PDA

View Full Version : The New Battle System Is Here!

Boba Rhett
07-17-2003, 07:10 AM
As some of you have aready noticed, the new battle system is up and running! If you haven't noticed, check out the top of the Main Page (http://www.lucasforums.com/index.php?s=) It's great fun and I highly suggest that everyone try it out.

Here's are some tips to get yourself up and battling in no time.

Firstly, take a glance at this Intro (http://www.lucasforums.com/rpgmanual.php) and follow the instructions shown there on Setting Up Your Character. You probably should also read through some more of it. ;)

You can go Here (http://www.lucasforums.com/battle.php), where you can create a new battle or join one that you already have going. From there you can also view the current battles (http://www.lucasforums.com/battle.php?action=browse).

You may put your winnings in the
bank (http://www.lucasforums.com/itemshop.php?action=bank). You'll earn 10% a day by keeping your money there.

After battles, if you have the money, make sure and Heal (http://www.lucasforums.com/heal.php) yourself.

Everyone starts out fighting with their fists. You need to save up money to buy weapons and such.

If you have any questions (I'm sure) feel free to ask. :rhett:

Young David
07-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Okay ... tip for you.

Don't challange Rhett in your first battle ... He'll win and leave you dead.

The system is not wholly clear to me yet ... We''l see.

First ... breakfast!

Redwing
07-17-2003, 08:32 AM
What the chocolate mint fudge? o.O

What's the meaning of stuff like Element Type?

Mex
07-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Young David
Okay ... tip for you.

The system is not wholly clear to me yet ... We''l see.

First ... breakfast!

Yeah right I just beat the living heck out of Rhett. :xp:

Havoc Stryphe
07-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Young David
Okay ... tip for you.

I'll drink to that! I even titled the Fight, "Friendly Sparring Between Friends" and instead of calling a draw, Rhett killed me. My first fight and he KILLED me. ;)

Talk about a sink or swim method of learning the new Battle system! :D

It looks like it could alot of fun, but I have some issues with it thus far.

For example, any good RPG always allows for a certain amout of randomness. Whether computer calculated or the roll of the dice, there's always the chance the little guy could win.

So far, the actual battle is REALLY cut and dry. For example: (These numbers are abitrary, not representative of actual numbers)

If Person A has an attack of 20 and Person B has a defense of 10, then there is a set amount of damage Person A will deal Person B if he successfully hits him. And vicec versa. Person B has an attack of 15 and Person A has a defense of 10.

In other words, Person A will always deal Person B 10 points of damage every hit and Person B will deal Person A 5 points of damage until Someone wins. There is no range of possible amounts of damage like 7-13 points. So immediately after the first round it's really apparant who will be the victor. Unless of course Person A starts missing frequently.

It's always important to have that "unknown" factor of randomness.

With ranges of damage and a little randomness, the odds will always still favor Person A in the above scenario but Person B would still have a slim chance of victory. For example:

1st round: Person A would attack and deal 7 points of damage then Person B would deal 8 points of damage

2nd round: Person A deals 10 points of damage and Person B deals 7 points of damage

3rd round: Person A deals 8 points of damage and Person B deals 8 points of damage

4th round: Person A deals 13 points of damage and Person B deals 2 points of damage.

The randomness within ranges keeps us on our toes and keeps an element of suprise. It makes battles closer and a little less unpredictable. Which in an RPG makes for a little more fun.

Also, I forsee a lot of very powerful Characters and only a few weaker characters, severly limiting who the weaker characters can successfully or at least similarly challenge, then coupled with the fact that the weaker characters are weaker more than likely because they are seldom on the forums, making it even harder to get a battle going among the weaker characters. It really caters to the forummer without a life... :p

Young David
07-17-2003, 11:39 AM
Yeah ... whatever he said. I want some luck factor!!! (like the minesweepergame i just won ... pure luck)

I'm still not sure if the battlesystem is gonna work like it is now ... need to be tweaked ... but it needs to be tested to.

So, let's rumble....

Mex
07-17-2003, 11:48 AM
Rhett used a spell... Took off over 50 damage.. I will have my revenge.

Boba Rhett
07-17-2003, 11:53 AM
Mewhohahahahaha! :D *pats his blasting spell*

Yeah, it does need more randomness. It has little right now; you can miss sometimes, but it sure would be awesome the way you described, Havoc.

And I can't help killing people. It's an addiction. :D ... but I feel bad so here, Havoc. *rhett does something*

WolfmanNCSU
07-17-2003, 11:57 AM
Interesting, I look forward to getting my ass kicked.

Young David
07-17-2003, 01:43 PM
Got my ass kicked by Dash this time ...

this game sucks.

SE_Vader_536
07-17-2003, 01:48 PM
im waitin for clefo...

until then i will have to wait...

is there anyway to make the chat part of the battle that would help...

Clefo
07-17-2003, 01:55 PM
I accepted, send your turn, I don't have all day

SE_Vader_536
07-17-2003, 02:06 PM
so much for that... i lost miserably and i cant heal... (so expensive!)

DashRendar
07-17-2003, 02:06 PM
OK this game...is...not good...first of all healing should NOT cost money, period. This game can accurately be described as a "Die, spam to heal, die, spam to heal, rinse, repeat" system, rather than a Battle System...

OK first of all you should probably make the posts worth a LOT more money, 6 posts a day is a healthy rate, I'm sure everyone agrees, but at that rate it currently would take me 6 days to heal. I don't think so...

OK here's my idea...it's actually off another game I used to play, but it'd work well here...the healing center should be free, but not constant, every hour you can use it, and the ammount healed is random, maybe a quarter, maybe a third, maybe a half, maybe two thirds, or maybe even fully healed, I think that would REALLY help, I mean they you could actually play a bunch of battles a day without worry of losing all your HP. I dunno, I think that'd work QUITE well...

OK I'm done ranting...I think...oh ya, and I fully agree with Havoc!

Ok I just noticed every one of my paragraphs starts with OK, including this one...

OK now I'm done...

Young David
07-17-2003, 02:08 PM
Yeah ... I'll have to make 13!! posts to fully heal ... I normally avarage 2.5 a day.

There should be another way of healing.

STTCT
07-17-2003, 02:24 PM
The forum is annoyingly slow now...

swphreak
07-17-2003, 02:34 PM
It's up and down in speed for me.

And I agree with Havic and Dash. I have 0 money so if the admin that kicked my ass didn't heal me, I'd be in bantha poodoo.

DashRendar
07-17-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
It's up and down in speed for me.

And I agree with Havic and Dash. I have 0 money so if the admin that kicked my ass didn't heal me, I'd be in bantha poodoo.

it's HavOc ;)

You get money posting anyway. I wish Rhett *eh hem* would heal me tho...

The official DashRendar Game Rating System's Rating Iiiiiiiis:

Thumbs Down, but could be thumbs up if improvements are made.

STTCT
07-17-2003, 02:52 PM
I'd like it more if it would refresh itself when someone made a move....when someone challenges me I'd like it to pop up like a pm. I'd like a lot of things

DashRendar
07-17-2003, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by STTCT
I'd like it more if it would refresh itself when someone made a move....when someone challenges me I'd like it to pop up like a pm. I'd like a lot of things

I agree with the challenge=PM thing, but that can easily be solved if everyone just sent PMs before they challenge, also I dunno about you but I know my browser refreshed once without me touching a thing and my partner had moved at that moment, too, but maybe it's just an automatic thing that happened to be right on at that moment...

Havoc Stryphe
07-17-2003, 03:19 PM
Thank you, Dash. It is, indeed, HavOc! ;)

Now, confirm the battle challenge I gave you, Dash. :p

I do like the idea of an auto refresh/ pop-up when a move is made. That is a good idea.

At this point, I would just like the forums to be more stable with the battle Hack running. :mad:

DashRendar
07-17-2003, 03:23 PM
gah at 60 HP against 20 HP you think I'd do anything but say draw? Now maybe if you were an admin and promised to heal me at the end...;)

Admiral
07-17-2003, 03:32 PM
I also think it needs more work. It is a little to simple, and some of the names need to be changed. Example Chain plate armor. That annoys me.

Of course if you talking about armor I would actually want to see reference to real armor (ex. Guantlets, greeves ect.)

DashRendar
07-17-2003, 03:42 PM
oh ya it should definitely be more LucasArts specific...the only Knights in Star Wars are Jedi Knights...*sigh*

STTCT
07-17-2003, 05:06 PM
the forums suck right now - ahh - its okay - growing pains

Anyways yes....less final fantasy and more LF stuff. But we can't have it all. I'd like to play someone but I'm stuck in a battle. Zbomber's comp messed up or something. Or it hung up on his end and now I can't play!

DashRendar
07-17-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by STTCT
the forums suck right now - ahh - its okay - growing pains

Anyways yes....less final fantasy and more LF stuff. But we can't have it all. I'd like to play someone but I'm stuck in a battle. Zbomber's comp messed up or something. Or it hung up on his end and now I can't play!

Heh overnight I guess SH challenged me and he didn't fill out the Password, so it made it " " I could get to the "Accept Challenge" screen but after that I got an invalid battle number/password error. It turned out that what happened was is that in the url it was battlekey=continuingon.... rather than battlekey=%20continuingon so I just threw in the space and it worked. :) Took awhile I and was despising SH for awhile but I'm over it now. ;)

pbguy1211
07-17-2003, 09:44 PM
am i high? the only link i can find is the battle thread on the main page... where are all these things like the rules and any kind of info?

DashRendar
07-17-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by pbguy1211
am i high? the only link i can find is the battle thread on the main page... where are all these things like the rules and any kind of info?

There are none, you're just gonna have to explore for a while I guess...YD and I found out a few things, but since it's valuable I'm not quite willing to openly share it yet...

TieDefender75
07-17-2003, 11:59 PM
This forum is EXTREMELY slow for me. In the gamegen.com forum, they have one of these already...so therefore, i have some experience with this. Here are a few pointers:

1) This thing induces SPAM.

2) There should be a forum for battles....(i think we have one already)

3) People will ask ALOT of question about the system, even though there is a page with insructions.....

Also, im desperate to try this out. Anyone want to battle a lv. 1?

Once i try this thing, i'll compare it to the one at Gamegen. From what it seems, the one at gamgen is better.

DashRendar
07-18-2003, 02:22 AM
it doesn't matter if there's instructions, what we need is stats, STATS STATS STATS! Tell us why we should choose which classes, what each element does, the advantages of either being light or dark...*sigh*...with every good thing it seems there must be a bad thing to cancel it out.

Silenthunter
07-18-2003, 03:32 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean TD75. These forums are going really slow for me too. Speaking of, all fight you if ya want. I haven't been able to try this out either.

pbguy1211
07-18-2003, 04:44 AM
did i read correctly that you get $2 per post? if so, when did that take effect? because as of a few minutes ago i only had $145 (which i promptly put into the bank).

Mex
07-18-2003, 09:35 AM
2 Gil a battle is really crap, they should make it 3, 4 or 5 because its going to take 5 posts just to get 10 gil..

And you need about 100 gil to get a weapon so thats about 1000 posts to get 2000 gil.. :| *Confused*

Young David
07-18-2003, 10:20 AM
Whooohooo ... I won my first battle .... YEAH!!!!

btw .. what is pp?

DashRendar
07-18-2003, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Kanjo past
2 Gil a battle is really crap, they should make it 3, 4 or 5 because its going to take 5 posts just to get 10 gil..

And you need about 100 gil to get a weapon so thats about 1000 posts to get 2000 gil.. :| *Confused*

They gave you all that money in the beginning and made healing so cheap that you can just make money on wagers :).

Jed
07-18-2003, 02:03 PM
See...

I suck at this :p

I've had two battles so far, and I've gotten my butt handed to me on a silver plate both times.

Don't buy brass knuckles! They miss every time!

TieDefender75
07-18-2003, 03:04 PM
hhhmmm....i've been posting here and i haven't been getting points. Why is this?

Are there only certain forums you can post in to get in points?

pbguy1211
07-18-2003, 03:14 PM
points, as awell as the store, are gone

TieDefender75
07-18-2003, 03:25 PM
points, as awell as the store, are gone

REALLY!? So how am i supposed to buy weapons and such for my fighter?

pbguy1211
07-18-2003, 03:36 PM
gil however, replaces points

TieDefender75
07-18-2003, 03:40 PM
gil however, replaces points

Oh....well then why am i not getting any gill when i post here?

pbguy1211
07-18-2003, 04:48 PM
can anyone please explain what "PP" and what the "AP" % are?

STTCT
07-18-2003, 08:23 PM
you don't know what PP is....did you go to kindergarton??

j.k

Don't know what that is...and probably will never find out the way this lag is going

STTCT
07-18-2003, 08:23 PM
you don't know what PP is....did you go to kindergarton??

j.k

Don't know what that is...and probably will never find out the way this lag is going

pbguy1211
07-18-2003, 09:41 PM
*cough*doublepost*cough* ;)

You mean kindergarten? hehehe j/k

STTCT
07-19-2003, 05:54 AM
heh didn't mean for the double post....the lag was so bad this afternoon that aghh...it just sucked up my battles and posts and I just wanted to kick my computer across the room.

Its like driving in really bad traffic. You get sooo mad!!

Jed
07-19-2003, 09:35 AM
I just wonder what's going on with LF's servers lately...

No doubt the battle hack has put some stress on it, but that's not entirely at fault...:|

pbguy1211
07-19-2003, 12:58 PM
Do they go down for EVERYONE for like 15-30 minutes at times? Or is it me? And it happens ALL the time now... not good.

another_trooper
07-19-2003, 01:42 PM
*hurries to post*
Isn't this system gonna discourage new ppl from joining the forums? I mean Rhett, woops i mean the ppl who will have played too much, wooooooops i mean the ppl will be too strong to play against a newbie no?
I guess theres always the guy who doesn't really play like me :)
Anyhow, I read that battles inactive for 48h are automatiically TERMINATED. Does this mean that if you are about to loose you can just run away from your computer and wait until the battle is TERMINATED ?
Man, I hope I didn't ruin the system just there. . .hehehehe*evil laughs*hehehe, crap! im still on. . .;)