PDA

View Full Version : Are you a scary LucasArts collector?

Jake
06-10-2003, 03:21 PM
I don't try to, but co-running Mojo means that I inevitably end up having a bunch of cool LucasArts crap in my posession that very few people can get their hands on. And, based on that Full Throttle Mini-Soundtrack thread, it sounds like a lot of people are in the same boat. So, just for the hell of it, why not list your top 3 to 5 items, and the number 1 thing you're missing that you'd like to get one of. No more than that though, to prevent this from turning into one of those annoying "list everything in your house" threads.

Here's my top 3:

Some of this stuff is quite one of a kind and will probably end up being given away in a Mojo contest at some point, assuming we ever have one.

1) Original black and white ink rendering of the Sam & Max Hit the Road badge logo that appeared on the side of the box (the one with the police badge in the background, and Sam & Max's heads in the upper left and bottom right). It's about 3 feet by 3 feet and you can see the pencil sketch lines under the more final ink.

2) Grim Fandango collectors edition box (the thick paperboard one that you got when you pre-ordered Grim from the company store, with all the signatures foil-embossed in, like the EMI box) hand-signed by Tim Schafer (he scribbled out his foil signature and wrote a new one directly underneath with the phrase 'Hey! This is where I sign')

3) Day of the Tentacle baseball cap :) It's blue.

And the thing I'm missing and want the most is: a triangular DOTT box. Those are so cool. I've seen a few of them before but they were definitely not for sale. :(

So, how about everyone else? Your favorite things in your collection, or the most obscure and stupid. Make the other obsessive dorks drool at you.

Andi Wan
06-10-2003, 03:47 PM
Alas I have nothing of interest save my old game boxes. My Monkey Island 2 and Full Throttle boxes hold a very special place in my heart though. My Dark Forces box is also nice.

I got Monkey Island 1, Loom and Indy and the Last Crusade (oh, and Pipe Dream) in a Mac CD game pack as well, so I have the original piracy protection gear and manuals for those games too. They are also looked after well.

This is the closest I get to ancient memorabilia.

Oh, I have a Jedi Outscast T-shirt as well. Yay for me. Or something.

:guybrush:

MrManager
06-10-2003, 04:10 PM
Hmmm... The only things I have is an EMI sweater, EMI postcards, LucasArts soundtrack and The Dig book. Man I suck.

Marek
06-10-2003, 04:15 PM
I've got a Psychonauts poster signed by Tim Schafer. I bet you don't have one of those!

tabacco
06-10-2003, 04:21 PM
I've got a 2'x3' LucasArts sign that I still haven't mailed back to Spaff :)

Sarah
06-10-2003, 07:49 PM
1. Some cute boy gave me an autographed/drawn-in copy of Surfin' the Highway for my 19th birthday. That's definitely my favorite item.

2. I've also got so much autographed LEC stuff I don't know what to do with it all, but I guess my favorite autographed game is the DOTT that Tim signed and put "vs." over the "and" in "Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman." It's the best, if for no other reason than the fact that he signed it in my presence.

3. I like my EMI pirate hat/grog/inflatable monkey, too. It's as if I just ripped off their entire display.

4. (yeah I know it's supposed to be the top 3) I forgot, I have Dom's first E3 pass that he used the title Guybrush on. That's kinda cool too.

elTee
06-10-2003, 07:54 PM
Ok...

1. This is probably the Secret of Monkey Island fully boxed in shrinkwrap for the Sega Mega CD system. I've only ever seen it boxed once, and thats the copy I own.

2. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis movie sized poster of the box art.

3. Full Throttle Mini Soundtrack.

I guess those are the hardest to come by of all my items. I own all the classic adventures in their original boxes, which is good.

The things I desperately want, that I would kill for are:
The DOTT 3-sided box
The Grim Fandango Sountrack
Any LucasArts game for the FM Towns system - this includes Zak McKracken, Loom and Monkey Island 1.

Metallus
06-11-2003, 12:22 AM
I've got a LucasArts mousepad (woo?) from E3 this year, and also a very large and heavy Armed and Dangerous/KoToR/Rebel Strike poster. It's 1 of 3 different posters that were displayed at the lucasarts booth and stolen by given to Mixnmojo. This is probably my favorite piece of LEC schwag.

I have a very damaged, but still semi-playable copy of the Full Throttle mini-soundtrack, and I once owned a signed copy of Escape from Monkey Island that was once owned by Spaff, but I donated it to the Mixnmojo Ebay extravaganza about a year and a half ago.

Also, this isn't directly LucasArts-related, but last year I managed to get a couple very nice condition (this isn't an official condition level, but shh) Sam and Max comics from the 80's. Woot. Well, that's about it. Damn, I guess I have more of this stuff than I thought.

As for what I'm missing, I'd most like to get some sort of Sam and Max comic anthology a la Surfin' the Highway. I've tried several times to get StH online (ebay+multiple lying .com stores) with no success. :~ Hopefully Steve will make new comics and put together a new Sam and Max anthology at some point.

PreacherBoy
06-11-2003, 02:37 AM
Yes. Very much so. I have far too many CD-Rs of beta and gold builds of games from the minions of Tom Sarris. It's scary.

:o

Skinkie
06-11-2003, 02:43 AM
The only thing I have of interest is the Grim Fandango Soundtrack.

Alien426
06-11-2003, 04:23 AM
1. The soundtracks for The Dig and Grim Fandango
Got the The Dig soundtrack at CDnow! and the Grim Fandango CD at synSONIQ (http://www.synsoniq.de).

2. Sam & Max: Surfin' The Highway
I was smart lucky enough to buy this at Amazon like one month before it was sold out.

I don't have that much else, really. Certainly no autographed stuff or rare advertisements.

3. Loom CD and Indy 4 Talkie, like 4 different versions of the The Dig book...

I still need the prism DOTT box, the Full Throttle mini-soundtrack and the game with bandanna (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3029058824).

Oystein
06-11-2003, 11:16 AM
I've got Dan Pettit's brain on a jar.

BooJaka
06-11-2003, 11:50 AM
1) Triangular DOTT Box :p

2) Limited Edition Full Throttle Box

3) That Afterlife box that opens in the middle (gee, I like boxes)

I want: The holographic box for The Dig and/or the Grim Fandango soundtrack

telarium
06-11-2003, 12:19 PM
1. A Monkey Island 2 hint book signed by Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman.

2. A Monkey Island 1 code wheel signed by Tim. As an amusing side note, when I gave Tim the code wheel at E3 to sign, he bragged about he had to rivet some of the wheels together during the game's crunch mode. Shortly after he signed it at E3, it fell apart.

3. An autographed copy of Dave's book, just because I want to be like him when I grow up.

What I want is to finally get my autographed Psychonauts poster (ahem Jake)... and some kind of bootleg soundtrack of The Curse of Monkey Island taken directly from the original recordings, not the game's compressed audio.

elTee
06-11-2003, 05:41 PM
Quez don't you already have the bandana?? I know someone does, dammit!! I can't believe it, I searched for this item last week and it found nothing!! Dammit!!!

Those CD-R's of beta copies of the games sounds interesting, is there anything radically different about them when compared to the gold versions? (which I assume are the versions available in shops etc)

If any of you ever want to sell any of your cool rare stuff, please please please tell me!

Marek
06-11-2003, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by Oystein
I've got Dan Pettit's brain on a jar.
So is it authographed?

telarium
06-11-2003, 06:08 PM
By the way Marek, where's the money you owe me for the E3 rental car? $48, man! And Spaff owes me even more.

Oystein
06-11-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Marek
So is it authographed?

Actually it's autographed by his mother, the lovely Lady Pettit.

QueZTone
06-11-2003, 10:38 PM
Okies I've been trying to get enough stuff to start some sort of LEC Museum eventually :)

You can find my complete collection here (fairly up to date):
http://www.xs4all.nl/~loom/lecness

My top 3 of my most precious lec possesions:

3 Fate of Atlantis Moviesized poster

2 Full Throttle Banana (have yet to receive this)

1 Triangular box DOTT

other name worthy items are: nightshift sealed, dig soundtrack (x2) and gf soundtrack

the one item i really want now is:
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
[boxed, sealed, PC]

other name worthy items I still need boxed are: maniac mansion, loom, zak mckracken

ATMachine
06-12-2003, 12:13 AM
Mr. QueZTone! You have the Indy Fate of Atlantis Action Game!
I am in awe.

All I could find on eBay was its Spanish version . . .

Jake
06-12-2003, 05:13 AM
I got a copy of Monkey Island 2 boxed, sealed (macintosh, not pc) a few months ago and I opened it :) So screw you guys. Whats the point if you cant play with the mix-n-mojo codewheel and read the archaic Adventurer magazine inside?

I also have a copy of Night Shift, though its not in perfect condition and has been opened.

QueZTone
06-12-2003, 09:56 AM
insult forum fighting: so there's still at least one thing to envy you for ;)

elTee
06-12-2003, 06:20 PM
I have the FOA action game in a LARGE box, and the Last Crusade action game in a small box. Its very odd. There are big and small versions of each I think.

QueZTone
06-12-2003, 06:42 PM
the ones in my collection, both the action and adventures games of both LC and FoA are 'normal' format

a friend of mine has FoA in small box

so if you have LC in small box, then indeed, they're both in both small and large boxes :)

i prefer large :D

elTee
06-13-2003, 06:04 PM
So do I :(

Erwin_Br
06-13-2003, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Jake
I got a copy of Monkey Island 2 boxed, sealed (macintosh, not pc) a few months ago and I opened it :) So screw you guys. Whats the point if you cant play with the mix-n-mojo codewheel and read the archaic Adventurer magazine inside?

I also have a copy of Night Shift, though its not in perfect condition and has been opened.

Heh, I did that with my sealed Full Throttle and Indy FOA boxes. Somehow I just *need* to pull the plastic off. I'm discussing this obsession with my psychiatrist this week.

--Erwin

Lord_FinnSon
06-13-2003, 09:59 PM
My only thing that could be qualified as collector's item, is Grim Fandango box with autographs of Tim and pals that also included Full Throttle and little Manny figure. I actually sold that copy of FT as it was original Dos version and later bought Classic(Windows XP supported) edition of same game. I still have Manny standing on my shelf though. ;)

QueZTone
06-13-2003, 11:27 PM
the manny figure im still after too :p

elTee
06-14-2003, 01:27 PM
Yeah, but that's not going to be easy to come by. There will come a point when the only chance you'll get to get hold of some of this stuff is when people die, because people like you and me aren't gonna start selling our collections. God knows my friends and family would sell my LucasArts stuff at the drop of a hat if I got hit by a bus or something.

I want that DOTT box!! Click here to e-mail me if you have any information whatsoever. I can use paypal . (daniel_wishart_lec@hotmail.com)

QueZTone
06-14-2003, 03:50 PM
heh, you ARE scary lucastones :p

C Shutt
06-14-2003, 03:53 PM
I have the CD "talkie" version of Loom. That's something, right?

HenryJonesJr.
06-14-2003, 04:06 PM
ok, own 2 or 3 signed boxes, my 3 most priced LEC goods are:

1. The Mos Isley Cantina Limited Numbered Edition Frame with original Star Wars A New Hope movie print, pencil signed.

2. The Grim Fandango Game Sountrack [Out Of Print]

3. Original Boxed Monkey Island 2

I would love to get the original Monkey Island Boxed, also i need a new book of patherns, i lost mine :)

elTee
06-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Oh come on. I'm not scary but its true! Let me paint a picture for you:

Mr Jones is, in his own opinion, the worlds greatest fan of Elvis Presley. In his quest to build a world class collection of memorabilia, he happens upon a signed photograph of the king, with a golden frame made from melted down rings Elvis used to wear on stage. He spends a lot of money on this item, so much so in fact that he can't afford to take his wife on holiday that year. Mrs Jones feels resentful. Her husband seems to love Elvis more than he loves her!! Over the years she grows to hate both Elvis AND her husband. One day, Mr Jones falls down the stairs to his untimely demise. Mrs Jones celebrates by giving this rare, one of a kind, unique Elvis photo to a charity store.

Mr Smith, a small time Elvis fan, sees the photo, and buys it for $100, a mere fraction of its true worth. Realising what a gem the item is, he rushes home to his computer and puts the item up on Ebay.

Mr Cooper is, in his own opinion, the worlds greatest fan of Elvis Presley. One day, in his search to find rare Elvis memorabilia, he happens upon a photograph on Ebay, being sold by a Mr Smith.

So the cycle continues.

QueZTone
06-14-2003, 08:21 PM
i said so...he is scary :(

elTee
06-14-2003, 09:44 PM
I'll dance on your grave...

hehe, he knows I'm just kidding

QueZTone
06-14-2003, 11:01 PM
;) ayup

oh and to all those 'i want gf soundtrack' people: buy the RTX soundtrack while you still can!!11 :P

HenryJonesJr.
06-15-2003, 01:58 AM
i wish i knew wtf is lucastones talkin about:confused:

elTee
06-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Yeah, but LucasArts didn't give us any warning they were going to pull the plug on the GF soundtrack. Just one day it was gone. Its not like we decided we didn't want it and then changed our minds. Besides, I don't think RTX will live up to Grim Fandango in any way, least of all the music. I can live without this CD.

BooJaka
06-15-2003, 03:55 PM
I would like to change my Most Wanted Item to The Afterlife Player's Guide (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=88841).

Anyone have any information?

jp-30
06-16-2003, 10:17 PM
I have a triangular DOTT box, BUT it doesn't have the CD or the instruction manual (I think). def. no CD, I MAY have the instructions, I'll have to look tonight when I get home...

But if the insides were the same as the the rectangle box, it matters not, does it?

I mailed the CD-Rom and possibly instructions to a friend on the other side of the planet as a gift about 6 years ago. It never arrived. So I have a useless, partially empty, though nice and 3-sided DOTT box in my posession.

And as I'm cash strapped right now, I'm willing to consider parting with it for the right price.

You can PM me or email at jph @ hansen.net.nz (no spaces in the email addy, obviously)

My other cool thingie is the "Coming Soon" promo Floppy Disk Tie Fighter poster, with the "Coming Soon" tag able to be ripped off (perforated seam) the bottom for when the game was finally in-store.

Oh, yeah and I have the Farlander Papers & Steele Chronicles from my 1st edn X-Wing & Tie Fighter packages. They're OK.

QueZTone
06-17-2003, 10:46 AM
i think that could be the dream post of LucasTones

elTee
06-17-2003, 05:39 PM
I may have to delete this thread. I don't want people seeing that post... is it worth handing in my mod status? Hmm.......

C Shutt
06-17-2003, 05:54 PM
If this thread is going to turn into a venue for people to flog their old crap, I'd like to point out that I'm always open to offers for the Loom talkie.

BooJaka
06-17-2003, 07:26 PM
On hte same subject if anyone has the Afterlife Player's Guide the can throw it my way. I really don't mind.

Wizball
06-18-2003, 06:38 AM
jp-30: The 3-sided DOTT contains exactly the same like the later normal boxed release.

LucasArts had to pull the 3-sided thingie because it didn't fit well into the shop shelves.
The content was not changed (already pressed heaps of cds and printed manuals).

So a cheap way to make your 3-sided thingie complete is to buy a normal box release on Ebay and therefore beef up your copy.
I bought one of the two I possess for about $120 US on Ebay.com so you have an idea know what to expect if you make it as Ebay auction (with some nice pics and of course the word RARE) :)

Enjoy

I'm interested in that Grim Fandango pushy thingie aswell.
Was it with some of the releases or was it a press promo thing only?

QueZTone
06-19-2003, 10:34 AM
it was a pre-order gift, lucas company store only

freddie
03-21-2004, 03:06 PM
I'm going to drag up an old, but great, dead thread to hawk something.

I have a The Secret of Monkey Island poster for sale/trade in new condition. See my signature for some things I'm still looking for.

bgbennyboy
03-21-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm no collector, but I really want that. Of course so does everyone else round here ::

Back, you dogs, back I say!

scaryrobot
03-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Well I don't have any very impressive lucasarts-only merchandise, so i'll make this my top 3 'adventure-related' merch...

1) Entire collection of Sam and Max comics, including Surfin' the Highway, all mint, plus some advertising slides and promos :D

2) Concept art pencil drawing from the opening scene of Broken Sword 2 signed by Tony Warriner

3) Sam and Max baseball cap

Erwin_Br
03-21-2004, 10:00 PM
Update: I now have every LucasArts game boxed in excellent condition. The last games I bought to complete this collection were Loom, Indy LC, Maniac Mansion and Zak.

Woot!

I'm still looking for special boxes, though, such as the Triangular DOTT box and that beautiful MI collection box with all 4 games in it.

--Erwin

CaliMonk
03-22-2004, 10:25 AM
I collect as well but i don't have anything near as special as everyone here.

I noticed alot were looking for the Triangular DOTT box, it was on ebay this weekend, but when it got to $170 i really didn't feel like bidding more so i didn't win that one.

I do own the boxes to all the titles, and have a few special German onces as well.

My most wanted is still the FM Towns versions but they aren't really easy to get now are they :-)

My most precious is my original first Maniac Mansion boxed release in -near perfect- condition.

mighuel
03-23-2004, 11:27 PM
I thought that I didn't have much relevant LucasArts propaganda until reading this thread. Then I remembered:

- I have pictures where I am wearing my cherished blue Zak McKracken and the Alien Mind Benders T-Shirt as well as my Maniac Mansion T-Shirt, both handed down to my siblings - I should have taken better care - There's a photo somewhere of a dorky young me wearing the Zak McKracken shirt, reading the National Inquisitor, with Groucho Marx glasses and a cowboy hat...

There's still a neatly stacked, yet well read pile of The Adventurer magazine - nearly, if not totally complete - at my parent's estate

The Dig Soundtrack is moody and nice as was the Full Throttle disc...

Then there's the Grim Fandango Soundtrack and Manny Calavera toy -

But perhaps most significant - Dan Pettit is my brother! -

freddie
03-24-2004, 04:13 AM
Here is a picture of the poster if anyone is interested in trading:

http://www.vintagegaming.org/miposter.jpg

You can see some items I'm looking for here:

http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org/wantlist.php

CaliMonk
03-24-2004, 07:26 AM
Originally posted by freddie
Here is a picture of the poster if anyone is interested in trading:

http://www.vintagegaming.org/miposter.jpg

You can see some items I'm looking for here:

http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org/wantlist.php

I can see 4 of the things you want on eBay right now.

Lucasarts Archives Vol. III
White Label The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2 (White Box) (UK)
Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max DVD Keep Case (UK)
Lucasarts Collectors Series Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max (AUS)

freddie
03-24-2004, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by CaliMonk
I can see 4 of the things you want on eBay right now.

Lucasarts Archives Vol. III
White Label The Secret of Monkey Island & Monkey Island 2 (White Box) (UK)
Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max DVD Keep Case (UK)
Lucasarts Collectors Series Day of the Tentacle / Sam & Max (AUS) Sure not everything on my list is hard to get. I just may not value some things all that much and so I wait until I can get them for a good price on eBay. <insert analogy about building Rome now>

CaliMonk
03-24-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by freddie
Sure not everything on my list is hard to get. I just may not value some things all that much and so I wait until I can get them for a good price on eBay. <insert analogy about building Rome now>

True, just helping out though :)

James Isaac
03-26-2004, 03:14 PM
My 3 favourite items are:

3) Indiana Jones FOA poster

2) Grim Fandango Year 1 Hint Book

1) Grim Fandango Collector's Eidition

And there are a lot of things I want. The thing I want the most is probably the manny toy.

CaliMonk
03-26-2004, 09:24 PM
Somehow i can't imagine http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2796086135&category=30295#ebayphotohosting being real?

freddie
03-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by CaliMonk
Somehow i can't imagine http://cgi.ebay.nl/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2796086135&category=30295#ebayphotohosting being real? It is as real as if you sat down at your home with of block of clay and decided to make 10 purple tentacles ;)