PDA

View Full Version : Minor Violence...


legameboy
07-04-2003, 02:16 AM
So, I was wondering what you think about the "restricting violent video games to minors" deal. I think its bull... how 'bout you? ;)

coupes.
07-04-2003, 02:42 AM
I don't think violent video games have any influence whatsoever on the violent behavior some may have. However I think younger folks, as they are not allowed to see restricted movies, souldn't be allowed to play some video games, that have violent and/or sexual content. So I'm agree with the restriction of violent video games but not to minors, I thin they sould classify them more like they do with movies (ie:13+,16+,18+).

RoguePhotonic
07-04-2003, 02:49 AM
I hate the whole thing...like the movies...I still have to get others to buy my ticket for me...because I don't have an I.d....and can't get one...

Chewbacco
07-04-2003, 02:22 PM
No matter How much violence there is, I'm okay with it. The only thing that maters to me is Gore (Only in movies). I'm okay with gore in computergames.

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
07-04-2003, 02:24 PM
I like the idea. Not because it's bad for kids, but it just makes it that much better when I play adult games. Knowing that 80 percent of underage people can't touch it. Yet another thing to look forward to when you grow up into a "big boy".

ZBomber
07-04-2003, 02:26 PM
Who cares, half the time, the kids get the video game anyways. I dont mind in that much. Playing a game like GTA Vice City isn't gonna make me go hi-jack a car and run over grannies. :p

Agen
07-04-2003, 03:06 PM
People blame computer games for their children going loopy, it's a load of BS :)
Still, GTA3 has that extra little touch where you think "If i blocked that road there i could hi-jack that van" and "Hey, I'm running away by jumping over a fence - You should be able to do that in GTA3!" :D
Still, if anyone considered doing stuff they see in games then trhey shouldn't be allowed to touch 'em.

My movie rating system is different, i think that we should have 18 (simple enough) and then from 10yrs+ i think it should be up to the partens to let them see what ever movie they want. Then there's a simple U where anyone cna view it.
It's much more fair than all that crap where you gotta be 12 to see a movie with something in it that you see everyday in programmes (eg. spiderman)

Sam Fisher
07-04-2003, 10:16 PM
I dunno what's everyones problem about "video games effecting(sp?) kids lives" thing.. for all of the games I've played, not one of them have altered the way I look upon life. (I can barely kill a mouse with a pellet(sp?) gun for crying out loud.)

RoguePhotonic
07-04-2003, 10:46 PM
It really is bull**** with the movies....I know kids that can't see R movies but MANY R movies are the best when you are a kid...

Semicolon
07-05-2003, 08:09 AM
Wha? There's no viloence in games at all..What you talking about?

BongoBob
07-05-2003, 09:06 AM
Who cares, half the time, the kids get the video game anyways. I dont mind in that much. Playing a game like GTA Vice City isn't gonna make me go hi-jack a car and run over grannies. :p

Exactly. I play perfect dark,Halo, and conkers bad fur day, but it hasn't effected me at all. For christs sake, I almost cried when my mom poisonded the ant hill at our house. C'mon, now.

Loki GM
07-05-2003, 03:56 PM
/\-is a crybaby :D :p :D

I dont know about you guys but I cant remember the last time a major video game system released a game where you go around your school killing everone then shooting yourself but thats just what I remember

kids are just crazy and thats all their is to it its not the games or the movies that do it its the fact that their crazy

ZBomber
07-05-2003, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Loki GM
/\-is a crybaby :D :p :D

I dont know about you guys but I cant remember the last time a major video game system released a game where you go around your school killing everone then shooting yourself but thats just what I remember

kids are just crazy and thats all their is to it its not the games or the movies that do it its the fact that their crazy

Exactly. There were murders on streets before shooting video games were made.

The Cheat
07-05-2003, 05:57 PM
its complete bull, i think they will blame anything for kids having school shootings, me? i blame to news so i dont think minors should be allowed to watch that anymore, i mean all those violence images that i see wow worst then those video games

Semicolon
07-05-2003, 06:26 PM
I'm a crybaby??

ZBomber
07-05-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Semicolon
I'm a crybaby??

*shrugs*

When you post, if you look at the previous post preview thing, it says BongoBob posted before you.... I'm confused.... :(

Semicolon
07-05-2003, 06:56 PM
I'm confused too...

El Sitherino
07-05-2003, 07:11 PM
see they are slowly taking away everything from us. soon they will controll us completely.:(

Rogue15
07-05-2003, 08:50 PM
who cares? i have to agree tho....after playing many violent games it could change your thought patterns....so you're thinking about killing everyone ahead of you in line and crap like that. postal 2 doesn't help any...

Redwing
07-05-2003, 08:54 PM
I prefer it if a game has options to turn up or down (or turn off) violence, but I don't think they should be restricted.

El Sitherino
07-05-2003, 08:57 PM
it doesn't change my thoughts i've always been weird. but i'm not weak minded enough to be influenced by a game.

Loki GM
07-05-2003, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Semicolon
I'm a crybaby??

no but I guess bongobob deleted his post about the anthill

Wanderer
07-05-2003, 09:05 PM
Well, if most of you say that computergames have no effect at all at kids I must say that you wrong. There were several crimes committed by young people who even said that they did what they did because of a computergame.
Just watch the news and read the papers...

Of course...most people play a game, find it nice, turn off the PC and then do something else. They would never go mad because of a game. I would say that most of us here can handle games...and that we don't turn into psychos after playing a game with violence in it.

But don't forget. There are kiddies out there with a labile mind...think of littleton...think of other news you got to know and take this serious.

Loki GM
07-05-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Wanderer
Well, if most of you say that computergames have no effect at all at kids I must say that you wrong. There were several crimes committed by young people who even said that they did what they did because of a computergame.
Just watch the news and read the papers...

Of course...most people play a game, find it nice, turn off the PC and then do something else. They would never go mad because of a game. I would say that most of us here can handle games...and that we don't turn into psychos after playing a game with violence in it.

But don't forget. There are kiddies out there with a labile mind...think of littleton...think of other news you got to know and take this serious.

heres a news flash for you wanderer people lie kids blame what they do on video games because they think that they can get off the hook for it

I do think that kids under 13 or grade 8 should be restricted to what video games that they can buy because their still in their primary learning stage but if a 17 year old boys says that he did what he did because he saw it on a video game then I dont beleive him

ET Warrior
07-05-2003, 11:21 PM
Violence has been around since the beginning of man. It's in our genes, video games do not make kids violent.

Now it might give them IDEAS on how to express their violent urges, but it didn't make them do it.

These kids could also just as easily get their inspiration from watching the daily news, so Video games should NOT be blamed.

<JOTD>Jedi Hunter
07-05-2003, 11:28 PM
Rules have been around since the dawn of time. Be it the rules of physics, law, etc. It has always existed. And the strong make these rules to keep the weak in place. In this case, the weak minded. People can be affected by games. But these people are extremely stupid. Never the less, the government doesn't see that you're smart and little bobby down the street with his dads hand gun isn't. They just see children, doing violent things. And they want to protect them. So try not to trash the government too much on this issue. They're just trying to protect you. (Myself, I'm not a child. So my opinions differ greatly from those of you who are still children. If you don't even considor what I've said to be in truth, then perhaps you will when you grow up.)

Semicolon
07-06-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Loki GM
no but I guess bongobob deleted his post about the anthill

Oh ok...

El Sitherino
07-06-2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Wanderer
Well, if most of you say that computergames have no effect at all at kids I must say that you wrong. There were several crimes committed by young people who even said that they did what they did because of a computergame.
Just watch the news and read the papers...

Of course...most people play a game, find it nice, turn off the PC and then do something else. They would never go mad because of a game. I would say that most of us here can handle games...and that we don't turn into psychos after playing a game with violence in it.

But don't forget. There are kiddies out there with a labile mind...think of littleton...think of other news you got to know and take this serious. dude blaming it on games is just an excuse just like i could kill someone and blame it on you for making me mad.(not that you did it's just an example) it's called shifting blame and not accepting responsiblity.

ET Warrior
07-07-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by <JOTD>Jedi Hunter
Rules have been around since the dawn of time. Be it the rules of physics, law, etc. It has always existed. And the strong make these rules to keep the weak in place. In this case, the weak minded. People can be affected by games. But these people are extremely stupid. Never the less, the government doesn't see that you're smart and little bobby down the street with his dads hand gun isn't. They just see children, doing violent things. And they want to protect them. So try not to trash the government too much on this issue. They're just trying to protect you. (Myself, I'm not a child. So my opinions differ greatly from those of you who are still children. If you don't even considor what I've said to be in truth, then perhaps you will when you grow up.)

But the government regulating violent video games isn't going to protect me any more than if they don't. Because little Bobby down the stree with his dads handgun is going to be stupid and guillible without the video games, and if he has access to any sort of news media he'll get as much inspiration from THAT as any video game.

I agree that games with an M rating should not be sold to anyone under the age of 13. But once you hit the teenage years I think that you're developed enough that you can distinguish between what is real and what is a video game. and if you CAN'T, then you won't be able to when you're 18 either.