PDA

View Full Version : Galaxies Space Exspansion

waffleman
07-09-2003, 02:06 AM
So has thier ever in the history of video games been a RPG flyer game? Im just so darn interested in how they are gonna pull the new expansion off. It sounds ingenious but we all know how new things tend to go. What all think

Taos
07-09-2003, 02:08 AM
I was kind of thinking along those same lines.....I was just sitting and eating dinner thinking, how are the controls going to work etc. My feeling is, they've been testing it for quite a while.....so I'm sure they will have something that will be good [in theory anyways].

Cannibal_Jawa
07-09-2003, 03:17 PM
I think its probably going to be like a flight sim built into an rpg...or something like that.:jawa Ootini!

bmuzyka
07-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Hey,
Afterall, who really thought a game like Battlefield 1942 would ever be possible? Flight Sim/Tank Sim AND first person shooter? MY god. :)

Mujahid
07-09-2003, 03:33 PM
I suspect it will be something akin to "Tribes" or "Tribes2". In that game you had numerous flying vehicles that you could command. When you entered the vehicle, your view shifted to reflect your particular position in the ship. Then your movement keys changed to effect the vehicle, instead of your avatar.

Also in that game, multiple people could use the same vehicle, with one driver and several passengers.

The only difference is that Tribes had a limit on the number of people who could connect.

zarak da zabrak
07-09-2003, 03:38 PM
I'd be happy if they had the flight controls like the game x wing or tie fighter, but updated obviously. or you could set the coords and let autopilot take control in hyperspace, while you're free to roam around the cabin and interact with any passengers, remember "this ain't like dusting crops...boy"

Mujahid
07-09-2003, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by zarak da zabrak
I'd be happy if they had the flight controls like the game x wing or tie fighter, but updated obviously. or you could set the coords and let autopilot take control in hyperspace, while you're free to roam around the cabin and interact with any passengers, remember "this ain't like dusting crops...boy"

That's what I'm hoping for too. I'd love to be able to walk around an actual spacecraft in-game.

NeonVampyre
07-09-2003, 05:13 PM
Can you imagine the scope of adding space travel? :D

Just imagine tracking your prey through space as a Bounty Hunter.... I can't wait! :fett:

r0bb
07-09-2003, 05:54 PM
from what ive seen on the video at on of the e3s it looks like it will be roque sqadronish very simple and arcady

NeonVampyre
07-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Hmm... I suppose that they'll want to make the space expansion quite easy to get into... if the controls were like X-Wing/Tie-Fighter, it would be more difficult to get used to the controls, although I would personally like the controls to be like X-Wing! :)

Mujahid
07-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by r0bb
from what ive seen on the video at on of the e3s it looks like it will be roque sqadronish very simple and arcady

Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of.

NeonVampyre
07-09-2003, 07:03 PM
Me too... :(

Dagobahn Eagle
07-09-2003, 09:53 PM
My dream would be something as elaborate as X-Wing: Alliance.

My woe is that they might make it as simple as turn-based battle like Final Fantasy battles..

-XW1 fires at TI1 and misses.
-XW2 fires at TI1 and does 39 points of damage.
-TI1 destroyed.
-TI2 fires at XW1......

You get my point.

Something really close to the XWA engine would be my dream.

IMO, that sounds a bit too elaborate, so don't get your hopes up. However, the principle of ganging up with a couple of friends, conceal blasters in your suit pockets, and hijack a shuttle piloted by a PC that was supposed to take you to another planet for some credits is appealing indeed. Free shuttle:D

But again, don't get your hopes up.

waffleman
07-10-2003, 03:44 AM
How about they leave the entire asspect of RPGishness out of the whole thing! Why? Just leave it out, you either are a good pilot or you arnt, space combat was not meant to be RPG styled the more i think about it
:biggs: :(

Ajo79
07-10-2003, 08:47 AM
I realy hope they make Space Expansion so combat is like in X-Wing vs TIE Figther... ie using keyboard +joystick/mouse. Quick and dirty. Pretty easy stuff once you get a hang of it.

Also I hope they make it so you can occupy various gunpositions, tailgunner, bellygunner etc. And that you can walk around inside the bigger ships.

Oh yeah, boarding parties :cool: That would be awesome.

RJR99SS
07-10-2003, 09:12 AM
i hope they make an x-wing alliance, x-wing vs tie fighter kind of system. Those games were amazing in my opinion. Of course the current trend for space flight in star wars games is more of a mindless shooter type thing.

I dont even know if i'll stick around for the expansion, but i hope it isnt anything like the current battle system as i'm not terrible impressed by that. But dosnt it bother anyone else that they're going to sell you this expansion....when in all rights it should be there now. I mean... "STAR" wars....you know? ok nevermind...

NeonVampyre
07-10-2003, 10:48 AM
RJR99SS - Maybe it should be in now, but it isn't. No amount of complaining is going to make it suddenly 'appear'.

Anyway, even something as simple as Freelancer could work... you know, using a keyboard and mouse?

Not sure if having to swap between joystick and keyboard all the time would be practical you see...

:D

Ajo79
07-10-2003, 12:25 PM
Yeah, the Freelancer controls were very easy and pretty good. But its hard to beat a joystick... in feeling.

Hmm I wonder if in the future combat pilots will use mouses in their fighter planes to control them? I think hardly cause half the time you would be outside the mouse carpet.. and thats not good :D

NeonVampyre
07-10-2003, 02:29 PM
I know what you mean Ajo... the joystick is INFINITELY better than the mouse/keyboard combo..

Just think... yet another reason for me having this force feedback stick! :D

Jan Gaarni
07-10-2003, 03:27 PM
Since the SE is in development, and this topic is about it, I think it fits better in here, agreed? :)

*Yoink*

Kwok69
07-16-2003, 08:21 PM
you gotta remember, SWG is Lucas Arts attempt to reach a wider audience and to cash in on the interest generated by its huge fanbase. The space expansion will contain elements of all that move around the ship stuff and use different crew slots but will vary from type of ship and its use. The key to its success will be the ease of use of not only the ships but the new planets, creatures and skills released with it.

DuncanIdahoTPF
08-02-2003, 08:06 AM
Think about it this way... What if they do a similar sort of thing with this as they did with the Force Sensitive system? I mean, what if its very hard / expensive to buy / fly a spacecraft? That way not everyone is a pilot. I hope they make it heavily reliable on the joystick... I have one, and I really would like to be a pilot, so Im set. =O)

Azuule
08-05-2003, 03:40 PM
Man, i guess i'm thinking to small. i was just hoping to buy a small shuttle so i can bee-bop about with my guild and mayby haul some stuff to make a few bucks, oh well, we will all have to wait to see what Lucas and SOE come up with on this one :D

Az

pac-man21
08-06-2003, 03:33 AM
ok so this is what i am thinking.if they are taking to time to make a expansion pak instad of putting it in the game there better be alot of good stuff in it.I also have a qustion. say if you dont get the expansion but your friend does will i be able to ride in his ship.ok last thing, if in the game now you become a reble piloit when the expansion comes out will you be able to fly mission will them without buying a ship.

DarkLordEclipse
08-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Earth and Beyond is an amazing RPG FLYER.

It is really fun and addicting.

You should play it.

ltzing
08-11-2003, 10:44 PM
On the subject of buying the expansion, I was wondering what type of game this was going to be? will it be one that for every major added thing we will have to cough up money for an expansion, or will it be more like World War II Online (I play this game don't make fun of them lol) where you constantly get updates that not only FIX what the Devs promised, but keep continually upgrading the game. I hope it will be the 2nd option....

Jan Gaarni
08-12-2003, 07:25 AM
No, sorry, you will have to buy it.
If it's as expensive as the initial release remains to see, but you will have to buy it.

This is a major upgrade to the game.

Not only will it add hundreds, perhaps thousands of sq.km of space (as in no vacuum space ;) ) to the game, it will include spaceships, new professions, new planets, possibly expansion of current planets playing area, new playable species perhaps, etc....

Basicaly a whole new game in the game. :)

DarkLordEclipse
08-12-2003, 02:48 PM
This expansion will give a lot to the SWG game.

The ability to create your own ship will be sweet.

It will further the ability of your chracter as well. With the Master Space Ship Crafter as a skill. My goal will be to attain this skill right away. I hope i can create a sweet lookin B-Wing ( My favorite ship in star wars).

Thanks.

JOIN THE CORELLIAN ALLIANCE NOW !!!!

okeci
08-12-2003, 04:36 PM
hmm B-Wing or Tie-Advanced...... or Tie-Defender......hmm choices choices

will there be/are there AT-ATs or At-Sts could you imagine the sheer destruction you could inflict in a battle w/ one of those? missions would be a breeze w/ one! my army!
:atat: :atat: :atat: :atat: :atat: :atat: :atat: :atat: :atat:

DarkLordEclipse
08-12-2003, 04:58 PM
That would be sweet to have AT-AT's and AT-ST's

It would make mission's easy.

JOIN THE CORELLIAN ALLIANCE NOW!!!!!

Seinnhai
09-06-2003, 02:06 PM
I'd be guessing it'd be something closer to Freelancer with TIE's and X-Wings. That's not what I'm concerned with, though. I want to know about the skills. I'm trying to figure out how they are going to work the the Pilot skill. Is Spacecraft repair going to be part of the Pilot line or one of the engineer lines? Also, are we going to have the full range of ships to choose from. I may be mistaken because I'm a little off in my geekdom <please no beatings> but in the time frame we're covered in, I don't think there were A-Wings or B-Wings, and I'm pretty sure there weren't Interceptors.
And then theres the question of all the Old School ships, like Naboo Fighters and those silly things the Jedi flew around in. And what about Droids. There's a lot of questions about the expansion and not many teasers.

GIVE US TEASERS!!!

Jan Gaarni
09-07-2003, 08:56 AM
A-Wings and B-Wings were not developed yet, no.
Neither was the TIE Advanced or the TIE Defender.

TIE Advanced has come as far as being made some prototypes of it as of the time of ANH, but it got put on the side line in favour of the development of the TIE Interceptor instead. Better manouverability, engines, and weapons system than the TIE Fighter, but still weak armored, and still no shield. So to compensate the Empire developed the Lancer Frigate.
Some TIE Advanced was made, but not enough to make a difference. Then there is the treason by Grand Admiral Zaarin (may be self proclaimed rank) that hampered the productionlines for the TIE Advanced aswell.

The TIE Defender came out after the Empire finally conceeded that they had to have a fighter that could hold it's own.
But, too little too late.

Personally I would have put my money on the TIE Advanced from the beginning, but this is the Empire we are talking about: They love big things, so they sacrificy the fighters in order to afford them. :p

Gershin
09-08-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Mujahid
I suspect it will be something akin to "Tribes"

I hope so, I was a god in that game. People feared me to extremes, muhahahhaa.

HaPPyHaTTeR aka {SK8}Someone aka MyStERiouSHaTTeR aka Someone aka Rashgallivak aka ']['heR33Per

Each name well known...each name well feared. hehehehe

Jan Gaarni
09-08-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Gershin
I hope so, I was a god in that game. People feared me to extremes, muhahahhaa.

HaPPyHaTTeR aka {SK8}Someone aka MyStERiouSHaTTeR aka Someone aka Rashgallivak aka ']['heR33Per

Each name well known...each name well feared. hehehehe
Uhm ... who? :D :D :D

HanSoloChewie
09-08-2003, 04:44 PM
has anyone heard any rumors of new professions that will be offered?

ship crafting?
pilot?

Gershin
09-09-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Jan Gaarni
Uhm ... who? :D :D :D

Well, each name known by other great playres at least :p

On a serious note, I frequented the dueling and arena servers more than anything. I was pretty well known in CTF servers as well though.

TRIBES Demo players worshipped me...hehehe. I loved going back to play in Demo....believe it or not though...they had some good players.

Progman
09-10-2003, 03:53 AM
Man,
I just love it when people feel the need to let everyone know how good they are at something and how well they were known/feared/worshipped. Gag.

vagrantprodigy
09-11-2003, 07:42 PM
what happens if you don't buy the expansion? Will they have expansion servers, and non expansion servers? Or will you be kicked off the game if you don't get it?

Gershin
09-12-2003, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by Progman
Man,
I just love it when people feel the need to let everyone know how good they are at something and how well they were known/feared/worshipped. Gag.

Muhahahahha, bow to me! :vader3:

ScissoredPic
09-27-2003, 07:59 AM
A little thought on space expansion. First any free expansion will not be too large or to intensive as it would possible change the minimum requirements to the software especially if it is required..my theory is a partial space expansion is on the way and that it will start out as more planet and ship locations suchas major star destroyers, mcs, a black sun ship, maybe a smuggling base on kessel....just don't get your hopes up for something too grand.

Gershin
09-29-2003, 02:17 PM
No, the space expansion won't change the original recommendations. It will have it's own set, that's why it is sold seperately.

Gith
09-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Wow wait... Jan Gaarni said that A-Wings were not developed yet? How is that possible? In X-Wing game we are able to actually fly A-Wing even before destruction of the Death Star!

Randon_Star
09-29-2003, 11:03 PM
what ships besides the correlian ships ties and xwings will there be? does anybody know?

Jan Gaarni
09-30-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Gith
Wow wait... Jan Gaarni said that A-Wings were not developed yet? How is that possible? In X-Wing game we are able to actually fly A-Wing even before destruction of the Death Star!
Hmm, yes, that is true, but we could also see Tie Interceptors before it was developed to. :)
Not to mention B-Wings if memory serves me right. :D And that one definatly was developed some time after the first Death Star was destroyed. ;)

Bottom line, it's a game, it is very far down on the priority list of getting 'facts'. :)

The Tie Interceptor can be put in, cause it was developed very shortly after the first Death Star, and I guess there's no harm in adding the A-Wing to counter it. :)
But then again, maybe they'll only put in the Tie Interceptor and not the A-Wing. That would be much more fair for the Imperials. :D

MandalorianRage
10-01-2003, 09:32 AM
Bah! The Imperials already have an advantage over the Rebels. :atat:

I was hoping I'd fly a B-Wing when space expansion came out, but that's probably out of the question :( . I'm really confused how it's all going to work... But SOE will figure something out...
I just hope that you don't need a special skill to fly a ship.

vagrantprodigy
10-01-2003, 11:25 AM
I hope they create several new professions with it, and that while it wouldn't be impossible to fly without being in one of the professions, it would make the ship go slower and maybe take damage faster.

Randon_Star
10-01-2003, 10:13 PM
they should make pilot a new basic skill that you can get for 100 credits

MandalorianRage
10-02-2003, 11:13 AM
Only problem I have with it being a skill, is that it takes up skill points. I'm running low on them, and by the time I make Master Swordsman, I will probably be all out. Now, if they were to make the Pilot Profession a skill for people who want to fly better, and do dogfights and such, go for it... All I want for the time being is the ability to fly a ship. If I begin to like it, I might give something up and take up a few pilot skills. It all depends on how they add it to the game.

GForce
10-02-2003, 09:54 PM
In the space expansion will you be able to own big starships, or will you just be able to own a little ship like an X-Wing? Also will you be able to customize your ship so you can tell the differance between your ship and someone elses?

MandalorianRage
10-02-2003, 11:12 PM
Originally posted by GForce
In the space expansion will you be able to own big starships, or will you just be able to own a little ship like an X-Wing? Also will you be able to customize your ship so you can tell the differance between your ship and someone elses?

I would hope so. My only question is, how much would ships go for... 200k? That's my main concern with them.

GForce
10-03-2003, 12:31 AM
If ships are cheaper than that everyone in the game would get one and there would be so many problems, for example space would be crowded. Also they do this so only the wealthy people can own ships.

vagrantprodigy
10-03-2003, 12:32 AM
Yeah, I think they will be prohibitively expensive. Meaning, only BHs and artisans will be able to get them.

Randon_Star
10-03-2003, 05:29 PM
they should be 500k plus in price i myself am willing to spend 2mil (lol yup bh)

Ashen
10-07-2003, 03:52 AM
the space battles CANNOT be turn based, because it is very hard to make MMORPGs turn based unlest they entered a diff fighting window different from the real world, which would take out terrain advantges and manuverability unless they made it like the book RPGs, if the ships do cost what they SHOULD, like a few hundred thou credits, there will prolly be a loan system and maybe see yer first loansharks and bankers

ogre0007
10-08-2003, 05:29 AM
i will just be happy when we get the promised creature mounts hehe.:moped

vagrantprodigy
10-08-2003, 03:01 PM
I don't give a **** about the mounts, I want my speeder.

blacksnake
10-15-2003, 06:09 AM
if they make piloting a skill, i imagine the skill tree would start off with something like "novice spacefarer" and then branch off into categories like freithter piloting, fighter piloting, starship gunnery and starship maintianance, and then they would perhaps break off to form eliete professions, like starship design for the maintainance branch and dogfighting for the fighter branch.

my guess why they would have piloting have a skill tree would be to give only the more experienced pilots access to better ships, equipment, etc. so some artisan with 12 million credits cant just go out and buy himself the best ship in the game.

As far as controls go, thats really anyones guess. i enjoyed freelancer, and i thought the controls worked beautifully, but back in the day i was a TIE Fighter junkie, and i would really like to see those controls.

thats all i've got

Terrick
10-24-2003, 10:53 PM
I hope they make the space expansion using a combat engine similar to the last of the 'X-Wing series', X-Wing Alliance. Yes, the systems mamagement and stuff can be a little overwhelming at first but it pretty simple once ya get the hang of it and much more realistic. And it had a a good amout of different player flyable craft. I am looking forward to hopefully buying a YT-2400. a YT-2000, or a PES. How many folks are gonna go lame and pick a YT-1300?

I wouldn't want a flight engine like the 'Rogue Squadron' series of games. That would suck big time.

aceracer24
10-26-2003, 08:56 AM
Didn't bother to read every post on this subject but was wondering if anyone has played Anarchy Online? The system they have for vehicles is very simple but yet effective. Once you buy the vehicle it stays with you in your inventory. You just right click it to get into the vehicle. This is not instantanious btw. It takes about 10-15 sec to get in. Once your in you can have an outside view or first person view. This could be modified to reflect ships in SWG of course. As for flying. It was not set up for combat as no vehicle in AO can go into combat but the vehicle is controlled by the mouse and keyboard keys. It's a simple yet effective way to fly around. Again, I am sure SOE can modified to allow combat. I'm guessing that SOE will impliment some sort of "zoneing" to get from planet to space. Once your in planet or in space you should be able to see anyone else in there vehicle(ship) and by clicking on them you can go into combat or attempt to board there ship. Frigates and larger ships could hold a whole boarding party and once aboard all players zone to the inside of a ship and attempt battle to take over the ship. Once one party is victorious, that party zones back into the new ship. Simple but effective. So many possabilities and I am getting my hopes up. I hope SOE does not F it up.

pelti
11-03-2003, 03:05 PM
First post here btw.

I've been feeding my appetite for the SWG EU launch by reading these forums etc.

This thread is about the space expansion and I'm totally thrilled with it. And to think, I haven't even played the game yet.

I'm hoping there will be places like Kessel or the maw installation. At the "present timeline" kessel should be an imperial penal facility.

I'm a huge consumer of SW books etc and theres a huge vault of possible places already in the expanded universe.

I can't wait till next friday, I just hope my preorder will make it...

-----

Oh. Nice job with the forums guys. Extremely interesting conversations all over the place.

Sounds Risky
11-04-2003, 12:59 AM
Maybe you can just have a droid pilot the ship for you if you don't have the necessary skills.

Sorce
11-21-2003, 10:43 PM
I don't think that they will be able to make flying twitch flying - the lag can be pretty bad as it is.

What I'm hoping for (And I really can't see the physical limitations of implementing this) is to be able to use an autopilot looking from inside the ship, to be able to engage in combat from a third person view of the ship, with a similar combat system to the one we already have BUT you should only be able to perform evasive manoevures by use of the action keys, this way being a more advanced pilot would actually mean something. Also I hope (REALLY hope) that you will be able to leave the ship on autopilot and get up, walk around and talk to other people on the ship. I also hope that ship travelling isn't instantaneous like shuttles, and you get to see the space while in space.

I will kill the developers if the space flight system is ANYTHING akin to the Rogue Squadron games...

Aodh
12-02-2003, 11:51 AM
I would love if space flight was made difficult to use. Somehting along the lines of Flight Simulator, where players would really have to learn to fly. This could open up areas for professional pilots, getting skill points for how well you do, and having the ships become more responsive the more experience you had. And it would be great if you could move around these ships too. Set the autopilot and sit back in the lounge section with the mini-bar!

GSR_Yoda
12-03-2003, 03:29 AM
it CANNOT be like XvT, it cannot depend on the persons skill and connection like that game did, but rather the fights should depend on your pilots skill. You type your coarse, auto-pilot, get attacked. type /attack /evade /rudder /torpedoe or whatever commands they make to attack and evade. If it were like XvT then the MMORPG part is lost to the 3D flight sim and thus the experts in XvT and XWA would have a huge advantage.

homsarjedi
12-03-2003, 11:23 PM
This is my first post here. :D

I like XvT it is posssible to do it that way. Like probably when you first get a ship the lasers will be weaker same with shields. Imagine how cool it will be to come from hyperspace with a large fleet:vsd: and win a battle that was hopeless. No /command it kind of gets boring doing that and the computer does the rest. It gets boring pushing buttons or typing then wait for the enemy to die. :( That is one thing that I don't want in space battles.I don't care how good the grafics are for all i care they can use XvT and change a few things.

With professions there should be ground skills and space skills to cope with skill points. A class like ship builders have 4 box things like Fighters, Bomers, weapon systems, and shielding. A ship bulider should be able to first build Tie Fighters and Z95's for fighters. Then build intercepters and X-wings.:x-wing: Then build Tie Advances and A-wings.:awing: Finally Tie defenders:tied: and some new rebel craft. Kind of like that so at first people will have weak ships and move up to powerful ships. You should be able to put what type of lasers u have like 1 normal and 1 ion or with tie defender 6 normal.

U should be able to control capital ships and give advanced commands to your fighters. It might give a profession to politian.If you are borded by an enemy u should be able to fight them, but only for capital ship or transports. I don't know how you will fight in the an a-wing. No gunnry turrents because then it will be suicide to attack a capital ship. Then it will be pointless to be a fighter.

It can work and be something everone wants. There can be more Star Wars like missions. For example you could defeat a fleet, but they crash and you have to find the survivers. That will be the best!!!