PDA

View Full Version : The Emperor's n00b Groove


Darth Eggplant
09-09-2003, 02:02 PM
(I wonder if maybe if this idea has any merit
a mod or an admin could sticky it?)

welcome one and all or rather all you n00b's to da Swamp!
the Lucas Forums Community is always getting n00b members
and most times, the said n00b will post a thread introducing themselves. and again most times, already established Swampies will kill themselves, Spaming in an effort to seem boufont and poofy. anyhow other members grind their teeth going "not another n00b thread. well if it has not been done before, why not have a n00b thread for all n00b's to post in when they arrive. it can be yet another unread sticky post like the rules. it can also be an optortunity for mods to point out to n00b and old swamp members alike: the forums rule, but in a poofy and boufont kind of way. anyhow it's a passing fancy this vegetable byproduct had.

so to start the thread out:

welcome Jenny Chen from Beijing China!

my name is Darth Eggplant and actually I live in Toronto Canada
and even though Bejiing outbid us for the Olympics I welcome you!:D (and actually I did not want them here) they were plannning to build the bicycle event near my home, and public transportation would have been a nightmare.
so welcome oh sarlacy one to da swamp
:jawa Utinni!:jawa

BongoBob
09-09-2003, 02:06 PM
Good idea eggy. This will help clear up the swamp a bit, especially when JA comes out. Welcome. You're from china! I always wanted to go there, you lucky bastard! j/k:p
Welcome, and nice beach gag you pulled too.

Darth Groovy
09-09-2003, 02:51 PM
This thread has a potential to get ugly in a hurry. As an active member of the LFJA Jedi Council, it is FORBIDDEN for us to use the term n00b towards new and active members. As a personal note, I find the term n00b to be insulting. After all, we all started somewhere. Using the term n00b towards new members is just as childish as making fun of "Freshmen" in high school, and most people come to these forums to get away from that sort of nonsense.

I don't see any real harm in an introductory thread, it gives old members a chance to introduce themselves and makes the "new member" feel warm and welcome. Also, just because someone joins the forums today, does not mean they have not played the game until today, or better yet, belonged to another older forum. Even though I only joined LF last year, I belonged to 2 other forums prior to that. Just food for thought...

I'll keep an eye on this thread, and see if it works or not, however, I see little reason to stick it.

Sivy
09-09-2003, 02:51 PM
doesn't the word n00b sound dirty... like its the name for a third nipple or something... mmmmmmmmm nipple er.. anyway

yeah good idea eggy, although i think it has been tried once or twice before and both times failed miserably. but you never know

good luck to you! :cheers:

XERXES
09-09-2003, 02:58 PM
STAB TEH NEWBIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!










jk. I love "newbie" though, it sounds funny.

KBell
09-09-2003, 03:04 PM
I dont think theres anything wrong with the word Noob, as long as you dont use it as an insult.


I still know a couple people on these forums who have atleast 500 posts and i still consider them noobs on the way they act ;)

ZBomber
09-09-2003, 06:36 PM
I like the idea for teh thread. I pearsoanlly think that having a LFJA rule as not callign someone a noob is kinda starnge. Not many people take real offence from it ro anything.

Sam Fisher
09-09-2003, 09:15 PM
Nice idea Eggy, hope it works out for you.

Father Torque
09-09-2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I like the idea for teh thread. I pearsoanlly think that having a LFJA rule as not callign someone a noob is kinda starnge. Not many people take real offence from it ro anything.

Nice spelling Z :p starnge:D

Welcome Jenny Chen from Beijing, China. To the absolutely most addictive forum on the planet. I am Father Torque creator of the forum famous Father Torque Foundation. The FTF is now on display somewhere onanother page of the swamp closed and sinking its way down farther and farther into the depths of the swamp. Anywho, a little bout myself.

Name: Father Torque
Age: 13
Food: Chicken
Height: 5'7
Weight: 119
Other: I love KFC, I have a 4 pack (working on the six ):p . I am known around here as ft, torque, torquenator, the colonel and many other names. I am refered to as the "nice guy" round here. I am willing to help new people around the forums.

I see you have chosen to set foot in the JediKnight Series forums. For a tour of the jediknight series forums. {Formally Jediknightii.net. Click here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39026) to get a brief description of the forums. Courtesy of StormHammer:) .

If you have any more questions about the forums. Feel free to ask me or any other one of us.

Also if you want structered help. Go to the Lucas Forums Jedi Academy. Simply make a thread stating that you would like a "Master" then when a person replies follow there guidlines and teachings. You will graduate at 700 posts, and you may become a master and take on a padawan when you reach 1000 posts.

Have Fun!

Darth Eggplant
09-09-2003, 10:00 PM
i did not know the word n00b was bad, it just sort of went with that cross cultural pop thing; a movie called the emperor's new groove\a thread called the emperor's n00b groove\a mod (inside joke called darth groovy\myself being a darth also. anyhow no offense meant to anyone, i have seen others use the word and thought it was just part of the cyber vernacular that's all.

anyhow I still say hi! to any new members.:)

ZBomber
09-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Father Torque
Nice spelling Z :p starnge:D

Welcome Jenny Chen from Beijing, China. To the absolutely most addictive forum on the planet. I am Father Torque creator of the forum famous Father Torque Foundation. The FTF is now on display somewhere onanother page of the swamp closed and sinking its way down farther and farther into the depths of the swamp. Anywho, a little bout myself.

Name: Father Torque
Age: 13
Food: Chicken
Height: 5'7
Weight: 119
Other: I love KFC, I have a 4 pack (working on the six ):p . I am known around here as ft, torque, torquenator, the colonel and many other names. I am refered to as the "nice guy" round here. I am willing to help new people around the forums.

I see you have chosen to set foot in the JediKnight Series forums. For a tour of the jediknight series forums. {Formally Jediknightii.net. Click here (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39026) to get a brief description of the forums. Courtesy of StormHammer:) .

If you have any more questions about the forums. Feel free to ask me or any other one of us.

Also if you want structered help. Go to the Lucas Forums Jedi Academy. Simply make a thread stating that you would like a "Master" then when a person replies follow there guidlines and teachings. You will graduate at 700 posts, and you may become a master and take on a padawan when you reach 1000 posts.

Have Fun!

I find it hard to believe your 5'7 :dozey: :rolleyes:

And, yeh. I have a headache. I don't feel like checking over my spelling, espicially after a long day at school. :mad:

KBell
09-09-2003, 10:27 PM
Meh, i can believe he's 5'7. A Freshman in my Spanish 2 class is about 6'2. No joke. He's a beast :p

Father Torque
09-09-2003, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by KBell
Meh, i can believe he's 5'7. A Freshman in my Spanish 2 class is about 6'2. No joke. He's a beast :p

Hehe, my freind in 8th grade has a size 17 shoe and is 6'5 now he is a beast :D

And ya im 5'7 .Grew 2 inches this summer. Kinda hard to believe. But i am having the biggest growth spirts (right word?), ever. But i have to alwya suffer through sever leg cramps and stuff:( . But a ton of guys at my school in my grade are over 5'7. Im like medium to tall.:)

And Z, i was just kidding;) . I know what you is going through. On Sunday I got a forearm waped across my bruise from a concussion. Talk about a headache:p

Darth Groovy
09-10-2003, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I like the idea for teh thread. I pearsoanlly think that having a LFJA rule as not callign someone a noob is kinda starnge. Not many people take real offence from it ro anything.

Well, your not in the LFJA, so you don't understand our mission.

wassup
09-13-2003, 01:07 AM
Hey I'm from Beijing too...:D

I dont want to let you down Eggplant but threads like these have been made a gazillion times in the past and most have not sticked around. Maybe this one will turn out to be an oddity...

TiBo
09-14-2003, 11:12 PM
Off Topic: Torque, is 5'7 tall for where you live? At my school im about 6'2 and almost everyone is taller then me!

ckcsaber
09-15-2003, 01:16 AM
Hmmm...

This thread, like most "n00b" introduction threads, has become rampant with "regulars" posting, and the "n00bz" posting a small amount.

{Upon closer inspection}

With the exception of Eggy's and Torque's posts, all others seem pretty much off topic (this one included).

Therefore, this threads purpose is being overcome by the traits it was trying to prevent. It has fallen towards the basic instinct of any thread in the Swamp.

Spammage.

Interesting, ain't it?

:D

ckcsaber
09-15-2003, 01:32 AM
Hmmm...

This thread, like most "n00b" introduction threads, has become rampant with "regulars" posting, and the "n00bz" posting a small amount.

{Upon closer inspection}

With the exception of Eggy's and Torque's posts, all others seem pretty much off topic (this one included).

Therefore, this threads purpose is being overcome by the traits it was trying to prevent. It has fallen towards the basic instinct of any thread in the Swamp.

Spammage.

Interesting, ain't it?

:D