PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Mandalorian Assassin Droid

Matt-Liell
08-07-2003, 04:49 PM
Well some of you like myself may not have fully pleased with Legolas' modeling well that was my first model and I have learned quite a bit. Plus its the summer and I have more free time. I got a little more creative too!:p I have only been working on this model for 1 hour buts its still looking pretty good.

Ok this is what my model is, I have always loved Maldalorians and this model has there armour style (well it will when skinned).
It is a droid used by the mandalorians to kill people and as instuments of war.

This model is intendent for Jedi Academy but since it will be compatible with JK2 I am going to make one with a bit more detail for JA and then optimize it for JK2, and now without further ado, my model:

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/mattliell/MattsMandalorianAssassindroid.jpg

PS, Total ploys 1024.;)

When its done it will look something like this:
http://www.3dtotal.com/home2/gallery/images/big/1097.jpg

fat_101
08-07-2003, 07:19 PM
Mandalorian whatsit :confused: never heard of one but nice start :) looks pretty cool too :D

CraZy_B
08-07-2003, 07:50 PM
Mandalorian whatsit never heard of one but nice start looks pretty cool too

You're jokin right? It most be a joke! WOW!! Never heard of Mandalorians:eek:

Great start BTW

Matt-Liell
08-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by fat_101
Mandalorian whatsit :confused: never heard of one but nice start :) looks pretty cool too :D

Thats becuase I made it up!:p Thanks for the comments guys!

Matt-Liell
08-08-2003, 12:11 AM
Well just a tiny update for ya, I went back to model a bit.

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/mattliell/MattsMandalorianAssassindroid2.jpg

CaladienJedi
08-08-2003, 01:28 AM
that looks really kool, :D

ninja
08-08-2003, 03:38 AM
wow that is very awsome great idea. hwy matt i was wondering where is that pic from? i mean you say you made it up but i'm wondering like where did you get the reference pic from? what is it? i wanna know more about it if you could please.

Matt-Liell
08-08-2003, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by ninja
wow that is very awsome great idea. hwy matt i was wondering where is that pic from? i mean you say you made it up but i'm wondering like where did you get the reference pic from? what is it? i wanna know more about it if you could please.

Well someone had put this up on a 3D Studio Max site and I saw it and the armour effect he used was from a tutorial on skinning worn armour and I thought it looked so much like Boba Fett's armour I just had to base a model on it!:D

PS: For when I put the tags all together, is there any way to make him hold the plaster pistol the wrong way to it is attached to the arm, because I'm going to model little blasters on his arms soo thatd be a cool addition to the model, also if possible, just to make it make more sense could I also do this with the lightsaber? But then I'd model a kind of blade that comes out on the other arm and make the saber blade invisible.

CraZy_B
08-08-2003, 01:10 PM
Maybe youll be able to do more modifications with JA

fat_101
08-08-2003, 09:27 PM
You're jokin right? It most be a joke! WOW!! Never heard of Mandalorians

yeah i have mandalorians just not a mandolrian assasin droid
:D well have now :P

nice me likes update pics :D

Brodin
08-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Hmmm lookin' good. The arms are a bit...odd :P (of course i know thatll change) and if it DOESNT change, ill have to go to your house and destroy you. yup :P

StarViperPilot
08-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Sweet concept, hope you can pull it off. Model looks good so far, but maybe you could pull the chin in a bit? Or maybe i mean move the "nose bump" up quite a bit. I think the effect that is being recreated in the robot's face is sort of a cloth wrapped around a real face. Sort of a "ninja" look, but in metal.

CraZy_B
08-09-2003, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by fat_101
yeah i have mandalorians just not a mandolrian assasin droid
:D well have now :P

nice me likes update pics :D

Yeah neither did I. sorry for being an a**hole but I thought you never heard of mandalorians. That would be weird;)

Matt-Liell
08-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Thank you all for the suggestions, and yes Brodin the arms will change. What I'm building now is the "Basic Elements" like the skeleton on top of a skeleton if you will.:p When I'm finished the whole body like that then I will go in for more extrusions and his armour will start to take shape. Again I'm working in the hopes of a higher polycount hes already over 2000 but its gonna be fine I think, and instead of my idea about the blades coming out of his hands I'm going to model the sword as seen in that pic, also I'm going to model a new model for the bryar plaster pistol to be his arm pistol then just adjust the tags correctly so it shoots from his arm for a cool effect.

CraZy_B
08-09-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Matt-Liell
Thank you all for the suggestions, and yes Brodin the arms will change. What I'm building now is the "Basic Elements" like the skeleton on top of a skeleton if you will.:p When I'm finished the whole body like that then I will go in for more extrusions and his armour will start to take shape. Again I'm working in the hopes of a higher polycount hes already over 2000 but its gonna be fine I think, and instead of my idea about the blades coming out of his hands I'm going to model the sword as seen in that pic, also I'm going to model a new model for the bryar plaster pistol to be his arm pistol then just adjust the tags correctly so it shoots from his arm for a cool effect.

And will you be able to use the blade? That would be kool:cool:

Brodin
08-09-2003, 10:58 PM
I was just thinkin that actually...matt, you could probably replace the model for the lightsabre somehow...im sure one of the freaks on these forums knows how ;)

Shotokan
08-10-2003, 03:19 AM
Put the sheath on the model. It'd also be cool if you release the sword along with your model. In my personal opinion I think that sword is tight!

Matt-Liell
08-10-2003, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Brodin
I was just thinkin that actually...matt, you could probably replace the model for the lightsabre somehow...im sure one of the freaks on these forums knows how ;)

Oh I do know how! ;) Ya, everythings going ok with the model, no real updates but I'm adjusting it with the skeleton right now and it seems to be working alright!:)

Hellfire Jedi
08-10-2003, 02:09 PM
If this is going for jk2, let me beta test, please. :D

RaSiN_HeCk
08-10-2003, 09:56 PM
so...uh. you made the referance picture on the first post if you made this up right? cause that's a pretty good picture!

and the model's good too ; P But why would Mandos need a droid to do the killing? and isn't like IG-88 like a prototype assassin droid so his program wouldn't be all across the galaxy? unless these droids are working with the mandos and not solo and ..uh.h.yeah.

well sorry for punching holes all over into your character designs, but I like the model!

so I guess you're not gonna work on Link any more?

Matt-Liell
08-10-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by RaSiN_HeCk
so...uh. you made the referance picture on the first post if you made this up right? cause that's a pretty good picture!

and the model's good too ; P But why would Mandos need a droid to do the killing? and isn't like IG-88 like a prototype assassin droid so his program wouldn't be all across the galaxy? unless these droids are working with the mandos and not solo and ..uh.h.yeah.

well sorry for punching holes all over into your character designs, but I like the model!

so I guess you're not gonna work on Link any more?

Ok to clear up no, I did not make the reference pick but I did make up the story about it being a Mandalorian Assassin Droid.

2. Does it really matter if they needed droids or not?:p Its just a model idea!;)

3. No Links model file was lost when my computer crashed

And 4. A little update for ya, I've decided to remodel the arms however.

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/mattliell/MattsMandalorianAssassindroid3.jpg

RaSiN_HeCk
08-11-2003, 01:10 AM
doubt any one here might agree, but you'd be surprised how many people would care. But that's just what i'm saying, it's just a model ; P

you're modeling his sword too right?

Matt-Liell
08-11-2003, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by RaSiN_HeCk
doubt any one here might agree, but you'd be surprised how many people would care. But that's just what i'm saying, it's just a model ; P

you're modeling his sword too right?

Well I'll make up some kinda back story before the release!:p;)
And yes the sword will be modeled to replace the lightsaber.

Hellfire Jedi
08-11-2003, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Hellfire Jedi

NymKaros
08-11-2003, 12:01 PM

don't spam because that will only lessen your chance of becoming a beta tester of matt-liells model.

i loved your legolas model matt it was spot on exept from the face! hopefully this model will be as good.

Matt-Liell
08-11-2003, 12:04 PM

Sorry guess I missed that post, of course Hellfire, I'll need someone to test it in jk2 if it is finsihed after JA is released but you can test it anyway no matter what!:)

NymKaros
08-11-2003, 12:07 PM
Sorry guess I missed that post, of course Hellfire, I'll need someone to test it in jk2 if it is finsihed after JA is released but you can test it anyway no matter what!:)

so thats your game eh?

*psst, i want to beta test then...*

Hellfire Jedi
08-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Sounds cool Matt.

Matt-Liell
08-11-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by NymKaros
so thats your game eh?

*psst, i want to beta test then...*

Yup JA is gonna be what I play and of course you can beta test aswell.:)

NymKaros
08-11-2003, 12:13 PM
Yup JA is gonna be what I play and of course you can beta test aswell.:)

thanks matt. lets hope JA does not keep you away from finishing this model! ^^

Matt-Liell
08-11-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by NymKaros
thanks matt. lets hope JA does not keep you away from finishing this model! ^^

NO WAY! I'm planning to finish him before it comes out but I am starting highschool in September so I can't promise much but he will be finished if at all possible!:)

Matt-Liell
08-11-2003, 01:33 PM
Heres a little update for ya, the modeling is going pretty well, only the feet arms and hands to go. Then its just a case of fine tuning and skinning.

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/mattliell/MattsMandalorianAssassindroid4.jpg

The Cheat
08-11-2003, 01:53 PM
wow that is looking really sweet, i cant wait to play it

NymKaros
08-11-2003, 03:42 PM
he has legs! praise the power! :p

Shotokan
08-11-2003, 07:36 PM
LoL. Well even if Mandalorians don't need droids to do their work think about it this way... Dash Rendar had a droid right? And it was like his companion. So maybe Mands or whatever used droid partners? Well that's my assumption but it's all up to Matt over there.

If you don't finish this when JA comes out, are you gonna port it over to it?

Matt-Liell
08-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Shotokan
LoL. Well even if Mandalorians don't need droids to do their work think about it this way... Dash Rendar had a droid right? And it was like his companion. So maybe Mands or whatever used droid partners? Well that's my assumption but it's all up to Matt over there.

If you don't finish this when JA comes out, are you gonna port it over to it?

Well my story was they were used as yes either companions or most often as decoys for wars. The Mandos would send out a huge regiment of these droids out while under siege. Then they could evacuate the children safely and pick the opposing forces off by behind and cornering them.

And this model is intended for JA use mostly.

Just a little update the basis is almost complete except the feet but I don't know how to go about it yet but I'm thinking!:p After that I just have to extrude some armour and his modeling is done.

The polycount is a little high for JK2 in its present state but should be just right for JA.

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion2/mattliell/MattsMandalorianAssassindroid6.jpg

Eldritch
08-11-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey Matt, you should try posting this over at the forums at HighEnd 3D (http://www.highend3d.com). They can really help you out (perhaps even moreso than the people around here).

2100 polys for the head, chest and arms is more than a bit high, too. What's with the excessive amount of polys? There's not much detail there... :confused:

Matt-Liell
08-11-2003, 10:57 PM
The detail is all in the head, and thats why I remodelled the arms and body, now its only about 1400 for the head and torso.

One thing thoughm does anybody know any really good UVUwrapping tutorials? All the ones I've read don't work out.

Emon
08-11-2003, 11:07 PM
Yes, there isn't nearly enough detail to justify that poly count. 2,500 for the whole model after adding more detail and making the edges rounder would be expected.

Eldritch
08-12-2003, 01:36 AM
1400 is still high for such a small area, and there's not a lot of detail there. Perhaps a better way to go about it would be to build the basic structure first, then smooth out the areas you want with some spare polys.

Zappa_0
08-12-2003, 02:09 AM
Hey the pic looks good since you just started on it. You defently have alot of work to do. Hope to see this model in JO and JA soon.

Matt-Liell
08-12-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Eldritch
1400 is still high for such a small area, and there's not a lot of detail there. Perhaps a better way to go about it would be to build the basic structure first, then smooth out the areas you want with some spare polys.

Ya well I'm taking a look at my model now and it just doesn't make sense that the poly count is that high because most of the objects are under 100 polys. It seems however that when I added the skeleton to it everything sky-rocketed. I'm doing my best to optimize the model and bring it down considerably in polys and of course model the feet. I'm still trying to find a good working tutorial on UVUnwrapping so "any help here would be hot, hehe!" But ya I agree it doesn't make any sense. An interesting thing I forgot to mention is I put the model into gmax and the polycount was about half of what if was in 3DSM, yet another weird thing. Oh well, I'm working on it!:p

The Cheat
08-12-2003, 04:45 PM
well i hope you are able to get the polycount down on this model, it looks pretty sweet

wedge2211
08-13-2003, 03:00 AM
You know, I think the model-modding abilities of JA will allow you to do the blaster/saber replacements a lot more easily than you're planning now. Let's see what the SDK looks like...

ZBomber
08-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Thats pretty good there Matt. ;)

And, I have no clue what polycounts are. :p

Matt-Liell
08-16-2003, 07:32 PM
Thats ok Z we like ya anyway!;)

HapSlash
08-17-2003, 12:07 AM
I remember a similar problem happening to me on more than one occasion. Once I had about 1400 unaccounted polys in one of the models I'm working on and it was driving me insane,... Eventually after a bit of searching I found that the problem was due to an entire blaster model floating around inside the body, roughly the size of a head of a pin.

While making another model I found an entire object whose surfaces were doubled up, one overlapping the other, that one was really fun to fix.

Matt-Liell
08-17-2003, 01:44 PM
Well I took him apart deleted some polys redid some parts but, alas nothing, its just too much. He doesn't Unwrap very well, and I don't think hes gonna work out.

Sam
08-17-2003, 01:49 PM
Wow thats looks pretty good.I hope you release this one:dozey:

Shotokan
08-21-2003, 06:25 AM
Bummer...

NeoMarz1
09-03-2003, 11:55 PM
Well I took him apart deleted some polys redid some parts but, alas nothing, its just too much. He doesn't Unwrap very well, and I don't think hes gonna work out.

Hey Matt, Mars here. I just wanted to say that I saw your post back at ATOC/TC. On behalf of AOTC I apologize for the crappy comments you got from those guys. It appears you left our forum, I actually had a good comment for you. I think your work is good, and worthy of support. Keep on trying your best, and remember to keep your chin up. Most of the forums are plagued by people who want to bash the talented (probably to make up for thier own misgivings). You are always welcomed back to our forums. By reading your posts, I can tell that you have moved on... I think your work shows promise. My only critique here, is that you increase the bulk of the arms and legs. This will give your model more believable proportions. His head and torso should look like they can be supported by his legs. You might want to make his chin less bulky and maybe make the head a bit smaller. Other than that he looks pretty darn good. By the way, you can edit all the objects, using polychop. Poly chop will reduce the polygon count, and make it so you dont actually have to remove polys by hand. Its really a quick fix. Polychop is for 3D studio max it looks like thats what your using, but maybe you have G-max. Thanks, and best of luck to you. Hope to see this model as a download. Sincerely Mars

Hellfire Jedi
09-04-2003, 12:10 AM
Do not stop on this model, its completly worth doing. I want it, really. Matt, please finish it.

Crowy
09-04-2003, 11:26 AM
matt this is an awesome looking model, continue this project i beg of you!!!

Shotokan
09-13-2003, 05:19 AM
So Matt... How goes the model making process?

RaSiN_HeCk
09-13-2003, 05:42 AM
I thought he quit making it = /

CraZy_B
09-13-2003, 09:35 AM

Well no updates for a long long time.

Shotokan
09-17-2003, 03:50 AM
O yeah I forgot. I believe he said he'd release it for Jedi Academy.

CraZy_B
09-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Well Matt, I dont know if you want to finish this model for JA. but if you do you should check the saber_droid. It has the saber coming out of it's hand. I guess you wanted something like that. You could even eplace that with your assassin droid.