PDA

View Full Version : Cuss us out and stuff here...

MrManager
06-12-2003, 07:56 PM
... just in case you'd like to ¬ ¬

Gabez
06-12-2003, 08:02 PM
This is a sad day for SCUMM Bar news updaters called Gabez :~

How am I going to feed my nine starving children now? :~

It was also my SCUMM Bar 1 year birthday not that long ago. :~ Ah the memories. ;

Thrik
06-12-2003, 08:04 PM
Not to worry, I'm sure Blood Island (http://www.bloodisland.com) will happily take up the position of the Monkey Island community hub.

bgbennyboy
06-12-2003, 08:05 PM
I weep openly, and for real this time, not just to sound cool and fit in.

Courthold
06-12-2003, 08:11 PM
Sorry to see the site go :( Now i must rely on LTM for all my monkey island news.

telarium
06-12-2003, 08:13 PM
I remember working with Skyfox on the logo for The SCUMM Bar back in 1997 or 98. Good times.

The logos I made sucked, by the way.

Squinky
06-12-2003, 08:17 PM
Great, now Remi can go back to his busy life of potato-eating and watermelon-humping.

MrManager
06-12-2003, 08:21 PM
And you know you love it Squeekso. ;-*

Noodle_ss
06-12-2003, 08:45 PM
Damn.

It is a sad day :(

Skyfox
06-12-2003, 09:56 PM
oh come on Tel.. those logos ruled! certainly for their time.

I actually forgot to thank *ALL* who participated in the site over the years in the press release thingywhatsit. All the staff, all the people who sent in art, that novel writing dude who is my best mate, all the ops at #mi and that small dude with horns who sits on my shoulder.

Dude! I've been hanging round that remi dude too much... saying dude FAR too often.

Andi Wan
06-12-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by RemiO
HINT: It's not what you think. ¬ ¬
Well Remi, that certainly is not what I thought.

The Scumm Bar was one of the first sites I ever visited on the internet. This is more sad than this post can hope to describe.

Oh well, I guess people have to move on.

Cheers Skyfox. Cheers Remi. You gave us some good times.

(curls up in the foetal position and rocks)

Metallus
06-13-2003, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the help with MI2, SCUMM Bar. :~

Riffage
06-13-2003, 12:22 AM
So long, the site will be missed :(

Huz
06-13-2003, 01:06 AM
Drink up, the world's about to end.

Udvarnoky
06-13-2003, 01:14 AM
This may seem a tad weird, but uh....

....why?

Alia
06-13-2003, 01:33 AM
Why?? Die, inhuman wretch! No, that came out wrong. What I meant to say was cuss. Cuss cuss cuss cuss cuss.

*eyes brim with unshed tears*

An integral part of the world just died, and you want to know why it's about to end? Good lord. Don't be thick. Buy yourself that drink and ponder it for a while.

*returns to hysterical paroxysms of grief*

Udvarnoky
06-13-2003, 01:37 AM
Not WHY the world is going to end. That is pretty clear to me. I want to know why the SCUMM Bar has closed.

Qouhog
06-13-2003, 01:41 AM
Sorry to see it go, this was the best site to cover the topic that it was about.

Andi Wan
06-13-2003, 01:45 AM
The whole site has probably been nuked by the friggin server operator guy. (skin him, boil him, bury him alive!)

Unless they had a back up version of the site and its content, it would probably take them forever to get it back to what it was.

Remi probably doesn't have the time/inclination to start again.

Xzooma
06-13-2003, 02:05 AM
damnit... Thanks for everything guys. Site was my homepage for the past 8 months, loved it. About 5 ppl here in indiana know about MI. GL with the new stuff that comes along.

btw Ian, Remi I got that MI t-shirt you guys want it?

Kingzjester
06-13-2003, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by Andi Wan
The Scumm Bar was one of the first sites I ever visited on the internet. This is more sad than this post can hope to describe.I'll have to say the same. Nostalgia setting in.

Remi, it is nothing personal, but I sortof stopped visiting the site when Skyfox headed out. I don't know why. I am certain it was nothing personal. That Captain Mystery feud was nothing but fun, so that couldn't've been it.

I am all faklempt. It is an odd feeling. Try to remember when this applied to you: you are walking down the street, PI55ED for whatever superficial reason, and you feel as if you may strangle with your bare hands the first bum that asks you for a quarter---and suddenly, out of nowhere, through a rift in time, the oh-so-familiar smell of your summerhouse drifts under your nose. The mental picture of your long-gone grandfather - more vivid than it's been in years - with a backdrop of cherry orchards in bloom grips you like a coughing fit. We have cherry orchards around our summerhouse, and rows and rows of roses and rosemary and figs and walnuts and blackberries.... I haven't been there in six years. I think my uncle said that it's all wilted since the bombing. I blame Madeline Albright.

It feels, you know, like Jammin' by Bob Marley, like Moondance by Van Morrison. Like a passing orgasm, only without the silly pose you find yourself in. Like lost love, like a natural high, like a metropolitan night with stars! A blithe melancholy, in a class of its own, chasing away the ire of petty existence.

... then that bum appears and lost in the moment you hand over your whole wallet.

Attached to a site. Like to a childhood toy.

Rosebud.

Rosebud.

sigh

Ryback
06-13-2003, 03:54 AM
I guess this means the MI novel will never be completed...

C Shutt
06-13-2003, 04:51 AM
Dude, whatever.

Ray Jones
06-13-2003, 05:06 AM
Cant we just upload the data we downloaded? i mean gfx, sfx all the stuff??? yes maybe it wouldnt be the latest .. but with that "half" backup and some superpirates .. and the articles etc .. will be discussed freshly new .......... .... ... ... .. . . . .... . . . could it be that "ez"???? is it totally screwed.. really?
:(

Andi Wan
06-13-2003, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by RayJones
could it be that "ez"???? is it totally screwed.. really?
I guess it is totally screwed.

Thrik
06-13-2003, 07:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that Remi has the data himself, and is going to leave it up for people to get nostalgic over when the server relives.

I don't think that the closure is related to the server problems at all though, so don't worry about that.

jannar85
06-13-2003, 07:47 AM
Curse you all! Betraying Skyfox and everything!

What about us??
Why do you do this to us??

Am I hopeless, and will be commiting suicide now, because I read that you'd closed??

Skyfox would have kept it alive longer ¬¬
I miss Skyfox... That Skyfox who posted here... it was a hoax..
I'm positive.

I hope this is just a joke....
...but it's not 1st April....

I hope it's still a joke... :(

...or there will be no Foodbelly for you guys ¬¬
......hmmm.... allright, there will be then, I guess... :rolleyes:

scabb
06-13-2003, 08:01 AM
Remi is a bad man :~

Thrik
06-13-2003, 08:12 AM
That isn't a fake Skyfox you fool. In fact, I think it's Skyfox who wanted to close it.

GregD
06-13-2003, 09:34 AM
This is the sadest news i've heard in a while. All my respect to skyfox and remi and all the other people who contributed for doing a fantastic job on the site over the years. I still don't understand why you guys are closing it but it was by far the best resource for MI related stuff and we can at least remember it for that.

Joshi
06-13-2003, 09:42 AM
You know, it wasn't my favotie MI site, but i'll miss it more than i would any other mi site if they closed down. This is a sad day.

And just a though, Remi, there was a lot of stuff on that site which we couldn't get elsewhere on other mi sites, any chance of seeing them on BSBC so we'd still have access to them?

Thrik
06-13-2003, 09:55 AM
I think it's likely that the Scumm Bar will still be available for looking at, it just won't ever be updated again. I asked Remi in IRC and he seemed to say that'd be so, and yeah.

Governor Phatt
06-13-2003, 10:14 AM
:cry6:

temibile pirata
06-13-2003, 10:18 AM
I was visiting the site every day since 1997, I'll really miss it. Thanks for all that have you done for Monkey Island, Scumm Bar!

Hyena
06-13-2003, 10:23 AM
Bye bye Scumm Bar, we'll remember you. It's a promise.

---Good bye from all the Italian fans---

QueZTone
06-13-2003, 10:25 AM
was there ANY "ooh let's ask Ralgath to take over" noooooooo
"let's see what Ral thinks of this.." noooooo

you schmucks! :~

you'll be hearing from me!

Joshi
06-13-2003, 11:16 AM
I think we just did.

BooJaka
06-13-2003, 11:18 AM
Sigh. And I thought I'd seen the worst when The Scumm Bar closed its legendary forums back in 98 or whenever that was.

Good luck for the future y'all

Haggis
06-13-2003, 12:47 PM
Bye. We'll never be the same without you. I hope you'll enjoy being undead, though.

Marek
06-13-2003, 01:43 PM
Oh great. First we had to lose Booty Island, then LucasFans went down and now the SCUMM Bar is gone. WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO?!?!?

Wait, does anyone even remember Booty Island around here? Well, I guess my point is that some other site will just fill the void. It's sad to see the SCUMM bar go though.

Thanks guys. It was great while it lasted! :craider:

TheMonkeyGuy
06-13-2003, 02:12 PM
ˇNooooooo!:( :( :(
I love ScummBar, i hope that it will be back any day :( :(

Herman Toothdecay
06-13-2003, 02:18 PM
The SCUMM Bar was the second site on the internet I ever visited... right after Garfield.com hahahaaa. I will miss you!

Jake
06-13-2003, 03:40 PM
For quite a long time I thought Mixnmojo was stupid and uninteresting, but read the SCUMM Bar nearly every day. Skyfox and Remi are stupid jerks for closing the site, but it's understandable... I guess. :cry6: 3 years since a Monkey Island game came out, like 7 years since a good one ¬. ... :(

You guys suck, and the new site better be about something cooler than Silent Hill.

Love,

Jake

mymipage
06-13-2003, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Skyfox
I actually forgot to thank *ALL* who participated in the site over the years in the press release thingywhatsit.

Skyfox? So you're not just a myth

Anyway, I'll miss the SCUMM Bar, etc... it was a great site, and host

Skyfox
06-13-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jake

You guys suck, and the new site better be about something cooler than Silent Hill.

Oh sure Jake! Go tell 'em what we are doing next! And I had worked so hard messing with people's heads about it! Just ask poor Ral... or whatever his name is these days ;p I had a great little clue in that press release too!

Anyway, thanks for those kind words.. and I agree.. remi is a stupid jerk!! ;p

*runs off all giddy to play with his new laptop*

And Mymipage, I may not be a myth.. but it doesn't mean I'm not computer generated! Have you seen that film Simone? No? Me neither.. but I hear it has Winona Ryder in it.

elTee
06-13-2003, 06:03 PM
Its a shame, but I only went to the SCUMM Bar occasionally. So, what's happening to the content? Is it getting lost, or is it now available for other sites to steal?

And who was captain mystery? Or was that another site...

Joshi
06-13-2003, 06:31 PM
LucasTones, in answer to your question about what's happening to the content,

Originally posted by Thrik
I think it's likely that the Scumm Bar will still be available for looking at, it just won't ever be updated again. I asked Remi in IRC and he seemed to say that'd be so, and yeah.

So it's not entirely hopeless.

DasJan
06-13-2003, 07:40 PM
Yeah, who was Captain Mystery?

Anyway, thanks for all the years of Monkey Island stuff, it was truly a great site.

Das Jan

MrManager
06-13-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by DasJan
Yeah, who was Captain Mystery?

Who knows?

Rapp Scallion
06-13-2003, 08:32 PM
The whole site has probably been nuked by the friggin server operator guy. (skin him, boil him, bury him alive!)

Boil him, mash him, stick him in a stew.

Originally posted by jannar85
I hope this is just a joke....
...but it's not 1st April....

I thought the exact same thing.

Gee... This is really bad, guys. I'm kinda sad right now. Yeah, sad. I will miss this.

Will the scummbar become undead if the new monkey island game will be announced? (Hva sier du???? Hva sier du???? *Standing on my knees, looking up against the sky with my hands up in the air shouting*). <=Oh, i just said "What do you say" in a emotional way in norwegian.

I hope this is not the end. It's not!!! I cannot accept this is happening. Nope, scummbar will be back!!!! :) :) It will be back, it will be back, it will be back.....
It has to... :( :cry6:

Trapezoid
06-13-2003, 08:33 PM
I think the Scumm Bar was the web community I frequented. Today is a sad day. :( I'll miss you guys.

Tell me where does all the magic go
When the curtain falls to end the show
Do the clowns always cry
When they pack up the paper sky?
When the champagne is being poured
And the lock is on the old stage door
Will there still be a clown in the sky for me?

Jake
06-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Clown in the sky :cry3: gets ya right here, and it gets ya right here. :(

Kingzjester
06-13-2003, 10:00 PM
Cry number 3 is broken. Man, everything is going down the drain. Folks, I still don't understand (not as if it has been explained already), why? Randy Sluganski is, like, 75 years old and he is still pushing his little thing. Could it be that you're sick and tired of the whole thing? Why not just hand it over to somebody else?

Andi Wan
06-14-2003, 01:05 AM
Skyfox and Remi are stupid jerks for closing the site, but it's understandable... I guess. :cry6: 3 years since a Monkey Island game came out, like 7 years since a good one ¬. ... :(
Yeah. It's difficult to accept, but Jake is probably right. Hurmph. There is probably not any crazy sexy cool new info about Monkey Island that is going to arise any time soon.

What's the term, "jumping the shark"?

You guy still suck though. cuss.

I LOVE THE SCUMM BAR!!

QueZTone
06-14-2003, 04:49 AM
I guess. :cry6: 3 years since a Monkey Island game came out, like 7 years since a good one ¬. ... :(

wow, you're rite, time flies! :~

Lemort
06-14-2003, 05:54 AM
When I was a kid there was a T.V. show called Monkey Magic.

Monkey Magic was a low budget, badly-dubbed Chinese series about the adventures of an unlikely group of characters, led by a demi-god called Monkey. Monkey could pluck a hair from his chest and use it to summon a cloud to fly about on. He could turn into a fly, or grow to the size of a giant. He wore a metal headband that a priest could make shrink and crush his head if he misbehaved.

Sometimes I'd catch an episode of Monkey Magic when it was on. Sometimes I'd forget to watch it, or I'd have better things to do than stare at the T.V.

Monkey Magic isn't broadcast anymore, and you know what? I'd do anything to watch it again.

What's this got to do with the SCUMM Bar, you say?

It just goes to show that you never really appreciate something until it is gone.

Thanks for all your work, guys.

Lemort
06-14-2003, 06:05 AM
One more thing.

Presuming that a lack of time and/or motivation is to blame for the closure, perhaps it would be possible to find someone to carry on the good work.

I can't direct or write an episode of Monkey Magic (and I'm too old and out of shape to play Monkey!), but I can think of lots of interesting ways to freshen up the site. I'm sure that there are many other people who feel the same way.

Err...Feel the same way about the site, that is. I doubt that many people care or even remember Monkey Magic.

Now, excuse me while I hug myself, rock back and forth in my chair, and sing the Monkey Magic theme song whilst crying about all the things that I've lost.

"Born *sniffle* from an egg on a *choke* mountain top, Monkey was funky..."

iceqb
06-14-2003, 06:19 AM
When i first read the news i was literally crying <-- this is not a joke (it was probably the music) but now i've learned to live with it and i just wanna say good luck in whatever you're gonna do, and maybe i'll se you arround

Andi Wan
06-14-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Lemort
Monkey Magic was a low budget, badly-dubbed Chinese series about the adventures of an unlikely group of characters, led by a demi-god called Monkey...I'd do anything to watch it again.
The dubbing was done like that intentionally by British actors doing funny voices. Its not bad, its camp! You can watch it again! It's avaliable on DVD (http://www.blackstar.co.uk/circle/search?words=monkey&x=0&y=28) in the UK.

You are right though. This is grossly off topic.

perhaps it would be possible to find someone to carry on the good work.
There are many other sites that do carry on the good work.

I think that the Scumm Bar is Skyfox's site. He always remained involved in some way. If he's not involved anymore, it's not the Scumm Bar, and the mantle should be passed to other worthy sites.

Lemort
06-14-2003, 06:38 AM
The dubbing was done like that intentionally by British actors doing funny voices. Its not bad, its camp! You can watch it again! It's avaliable on DVD (http://www.blackstar.co.uk/circle/search?words=monkey&x=0&y=28) in the UK.

You are right though. This is grossly off topic.

That's great news, because actually I *do* live in... Err... China, actually. Ok, so that's not such good news for me.

And off topic? I thought it was a touching tribute that used a personal childhood memory to highlight my feelings about the closure of the Scumm Bar. Doh!

There are many other sites that do carry on the good work.

Agreed.

There are also lots of other crazy Chinese fantasy movies/programs. I still miss Monkey Magic.

Wow. I'm getting waaaay more mileage out of my Monkey Magic analogy than I ever expected!

I think that the Scumm Bar is Skyfox's site. He always remained involved in some way. If he's not involved anymore, it's not the Scumm Bar, and the mantle should be passed to other worthy sites.

Of course, and I have a lot of respect for Skyfox. I still think that the site could viably continue in some way.

Death_Jedi
06-14-2003, 09:58 AM
well its pretty sad to see such a great site to go...WHY o WHY DID THEY CLOSE
that site will be put down as the best monkey island site ever

Joshi
06-14-2003, 10:31 AM
Okay, so this site is so big, it developed a life of its own. and so it's only right that it have a will when it dies. I think elements of the site should be distributed around other misites around here so it can live in in some form or another.

orudge
06-14-2003, 11:27 AM
Hi everybody,

I haven't posted here before, but I've been a fan of The SCUMM Bar for many years as well as the Monkey Island games, of course.

If hosting is a problem, then I can provide reliable hosting for the site if necessary - I have my own server and I'd hate to see TSB disappear! To most people here I'm probably just a stranger, but I do own several popular sites (eg, www.tt-forums.net). If there's any way I can help, then please get in touch.

*sniff*

Joshi
06-14-2003, 12:28 PM
I don't actually think hosting is a problem (considering it already gets free hosting from Mojo provided it puts up with advertisements and occasional server downtimes). I think it's main probelm was that it really had nothing to get updated about anymore except stuff that the fans did and quite frankly, we already have quite a few good mi sites that already count for that (worldofmi, BSBC, MIlegend, as well as Mojo) and so saw itself as redundant. I still hope that it stays up so we can get access to it's info on MI that very few sites have including it's interveiws and articals. Ofcourse, if you do, I'll be visiting less often as I usually visited every day for any new news.

New game, and hopefully you'll all go back, no one did it like you. I'm not sure if that was good or bad, but it was still different and something I liked.

RIP The Scumm Bar, Once, and Future King.
Peace
Neil
;)

Herman Toothdecay
06-14-2003, 12:51 PM
I remember when Skyfox reprimanded me for posting a million messages whilst I was fooling around with VBScript like four years ago. What a great father he was to me lol; not really, but The SCUMM Bar really did make an impact on the whole community and we're better off for it. Good bye SCUMM Bar. Life will not be the same.

Lambo
06-14-2003, 01:22 PM
Just want to say that this is so bad for the MI world community.
When i first visited THE SCUMM BAR, I decided to have my own web site concerning MI. I've done it thanks to you guys :)
I think i will remember the site for a long time, you made such a great job... :cry8:

ThunderPeel2001
06-14-2003, 08:54 PM
Why? Why? Dear God, WHY???? :(

:ball: :crybaby: :fist: :crybaby: :ball:

~ John

:angel: RIP SCUMM BAR :angel:

Udvarnoky
06-14-2003, 08:56 PM
God, Remi is such a stupid jerk.

Thrik
06-14-2003, 09:46 PM
I'd like to take this oppertunity to announce that you, Udvarnoky, are not welcome here and that you should leave now. Yes? ;)

monkeyadventure
06-14-2003, 10:09 PM
Yeah, the SCUMM bar is gone..and now we'll open the LUA bar! :-)

Kingzjester
06-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by monkeyadventure
Yeah, the SCUMM bar is gone..and now we'll open the LUA bar! :-) Perish the thought!

monkeyadventure
06-14-2003, 10:41 PM
Sure, I agree! I was just joking!
Scumm bar,we'll never forget you!
..and whatever I've never liked the LUA bar..

jma
06-14-2003, 11:40 PM
Hi, all!

I've intentionally stayed out of the posting boards all these years. But I feel compelled to say something upon hearing of the end of the Scumm Bar web site. Whenever I wanted to know something about Monkey Island it's where I went.

I remember one time, while we were making Curse that we actually saw information about our game that the management hadn't told Larry and I about.

As we were making the game, there was a thread on the Scumm Bar about how we were making Curse of Monkey Island in something called "SCUMM 3D." So naturally, we added the "3D" mode in the menu options (which did nothing, because there was never anything called SCUMM 3D). So, in a way, the Scumm Bar contributed to our game.

Cheers to the Scumm Bar!

Sincerely,
Jonathan Ackley
Co-Project leader on "The Curse of Monkey Island"

Rapp Scallion
06-15-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by jma

Cheers to the Scumm Bar!

Cheers, indeed.

Well, since Jonathan Ackley posts here, i suppose i can forget about this being a big evil joke. I suppose it's true, then. Great :(

Scummbar people: When did you decide to shut down the scummbar? And what website shall we go to now if we want news about Monkey Island TM ?

-Rapp Scallion

Thrik
06-15-2003, 11:57 AM
You could always try the other Monkey Island fan sites hosted on the LucasArts Fan Network, and conveniently linked to from the MixnMojo front page (when it's up).

Such as the Monkey Island Legend (http://www.milegend.com), the World of Monkey Island (http://www.worldofmi.com), and I think there's one that I cannot recall.

Jayel
06-15-2003, 01:51 PM
YOU MANIACS!
YOU BLEW IT UP!
DAMN YOU!
DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

Hyena
06-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Skyfox, you'v closed the site 'cause of your age, your duties, the attack or the hacker or what?

Joshi
06-15-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by jma
So, in a way, the Scumm Bar contributed to our game.

Cheers to the Scumm Bar!

Sincerely,
Jonathan Ackley
Co-Project leader on "The Curse of Monkey Island"

Wow, The Scumm Bars bigger than I thought.

mymipage
06-15-2003, 04:33 PM
Such as the Monkey Island Legend (http://www.milegend.com), the World of Monkey Island (http://www.worldofmi.com), and I think there's one that I cannot recall.

Other Monkey Island (English) Websites are:
http://www.bloodisland.com
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/paulsuth/homepage.htm
http://www.monkeymug.com
http://tmogt.monkeymug.com
and my site, The BSBC - http://www.brimstonebc.com (when Mojo's back) Mini Site at http://www.tlkwebdesign.com/bsbc

Carlius
06-15-2003, 04:55 PM
*sigh* This is hard.....
The first time I saw it I thought it was a joke..... later I started to realise......damn I didn't think you could get emotional over a thing like this...apparently I was wrong. I have been visiting the scumm bar since 1apparently 998.
Thanks Remi and Ian for being such true monkey island fans. You contributed to that the monkey island cult is as big as it is today.
You will be missed. Though I hoped you could give the site away to someone else, it perhaps never becomes the same.

You truly did it your way.....

best regards Carlius

Hyena
06-15-2003, 05:30 PM
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every single day
Every stap you made
I'll missing you.........

P.S So, if someone would chat with us, www.phattlibrary.tk has a chat of : http://pub41.bravenet.com/chat/show.php?usernum=3502892707&cpv=1.

It will be a honour for us to meet someone of you in our chat!
Please, tell us WHEN you are going to come...

Andi Wan
06-16-2003, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi
Wow, The Scumm Bars bigger than I thought.
And you thought any less? Shame on you Neil!

Hyena
06-16-2003, 07:26 AM
I want to thank you, 'cause today at 1:00 pm (Italy) GABEZ and SCABB have gone into our chat!

Thank you folks, thank you very much!
It is only a little step, in order to become friends...

That was great, yeah, but I WAS NOT THERE WHEN THAT FACT IS HAPPENED!

Well... I hope you're going to return into oru chat http://pub41.bravenet.com/chat/show...02892707&cpv=1.
and I hope I'LL BE THERE!

Come into www.phattlibrary.tk and visit our chat http://pub41.bravenet.com/chat/show...02892707&cpv=1.

And tell that HYENA SEND YOU TO THE ITALIAN CHAT...

Thank you,
good bye

Alien426
06-16-2003, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by Hyena
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every single day
Every stap you made

Isn't that:

Every game of Quake
Every camp you stake
Every rule you break
Every move you fake
I'll be dodging you...

Anyways, bye-bye SCUMM Bar. It's been nice knowing you.

Hyena
06-16-2003, 07:38 AM
Anyway it would have been an hard (or A hard) choose for Skyfox... But WHY have he closed the site?
we'll missing Scumm Bar!!!

P.S.Well...There was an error with the link of the chat
Here there is the chat of www.phattlibrary.tk Please come to visit us, and tell that HYENA SEND YOU...

Chat: http://pub41.bravenet.com/chat/show.php/3502892707
Or call: 1-800-Hyena-pizza-spaghetti-mandolino

bgbennyboy
06-16-2003, 09:10 AM
No more pimping of your site, there is already a thread about it in Feedback Centre, use it, this thread isnt the place.

Spitmaster
06-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Well what can I say thats allready been said? I truly loved the site, I think it kept alive the M.I spirit, since most of the adventure games are in a way dying. People are more concerned with the 3D action games.
So this I say goodbye to the site and the people who supplie the huge information about the MI series. I thank you all for making that 7 years of Monkey Madness!!
One of my hopes was to get the news from the Scummbar about the release of MI 5.
I say goodbye with a word from my native language - Saudade!

Cya !!!!

Hyena
06-16-2003, 09:23 AM
I think my best memory is the emotion I'v felt when I was reading the chatlog with Ron Gilbert!

Paco (V)
06-16-2003, 09:59 AM
Farewell Scummbar! I'll miss you
(Never thought I would say I'd go miss a website. Your Bill Tiller interview was the best feature evar.)

Udvarnoky
06-16-2003, 10:24 PM
I'd like to take this oppertunity to announce that you, Udvarnoky, are not welcome here and that you should leave now. Yes? ;)

I had to take a ride on the bandwagon for awhile:)

Imtay Aferschay
06-17-2003, 04:51 AM
(Okay, I've never posted to one of these things evar, so forgive me if I screw things up and erase everybody else's message and electrocute you and anybody who is touching you. Here goes...)

I'm having a hard time accepting this. It's not like I really contributed, ever, to the scummbar. Or helped in anyway. Or was very supportive of it. But gosh, it was good to know it was there, you know? And now that it's leaving, I have to wonder about.. everything. Everything is in question now. I mean, what does it mean that the scummbar is going away? Is the world over? Can we leave? Or do we stay in this empty world and just not care anymore? Is it okay to just not give a damn? Can we drive on the wrong side of the street? Can I wear a fanny pack and grow a mustache? Pick my nose in front of girls? Can I do anything now? If there is no scummbar does anything matter at all?

Anyway, I'm not going to suddenly jump in here at the end and act like I was an active, posting member of the community all of a sudden. But I have popped into the scummbar on a regular basis for years. True, I would just open up the front page, search through for my name, and then close it back up again. But those few moments always meant so much to me.

I will miss the scummbar. I would get all sappy and sentimental on ya, but I'm still not sure that this whole "shutting down" bit isn't just some lame April Fool's Joke. So I'm going to play it c o o l . . . .yeah, that's right. Whadup?

So, in conclusion, quit screwing around and put the damn site back up! Let this horrible joke be over! Let us never speak of it again.

Love,
Tim Schafer
www.doublefine.com

Andi Wan
06-17-2003, 05:21 AM
WOW. TIM SCHAFER!!!
Come on guys, how can you argue with that?

The benevolent god of Adventure gaming (and reigning king of Norway) has made his will clear.

He wants the Scumm Bar to stay open.

Heed his advice, lest he smite you!

CaliMonk
06-17-2003, 08:18 AM
I don't post often but this is worthy of my post i guess :)

Its a true shame to think that The Scummbar would quit, when i joined the 'scene' back in 97 it was the First Monkey Island site i found along with mixnmojo. Back then it really made a good impression on me, it was what got me familier with the #monkey-island chat room which eventually made me grow into the IT Specialist(?) i am now.

Don't take away my Yoda! :x

Also, always respect The Schafer, mommy told me to always listen to insane people because you never know what might happen ¬¬

Joshi
06-17-2003, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by Our God!
(Okay, I've never posted to one of these things evar, so forgive me if I screw things up and erase everybody else's message and electrocute you and anybody who is touching you. Here goes...)

Don't worry, that generally doesn't hapen twice in one year. :D

Okay, so we've had two people who worked on a monkey island game come along and express their views on this, this is great. :D

And sad at the same time.

Kingzjester
06-17-2003, 11:29 AM
*Eyes glaze over*

Udvarnoky
06-17-2003, 02:11 PM
I really did love this place.

*sob*

Joshi
06-17-2003, 02:50 PM
Okay, so with all the weird names around here that i don't bother reading, forgive me for only just getting Tim schaffers pig latin user name. :D Funny.

MrManager
06-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Dude. The Tim Schafer. Maybe if you'd agreed to be interviewed we wouldn't have quit. Thanks for stopping by!

Skyfox
06-17-2003, 04:04 PM
Bloody Hell!! Jonathan Ackley AND Tim Schafer!

Tim, Please excuse my partner in crime, (aka Remi) what he means to say is "Sorry for sending you a crappy/unfunny email requesting an interview!" We shall not discuss WHO wrote the email though. ¬¬

I remember the day Jonathan and Larry mentioned the SCUMM Bar in that chat, I don't think I heve ever grinned so much... except maybe one other time.. during Monty Pythons Life of Brian. I had always heard that you had seen something on the site.. but NEVER knew what it was... SCUMM 3D eh? I'm well chuffed!

And afraid it's no joke, and besides, for me.. you will NEVER beat the buzz that was around when CMI was first announced.

Thanks very much you two! Wish you all the best in your future games *cough*GrimFandango2*cough* and hope you stick around to read this :)

Lots of love
~Skyfox

Andi Wan
06-17-2003, 04:30 PM
Our beloved SCUMM Bar is down for good.

BUT, whilst drowning your sorrows, check out this site and relive the SCUMM Bar's glory days! (http://www.huzatron.freeserve.co.uk/joey/fishbar/)

Funny. I don't remember there being so many fish...

(Is this your site Huz?)

Thrik
06-17-2003, 04:44 PM
I do hope Timmy looks at the Grim Fandango Network too, right? ;)

And great to see you. I love seeing how so many different people, from the little to the godlike enjoyed the site.

JackTheFearest
06-17-2003, 04:56 PM
MI AT THE BAT

The outlook wasn't brilliant for the MI sites that day,
The sites didn't stands, and the fans were whining away.

And then when SCUMMBar died first, and Mojo did the same,
A pall-like silence fell upon the fans of those beloved games.

A straggling few got up to go in deep despair. The rest
Clung to that hope which springs eternal in the human breast.
They thought, "Even if only SCUMMBar would succed
We'd put up even money now, that everything will be fine indeed.

So upon that stricken multitude, grim melancholy sat;
for there seemed but little chance of SCUMMBar comming back.

But Legend made it back up, to the wonderment of all.
But SCUMMBar looked as if it wouldn't raise from it's fall.

Then from five thousand throats and more there rose a lusty yell;
it rumbled through the valley, it rattled in the dell;

it pounded through on the mountain and recoiled upon the flat;
for days have gone by, no SCUMMBar, and that was that.

Ten thousand eyes watched intently as the site stayed closed
Five thousand tongues cursed at the Brazilian ugly foes.

Oh, somewhere in this favored land the sun is shining bright.
The band is playing somewhere, and somewhere hearts are light.
And, somewhere men are laughing, and little children shout,

but there is no joy in MI sites --
mighty SCUMMBar has said, "We're over and out."

Squinky
06-17-2003, 04:56 PM
I post on these boards all the time, and no one ever says "Bloody Hell!!!111 It's Squinky!!!11". I think I deserve at least as much admiration as Tim Shaffir or whatever.

Oh, and please, someone give that guy above me something productive to do.

Kingzjester
06-17-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
I post on these boards all the time, and no one ever says "Bloody Hell!!!111 It's Squinky!!!11". I think I deserve at least as much admiration as Tim Shaffir or whatever.

Oh, and please, someone give that guy above me something productive to do. Dude, you are not a deity. Shut up and salaam like everybody else.

It is a bit disconcerting, if not flat-out unfair: you write a brief obituary after the site dies, but you never bother answering to a timid interview plea, even to say, “**** off wankers! I am a busy, busy man! I have no time for insignificant pawns such as yourselves!”

tisk

Aranolorion
06-17-2003, 07:33 PM
sigh..."Everything dies, baby, that's a fact, but maybe everything that dies, someday comes back." - The Boss. This is hard, prolly worse than the past for most ppl involved, but...sh!t happens, and the best things survive. mojo will survive the lec(am i still allowed say that?) community will survive, and the spirit of the scumm bar and any other sites fallen will always live on..

Dream Forever.

Udvarnoky
06-17-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm giving you guys one last chance to do the right thing.....

JackTheFearest
06-18-2003, 12:52 AM
Well...I thought my poem was quite interesting...heartfelt on this side at least...as was my article...oh well..."I will never eat a root again"

draedan
06-18-2003, 07:50 PM
you all definitely don't know me, i haven't participated in these forums ever. but the important thing is i've been watching every step of scummbar since the day opened, one of my first browsed site.

i remember all designs they had done, all images, even the room of skyfox - if i'm not wrong ? - when i learned the saddest news , i've been almost crying, yes, almost. it's so hard to leave a lover, yes i 've been in this mood in some of my girlfriends situations. definitely, this is no different than those.

i loved those 90s decade, playing monkeys, those bbs ages, those were great and only the site that make me remember those years is closed, so so sad for me ...

this shouldn't be my first msg in this forum.

and Scumm Bar is so great site that 1000s of international users meet in a flat, i guess there won't be a site or community like this.

god bless you all the makers, skyfox and others. we'll be missing you deeply.

Huz
06-18-2003, 08:41 PM
Our beloved SCUMM Bar is down for good.

BUT, whilst drowning your sorrows, check out this site and relive the SCUMM Bar's glory days! (http://www.huzatron.freeserve.co.uk/joey/fishbar/)

Funny. I don't remember there being so many fish...

(Is this your site Huz?)

I take no responsibility for the actions of Joey.

That site does evoke some nostalgia though, as does The Internet Wayback Machine (http://web.archive.org). Ah, memories.

JackTheFearest
06-19-2003, 01:10 AM
memories
through the corners of my mind....

Lemort
06-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by Udvarnoky
I'm giving you guys one last chance to do the right thing..... :(

You were talking to me, right?

Right?

Please don't tell me that I've just donated my home, family, pet dog, and all my savings to the World Wildlife Fund for no reason...

madmonkeygal!
06-19-2003, 11:00 AM
I used to visit The Scumm Bar on a semi- regular basis, usually to check out the MI news, which was excellent, and although the site was, admittedly, not my favourite MI site (My fave's the World of MI, but then, that was the first site I found..) it was still a great site for MI information. I'll particularly miss the media section...
And it is incredibly cool that two of the main names in the MI game production have contributed to this thread! All we need now is Ron Gilbert himself!

ED
06-19-2003, 12:44 PM
Well I'm not going to try and say I visited the Scumm bar for years but It was the second MI site on the net I ever visited, and after the great downtime of 2001 I visited it at least once a week to see what was going on. I'll always remember the site for being the place to get all the best info on the MI games as well as interesting featuresand interviews with the people behind the games. Goodbye Scummbar

Skyfox
06-19-2003, 04:10 PM
ok guys.. this is a pretty unbelieveable responce we have had. I honestly didn't expect it, and certainly not fantastic messages from Jonathan and Tim!

As far as i was concerned.. this was it! SCUMM Bar was no more... it was an ex-parrot! But now... i don't know..

If the data can be fully recovered, would you like it back? Or do you think it has had it's day?

Let me know...

bgbennyboy
06-19-2003, 04:20 PM
You bastard, you know damm well the answer will be 'oh God yes', this is an exercise in ego-boosting. Bring it back already!

Mort-Hog
06-19-2003, 04:22 PM
I think it'd be good if everything Scummbar had was transferred to Mojo and then Mojo would be the one site to rule them all.

MrManager
06-19-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Mort-Hog
I think it'd be good if everything Scummbar had was transferred to Mojo and then Mojo would be the one site to rule them all.

This won't happen for multiple reasons we've just discussed. ;

QueZTone
06-19-2003, 04:33 PM
haha you skyfox you!

that's it, now you really can't go back anymore! You must bring it back! You know everyone wants to!

Hooray!

MonkeyBastard
06-19-2003, 06:22 PM
Hell, if you don't want to keep running the site, send me all the files. I'll gladly keep it going. Anything to keep the Monkey Island community alive 'n well. It really is/was the best Monkey Island resource on the web.

-RoG-
http://www.I-Mockery.com

Skyfox
06-19-2003, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by bgbennyboy
You bastard, you know damm well the answer will be 'oh God yes', this is an exercise in ego-boosting. Bring it back already!

Afraid my ego was boosted to it's maximum when Jonathan and Tim posted here. So it's defo not that... and if the site did come back, I would have very little to do with the day to day running (they just need me cause i pay for the domian names these days!)

I assure you this wasn't a publicity stunt... we don't claim to be going and then come back unexpectedly like some people I could mention! *dig* *dig* This was it... but the responce has just stunned us all.. certainly me!

and Benny.. you don't live in Newton-le-willows do you?!?!

bgbennyboy
06-19-2003, 06:42 PM
Pah, I know better than to tell a scouser where I live. Newton-le-Willows? I hear its that place where all the Harry Potter books got nicked in that wagon, but me? I live in like Devon, yes oo-arr, I live in Devon loike.

Udvarnoky
06-19-2003, 08:28 PM
....everybody is a stupid jerk.

Bring it back, and I won't have to hurt you.

Murray-Mint
06-19-2003, 09:02 PM
We want you back! Damnit Skyfox, let the site continue, cuss you RemiO, keep at it! Get the data back and let the site live on!

PS. I don't want my one piece of CMI inspired Fan-Art to be lost

netmonkey
06-19-2003, 10:22 PM
I'm an idiot:

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1195811#post1195811

Sopabuena
06-20-2003, 12:34 AM
What is dead, dead it is. It can't just come back to life, unless this was some kind of 80's movie about zombies... imagine Remi with a mullet.

¬

MrManager
06-20-2003, 12:41 AM
How did you know about my 80s image, Sopa? ¬

RoKo
06-20-2003, 06:43 AM
Don't let the SCUMM Bar die.
I first thought, this has to be a joke.
It's especially unfair after you announced an update.

It is the only site I visit regularly since I first started Netscape.
I can't imagine life without the SCUMM Bar.
I'd even invest a bunch of money, if it could help to get it up and running again.

Internet without the SCUMM Bar is like a Hard Disk without Monkey Island.

Udvarnoky
06-20-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by RoKo

Internet without the SCUMM Bar is like a Hard Disk without Monkey Island.

Y...you...you mean there IS such a hard drive?

Bastards.

Miss Sixty
06-20-2003, 06:22 PM
It has to come back! It will be... I loved that page...

(It has to come back or ill ****ing breaking in to those servers and..)

Opps did I write that.. Hmm :rolleyes:

(That was a joke!)

ThunderPeel2001
06-20-2003, 11:05 PM
Every breath you take
Every move you make
Every single day
Every stap you made

I can't believe you quoted Puff Daddy! :( :( :(

Skyfox, this had BETTER be the cruelest joke ever, or I'll... or I'l... WAH! :crybaby:

~ John

Kingzjester
06-21-2003, 02:34 AM
Originally posted by ThunderPeel2001
I can't believe you quoted Puff Daddy! :( :( :(Dude, I'll call the freakin' Police if you make that sort of insinuation again.

Andi Wan
06-21-2003, 02:57 AM
So sayeth Retro-Mojo
The good news is, we just heard back from the disk recovery specialists, and our damaged hard drive can be recovered 100%. That means that sometime in the near future Mixnmojo, its hosted sites, and pretty much the rest of the LFNetwork community will be back on its feet.

Well Mr Skyfox, it appears that all the data can be recovered!

I guess this means that you'll just have to KEEP RUNNING THE SITE!!!!!

GregD
06-21-2003, 10:25 AM
Ian,

I don't see why it couldn't come back after all this ego boosting now (¬¬). If remi doesn't want to run it maybe you should seriously think of finding someone else. It would be such a waste after so many years of good times (and free grog!) to just close it.

I also don't understand why you don't have a more active role in what originally was yours, but that is your business not mine i guess. I think from all the posts here you can see people want it back.

And from someone else who lives in lpool i don my black curly scouser wig and humbly quote the god of scousers:

o/~ ALLL WEEE AREEE SAYYYIN IS GIVE SCUMMBAR A CHANCEEE o/~

Joshi
06-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Give it to me, you pay for it, I'll run it! (I'm well aware that that would never happen and you have no intention of giving this site to a complete stranger, but considering everyone else was making stupid comments like this, I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon).

Face it guys, the site is gone, let it rest, RIP Scumm Bar, Non Timetis Messor.

Skyfox
06-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by GregD

And from someone else who lives in lpool i don my black curly scouser wig and humbly quote the god of scousers:

o/~ ALLL WEEE AREEE SAYYYIN IS GIVE SCUMMBAR A CHANCEEE o/~

'ey! 'ey! calm down!

Actually, what I can't deny is the HUGE ego boost.. you are quite right there. I mean, it's fantastic isn't it!

For me though, online comminities are a very tiny teeny part of my life now. It was there when I needed it, but now, I no longer have the time nor the motivation to take an active role. I'm happy to just sit at the back, cracking the whip ;p

Udvarnoky
06-21-2003, 02:43 PM
Then put it back up and never update. Then crack the whip all you want.

ThunderPeel2001
06-21-2003, 06:36 PM
Dude, I'll call the freakin' Police if you make that sort of insinuation again.

Oh dear lord, either way I'll be watching you. Geddit?

~ John

mymipage
06-22-2003, 12:26 PM
If the data can be fully recovered, would you like it back? Or do you think it has had it's day?

Let me know...

hmmmmm....I would love the SCUMM Bar to come back, obviously, everyone would, but I also think if you're going to close it, close it! If you re-open it the next time you want to close it the responce might not be as big - why not close it on a high.

Don't hate me for that :S, I loved the SCUMM Bar, they hosted me when no one else would ;) and had the best Monkey Island News and Content on the Internet.

Skyfox
06-22-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by mymipage
but I also think if you're going to close it, close it! If you re-open it the next time you want to close it the responce might not be as big - why not close it on a high.

I couldn't agree more! But I have pressures on me! I mean, Remi has my cat held hostage, gabez wants a job (ever seen a grown man beg? sheesh!) and what tim wants... tim gets...

Kingzjester
06-22-2003, 01:32 PM
...and what tim wants... tim gets... Hear, Hear! Still, no reason to revive the site and have an undead monster plague the internet.

I have a great idea: Why don't you open an altogether new site under different screen name and start from scratch? After a while just steal content from the old Scumm Bar and pretend it is fresh. Whadayasay?

Scull_Daggery
06-22-2003, 05:34 PM
Sorry, but this is just impossible, you can´t just stop one of the greatest sites ever! Think of Gabez, Think of Tim! Don´t stop the beat! if you really want to stop you could give the scepter to someone else, there are a lot of ppl in here who would be glad to take on that resposibility. Don´t let the flame go out, keep the Monkey Island fire burning.

KEEP THE SCUMMBAR ALIVE

Scull out.

bgbennyboy
06-22-2003, 08:36 PM
Never mind Gabez and Tim its me youve gotta watch out for matey, I know where you go to college. When you're stood at the train station, looking across at that building that looks remarkably Grim Fandango-esq, tremble, for any random person that walks past could suddenly grab you by the lapels, pin you against the wall and scream 'You bastard! you closed it! you closed it!'.....unless you give it to Gabez of course.

At least that way he wont be able to fob me off with excuses like 'I dont know what you're talking about', he's a terrible terrible liar.

[Edit] Scull thought I was threatening him, I'm not, I'm threatening Skyfox, thats right I know all about his 'screaming fanboy' phobia, thats why he's going to agree to my demands

Gabez
06-22-2003, 09:10 PM
I honestly don't know what you're talking about. ;¬

Actually I'm quite scared of bgbennyboy now. ;

Skyfox
06-22-2003, 09:18 PM
ahhh... but there is one huge flaw in your evil plan... yes! I HAVE NO LAPELS!

And just in case ya interested... I am there every Wednesday at about 1pm! Now, where did I put that Klingon dagger....

Mentat88
06-22-2003, 10:01 PM
Bring back TehSCUMMBarr back you Fo0LZ.
The Insult Sword Fighting r00leZ!!!!!

Udvarnoky
06-23-2003, 04:02 PM
...............I'm going to kill all of you...........

Drk
06-23-2003, 05:05 PM
Ok , i fell all warm&fuzzy after seeing this highly anticipated flashy info.
You did the right thing.

RoKo
06-23-2003, 09:56 PM
Hurray, it was to good to die :rddance:

Carlius
06-24-2003, 09:55 AM
Play that funky intro......
yeah I'm all giddy now

Spitmaster
06-24-2003, 10:27 AM
Flash it baby, yeah!!!!! SCUMMFreakinBAR!!!!

Gabez
06-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Please keep all discussion for the return in this (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102781) thread. ;-

camaleon
06-24-2003, 08:40 PM
All this was like a nightmare, is good to see that all this guys are picking up Scummbar, well I´m working in a New monkey comic so may be u could reinaugurate your fan art section with it... I think that who really wanted to close it was Skyfox, no RemiO, so this is a great new....

Skyfox
06-24-2003, 08:58 PM
Oh sure! make me the bad guy!

Do you want the truth? YOU WANT THE TRUTH? YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH! I mock your truth handling abilities!

*cue x-files music*

Prizes to all those who can guess how many TV shows/Movies I ripped off in that one post! :p

camaleon
06-24-2003, 09:37 PM
SKYFOX , i'm not making you the bad guy, you have created the biggest Monkey Island fansite and i have visited it since 1996, i only mean that if you don't want to work more in scummbar, your decition of close down the site was wrong... let other people make of your site a legend...

Might you are right may be not, but yes, really i don't know what happened, so i think is better that i shut up...

Thank you for all this great years of good news and fun, and thanks to the new scummbar staff...

*"Thanks to Gabez and RemiO"*

Udvarnoky
06-24-2003, 10:08 PM
He didn't close it down, and I would say anyone has nerve to call the SCUMM Bar creator "wrong."

MrManager
06-25-2003, 12:00 AM
He's wrong all the time. ¬ ¬ Supports Liverpool FC and all.

Skyfox
06-25-2003, 10:17 AM
I know where you live Manc! One day you will wake up and find your little red devil teddy being boiled alive in the kitchen! oh yes...

Joshi
06-25-2003, 12:01 PM
And he certainly doesn't want that to happen, again.

Oh, and Sky, i can't remember the movie for which that phrase was ripped off of (or nicely borrowed, or plagerised, take your pick) but i do know that most TV sitcoms and humorous TV shows (of the simpsons type) have all taken the piss out of it at one point or another.

'I mock your truth handling abilities' came directy from the Simpsons, Sideshow Bob says it to Bart and Lisa in court after he becomes mayor.

Skyfox
06-25-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Neil Joshi
'I mock your truth handling abilities' came directy from the Simpsons, Sideshow Bob says it to Bart and Lisa in court after he becomes mayor.

Corret! Afraid I lied abot the prizes though... The 'truth' comes from a film with Tom Cruise called 'A Few good Men', very cool film!

Lambo
06-26-2003, 06:50 PM
No way to answer the other thred dur to DB problems :(

So I continue there. When I learned a few week ago, the Scumm Bar was gone, I decided to not visit the site anymore (this is logic no ?)
But, I couldn't resit to come back, as I was usually doing...
And what do I learn ? You would like to start again ?
Yeah men, this IS REALLY a very good news... But do not do that anymore... Do you imagine how many heart crisis you provoked ???
Well, just in a word... CONTINUE... :D

Joshi
06-27-2003, 07:27 AM
Corret! Afraid I lied abot the prizes though... The 'truth' comes from a film with Tom Cruise called 'A Few good Men', very cool film!

Okay, so I've never seen this movie, but tell me, in this movie, is Tom Cruise's character really good at something, and then has an attack of confidense, and then some woman come along and show him he really is good at this thing and he ends up with the woman? Only Cocktail and Top Gun give a lot away.