PDA

View Full Version : Chat Killing

BawBag
07-28-2003, 11:18 AM
Excuse my unbelievable ignorance, but what is chat killing?
I've been on a few servers that have a big message saying "No Chat Kills" etc. But i've never figured it out.
Can anyone explain it and/or give me an example?

Cheers.
:p

griff38
07-28-2003, 11:37 AM
Attacking someone while the little blue box is above their head. Tha means they are typing or looking in their consol. Either way you can't attack or defend in that mode.

-BLaCKouT-
07-28-2003, 01:00 PM
I always assumed it was a little more specific than that. Cos I've accidentally killed people when their box has come on half-way through a move.
I assumed it was deliberately talking to someone, and then killing them when they're replying.
Although I suppose it's much of a muchness.

:) B.

yolkboy
07-30-2003, 12:16 AM
I understand it as griff's explanation.

Lightsaberboy
07-30-2003, 01:51 AM
one time i killed someone while chatting. i had my saber up and the guy stood right in front of me with th bowcaster and charged it all up and killed himself.

[fk]mediablitz
07-30-2003, 02:59 AM
Chat box up = easy kill

evildude
07-31-2003, 01:31 PM
thats the newbie way

Tosh_UK
07-31-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by [fk]mediablitz
Chat box up = easy kill

if you got time to chat you got time to die

Prime
07-31-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by evildude
thats the newbie way It is very newbie. The player should know that chatting in the middle of a fight leaves them open to attack. This is a very foolish move on the part of the chattee.

Zappa_0
08-01-2003, 06:58 AM
Yea true....most of the time when they do it they start yelling at you. Its really funny when they do that. If there gonna chat why dont they just either finsh the fight or move away to a safer location, then standing out in the middle of the fight.

Atlas
08-03-2003, 08:30 AM
I always try to move safely out of a fight before i open console/chat. it really bugged me when people would put up chatbox in the middle of an FFA, then complain to me about getting chatkilled.

same goes with getting lamed, they'd run out into an FFA saberdown and get killed, then complain about getting lamed =/

.:Silver:.
08-03-2003, 10:31 PM
Chatkilling is almost always bad, but it does have its place.

When playing CTF, if the enemy is in your base and decides to chat, then he's free game. At all times if the flag carrier decides to chat, then he is also free game. Other than that, chatkilling is a "no , no.":D

Emon
08-04-2003, 04:45 AM
If someone's in a discreet corner of the map with their chat box up, I leave them alone. They could be setting some options or away getting a snack. I don't want to bother pissing people off, it ends up making everyone unhappy.

However, if some moron is standing in a traffic area of the map, or starts typing in the middle of a battle, I smite him with my saber.

FK | unnamed
08-04-2003, 05:33 AM
you type, you die, don't bitch about it.

end of story.

[fk]mediablitz
08-04-2003, 09:14 AM
it's strange that people get so upset over being killed in a computer game while they are "chatting"

Tosh_UK
08-04-2003, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by [fk]mediablitz
it's strange that people get so upset over being killed in a computer game while they are "chatting"

I love it when they come after you after vengance (sp?) and you keep killing them over and over hehehehehe why people get so upset is beyond me... if your getting that upset it might be best you log and take up stamp collecting.

TK-8252
08-09-2003, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
you type, you die, don't bitch about it.

end of story.

If you have to kill someone while they are helpless then you have no skills. People have the right to chat as long as they're out of the way of the battle.

FK | unnamed
08-09-2003, 04:59 AM
:ball:

:violin:

:rolleyes:

Luc Solar
08-09-2003, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
If you have to kill someone while they are helpless then you have no skills. People have the right to chat as long as they're out of the way of the battle.

Ok TK8252MJL, explain to me what "skill" has to do with anything? Skill = Honour? You are surely joking, yes?

"you killed me again and again and again using [insert any move/force/gun] so therefore you have no SKillz."

Is that it? That's how it works? Only those who follow your rules are skilled whereas anyone who "lames" (=beats you) have no skill? :rolleyes: Excuse me while I'm LMAO.

But you're right: People DO have the right to chat whenever they feel like it. But they do NOT have the right to bitch and moan if they get killed while doing it. They do NOT have the right to enforce their rules upon others. They do NOT have the right to kick-vote players off servers because they're not following some retarded rule that DOES NOT EXIST.

Imagine the Superbowl. Imagine a kid taking his tin soldiers and walking into the middle of the field The kid places the soldiers around the grass and starts messing around with 'em. "Boom Kaboom! Bang-Bang!! Arrrghg I'm hit! Medic!! ... "

The crowd stares at the kid wondering WHAT THE HELL he is doing there. Both teams stop playing and the ball bounces into mid-field knocking over a few tin soldiers.

The kid stands up and he is furious. You've never seen a kid this mad in you life. He walks slowly towards the two teams and starts screaming horrible insults to the players: OMFG You f'kingGayBitchAssF***LamersUnhonourableF***faceLam ourz!! MOMMYYYY the players laaaameed meeeee!!!"

The crowd is still totally quiet, shocked, wondering what the hell that kid is doing on the field.

The players are also speechless, staring at the little kid and his tin soldiers.

You, saber down = peace/duels only/don't lame/Force is gay-people are that little kid with his tin soldiers.

You, TK8252MJL, are the one with the tin soldiers. And you're screaming at the players because they lamed you.

Question: What on earth are you doing in the middle of the field playing with tin soldiers? Did you notice that it's the Superbowl? Sure, the players knocked over your soldier which was kinda rude and unfortunate...but how about if you take your tin soldiers and play somewhere else? You know, like MSN Messenger or ICQ?

:)

FK | unnamed
08-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Roflmfao

Thats the best analogy Ive ever heard.

I am so going to quote that from now on (giving credit of course).

yolkboy
08-09-2003, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by Luc Solar
Ok TK8252MJL, explain to me what "skill" has to do with anything? Skill = Honour? You are surely joking, yes?

"you killed me again and again and again using [insert any move/force/gun] so therefore you have no SKillz."

Is that it? That's how it works? Only those who follow your rules are skilled whereas anyone who "lames" (=beats you) have no skill? :rolleyes: Excuse me while I'm LMAO.

But you're right: People DO have the right to chat whenever they feel like it. But they do NOT have the right to bitch and moan if they get killed while doing it. They do NOT have the right to enforce their rules upon others. They do NOT have the right to kick-vote players off servers because they're not following some retarded rule that DOES NOT EXIST.

Imagine the Superbowl. Imagine a kid taking his tin soldiers and walking into the middle of the field The kid places the soldiers around the grass and starts messing around with 'em. "Boom Kaboom! Bang-Bang!! Arrrghg I'm hit! Medic!! ... "

The crowd stares at the kid wondering WHAT THE HELL he is doing there. Both teams stop playing and the ball bounces into mid-field knocking over a few tin soldiers.

The kid stands up and he is furious. You've never seen a kid this mad in you life. He walks slowly towards the two teams and starts screaming horrible insults to the players: OMFG You f'kingGayBitchAssF***LamersUnhonourableF***faceLam ourz!! MOMMYYYY the players laaaameed meeeee!!!"

The crowd is still totally quiet, shocked, wondering what the hell that kid is doing on the field.

The players are also speechless, staring at the little kid and his tin soldiers.

You, saber down = peace/duels only/don't lame/Force is gay-people are that little kid with his tin soldiers.

You, TK8252MJL, are the one with the tin soldiers. And you're screaming at the players because they lamed you.

Question: What on earth are you doing in the middle of the field playing with tin soldiers? Did you notice that it's the Superbowl? Sure, the players knocked over your soldier which was kinda rude and unfortunate...but how about if you take your tin soldiers and play somewhere else? You know, like MSN Messenger or ICQ?

:)
LOL! :lol:

TK-8252
08-10-2003, 05:22 AM
If you have to resort to killing people when they CAN NOT fight back, you need to get some skill. Now, I've never reacted like all those foul-mouthed whiners, but it's just common courtousy that you allow a certain amount of mercy online. After all, you're not fighting bots or NPCs in SP. You're fighting REAL people and it's a whole different story. And about your child with the tin soldiers story, no one has the right to go onto the field and interupt a major sporting event. I don't even own any tin soldiers, and I think you've been playing too much Return to Castle Wolfenstein multiplayer. Help! Medic!

Luc Solar
08-10-2003, 01:42 PM
If you have to resort to killing people when they CAN NOT fight back, you need to get some skill.

This has nothing to do with skill. This has to do with "being an ass in an online game".

Killing someone who is AFK is one thing. That's no biggie. What is a biggie is the god damn WHINING that the typekill-victim starts. Whining ruined JO. No matter what you do, it results in: "Waaah waah waah you laamed meeee" :violin: :crybaby:

I doubt many of us think chatkills are cool. If someone runs to a dark corner, types "afk" and leaves his chat box up, I'm surely not going to kill him. But if I'm rocketing someone who runs past that corner, I'll surely keep on firing. If you're in the way, you die. It's not like you're "out" after getting killed in JO. It should not matter at all. Respawn & play. Simple. It's just a game.

Some people seem to think that they can start chatting in the middle of a fight. These people also tend to walk into a madhouse of DFA's saber down and whine if someone scratches them. Some people are idiots and shouldn't be allowed to breed.

it's just common courtousy that you allow a certain amount of mercy online. After all, you're not fighting bots or NPCs in SP. You're fighting REAL people and it's a whole different story.

Exactly. Agreed. Well put. But being courteous and playing "honourably" is two entirely different things. It does not make me a bad guy if I don't bow before duels/if I use lightning/kick/hit you in the back/grip-kick/Shoot you with a big gun/use a bacta/lure you into a trap/use [insert any technique] you might think is not "honourable".

There is NO SUCH THING AS HONOUR. There is NO SUCH THING AS LAMING. There are jerks and courteous people, but that's it. Code of Honours have nothing to do with it...although you're definitely a jerk if you expect others to acknowledge YOUR code and play according to it.

Please try to understand this, TK8252MJL. If you people try to enforce your honour codes in JA as well, no-one will have fun. JA will become a game of "kick teh dishonourable lamourz!!1" instead of "let's play the game and have fun".

WARNING: AN INSIGNIFICANT JA SPOILER AHEAD

Someone posted here that there will be "official" emotes in JA. Bowing and meditating. :( I can already picture it: A whole FFA map filled with people bowing and meditating. No-one PLAYING.

....except for Luc who runs around cutting off the heads of every dumb-ass who thinks "FFA" stands for "let's sit and meditate".

BTW - I don't own RTCW. :p

Emon
08-10-2003, 02:32 PM
Someone told me the emotes are only for duel, but I'm not sure. Makes sense though.

TK-8252
08-10-2003, 04:01 PM
Hold on a minute! I sayed that if people are OUT OF THE WAY then you shouldn't kill them. If someone is right in a battle then starts chatting I NEVER SAYED you shoudn't kill them. I agree. That kind of chat killing is okay. Some people are so stupid and right in the middle of a duel they start chatting I HATE THAT!

I don't care if people don't bow, I, myself, DON'T BOW!!!!! And I use Lightning, kick, I hit people in the back (people should be alert at all times), I don't know how to use kick-grip with 1.04 but if I knew how I'd do it, I will use rocket launchers from time to time, always use bacta (nothing wrong with that!), trap people in the rancor pit in Jabba's Palace, use mines and det packs, it's all part of the game!!!!! And I don't whine!!!! I just think that people should be somewhat courteous. (don't yell and curse at each other, let people configure options/charactor/chat in a dark corner, and don't whine or kick people for gripping people over ledges. I'm not talking about honour, I'm talking about giving a good, clean, fight. With the Force!

BTW, If you've never played Castle Wolfenestein, try it! It's made by the same people that made Jedi Outcast (activision)

-BLaCKouT-
08-10-2003, 04:59 PM
If someone runs to a dark corner, types "afk" and leaves his chat box up, I'm surely not going to kill him.

Guys, what's AFK? :confused:

B.

TK-8252
08-10-2003, 05:18 PM
I have no idea. I feel like a n00b. :o

Emon
08-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Away from keyboard.

zdk1
08-10-2003, 08:30 PM
I play mostly ctf so I really don't see much complaining about chatkilling. If someone complains about chatkilling in ctf though I find that pretty funny.

For the most part, I will attempt to kill anyone on my screen, chatbox or not, unless it is painfully obvious that they are afk and don't pose any threat. For me that doesn't mean simply being slightly out of the way. After getting sniped by people in out of the way positions who had their chatboxes up fairly often, if they are in line of sight i will usually shoot at them, though I won't go horribly out of my way. If I pass someone with a chatbox up on the way to/from the enemy base, I will most certainly blast him because I don't feel like getting rocketed or sniped as soon as I turn my back. In ctf there's almost never a reason not to kill anybody, chatbox or no chatbox. If he's in the back room of bespin pipes in an FFA though I probably won't attack him, I'll watch the door though. i don't feel chatkilling is a huge deal in ctf. If I want to say something I'll normally wait till I'm dead.

I read through a bit of the forums and found a few of these honour/laming debates so i thought I'd just give my views. The bowing issue doesn't effect me much since i'm usually in a ctf-guns server where, while the saber definitely has a place, bowing and duels are certainly not an issue. I do find the bowing thing to be unnecessary and odd. One reason I quickly decided to move to 1.04 was because 1.02 was all Lightsaber only servers filled with red dfa spammers who demanded bows before each duel and every time you passed someone......

Personally, I really don't like the whole honour code, Jedi must do ABC and not XYZ or he will be kicked etc. Unless its a glitch, if the devs put it in the game I don't see a reason not to use some gun/forcepower. the codes of honour/behaviour are quite superflous and unnessary at best, and have the ability to annoy people and ruin te game. If its their own server though and everyone else abides by it, I'll just leave and go to another one.

I have never, and probably never will call someone a lamer. If I am totally owned by someone, yeah I'll probably be upset but I'll acknowledge the fact that I was owned and the other person was a better player. Even if killed by a spammer I just try to figure out how to counter. I used to get killed by red dfa spammers all time whereas now I almost laugh when I see one. I realize that there are much, much better players than me playing and that will almost always consistently own me. i'll just try and reduce the number of players that are.

anyways, just my few cents worth

Mith[OmNi]
08-10-2003, 08:47 PM
I agree that whining is annoying, but it can't ruin a game. FFA or CTF where the objective to rack up as many points as possible, Chat sign is a kill me sign. People care about the number of kills, not the quality of which they were made.

Duel, on the other hand, is all about quality and style. When dueling, make sure your opponent is ready before you attack him. Usually they'll either bow, say something cruel/interesting/funny/problematic, and then light their saber. You should follow their example. Or they'll attack you. In that case, they're most likely new to the game.

However, its totally different from server to server.

Mith[OmNi]
08-10-2003, 08:51 PM

WARNING: AN INSIGNIFICANT JA SPOILER AHEAD

Someone posted here that there will be "official" emotes in JA. Bowing and meditating. :( I can already picture it: A whole FFA map filled with people bowing and meditating. No-one PLAYING.

....except for Luc who runs around cutting off the heads of every dumb-ass who thinks "FFA" stands for "let's sit and meditate".

You're a little mixed up.

Those emotes only work in duel/power duel mode. Which is a shame, since some of the taunts are kind of fun to do.

lllKyNeSlll
08-10-2003, 11:06 PM
It takes mad skills to pull off 3 chat kills in a row off the same person.

FK | unnamed
08-10-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

You know what takes mad skill?

Chat killing iron.

Hes the luckiest s.o.b I've ever met.

Emon
08-11-2003, 02:26 AM
Originally posted by lllKyNeSlll

...If you call locating a person who's AFK after they've respawned just so you can stand still and plug them, skill, then yes.

ryudom
08-11-2003, 02:55 AM
the fact that it doesn't take skill to chat kill doesn't mean the chat killer is skillless though

Tosh_UK
08-11-2003, 07:55 AM
I play CtF and if some one is AFK they don't cry because they are AFK.. but some times the flag guy or some one shooting at you is close to some one with a chat box up, and if you let a salvo of rockets off the so called AFK get hit and dies.. then all you see if OMG you lamed me I was AFK. it strikes me as odd that you are watching the screen and saying your AFK? some players say I was eating!!! well normally I will log out and go eat instead of taking a place up afk and not letting some one else join and play.

But as a general rule if your AFK in your zone I will ignore you.. hell I don't even go for players that are not afk.. all I have me mind is hitting that flag and getting the hell out of there as fast as possible.

p.s if they are changing there force settings.. you most prob done them a favour, as then they get to use there new settings when they respawn :P

Kurgan
08-16-2003, 06:48 PM
One thing that would stop the whining about chat killing would be this:

Make it so with the chat box over your head, you're completely invincible. There.

Oh wait, we can't have that, you know why? Because then people would quickly bring up their console or type something to avoid a fatal blow. It would be totally stupid!

So, as a result, we will have chat kills.

Try this... log onto a FFA server with a bunch of people in it that are actually playing. Find a quiet corner of the map, face the wall, turn off your saber, and start to type so the chat box stays over your head.

Now get up out of your chair and go do something else for ten minutes. Then come back and see what's up.

I GUARENTEE you, your character will have been killed by the time you come back. Even if it wasn't done intentionally, you are going to be in somebody's way or in somebody's hiding spot.

If you were playing Tennis and you just stood there and got distracted, you lost. Unless you called time out (which was recognized by the other players) you have no excuse. That's the key.... YOU may be on time out, but nobody else is, and so you remain a valid target. If it's one on one, it's easier to do of course.

Talk when you're dead or in spectator mode. If you get killed, suck it up and move on.

Sure, chat killing is rude (if done on purpose) but people expecting it not to happen is unrealistic, especially if they're in the middle of the action.

On the subject of official emotes, I have no problem with them. Unreal had them, as did Quake 2, and many games since have had them. We saw the way people abused taunts in JK2 (the infamous "Hey, You There!" and the countless jokes it inspired and those hilarious "If the Movies Played like JK2.." pics) and we've seen how they have abused emotes.

We know some people overuse these features, that's not the point. The key here is that in all of these games, while doing a taunt you were ALWAYS VULNERABLE.

I hear (I don't play them so I don't know for sure) that in various JK2 mods, you are INVINCIBLE while using an emote. How stupid is that? Just like my example of the invincible chat boxes above, sure it would be nice to protect Role Players from getting killed by real players, but then that would mean anybody could abuse it to avoid a fatal blow in battle. Utterly stupid.

So as long as I can lop the head off the guy meditating or slap the taunt off some guy's face with my Concussion rifle, I'm perfectly fine with emotes. Let them use their emotes... it'll make for an interesting death animation. ; )

And I totally agree about people trying to "chat hide" in CTF or in a duel. That's totally rude, especially if they whine when they get chat killed. In CTF every person on a team is expected to pull their weight. You can't grab the flag and expect not to get hunted down by the other team, so you can't call "safety" just because you feel the need to type and hold up the game. Nor can you hide in somebody's base and talk and expect them not to remove you. And in a duel situation, other people are patiently waiting their turn, yet you choose to sit there and waste time gabbing? At least in a FFA, if you chat, you are only wasting your own time, rather than somebody else's.

boinga1
08-16-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by ryudom
the fact that it doesn't take skill to chat kill doesn't mean the chat killer is skillless though

That doesn't mean they are skilled, either, though.

lllKyNeSlll
08-16-2003, 10:32 PM
AFK kills don't take skill. But trew chat kills are different. You have to think of the perfect question to ask to get your opponent to start talking and you come behind and dfa or something. THe second and third time gets harder because you have to think of a better question.

power_ed
08-17-2003, 07:08 AM
..well said Kurgan :)

Emon
08-17-2003, 07:08 AM
I think a good fix would be to allow your kills to be retained while hopping back and forth between spectator and player. That way someone can talk with a few friends and continue playing without loosing their kills.