PDA

View Full Version : Dual Saber...

ManaMana
09-25-2003, 06:27 PM
Hello. I was just wondering... When you create a dual saber later in the game, will you bee able to choose it's colour? Cause I have seen alot of pictures and movies, but in them, the jedi's modtly have strange saber combinations like yellow and purple (Yuck! That makes mee feel sick!) So... If you aren't going to choose the other blades coulour, I'm going for the staff! But... What is best, staff or dual? Anyway, thank yoy for answering, if you do!:cool:

Damar Stiehl
09-25-2003, 06:35 PM
Dual sabres all the way. Exar Kun is my role model, damnit!

[Fab 5]
Only a colorblind Hutt would choose yellow and purple! They SO clash!
[/Fab 5]

WickedClown
09-25-2003, 06:36 PM
1.) I prefer the staff because of the style (and Kun -.-).
Duals are nice too.
2.) You are able to choose color as well as hilt for both sabers.

3.) a.k.a. edit:
Mine too...but Kun used a staff, not duals.
And yellow (well, orange) and purple...why not? My SP-Dualwielder uses that combo.

DarthCobra
09-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Actually its the single saber. These new sabers are so unbalanced its pathetic. Single offers the most control as is the only saber real players will use.

ManaMana
09-25-2003, 06:44 PM
Well, I think they clash... I't hard to see something more ugly than that (Exept very very very dark brown-green and yellow)

ManaMana
09-25-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by DarthCobra
Actually its the single saber. These new sabers are so unbalanced its pathetic. Single offers the most control as is the only saber real players will use.

But then DarthCobra, what is the best of single, heavy, light, or even medium?

Master William
09-25-2003, 06:56 PM
''Real players''?

Saying are you, that single sabers are only used by real players?

True it is not, for the staff is my ally, and I win I do against the red-stance-single-sabers.

I know the tactic with staff to defeat red stance, it is hard to kill the opponent if he/she has red, but the secret is to ignite only a part of the staff with L, (so it changes to the way a single saber yellow stance is) and dodge those moves and slash quick.

I always do this, it seems that I finally learned some tactics.

ManaMana
09-25-2003, 06:58 PM
Det är gött, William, ge han vad han tål!

Hope you non-swedish don't care about my little frace...

Kusanavi
09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Since in my opinion dualies don't require any skills (you just go button-mashing all around the server and voila you start owning in a cheap way) I'm voting for the staff but I prefer single saber all the way :)

NightFallMyriad
09-25-2003, 07:06 PM
As I understand it, Exar Kun in one battle wielded dual saberstaves (four saber blades... Jesus), so you're both right. Otherwise, it was the lone saberstaff.

I find the single saber to be very underpowered in the demo version I have. And after having used it so much in JO, it's nice to be able to use dual and staff for a change.

I very much like the idea of using the dual sabers or the saberstaff, but what I don't understand is how all of a sudden there are all these dark jedi running around with dual sabers and saberstaffs.

Dual sabers is supposed to be a very shunned method of fighting, which is why the only person in SW history to ever really use two sabers was Boc. And the only two people from SW history to ever really use the staff were the aforementioned EK and Maul. It's supposed to be a jedi training weapon for using the single blade (since it's easier to cut yourself up, and you have to be more patient and careful with it).

I also really hate how every single one of the baddies in JA uses a red saber. I mean come on. It doesn't have to be red all the time. Sariss used a blue saber, and she was a darksider. Adi Galia uses a crimson saber, and she's on the jedi counsel, so what the hell?

If it were available, what I'd really like to see in JA is Adi Galia's reverse-one handed saber stance. Now that'd be something special.

yoda_alex
09-25-2003, 08:19 PM
As for the best Sabre stance... well everyone has their favourite (medium for me!) but the best thing about the single sabre is you can switch between stances. Also, the single sabre is IMO much easier to control. I rarely dispatch an enemy by luck with the single sabre but with duals and especially the staff, the only way I know the guy is dead is when the camera flys around me!

Azrael666
09-25-2003, 10:35 PM
I think Exar Kun (why didnt he have a 'Darth' title?) used a single Two bladed saber that could seperate into two seperate sabers, giving him a very broad range of combat styles.

TK-8252
09-25-2003, 10:45 PM
Starts to kill Stormtroopers? :disaprove

It's saber staff for me. Duel sabers just don't seem to work very well for me. And I like the kick more than saber throw.

Chew-Z
09-26-2003, 12:23 AM
- singel saber

works fine and very effective.

Quin
09-26-2003, 12:31 AM
I like dual sabers my self (no I don't spam it). While its not as easy to connect as with red stance or a staff they offer great defence... mostly I defend untill someone get deflected (or throws a single saber and loses it) and then do the right-right atack (slow circle slash) to kill.

I also like having throw, its great to use against a kata or heavy stance, While kick is nice the new moves for getting up limit its usefullness (they can be deadly)

Sir Wolfbiter
09-26-2003, 12:49 AM
well... saberthrow has its uses, but I like the 'staff. the jump kick to stab combo works well for me (though the stab seems to have been nerfed... sigh...). duals look pretty with two nicely chosen colors ( I don't mind purple and yellow... blue and yellow look nice, IMHO).

How does everyone know all these jedi names (Boc and the like)? I've read a few SW books and they mostly seem to be about Han and Luke and them after the Battle of Endor. I've never read anything about Exar Kun.

Prime
09-26-2003, 01:44 AM
What, no single saber option? For me they are still the most effective option.

Quin
09-26-2003, 02:18 AM
Boc was from JK1 I believe (just before the last boss). I use yellow and orange for my sabers, I think it looks good.

Another dual saber tactic I like is to spin a bit so the person thinks I'm just spaming moves... and then with they aproach (normaly with a slow powerfull attack like red stance) switch off one blade and use the blue lunge. Does a ton of damage and suprises them =)

Doug Thompson
09-26-2003, 03:19 AM
"Real" players will use single saber? As opposed to, say, pretend players?

Seriously, the best argument against dualies is that it makes the game too easy.

Well, if that's the case, then it's pretty clear what the best option is, isn't it? It's the one that causes the most damage to the enemy at the least cost and risk to yourself.

That would clearly be dualies.

Lets put it this way: Suppose there were two fighter planes. One was very fast and manuverable, but only experts could fly it. Another was almost as fast and manuverable, but easy to fly.

Which is the better fighter plane?

==========

Another factor to consider is experience. An experienced single-saber user will whip an inexperienced dualie player every time.

Well, right now there are no experienced dualie players. The game's not been out long enough.

Wait, young jedi ...

WickedClown
09-26-2003, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Azrael666
I think Exar Kun (why didnt he have a 'Darth' title?) used a single Two bladed saber that could seperate into two seperate sabers, giving him a very broad range of combat styles.

1.) Because Darth Bane (his real name, I think) lived about 2000 years later and Bane did that Rule Of Two.
Since Bane, the Sith call theirselves 'Darth'.
2.) I've seen a pic of Kun's saber and it is just as long as a normal single saber.
Hard to believe it could be splitted... but maybe....
3.) @Wolfbiter: You should....he's great....he's incredible...he's evil, tragic and what not.

Damar Stiehl
09-26-2003, 01:26 PM
Kun did NOT use sabrestaff or two sabrestaves. He initially used a single sabre... up until when he dueled his master. The master used a cane and Kun used a single sabre, and the master was beating Kun, but Kun pulled a second sabre and broke the staff.

He wielded two sabres ever since...

WickedClown
09-26-2003, 01:31 PM
So why does he use a staff (or at least a double-bladed saber) on some pics?
And starwars.com says that he used a double-bladed one, beating Maul to the punch by several years.

btw: I tried to up a pic, but didn't work. It can be seen here (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Vault/5147/xrgallry.htm) at the bottom of the page. It shows him using a staff.

Sivy
09-26-2003, 01:34 PM
dual sabers are fun, not to keen on the staff though.
single saber is my preferred option.

ManaMana
09-26-2003, 05:08 PM
Hey, sorry for not adding a single saber option!

babywax
09-26-2003, 06:04 PM
Lets put it this way: Suppose there were two fighter planes. One was very fast and manuverable, but only experts could fly it. Another was almost as fast and manuverable, but easy to fly.

Your analogy is almost there, it should be this though:
Lets put it this way: Suppose there were two fighter planes. One was very fast and manuverable, but only experts could fly it. Another was faster and more manuverable, and easier to fly.

Dual sabers and saber staff are too easy. It's almost completely spam most of the time, sure there's some timing, but no real aiming except along the y axis...
Single saber all the way.

Agen
09-26-2003, 06:20 PM
Single Saber for me, I have mashed up alot of staff and dual users lately :cool:

Doug Thompson
09-26-2003, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
Single Saber for me, I have mashed up alot of staff and dual users lately :cool:

I don't doubt that for a minute because -- as I said -- there are no experienced staff and dual users yet.

=================

If the rephrasing of the fighter plane analogy analogy is more accruate, then the duelie is definitely better.

Because, an expert pilot will still kill a rookie, even if both the airplaines are easier to fly.

I'm a single-player, but even I can see that the argument that the dualies are "too easy" simply won't hold up in multi-player. Sure, you can wipe out AI, but nothing is easy against skilled humans.

============

Another factor in favor of the dualies is that the two sabers allow the dualie player more freedom to use the force in greater safety, because of the better (I assume) protection of two sabers for lightsaber defense.

babywax
09-26-2003, 07:33 PM
You have one hand on each saber, I personally think it would be lowest defense. I think staff should have highest defense, on front equal to that of single saber, and on back about 2/3 of single saber. More than 50% (counted out of 150, 138 people using duals)of people on the servers I went to used dual sabers.

Not only are they easier to get good with, someone who is of equal skill doesn't have to exert nearly as much effort as the person with single saber, as the single saber has to watch two sabers going in different directions and find an opening. Not only that but he has to get into that opening, do a fair amount of damage, and get out without getting hit. While dual sabers just has to keep charging ahead, most of the time dual will score about 2 hits.

Doug Thompson
09-26-2003, 07:41 PM
(Deleted: Same post posted twice, by mistake.)

idontlikegeorge
09-26-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by ManaMana
What is best, staff or dual? Anyway, thank yoy for answering, if you do!:cool:

This is assuming that either of them are better then the single saber. Which they aren't.

But I've found, dual sabers are good for blaster defense, and makes a cool shield - sabers held up like a cross. And they are good for quick killing of many weak enemies. I don't really like it for saber duels, it just seems like alot of fancy colors swooshing and flashing but nothing happens. Kind of reminds me of JO MP duels after the patches. :p

I prefer the saberstaff over the dual sabers, though - I like it better in duels. But still nothing beats the single saber, and if you want to talk about easy, use a single saber when you become a Jedi Knight. Ultimate whore move that puts anything whorers did in 1.03+ to shame. :lol:

ManaMana
09-27-2003, 05:56 AM
Well, maybe I'll choose single, or maybe the others...

Rockstar
09-27-2003, 06:12 AM
hahahha 2 saber staves??? that is literally impossible. you would have such little mobility that you would be inviting death. the staff hilts would be much to large to spin so all you would be able to would be to jab like a robot lmao

the staff is pretty newbyish in the demo atleast. the duel sabers imo require much more skill than the staff (which requires none)

the true best players i'd think are the single bladers.

the single saber SHOULD have been revamped, but lucas arts were lazy and basically used the same system for JO... and it doesn't compare to the others when it should!

ic0n
09-27-2003, 06:21 AM
you are pathetic. just play the game. who cares about kun.

Deastin
09-27-2003, 06:24 AM
Heh, dual sabres is just pointless...way too hard to control. I died a LOT using two sabres, It's for power only.

Sabrestaff is what I vote for...mainly because I like quick stances...like that. I can always switch to blue anyway.

ic0n
09-27-2003, 06:27 AM
i dont use sabers to kill people. only to defend. i find that dual sabers also have the highest block rate.
i also use the kata, and turnleft + yawspeed and its a very fast kill, if i need to. backstab also works.

ManaMana
09-27-2003, 06:55 AM
Well, if anyone wants to see how yellow and purple lightsabers clash, look here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jediacademy/screens.html?page=134

This is a though decision... What to choose :confused: :confused: ?

ic0n
09-27-2003, 06:57 AM
who cares what they look like darth rpg.

ManaMana
09-27-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Deastin
Heh, dual sabres is just pointless...way too hard to control. I died a LOT using two sabres, It's for power only.

Sabrestaff is what I vote for...mainly because I like quick stances...like that. I can always switch to blue anyway.

Aha, so if I got it right... Dual Sabers is Kamikaze style (All Attack), Saberstaff is medium based, strong single defensive, medium single uh... medium and fast single kamikaze also... Am I right?

Deastin
09-27-2003, 08:33 AM
Dual sabres is kamikaze in SP. In MP, everyone just spams katas.

ic0n
09-27-2003, 04:39 PM
Dual sabres is kamikaze in SP. In MP, everyone just spams katas.

no, only the newbs spam katas.

ManaMana
09-28-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by ic0n
no, only the newbs spam katas.

So you mean you can be non-n00b and still have staff and dual?

Agen
09-28-2003, 12:31 PM
In MP, everyone just spams katas.

Everyone dies?

Aha, so if I got it right... Dual Sabers is Kamikaze style (All Attack), Saberstaff is medium based, strong single defensive, medium single uh... medium and fast single kamikaze also... Am I right?

Dual is more of a kamikaze, you're right, it's like - let's kill him before he kills me in the fastest possible time type a thing, staff you can wait for them to open there defences and cut the stomach or just try to break it with constact striking. Single sab has 3 stances... it's up to you ;)

More than 50% (counted out of 150, 138 people using duals)of people on the servers I went to used dual sabers.
That is a very strange result, it's actually quite equal from where I see it, maybe more singles... actually. Saying that, i have noticed if there was ever a guy on a 10/0 ramapge in a duel server it was always a single saberer ;)

True it is not, for the staff is my ally, and I win I do against the red-stance-single-sabers.
Yes, that's because from what i saw, Yellow is best against staffs :p
I know the tactic with staff to defeat red stance, it is hard to kill the opponent if he/she has red, but the secret is to ignite only a part of the staff with L, (so it changes to the way a single saber yellow stance is) and dodge those moves and slash quick.
Then they use red to abolish you're mutated yellow stance :p
There's 3 stacnes for it ye know ;)

ManaMana
09-28-2003, 05:27 PM
So, the game is good balanced ;) ;)

babywax
09-28-2003, 06:02 PM
Staff requires much more skill than duals, and single requires more skill than staff. All being said I actually like staff more, and even if it's nerfed I will continue to use staff because I just like the way it plays (in MP). I like waiting for an opening and attacking, instead of charging headlong with either red swoop or dual slashes. Red stance has to be started before going in (usually) so you don't get a chance to actually wait for an opening. Yellow stance for single just isn't powerful enough for me, I don't like how easily it is knocked away.

So, it's all a matter of preference. I'll stick with my staff though, thank you very much :)

|GG|Carl
09-28-2003, 06:06 PM
Saberstaff has more acrobatic moves, and you fell more deadly when you use it.

ManaMana
09-28-2003, 06:13 PM
He he... Cool... Can you shut off one blade on the staff and still use the other?

ic0n
09-29-2003, 02:51 AM
So you mean you can be non-n00b and still have staff and dual?
easily. they have higher block rate.

Kurgan
09-29-2003, 07:57 AM
Exar Kun definately used a saberstaff before Maul, just read the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology (published before any of the prequels came out). It links the double bladed saberstaff explicitly to Exar Kun.

Kun is a character mentioned in the Tales of the Jedi comics (and his "spirit" is mentioned in the Jedi Academy trilogy as haunting Yavin 4 the Trilogy takes place some time after the original movies), which are part of the EU, taking place "thousands of years before Luke Skywalker's birth."

Boc was a Twi-Lek Dark Jedi in the first Jedi Knight game who was a master of two sabers.

Also don't forget that Anakin used dual sabers for a short time in AOTC. ; )

Crow_Nest
09-29-2003, 09:46 AM
I like the staff. I like the twirl.:cool:

And the kata.

Doug Thompson
09-29-2003, 12:12 PM

I don't agree with that. It's an option to play defensively with dual sabers. As somebody mentioned, when you attack someone using dualies you have to keep an eye out for two sabers and an opening left by them, hit that opening, do a decent amount of damage and get out.

Dualies probably have a well-earned reputation as a kamikaze weapon because the average player probably runs around flailing about with them all the time.

Jah Warrior
09-29-2003, 12:27 PM
It's true that staff and dual are 'easier' but they are unsatisfying compared to single. There is a distinct lack of moves for the staff and dual, you just have to hold attack and rush teh opponent. There is little to be learnt in terms of timing and teh special moves are bugged terribly (forward jump attack in staff)

ManaMana
09-29-2003, 06:53 PM
Aha... Well, thats cool :D :D

Master William
09-29-2003, 06:57 PM
lol... you double posted.
Anyway, I switched from Staff to single saber, as the single saber gets me more frags, and I'm better with it.

w00t :cool:

Remirol Nacnud
09-29-2003, 07:10 PM
For the sake of fun(playing in SP) it has to be the sabre staff.

I fell in love with it when I did my first double kill. One blade goes backward, killing the guy to my right, the other goes forward(and up) killing the guy to my left. The bullet time scene for that double kill was simply amazing.

But in real life.....uhh.....I mean, real star wars :P the dual is going to be the best.
It just makes sense to me. You simply distract them with one sabre, and run them through with your second sabre.
The staff is just two blades in fixed positions, but the dual can be used in many ways.

Crow_Nest
09-30-2003, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by Master William
lol... you double posted.
Anyway, I switched from Staff to single saber, as the single saber gets me more frags, and I'm better with it.

w00t :cool:

:lol:

Last time i tripple posted!:D

Templar101
09-30-2003, 04:47 PM
I prefer the Saberstaff myself... The kick attack is very cool, to floor your opponent and then exploit it.

Jaden X
09-30-2003, 04:56 PM
First time I played the demo, I used the Staff (gold one, if u wanna know). But then, I found the Dual sabers much stronger for me (maybe it's a natural talent:p). Well, I think u should use the one that is easier and suits u better....

ManaMana
09-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Well, well, well... :D :D Why is dual saber so good, you that have it... We haven't heard much off it here!

Jah Warrior
09-30-2003, 05:38 PM
Well, I think u should use the one that is easier

Yes that will be rewarding :rolleyes:

personally i'd always go with the hardest possible option, it's more rewarding to get a kill with single saber than just running round like a headless chicken with a staff or dual sabers because its "easy" LOL.

Maybe bind some of the moves with a script, thats even easier and after all you dont want a challenge now do you?!

ManaMana
09-30-2003, 05:41 PM
Yeah, you can start with the easier stances dual and staff, the more "fun" in the beginning... Only so you will get a hang about how to counter singles... Then, you start to train with the single, so simple!

Crow_Nest
10-01-2003, 03:55 AM
lol.

ManaMana, you tripple posted. Better delete it before a moderater sees it!

Or he'll kill ye!:D

ManaMana
10-01-2003, 07:01 PM
Wow, this is quite fantastic, the FIRST THREAD I start is getting this big! Halleluja!

Crow_Nest
10-02-2003, 05:11 AM
Congrats 2 you.:)

ic0n
10-02-2003, 05:15 AM
LETS ALL HAVE A BIG E-PARTY E-PALS!!! /ME BRINGS THE E-CHIPS AND THE E-DIP!@!!! LOLOLLLOLO!!!!!!1111oneone

Crow_Nest
10-02-2003, 05:19 AM
A party? for what? to celebrate his "2 page" thread?

ic0n
10-03-2003, 12:27 AM
oh sorry, forgot to add this:

</sarcasm>

leafi
10-03-2003, 09:47 AM
Why when you have dual sabers, cant you put one your belt and fight as though you had only one with all of the styles, and then when you need take out the second. Or likewise with the staff, urn off one side and use all of the standard single saber fighting styles. Wouldnt that be more realistic because thats basically what Darth Maul did when he and Qagon (I dont think I spelled it correctly) faught the first time in the desert. he only used one side so why should we be stuck with yellow in staff and blue in dual. Just my thought.

Crow_Nest
10-03-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by |GG|Carl
Saberstaff has more acrobatic moves, and you fell more deadly when you use it.

I'm a deadly Jedi, i always use staff.

Muahahaha!

ManaMana
10-05-2003, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by leafi
Why when you have dual sabers, cant you put one your belt and fight as though you had only one with all of the styles, and then when you need take out the second. Or likewise with the staff, urn off one side and use all of the standard single saber fighting styles. Wouldnt that be more realistic because thats basically what Darth Maul did when he and Qagon (I dont think I spelled it correctly) faught the first time in the desert. he only used one side so why should we be stuck with yellow in staff and blue in dual. Just my thought.

Well, that is because... HOW THE * EASY WOULD YOU HAVE AGAINST SINGLE SABERS?!?! It isn't very realistic, but Star Wars itself isn't very realistic...

idontlikegeorge
10-05-2003, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by leafi

Well, I'd say, that using the saberstaff and duel sabers, would take more coordination then a single saber, so in effect, by learning the style to use a staff or dual sabers, you are stuck with a single, single-saber stance when you toggle to it.

I think it's realistic like that, and I like putting in the lightsaber-force restrict variable, that makes things a bit more sketchy as well. Very fun.

Dethsaint
10-05-2003, 12:09 PM
I always get the best results with single saber. :D

I know people always characterize it as "dancing" but using different stances constantly tends to throw your opponent off since you aren't as predictable - and the red stance can blast through any defence the other guy is putting up :cool:

Yellow and Blue stances are good for driving other people back as they won't risk getting in the way of a blow as blocking is so unpredictable

If they are doing the twirl, start a red slash and move behind them.

If they are doing Kata wait for them to finish and rollstab or lunge

If they do the special spinning moves (ie. forward + jump +attack) avoid it if possible and close in with a red slash.
What bugs me most though is when staff users get instant kills with it - the last spin is incredibly deadly. :p

And if they are coming at you with sabers blazing you respond with a yellow or red Kata depending on how good your timing is :)

Btw. Did I mention I use single saber? :D

ManaMana
10-05-2003, 04:30 PM
I will definitly go for the single saber...
Why you ask?
Because its balanced, and looks cool ;)...

Lord Kage
10-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Dual Sabers are cheesy. I cleared nearly every saberweidling opponent, staff, single, or dual by simply using choke then throwing the second saber at them.

The staff is fast, and I think it has moves which leave you wide open if you aren't careful. All that spinning is intimidating maybe but while you are busy in the spin animation you are open to a quick saber throw or force move.

The single saber may be harder to attack the first two with but it defends nicely against them.

All three have their uses depending on the style of your opponent. Staff for the jittery jump around guys who don't really know the moves or don't like pulling them off and just want toe slice like a mad man/woman. The single saber for combat fighting is more tactical and strategic and offers more of a challenge. The Dual Saber option is for the more defensive.

Unless you use strong style I think a single saber user has just as much chance to beat the staff or dual saber user. Staff to staff is fun but usually a dual saber user will mow down a staffer.

This is all from my experience, mind you, and simply opinion.

Cr0n0
10-05-2003, 10:43 PM
It's all about single sabre. In episode 4-6 no char used duel sabers or saber staff. Only new faggot anakin and gay darth maul use more than one saber(saber staff i count as two). Real jedi only use single sabre.

StormHammer
10-06-2003, 01:09 AM
ManaMana...please don't spam. I've deleted your spammy posts, and I'll only do the same again, so why bother? :cool:

And as for the topic...I use Dual Sabers.

While I agree that some players may have a kamikaze attitude when using this style, I don't think it's an inherent problem with the style itself. You can run around flailing like a maniac with any style - and while you might get some lucky hits, you're also leaving yourself wide open to attack.

I have to say, I dislike the forward twirl move. It looks silly, doesn't really do any damage (I've yet to see any kills using that move), and goes on for too long. I'd prefer the Single Saber Medium forward flip, but with twin sabers.

I do think dual sabers are more offensive, because they seem to have a weaker defence. In spite of having two blades, it seems harder to parry incoming swings - and I guess that is as it should be, or dual saber wielders would be invincible.

The saber barrier move is also not very effective unless you can really catch someone unawares - unlike the katas of the other saber styles, it is a very obvious move, and takes longer to implement - and then leaves you completely open to a roll+stab at the end, if your opponent times it right. I'm starting to prefer just tapping the double buttons - which gives you a dual swing to either side if you're careful, without going into the saber barrier move itself.

So in a way, the Dual Saber style is more restricted in terms of it's effective moves. The saber barrier is suicide (only a fool runs into those twirling blades, and hard luck if you do), because you'r open to attack. The forward twirl move is practically useless, and I've even unintentionally executed that move on occasion, and ended up falling into an abyss or a pool of lava because of it. A dramatic way to commit suicide, but otherwise not much use.

Fractal-Coffee
10-06-2003, 01:40 AM
I've found that if I use the single sabre or the staff I kill more than I get killed, but if I use the dual sabres I get my ass handed to me in my hat and sent on my way.

It's probably because it's way too flashy and I get more distracted by the whirling blades than my opponents do. Not to mention the way the attacks seem to work.

With a single sabre or staff you press left and attack, lo and behold, you attack to (or sometimes from, depending) the left.
With the dual sabres you press left and attack, you flail your arms around a bit in a big spin and THEN attack to (or from) the left. Even with all the 'fast' moving attacks it seems dual sabres attack slightly slower then the others.

Or not. Whatever.

Anyway, I go staff all the way, mostly because it's just cool, and Kun is my hero.

ShadowCloak
10-06-2003, 02:26 AM
my philosphy on the saber system in JK3 is just simply an expanded form of jk2's

Jk3 Singe=Jk2 Red/Offensive
Jk3 Staff=Jk2 Yellow/Medium
Jk3 Dual=Jk2 Blue/Defnsive

So, SIngle saber has an advantage over staff
staff has an advantage over dual
and dual has an advantage over single

the thing is that dual and staff players are mostly n00bs somewhat. Thats why single saber players beat staff and dual players, cause all the n00bs do is hold attack and run around.
Though there are blademasters of teh dual and staff out there, few but they are there, its just the single saber players have not discovered them yet, but I'd say a couble months and staff an dual masters well apear all-over the jk3 online world:cool:

ic0n
10-06-2003, 04:37 AM
WHEN IS THE PARTY!?!?

Crow_Nest
10-06-2003, 04:41 AM
WHEN IS THE PARTY!?!?

Its already over.

ic0n
10-06-2003, 04:43 AM
WHAT I MISSED THE PARTY BUT I RSVP'D AND EVERYTHING I HATE ALL OF YOU WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME TO COME AERLY

Crow_Nest
10-06-2003, 04:46 AM
WHAT I MISSED THE PARTY BUT I RSVP'D AND EVERYTHING I HATE ALL OF YOU WHY DID YOU NOT TELL ME TO COME AERLY

i also didn't come for the party.

ic0n
10-06-2003, 05:19 AM
HWO DID U KnOW IT ALREADY WENT ON THEN ???? HYUH LIAR?

Crow_Nest
10-06-2003, 05:45 AM
1) Stop using caps.

2) I don't know. I just know that the party is over.:p

Syzerian
10-06-2003, 07:25 AM
to bring the topic back on topic... :P
i would say single sabers all the way i like the blue stance i like to kill with speed i usually jump in and do a quick right attack then roll back puch then if that doesnt work do jumpy moves :D then a kata then i just go all out kamakazee wwith a couple of throws
i only have the demo but getting the full soon
i find duals to be too hard to control and attacks r too cheesy plus all moves i find r really easy to counter when up against a dualer plus when u think about it when u r in a saber lock they hold their sabers in a X like formation so really it would just be like pushing open a door and ur attack would go straight through and yay i win :p

leafi
10-06-2003, 06:01 PM
You are missing a category, I play with 2 saber staffs :-)
Just call me Darth Cheater
lol

king yoda
10-06-2003, 06:10 PM
double sabers are my fav because they are fast and dangeraus.

Remirol Nacnud
10-06-2003, 06:15 PM
I've been playing the SP some more and have decided that my favourite sabre goes single>staff>dual.

The dual just doesn't have a good feel for me. Although it has an obvious superiority when you enter a sabre lock and throw one of the sabres to kill the other person. That happened to me and I simply said "WTF!?"

The strong style just seems so powerful. Swiping straight through anything in your way. I like to use a medium/fast style until I have them in a compromised position and I can bash straight through with the strong.
That'd probably take more skill against a real person though.

Oh, and the staff is just sweet. :)

Prime
10-06-2003, 11:46 PM
LETS HAV A PARYT! That's some good spamming...

StormHammer
10-07-2003, 12:54 AM
Okay, ic0n, stop spamming right now. I'm deleting your spammy posts because they've not contributed to this thread in any way. Consider that a final warning. :rolleyes:

ic0n
10-07-2003, 01:41 AM
ALRIGHT. This one time, i was playing Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and we all decided to have a party. We all sat around and used bow emotes, and only walked, and pretended to be droids. We ate e-cake, and played with out dual sabers. it was very comical, and we all had a good laugh.

g//plaZma
10-07-2003, 01:54 AM
ALRIGHT. This one time, i was playing Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy, and we all decided to have a party. We all sat around and used bow emotes, and only walked, and pretended to be droids. We ate e-cake, and played with out dual sabers. it was very comical, and we all had a good laugh.

I have done the same thing, friend. Was this party hosted by Great Jedi Master Windu by any chance? <3

ic0n
10-07-2003, 02:26 AM
i dont know i was quite inhebriated at the time.

ManaMana
10-08-2003, 05:45 PM
Pin this post! It has great information to newbies about what saber to choose" :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

ShadowCloak
10-08-2003, 06:22 PM
maybe you should amke another one with Single saber in the poll so that it can be 100% before someone pinning

ic0n
10-09-2003, 01:01 AM
yes, newbies also know where to find the parties from this thread!

CK_EmPreSS
10-09-2003, 02:12 PM
The point of a duel is to win the duel. Using "spam" moves is part of the game. BTW: the ones who complain about people spamming moves are the ones who get beaten. LOL and about the true best players using singles... that is crazy. So IF a single user gets beaten over and over by a dual saber or staff user, they are still be best? Makes no sense at all.

I was very good at jk2 but I choose to use staff or dual sabers in ja because they are way more fun and also way more effective.

All the talk about spamming a move is stupid. If people don't like the spamming of a move then stop playing sabers and do guns or go back to playing the boring style in jk2. Better yet, go back to playing jk1... and just shut up!

What's next? Somebody complaining that a player is spamming run or jump?

www.cryptkeepers.vze.com Come visit us. We have some of the finest spammers around....

Sabre9
10-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by CK_EmPreSS
The point of a duel is to win the duel....

What's next? Somebody complaining that a player is spamming run or jump?

www.cryptkeepers.vze.com Come visit us. We have some of the finest spammers around....

Well, wait... there's spam, and then there's... SPAM... ;)

nomadorion
10-09-2003, 06:02 PM
:jawa Call me a newbie(or n00b if you wish) but I do just fine with a single saber and my force lightning/drain/push when I'm fighting one on one.

CK_EmPreSS
10-09-2003, 11:13 PM
Force lightning/drain/push has nothing to do with saber fighting.... When you play with force you don't even need a saber, except to throw it.

ManaMana
10-12-2003, 10:33 AM
(Cough) Force Rage... :D ;)

CastleBravo
10-12-2003, 12:26 PM
I think dual sabers are WAY overrated. They just seem like a really weak technique for multiplayer. The only way people get kills with them is to use the cheat that makes the spinning saber barier trick go 100x faster, and jump into crowds and mash both mouse buttons. And really, even though I personally consider hacking the move to make it spin faster cheating, it isn't even THAT great except as a boring way to get kills on folks who don't know to just back off when the guy does the wind-up for it and then roll-stab or use the red overhand smash to kill them when it is winding down.

If this sounds like bitching, it sort of is, but it sort of isn't, because it seems like about half of my kills are folks that I roll-stab or overhand red smash as their dual saber barrier winds down... I think the only reason it scores at all is because new players don't know to just back off when that move is started or they will be insta-killed.

On to other dual stuff... the twirl is no good unless you have somebody cornered who doesn't know to jump out of the way, and the dual stab moves rarely connect with dynamically moving human players. You get lots of slashes, but they seem relatively weak and the reach is short. The sideways twirling attack seems to be weak and is hard to connect with. The main advantage seems to be that you can throw a saber and still defend. In SP it is more useful, since it is good for taking out crowds, and you can move while doing the twirl attack and buldoze folks pretty effectively.

The staff seems like a much better all-around technique than dualies, but I can't decide if it is any better than just using red style and some good timing.

ManaMana
10-13-2003, 05:43 PM
Yeah, those n00bs using so much sensetivity should be banned...

ManaMana
10-13-2003, 05:45 PM
Hey, we've passed 100 replies (Proud :D :D) !!!

Inaba
10-13-2003, 07:29 PM
what's all this talk about sensitivity?

Butt_Whisper
10-14-2003, 12:51 AM
I have seen a lot of dulies going into a group of enemy's (say on a FFA server) and just using sabre shield to get about 4 kills. Kind of lame, since you only have to hit 2 buttons. I just back away and right when they are finishing the move, I role in and stab them; usually killing them

Crow_Nest
10-14-2003, 12:35 PM
Hey, we've passed 100 replies (Proud :D :D) !!!

You passed 100 cos you tripple posted! :D

Last time my thread got 100 pages. :D:D:D

Iblis Reborn
10-15-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by Butt_Whisper
I have seen a lot of dulies going into a group of enemy's (say on a FFA server) and just using sabre shield to get about 4 kills. Kind of lame, since you only have to hit 2 buttons. I just back away and right when they are finishing the move, I role in and stab them; usually killing them

yeah im not a big fan of that move...but hey easy kills! :D

i like me saberstaff, sometimes it seems like mashing but i usually only do that to keep others at bay and make them hesitate their attack so i can manouver myself in
turns out it can be used with skill :)
weird eh? ;)

StormHammer
10-15-2003, 05:46 AM
I had a go with the Saberstaff and practiced a bit - and it got easier to use. I even dueled another Saberstaffer - who was good - and I beat him 20-19. So I guess I'm not too bad with it after all. Even managed to get some kicks in...

But I'm still a Dual Saberist at heart...

Hseeker
10-15-2003, 07:35 AM
Hi,
Playing much MP i noticed many people using staff to get very fast kills, I use the single saber and mostly kill evryone, it takes quit some time to kill a person, while a staff user just spam his overpowered butterfly to get 5 or 6 kills in one move.
Same goes to the dual saber just do the kata move, easy kills, no skill 8 people dead.

They should fix two things, make the butterfly cost alot of force power and make it weaker.
The dual kata move should be locked, meaning you cant abuse your mous sensitivity to twirl the sabers faster like a disco maniac.

My two cents

StormHammer
10-15-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Hseeker
They should fix two things, make the butterfly cost alot of force power and make it weaker.
The dual kata move should be locked, meaning you cant abuse your mous sensitivity to twirl the sabers faster like a disco maniac.

My two cents

Ya know...I don't see where these problems arise. If I see a Dual Saberist duck down, I know they're doing the Saber Barrier move and get away from them really quick - then roll+stab them as they're finishing off - which usually finishes them off. :p

Same with the butterfly. I can see someone going into that move, and I just jump over them.

Is it just me...or are people just standing around waiting to get sabered to death? I jump, dodge, duck and weave as much as possible and never stay in the same place. As I've said before...the key to playing this game is evasion and timing. And don't get caught up in the middle of a huge saberfight in FFA, because you are frankly asking for a Dual Saberist to set down at the edge of the group and reap the crop with those twin scythes.

A lot of moves are avoidable if you remain alert.

Prime
10-15-2003, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Ya know...I don't see where these problems arise. If I see a Dual Saberist duck down, I know they're doing the Saber Barrier move and get away from them really quick - then roll+stab them as they're finishing off - which usually finishes them off. :p For those using the single saber (like me), blue uppercut is good for this also...

GunShark
10-15-2003, 01:56 PM
I'm a duel saberist and am getting better with them all them time, i know their strong points and the weak points, If you just try to button bash with em you hit nothing but air against a good single or staff player, you really do have to time them as certain moves leave wide open gaps. I've found that for me the duel sabers have just as good defensive capabilities as well as offensive, the main danger with duels is you have to get very close to your opponent to score any strikes, much closer than single or staffs. People claim that duels are too easy to use, well their wrong, to use them effectivley you've got to learn about them, in a fight with a single saberist certain moves allows one blade to block and the other to lop off their head, also if your attacked from 2 different directions one blade will block and the other can be used to attack or parry a blow. similar sort of thing against staffers, one blade to block the other allows you to move straight into an offensive manouver before your oppenent can recover, but only if done right.
I've been killed many times by single saber users and staffers because either my opponent is better skilled than myself or i make very silly mistakes leaving myself wide open for a killer blow. A very usefull move for a duel saberist is the cartwheel where you can move left or right from an opponent and both blades are cossed as in X to give very good blocking, this lets you get away in order to get your head together and re-assess the situation/tactics.

ManaMana
10-15-2003, 04:27 PM
Good, good, we need more of theese good replies...
And I deleted my tripple post! (Nah) Well, I changed it!

Hseeker
10-15-2003, 08:20 PM
I never said there not counterable, but you have to agree that mostly in FFA the dual/staff are mostly used to get easy kills with no skill.
Just press two buttons and get 8 kills, while i have to fight 1 person 1 or 3 min to kill him if im not gangbanged in all direction :)

GunShark
10-15-2003, 08:22 PM
got no idea when it comes to FFA i stick to dueling, that reminds me must try power duel and seige sometime :)

StormHammer
10-16-2003, 03:59 AM
Originally posted by Hseeker
I never said there not counterable, but you have to agree that mostly in FFA the dual/staff are mostly used to get easy kills with no skill.
Just press two buttons and get 8 kills, while i have to fight 1 person 1 or 3 min to kill him if im not gangbanged in all direction :)

Sorry, but I disagree. I really don't think Dual Sabers and Saberstaff require no skill and rack up easy kills all over the place. I've seen Single Saberists in the middle of a group suddenly switch to a kata and do a considerable amount of damage, sometimes taking down two or three people who were low on health. And frankly, the Single Saberist has access to three different katas, which can be tailored for each situation, whereas Dual Saberists and Saberstaffers have access to one. And the Dual Saberist's Saber Barrier move is so obvious and slow to kick in (more than any of the other moves in any stance) that it's easily avoidable. I've actually stopped using it except on the odd occasion, because it is frankly suicidal.

Anyway - I think some of these 'problems' could be alleviated if people would not insist on 'bunching up' in an FFA. This used to happen in JO, and a close-knit group of saberists is just easy pickings for gunners. And people used to complain about that. And now you complain about the opportunist who uses a kata from the edge of the group. Of course you are going to rack up more kills by attacking a group of people, instead of just dueling one. And I fully admit, I'm one of those opportunists. If I see four or five people dueling in close proximity, I'm going to take advantage of the fact that they haven't got their eyeballs on me.

If you don't want the opportunist to step in and 'steal' your kills - then don't get caught up in the middle of a group of people fighting - because your awareness of what's going on outside of those you are fighting goes right down to zero. Beware those who remain at the periphery of a fight...

Hseeker
10-16-2003, 08:39 AM
LOL wel I wil say again I never said there not counterable, its just "my opinion" that there alot of people just "spamming kata's" and not doing anything els...
Hell im not even talking abouth those staff butterfly spammers that doing nothing but that. wich conclude its frankly boring and not to mention weak.
I mean there are other moves no ?

But each to his own I guese :)

HDS
10-16-2003, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by Azrael666

Kun was a Sith Lord before the decline of the Sith, the Darth tradition started with Darth Bane who decreed there could only be two Sith, a master and an Apprentice, since then every new sith apprentice has taken on a Darth XXXX name.

Thazac
10-16-2003, 04:37 PM
Let us just put it like this: I have much more respect for a dual or doublebladed that owns with style than a single blader who owns. Why? Because I'm fairly certain it's harder to defeat a good singleblader with dual or double than a single saber of your own. Now I haven't played much yet, but tomorrow I'll have a copy of my own and then we'll see which saber stance is the best :rolleyes:

Crow_Nest
10-17-2003, 03:18 PM
I'll have a copy of my own and then we'll see which saber stance is the best

If you're talking about single blade, its yellow. :cool:

Crow_Nest
10-18-2003, 08:00 AM
Horray!:bdroid2: :p

Stop the spamming.:rolleyes:

StormHammer
10-18-2003, 08:21 AM
ManaMana...I've warned you about spammy posts before. Don't make me warn you again. Any spam posts you make will simply be deleted anyway... :cool:

ManaMana
10-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Okay, sorry... ;) ;)

ManaMana
10-18-2003, 04:14 PM
Vote more!

ManaMana
10-23-2003, 03:25 PM
NOOOOO!
My first thread will NOT fall into the darkness!

Crow_Nest
10-24-2003, 02:37 AM
Then stop spamming in your first thread.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

btw, u tripple posted.

ManaMana
10-24-2003, 11:27 AM
Aaaaaw, It was NECESARRY fo crise sake! :p :p

Prime
10-24-2003, 03:00 PM
Aaaaaw, It was NECESARRY fo crise sake! :p :p :disaprove

ManaMana