PDA

View Full Version : Simple fix for framerate issues

Jah Warrior
09-22-2003, 07:56 AM
Hi all,

As some others here will know there is a serious framerate issue in Jedi Academy, with frames dropping as low as 20fps in places for me even with my 9800 pro.

I loaded the matrix dojo map in JA to see the difference in frame rate and it was significant to say the least. (approximately half of the framerate i would get in JK2).:eek:

Anyways i messed around in console and i found a setting that will give a SIGNIFICANT boost to framerate without any noticable adverse effects on picture quality.

the command is :-

r_dynamicglow 0 (1 by default)

If that helps anyone else get their framerate up then cool.

Sivy
09-22-2003, 08:01 AM
cool, i'll try that. thanks jah :)

Jah Warrior
09-22-2003, 08:13 AM
OK i just, did an experiment:-

I set the game up with 4xAA 16xAF @ 1280 x 1024 full details set in options/setup and here is what I found.

With the settings described above I started out with 45fps on matrix dojo map, I turned off r_dynamicglow and my framerate jumped to 90fps and the same increases are clearly evident in the other duel maps.

I do NOT knwo what that setting does but it's clear that it alleviates a lot of the stress on the graphics card, although I really could not see any benefit to having it enabled at all.

If some bright spark could enlighten us as to the implications and purpose of r_dynamicglow I would be interested to hear it.

Andy867
09-22-2003, 08:46 AM
The dynamic glow, which can be turned off in the setup => video options, produces a "warm" glow like effect in the levels.

JarJarBinks
09-22-2003, 08:47 AM
I prefer to have everything on highest detail and get 25-30 fps than play on medium or low settings to get 80+ fps, unlike most people low fps dosen't bother me much (unless it goes below 15, then it gets annoying).

Jah Warrior
09-22-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
The dynamic glow, which can be turned off in the setup => video options, produces a "warm" glow like effect in the levels.

I know the one you mean andy, but this setting is not the same. If you turn of dynamic lighting in setup the saber glows are removed, this setting does not do that.... the whole thing is still a mystery to me.

@jarjar, yeah i know what yer syain I also like to play with EVERYTHING turned on, however JK3 gave me worse framerates than teh Halflife 2 demos until i turned this mystery command off.

[BK] U
09-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Yeah the command increases FPS in MP, but in SP it dosn't :-(
In SP it has the same effect as when you simply turn off DG in the setup menu.
I've got a Radeon 9600 and im getting 10-30 FPS in SP :-(
Hopefully Raven is gonna patch this soon...

Igor_Cavkov
09-22-2003, 01:18 PM
where do i put this?? how do i get the comand???

Mordred
09-22-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Jah Warrior
I know the one you mean andy, but this setting is not the same. If you turn of dynamic lighting in setup the saber glows are removed, this setting does not do that.... the whole thing is still a mystery to me.

the one that turns of the Saber glow is Dynamic Lighting not Dynamic Glow.

both are options in the set up menu. the command u gave just turns off the Dynamic glow.

and as andy said Dymanic Glow can be turned of in your set up.
just make sure u turn of glow and not lighting

Igor_Cavkov
09-22-2003, 01:57 PM
but where do i write that comand? where is the "command" option what button?

t3rr0r
09-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Jah Warrior
andy knows what he's talking about.

dynamic glow = aura around everything that produces light or looks illuminated (compare when looking at lava, for the most obvious change)
dynamic light = light from sabers, projectiles, explosions

Igor_Cavkov
09-22-2003, 02:45 PM
but how do i get the command up?

t3rr0r
09-22-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Igor_Cavkov
but how do i get the command up?
open the console (shift + ~) and type r_dynamicglow 0.

Igor_Cavkov
09-22-2003, 02:52 PM
thx man!! i have been asking 10000people online ,..everyone just say STFU lol,... thx!

Jah Warrior
09-22-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
andy knows what he's talking about.

dynamic glow = aura around everything that produces light or looks illuminated (compare when looking at lava, for the most obvious change)
dynamic light = light from sabers, projectiles, explosions

right now that makes sense to me, however, i didnt notice any difference in image quality with it on/off.

odd really.

Astrotoy7
09-23-2003, 03:12 PM
Yeah, damn that dynamic glow. I run at 1600x1200+ with my GeForce 5200, and get an average 60 fps with dynamic glow off. Running at Hi Rez, or even if I dumb down to 800x600 dynamic glow always seems to drop the framerate to 30fps.

It all depends really, on some levels dynamic glow(ie.where there alot of lighting effects) just makes it look eerie and awesome. Other levels, eg. yalara it makes no huge difference at all. To me it really seems almost more of an 'ambience' setting.

At the end of the day, I am more of a speed freak, and love to run at Hi rez and Hi fps...as things go so fast you wont have time to notice the glow anyway :P

Have fun !

MTFBWYA

Eternal706
09-23-2003, 05:14 PM
Dynamic glow definately helped me but has any1 figured out how to solve the slow down when there are cloaked characters, especially if u push/pull them?

Jesterspaz
09-23-2003, 08:09 PM
According to James Monroe, JA Lead Programmer here at Raven, this problem can probably be fixed with the latest ati drivers for your vid card =)

Justin "Jesterspaz" Negrete
Designer - Raven Software
Jedi Academy

Wes Janson
09-23-2003, 08:16 PM
With my 9700 Pro, the latest drivers don't like the dynamic glow at all. I always get wierd flashes on the screen when I move around -- ESPECIALLY on the Corellian level.

So James Monroe can stuff it...

Okay, I'm just fooling around. He shouldn't stuff anything. '-p

But seriously, I had to revert back to Cat 3.6 because of that problem with dynamic glow. And unlike everyone else here, my framerate is fine and I enjoy having dynamic glow on. Coruscant just doesn't look the same without it.

I'll wait for 3.8.

lilJedi
09-23-2003, 08:48 PM
are ya'll refering to the full game only? i found with the demo i had 25 fps. on a radeon 9000 in my laptop.

i then went to my d3d settings in display and turned down the texture rendering by a notch back towards performance rather than quality and turned it back up and my frames went back normal 90 fps.. and 50 or 60 with activity on the screen.

but i guess you mean the full game.

Wes Janson
09-23-2003, 08:52 PM
Well, my problem plagued me in the demo as well. But even with volumetric shadows, I never had a framerate issue where it hindered gameplay.

CoreyGH
09-23-2003, 09:00 PM
lilJedi, why does adjusting your Direct3D settings effect JA performance? I thought the engine used OpenGL.

ihaveabu
09-23-2003, 09:38 PM
i have this wierd problem. my specs r:
P4 2.4 GHZ HT 800 FSB
512 DDR PC3200 RAM
MAXTOR 120 GB
GFORCE FX 5200 128MB

and when i load up, it goes to the menu screen, and the fps is like .5. wtf? the mouse like takes 1 minute to move a tiny bit. wtf is goin on?

Astrotoy7
09-25-2003, 06:12 AM
If there is someone a bit 'techy' out there, can they tell us why dynamic glow drops the fps. I have tweaked video settings and whatever I have it on dynamic glow *always* reduced it to 25-30 fps.

It definitely makes some of the levels appear more 'cinematic' ...... since I guess is relevant seeing that most films, in whatever format run at these framerates. If anyone has ever watched a movie in 60fps then i'd like to know !

I couldnt seem to find the dynamic glow option in MP setup options, am I looking hard enough !?!?! (havent played MP much yet anyways)

MTFBWYA

AxVegetA
09-25-2003, 07:03 AM
You people with super computers and having those kind of problems.

I have a decent computer and all my games work fine (low res low everything but ohh well), JO did, and so JA demo.

By the way, how do you check your framerate and does it has something to do with the ping?

EekTheKat
09-25-2003, 07:03 AM
I sort of explored this :

r_dynamicglow apparently depends on a card's multitexturing capabilities.

Apparently there's also a cvar called

r_dynamicglowpasses (default value 5)

that's cheat protected that allows you to adjust how many passes the game will take to render that dynamic glow effect.

There are also other cvars that are cheat protected that allows you to play with the r_dynamicglow settings

lankyframe
09-25-2003, 01:55 PM
i would like to know how i check my FPS it only slows down when im near the dudes ho go invisable (**** i forget there names just woke up sorry )

Andy867
09-25-2003, 06:30 PM
In the console, type

cg_drawFPS 1 this will allow you to check your FramesPerSecond

telackey
11-15-2003, 05:51 PM
Thanks for the tip.

Couple of things I've noticed about it.

With my 5900, 1600x1200 with 4x AA and 8x AF is ~17-25fps with dynmic glow on. That said, every once in a while it drops to 1-2 fps. No joke. 1-2, and will just stay there, so since around 20 was a bit low anyway, I've just used 1280x1024.

Now, with dynamic glow off, I average probably 55-65fps at 1600x1200 4x AA and 8x AF. Inside it is sometimes over 100fps.

However, I have noticed one thing, sometimes, when my back is against a wall (literally) and sabers strike, the entire screen flashes an almost blank white. Sort of odd. Not sure, I think I may stick with 1280 with it on, but it is a neat option to play with.

razorace
11-15-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by EekTheKat
I sort of explored this :

r_dynamicglow apparently depends on a card's multitexturing capabilities.

Apparently there's also a cvar called

r_dynamicglowpasses (default value 5)

that's cheat protected that allows you to adjust how many passes the game will take to render that dynamic glow effect.

There are also other cvars that are cheat protected that allows you to play with the r_dynamicglow settings

hmmm, 5 passes is a lot of passes. That's probably where the performance hit comes from.

Emon
11-15-2003, 07:14 PM
It doesn't, the difference is negligable. It's slow because of how they do the post processing, notice how it's really slow even if there's nothing to glow on screen.

razorace
11-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Emon
It doesn't, the difference is negligable. It's slow because of how they do the post processing, notice how it's really slow even if there's nothing to glow on screen.

Boo! Hiss!

Novelle Tion
11-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Sounds like they did a pretty crap job on this dynamic glow... they should call it Dynamic Slow.

*BUDUU CHIIIIIIISH*

Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen I'll be here all night!

The cynic in me would call this cheap gag to distract from the fact that the core of their engine is old as your grandma (OMG look at how JKA challenges my system! It really is kind of modern!), but this really begs the question: why would you try and make an FPS that looks like your grandma f.uck like her too? Something that doesn't look that good to begin with shouldn't run like ass.

DarkLord60
11-15-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by JarJarBinks
I prefer to have everything on highest detail and get 25-30 fps than play on medium or low settings to get 80+ fps, unlike most people low fps dosen't bother me much (unless it goes below 15, then it gets annoying).

I am the same way. I guess we'll just have to suffer with low framerate lets just say "Its are lot in life".

Samuel Dravis
11-16-2003, 12:02 AM
Novelle, you don't have to play it if you don't want to.

For myself, I love the dynamic glow, because it makes my saber look cool. And the game is the best one with jedi and lightsabers available, so I'm not going to complain. Raven did a great job overall. :thmbup1: A few bugs are not going to make me stop playing it.

DarkLord60
11-16-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

For myself, I love the dynamic glow, because it makes my saber look cool. And the game is the best one with jedi and lightsabers available, so I'm not going to complain. Raven did a great job overall. :thmbup1: A few bugs are not going to make me stop playing it.

I agree with you on the lightsabers JA has the best sabers. God do you guys remember DFII lightsabers those light sticks. LOL. anyway they were so bad I had to download Glowsaber 3.0 of SFX sabers just if I wanted to play it.

Samuel Dravis
11-16-2003, 12:58 AM
Those were really bad... but I used SBX-JK 3.1 to make them look good (and have more stances + moves).

Novelle Tion
11-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis

Don't worry, I don't play it. I just needed an excuse to force grandmas and sex in the same sentence. Fear not! :sweat:

TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!
01-19-2004, 08:03 AM
what should i do then. you guys are talking about 80+ fps. i'm going crazy. p4c (800fsb Ht) pc3200 512ddr asus radeon 9600XT. im having so low fps even when i turn of the dynamic glow s**t off. shouldnt i be able to run the game smoothly at 1024x768 6xaa 16xaf everthing in the game setup top-notched? i'll die soon. please find a way out. or ill throw this god damned piece of junk out of my windows!

Crow_Nest
01-19-2004, 10:29 AM
Actullay turning video sync off also helps increase fps, about 10-20 fps boost. Really.

Oh and you dont need 4x or higher AA and AF, it doesnt really make a difference, also helps boost your fps.

My AF and AA is set to controled.

The best way to increase fps is lowering your res (800x600 or 1024x764 is enough) setting higher than that dropped my fps to 20+ on korriban.

Originally posted by TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!
what should i do then. you guys are talking about 80+ fps. i'm going crazy. p4c (800fsb Ht) pc3200 512ddr asus radeon 9600XT. im having so low fps even when i turn of the dynamic glow s**t off. shouldnt i be able to run the game smoothly at 1024x768 6xaa 16xaf everthing in the game setup top-notched? i'll die soon. please find a way out. or ill throw this god damned piece of junk out of my windows!

just lower or even turn off your AA and AF. Put it like around 2x or 4x, if you put it higher, you'lll just get framedrops.

TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!
01-19-2004, 03:05 PM
I know these but shouldnt i be able to play smoothly with everything top-notched with my system? It looks pretty cool to me! Im giving detailed specs:

Asus P4C800 M/B
Intel P4C 2.6 800fsb Ht
128 MB Asus Radeon 9600XT
512MB (2x256 Dual) 400Mhz CL2.5 Twinmos Memory
SBLive!5.1
SyncMaster 763MB

I think it's pretty enough to play almost any game around with every setting on its best. I just made a benchmark with 3DMark 2000 and got what? 4500 pts. I mark you 3DMark 2000 not 2003 or smthng(perhaps it was because 2000 was older?). I got 5000 on my previous system asus p2b, pIII-500, 320 pc100 sd, 64MB g-force2 mx400. This one is obviously better in games but i don't think that is the real performance it can give. It can't be. I got catalyst 3.10 and dx9b and latest versions of any drivers/progz that u can think of installed! Oh god someone help me please! I'm going nuts! Not only in JK:JA also a popular car racing game ;-P which can be thought as pretty recent and on some points of each track fps lowers so much you wouldnt believe it. Please help ASAP! Or i'll suicide by banging my head on my desk!
My final's are just over and i want to play smthng! I always dreamed of this day and...........goes on bla bla bla!

Samuel Dravis
01-20-2004, 01:07 AM
Usually turning down texture resolution helps the framerate a lot as well.

Emon
01-20-2004, 02:08 AM
That's only if you don't have sufficient video RAM to hold the textures. If you don't, it's gotta start swapping with system RAM, which...is slow. I remember in Yavin Swamp on my GF3, highest texture detail was ~5 FPS faster than the lowest.

Crow_Nest
01-20-2004, 05:15 AM
It cant be the RAM, he has more than enough. I dont know why you got higher 3d marks with an older card.... You should be getting higher 3d marks on a R9600 on a fast comp, your CPU is 1 GHz faster than mine.

TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!
01-22-2004, 12:31 PM
Turning off aa solves the problem? Why is that aa makes problem with JA! Is there a problem with ATI Radeon series cards or is it just me? I think it should be no problem for the card or the system to play JA with aa!

Crow_Nest
01-22-2004, 02:10 PM
Turning off aa solves the problem? Why is that aa makes problem with JA! Is there a problem with ATI Radeon series cards or is it just me? I think it should be no problem for the card or the system to play JA with aa!

Its not ATI Radeon, im using an nVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 ultra and i get the same problem even on 2x AA/AF.

Same for all video cards, incuding those high end ones

Turning off aa solves the problem?

Yes, so does AF. You dont really need that much AF, it can be controled in the "more video settings in the options. Mine is in the middle, just nice. :)

While i have my AA set to controled

TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!
01-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Oh thanks |GG|Crow_Nest! I'll just ask one more thing. Have you benchmarked with 3dmark03? Is ~3800 points normal for my system? And i get like ~250 fps for the first test (the one with the planes) and ~25 fps with the rest. Is that normal too? and And by the way AF does not slow JA down! Only have problems with AA! Really thanx for being so helpfull and patient with me!

Kurgan
01-22-2004, 05:50 PM
The problem a lot of people seemed to be having (the patch supposedly fixed this) is that not all video cards support Dynamic Glow (and you need the right drivers of course, many of which were only recently updated) but it seemed like you STILL got a performance hit if Dynamic Glow was on even if your card didn't support it.

My GeForce2 doesn't seem to support it, but I now notice no drop in FPS by having it on. I have the latest drivers but Dynamic Glow is just "nothing" for me either way.

Dynamic Lights are nice and JA still looks prettier overall than JK2 did on my system (and yet the performance is within 5 fps of JK2).

TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!
01-22-2004, 06:21 PM
I really messed with dynamic glow a lot. But it does not seem to make a performance hit on me. (not more than -5 fps) But AA seems to be a huge one. I do have some kind of a problem with my system but i don't really know what. I'll try all my components on a friends power supply and main board tomorrow. If it ever looks better than mine i'll just sell all my system and buy a new one because bot his power and main board is much worse that mine. Mines are 400W Ever-Power/Asus P4C800 his is 300W Ever-Power/Asus P4S8X! Tomorrow is the turn of the tide for me :)

Crow_Nest
01-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Oh thanks |GG|Crow_Nest! I'll just ask one more thing. Have you benchmarked with 3dmark03? Is ~3800 points normal for my system? And i get like ~250 fps for the first test (the one with the planes) and ~25 fps with the rest. Is that normal too? and And by the way AF does not slow JA down! Only have problems with AA! Really thanx for being so helpfull and patient with me!

SAme for me, i get 200 and above fps for the airplanes, and 20 and below for the rest. :(

I have AA and AF set to controlled. (i think)

My highest 3dmark was 3585. But that was when i was using the 53.03 drivers, im now using 53.04 and i get lower.

I would be getting higher if could just turn of video sync in 3dmark 2003.

TuRKiSHPSYCHo!!
01-23-2004, 04:44 AM
oh i have ensured myself that my system is normal after i got 4100 3dmark points and got ~50fps with 16XAF 2XAA @ 1024X768X32 and all set to top @ JA! I think that s pretty cool. Or is it not? Say it isnt any i'll go on f***ing up your head :) Really thanx to all again for being so helpfull and patient.

Crow_Nest
01-23-2004, 06:54 AM
No problem dude. :)

Astrotoy7
01-23-2004, 08:51 AM
Really "TurkishPsycho", ne bicim isim secdin.... lutfen degistiriniz... Bu forumlarda zaten bol salatalik var, fazlasi amerikali...... :)

iyi gunler

MTFBWYA

Crow_Nest
01-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Really "TurkishPsycho", ne bicim isim secdin.... lutfen degistiriniz... Bu forumlarda zaten bol salatalik var, fazlasi amerikali...... :)

iyi gunler

MTFBWYA

Hey this is an English forum! If he replys in another language, and will continue to speak in forigen (sp?) you could get this thread closed!