PDA

View Full Version : Linux

The Cheat
09-06-2003, 04:42 PM
I just wanted to know who in the threads has or is running Linux.

I am currently downloading Mandrake for my computer and plan to do a dual boot with windows.

Please tell me the distributions you have tried and any gripes or great things about them

Datheus
09-07-2003, 01:23 AM
I downloaded RedHat once.. still have it. Didn't work to well for me, still havn't gotten used to it. I'm back to only Windows, but I have LNX-BBC (http://www.lnx-bbc.org/) and Knoppix (http://www.knoppix.org) on CD. They're self contained so they run right off the disc. You don't have to actually install it onto your hard drive. Very useful. :)

BongoBob
09-07-2003, 06:06 AM
I'm probably the only one here that doesn't know this, but what is linux? I've heard about it, but I don't exactly know what it is.

Tyrion
09-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Linix is basically just another OS system. Based off Unix(of which I have no experience of..then again,I dont have experience in Linix besides talk from my brother and dad). It allows more freedom in what you can do(mandrake linux is more user-friendly, not sure on redhat). It will look alot like the Mac, since OS X is based off Unix.

On that hand, my dad is going to use old parts around here to make a linux computer. Yay. Now I will know how head-bashing hard linux is. :p

Javva the Hutt
09-07-2003, 08:36 AM
Good choice.

Im running a dual-boot with Win98SE(most stable MS OS) and Mandrake.

Installing was kinda difficult. Had to refer online to Linux.com for some help (try the install FAQ). But once that was done. I went to penquin.com and got some updates for WINE and the complete list of 'converted' applications. Everything runs perfectly. Compiling is a snap in Linux BTW.

Now I run mainly everything on Linux. With the exception of MS Office stuff. For some reason it isn't too stable in WinE. Of well.

Good luck.

Samuel Dravis
09-07-2003, 06:29 PM
Javva, are you able to run any d3d games in linux?

matt--
09-07-2003, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Now I will know how head-bashing hard linux is. :p
Why would you want to head bash? It's a binary.

The Cheat
09-07-2003, 09:10 PM
i tried installing mandrake but it screwed up my entire system and i had to reinstall windows and format my hard drive so i wont try linux again for a while

matt--
09-07-2003, 09:51 PM
You probably deleted your windows partition, The Cheat.

The Cheat
09-07-2003, 10:39 PM
it had both of them there, when it came up with the windows xp loading screen my computer would just restart, oh well, its all working now