PDA

View Full Version : Is Half-Life good?

HaruGlory89
08-06-2003, 01:00 AM
My friend said so much about it. Unfortunately, and shamefully, I've never played it, being the RTS/RPG freak that I am. Since Half-Life 2 is coming out, I want to play the first one to see what it's all about.

ZBomber
08-06-2003, 01:07 AM
Its great. Beginning is boring though.... :(

Gram_Reaper
08-06-2003, 03:25 AM
its better than this dying game. . .

Darth Groovy
08-06-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by Gram_Reaper
its better than this dying game. . .

Well hello Mr. Fancy Pants! Did you want to comment on Half Life or just drop a bomb in the conversation and leave thinking it was cool?:rolleyes:

Not sure about Half Life, never played it, but I sure hear about it alot, guess that counts for something. However Serious Sam: The Second Encounter is a great game but nobody ever talks about it. Sad really.:(

RoguePhotonic
08-06-2003, 06:27 AM
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter is a great game but nobody ever talks about it. Sad really

:o ...that was the most intense fps I have ever played lol...nothing like 100 monster things coming at you full speed.

HertogJan
08-06-2003, 07:13 AM
Originally posted by HaruGlory89
My friend said so much about it. Unfortunately, and shamefully, I've never played it, being the RTS/RPG freak that I am. Since Half-Life 2 is coming out, I want to play the first one to see what it's all about.

If you like RTS/RPG, you shouldn't play Half-Life :rolleyes: HL is an FPS - First Person Shooter, and it's mainly about shooting :) But I think HL is a classic, so you'll definately have to check it out!!

leXX
08-06-2003, 08:44 AM
Half Life is one of the best FPS games ever made, and is a true classic in the genre. It has a great SP storyline, and the MP mods (Counter Strike etc) are the most played MP games on the net, and have been for the last 5 years. The graphics are extremely outdated now, but that shouldn't be a factor if you are after playing a great game. I played the mod Team Fortress Classic for 2 years non-stop and loved every second of it.

So to answer your question, YES, Half Life is good.

Tesla
08-06-2003, 09:28 AM
HL rocks !! :)
I've only recently re-installed it and now im hooked again, i also have the PS2 version which is nice, and has several graphics improvements especially the weapons, but if your uncertian as to get HL, d/l a demo and check that out then if you like it, buy the full game and all the other X-Packs it has :p

WolfmanNCSU
08-06-2003, 11:35 AM
Go grab you a copy of HL. Its an awesome game. The single story is one of the better stories I have seen in an FPS game. Also, with all the mods they have made over the years, you will be able to find something that you really like (Multi and Single play). I think I will play a little HL tonight when I get home tonight just thinking about it. HA HA.

I want to play the Natural Selection mod a little. I have been without internet for a while after a lighting storm took out both my NIC and cable modem. Finally have them both replaced last night so the internet is back at home and I am ready to play with it. Spent last night downloading some songs that I have been waiting to listen to, but could not since I was down.

KBell
08-06-2003, 12:41 PM
Well, if you have a subscription to ANY pc games magazine, Half-Life should be voted Game of the year in all of them. In PC Gamer, it was voted the best game EVER, so far. Thats a pretty good track record for a game. :D

Captain Wilson
08-07-2003, 02:48 AM
Half life good. Go Buy. Complete. Wait. Buy Half life 2. Complete. Save world. Get the Girl. Que cheesy ending line. Roll credits. Play End Music

Tesla
08-07-2003, 02:56 AM
Actually there supposed panning a HL 3 so it won't be the end of Gordan Freeman just yet :)
I really want them to make a HL movie, man that would be cool IMO ;)

Captain Wilson
08-07-2003, 02:59 AM
lemme rework that the :D
Half life good. Go Buy. Complete. Wait. Buy Half life 2. Complete.Wait a loooong time till Half Life 3. Buy it. Complete it. Save world. Get the Girl. Que cheesy ending line. Roll credits. Play End Music
nah a moive would ruin it

GUNNER
08-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Is Half-Life good? Does a frog have a water tight ass? Does a fat dog fart?

Hell ya it's good , now get your butt down to the store and buy it as you only have a month or so to finish it before HL2 comes out.

Then once you get it go DL Counter-Strike from your favorite file provider and join a server and play the best On-Line game ever.

Once you have CS loaded come over to

su.nuclearfallout.net:27015 and look for [SU]Juggernaut :cool:

=(BoD)= M.D.B.
08-07-2003, 08:56 AM
Half Life good?

IS THE FRICKIN' BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUY IT...NOW, BEFORE I SHOOT YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !

HaruGlory89
08-07-2003, 10:56 AM
Bought it. It's really great! Now wonder so many people said so much about it! Actually, I bought CS and decided to play Half-Life before installing CS.

Just a question, who's the guy in a blue suit I keep seeing, carrying a suitcase. How come he's not panicking?

Tesla
08-07-2003, 11:38 AM
Erm...he plays a big part in the story you'll find out at the end of the game. :)

-=DarkZero=-
08-07-2003, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Tesla
Actually there supposed panning a HL 3 so it won't be the end of Gordan Freeman just yet :)
I really want them to make a HL movie, man that would be cool IMO ;)

I think I saw something on the making of a half life movie at some movie site myfriend showed me during the school year, but i'm not exactly sure :/

And half life is a good game, but counter strikes better =P

KBell
08-07-2003, 01:05 PM
Counter-Strike+Fallout series+Deus Ex+Warcraft series= MAYBER better than Half life :p

( by the way, all games listed above are MUST buys :D)

ZBomber
08-07-2003, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by KBell
Counter-Strike+Fallout series+Deus Ex+Warcraft series= MAYBER better than Half life :p

( by the way, all games listed above are MUST buys :D)

Not all of us have that kinda money! :cry7:

Any other games I should buy? :xp:

ANyways, glad you bought Half Life. :)

KBell
08-07-2003, 03:43 PM
Im glad ya said that Z, cause you can find the Fallouts 1&2 in a bargain pack at your local BestBuy or other comp store for about $10. Deus Ex is another bargain title at about $15 aswell, Warcraft 3 is about $20 (after mail-in rebate) and Warcraft 1&2 can go for about $10. So, adding them all together, you get $55. Thats 6 games for the price of a regular one :D GREAT bargain.

Reclaimer
08-07-2003, 04:19 PM
Half-Life is a Rip-off from Halo you Fight Aliens in Halo and you do the same in Half-Life. Halo came out before Half-Life mind you so Half-Life is a rip off from Halo.

KBell
08-07-2003, 04:29 PM
uhhhh Halflife came out BEFORE Halo. So if anything, Halo just ripped things from Half-life :rolleyes:

Reclaimer
08-07-2003, 04:35 PM
So Half-Life came out Before March 2001?That's when Halo came out.

HertogJan
08-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Haha reclaimer n00b!!!! :p :p :p ;)

Yeah HL featured pretty original gameplay, with all the scripted events and such... Great game, a classic... And then I haven't even mentioned CS and DoD and other mods... Ha, Halo sucks ass!! It's not PC, MWUAHAHHAHAAA!! No MODs... MWUAAHHAHAHAAA!!

HL ownz all ;) :p
[/hl promotion]

Acrylic
08-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Reclaimer
Half-Life is a Rip-off from Halo you Fight Aliens in Halo and you do the same in Half-Life. Halo came out before Half-Life mind you so Half-Life is a rip off from Halo.

Wow. That is VERY VERY n00bish dude. Think before you say. Half Life came out in 1998. 3 years before Halo came out. So as KBell said, Halo is probably ripping from Half Life.

Reclaimer
08-07-2003, 04:59 PM
Think before you say too.Halo started it desighns before Half-Life with The Myth storie line whitch there are there Myth games The fist came out in 1992.So Halo Really started before Half-Life with the Myth storie line.:xp:

KBell
08-07-2003, 05:49 PM
so your saying secret spies from the Half-life team, In mid-production of Half-life, secretly stole ideas from the Halo team, to create one of the best computer games of all time huh....

noobie.....you should REALLY look facts up before you post buddie :rolleyes:

txa1265
08-07-2003, 06:11 PM
I never finished Half-life ... which is rare for me. I may go back to it, but kind of doubt it.

I know that HL is rated 'best FPS ever', but I liked both Deus Ex and Jedi Knight better. It is a cool enough game ... it just didn't grab me ...

Mike

KBell
08-07-2003, 08:55 PM
Now, all he has to do is admit that he's wrong, and he wont look like such a noobie anymore.:rolleyes:

Reclaimer
08-07-2003, 09:05 PM
fine i'm wrong. :(

HertogJan
08-08-2003, 06:38 AM
fine i'm wrong. :(

Pwned once again ;) :p

GUNNER
08-08-2003, 06:51 AM
Can't we all just get along. :rolleyes:

Um, yeah ,check out your story before you come in here and talk crap about a game that has won numerous awards in the PC gaming industry and set the bar for FPS games.

Halo is a joke compared to HL.

RoguePhotonic
08-08-2003, 07:22 AM
I don't get why everyone says half life is so good...because it has nothing special gameplay wise and of course nothing in the way of sound graphic's or anything like that so what's left?..story...and the story is just ok...no big deal.

HertogJan
08-08-2003, 07:29 AM
The reason why you NOW think HL is no big deal, is that a lot of features first seen in HL are very normal and commonly used now. Think about scripted sequences, NPCs that help you, story-driven gameplay (connected levels etc) etc.

A lot of games have stolen such features from HL. And HL is THE MOD gamel, no other game has had that many mods. And that's a feature of HL too you know...

RoguePhotonic
08-08-2003, 08:29 AM
Well yeah I can see that it is or was big because it was new...but even now people say it's the ****...I never tried any mods and not sure if it has online play but if it does never tried it....

Ratmjedi
08-08-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by GUNNER
Can't we all just get along. :rolleyes:

Um, yeah ,check out your story before you come in here and talk crap about a game that has won numerous awards in the PC gaming industry and set the bar for FPS games.

Ok about that coment at the end about Halo. That is a joke because Halo is way better than Half-Life is. I know I'm going to get yelled at but it is the truth. Now Half-Life 2 is something along with Halo 2. You can't just say now that Halo is a joke compared to Halo because it is the new genre. Half-Life was good in it's day but compared to Halo now it is nothing. Also were talking about a Computer Game vs. a Console game which are diffrent at the moment since both aren't available on the opposite at the moment. The original Halo is going to soon be realeased on PC and is going to look beautiful on it. Plus now you are going to be able to play it with a mouse and a computer. Both Halo and Half-Life are revolutionary with what they have brought to the FPS genre. With Halo 2 and Half-Life we're going to see some pretty amazing gameplay and goodies. You just can't say that Halo is a joke compared to Half-Life cause that just shows you didn't play or read before posting that. I mean what Reclaimer said was absurd but that doesn't mean Halo is a joke.

Also how many games have their been were you fight Aliens? The first alien game came way before Half-Life did so you can't say Halo ripped off Half-Life when Half-life did it to another game. Half-Life just refined it and made it like no other just as Halo has now.

:lsduel: :duel:

HaruGlory89
08-08-2003, 10:50 AM
Oh c'mon! Both Halo and Half-Life have flaws and greatness. Halo is a kind of game, Half-Life is another. They're 2 COMPLETELY DIFFERENT GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!! One man's meat is another man's poison.;)They shouldn't be compared. Half-Life is years old while Halo ain't.

txa1265
08-08-2003, 11:06 AM
If you are a RPG/RTS gamer, the FPS I'd recommend is Deus Ex ... and Jedi Knight 1. These are the FPS with the best RPG elements. New games like Jedi Academy and Deus Ex 2 will have RPG elements, but neither has what the older games offered. Apparently the market finds that level of role playing 'too hard' in a shooter ...

Half-Life is a good game, which you can get pretty cheap. There are many newer games you would be worse off getting ;)

Mike

KBell
08-08-2003, 12:03 PM
You cant compare Half-Life with an X-Box game, it just doesnt fit. Now, when Halo comes out for the comp, THEN you STILL cant compare the two. The two were released on TOTALLY seprate dates. Its like comparing a Caveman's Technology, with Our's today! Just stick with comparing games released in the same century :rolleyes:

Reclaimer
08-08-2003, 12:07 PM

Shut the **** UP! DID HALF-LIFE HAVE JEEPS. well I don't know but Halo is 100000000000% beter than Half-Life.

Bob Gnarly
08-08-2003, 12:09 PM
Shut the **** UP! DID HALF-LIFE HAVE JEEPS.

Ummmm yes. yes it did. the map was called Jeepathon.

Reclaimer
08-08-2003, 12:10 PM
FOR THE WHOLE GAME DRIVABLE VEACHALS? i don't think so.

KBell
08-08-2003, 12:10 PM
*Unlocks the Newbie of the year medal from case*

I think this belongs to you.

oh, and so you dont get soooo excited about this, the newbie medal is a bad thing :rolleyes:

Bob Gnarly
08-08-2003, 12:13 PM
Ummm yes i belive there where machine guns and Vehicles in Half Life single Player. But then again i never played Sp except for like 2 missions, i played Counter Strike and half Life Multi Player.

By the way, Caps lock is on ;).

Reclaimer
08-08-2003, 12:14 PM
NO I"M HOLDING DOWN THE SHIFT KEY!

KBell
08-08-2003, 12:16 PM
Oh, and you can stop spamming again R....its a nasty habit that newbies like you have. You've made your point. You would like to marry Halo. Now stop spamming.:rolleyes:

Lynk Former
08-08-2003, 12:18 PM
heh someone needs to be attending anger management meetings...

Datheus
08-08-2003, 12:20 PM
Half-Life was ok... It always spooked me out. I never did get very far. Maybe that's why I don't like it as much as other people seem to..

I'm interested in Half-Life 2 though... the graphics look amazing.. I'm just not sure I have the guts to play it :(

Ah well, I continue to push forward without a personal flagship game to rant about! How does my world continue to turn?

Lynk Former
08-08-2003, 12:23 PM
METROID PRIME

\m/

:D

Bob Gnarly
08-08-2003, 12:25 PM
Metroid Fusion was also a great GBA game but Half Life is a great game and if you can find a good deal buy it....Now!

Holding down Shift doesnt make you appear louder Reclaimer ;).

DiRtY $oUtH™
08-08-2003, 12:40 PM
I like Half-Life...its a great game. But the reason I love HL is because of the mod it gave birth to...Counter-Strike!!!:cool:

There is no game on earth that can compare to Counter-Strike...but moving back to the topic of Half-Life...its a great game and I can't wait for HL2!

Datheus
08-08-2003, 12:47 PM
Counter Strike sucks bantha poodoo. It could suck a watermellon through a garden hose. It sucks... on ice. End of story.

*coughs*

Anyway, I'll admit... HL2... the graphics look tasty. You can't really argue that. But I've learned not to hold my breath on games. I've learned to have a negeitve predisposition for games. If it sucks, well, I expected that. If it's good, it's a pleasent surprise. And HL2 is just begging for the ball to be dropped.

txa1265
08-08-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Datheus
But I've learned not to hold my breath on games. I've learned to have a negeitve predisposition for games. If it sucks, well, I expected that. If it's good, it's a pleasent surprise. And HL2 is just begging for the ball to be dropped. Let me put it this way - Unreal II. Great graphics, mediocre game. HL2 - nice 21 minute show at E3 ... now re-released as small movies. Nice graphics, cool faces, great physics ... but the GAME? Remains to be seen.

Mike

Acrylic
08-08-2003, 04:31 PM
Woof. Reclaimer...you are really special. First, you rip people's work. Then you threaten to kill yourself. Then you ask for sig making guides. Then you say you can't afford PSP or PS when theres a FREE DEMO available. Then you diss on Half Life (which is better than Halo IMO)....you got issues dude. n00bish issues.

Reclaimer
08-08-2003, 04:34 PM
Dude um...Why don't you tell that to a Halo Forum bigger than this one?An International Forum?

Acrylic
08-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Dude um...Why don't you tell that to a Halo Forum bigger than this one?An International Forum?

I will. What are they gonna do to me? "Flame me to death?" :rolleyes:

Reclaimer
08-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Yes and also track you down,get your IP address spam messages to you. Bad stuff like pr0n and things. But I'm not going to give you the link because I've learned my lesen that was just some after affects.

KBell
08-08-2003, 04:50 PM
I would just stop posting before you say something extremely stupid.......too late....:rolleyes:

DiRtY $oUtH™
08-08-2003, 08:58 PM
Counter Strike sucks bantha poodoo. It could suck a watermellon through a garden hose. It sucks... on ice. End of story.

I think somebody might be intimidated by a game that requires higher- level intelligence....which they most likely don't have. If it sucks so much "bantha poodoo" then why is it played by nearly 80% of all online gamers. EVEN though its years old....I think its a VERY good game so just face it...
:rolleyes:

RoguePhotonic
08-08-2003, 09:19 PM
Half life never had drive able vehicles...mods don't count...

I think somebody might be intimidated by a game that requires higher- level intelligence....

OMG...I can't believe I just heard someone say something like this.... :¬:

counter strike is played by people with no intelligence...it's mindless raw combat....

Lynk Former
08-09-2003, 01:50 AM
Yes and also track you down,get your IP address spam messages to you. Bad stuff like pr0n and things. But I'm not going to give you the link because I've learned my lesen that was just some after affects.

that just shows what stupid geeks they all are if they do crap like that

Ratmjedi
08-09-2003, 06:27 AM
Every body just take a deep breath and relax. This isn't the start the Flame war thread for people who think Half-Life is the best or worst game.

Some people just need to put a little bit of more thought into what they are going to say.

Now here's an opinion so dont flame me.
The reason I think Counter-Strike is such a widely played game is because it doedn't require a very up to date brand new computer and graphics card. It's easy for anyone to play as long as you have a decent connection then you are fine.

That is why I think many people play it because it is available to the masses you dont have to pay a lot of $ for it and it is very enjoyable.

Just my $0.02 people

:lsduel: :duel:

HaruGlory89
08-09-2003, 08:19 AM
Seems like no ones listening to me. STOP COMPARING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!STOP IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Like I said, both are TOTALLY DIFFERENT GAMES WHICH ARE RELEASED AT DIFFERENT TIMES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please, don't turn this into a flame thread. And Reclaimer, you shouldn't have started this "Half-Life Sucks" thing, you shoud've known you'll get into trouble. So stop it.

Lynk Former
08-09-2003, 10:04 AM
well all games have their following and of course their pros and cons *shrugs* i personally don't really like counter strike or halo that much, they're kewl games sure but *shrugs* meh

Mex
08-09-2003, 10:25 AM
Reclaimer, I really think you should get out of these forums, your not doing your self any favours by all of the crap you've done here.

And Half-Life is better than Halo, I have both but I think half-life is better. It's the dad and mom of all fps's out there.

[But i lost my h-l cd somewhere! nooooo!] :¬:

Agen
08-10-2003, 02:37 PM
HL>Halo
CS>Other mp games
Simple huh? :p

GUNNER
08-11-2003, 08:01 AM
Shut the **** UP! DID HALF-LIFE HAVE JEEPS. well I don't know but Halo is 100000000000% beter than Half-Life.

Did you just tell me to shut the **** up? Don't be telling me or anyone else here that. You can talk crap about the thread or issue but never tell a member that. Especially me.

If you think Jeeps makes a game good then you must really like Mario cart huh?

HL set the standard. All else are sucking hind tit.

Get over it.

Lynk Former
08-11-2003, 08:30 AM
*shrugs* now you've done it, you've pissed off Gun Daddy...

GUNNER
08-11-2003, 09:23 AM
Yeah.:cool:

Bob Gnarly
08-11-2003, 09:28 AM
You just unleashed the Juggernaut.

GUNNER
08-11-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by [RAA]-=K1ngPin=-
You just unleashed the Juggernaut.

Damn strait!;)

HaruGlory89
08-11-2003, 11:00 AM
(Gets really tired of trying to persuade people to calm down.)

Agen
08-11-2003, 12:18 PM
Does the juggernaut make grated cheese sandwiches?
*licks lips*

KBell
08-11-2003, 12:47 PM
You people are still arguing about this?

Look, you CANT compare the 2 games. One was for Comp, and the other for X-Box. They are 2 different platforms, no matter how alike they are.:rolleyes:

Just ignore Reclaimer, he probly forgot to take his pills:rolleyes:

WolfmanNCSU
08-11-2003, 01:00 PM
HA HA, this thread went down in flames fast. Not to argue, but to help clear some things up...

HL was released long before Halo. Both stories are orginal and different from each other. HL does have driveable vehicles, although it was not very advanced nor was it meant to be a strong part in the game. However, a lot of mods used the driveable vehicles and made them pretty sweet, nothing special though. Counter Strike did pretty cool work with them on the jeep maps.

Both games are sweet, and I am glad that I own both of them.

GUNNER
08-11-2003, 02:34 PM
did anyone ever play the CS map called cs_canyon seige? The CT team had a armored personal carrier (APC) that you could drive.

One person steered and the rest of the team could ride in the back. That was great. but on a subsequent map release they removed it. :(

Acrylic
08-11-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by KBell
Look, you CANT compare the 2 games. One was for Comp, and the other for X-Box. They are 2 different platforms, no matter how alike they are.:rolleyes:

Ah, but Halo did/is come/coming out for the PC .THEN, we'll see which is better. :)

(Which of course, HL will be the victor. ;))

GUNNER
08-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
Ah, but Halo did/is come/coming out for the PC .THEN, we'll see which is better. :)

(Which of course, HL will be the victor. ;))

Amen brotha!:cool:

WolfmanNCSU
08-11-2003, 03:37 PM
did anyone ever play the CS map called cs_canyon seige? The CT team had a armored personal carrier (APC) that you could drive.

One person steered and the rest of the team could ride in the back. That was great. but on a subsequent map release they removed it. :(

Yep, I loved that map, but it was hard to play. So many noobs on the APC. Really pissed off a lot of people on the map.

Shotokan
08-11-2003, 07:24 PM
This Half-Life thing sounds pretty cool. My friends talk about it all the time so I think I might get the next one... But I haven't seen any screens or whatever. Can someone give me a site?

KBell
08-11-2003, 09:22 PM
www.sierrastudios.com/games/half-life/

Shotokan
08-12-2003, 02:00 AM
Thanks. By the way it looks SWWEEETTT! I wanna get it now.

GUNNER
08-12-2003, 06:12 AM
Go here to check out the CS page and look at the different guns and maps. CS.Net (http://www.counter-strike.net/)