PDA

View Full Version : Back to school. Back to school

Clefo
08-01-2003, 07:42 PM
... to prove to dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch pack packed, my shoes tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight!

Yes, for those of us 18 and under and aren't home schooled or homeless, its about time for school. I have 13 days left in my vacation. (If you're some spoiled East Cost brat who is going to post: "Ha ha! I go to school in September, you suck!" I should point out that I get out a month earlier than you, you schmuck :D)

So what are YOU planning for the upcoming skool year?

Boba Rhett
08-01-2003, 08:08 PM
I have no clue yet.

Sherack Nhar
08-01-2003, 08:21 PM
I have 25 days left, but when school starts... I'm hoping I'll get to socialize a bit more than last year, mostly.

swphreak
08-01-2003, 08:26 PM
I have 5 days of freedom left.

I will be working my ass off this year. I'm a Senior and I got some tough classes.

Whatever free time I have will be for sleeping or hanging with friends.

Bob Gnarly
08-01-2003, 08:35 PM
I have a whole month left :p.

lukeiamyourdad
08-01-2003, 09:30 PM
Huurrrrray for Canada's school system!

Actually getting out one month later gives a bigger advantage then you think. Although we share the same amount of vacay days, we can avoid August's heat by staying home or going to the pool while you have to survive sitting in a class while it's 100 degrees out there(unless US schools have more budget then us and you all get some nice modern air conditioners...).

Anyway...

Zygomaticus
08-01-2003, 10:54 PM
Well, I'm with Clefo, as a westerner... ;) But I do happen to have 25 more days before school starts.

Like many others here, I'm going into my last year of high school - got a bunch of rather difficult classes, and another bunch of college applications to fill, interviews to give and essays to write. Also Water Polo season starts on the 13th. So I'm in for a semester of hec :p Boy will I be happy when it's all over... :o

And then out of the frying pan and into the deep blue sea, as they say :eek:

another_trooper
08-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
we can avoid August's heat by staying home or going to the pool while you have to survive sitting in a class while it's 100 degrees out there(unless US schools have more budget then us and you all get some nice modern air conditioners...).

Anyway...

They probably do :(
Im planning to work harder this year, its my last year of secondary (or 11th grade for everywhere else where the system makes sense:D ). I got lazy this year, like every year (:D ) so my grades were ok.

BTW, where do the ppl in Mtl go to?

Tie Guy
08-01-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Whatever free time I have will be for sleeping or hanging with friends.

Did you mean sleeping with your friends or hanging with your friends OR sleeping....or hanging with your friends. ;) Just wanted to clear that up.

Anways, i've got like three weeks left or something.

Oh, and our school does have air conditioning, but it runs until Janurary when it is absolutely freezing inside, and then when they do turn on the heat it runs until June when it is like 180 degrees inside. It's ridiculous.

lukeiamyourdad
08-02-2003, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by another_trooper

BTW, where do the ppl in Mtl go to?

Huh? Aren't you in Mtl?

Sherack Nhar
08-02-2003, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by another_trooper
BTW, where do the ppl in Mtl go to? I will attend Vanier College for the second year this month.

Don't stalk me. :D

lukeiamyourdad
08-02-2003, 01:29 AM
Oh I didn't get the question.

some dumb old school. Joseph-François-Perreault. Next year shall be my last:D !

*wondering if one of you is the guy at my school who wore a Jedi outfit last halloween*

swphreak
08-02-2003, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by Tie Guy
Did you mean sleeping with your friends or hanging with your friends OR sleeping....or hanging with your friends. ;) Just wanted to clear that up.

haha I wish :p

I will either be sleeping (maybe with my gf :D), or hanging with my friends.

lukeiamyourdad
08-02-2003, 01:41 AM

I will either be sleeping (maybe with my gf :D

Right now you should be wishing she never sees this. Or it will never happen!;)

Billy Shears
08-02-2003, 02:52 AM
Back to school. Back to school

How DARE you profane this place with those words' presence!

Artoo
08-02-2003, 04:27 AM
Heehee! :D

You can ask Fergie... I'm about to die, I might not even have the time to make weekly visits to these forums because when I won't be at school, I'll be doing homework, and when I won't be doing homework, I'll be sleeping, and when I'm not doing any of those three (maybe 6 hours out of the week total not counting religious events) I'll most likely be hanging out with my friends or blowing all my hard-earned monies on my girlfriend. (me = whipped)

I go back on August 14th and get out May 21st! Go me! :D

PS: this is totally off-topic... but I really, really like your avatar Sherack... How'd you do that? It's a very nice...

Sherack Nhar
08-02-2003, 04:45 AM
Originally posted by Artoo
PS: this is totally off-topic... but I really, really like your avatar Sherack... How'd you do that? It's a very nice... Thanks! :D It's from MacHall (www.machall.com), one of my favorite webcomics ^_^

Zygomaticus
08-02-2003, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Sherack Nhar
Thanks! :D It's from MacHall (www.machall.com), one of my favorite webcomics ^_^

Yeah, I agree with Artoo on that. Was it made from a photograph of yours because it bears an uncanny resemblance to yourself... :p Y'know, with the goatee and all... ;)

Sherack Nhar
08-02-2003, 04:48 PM
No the artist doesn't know me or anything... and that's the funny part because the character is exactly like me, not only in appearance!

Anyway... To get back on topic, I thought of a new thing to do during school year: To go eat at that AMAZING fast food restaurant not far from the college, I'm really starting to miss it :D

lukeiamyourdad
08-02-2003, 06:46 PM

Anyway... To get back on topic, I thought of a new thing to do during school year: To go eat at that AMAZING fast food restaurant not far from the college, I'm really starting to miss it :D

Better not be McDonalds!

Sherack Nhar
08-02-2003, 06:49 PM
Naw actually it's a La Belle Province :cool:

Rogue15
08-02-2003, 06:50 PM
I start taking computer classes September 6-the end of august. 2 days a week, 6-9. then going to take an a+ prep class and get my a+ certification by february. yes...i'm going to be fricking rich by the time i'm 21. *rubs hands together...smoke comes out*

Compa_Mighty
08-02-2003, 10:45 PM
Man, you people get a lot more vacation than we do in Mexico. I finished last school year June 20th, and I'm going back August 18.

I'll be taking 1st grade of Preparatory school (that's first in high school or 10th grade for you people) and I'll be studying in the afternoons, from 2:30 pm to 8:30 pm, so probably you'll be seeing a lot less from me.

About the climate, I think I can safely say here in Mexico City we have better climate than anywhere you live (taking into account most of you are Americans, Canadians, Dutch or Australians), we almost never get snow (last time it was in 1966, my mom was one month old!), we have a temperate climate in general, and fortunately we don't have to worry about tornadoes and those stuff. Generally, a great place to live, climate-wise.

As for my expectations for next school year... well, the one thing that could make it better than the last two is that this girl breaks up with her boyfriend, and I end up getting the title. :D

Crazy_dog no.3
08-03-2003, 11:43 AM
I've finished school. :D :D :D

Now I gotta find a job. :( :( :(

Admiral
08-03-2003, 04:21 PM
I remember when I was very young. Lived in the mid-west. Got out of school at the end of may, and then moved east. Three month summer vacation. :)

Now I'm in college and I once again get a three month summer vacation and a month winter vacation. :)

Sherack Nhar
08-03-2003, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Admiral
Now I'm in college and I once again get a three month summer vacation and a month winter vacation. :) Same here, and I hate it. 3 months is too long, it has a nefast effect on my personality. I can't wait to go back to school...

lukeiamyourdad
08-03-2003, 05:11 PM
Same here, and I hate it. 3 months is too long, it has a nefast effect on my personality. I can't wait to go back to school...

BLASPHEMY!

Hey isn't there a La Belle Province in Laval?

Sherack Nhar
08-03-2003, 10:41 PM
Yeah there is... they're all over the place hehe but the one I'm talking about, which is on Decarie, is special. The food is superior and they're cheaper!

matt--
08-03-2003, 11:00 PM
2 things I want to do this year.

Order a pizza directly to my seat during an assembly - this is a minor idea I wanted to do last year, but there was an odd lack of assemblies.

Mulch the school - the prank too good to wait until senior year.

Bob Gnarly
08-03-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by matt-windu

Mulch the school - the prank too good to wait until senior year.
How big is your school :confused: Because doing that, id think youd need allooooot of plants and sticks.

matt--
08-04-2003, 01:07 AM
Oh, it's big.
and 2 levels.

It'd be amazing.

Boba Rhett
08-04-2003, 01:10 AM
Make sure to squirt some honey on the floor before you put the mulch down. :rhett: Oh how deliciously evil.

Redwing
08-04-2003, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by Clefo
... to prove to dad that I'm not a fool. I got my lunch pack packed, my shoes tied tight, I hope I don't get in a fight!

Yes, for those of us 18 and under and aren't home schooled or homeless, its about time for school. I have 13 days left in my vacation. (If you're some spoiled East Cost brat who is going to post: "Ha ha! I go to school in September, you suck!" I should point out that I get out a month earlier than you, you schmuck :D)

So what are YOU planning for the upcoming skool year?

What do you mean East Coast? West Coast people do too ;)

Well, not me. College starts August 25th. But high school does.

WolfmanNCSU
08-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Ahhh yes. Never returning to school again. This will be the first August when I dont have to start classes again. Its going to be werid thats for sure.

Well, I guess I should not say never returning to school, because I do plan on getting my masters and possible second degree sometime. Go back for some night classes eventually, but I can not afford them anytime soon. My girlfriend will be starting classes last week of August, she just finished second summer sessions so she is taking a needed break. Then she will be graduating in December. Congrats to her.

JediMasterEd
08-04-2003, 01:35 PM
No! I don't wanna go back to school...I want to stay home and play Star Wars Galaxies...oh well...we go back to school in August 27...I dunno why, New England usually starts after Labor Day, but the school system here is...cruel...you need to be in school BY 7:25 or you're tardy and just to make the bus, I need to be out the door at 6:30. Yup...homework again...:(

Clefo
08-04-2003, 05:57 PM
I never understood starting at 7 in the morn, seems kinda silly since NO ONE I KNOW wakes up before then.

Where I go we start at 9:30 and get out at 3:30.. Pretty fair if you ask me

JediMasterEd
08-06-2003, 03:33 AM
Yes...my school system is cruel...but the good thing is that they're moving up the time, bad thing is budget cuts...:( We go for 7:25am to 1:50pm. I wake up at 4:45 though so I'm ready and already playing games.:D

Praetorian
08-06-2003, 11:59 AM
My classes start the last week of august. I'm taking night classes 'cause I work full time. The classes are LAN Concepts and P/C Assembler Language.

WolfmanNCSU
08-06-2003, 12:19 PM
Whoo hoo, assembler. I enjoyed that class. I was looking at my transcript the other day and I ended up getting a B in that class. I could have easily done better when I look back at it. Oh well. LAN concepts sounds like a snoozer. You should have a good semester.

swphreak
08-06-2003, 01:55 PM
Well, today is my last day of freedom. Tomorrow 7:15am school starts.

This sucks...

Praetorian
08-06-2003, 05:08 PM
I've been told LAN concepts is a fun class. But I'm not familiar w/ the teacher, so we'll see. I'm looking forward to Assembler...one of my favorite teachers is my prof.

jediduo
08-08-2003, 04:22 AM
I'm actually leaving everyone here behind and heading off to college (12.5 hours away) for my freshman year. :D Do any of you collegiate forummers have any tips?

Clefo
08-09-2003, 02:17 AM
Got my schedule today... Here it is

1. Co Ed Phys Ed 1-4
2. American Government 1-2
3. Physics 1-2
4. PC Management and Maintenance
5. English 7-8
6. Student Government 1-2

I'm kinda(very) miffed that I didn't get Sign Language 7-8, despite the fact that I put it down as my FIRST and ONLY elective. I'll probably drop PC Management and Maintenance to become an aid in a level 1 class, if I can get credit for it

Artoo
08-09-2003, 04:26 AM
My Killa of a schedule... :(

Zero hour - Jazz Band
1st period - Advanced Band (I'm gonna be so tired after those two)
2nd period - Romans/I & II Corinthians
3rd period - AP English *shudder*
4th period - AP American History *shudder*
Lunch
5th period - Pre-AP Chemistry (with the worst teacher EVAR)
6th period - Pre-AP Calculus
7th period - Study Hall/Speech

I'm lucky to get in that period of study hall... I can get the jump on all that homework. It'll be like college... cept not. :(

lukeiamyourdad
08-09-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey how long do your periods last? 'cause 7 periods seems to be a long, very long day...

Artoo
08-09-2003, 03:19 PM
Our school hasn't gone to block scheduling so each class is 50 minutes and lunch is 25 minutes. Scary, eh?

Zygomaticus
08-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by Artoo
Our school hasn't gone to block scheduling so each class is 50 minutes and lunch is 25 minutes. Scary, eh?

25 minutes :eek:

Our classes are an hour long and lunches 40 minutes :indif:

Clefo
08-09-2003, 04:00 PM
On Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday its 52 minute Periods with a 30 minute lunch

On Wednesday its 90 minute periods with 32 minute lunch.

Jed
08-09-2003, 07:13 PM
Got my schedule today, I'll be going back in 23 days...

Period A - Spanish 3-1
Period B - Accelerated Chemistry L1
Free Period
Period C - English 10 L1
Period D - Drama Workshop

I hate drama...and to top it off my English teacher this year is the same one I've had for the past 2 English classes...:|

Oh yea, and my periods span about 80 minutes each, except for the free period, which lasts around 40 minutes. Lunch is 20 min.

:D

lukeiamyourdad
08-09-2003, 07:58 PM
WOW:eek:

I feel like I have the longest lunch hour:eek:!
I have exactly one hour and 14 min of lunch time.

And american periods are soo complicated...

another_trooper
08-09-2003, 08:29 PM
My lunch time is 1h30
*props with himself*
we have too much free time. . .

We have 7 periods of 45 mins each.:)

lukeiamyourdad
08-09-2003, 08:33 PM
How much time does any of you guys have between the periods?

another_trooper
08-09-2003, 08:46 PM
we have around 2 minutes between the periods 1-2 3-4 5-6
and 15 mins break between periods 2-3 and 6-7

darthfergie
08-09-2003, 08:48 PM
*runs screaming into thread firing rapidly at all those evil people who actually get to EAT their lunch*

*sigh*
Yeah...we get 25 minutes (same school as Artoo)...but it's really about 10 minutes shorter every day...They like to keep you late in your class when it's before lunch. Although I dunno...AP hist shouldn't be bad at all with that. I had Pre-Cal then and it was basically every day that I got in lunch with 15 minutes to go.

1st - AP Eng
2nd - Speech/Study Hall
3rd - AP Euro
4th - AP Cal
lunch
5th - Greek II
6th - Physics
7th - Web Design/Off Campus

So guess what? I get no lunch once again! :o

jediduo
08-10-2003, 03:23 AM
My first class doesn't start 'til 11:05, but I have a night class on tuesday from 6:15 to 9:15. And I have lunch whenever I please. *ducks hail of gunfire from DarthFergie*

Oh, and to those who are taking Story: If she offers bonus videos at lunch, TAKE THEM. Trust me.

Clefo
08-10-2003, 02:51 PM
I have 4 minutes between periods, which to people who go to large high schools sounds like a lot, but considering mine being pretty small its plenty of time

lukeiamyourdad
08-10-2003, 03:26 PM
WOW:eek: !

I'm amazed again about how much time I have between periods...geez...

All my periods last 75 min and there's a 15 min break between period 1-2 and 3-4. I only have 4 periods a day...I strangely feel lucky...

jediduo
08-11-2003, 03:15 AM
:confused: Block scheduling, luke-dad? Or are you just lucky?

Jatt13
08-11-2003, 04:02 AM
here's my schedule:

Zero Hour (7:15) - Jazz Band
1st - advanced band
2nd - AP Am. History
3rd - Romans/I & II Corinthians
4th - AP English II
5th - Pre-AP Chemistry
6th - Pre Cal
7th - Theater Tech/ Speech

i go to the same school as artoo and fergie, so i have the same lunch and stuff. artoo, who do you have for pre cal? i've got davis (grrr... no ortiz!). and i'll keep the bonus vids in mind, jediduo.

swphreak
08-11-2003, 10:18 AM
Yea, i have block scheduling too. 4 classes a day, but I have 5 classes, so I have to have an A/B Day for first period.

1a- Trig
1b- reading 3 (sleepy time :D)
2- Spanish 2 (uhhh.... sooo lost...)
3- Comp tech blah blah (web team basically)
4- Physics

lukeiamyourdad
08-11-2003, 03:02 PM
jediduo- Yes

I believe it too be easier to manage and it gives us a lot of time between periods( enough to get bored :s). I remember one day they reduced the time between the periods to 5 min and see what it would look like. Panicked people, running around and cursing the Principal were the main results. I don't know how some of you guys manage do go from one class to another in 2 min...

swphreak
08-11-2003, 03:41 PM
We get about 7 minutes between class and 30 minutes forlunch (with 4 lunch periods)

lukeiamyourdad
08-11-2003, 03:47 PM
You have 4 lunch periods?! WTF?!

swphreak
08-11-2003, 06:10 PM
nono, there are a total of 4 lunch period. Every student gets one lunch.

7:15am - school starts
1st period lasts for 90 minutes
then 2nd period for another 90 minutes
now it gets interesting:
3rd period and lunch starts.
A lunch - 30 minutes
B lunch - 30 minutes
C lunch - 30 minutes
D lunch - 30 minutes
3rd period lasts 120 minutes long, but we get 30 of those minutes for lunch, so we still get 90 minutes of class. Your lunch time depends on what hall you're in.
and last, 4th period for 90 minutes
2:15pm schools out
also, we get like 7 or so minutes between classes.

Why don't we all just go to lunch and chow down at the same time? Hmmm... maybe because 3,000+ students in the cafe at once would drive the workers mad and there'd be a riot...

lukeiamyourdad
08-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Can't the student go outside for lunch?I know my school has only 1600 students but we all go to lunch at the same time. Only 1/3 students stays in and the rest go out to some restaurant or simply go home. Since your school is bigger, I thought they would make a bigger cafe...

swphreak
08-11-2003, 09:47 PM
meh, give us the budget...

and we used to be allowed, but too many kids were coming late, skipping, and some crap about security issues...

Jed
08-11-2003, 10:18 PM
meh, give us the budget...

That's the same reason things are so screwed up at my school. We had to fire 10 teachers just to hire 3 new ones...does that make any sense?!??!?!?!

I've got about 2-3 minutes in between classes, so when you have a science class you're usually late :indif:

Tie Guy
08-12-2003, 01:10 AM
Only a week left until doomsday for me. Here's my schedule

A Day
1. Physics AP - tennis coach is my teacher so no prob here
3. Calculus AP (just shoot me now)
5. Latin V AP
7. Evironmental AP

B Day
2. Physics AP
4. US Government AP
6. English IV AP
8. Art I (my frickin school makes me take an art credit. Ridiculous!)

As you can see, we only have 4 classes every day, each 90 minues with a 30 minute lunch and 6 minutes between classes. I like it better than a regular schedule, though some classes do tend to drag on incessantly at times.

And we also have three lunches, one after second block, one in the middle of it, and one after third block. Everyone gets one lunch depending on their third block class on each day. It's kinda convoluded, but it works out...normally, and it's better than haveing 3000 students in the cafeteria and mall at the same time, as SWP said. It's already too crowded as it is.

jediduo
08-13-2003, 04:03 AM
Our senior class had the possibility of off-campus lunch, but we axed that pretty quickly when some of my more rebellious classmates started throwing food. Oh well.

Artoo
08-13-2003, 04:23 AM
You could have substituted pot-smoking howler monkeys for your class and no one would've known the difference. :rolleyes:

WolfmanNCSU
08-13-2003, 04:27 PM
Well, after reading this thread and listening to everyone's schedule, I am glad that school is behind me (temporarily). I do plan on getting my masters and possible a second degree later on in life, but I will play that by ear when the time comes.

I am also leaving my job at the nuclear plant. Not exactally sure what or where I will be going after the fact, but something will come up soon. I am looking really hard for something else. Have been looking for a while, but now I am really working hard on it since I only have two weeks left.

Jediduo, which school are you going to?

Clefo
08-14-2003, 01:07 AM
Well, if you take a bicycle pump out on a Tuesday...

... Sorry, Ronald Regan Impression (Which I'm, quite good at), but:

Well, looks like I'm gonna have to take some community college classes because of my lack of math this year.. God dammit all

jediduo
08-14-2003, 03:09 AM
Well, I won't say the name here (I trust you guys, but anyone on the 'net can read these posts), but it's a small Methodist college. I really like it, and the fact that the freshman girl:boy ratio is 6:1 doesn't hurt any either. :naughty:

WolfmanNCSU
08-14-2003, 01:30 PM
Cool bro. Quite the opposite from where I went. Its about 8-9:1 guys to gals at NC State. But its cool, I still managed to findmyself a girl at the rivial school, UNC. DUM DUM DUMMMMM.

College is a blast, and I am sure that you will have a great time, but while your having fun, remember that you are there for a purpose and that your education will have to come first. You will learn to manage your time just fine, feel it out for yourself. But do remember to have fun while you are there.

Good luck starting off, I am sure that you will be fine.

Clefo
08-14-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by jediduo
but it's a small Methodist college.

SMU?
Seattle Pacific?

Those are the only 2 Methodist colleges I can think of at the moment.

More than likely after this year I'll:

1. Enroll in the University of Arizona
or
2. Spend a year in Community College to help prepare myself for College (I might be missing something.)

STTCT
08-14-2003, 02:05 PM
God damn CAlifornia! They raised the Community College fees by $7.00 a unit!!!

Anyways - if you can't tell already. I registered for my "class" (as I have the baby now - its harder) and got that terrible message. I thought we were supposed to be going to community college so it would be affordable??? Anyways I am taking a Saturday Morning class...after this one is over I can take the microsoft certification test. Yay.

jediduo
08-15-2003, 02:34 AM
Ah Ah Ahh, no guessing. No matter how much you guess, I'll always say no, just to throw you off. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.