PDA

View Full Version : FS: One of the holy grails for any Lucasarts collector

dimmu--borgir
07-10-2003, 04:54 PM
Hi!

If I'm not allowed to sell things here please remove this thread and tell me where I should post it.......

Ok, I'm talking about Loom for the Fm Towns Marty.

Please take a look at the pictures. The "glasses" is not included but a similar red plastic piece is. The game is both on English and Japanese. The "story" cd is both on English and, believe it or not, Japanese. Wonders who hired the Japanese actor to do this. This is not on any other Loom on any format.

Only $200 + shipping.

http://hem.fyristorg.com/sprrr/vec/loom2.jpg
http://hem.fyristorg.com/sprrr/vec/loom.jpg

Thanks

CC

ATMachine
07-10-2003, 05:04 PM
This looks interesting . . .

Do you have any other games of this sort?

How did you come by this game?

BIG EDIT: I've decided that Loom is not the FM Towns game on which I would prefer to spend my money. Sorry. But if you have anything else . . .

QueZTone
07-10-2003, 05:16 PM
lol :) well this is indeed a holy grail but 200 is a price too steep for me :p

ATMachine
07-10-2003, 06:30 PM
Could you upload some screenshots, please?

I want to see this game in action. Even if it has to be a photo taken from a camera, I'd love to see it.

Also, could you get screenshots of the other FM Towns games you have? I particularly would like to know whether you can see 10 inventory items at once in Indy 3 like you can in Zak256.

dimmu--borgir
07-10-2003, 07:03 PM
Do you have any other games of this sort?

Yes, Indy 3 and Zak McKracken. Zak is not in my hands yet but early next week.

Also, could you get screenshots of the other FM Towns games you have? I particularly would like to know whether you can see 10 inventory items at once in Indy 3 like you can in Zak256.

I do not have a mouse or Keyboard for my Fm Towns Marty yet so it's quite unplayable. I will however have that soon so I'll give you the info you want soon.

Now, please drool and congratulate me:)

http://hem.fyristorg.com/sprrr/fm/zak.jpg
http://hem.fyristorg.com/sprrr/fm/zak2.jpg
http://hem.fyristorg.com/sprrr/fm/zak3.jpg

Nice little cards.

I have recently heard that when choosing to play in Japanese the characters would look more Anime with bigger eyes etc. Is this true?

/CC

ATMachine
07-10-2003, 07:13 PM
As far as I know, yes, but I've only heard of it in Zak McKracken.
One page that's now dead had screenshots of it, and I've seen a couple "anime-style" heads that were ripped (using Scumm16) from the character sprites in Zak256 English version. (They only appear in the resource files, not the actual gameplay, in the English version.)

By the way, Zak256 and Indy3 aren't for sale or trade also, are they?
I'd love to have either one of those, but I heard you want to donate them to the ScummVM team, which is commendable.

ATMachine
07-10-2003, 07:36 PM
I have a request for you.

I know that there are demos of the other FM Towns games on each CD. For example, Zak has Indy and Loom, Loom has Indy and Zak, Indy has Zak and Loom.

If you've got a PC, can your PC CD drive open the FM Towns CDs?

If it can, can you please zip (with WinZip or something) the resource files for the demos and place them on your webspace?

I've been looking for those demos for a while. Mojo used to host them but they're down now.

I understand completely if you can't or won't do that, but I was just hoping that you could, in which case I would be most grateful.

scabb
07-10-2003, 08:50 PM
It'd be nice hear the story of how you got your hands on these things, if you can be bothered.

You can always try an emulator (http://fmbochs.emuvibes.com/) if you can't find a keyboard for your Marty. And I believe ScummVM supports a few of the games too, definitely Zak.

dimmu--borgir
07-11-2003, 05:25 AM
As far as I know, yes, but I've only heard of it in Zak McKracken.

Cool, can't wait for my Zak to come. Must see.....

By the way, Zak256 and Indy3 aren't for sale or trade also, are they?

Nope. Loom's a spare and that's the reason it's for sale. I have however already been offered $400 for Zak.

but I heard you want to donate them to the ScummVM team, which is commendable.

Well, I just asked them if I could contribute with something. I don't think I got a serious anser to this. I can't make copies since it's illegal, which gives me the option to either lend them my originsl or sell it. If anyone has some tips about this, please let me know.

If you've got a PC, can your PC CD drive open the FM Towns CDs?

Yes, I can open them. They're quite bad though. It only shows you some screenshots with no characters on.

If it can, can you please zip (with WinZip or something)
the resource files for the demos and place them on your webspace?

Well, yes. But I don't know if I'm allowed to say that here. How illegal would it be?:)

It'd be nice hear the story of how you got your hands on these things, if you can be bothered.

I'll tell you when I got the last three ones. Monkey Island 1, 2 and Indy Jones Fate of Atlantis. Probably soon or never. They are so damned rare.....

/CC

Oystein
07-11-2003, 08:41 AM
Sorry if I'm sidetracking, but are you from Norway, dimmu? You see, your nick is the same as a Norwegian metal band. I know they have a fan base outside of Norway, but I'm still curious.

ATMachine
07-11-2003, 09:20 AM
I don't think it would be illegal to host the demos. Mixnmojo did it themselves, after all, before their server downtime, and ScummVM.org linked to Mojo's hosting of the demos, so it can't be all that bad to do so.

You must post screenshots from every game you can - both in English and Japanese. This is a great opportunity for us to become more well-informed about such mysterious games!

dimmu--borgir
07-11-2003, 04:00 PM
Sorry if I'm sidetracking, but are you from Norway, dimmu? You see, your nick is the same as a Norwegian metal band. I know they have a fan base outside of Norway, but I'm still curious.

Nope, I'm from Sweden and Dimmu Borgir is, as you all guessed, the best band ever. Very cool that they will sing in Norwegian again on two songs on their new album.

/CC

ATMachine
07-11-2003, 04:14 PM
Once again, I humbly ask you to post the demos on the web. The moderators probably won't mind; after all, the demos were freely available before mixnmojo.com died, and this is a thread about the FM Towns games.

bgbennyboy
07-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Yeah that'd be fine, Mojo used to host the demos after all.

Jake
07-11-2003, 04:56 PM
Hosting demos on Mojo or swapping them around via our forums is perfectly fine. They're demos! No swapping disk images or CDR's via this thread though please :)

Oystein
07-11-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by dimmu--borgir
Nope, I'm from Sweden and Dimmu Borgir is, as you all guessed, the best band ever. Very cool that they will sing in Norwegian again on two songs on their new album.

/CC

Well, I'm actually not a big fan of metal music. I just heard about them from a friend of mine who's really into that kind of music.

dimmu--borgir
07-11-2003, 07:38 PM
http://hem.fyristorg.com/sprrr/ZAKLOOM/

I also included a .bat file

Please tell me if I've done wrong and let me know if you want the Indy demo as well?

/CC

ATMachine
07-11-2003, 07:48 PM
I'm happy to say it works fine on ScummVM (when set as Zak256 in the setup).

I'd love to see the Indy demo as well. Thank you very much for your efforts.

By the way, do you know when you'll have a mouse and keyboard for your FM Towns system?

Until then, you could always try using the current ScummVM to run your games. (After all, if the FM Towns demos of Indy and Loom work with the Zak256 setting, might not the actual games as well? Even if they don't, it's worth a try.)

dimmu--borgir
07-12-2003, 06:08 AM
I'd love to see the Indy demo as well.

Ok, later tonight.

By the way, do you know when you'll have a mouse and keyboard for your FM Towns system?

Later next week. Actually I'm haveing the ultimate Fm towns running it on; The Car Marty Navigation unit. Just to brag.......

ATMachine
07-12-2003, 03:00 PM
Have you tried putting the game CDs in your PC and playing them as Audio CDs?

I have heard that there are several high-quality CD audio tracks on the CDs in addition to the games' resource files. If you play them with WinAmp or something similar, you might be able to hear these tracks.

Also, as I suggested earlier, you might want to play around with ScummVM, to see how well it supports the games currently (try setting the menu option to Zak256, even if it's Indy or Loom). It's just an idea, though; feel free to ignore it.

dimmu--borgir
07-12-2003, 04:03 PM
Here:

http://hem.fyristorg.com/sprrr/INDYZAK/

Have you tried putting the game CDs in your PC and playing them as Audio CDs?

Yes, nothing with Indy (in media player that is) but believe me, the Loom story CD sounds very cool in Japanese although I don't understand a single word.

I wonder who they are and if thay were "hired" by Lucas or Fujitsu....

Also, as I suggested earlier, you might want to play around with ScummVM, to see how well it supports the games currently (try setting the menu option to Zak256, even if it's Indy or Loom). It's just an idea, though; feel free to ignore it.

I have tried it but unsuccessfully. Please learn!

/CC

ATMachine
07-12-2003, 04:13 PM
Ok, I won't mention ScummVM again. However, I'm afraid that I did not know that you had already tried using it before, so I thought that you had just not tried to do so yet. I'm very sorry for the misunderstanding. Will you forgive me?

I'm surprised to learn that you can't hear any music on the FM Towns Indy CD. Using Scumm16 on the Zak/Loom demos (which are from the Indy CD, if I'm correct), I found that there is one apparent music theme in each demo. However, I can't play the tunes, because I get the message "Error playing CD track #." So there must be music buried on that CD somewhere.

I've heard some tunes from the Zak CD before, so I know there's some there as well. I bet it might play on your FM Towns, when you get it working.

dimmu--borgir
07-13-2003, 08:42 AM
I'm surprised to learn that you can't hear any music on the FM Towns Indy CD.

I was wrong. When I inserted the games (Loom and Indy) in my computer all tracks popped up in media player. Very nice ones. Full orchestra. Is Indy 3 for FM towns the only one who has these?

/CC

Drigo Zoxx
07-13-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by dimmu--borgir
I was wrong. When I inserted the games (Loom and Indy) in my computer all tracks popped up in media player. Very nice ones. Full orchestra. Is Indy 3 for FM towns the only one who has these?

/CC

Yes, it is

ATMachine
07-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Just a question.

When you inserted the Loom game CD (not the audio drama) and heard its orchestral music, was there voice included as well, like in the USA PC CD version?

dimmu--borgir
07-13-2003, 08:22 PM
When you inserted the Loom game CD (not the audio drama) and heard its orchestral music, was there voice included as well, like in the USA PC CD version?

Nope, no voices.

Is the PC CD version a talkie? (I have started to collect in the wrong order; start with the hard ones and therefore I know nothing about the others)

Now can someone please let me know all differences there are between all Marty games and the other ones.

With a little luck I will trade my Loom for a complete Indy 4 for the Fm Towns. Wish me luck ;)

/CC

ATMachine
07-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Loom PC CD does indeed have voices! Glorious voice for every character; however, in order to accomodate this, most dialogue has been cut or shortened, and music is missing that was in the disk version.

I believe that Loom CD for the FM Towns was an "intermediate step" between the floppy disk 16 color version and the VGA CD version with full voice.

Therefore, it is my belief that the FM Towns version plays something like this:
-The graphics are the floppy version's upgraded to VGA (similar to the PC CD)
-The music has the same lengthy tunes it does in the floppy version (and in better quality, too; whereas the PC CD only used short snippets of music in the cutscenes)
-Dialogue is long and talkative, like in the floppy version; character close-ups, removed in the PC CD, probably appear as well
-Cutscenes appear in original, uncut form; examples of this include the swan made out of smoke to alert Hetchel to Bobbin's imprisonment and Rusty and Fleece seeing the swans carrying the threads of the Loom at the end - both of these scenes are missing in the PC CD version

Of course, this is all merely speculation; it could be entirely different.

Also, the FM Towns Loom demo's background dimensions are the same as those in Zak256 and Indy3; does this mean that in Loom FM Towns all dialogue appears in a message box at the top of the screen like in the other two games? I don't know.

bgbennyboy
07-13-2003, 09:04 PM
You may find this (http://home1.gte.net/leiterja/lfilm.html) interesting.

I know its not what you asked but in terms of chronology as far as I know all the 256 colour reworkings (zak/loom/mi) were done for fm-towns then ported back to pc. For some reason Zak wasnt ported back.

You all think the fm-towns stuff is rare? They are as nothing compared to MI1 cdtv version. As far as I can tell (http://www.lysator.liu.se/amiga/ar/guide/ar505.guide?FEATURE2) it was made, but never released. But then again ive spoken to someone who claimed to have it. Loom cdtv certainly turned up (in German not sure about english) and I think I heard that Last Crusade turned up too although I could've dreamed that. Anyway, yes MI1 CDTV, rare as a decent LEC in-house 3d engine, if anyone ever finds it or finds more info on it I want to know.

ATMachine
07-13-2003, 09:16 PM
Other gameplay-related stuff I've noticed:

Zak:
-First off, Zak appears to have longer hair in the 256 color version, and Leslie's and Melissa's spacesuits look more bulky and thus more like spacesuits.
-All text in the EGA version is in bold; not so on FM Towns.
-You can see 4 items at once in the inventory in the EGA version; it's 10 on the FM Towns.
-As stated earlier, big eyes on characters in the Japanese-language version

Indy 3:
-You can see 6 items at once in inventory on PC. It may be 10 on the FM Towns; I'm not sure.

Monkey Island 1:
-I've seen the CD case once, and the box art is the same.
-Other than that, I know little; I'm not even sure if the FM Towns version has nine or twelve verbs.

Monkey Island 2:
-I know absolutely nothing about it on FM Towns

Indy Fate of Atlantis
-I've found screenshots at this site (http://members.jcom.home.ne.jp/rucy1/indyfateatlantis.htm) of what may be the Japanese-language version on the FM Towns CD. I'm not sure if it really is, though, and at any rate I know nothing about the English version on the CD.

elTee
07-15-2003, 11:43 PM
I want to buy anything. Please sell to me. I will buy anything to do with LucasArts and the FM-Towns, or any other freaky rare versions (except the mega-cd for Monkey Island.) e-mail me if you want to sell (daniel_wishart_lec@hotmail.com)

ATMachine
07-15-2003, 11:50 PM
I think dimmu--borgir said earlier in the thread that he'd only sell Loom for FM Towns, as it's the only one he's got a spare of. And as he also said he wants to trade away one copy of Loom, I'm not even sure if he'll still go through with a sale.

I could be wrong about that, of course; only he knows for sure.

elTee
07-16-2003, 12:04 AM
Yeah, I'm using this post to make a general appeal though. Money is no object! Unless you want me to pay you a lot.

Wizball
07-16-2003, 06:26 AM
Ok so let's hijack this thread with some statements concerning buying rate LEC stuff.

I would buy the "Grim Fandango push doll" see
Push-doll (http://www.justadventure.com/articles/10BestTchotchkes/tch8.jpg)

Email me: eurosportdl_remove_@_remove_hotmail.com

(Remove the _remove_ spam protection)

Can't let LucasTones reap all the possible benefits hehe :)

QueZTone
07-16-2003, 11:52 AM
hey thats a smart method wizzbal :)

eurosportdI@hotmail.com

i am evil

Wizball
07-16-2003, 12:28 PM
You don't know the power of the DARK side QueZTone...

You can always contact us at: lucasguild@queztone.com ;)

BooJaka
07-16-2003, 03:54 PM
I would like to purchase the Grim Fandango Soundtrack and/or the Afterlife Player's Guide.

Anyone?

Anyone at all?

ATMachine
07-16-2003, 04:07 PM
If you go to this page at the Grim Fandango Network (http://www.grimfandango.net/?section=downloads&page=music) you might not need to get the GF soundtrack anymore.

That is, if it works. But it looks like all 32 tracks are there in alphabetical order.

BooJaka
07-16-2003, 04:11 PM
I thought that site was down...

scabb
07-16-2003, 04:32 PM
Nah, It just got a fabulous makeover from Metallus. The server itself isn't down, they're just waiting for the data on the hard drive to be recovered.

As for the Grim Fandango tracks, I think they're ripped with ScummREV - I'm not sure of the differences between these versions and the ones on the soundtrack CD though.

dimmu--borgir
07-16-2003, 06:47 PM
I want to buy anything. Please sell to me. I will buy anything to do with LucasArts and the FM-Towns, or any other freaky rare versions (except the mega-cd for Monkey Island

Hmm, too late. I'm probably the happiest collector in the world right now. Believe it or not, I got in contact with another guy who had these ones. So I traded my Loom + cash for a sealed Monkey Island 2 in the big box + a loose (jewel case) Monkey Island 1. Both for Fm Towns of course. Only Indy 4 to go then :-)

But wait LucasTones, I might have a surprise for you. Please wait a couple of days......

/CC

bgbennyboy
07-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Where on earth are you finding all these? People have been looking for months.

dimmu--borgir
07-18-2003, 04:57 PM
Where on earth are you finding all these? People have been looking for months.

Months? You mean years :-) Japan of course and it was only luck that I found another collector. I now have all games but one is not ori***al. I will provide all info I can get when they are all in my hands.

/CC

elTee
07-18-2003, 09:23 PM
Not oriental??!? Oh, original.

Suprise me, yes, please! I have money money money!!

ThunderPeel2001
07-21-2003, 05:33 PM
So what are the differences in the FM Towns versions??? Wow!

~ John

QueZTone
07-22-2003, 11:32 PM
i want answers! i want sources!!

ThunderPeel2001
07-24-2003, 01:30 AM
Dagnammit! We need info!

~ John

dimmu--borgir
07-24-2003, 06:05 PM
Dagnammit! We need info!

As usual everything is delayed. I will have Zak and the rest the next week probably. I'll be back!!

/CC

elTee
07-24-2003, 10:46 PM
Words cannot describe the jealousy I feel.
*sobs*

ATMachine
08-04-2003, 12:39 PM
I just looked on the official ScummVM website, and "indy3towns" has a compatibility rating of 80% with ScummVM 0.5.0! Wow!

So, dimmu-borgir, does this mean that you might be able to take and post some screenshots of the game for us to see?

I'm still interested in knowing if Indy3 allows you to see 10 inventory items at once like Zak does.

dimmu--borgir
08-07-2003, 04:31 PM
So, dimmu-borgir, does this mean that you might be able to take and post some screenshots of the game for us to see?

Sorry for the delay. I have finally received Zak and I will try it later tonight. About Indy I'd try it the same day 0.5 came out but it didn't work properly. I'll try again.

Later.

CC

ATMachine
08-07-2003, 04:36 PM
You might need to copy the files to your hard drive or something.

Failing that, you might want to make sure that the target used is indeed "indy3towns." I'm not sure if the automatic detection of games will select that target or not on its own.

Of course, you may have tried both of these already. I'm just offering whatever advice I can think of.

guybrushthedwar
08-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Errr, can someone be kind enough to explain me in which way these versions are different from the Disk or CD ones and for what kind of machine they were developed for? THX

dimmu--borgir
08-08-2003, 04:59 PM
I have tried to play Indy 3 for the FM towns and ScummVM crashes when I am going to fly to Venice in the beginning. When I use the image I have done (Daemon tools) everything works 100% but with no CD audio. The same when I copy the files to my HD. Totally unplayable. Damn. Any tips anyone? Zak256 has the same problem but seems to be more stable. Looks so good though. But I really can't (won't) play them without CD audio. I can play them in my Marty though so there is not a big problem. Huge loading times though. But it's cool to remember how things were at those days.....

I'm still interested in knowing if Indy3 allows you to see 10 inventory items at once like Zak does.

I haven't play Indy 3 since '91 and I don't remember anything. I am soon going to play i again. I really don't want to do this until I am going to play the game for full. I have PM:ed you for a solution for this.

ThunderPeel2001
08-08-2003, 06:24 PM
Here's an idea: Send the ScummVM team the software until they figure it out and then send it back! :)

~ John

MethodGit
08-09-2003, 04:12 PM
GRAH, it pains me so much to read about someone getting their mitts on the FM-Towns titles and everyone else misses out as a result. Curse LucasArts and their big burly lawyers! ;)

They seriously should do a "Revolution"......... :D

Ramon
12-11-2003, 09:39 AM
Dimmu,

Since you have all on FM Towns now :) do you know if Monkey Island 1 and 2 have CD audio tracks like Indy 3 and Zak?

Would be cool to hear those MI2 tunes in CD audio isntead of midi.

Ramon.

Laserschwert
12-11-2003, 06:57 PM
Uhm... Ramon...

Click here (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2)

:cool: :D

Ramon
12-12-2003, 07:16 AM
Really nice site. However, I still do wonder if the FM Towns MI2 version has cd tracks :)

Thanks,
Ramon.

ThunderPeel2001
12-12-2003, 06:20 PM
That site is just the midi files saved as MP3, it's not an actual re-working of the music (sadly).

Laserschwert
12-12-2003, 06:24 PM
Calling it "just the midi files saved as MP3" kind of understates it drastically... it was a HELL of a lot of work to create MP3s out of them, because it was much more than just playing the MIDIs and recording them as MP3... but thanks for the appreciation.

If you want a rendition of the whole soundtrack in the style of MI3 an MI4 (synths mixed with real instruments)... well... as awesome as that would be, it won't happen. Ever.