PDA

View Full Version : Mojo, what they have done to you: a short story.

Jake
06-08-2003, 04:09 PM
As you might have noticed, we finally have an active server again as www.mixnmojo.com (http://www.mixnmojo.com) is working again with a placeholder page [If the site doesn't load for you now, try it tomorrow. DNS is still rolling over]. We do not, however, have any of our files at the moment. The hard drive that Mojo and almost all of LFNetwork resided on (that includes WorldofMI, Scummbar, Samandmax.net and every Mojo hosted site) is in the mail to ZeroXcape to take a look at it.

"Why should he need to take a look at it," you ask? Well, it all started last week, on a day not unlike today, on a server not unlike this one...

One of our hosted sites was running the "YABBse" forum script for their site's web board (Why they weren't using LucasForums is beyond me, of course :)). The problem with this, is that just a couple of weeks ago an exploit was found in YABBse, that when exploited would allow the user to gain root access to the server. Yes, so some Brazilian ankle-biter Googled around for sites running YABBse, found our server, and made himself a home.

Fortunately, as far as we know, he wasn't malicious. He wasnt interested in altering any of our sites, or deleting our files. He just wanted free space and thought that he could get it somehow just by getting himself root.

This was why the site was up and down for a couple days last week. We were shutting down web services, rebooting and shutting down the server to generally keep him off. That isn't why we're down right now though.

It was finally realized that we'd need to reinstall the operating system on our server with a couple of patches to beef up its security to keep him off for good. At this point things started to go wrong.

The logical way to reinstall an OS on a server, you'd think, would be to back up all of the files, format the drive, do a completely clean install, and then copy the files back over from the backup drive. That sounds logical, right? That way you have a fresh server, and if things go wrong, you have a clean duplicate of the server from before the changes on the backup drive.

Well, the guy who runs our server at the colocation facility had other plans apparently. I don't know exactly what he did, but when he was done with the fixes, the server came back online without significant security fixes, and without a backup drive made. He also told us that in addition to there being no backup, there might be some data loss on the drive, but we're not sure yet. How did this happen? We don't know. Regardless, the hacker got back in within 40 minutes, and we shut the server down again.

At this point we've generally decided that it's time to move to a new location entirely. A totally new server at a totally new facility with a totally new admin. That is why the server has been down for days and days, and why the hard drive is on a plane or in a truck somewhere heading back to ZeroXcape.

We'll keep you updated on what happens with the files and the new server in this thread, and at www.mixnmojo.com (http://www.mixnmojo.com) itself.

Sorry for the massive delay.

Royal Fool
06-08-2003, 06:35 PM
Well, the guy who runs our server at the colocation facility had other plans apparently. I don't know exactly what he did, but when he was done with the fixes, the server came back online without significant security fixes, and without a backup drive made. He also told us that in addition to there being no backup, there might be some data loss on the drive, but we're not sure yet.

I would have freaked out. :firemad:

Good to see you're still alive, though. Good luck with the transfer.

Haggis
06-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Pray for Mojo.

I do so hope we won't lose you guys. Good luck.

(Sorry, I never know what to say in these situations...)

BooJaka
06-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Ahh well. Take as long as you need, just get her back in one piece.

ThunderPeel2001
06-08-2003, 08:32 PM
I hope there was some compensation involved? I hate the way server companies seem to shun ANY responsibilty for their actions... it must be the only service in the world where people go 'you destroyed all my irreplacable data? oh, well, thanks anyway'. If a hacker did it, it would be a different story, but because we PAY these people they're not accountable... argh!?!

And one more thing: Who was the guilty YaBB user? :)

~ John

[Bg edit, posts merged and it doesnt really matter who it was¬]

Moosferatu
06-08-2003, 08:53 PM
I think it might have been The Church of Tim, but I am not positive.;)

tabacco
06-08-2003, 10:37 PM
Are you guys still looking for a new colo facility, or do you have one chosen already? If not, I know some people who might be able to recommend a good place.

jp-30
06-09-2003, 01:34 AM
plasmaskins.jediknightii.net I think was running YABB. Anyway, it's not like the webmaster wanted anything like this to happen. :(

So, in the meantime, why not take a walk down memory lane and read these awesome mixnmojo archives, grabbed periodically over the last few years;

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.mixnmojo.com

Good times, good times... :c3po:

PreacherBoy
06-09-2003, 03:18 AM
This is an extremely sad turn of events and I look forward to the day that Mojo and all of LFNetwork returns.

Jake
06-09-2003, 03:29 AM
It was MILegend's copy of YABB that was hacked, but it's in no way their fault. There were other YABBse's running on LFN to my knowledge, and the guy picked us at random.

TP, I entirely agree that we should be compensated in some way. I'm not sure but I think this is being looked into. Though the initial trouble was caused by the hacker, blame for the numerous screwups after that definitely lie in the hands of our colocation administrator (who incidentally kept saying "that dang hacker"to everything :)).

And yes, agreed that it doesn't matter if we're offline until the end of time, as long as we can come back online in one piece.

Moosferatu
06-09-2003, 05:19 AM
I don't see what the hacker has to do with any of this. The entire thing did start with the hacker but he didn't mess anything up. It was the guys at the colocation who messed the site up.

Oystein
06-09-2003, 08:57 AM
Thanks for making things clearer, Jake. I'm just happy that we still have the forums.

pleto4_ryan
06-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Good to see that all is gonna be fine ;)

Andi Wan
06-09-2003, 03:50 PM
You know good can come from all of this. I registered a year ago, and haven't been back here till now. Downtime might draw people into the forums.

Thank god for the forums. That total blackout that Mojo had a year or so ago was horrible.

I hope Mojo gets up again soon. I'm hanging out for that interview with Dan Petit!!!!!!!!!

Good luck Xero.

Jake
06-09-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by pleto4_ryan
Good to see that all is gonna be fine ;)

We'll see about that.

PreacherBoy
06-09-2003, 07:38 PM
Yeah. I think one thing most of you are missing and one thing the people in charge of LFNetwork aren't saying is that:

1) They had to ship a drive out to someone to see if he can recover data since there was no backup made.
2) Recovering data off of a hard drive is black magic.
3) All of their content might be gone or would have to be rebuilt from the various local backups the content authors have.

:(

Joshi
06-09-2003, 08:27 PM
This is just idiocy at it's best. you know, a big time compnay like microsoft could have it's entire server go down and all it's backups and stuff gone and it still wouldn't matter as much as this does.

Well, okay, it probably would.

But seriously, Jake, if ZeroXcape can't do anything, what will happen?

DJG
06-09-2003, 08:35 PM
We have older backups, and a lot of the recent stuff is probably on random Mojo staff computers. We'll get back up regardless.

Joshi
06-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Well, that's a relief, I just got a little scared when Jake said "We'll see about that."

Jake
06-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the worst case scenario was that nothing would ever come back online, if we can't recover all the data it will just take a long time to have everything be identical to how it was before the crash, or "back to normal."

twifkak
06-09-2003, 10:53 PM
Did you ever finish "getting back to normal" in the first place? :P

Kingzjester
06-10-2003, 12:13 AM
It wasn't the Church of Tim Moos, that's just wistful thinking on your part... There was a brief window in which I managed to log on to the FTP while the site was for the bigger part still down and I deleted the messageboard thoroughly. There still might be some junk in the mySQL left over. I am not proficient with mySQL nor am I quite sure where those tables are stored exactly...

Jake
06-10-2003, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by twifkak
Did you ever finish "getting back to normal" in the first place? :P

Silence!

Kingzjester
06-10-2003, 01:22 AM
You gotta pity the fool.

Moosferatu
06-10-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by Kingzjester
It wasn't the Church of Tim Moos, that's just wistful thinking on your part... There was a brief window in which I managed to log on to the FTP while the site was for the bigger part still down and I deleted the messageboard thoroughly. There still might be some junk in the mySQL left over. I am not proficient with mySQL nor am I quite sure where those tables are stored exactly...

What was it that it used then? It wasn't like the rest of the message boards.

Kingzjester
06-10-2003, 03:44 AM
That particular brand of message boards has a security flaw. Everybody can mess with those, since the code is open - it is only a matter of time before somebody uses it for naughty things.

Mellonhead
06-10-2003, 07:27 AM
Does anyone have any idea how long the WMI site will be down. For I need the e-mail I have there (if it still exists).

jannar85
06-10-2003, 08:34 AM
Jake? The files still *exist* yes?

** edit **
Hmm... That's weird... LucasForums still shows my avatar!!!
My day is saved! *backups his avatar*

publicmonkey
06-10-2003, 09:43 AM
there were some posts at the Public Monkey Island Forum that were enquiring what had happened to so many of the Monkey island websites, personally i thought that they had been closed by lucas arts.

publicmonkey

ps. If you’re a Monkey Island Fan please join the Public Monkey Island Forum, we have only been running a couple of days and need people to help lift it off the ground, so join us and start posting straight away about anything to do with those classic games.

http://pub162.ezboard.com/bpublicmonkeyislandforum

Dalixam
06-10-2003, 09:56 AM
Originally posted by Mellonhead
Does anyone have any idea how long the WMI site will be down. For I need the e-mail I have there (if it still exists).

Your email still exists. The WMI emails are not handled by the LFNetwork nor stored on their servers. WMI will be back up when the rest of the LF/Mojo network is and they are doing everything to make that happen as soon as possible. In the meantime don't worry, your email is safe :)

Mellonhead
06-10-2003, 11:57 AM
Sorry, I forgot the e-mail is hosted somewhere else. I'm relieved by the fact that it's safe.

Haggis
06-10-2003, 12:26 PM
It's also worth noticing that you can still access your WMI e-mail account at http://worldofmi.mail.everyone.net

Sarah
06-10-2003, 08:24 PM
Who knows, this could be the dawn of a new day for Mojo and its constituents.

It's like spring cleaning, except completely unwanted and unintentional. If nothing is recovered, well, those who don't have local backups will get to spruce up their places with redesigns, or throw in the towel. Either way, theoretically things'll be less cluttered :)

*trying to drag everyone tooth and nail over to the sunny side of the street*

Jake
06-10-2003, 08:28 PM
Yeah the upside of complete deletion is that we'd get rid of some of the deader dead weight hosted sites. I'll be sad to see Loom Island go if it goes, though.

Oystein
06-11-2003, 12:22 PM
Don't forget the Michael Land homepage. Mojo just isn't Mojo without that site.

Marek
06-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Why not use archive.org to get your old articles? Sure, you may have to change some crap in the source like the URLs, but that could be done with a search & replace.

Speaking of the Michael Land Homepage, I think that site and LucasFans should be incorporated into Mojo as new features. Mojo's news rocks but it needs more content. :tessek:

P.S. I don't even know what that thing is.

Ray Jones
06-11-2003, 12:49 PM
all those creepy HACKERcrackhaedz aout dere .. nibblin through the web.. suckin everything down they get into their stinky fingaz..
.. HAVE NO F-IN BIT OF RESPECT TO THE WORK OF OTHERS ..

so listen: if I would ever get ROOTRights on your f-in harddisk.. YOU POOPOOHEADZ wouldnt have 1 single bit left for even storing NO (i meant ZERO) data!

you should hunt down some terrorists or people like that.. use your skillzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz to proof there is no allah, jesus, humpetybumpetysuckingGODcreatureswithnoBRAINinit.. you could have thrown a ball, read a book, played monkey instead.

BUT NO. (i must repeat) BUUUUUTTT NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
.. you must lay down MOJO. ..

HOW ABOUT THAT: start your browser an go www.dierightnow.net/hard/painful/veeeeryyssslowwwww/getEATENbyMURRAYwhileyourBALLSareCROSSWISEbeingKEE LHAULED.htm

:fire3:

bgbennyboy
06-11-2003, 12:59 PM
Erm...quite.

Please try and make your future posts a little, no a LOT less spam-tastic.

Ray Jones
06-11-2003, 01:04 PM
.. errrm .. what do you mean..

bgbennyboy
06-11-2003, 01:09 PM
I mean make your posts, legible, reasonably relevant and coherent or dont bother posting at all

Ray Jones
06-11-2003, 01:37 PM
..oh .. OK. you may remove it if you want so. I dont wanted to bother anyone (from the good ones).. actually i didnt thought it was "tough" enough..

I just wanted to say taking mojo is like take a babys lollipop. Easy but so BAD. And definitly NOT cool. Dont they have something (really) creative to do? I am angry about such people. .. ..

anyway.. the force and stuff.. you know ... soon it will be allright again.. P-)

Kingzjester
06-11-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by RayJones
all those creepy HACKERcrackhaedz aout dere ..... LHAULED.htm

:fire3: That's blasphemy! Of course there IS a God!

His name is Tim.

safiiru
06-11-2003, 04:24 PM
Apologies if everyone's already aware of this, but while it is possible to log in to World of Monkey Island mail through the everyone.net link mentioned earlier, it still (as of an hour ago, at least) isn't possible to send mail to worldofmi.com accounts.

I'm guessing that this could be fixed by updating worldofmi.com's MX records (http://www.everyone.net/troubleshooting.html)... does anyone want to take care of this? Or are their bigger issues to resolve first?

Samandmax221
06-11-2003, 07:01 PM
why must we surrender to some south of the border sob

Dalixam
06-11-2003, 07:08 PM
safiiru, I am aware of the problem and has contacted the Mojo staff about it.

QueZTone
06-12-2003, 12:02 AM
lol Mojo :) you'll get back on track :)

PFM :~

Ray Jones
06-12-2003, 06:10 AM
:eek:

.. well let's say TIMMY (AND HIS FRIENDS) are a little nerdy bunch of .. genius people with BIG BRAINS.. maybe they have HUGE HEADS and they never get up from their computers so they dont have legs n stuff anymore. ..
:p :D
hey, i think tims workin hard (beside all the fun he has with it you know, chicks, pizzas, more chicks..) for what were enjoying, it didnt came just by mighty godpowers..

Metallus
06-12-2003, 08:41 PM
No.

Squinky
06-12-2003, 09:28 PM
MY LIFE IS A LIE

Riffage
06-13-2003, 01:32 AM
Well... time to break out the picture.. AGAIN :(

http://images.deviantart.com/large/designs/dmisc/Downtime_Strikes_Back_for_Mojo.jpg

Ray Jones
06-13-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by Metallus
No.

mmmmm.. .... .. .. .... .. .. . . .. . . . ..
No.. .. . ..... ... .. . ... . ... . :confused:
errm..

what no?

Thrik
06-13-2003, 08:43 AM
Do you suffer from hyperactivity or something? Calm down, lad.

jannar85
06-13-2003, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Thrik
Do you suffer from hyperactivity or something? Calm down, lad.
Lol! I'm betting 10 dollars!

Joshi
06-13-2003, 09:40 AM
Wow, people are gettiong really annoyed and weird about this. What would you guys do if LF was down for this long? And what's with the crappy background music?

twifkak
06-13-2003, 10:53 AM
No Rain (as the filename suggests) either by the Lemonheads or Blind Melon; I never could keep them straight. Then again, I'm not even a girl! *tut tut*

*boink*

*jomb*

Joshi
06-13-2003, 10:59 AM
I wasn't asking what it was, I was asking whats with them. Since when did mojo sink so low as to have background music?

Kingzjester
06-13-2003, 12:03 PM
Music is the manifestation of webmasters' collective nervous breakdown.

Erwin_Br
06-13-2003, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Riffage
Well... time to break out the picture.. AGAIN :(

http://images.deviantart.com/large/designs/dmisc/Downtime_Strikes_Back_for_Mojo.jpg

I think 'Return of the Downtime' would be more appropriate ;)

--Erwin

Gabez
06-14-2003, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi
And what's with the crappy background music? Background music? Where?

Joshi
06-14-2003, 11:17 AM
The Mixnmojo main page, you may have to switch it on in 'Tools', 'Internet Options' and 'Advanced'.

Gabez
06-14-2003, 01:46 PM
Oh right, yeah, I had to do Ctrl F5. I like the music though. It's damn catchy.

Joshi
06-14-2003, 01:50 PM
Yeah, s'ok.

So, i was just looking around and found that milegend was back up (in a slightly bad state losing it's forums and 5 months of crap). So i'm guessing it's run away from mojo then and found it's own server?

Andi Wan
06-14-2003, 02:23 PM
HAH HAH!
http://www.milegend.com/animations/images/bobdancing.gif
IT'S ALIIIIIIIVVVVVVEEEEE!!!!!! (www.milegend.com)

monti
06-16-2003, 12:03 AM
Hi!

I just found this network and mixnmojo just yesterday. I'm sad to see these problems. I'd like to contact someone at mixnmojo, but the only email address found on that page, was jake@mixnmojo.com, but it's not working. Can someone advise me a working email?

Maybe a solution, not to let this happen in the future again: a few mirror servers could be set up. When the main site goes down, just redirect to the fastest, and when it's back just copy the mirror back.

Peace.

Kingzjester
06-16-2003, 12:33 AM
Why didn't we think of that before?! Why YES! What a marvelous idea! That is the panacea this world needed! Next stop: world hunger and homelessness!!

bgbennyboy
06-16-2003, 10:04 AM
Now thats just harsh.

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 12:20 PM
So sayeth Mini-Mojo
So, what's going to happen this time? Well, who knows. We do know, though, that our former server completely died, and took all of our files and all of the backups of our files with it. Is that bad? Yeah, it's bad.
Hmm. Back ups too? Ah shoot.

Is it the whole site (Mojo8) thats lost, or just the content?

Dear god.

Quitters: The Scumm Bar
That's funny. Sad, but funny.

On the upside, maybe you can drag out one of the old Mojo layouts. We can have some retro fun! (Groans)

EDIT:
http://linuxsupportdesk.net/pichost/uploads/mojos.jpg
RETRO FANTASTIC!

GregD
06-16-2003, 12:26 PM
ISP Backups or not.... the admins at mojo (not the webserver admins) SHOULD have kept local backups on a monthly basis. NEVER trust an ISP to do that because they end up either losing it all or restoring from like 6 months ago... useless.

If you want something doing properlly do it yourself, and if the admins have been too lazy then they've dug their own hole..

:rolleyes: :mad:

Kingzjester
06-16-2003, 12:27 PM
Mojo 3 born again?

You know, I dreamed that mojo was back last night. I need a beer.

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by GregD
... if the admins have been too lazy then they've dug their own hole...
Talk about kicking someone while their down.

Gabez
06-16-2003, 12:39 PM
I had a dream about Mojo coming back too... I need to get a life. ;)

Someone should do a Mojo downtime song by the way. Just replace "rain" with "Mojo" in the no rain song (the proper one, mind, not the midi) and you've got an instant classic.

GregD
06-16-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Andi Wan
Talk about kicking someone while their down.

It's a fact, get over it. Mojo has been down 3 times in the past, so theres no real excuse for not having a recent backup on one of the admins HD's.

Thrik
06-16-2003, 01:05 PM
It's extremely worrying to me how many people neglect backing up. I know people who own cd-writers but never back up their data - a 10 minute task at most. One of these people recently lost his HD and the data that was on it - "whoops".

Even if the Mojo server company did promise backups, not exporting the data every few weeks at least is very foolish. Is there really any reason to not do it? At most it takes a few minutes, and it saves situations like this from occuring.

I just hope that they did back it up, somewhere..

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 01:07 PM
It's a fact, get over it. Mojo has been down 3 times in the past, so theres no real excuse for not having a recent backup on one of the admins HD's.

Its called being human.

They provide their time for free to make an excelent site that we all love. Yes, they may have made a mistake, but Jake and the others don't owe us anything. We on the other hand owe them everything.

Show some respect.

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Gabez
Someone should do a Mojo downtime song by the way. Just replace "rain" with "Mojo" in the no rain song (the proper one, mind, not the midi) and you've got an instant classic.
I suggest Travis' melancholy hit, "Why does it always rain on me?".
Why does it always rain on me?
Is is because I didn't back up my php?
Why does it always rain on me?
Even when the sun is shining,
I can't avoid the downtime
EDIT:
I apologise. That is so crap.

bgbennyboy
06-16-2003, 01:32 PM
Agreed, theres plenty 'excuse', the staff have real lives to be getting on with, even assuming that they have the time, inclination and hd space for regular backups, thats what the backup hd was for.

Its easy to criticise after the event but it doesnt help matters in the slightest.

Ray Jones
06-16-2003, 01:34 PM

hmmm. hmm.. hmmm.

for me..
being suffered by the fading mental horizon of an kneeling ant (which actually is much better than that er.. hyperactivity-thingsy?? Howd you come on this? did i wrote to fast? dunno that much words, eh?... if i calm down som more ill come out the HYPERACT side.. so keep ur lovely tovely for persons who needit, sugarplease.)
..this argument sounds .. argumentive (as sad as the circumstances are).. .. but it dont changes alot, right?

GregD
06-16-2003, 01:49 PM
These people probably spend more time reading and replying in the forums than it would take to do...

Heres all you do:
1. Open ftp client
2. Select all files
3. Click transfer
4. Leave it running in background overnight or whatever

How hard is that to do on a monthly or bi monthly basis?

Being Human? It's called being lazy. Sure they run the site in their free time we love them for it. But a site this big and popular should not be neglected. A backup is not exactly the most demanding thing in the world.

Ray Jones
06-16-2003, 01:58 PM
.. Hey it seem's to work.. back online in a rush...

oh.. no.. DOWN again.

..IT didnt worked from out the future (GOT IT?????). do i have to use a patch??

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 02:00 PM
Refer to bgbenny's comment, and mine.

If you think they are doing a less that than admirable job, start your own site. See how it goes. You could call it "Mojo+ - Now with added GregD!".

The situation is very bad, and could have been avoided, but it wasn't. No one can change that now. There is no percentage in playing the blame game.

Stop whining.

Kingzjester
06-16-2003, 02:04 PM
Well, look at it this way: now that mojo is down, Jake will finally finish the new design - which, if I may say so myself, has a potential to look far superior to the previous - that is, if he lets me design the icons.

Anyhow, I doubt that all those interviews and stuff are lost.

Another good thing that came out of the downtime is me setting up a little localhost thing and being able to work on the site more leisurely. If it is any comfort, only two frescos from the Church are lost - and not indefinitely, because Moosferatu has them backed-up...

GregD
06-16-2003, 02:06 PM
Shut face Andi... :mad: "stop whining" you say.

I'm hardly whining, I am saying a backup should have been made... this is a fair and valid point...

Id be whining if I said: it was mojo's fault that the whole site was destroyed and that they should put it back up straight away or I will complain. Now that is whining.

The situation wouldn't have been as bad if common sense might have come into play at some point.

JBRAA
06-16-2003, 02:10 PM
From mixnmojo.com :
"Despite all of this, our primary concern is to stay up and running as a hub for you guys, the bitter masses that are the LucasArts fan community."

Erm, ok. We're the bitter ones. Anyway, I dont have anything against giving mixnmojo 5 dollars through Paypal. Im guessing many others would like to contribute with some chash to keep the site running, or whatever. Or as just gifts. You should setup at "give us money" button and see what happends.
Also, maybe that notorious non-existing mixnmojo store could be set-up and I could buy a mixnmojot-shirt to show off. Perhaps I'm rambling on you, but it sounds like a good idea to hire some enthusiastic new people to mixnmojo. Some new faces bringing news, features etc. I donnu if it would work any good, but I think it would make mixnmojo more interesting.

Ray Jones
06-16-2003, 02:11 PM
eyh, u dont get it if u get right, right?

perhabs someone will send you a backupcopy of MoJo Rel. XXX every night!!!

why do you complain so much??? was it all your work and stuff at the page??

GregD
06-16-2003, 02:16 PM
Ray, while I respect you are from another country... I cannot understand a word you are saying. This is why I choose not to reply to you ¬¬

JBRAA I don't think they lack money... they lack backups ;/

If someone would like to donate backups send them on a stamped self addressed envelope to:

Mixnmojo Backups PLZTHX k
Y'ARRR St.
Monkey Island
NW1 4BJ

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 02:17 PM
Id be whining if I said: it was mojo's fault that the whole site was destroyed and that they should put it back up straight away or I will complain. Now that is whining.
That is in effect what you are saying.

on another note, I was just thinking the same thing JBRAA!

GregD
06-16-2003, 02:21 PM
And ray if you think you are the original to do hellsibad i si loves you etc... then you are not it is I:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80701

near the end of the first page THXPLZ!!111

Ray Jones
06-16-2003, 02:21 PM
YES i am not from england. but from earth too.. so let try again..

.. i ask you Greg, how do we get a backup now, that it all has happened?

what MoJo needs now is the get the SITESTUFF back to get UP ONLINE again and THEN MoJo-People can learn (i awfully hope) and DO THE BACKUP TWICE A DAY...

GregD
06-16-2003, 02:23 PM
That is in effect what you are saying.

on another note, I was just thinking the same thing JBRAA!

Show me somewhere i have said that... it is not what I am saying im making a point and I think you need to take your head out of your proverbial PLZ K THX LOL LMAO ROFL ;~

Ray Jones
06-16-2003, 02:25 PM
And ray if you think you are the original to do hellsibad i si loves you etc... then you are not it is I:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=80701

near the end of the first page THXPLZ!!111

???

it wont budge.

GregD
06-16-2003, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by RayJones
YES i am not from england. but from earth too.. so let try again..

.. i ask you Greg, how do we get a backup now, that it all has happened?

what MoJo needs now is the get the SITESTUFF back to get UP ONLINE again and THEN MoJo-People can learn (i awfully hope) and DO THE BACKUP TWICE A DAY...

OMGLOLWTFNM U USE TEH TIMEMACHINE!!111

I USE ONE EVERYDAY IN EVERYWAY H0Rh0R

MOJO SPENT ALL THEIR MONEYS ON A TIME MACHINEE U SEE>
THEY SPENT SO LONG MAKING IT THEY FORGOT TO TAKE BACKUPS ;~~

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 02:28 PM
You sure are a ball of spite today, aren't you Greg.

GregD
06-16-2003, 02:32 PM
You sure are a ball of spite today, aren't you Greg.

A cube of spite ill have you know!!!! A CUBE! *sobs* :rolleyes:

Ray Jones
06-16-2003, 02:41 PM

perhabs we could like .. bring up some warfarestylee-sfx while reading these .. collection-o-nice things to say.. -boum- -crash- -newt- -shlap- -smack- -fffidsh-

ok greg 'hairy spit and earwax stuff' D. no backup. not data. no nuttin' at this point.. howd you go on.. say i didnt did a backup forever?

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 02:43 PM
Pardon me, cube.

Anyway, I agree with you Greg, it could have been avoided, and probably should have, given the Mojo's notorious history.

But what I don't think you accept is that the guys who run it are not professional webmasters. They do this in their free time.

And regardless of how big the mojo community that depends on their work is, they are just guys like you and me. Fallible humans, not super-human gods. They make mistakes, sometimes big ones.

Anyway, this is getting silly. We haven't even got any word that Mojo 8 is indeed kaput.

Peace.

EDIT:
Also, a kind word of advice for Ray:
Use less capitals. Connected sentences are good.

Follow this advice, and all will be well.

I think it is great that you are trying to be part of a community that is not in your native language. Keep posting!

GregD
06-16-2003, 02:51 PM
Pardon me, cube.

Anyway, I agree with you Greg, it could have been avoided, and probably should have, given the Mojo's notorious history.

But what I don't think you accept is that the guys who run it are not professional webmasters. They do this in their free time.

And regardless of how big the mojo community that depends on their work is, they are just guys like you and me. Fallible humans, not super-human gods. They make mistakes, sometimes big ones.

Anyway, this is getting silly. We haven't even got any word that Mojo 8 is indeed kaput.

Peace.

I know most of the guys who work on mojo so I understand they do it in their free time and do their best etc and I wouldn't want anything more.

I guess theres no point arguing about it now anyway what's done is done I suppose. But next time make some backups if you can guys, it will save you the trouble if (when? been 4 times already how jinxed can mojo be :confused: ) it happens again.

monti
06-16-2003, 03:06 PM
Hello!

I don't want to waste your time, I wrote yesterday, that the site should have been mirrored. OK. What is happened is the past.
If mojo starts again, then everybody should think about doing something for the backup thing.
For example I wanted to contact mojo to let him know, that I probably will host a server this summer and would let it mirror the mojo site. Of course this won't help getting back lost data, but maybe more than nothing.

But it is true that 2 ways are possible now: revive mojo or not. If mojo is set up again I think this lesson was enough for everybody, so the site will backuped frequently even without my help.

I still don't know email address to mojo.

Bye.

Oystein
06-16-2003, 03:31 PM
Are you the same GregD who hangs out or used to hang out at #monkey-island? You were a bit different back then when I used to hang out there. Not so bitter anyway. But, hey, I understand what you're saying and I agree with you. But we must look forward. Mojo will be back! Trite, but true!

Joshi
06-16-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Jake
At this point we've generally decided that it's time to move to a new location entirely. A totally new server at a totally new facility with a totally new admin. That is why the server has been down for days and days, and why the hard drive is on a plane or in a truck somewhere heading back to ZeroXcape.

We'll keep you updated on what happens with the files and the new server in this thread, and at www.mixnmojo.com (http://www.mixnmojo.com) itself.

Sorry for the massive delay.

Now, obviously, this is a long and arduouse project and probably takes a lot of time, although I myself don't know enough about web sites and servers in order to estimate a time. But basically, what's going on now? A HD has been sent to Zero, obviously so he can look over it and see if he can find and fix any probelms and then I'm guessing he'll upload it again. Don't worry, I'm not whining and I can't really expect Mojo to be nearly finished or anything, I'm just wandering what's going on now?

twifkak
06-16-2003, 04:12 PM
1)I would donate 20 or 30 bucks to help Mojo in the backup retrieval/re-colocation process (yes, money helps, dumbo).

2)Nick Drake - Way to Blue (http://www.algonet.se/~iguana/DRAKE/NDfive.html#WAY). Change blue to purple, and you're all set. (Yes, I know, "blasphemy," cry the Nick Drake fans (including myself), except with at least one capital letter and at least one exclamation point.) Or, if you want a more popular song, Theme from Gilligan's Island -- requires more changes, however.

GregD
06-16-2003, 04:17 PM
Yes the same GregD, Oystein. I just had to express my utter frustration at someone not having kept a recent backup. But anyway what's done is done. I just pray for next mojo now :)

Haggis
06-16-2003, 04:19 PM
About this Mojo store... why exactly was it never officially opened? I mean, I already bought a tshirt there... :confused:

Alien426
06-16-2003, 05:21 PM
OK, this goes to all the guys who think backups are such an easy thing, like GregD ("Leave it running in background overnight or whatever"). You could just believe me when I say "No, they are not" or read on:

How about the databases? I will readily admit that I don't know how many of the hosted sites use MySQL, but for the sake of easy news and interactive stuff like polls and comments you need those. But reading a lot of stuff from any database and writing it into a file will slow the server down.

I'm not an expert, but I would guess that the databases would be a major problem for any mirror sites. I'm not even sure if a RAID 1 system can multiply the data from databases. Also: even if you'd churn out the bucks for a mirror server you would still cause a lot of traffic to keep both sites up to date...

"Open ftp client. Select all files..."
Yeah and while you're at it get some more advertisers who can pay for the traffic that is created by the guy who backs up the wallpapers, MP3s, tools, etc. etc.

People, I tell you such stuff has to be done on location. You'd need a server admin who knows his shtick and makes backups.

Joshi
06-16-2003, 05:27 PM
Okay, so worldofmi managed to backup their site (apart from the forums) the day before. Some fan art was lost (images) but everything else was kept including news posts. Please explain (I'm not arguing with you, I'm just asking)

Kingzjester
06-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Stop your ******* wining! What's been ****** up's been ****** up. It is behind us. Stop living in the ******* past! Nothing can be gained from burning witches.

Oh, and I just like to talk in asterisks like that.

Joshi
06-16-2003, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi
Please explain (I'm not arguing with you, I'm just asking)

Did this not get through, jeese, I was just asking for heavens sake.

GregD
06-16-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Kingzjester
Stop your ******* wining! What's been ****** up's been ****** up. It is behind us. Stop living in the ******* past! Nothing can be gained from burning witches.

Oh, and I just like to talk in asterisks like that.

Just because you have 2000 posts doesn't mean you are the king and no one is gonna listen to you so HA!!

And concerning your language young man why dont you stfu! ;)

Thrik
06-16-2003, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Alien426
OK, this goes to all the guys who think backups are such an easy thing, like GregD ("Leave it running in background overnight or whatever"). You could just believe me when I say "No, they are not" or read on:

How about the databases? I will readily admit that I don't know how many of the hosted sites use MySQL, but for the sake of easy news and interactive stuff like polls and comments you need those. But reading a lot of stuff from any database and writing it into a file will slow the server down.

I'm not an expert, but I would guess that the databases would be a major problem for any mirror sites. I'm not even sure if a RAID 1 system can multiply the data from databases. Also: even if you'd churn out the bucks for a mirror server you would still cause a lot of traffic to keep both sites up to date...

"Open ftp client. Select all files..."
Yeah and while you're at it get some more advertisers who can pay for the traffic that is created by the guy who backs up the wallpapers, MP3s, tools, etc. etc.

People, I tell you such stuff has to be done on location. You'd need a server admin who knows his shtick and makes backups.

Doing the entire network is not necessary. The hosted sites have the means to backup their own data, so that's their job. Now, as for Mojo - exporting the database to a file is a few clicks or a few words (depending how you do it).

Exporting the files and such of the site - easy, too. As for the files and whatever.. they aren't as important as all the news and articles. They can be refound and reuploaded - the articles and news cannot. Not unless they kept local copies of their own articles, anyway.

So in conclusion, backing up is not as hard as you make out. I'm not slating Mojo for this, after all - if they pay for backups they damn well should get them. But I'm sure a lesson can be learnt from this:

Never trust someone else to look after your pride and joy. :D

monti
06-16-2003, 08:43 PM
Well, to mirror a database is called replication and this feature is built in most db-servers (as far as I know it is implemented in MySQL 4 as well). And this is not a high availability, robust project (compared to a telecom database for example), so it can be done easily without professional sw. For example with MySQL-front, which is a freeware stuff.

The main problem, that to mirror images and mp3's, etc... well you have to mirror only the differences, this means only mirror them once... no reason to "download" something twice. This way with a disaster you would only lose a few days' posts, not the whole site.

I hate to backup as well, I know what does it mean, since I am a system admin at two place. I only do it once a month.

The mirror sites will not cause traffic increasement, I think they would even decrease it if you would share the traffic tricky. To send ASCII data is not a big problem, as it can be packed into a very small file.

Only the forum that can't be used on a mirror site, everithing else is the same. And you'd get rid of backing up.

Andi Wan
06-17-2003, 12:10 AM
I think Neil is trying to ask what I was trying to ask about a million posts ago.

Is MOJO 8 junked? Was anything saved?

Do we have any idea about when Mojo will be back up?

Only Jake or some other similarly important mojo admin can answer this.

Metallus
06-17-2003, 04:57 AM
I'm glad that the more estute among you have done the necessary detective work, and discovered that we were the ones, in fact, to blame for our server admin destroying our files and backups. Which was after the hacker could have, but didn't. Yes, we had backups, guys, just not completely current ones for every single hosted site. Anyway, those are gone anyway, and save a readily-available time machine and some gullible network slave named Metallus with a bad upspeed, there won't be any local backing up of the nearly 200 sites on Server 1 (I.E. it wasn't just Mixnmojo sites, but pretty much every other LFN site apart from the 3 that have their own servers).

[Jake butts in with a quick word: One thing worth noting is that Mojo shouldn't and won't be held responsible if your site got deleted and you don't have a local personal backup. Pointing fingers at us for losing chunks of our own site is (mostly) acceptable, but other than that it's your own responsibility and saying otherwise is pretty out of line. Hopefully nobodys out there annoyed at us for not having a copy of your site, or your favorite site that we didn't run :). We kept server-side backups of everyones sites, but those were lost totally out of our control.]

If there are some more genuine suggestions about how to better manage backups by people with experience, please put them in the feedback forum or contact us on IRC/PM/instant message. We appreciate the comments by people who are trying to help, definitely. However, this thread has completely derailed into pointless bickering by the yet-to-be-informed, meaning all of us.

Thanks to the people who made supportive comments. I don't think anyone is really sure what Mojo 8's fate is at this moment, but I believe that we'll try to get that going again, rather than trying to rush the next version of Mixnmojo. For the rest of you guys, before you say something not-so-goddamn-encouraging-nor-helpful to the people who have been running the sites you've visited for years, and who happen to be pretty stressed about the current staus, please reconsider. So, thread closed, because I'm not good with guilt :~