PDA

View Full Version : JA saber Tutorial

Psynex
09-22-2003, 12:37 AM
I just posted my JA light saber tutorial. I worked on it all day and think I covered it all. Catch me on my mistakes though and let me know. Like I say in the post I linked it on, I'll be updating it as necessary:

It's on this thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=1313059#post1313059)

The Cheat
09-22-2003, 12:57 AM
thanks for the tutorial psynex, i may try making some sabers when i get the game so at least now i will know where to look for help if i need it

Psynex
09-22-2003, 12:06 PM
there may be a slight problem in the aligning of tags. I'm going to dig deeper into that today and correct it if need be.

=CNR=Preacher
10-02-2003, 11:24 AM
Great JOB Psy :)

Within an hour I was able to make my first custom Saber (with 3 sabers) (4rth comming up).

Anyway, I also stumbled upon the Tag issue and someone whispered to me that the alignment of the saber will be on the X axis of the TAG in Modview.....

And here ocmes my question... how do I modify (rotate) X,Y,Z axis of the TAG's within Gmax?

___
Here a screenie of the wrong pointing blades (also notice that some parts are still to be skinned) (http://www.kranendonk.be/~john/images/saber1.gif)

Psynex
10-02-2003, 02:28 PM
Actually the blades run along the negative X axis (opposite direction of the X axis). I'm glad you were able to follow along and get the saber(s) in-game. Granted the tags are the most cumbersome part of the entire process. My tut doesn't do a great job of covering that.

In order to change the direction of those, just rotate the tags. That will change the direction of the blades. I wish there were a better way to explain, like a sure-fire position for the tags, but I'm pretty sure I stand for everyone when I say...you just have to play around with them.

Reason: MD3View.exe does something wierd to the tags when exporting to GLM. Basically it rotates them 90 degrees. So what I do is just rotate the tag in Gmax 90 degrees in the direction that would make the blade point properly.

Looks like it will be a bit more difficult for you because you have the one blade on your saber pointing at a strange angle.

=CNR=Preacher
10-02-2003, 04:20 PM
Hmmm I thought I'd already tried to change the sabers' tags (i.e. rotate)... well I give it a new shot tonight/tomorrow morning and see how she comes out :)

ANd concerning the "spike bladed saber" that one (hopefully) changes the same way (90degr.) would do the trick here too I guess/hope.

Thnx for the great tutorial for now :)

(and how the hell do you know what my wife always tells me? (you just have to...) :D :D :D)