PM
Here look at this recent thread. http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100962
Someone is having the same problem. It looks like the problem is with your skin weighting. I'm not a modler so I can't help you there.