PDA

View Full Version : Still play old games?

HaruGlory89
08-16-2003, 11:38 PM
Do you still play old games? The're still good. I have a friend who only gets games for their graphics but I prefer games that are FUN to play. What about you?

Darth Groovy
08-16-2003, 11:45 PM
*looks around*

I still play Burgertime, and Pac-Man.

*runs off*

BigTeddyPaul
08-16-2003, 11:47 PM
I still play FF7.

BigTeddyPaul

Darklighter
08-17-2003, 12:24 AM
I dug out my old SNES a few weeks ago and played some Super Mario World. Gotta be one of the best games I have ever played. Ever ^^; Need to get out my Mega-Drive and play some original Sonic action, used to love that game so much =D

Sam
08-17-2003, 12:28 AM
Pffft old games who plays those anymore......................me

ckcsaber
08-17-2003, 12:38 AM
The games I play most often are semi-old. Heroes of Might and Magic 2 is a great game..............

Acrylic
08-17-2003, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
*looks around*

I still play Burgertime, and Pac-Man.

*runs off*

Burgertime...sounds REALLY familiar...can you tell me what was the main objective and where I can see some pics of the game?

Guardian Omega
08-17-2003, 01:26 AM
I still play Super Mario World (snes) and SM64 on the 64.

Kurgan
08-17-2003, 01:33 AM
Yeah, I love my old games.. Genesis, Atari 2600, colecovision, Saturn... heck, many of them I bought recently, they're old, but still good!

I love old arcades too, every chance I get to play them I do.

Darth Groovy
08-17-2003, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Acrylic
Burgertime...sounds REALLY familiar...can you tell me what was the main objective and where I can see some pics of the game?

You are a chef, and your objective is to make hamburgers by running across the contents while being chased by hot dogs, pickles, eggs, and tomatoes. You can temporarily stun them by shaking pepper on them. But the object of each level is to finish making the hamburgers before they catch you.

Screenies:

http://www.thelogbook.com/phosphor/arc1/burger2.gif
http://home.earthlink.net/~intvman/manifesto/83Demo/83DH.gif
http://www10.xdsl.ne.jp/~yoshi225/famicon/database/1985_picture/1985_05/85_burgertime.gif

http://www.gamespy.com/halloffame/july02/bt/t_btime2.jpg

http://www.retrogoodness.com/coinops/graphics/burgertime.jpg

Neverhoodian
08-17-2003, 01:44 AM
I got an old Vectrex system back in the mid 90's from a friend of my parents. I remember spending many happy hours playing many classic early 1980's Vectrex games like Scramble!, Armor Attack, Minestorm, (Asteriods clone, but better) and Clean Sweep. (Pac-Man clone) Unfortunately, I can't play it anymore since the control pad has gotten so unresponsive that it's a chore to play anything. I'll always have the fond memories...:p

Redwing
08-17-2003, 01:48 AM
I don't HAVE any old games. :D

Well, unless the Gamecube version of Ocarina of Time counts. (A game which kicks incredible amounts of ass, by the way ^_~)

Acrylic
08-17-2003, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
You are a chef, and your objective is to make hamburgers by running across the contents while being chased by hot dogs, pickles, eggs, and tomatoes. You can temporarily stun them by shaking pepper on them. But the object of each level is to finish making the hamburgers before they catch you.

Screenies:

http://www.thelogbook.com/phosphor/arc1/burger2.gif
http://home.earthlink.net/~intvman/manifesto/83Demo/83DH.gif
http://www10.xdsl.ne.jp/~yoshi225/famicon/database/1985_picture/1985_05/85_burgertime.gif

http://www.gamespy.com/halloffame/july02/bt/t_btime2.jpg

http://www.retrogoodness.com/coinops/graphics/burgertime.jpg

O
M
G
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

I LOVED THAT GAME! AND I STILL DO! (But I lost my NES games ....:()

Darklighter
08-17-2003, 02:32 AM
Originally posted by Redwing
Well, unless the Gamecube version of Ocarina of Time counts. (A game which kicks incredible amounts of ass, by the way ^_~)

You officially rock, Red man ^_~ I loved that game sooo much, and I so wanted them to make a sequel for the GC based on the same look/feel of that game, it was amazing n_n; Best RPG I ever played. Other RPGs I still play are Final Fantasy 8/10 and Harvest Moon: Back To Nature for Playstation (that game is sooo fun...never spent so much of my time playing a game before, ever ^^;).

legameboy
08-17-2003, 02:40 AM
If the Command and Conquer and Starcraft series count, yes. :D

Jed
08-17-2003, 02:54 AM
How about all the old Sonic games? On Genesis...I fired it up a few weeks ago and had a blast. Best old games :)

Tesla
08-17-2003, 02:57 AM
I loved Orcarina Of Time and now i can play the unreleased Master Quest version on my GC, i think that i will start playing it through tomorrow :)

Other classic games i used to play were all of the Sonic games man i used to love those, i was a Sonic nut :D

ZBomber
08-17-2003, 03:05 AM
Ah, Jed, I play Sonic on Sega too, I had all of them (even 3D and Pinball) :)

Tesla
08-17-2003, 03:09 AM
Ah, Jed, I play Sonic on Sega too, I had all of them (even 3D and Pinball) :)

For some stupid reason i have Sonic 3D for the PC, god knows why i have it :rolleyes:

Darklighter
08-17-2003, 03:28 AM
A year or so ago, I lost Sonic 3 (my favourite Sonic game of them all x_x), and couldn't find it anywhere. So, I went out and shelled out loadsa cash on The Sonic And Knuckles Collection, with both Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3. I dunno what it was, it just didn't have the same feel that the Mega-Drive/Genesis version of the game did. It's now collecting dust on my shelf...*sniffle* ;_;

Tesla
08-17-2003, 03:49 AM
What platform was that for ?, i think they released it for the DC, but now i think they've released a Sonic Collection for the GC, not to sure about that though, but IMO they need to stay on the Megadrive because thats were they belong :)

Jed
08-17-2003, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by Darklighter
A year or so ago, I lost Sonic 3 (my favourite Sonic game of them all x_x), and couldn't find it anywhere. So, I went out and shelled out loadsa cash on The Sonic And Knuckles Collection, with both Sonic and Knuckles and Sonic 3. I dunno what it was, it just didn't have the same feel that the Mega-Drive/Genesis version of the game did. It's now collecting dust on my shelf...*sniffle* ;_;

Aww...

*huggles his copy of Sonic 3 extra tight for Darky* ;)

The Cheat
08-17-2003, 04:57 AM
i dont really play those old games much any more, once in a blue moon i may pull some out and load them up but not often

Kain
08-17-2003, 06:44 AM
I still play...the original...the masterpiece...Final Fantasy. I'm talking you get 4 members with 4 digit names like Luke or something. Fighter, Thief, Black Belt, Red Mage, White Mage, and Black Mage. The game is great, what can I say? Made by Squaresoft back when they were just Square Entertainment. And to think, Dragon Warrior was supposed to be the big game! AHHHH HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...I'm done.

HaruGlory89
08-17-2003, 08:08 AM
Yeah, old stuff rocks.

Kylilin
08-17-2003, 08:29 AM
Burgertime was the bomb.

Its not that old, but I just broke out Final fantasy VII for old times sake.

This thread makes me wish I had a copy of Blades of Steel.
But I guess I'll settle for Streets of Rage 2, which, by the way, is also the bomb.

|GG|Carl
08-17-2003, 09:20 AM
NES!!!

It's sooooo funny! I really like the graphics!

The best games are Final Fantasy1 an Megaman!!!
They rock! :rock:

Darklighter
08-17-2003, 11:44 AM
Mydnight, Globens - you guys actually have the original FF? o.o;

*tries to resist the urge to murder you and steal the game*

Think...happy...thoughs...

^^;

StormHammer
08-17-2003, 12:12 PM
I've never owned an old console, but over the years there are very few games I've discarded for the PC over the years. I still have a few of the older games that I first played on PC...

Wolfenstein 3D
Eye Of The Beholder 1, 2 and 3
Lands Of Lore
Betrayal At Krondor
Ultima Underworld
Monkey Island 2 (can't play it because half the mojo wheel thing is missing)
Dark Forces
Doom 1, 2 and Final Doom
Heretic
Hexen
Take No Prisoners
Blade Runner

I've got some old copies of Pac Man, Space Invaders, Lemmings, Prince Of Persia and some others as well, somewhere.

I'm actually playing through Hexen II again right now - because I can't remember completing it. For Hexen, Heretic and Doom I use the engine mods for those games...Doom Legacy or JDoom, for example.

The bottom line is...I still fire up these games now and then, because they are still good games to play even today.

Mex
08-17-2003, 12:14 PM
My favorite old game was Metal Slug for the playstation! I used to play that all the time.

*falls over and has a fit in exitement*

Kstar__2
08-17-2003, 12:39 PM
does an atari count as old? or just as ancient?

cuz i still play that one :D

Darklighter
08-17-2003, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Blade Runner

I remember when my brother lent that to me in '97...was one of the best point-and-click adventures I'd ever played. Great story, voice acting was kewl, and the fact it was even remotely linked to the film was a good enough reason to play it ^_^

Lemmings 2: The Tribes, I got for Amiga way back. Fantastic title, so enjoyable to play, it makes me wanna dig up the system again ^^ I also remember playing games like Operation Stealth and Trolls on the Amiga. Good times =]

Also, I know it's not that old, but I think Grim Fandango is worth a mention. Best graphic adventure. Ever. And only Lucasarts could come up with something like that:DIf you haven't played it, do at some point, it's well worth a look;)

Kstar__2
08-17-2003, 02:13 PM
really? i tried the demo, but i was a bit dissapointed in it..:confused:

Reclaimer
08-17-2003, 02:14 PM
I entered a contest and I got the old arcade fly down the Death Star Arcade game and the Epicoide One the Phamtom Menise Arcade Game.

Lost Welshman
08-17-2003, 02:26 PM
*ahem*

Monkey Island!

The first 3 games were wicked.

They went for 3d graphics on the fourth so it was a bit pooey.

Sam
08-17-2003, 02:29 PM
I think my favorite nes game would be Balloon Fight. Hours and hours of that game.

Darth Groovy
08-17-2003, 02:53 PM
O
M
G
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

I LOVED THAT GAME! AND I STILL DO! (But I lost my NES games ....:()

That was not NES, that was for the Intellivision Gameing system,

Here is a picture of it:
http://www.computersmuseum.com/images/Mattel/intellivisionIIgif.gif

However, if you still have a playstation, it is on this version of the arcade's greatest hits:

http://www.psxa2z.com/gpgs/BT0051.html

coupes.
08-17-2003, 03:51 PM
I beleive it was also available for the NES as I remeber playing it and never owned an Intellivision.

I still play the X-wing and tie fighter games on my PC...

but what everytime we go for a beer at my friends we play some good old 'Ice Hockey' action. Man that game rocks soooooo much!

KBell
08-17-2003, 04:16 PM
Any of the Leasuire Suit Larry games or maybe the X-Com games are my fav old ones. I ALWAYS loved X-Com, but it was a hard game for me for some reason :p

Neverhoodian
08-17-2003, 07:57 PM
Dunno if this is old enough, but I still play Jedi Knight. Gotta love Force Destruction.:D

ZBomber
08-17-2003, 08:23 PM
Ug... I wish I lived back in the old time, waiting for more NES games to come out. NES just had fun games..... :(

Gettings games these days just isn't the same :cry8:

coupes.
08-18-2003, 02:13 AM
Z, you probably meant SNES as the last NES games released in America were released in 1994 I beleive... do the math :p ;)

ZBomber
08-18-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
Z, you probably meant SNES as the last NES games released in America were released in 1994 I beleive... do the math :p ;)

I know, but I still got games for it after it ended. ;)

Sadly, I never had a SNES. :(

gorganfloss
08-18-2003, 03:59 AM
Ive had my old NES plugged into my tv since forever. So ya, I still play old games.

Acrylic
08-18-2003, 04:02 AM
Originally posted by Gorgan
Ive had my old NES plugged into my tv since forever. So ya, I still play old games.
Hey Floss! Haven't seen ya in a long time. :) How ya been doing?

*on topic*
I loved Duck Tales for NES :)

gorganfloss
08-18-2003, 04:08 AM
Hey Floss! Haven't seen ya in a long time. :) How ya been doing?

I, Gorgan, have been spending my summer with my friends. And its not like me being gone a bunch has damaged the forum, since I am a horrible poster.:D

And Id have to say taht my favorite old NES game is Super Mario Brothers 3. I just started playing it the other day in fact. And it has made me remember how much I used to suck at it.:rolleyes:

The Count
08-18-2003, 11:23 AM
I LOVE Old Games, I'm an avid fan of the Dark Forces Mod, and recently purchased the Sonic Mega Collection for the Game Cube, and I have the Sonic and Knuckles Collection on PC, (I had it on Mega Drive but sold it :()

I have countless ROMS and Emulators for all the great Systems.

I am going to reinstall Lemmings in a couple of days.

I have every Star Wars game for the PC aswell, and I still play them.

The game I haven't been able to get hold of though and play again is Sonic CD I was gutted when it wasn't on the Mega Collection :(.

Oh and I have bought the Microsoft Return and Revenge of Arcade Software packs.

I love nostalgia, I am the most nostalgic person I know.

I also love loads of old music and films (anyone heard of the original Star Wars trilogy.)

Darklighter
08-18-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by The Count
...and I have the Sonic and Knuckles Collection on PC...

Aye, same here, though it's not the same as the Mega Drive version, I didn't get hooked on it so much:(

Damn, I need to get ahold of Lemmings 2 somehow, that was one of my favourite games, I miss playing it so much ;_;

The Count
08-18-2003, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Darklighter
Aye, same here, though it's not the same as the Mega Drive version, I didn't get hooked on it so much:(

Damn, I need to get ahold of Lemmings 2 somehow, that was one of my favourite games, I miss playing it so much ;_;

Yeah thats true, do you know that if you have a computer with a processor over 1000 mhz, it plays super fast? So I can't play it anymore

The Game Cube version though is pretty addictive.

For Lemmings 2, how about getting a decent Snes Emulator which supports mouse control and use a ROM for that.

I got Lemmings for Windows 95 and Oh No More Lemmings, great games!

I also had the original MSDOS version aswell, that was cool.

Kurgan
08-20-2003, 05:28 AM
Programs exist to slow down old programs, like MoSlo...

Did you try any of those?

The Count
08-20-2003, 08:09 AM
Umm no, I really can't be bothered now seeing as I have Sonic 3 and Knuckles on the Game Cube.

Arán
08-20-2003, 03:20 PM
Super Nintendo's Batman I still play

*hides behind the chair*

Seph
08-21-2003, 07:37 AM
I sure do, I play all the luffia games, looking for ff7 for the pc, and i dug up a lupin the third game for my SNES emulater. i also play megaman x games and other megaman games and mario, and duck hunt and sonic games, yea you know the good stuff.:cool:

BongoBob
08-21-2003, 07:41 AM
I have emulators for snes, genesis, sega cd, 32X,nes, gameboy, all the old ones and the classics.
I just recently found my old 32x and was pissed that I was missing a crucial cord. So I found an emulator, and the roms of all the ggood ones(AKA Knuckles chaotix)
My all time favorite old games are...
Mario 3-NES
Sonic 3-Genesis
Sonic and Knuckles-Genesis
Sonic Spinball-Genesis
Kirby-NES
Sim City-SNES

Too many to list here, but that's a sample;)

Seph
08-21-2003, 07:53 AM
you and i think alike, anyways, my brain is nagging me to get legend of zelda for the nes, i dunno though

KBell
08-21-2003, 02:47 PM
i think i downloaded a couple emulators a long time ago, but i think i deleted them. I should probly re-download some :p

Seph
08-21-2003, 03:10 PM
emulators and roms (http://cherryroms.com)

KBell
08-21-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the Link Seph, im downloading right now :D

|GG|Carl
08-21-2003, 04:45 PM
^Legal stuff?

KBell
08-21-2003, 04:50 PM
Emulators ARE legal, and i specified that i wanted an Emulator :rolleyes:

coupes.
08-21-2003, 05:32 PM
Emulators ARE legal, as are ROMS, but as long long as you own the original copy of the game. If you don't own it you are not supposed to keep the game longer than 24 hours on your HD. So better be careful about what you post, you don't want trouble, dou you?:p

ZBomber
08-21-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
Emulators ARE legal, as are ROMS, but as long long as you own the original copy of the game. If you don't own it you are not supposed to keep the game longer than 24 hours on your HD. So better be careful about what you post, you don't want trouble, dou you?:p

Nah, thats bull****. Read the Video Game Manuals. You may not copy this, even if you own the game. Therefore, roms and emulators are Illegal. Lets not go off topic, start a flame war, and get this thread closed now. ;)

The Count
08-21-2003, 10:05 PM
BongoBob could you do me a favour and point me in the way of the 32X and Sega CD Emulators via PM; I need them so I can get my Sonic CD game.

BongoBob
08-21-2003, 10:21 PM
It's called gens, I think. Look on a program like kazaa for them, they're bound to be on there.

topshot
08-21-2003, 11:02 PM
Gens, where have I found the site for downloading that thing? The name rings a bell.......

But anyways, I kind of had a thing for Street Fighter 2: Championship Edition back when I had a Sega, and I also happen to have a copy of Mortal Kombat 4 for the PC (never play it anymore), and I still happen to have Batman Returns, Sonic 2, Earthworm Jim, X-Men, Spider-Man, and Mortal Kombat II for Genesis as well.

*sighs* My, those were times. Wish I could relive those days..........

Darth Rythe
08-21-2003, 11:11 PM
The only game I play the is old is the first Escape Velocity.

Seph
08-22-2003, 03:26 AM
hey bro, i threw those away.:(

Elegy
08-22-2003, 03:34 AM
The emulators are not illegal. But the roms for them are.

That said, I still bust out the old-school games every once in awhile. I've got emulators for NES, SNES, Genesis, and Atari and just about every worthwhile game for each system.

As far as the PC goes, I still bust out the old TIE Fighter, X-wing, Dark Forces, DOOM, Duke Nukem 3D, etc.

If you guys want a rare PC classic check out System Shock 2. It's not old old, but it's been long enough for the game to have been forgotten. Probably mainly because its developer, Looking Glass Studios, is out of business. But this is hands down the freakiest damn game I've ever played. Screw stuff like Resident Evil (which really isn't all that freaky despite what people claim), or the Silent Hill series (which actually is a pretty good contender). System Shock 2 is by far the best thriller I've ever played.

You wake up on this ship and you have no clue what's going on. The ship was supposed to be a test vessel for faster-than-light speeds. Apparently you volunteered for some experimental and highly illegal cybernetic surgery as some last-ditch effort to save the ship from whatever unfortunate fate has befallen it. The only problem is that the memory restoration in the medical tank you're in failed just as it was restoring the past two or so weeks of your memory. Thus your cluelessness as to what's befallen the ship. All you know is that there's blood, and dead bodies all over the place. A few poeple have hung themselves. You find one body sitting against the wall with a shotgun sitting upright in his lap. It leans against his chest and the barrel is pointed upwards. Where his head used to be is just a bunch of buckshot and a blood spatter on the wall. If you find anyone alive, you find them just getting killed.

But out of all the thriller-survivor games out there, this one does the best job of making you feel tiny, insignificant, and alone. There's no mega killing weapon that you can pick up near the end of the game. You never get that invincible feeling. You do have a mysterious ally to help you out over a comlink for about half the game. But you never meet anyone in person that's alive. You just find old logs and e-mails of doomed people talking about things they've seen, or things they'd planned to do to fight for their lives (clues for you to finish what they'd started if you want to live, because they're too dead to do it now). Its a pain in the ass to find enough ammo so you're left conserving your shots and shooting straight and accurate. And crap jumps out at you from no-where. Even worse, the enemies have the capability to open the doors on their own, and if you decide to run instead of fighting, they'll chase you down. The only way to escape them without killing them is to go up to the next deck. See, the game isn't divided by individual levels. You're on one ship, divided up by it's different decks. Engineering, Medical, Hydroponics, Command Deck, Recreational Deck, etc. You have to go back and forth to accomplish various tasks. And the enemies have free roam of each deck.

But what puts you on edge so much is the fact that you can hear them in the next room, or above you, or below you. You don't know where it's at. You just hear ominous footsteps, and a creepy inhuman voice that says things like "Your flesh betrays you!" "You cannot hide forever! We seek! We find!" They hunt your ass down, and you'd better have the ammo to take it on. You'd better find it, before it finds you or else you won't see it coming.

Yes, good stuff. Good stuff.

XERXES
08-22-2003, 03:39 AM
no, I dont really play old games anymore...they are all collecting dust in the attic at home.

Darth Eggplant
08-22-2003, 04:05 AM
I use to have a Matel Intelevision game with several games and those replacable key pad templates which display what keys worked for different games, I also had an old Atari box thing. Mario and Mario 2 whatever they were called. Some computer geek wanted them a few years ago, so I sold them, I have no idea what they are or were worth. an Atari with 2 games, and a Matel Intelevision with 9 games something like that. old dusty and looking well old. he gave me $125.00 for them. and since they had no value for me and I was eventually going to sell them for nothing at a garage sale, I said okay. they were neat to play and bring back certain found memories of childhood and all, but I like playing the games they make now a days much more.

KBell
08-22-2003, 01:09 PM
I just remembered another game i play, its on the Playstation and its called Tactics Ogre. I am SO addicted to this game because of its depth and strategy involved. You all should ry it ^_^ it hads a FANTASTIC story.

Darth Rythe
08-23-2003, 10:31 AM
and warcraft