PDA

View Full Version : New Stormtroopers? *Spoilers*

MMP
09-13-2003, 08:46 PM
Look here. (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jediacademy/screens.html?page=94)

These look like Zero-G Stormtroopers, does anyone know for sure?

Tie Pilot
09-13-2003, 08:55 PM
theres been alot of speculation over those enemys since the new site, some say they are darktroopers some zero g, ill go with darktroopers if you have played dark forces you will see what i mean.:D

TK-8252
09-13-2003, 09:18 PM
God those guys are huge!

Here's what starwars.com says about Zero-G Stormtroopers http://starwars.com/databank/organization/spacetroopers/eu.html

Here's what starwars.com says about Dark troopers http://starwars.com/databank/droid/darktroopers/eu.html

After opening the assets0.pk3 file in the demo, there is an NPC file for a "Hazardtrooper" that uses the concussion rifle, so they might be called "Hazardtroopers" in JA.

TiBo
09-13-2003, 10:07 PM
One thing's for sure, those guys are freaking huge. But i think they are droids, look how big they are compared to the rodian, no human could fit in that snugly enough to be able to move his arms without controls. Its either a droid-trooper, or a mech with a gun inside operating controls.

Sam Fisher
09-13-2003, 10:14 PM
Its like the "Incredible hulking Stormtroopers":p

Kurgan
09-13-2003, 10:33 PM
Well the Zero G Spacetroopers use powered armor and they're supposed to be able to take on capital ships (in large enough numbers).

But I never realized they were THAT big. In the shots on the official site they don't look so huge... I guess they were farther away?

Tie Pilot
09-13-2003, 10:54 PM
actually i changed my mind, look at the way the guys in the picture have backpacks for air maybe??, why would a robot have a backpack for air??? They wouldnt need one.

Kurgan
09-13-2003, 11:40 PM
As I pointed out with the first space trooper pic (from the LA site) they also have the familiar breathmasks and air hoses you'd associated with a human in a suit (aka: Tie Pilots, AT AT Drivers, Stormtroopers, etc).

Dark Troopers are powered shells that can hold humans or droids, but these to me look more like the Space Troopers.

The thing is, the two times we've seen them, they are on the ground. Spacetroopers are supposedly to be plodding on land and would make easy targets.

Perhaps you are taking them out before they can get into space to wreck havoc on somebody's ship?

The Cheat
09-13-2003, 11:57 PM
wow, its so big, looks very awesome, i would go with zero-g but it may be a hazard trooper, we will see

TK-8252
09-14-2003, 12:10 AM
It's probably not a Dark trooper or a Zero-G Stormtrooper, it's probably a new thing for JA. If it was a Zero-G Stormtrooper or a Dark trooper, it wouldn't be called a Hazardtrooper. But no matter what they are, I'm gonna dread fighting them.

TiBo
09-14-2003, 12:16 AM
I just hope they dont have any cortosis in the armor.

Kiroth21
09-14-2003, 12:40 AM
looks like mobile suits to me
1 thing that bothers me is that they're holding concussion(i might haved spelled that wrong)rifles and i dont like them(in the hands of an enemy that is:D )...wonder what conc. rifles will be like in MP

]

ImmolatedYoda
09-14-2003, 02:11 AM
yes, those are "Hazard Troopers"...obviously some new enemy for JA (although they may be based off of space troopers). and dear GOD do they look awesome! :)

Prime
09-14-2003, 02:35 AM
They had zero-g stormtroopers in X-Wing Alliance. These don't really look like those guys :) Ungraded version maybe?

TK-8252
09-14-2003, 03:50 AM
I saw a screenshot of the new Saber Droid, and the Hazardtrooper looks a lot like it.

King Jezuz Pie
09-14-2003, 06:03 AM
TK8252MJL, the Hazardtrooper doesn't look anything like the saberdroid... :D

And the Hazardtrooper is definitely NOT a Spacetrooper! I got a Spacetrooper action figure and they look nothing alike... ;)

Crow_Nest
09-14-2003, 06:07 AM
They must be stormtroopers in a robot.:D

Andy867
09-14-2003, 07:08 AM
Yea, check out the hardware that Zero-G trooper/Dark trooper (whatever is decided) is holding... looks like the Stouker Concussion Rifle.. Impressive... least he packs a punch eh?

jk3beater
09-14-2003, 07:45 AM
[INFO FROM WAREZ VERSION REMOVED]

princessliar
09-14-2003, 11:16 AM
:eek: Those things are insane!! They look like they're about to do a spot of ghostbusting too. :p

Kurgan
09-14-2003, 12:04 PM
Now that I compare the pics of the Spacetrooper/Zero G Stormtrooper (from the SW site) and that screenshot from the thread starter, it looks like all they did was change the face texture, tint (the SW site one looks more blue/purple, this one looks more gray/silver) and add air hoses going from the backpack to the faceplate.

The thing that throws me is the name.. "Hazard Trooper."

That seems to imply "Hazard Suit" you know like bio-containment.

But the thing is, regular Stormtrooper armor is completely sealed, and would be fine for handling various hazards for short periods of time. You wouldn't need bulky gear like this, whereas for the Space Trooper you need extra armor, jet packs, magnetic boots, etc stuff like that, so it makes sense to have it all bulked up and powered like that.

Even according to the EU, "Radtroopers" (Radiation Troopers) have armor that is more or less the same size and bulk of regular troopers, just more insulated and have filtering apperatus and gieger counters to check radiation and other hazardous chemical levels for safety.

If they meant like "Hazard Team" (these ARE the same people who made Elite Force after all...) they don't seem well suited for ground combat. I mean are these guys super agile or something? I would think that regular Stormtroopers would be better suited to that task, even if they are cannon fodder.. at least they could manuver better and use more equipment.

Maybe they are designed to go toe to toe with walkers? (of course we have never seen a New Republic walker).

The air hoses make sense if there's a human (or humanoid) inside that needs air. Agreed.

The Concussion Rifle is a nice touch, although remember we've seen regular guys in blaster-resistant armor carrying Concussion Rifles, so its not like the weapon is so heavy they need powered armor to carry it (unless those Mercs are hopped up on steroids or something). ; )

It could be that these are a "made up" new kind of Troopers, as the Swamptroopers and ShadowTroopers in JK2 were, or perhaps not....

Chuahtemoc
09-14-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by TiBo
One thing's for sure, those guys are freaking huge. But i think they are droids, look how big they are compared to the rodian, no human could fit in that snugly enough to be able to move his arms without controls. Its either a droid-trooper, or a mech with a gun inside operating controls.

interesting thought, however...

anyone play the entire Jedi Knight and Dark Forces series? don't you remember the Darktroopers looking exactly like that? So i think this is the next generation/next version after the costly darktrooper program went nuder at the hands of Katarn right before he whooped Jerec's ass.

King Jezuz Pie
09-14-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
It could be that these are a "made up" new kind of Troopers, as the Swamptroopers and ShadowTroopers in JK2 were[...]

I assume that... they simply look too different from Dark- or Spacetroopers...

C'jais
09-14-2003, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
If they meant like "Hazard Team" (these ARE the same people who made Elite Force after all...) they don't seem well suited for ground combat. I mean are these guys super agile or something? I would think that regular Stormtroopers would be better suited to that task, even if they are cannon fodder.. at least they could manuver better and use more equipment.

I think the Hazard troopers could very well be these guys.

Designed to fight under extremely hazardous conditions (zero-g more than qualifies for that in itself) and capable of boarding a capital ship with a minimum of man-power, these guys are up to the task.

In tight corridors, you don't need mobility, but you do need firepower, excessive armour and life support systems.

On an open field, these dudes would get ripped to pieces - can't take advantage of terrain, big-ass targets and their firepower is easily countered by stationary gun batteries and tanks.

On the other hand, in hazardous terrain, proper protection is more important than agility and they deliver in this department.

Chuahtemoc
09-14-2003, 12:30 PM
whoa. interesting revelation just i had--

damnit i need to stop talking like yoda.

:P no for real i just thought of something. would the disruptor rifle, fully charged, anomalate the particles from the armor in the suit, and therefore, either disintegrate the suit, or, fry everything including the human inside(its unlikely that they're not human, the empire was intensely racist--not jking)?

C'jais
09-14-2003, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Chuahtemoc
no for real i just thought of something. would the disruptor rifle, fully charged, anomalate the particles from the armor in the suit, and therefore, either disintegrate the suit, or, fry everything including the human inside(its unlikely that they're not human, the empire was intensely racist--not jking)?

Don't mix pseudo-physics and computer games ;)

I doubt the developers cared about this issue at all.

King Jezuz Pie
09-14-2003, 12:38 PM
Well, the disruptor rifle disintegrates a whole stormtrooper including his suit. Assuming this is a suit aswell, why shouldn't a fully charged dirsuptor rifle shot not disintegrate the whole hazard trooper? :D

C'jais
09-14-2003, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by King Jezuz Pie
Well, the disruptor rifle disintegrates a whole stormtrooper including his suit. Assuming this is a suit aswell, why shouldn't a fully charged dirsuptor rifle shot not disintegrate the whole hazard trooper? :D

Perhaps because a single shot killing them would mean no challenge at all? :confused:

King Jezuz Pie
09-14-2003, 12:43 PM
m0o...

I think we're talking about the general issue of disintegrating a hazard trooper, not about killing him with a single shot. The fully charged disruptor rifle shot could also be the second, third or fourth shot you fire at him...

C'jais
09-14-2003, 12:48 PM
The fully charged disruptor rifle shot could also be the second, third or fourth shot you fire at him...

Sure, if you put it this way, I believe the disintegration animation would play as well :)

King Jezuz Pie
09-14-2003, 12:50 PM
That's what I said... :p

Kurgan
09-14-2003, 12:54 PM
Well the Disruptor Rifle is supposed to be optimized for working on organic material right? (and 'plastic' armor like the Stormtroopers wear would count).

If these guys are wearing metallic armor that could pose a problem, not only that but their mass is much greater than a standcard size human, armored or not.

So I would theorize that the Disruptor would NOT disintegrate them, though it might not be too healthy for them either...

TK-8252
09-14-2003, 01:54 PM
TK8252MJL, the Hazardtrooper doesn't look anything like the saberdroid... :D

How do you know? I'm pretty sure it was a Saber Droid. But I just learned that the site the screenshot was on contained screenshots from the illegal version (the site that was on the twilek torso thread), so I'm not going to discuss it.

BTW, just call me "TK" for short, like everyone does on the JO servers...

King Jezuz Pie
09-14-2003, 02:02 PM
Alright, TK, I remember the saber droid looking close to the droids in EP1... but I'll have to look for the screenshot...

TK-8252
09-14-2003, 02:07 PM
Yes, yes. That's them. It has the same kind of colors in it's textures as the Hazardtrooper, so that's why I said it looks like the Saber Droid.

King Jezuz Pie
09-14-2003, 02:14 PM
Well the color doesn't fit... the hazard trooper is white to grey, while the saberdroid is more beige...

Kurgan
09-14-2003, 02:31 PM
I am assuming this "Saber Droid" you guys are talking about is that droid we saw in a preview (was it worthplaying.net?) that showed a droid guy (had a funny "security camera" shaped head) and a big "bubble shield" around him (unless that was a hit from a DEMP2)....

That may have given rise to the "Dark Trooper" theories. They're thinking perhaps one of those is "inside" the HT suit?

TK-8252
09-14-2003, 03:28 PM
I think the Saber Droid had a Lightsaber blade built into it's right hand.

But what the Hazardtrooper and Saber Droid really are... some things we just won't know until the game comes out.

Kurgan
09-14-2003, 04:02 PM
Was it an illegal beta preview?

I found out that Games Arena/Big Pond's was that way, but I didn't realize there was another.

Too bad...

TK-8252
09-14-2003, 04:57 PM
Who are you talking to, Kurgan? I saw the Saber Droid in a screenshot on the page linked to in the now-closed twilek torso thread. It contained screenshots from the illegal thing.

PrimoSidone
09-14-2003, 05:00 PM
neh, they are gundam wing

JediNyt
09-14-2003, 06:11 PM
Has anyone thought about the disadvantage of a concussion rifle at close range? Duh I mean its suicide even if your in heavy armor, and its not like the secondary is gonna help much either being that cramped. Why would they carry such a weapon in close quarters?

Andy867
09-14-2003, 06:29 PM
Well, the concussion rifle has seconday fire as well, which is more a beam than a ballistic charge, right? So what if they just use that.. That is safe indoors

Andy867
09-14-2003, 06:32 PM
The reason WHY it was closed was because it linked to Big Pond's GameArena, which obtained the illegal beta.

StormHammer
09-14-2003, 11:20 PM
Well, if those big guys are really Hazard Troopers, then I think it makes sense for them to be quite large, with a bulky suit. If you think about it for a moment, they could be going into environments that are not just zero-G...but with extreme gravity as well, or even liquid environments. To me they are reminiscent of deep-sea diving suits with heavy armour. The armour could be thicker, too, to counter any kind of acidic or corrosive environments.

I'm more inclined to think there is a person inside those suits...but the proportions are still wrong for a normal 'human' to fit inside.

Sam Fisher
09-14-2003, 11:24 PM
Also, I read in one of the SW books that they are supposed to have portable Proton Torpedo launchers. At least the Space Troopers.

Kiroth21
09-14-2003, 11:36 PM
when i get ja im gonna make my self look like one :D :cyb3:

shukrallah
09-14-2003, 11:43 PM
But I just learned that the site the screenshot was on contained screenshots from the illegal version (the site that was on the twilek torso thread), so I'm not going to discuss it.

The www.gamespot.com pic? I dont think there illegal, www.jk2files.com had a link to them...

shukrallah
09-14-2003, 11:50 PM
ooopps... never mind what i said, sorry, they do have illegal stuff O_O

Kurgan
09-14-2003, 11:52 PM
I thought Gamespot was okay.

Who are you talking to, Kurgan?

I was responding to a post you made several posts ago. ; )

shukrallah
09-15-2003, 12:20 AM
Thats what i thought.... but then again i could be wrong, about the illegal stuff, since they had an interview with Raven's lead designer, and im sure they checked the site out. Im prolly wrong.

Kurgan
09-15-2003, 02:56 AM
Okay, I just checked with Andy and according to him and his Raven contacts we *know* that Gamespot, PC Gamer, Computer Games Magazine, Computer Gaming World, Avault, IGN and GameSpy are legit (and other major print magazines and major games sites).

So far the only beta/warez one is the Gamespond/Game Arena source that we had posted before we realized the problem.

ImmolatedYoda
09-15-2003, 03:13 AM
some notes: the concussion rifle appears to do absolutely NO damage to NPCs wielding it. case in point: start the chandrila mission and with the first two mercs, stand right in front of the one with the concussion rifle. he will blast you till tomorrow noon and not get hurt, im pretty sure. therefore, they wont have to singularly use the secondary rail-blast indoors. and honestly, i havent had any of the mercs use the secondary fire on me yet.

next, the .npc files in the JA demo shows that regular HTs hold the repeater, then there is a version with the concussion rifle, and the HT Officer has a flechette launcher. so, every HT encountered in the game will not have a concussion rifle.

Kurgan
09-15-2003, 03:39 AM
The fact that the Merc's don't take splash damage from their own shots is kinda goofy (obviously game logic vs. real logic) because if you shoot THEM the plash damage will hurt them for real.

Either the splash damage shouldn't hurt them at all, or it should always hurt them whether they are pulling the trigger or getting shot at.

But oh well... a minor quibble.

Avitor
09-15-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by MMP
Look here. (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jediacademy/screens.html?page=94)

These look like Zero-G Stormtroopers, does anyone know for sure?
Well, here is what Zero-G Troopers looked like in X-WING Alliance:
XWA Screen Shot (http://user.tninet.se/~hvh686p/images/zerog.gif)

Scematic Skecth (http://www.ludd.luth.se/users/kerberos/sci-fi/starwars/char/imperial/other/trooper/zerogstormtrooper.jpg)

And here's what Dark Troopers looked like in Dark Forces:
Stage 1 (http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/ph1dark1.gif)

Stage 2 (http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/ph2dark.gif)

Stage 3 (http://www.hillside.co.uk/glyn/dark/ph3dark.gif)

I'm pretty sure that stages one and two were droids and that three was a suit.

Here's a 1999 Dark Trooper Action Figure (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/1999/10/img/darktrooper_bg.jpg)

And here's an Action Figure of Timothy Zahn's Space Trooper (http://www.starwars.com/collecting/news/1999/10/img/spacetrooper_bg.jpg)

Anyway, the Jedi Academy screen shot doesn't really look like any of these to me. If it's related at all I'd say it's some variant of the Dark Trooper, but I think this is something new.

Andy867
09-15-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by Avitor

Anyway, the Jedi Academy screen shot doesn't really look like any of these to me. If it's related at all I'd say it's some variant of the Dark Trooper, but I think this is something new.

After seeing each one, I must disagree, after looking at the JA screenshot from Gamespot and seeing the 1999 Dark Trooper, I must say those are the closest to looking identical.. similar Helmet and shoulder pads and design

BrodieCadden
09-16-2003, 05:39 AM
It's never revealed exactly what they are in the game, they only serve as enemies now and again. They are robots and they have huge, electro-plasmic type guns that do a helluva lot of damage. They are cool but have nothing to do with the storyline or anything like that

Kurgan
09-16-2003, 04:28 PM
Interesting info there BrodieCadden, but I hope you didn't get that from the warez/beta...

Avitor, thanks for posting those shots!

However, I still think it looks very close to the artists rendering of the Spacetrooper posted in the Star Wars site databank... just add air hoses, change the faceplate texture and tint of the overall suit and you're set.

It may very well be an upgraded version of the SpaceTrooper/ZeroG. Remember this is taking place after the classic trilogy (the time of XWA) and even after the Thrawn Trilogy.

I guess the only way to know for sure is to play the final game (or if it isn't revealed there, get Raven to fill us in!).

Corporeal
09-17-2003, 01:50 AM
Seems pretty obvious to me at least that its NOT a dark trooper. Aside from colouration being way different, the shape and style of the armour is very different too. Dark Troopers are slick in appearance, and the supposed 'hazard trooper' is quite different in that respect, being quite directly machine-like whereas the stage 2 and 3 dark troopers are possibly suit-like, if you ignore their large size.

That said, I'd love to see a return of the dark troopers in singleplayer, in some context. The little in-jokes in mysteries of the sith and JO aren't enough really.

And Avitor, stage 3 was indeed a powered suit, Rom Mohc or however its spelt was inside it as the final boss in Dark Forces.

TK-8252
09-24-2003, 07:48 PM
Just found something: Hazardtroopers= humans in armor. The NPC file (in the demo) says that they use the Stormtrooper sounds, so that kind of implies that they must be humans in REALLY BIG armor.

shukrallah
09-24-2003, 10:28 PM
Why cant they be just some random made up thing from raven? Just because they "look" like something else, doesnt mean they are an updated version. Maybe raven got a couple ideas from other places, and changed them, but they have nothing to do with the original.

michael_collins
09-25-2003, 12:48 PM
Well im actually priveledged to have Jedi Academy now and I can confirm that along with that hazard trooper, there is in fact a Zero g stormie. complete with backpack and sporting armour that looks VERY like Bungies Master Chief Spartan 2.

King Jezuz Pie
09-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Ha, and it's not a Saberdroid... :D