View Full Version : Elevators (One Question)
09-07-2003, 07:06 PM
I have gotten the elevator to work but it only goes a certain hieght. Is there a way to make it go farther to one other spot then back again. I have seen in the entities that the set "move" is defaulted at "8" is this where i change it and if so how. I know this is possible for seeing it in other maps like "jabba" please help:confused:
09-07-2003, 09:09 PM
You should check out RichDiesal's func_plat tutorial (http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/br201lsn6.html). Basically, you use the "height" key to specify how much the platform will move.
For a fully functional elevator, after you've got the theory behind func_plats down in a test map, check out my automatic elevator tutorial (http://jk2review.ravencommunity.net/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=4).
09-07-2003, 09:52 PM
SWEETNESS! hey guy thanks for the 2 links i know this is what i have been looking for and im sure it will help. TY:D
09-11-2003, 08:08 PM
Func_plats are evil! Don't ever use them!!!!
Here's what I do:
First off, make sure you have both JKII Editing Tools 1 and 2.
(This is how to make an elevator that's going to go down)
1) Now, make a brush that is going to be your elevator. Now, deselect it. Don't do anything to it yet.
2) Place a ref_tag on one corner of the platform and targetname it "elevator_up". Place another ref_tag in the same corner but drop it to the place you want it to stop below. Targetname this tag "elevator_down"
3) Place an origin brush (that's a normal brush with the origin shader) in the same place and the same size as the ref_tag named "elevator_up" (where your platform is). Don't worry about it being inside the elevator brush.
4) Now, keep your origin brush selected and select the brush that's you'r elevator platform. Right click and make them a func_static.
5) Press "N" and add a soundset with a value of "impdoor1" or whatever. Here's the important part! script_targetname it elevator1!!!
6) Now, add a trigger_multiple near the elevator where you'll be walking to it and have it target a target_scriptrunner. Select the target_scriptrunner ONLY and hit "N". Under key, type "usescript" and under value, type "elevator1_script".
7) Add lights and compile. Close JKIIRadiant and open BehavEd. Add the following lines to your script:
affect ( "elevator1", /*@AFFECT_TYPE*/ FLUSH )
move ( $tag("elevator_down",ORIGIN)$, $<0 0 0>$, 4000.000 );
wait ( 6000.000 );
move ( $tag("elevator_up",ORIGIN)$, $<0 0 0>$, 4000.000 );
Save it and compile it as "elevator1_script" under the scripts directory.
Remember, you script_targetnamed the func_static "elevator1". This script affects it and tells it to wait 1 second, move to the ref_tag named "elevator_down" in four seconds, wait four seconds, then move to the ref_tag named "elevator_up" in four seconds. The tag named "elevator_up" is placed in the original resting position that the elevator was found in. Get it?
It's a bit more complicated than using a func_plat, but it'll get easier. Plus, this makes a two way elevator that doesn't wait nor care if the player gets off or not.
To make an elevator that goes up and then goes down, reverse the process.
09-12-2003, 11:36 AM
You know, Whitesaber, if he needed an explanation for how to do it for SP, that'd be perfect. But I think he needed MP (which he already got).
You can't run scripts in MP. :D
09-12-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by Whitesaber
...Plus, this makes a two way elevator that doesn't wait nor care if the player gets off or not.
Well, so will my method. :)
Eldritch's already made the "scripts don't work in MP" comment, so I won't. And...there's really no difference between the scripted method and the trigger_multiple method unless you want to do advanced stuff like make the elevator stop in multiple locations, or travel on nonstraight paths, or wait for conditions, etc, etc, which only works in scripted SP maps.
09-12-2003, 04:10 PM
Hey yeah i have my elevators up and running finding out how easy it really was. Thanks for the explanation whitesabre but yeah i needed MP i should have said that at first. Thanks for all who helped.;) :D
09-15-2003, 06:09 PM
:( *Sigh* It took me like twelve minutes to type that thing! Oh well, I was just eager to help out. :cool:
09-15-2003, 08:31 PM
hey white sabre i really appreciate the time it took u to explain that i will say otherwise form now on if im talking about mp or sp so sry for the trouble, and thanks for being so eager to help. :)
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.