PDA

View Full Version : What new sites would you like to see?

bgbennyboy
06-19-2003, 01:28 PM
I would really like to see a big meta-lec music site, a bit like MIAC when it was good and remotely to do with Lucasarts. It could be categorised by games and author and perhaps have mini reviews, most popular files or whatever. I have over a gig of lec music on my hd, so there's plenty of potential content and there's lots of stuff that people wont find unless they trawl remix sites, like the Ballblazer remix for example. Of course it would also encourage people to make new remixes/music which is what we all really want of course. I'm looking at you Highland Productions¬

The other one i'd like is a big site documenting various aspects of SCUMM resource files and other Lec formats with a view to people being easily able to write tools based around them. Plus articles on how to do/make various things, with a view to helping new people get involved. In other words I want Lucashacks back but expanded.

Those are the ones i'd love to do if I had the time. Someone who isnt me, make them right now. What new sites would everyone else like to see?

Anyone who says "The Scumm Bar 2!" will die¬

C Shutt
06-19-2003, 02:23 PM
I'd like a site where I could get my twelve-part Zak McCracken fanfic hosted.

QueZTone
06-19-2003, 05:24 PM
hmmm Yes i'd like to see a site that gives a "Make your own adventure game" tool which DOESNT require you to know how to actually program :(

jimmycracker
06-19-2003, 05:42 PM
I would like a Mac-only adventure site. Just mac news and history and such - all related to the LEC classics.

Also, I'd like Macscumm to be back up, so I can get a copy of Scumm Xplorer. :mad:

elTee
06-19-2003, 06:48 PM
When Mojo returns in full you can set it to display Mac-only news if you want.

The Music site is a great idea Ben, I'd love to see that. "LucasTunes" hehe... perhaps not ¬

Anyway, I think a big library of LucasArts merchandise would be really useful. Like a list of every item ever produced related to a game, hopefully with pictures submitted from the fanbase. So you could select a game, Indiana Jones and the fate of Atlantis, for example, and it would load up a page with a list of all the related products. This would mean comics, posters, soundtracks.. everything! It would be an invaluable resource for collectors like myself, and also useful if you are unsure as to an item on Ebay's reliability. The other day I saw a "Monkey Island" (air quotes) blow up Monkey. Jake said it WAS used by LucasArts at the EMI party, BUT wasn't an official product.

Huz
06-19-2003, 07:17 PM
Does LucasMacs no longer exist, then? (Ignoring the fact that every Mojo-hosted site is dead right now. :))

The music thing sounds like a good idea. I think someone (Twilo?) was planning to create such a site at some stage - dedicated to fan art and fanfic as well - but that idea obviously fell by the wayside. I'd still like to see it though, particularly if it had all sorts of mega-interactive ratings and reviews and all sorts. And a way of making fun of really bad fanfic.

Oh, and some kind of Monkey Island related gaming clan. That'd be really good, man.

Skinkie
06-20-2003, 01:58 AM
I'd like to see The Scumm Bar 2: Skyfox's Revenge

Andi Wan
06-20-2003, 04:04 AM
I think all of these ideas would be excelent.

That merchandise site would be great, if this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101610) is anything to go by. I think it would be cool.

It could also be a like an online fan marketplace, where fans could sell stuff they don't want (yeah, like we have stuff we don't want) to other fans.

QueZtone already has one of sorts (http://www.xs4all.nl/~loom/lecness/), but it would be cool to expand it!

Oystein
06-20-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by Huz
Oh, and some kind of Monkey Island related gaming clan. That'd be really good, man.

We tried that a couple of years ago. But alas, The Monkey Island Counter-Strike Clan (MICSC) never achieved the status that MIQC had. I remember one clan match we had. Our clan (around 10-15 guys) against some other clan (only 2 guys!). It was kinda pathetic. But it can't hurt to try again with another game. This game here (http://www.burningsea.com/) has a lot of potential.

scabb
06-20-2003, 12:00 PM
Yeah, Oystein, then they attempted "The Monkey Island Clan Page" which was an abysmal, constantly "coming soon" style flop.

I want to see a Mojo Store, where they import crap for Europeans and maybe sell their own produce. ;-

QueZTone
06-20-2003, 03:18 PM
what scabb said

mojo store with lec products as well as mojo stuff

elTee
06-20-2003, 04:45 PM
Yeah MOJO-Imports - we buy em they ship em :D

Alien426
06-21-2003, 11:18 AM
Nice! Do you think we should take this merchandise site idea (for starters) into our hands and develop something?

- games
+- boxes / versions
+- secondary merchandise
+- promotional material
- misc. merchandise

Who's with me?

Marek
06-21-2003, 04:49 PM
Maybe I should reopen my Cavedog Adventure Central website which I'm sure everyone remembers.

elTee
06-21-2003, 06:35 PM
I remember the name.. I'd have to see it to say if I'd visited though.

Anyway, I can't make a merchandising website, I have my hands full with LucasTones. I uploaded all my photo's here (http://www.geocities.com/adventuregamescollection) so whoever does make the site is more than welcome to use the pics.

Aranolorion
06-21-2003, 07:50 PM
yep, after all the schwarz is merchandising...or something.

could be a way to raise income (boohiss! - Forum) to support mojo's frequent vacations off server :P.

Andi Wan
06-22-2003, 02:29 AM
Mojo Imports would be so great.

Its so annoying that people outside the US can't buy clothing stuff and other fun things from the LucasArts store.

I'm sure that they could enter into some kind of distribution agreement with LucasArts. I'm sure that their agreements with overseas distributors wouldn't cover clothing etc.

Mixnmojo t-shirts would be cool as well.

Purple shirt, with "mojo" emblazened on the chest.

Awesome!

elTee
06-22-2003, 04:52 PM
Mixnmojo have a shop. I don't know if it still sells, but its on cafepress.

Andi Wan
06-23-2003, 12:44 PM
But I'm talking purple shirts, not metallic mugs (http://www.cafeshops.com/mixnmojo1.2532494) or cooking with spaff aprons (http://www.cafeshops.com/mixnmojo1.2532995) dammit!!!!!

Ben Whatsisname
06-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Well, looking at the calls for a store, lec-super-site, etc, one thought comes to mind... A mall. LOL

Seriously, though, there are hosted sites on mojo that handle the "super site" portion.

As far as the store, there's a concept that might work.
One section for mojo goodies, one for ebay-ish fan collectables sales, and one for "slingshot" sales across the pond.

I was going to suggest a search engine which could search all the hosted sites, so if someone wanted to find, say, references to Stan, they could do a search from mojo and get hits on the hosted sites - We could call it mixngoogle LOL

scabb
06-28-2003, 10:43 AM
A search engine is a good idea actually.

Also, It'd be nice to have a "Releases" page, which tells you when LucasArts games are being released and for what platform in what country etc.

jannar85
06-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by QueZTone
hmmm Yes i'd like to see a site that gives a "Make your own adventure game" tool which DOESNT require you to know how to actually program :(
www.agsforums.com ¬¬

Jake
06-29-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Marek
Maybe I should reopen my Cavedog Adventure Central website which I'm sure everyone remembers.

HEE! I remember that site. Think I might have visited it once.

As for both the "Mojo import store" and "Mojo quality merchandise store" both have been thought of and very much talked about, but we're not sure if we can do either of them. As for running an import store, I don't know if we legally can. On top of that, LEC might already be doing an international store which is nice. Maybe some sort of classifieds page for collectors to trade things would be a decent addition to the site.

As for doing some sort of merchandise, I'd love to. I don't know if there's any market for stuff that says "Mixnmojo" on it and has the voodoo doll or something, but it's been forever tempting to try and talk LucasArts into letting us make some retro logo shirts with the Monkey 1 and 2 logos, Grim logos (and sproutella symbol, etc), Corley Motors symbol, etc to make shirts out of. I don't think they'd go for it though, even if we did end up sending them (almost) all of the profits.

And, from the beginning of this thread, It'd be damn cool if someone put together a music-centered site. The old off-site MIAC was starting to do a music section before they exploded, and I was really looking forward to it. I know sites like iMuse island and Scumm Bar have fan music sections, but without the comments section and descriptions and stuff it's nowhere near as fun and community-building-friendly as the MIAC format was.

Marek
06-29-2003, 06:47 PM
The network needs a Psychonauts fan page. And I'm not talking about that scary church thing. A proper one. (Sorry Kingzjester.) Do you guys all remember that excellent Grim Fandango page around the time it was released? The one Tim mentioned in his developer diary at the time? Well, something like that needs to be done for Psychonauts soon. *looks at Jake*

bgbennyboy
06-29-2003, 08:12 PM
Nice one Jake. I repeat, someone who isnt me make that music site right now.

Jake
06-29-2003, 08:26 PM
Marek you seem the perfect person to open an Psychonauts page.

Ben Whatsisname
06-29-2003, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by bgbennyboy
Nice one Jake. I repeat, someone who isnt me make that music site right now.

I'm currently wearing my ACTION PANTS! My pants are up to the challenge. I'll do the music site if nobody else wants to - I have Mindbent & Kickstand on mojo though and would hate to seem like I'm doing a monopoly.

Ben Whatsisname
07-01-2003, 12:43 AM
I have a site name and design done for the lec music site...only a matter of time before it's time to take the lead and launch. :)

if you're wanting to do the site instead, speak now or forever hold your peace.

JBRAA
07-01-2003, 09:25 PM
uhm, you're unhappy with my art n music site. huh. good thing i like it my self atleast. i could insert php-scrips for comments if people would appriciate that. havent sucessfully installed a php-browsing-system though. meh.

scabb
07-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Mojo has around four or five music sites ¬

I think the general idea is to have a decent database of every single piece of lucasarts (videogame) music ever, nicely divided into sections, with the options to add comments and upload your work etc etc.

JBRAA
07-01-2003, 09:36 PM
also:
The Scumm Bar 2

MrManager
07-01-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Ben Whatsisname
I'm currently wearing my ACTION PANTS! My pants are up to the challenge. I'll do the music site if nobody else wants to - I have Mindbent & Kickstand on mojo though and would hate to seem like I'm doing a monopoly.

Seeing that you have two sites, and one of them being high maintenance over the next year or so with FT2, it might be better to have somebody else do it. I think a site like this would require a lot of work and maintenance seeing that there are a lot of interest in it. We were talking about it on our super-sikrit IRC channel and we volunteered scabb for no good reason at all. He would also get help from various people getting it up and running. Just my 5 cents.

bgbennyboy
07-01-2003, 09:59 PM
Thats true, it would require a lot of time and work to be half-decent. It might be difficult for Ben to spare the time with his other sites. Scabb has plenty time on his hands would do a damm good job and of course we can all help him as he needs it since this really is a community-based site. I too nominate Scabbo, assuming he is willing of course.

Gabez
07-01-2003, 10:04 PM
Here's an idea: a #monkey-island site! Or some kind of MonkeyMugs thing, that sounds good.

scabb
07-01-2003, 10:34 PM
I hate all ¬

I mean, yes, I do have too much spare time and I'd be willing to stick some effort into organising benny's extensive and legally sound mp3 collection, I guess.

And yes, bring back the #m-i site

Ben Whatsisname
07-01-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by scabb
I hate all ¬

I mean, yes, I do have too much spare time and I'd be willing to stick some effort into organising benny's extensive and legally sound mp3 collection, I guess.

I'm happy you want to do it - take a look at http://www.totallyunwired.net/1138/1138.html and tell me if you like it and/or want to use the work I did to speed the site along. It's got no real code in it yet, and I'm not trying to get 15 more minutes of fame, just don't really enjoy the thought of the work going unused. :)

Gabez
07-02-2003, 01:54 AM
Ooh-aah, that's nice Ben.

I don't understand the title though. :)

Andi Wan
07-02-2003, 01:58 AM
1138 is the Lucasfilm reference, bpm= beats per minute, the music reference.

Also, dancing tentacles are funny.

Alien426
07-02-2003, 04:35 AM
Originally posted by bgbennyboy
...and of course we can all help him as he needs it since this really is a community-based site.
I like that idea. How about setting up a kind of brainstorming thread (database/pages design, art) or arrange a time/place for a chat.

Ben, the title and its graphic are coool!

Ben Whatsisname
07-02-2003, 05:24 AM
Originally posted by Carl Shutt
I'd like a site where I could get my twelve-part Zak McCracken fanfic hosted.

Mojo says they are expecting 100% data restoration, which means Mindbent should be safe - if so, I will add the fanfic to it (still have the originals floating around, I think - post me an url to them just in case please). If Mindbent is dead, I shall search my thousands of backup cd's, revive it (I know I saved a copy of the completed site....somewhere) and add your fanfic. Either way, I'd be happy to host it on mojo's Zak McKracken fansite.

bgbennyboy
07-02-2003, 11:20 AM
This (http://www.gorman.btinternet.co.uk/mojomusic.txt) was my brainstorm from last night.

battlebison
07-03-2003, 04:58 PM
I'm kinda new here, but I've been looking for a site where i can get music for Lucasgames for a while and you guys are my new heroes, but after reading Bigbenny's brainstorm list I think that if you had a user upload service people might abuse it or cause problems in the database. You should compile a list of the tracks you need and have people send them to you so you could upload them. I know it would be extra work on your part, but it would mean that the site would be easier to find your way around and find what you need, or be able to see a list of what you don't have so that people wouldn't needlessly go on a wild-goose chase. Otherwise, the layout you've come up with is amazing and I'm really looking forward to the site. I'm not sure how I would be able to contribute though... :(

bgbennyboy
07-03-2003, 05:52 PM
Ah but the upload system as I imagine it wouldn't automatically go straight into the database. Staff would have to check it first, but once they have they wouldn't need to do anything, just ok it and then it goes in.

battlebison
07-03-2003, 06:50 PM
Ahh, that would fix it. But I think it would still be a good idea to have a list of all the tracks you need and people would also be able to upload to that list even if they didn't have the track themselves. Just a thought, and thanks for the clarification. YOu guys should be immortalized.

MrManager
07-03-2003, 06:54 PM
I think benny has every piece of fanmusic ever recorded and then some.

battlebison
07-03-2003, 06:58 PM
:D Hehe, well in that case you're pretty much set to go then! Looking forward to the new site!

bgbennyboy
07-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Surprisingly when you actually sit down and seperate out fan music and remixes from simple re-recordings and soundtracks theres not actually a huge amount. Should still be a decent amount to start with though, i'll post a list of what I have when I stop being lazy.

Samnmax221
07-05-2003, 10:00 PM
I would like if we could have mojo gear like lucasarts has lucas gear and could some one talk to merfatcat about unbanning me i only used this screen name to write this and i plan to write a huge apology if any body can get merfatcat to negotaite with me pls. anyone.

Oh and I wanna declare a truce with Setion. Lets go bug Zhandu instead! Eh!

Pls pls pls, prtty pls unbann me

scabb
07-05-2003, 10:25 PM
If you want to be unbanned, then please use the preferred form of begging by following these simple guidelines:

a) Try doing it in the forum you were actually banned in!

b) Try using private messages rather than attempting to post something relevant which suddenly manifests itself as a rambled plea halfway through the first sentence.

c) Start a petition

d) Send a full report detailing the reasons why you were banned, three things you have learned since the incident and a full apology to the mod who banned you. Sending it several times will help.

This matter will then be put in front of the council, with an admin residing over the session as High Judge. You will be allowed to nominate someone as your forum legal representative, or if you feel you know enough about forum law then you can represent yourself. A panel of estabilished members from different forums will then look over the finer details of your case, and a decision on whether or not you shall remain banned will be made within the following 24 hours.

I highly recommend the latter.

Samnmax221
07-05-2003, 11:11 PM
Well yah but i thought i would include it here but i'll use pms

bgbennyboy
07-06-2003, 12:54 PM
Some members will be chosen at random to sit in the family gallery and weep too.

Samnmax221
07-06-2003, 01:25 PM
I want a Mojo voodoo doll so I can stick pin's in it when the site go's down every year.

elTee
07-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Would that help? Why don't you just wish for a server and lots of money instead!

By the way, I seem to be back.

Alien426
07-07-2003, 11:44 AM
brainstorm:
table layout with column types (http://pcgamescore.de/stuff/1138bpm-layout03.txt)
graphical table layout with field connections (http://pcgamescore.de/stuff/TableLayout02x.jpg)

Samnmax221
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
My own idea:

Classic radio show versions of the games I'm working on the Hit the road one now. Only would work for talkie games though. I just add narration and rip put the music and voices + SFX and you have a narrated dramatized lucas arts radio program.

Ben Whatsisname
07-07-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Alien426
brainstorm:
table layout with column types (http://pcgamescore.de/stuff/1138bpm-layout03.txt)
graphical table layout with field connections (http://pcgamescore.de/stuff/TableLayout02x.jpg)

Wow - this site is becoming a true "comminity-made" site. I am in awe...At this rate, all Scabb will have to do is press the "go" button. lol

battlebison
07-08-2003, 12:48 AM
Wow, this is all really coming together :) Is the site going to be hosted on the Mix-N-Mojo site? If it is we would have to offer goats' toenail clippings to the server gods daily to keep them satisfied. Also, just thinking about the music aspect, is there a working mirror for SCUMM Revisited? I haven't been able to find one.

bgbennyboy
07-08-2003, 09:17 AM
I've temporarily mirrored (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102091) it.

Kingzjester
07-08-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by Marek
The network needs a Psychonauts fan page. And I'm not talking about that scary church thing. A proper one. (Sorry Kingzjester.) Do you guys all remember that excellent Grim Fandango page around the time it was released? The one Tim mentioned in his developer diary at the time? Well, something like that needs to be done for Psychonauts soon. *looks at Jake* Hey, that's not fair! What the HELL is wrong with my site? Why doesn't it DESERVE to be called a PROPER fan page, spaz?!

Metallus' little thing has been "in the making" ever since I opened the damn Church and it still ain't seeing the light of day.

Besides, we don't know squat about Psychonauts YET. All that we DO know is contained in the SCREENSHOT GALLERY of the CHURCH. What the **** is wrong with that?!

*Growls and turns into the Hulk*

battlebison
07-12-2003, 04:22 PM
King, your site is really cool... and uh.... fanatical but there's not too much information about the actual game on it, it's mostly about how Tim is God. I know there isn't too much info out there, but I think it would be nice to have a site where there was some real information about Psychonauts and less about Tim.

Kingzjester
07-12-2003, 04:46 PM
The screenshot gallery has very little to do with the fanaticism of the rest of the site.

Marek has seen the game in action twice (if I am not mistaken) and he can pretend that there is more information about the thing out there - there isn't. It is nice to complain and all, I like to do it as much as he, but his categorization of the Church as "NOT A PROPER SITE" pisses me off. It is completely unwarranted. Marek, if you have something to add to what I have, please don't be a stranger.

Besides, it is not as if I didn't ask. Microsoft people are "reluctant' to give out interviews and info and such at this time as the game has been pushed so far into the future.

Ben Whatsisname
07-12-2003, 04:58 PM
King, bison, you both make valid points.

King, you're right - Church of Tim *IS* a proper site - for TIM. It's not the Church of Psychonauts, which is what Bison was implying. He would have said the same thing if I posted Psychonauts screeenshots on Kickstand, even if I had every screenshot available in the world. I think it's great that you have all the screenshots though, keep it up - you almost have me talked into an Xbox. lol

Bison, you're right - Church of Tim is not a Psychonauts-dedicated fansite, but please...In the future, watch how you word stuff. I was as taken aback as King when I read your post - the wording makes it sound like you're calling his site a joke and looking for a serious site to carry screenshots/news. Beleive it or not, King has put a LOT of work into the Church and his site is no less "proper" than cnn.com.

battlebison
07-12-2003, 05:40 PM
Sorry, I didn't bother to re-read my post :o I love the site, I'm only trying to see things through others' eyes. I wasn't trying to imply it isn't a proper site, I'd just like to see more on Psychonauts. I already own an XBox and will buy it when it comes out, but screenshots can only do so much.