PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!!!

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 04:17 PM
It's happening already folks the return of the OpenGL chat room.

stinkin noobs:evil6: :evil6: :evil6:

Mex
09-26-2003, 04:26 PM
What the hell is this about? :confused: If you're creating a thread, at least tell us what to post about.

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 05:25 PM
well this was meant toward the participators of previous threads where this was talked about.

Basically its about nitwits startin to turn a growing number of the FFA servers out there into cyber hangouts where they satnd around and do nothing or have some lame convo.

then get mmad when you tell them that that there is no such thing as laming in a FFA.

wHew out of breath:D

Master William
09-26-2003, 05:28 PM
I am one of those, atleast I was in JK2, it is a bit stupid when you sit with friends and meditate, and some jackass comes by and slashes you like crazy.

Not a problem, since they are disolved by my saber in no time.

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 05:33 PM
meditate?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

thers plenty of other places you can go and meditate instead of making the online experience for most users a boring or bad one.

Get a grip.

babywax
09-26-2003, 05:42 PM
lol at the dufus who said "meditate," that has to be one of the most stupid things I've heard in the last year :p

StormHammer
09-26-2003, 05:42 PM
StaffMaster...I recommend you get a grip, and calm down. Yes, it's annoying, bur frankly there's not much we can do about it. Anyway, let's not make yet another thread that turns into a bashing-fest full of flames. I guarantee, every time someone starts one of these threads, it eventually resorts to flames because people with different points of view can't agree to disagree.

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 05:46 PM
Point taken and actually I never get worked up much less over a thread on message board(no offense)

I guess im the bad guy for wanting this latest incarnation not to suffer the same fate that JO did.

Master William
09-26-2003, 05:46 PM
babywax, lol...
I mean the am commands in JK2 (like /ammeditate or /amsit)

And I did get a grip, but I used Absorb, and slashed him.

:rolleyes:

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 05:50 PM
sorry for the double but this whole phenomena begs a question:

in my experience this is the only online game where on sees this type of behavior.

why is that?

is it the personality type it attracts?

im not trying to be funny Im actually curious.

I know any answer would jus be another persons opinion but welcome none the less.

Master William
09-26-2003, 05:52 PM
Well, you see, sometimes I am in a mood where I just want to relax and talk, not fight. So I /amsit or /ammeditate and watch the other people fight. It is funny, and a guy with a slashing spree on us is not a problem, since the whole ''relaxing crew'' grips and throws him down.

I don't feel like fighting non-stop... Especially in JA, where it is all about swining a saber until somebody dies.

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 05:57 PM
you might find it to be mindless slashing I actually find it to be more responsive than JO. Meaning I can have longer more fluid battles witth skilled opponents.

I dont go aaround nerfing specials all day either thats jus lame.

StormHammer
09-26-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Master William
I don't feel like fighting non-stop... Especially in JA, where it is all about swining a saber until somebody dies.

There's a simple solution to that already built into the game: Spectator Mode. :)

Mordred
09-26-2003, 06:06 PM
but if u just want to hang out and chat, then why not go down the pub with some friends (or something to that effect if u not a pub go'er) or go into a chat room. not go into a game and then not play.

seem strange that the JK games suffer from this, most people would get kicked for doing nothing in other games

and as said before, Spectator Mode was made for that kind of thing

Mex
09-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Only fools sit by and metitate, this is an fps not a mad.

[mad = meditate all day]

If people don't get up and do some action within five minutes, I get up and do it myself, which often results in a kick sadly. :(

Agen
09-26-2003, 07:03 PM
They do get kicked but badly admined servers are just easy targets for them.

Inskipp
09-26-2003, 07:25 PM
You all of course realize that this had begun in Jedi Knight 1. When a person had his saber turned off, he was not to be attacked, even in a FFA gametype. It is considered rude, and will get you the title "lamer", and most likely will eventually get you kicked or banned.

There may be many reasons for this. As stated above, perhaps one is just sitting and chatting. They may also be AFK. Too, they may be setting up binds or controls. But most of the time I see this, they are training. There are other reasons too, I am sure.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are unique games in many ways, so the FFA expectations are different. There is a lot more involved that just aim and shoot. This isn't quake 3 after all. There are many subtle strategies that can be involved, with sabers and force powers. It takes time to learn, and also, it takes time to test. Killing people while they are training or experimenting is quite disruptive. It is better to find someone ready to fight and kill them. Honestly, do you feel the same thrill when you kill someone that may or may not even be at their keyboard? I personally would much rather fight someone who is aware and ready, then it is actually fun.

So I recommend you not get upset about it, and just follow the server rules. If saber down=no attack, then you should leave those people alone. If everyone has their saber off, and is just sitting around, then go to another server.

For many of us, these games allow us to pretend we are Jedi. Jedi and even Sith act with honor. They do not attack defenseless opponents. They bow before starting a duel. They say 'good fight' whether they win or lose, and whether it actually was a good fight or not. If you want to kill people while they are chatting or training, go play quake or medal of honor or something. Or find a server that has no rules.

Even after I said all that, I have seen and enjoyed demo recordings of people laming. Some of them are very funny, as the lamer would kill someone, and then say "sorry" or "accident" or something like that. Very amusing, but not very nice.

FurionStormrage
09-26-2003, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by StaffMaster
sorry for the double but this whole phenomena begs a question:

in my experience this is the only online game where on sees this type of behavior.

why is that?

is it the personality type it attracts?

im not trying to be funny Im actually curious.

I know any answer would jus be another persons opinion but welcome none the less.

I think many people see this behavior but it bothers you more than it bothers others is how I see it.

Raven did put in the code for players on servers to challenge for a duel so I don't think that they went out of their way to discourage this behaviour. I am sorry it bothers you a lot but I happen to like it. Just my 0.02 USD

Mordred
09-26-2003, 07:42 PM
Well i u want to go AFK, then hit Esc, bring down the console or hit the chat key so it puts the chat box above your head.

same goes for binds

Inskipp
09-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Well i u want to go AFK, then hit Esc, bring down the console or hit the chat key so it puts the chat box above your head.

Hehe, that won't stop most of the lamers. Remember...in quake 3, the 'chat box' says: "FREE KILL". Lol...

I just try to remember that its just a game, and that I'm most likely dealing with children. So then I turn on my saber and fight. Its enjoyable to win against people half my age, makes me feel younger....

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Inskipp
You all of course realize that this had begun in Jedi Knight 1. When a person had his saber turned off, he was not to be attacked, even in a FFA gametype. It is considered rude, and will get you the title "lamer", and most likely will eventually get you kicked or banned.

There may be many reasons for this. As stated above, perhaps one is just sitting and chatting. They may also be AFK. Too, they may be setting up binds or controls. But most of the time I see this, they are training. There are other reasons too, I am sure.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are unique games in many ways, so the FFA expectations are different. There is a lot more involved that just aim and shoot. This isn't quake 3 after all. There are many subtle strategies that can be involved, with sabers and force powers. It takes time to learn, and also, it takes time to test. Killing people while they are training or experimenting is quite disruptive. It is better to find someone ready to fight and kill them. Honestly, do you feel the same thrill when you kill someone that may or may not even be at their keyboard? I personally would much rather fight someone who is aware and ready, then it is actually fun.

So I recommend you not get upset about it, and just follow the server rules. If saber down=no attack, then you should leave those people alone. If everyone has their saber off, and is just sitting around, then go to another server.

For many of us, these games allow us to pretend we are Jedi. Jedi and even Sith act with honor. They do not attack defenseless opponents. They bow before starting a duel. They say 'good fight' whether they win or lose, and whether it actually was a good fight or not. If you want to kill people while they are chatting or training, go play quake or medal of honor or something. Or find a server that has no rules.

Even after I said all that, I have seen and enjoyed demo recordings of people laming. Some of them are very funny, as the lamer would kill someone, and then say "sorry" or "accident" or something like that. Very amusing, but not very nice.

Dont get it twisted I hardly get upset about a game.

Look at it like this:

we have the issue with leaked versions and "invaid game folder" popping up.

we have a fraction of tthe server list for the same reasons stated above showing up.

we have private servers taking up the list

and on top of that we have chat room servers.

IM really trying to be patient but see iit ging the way of JO where I got disgusted with online play for the same reason.

and no Sith do not act with honor.
(throne room scene in ROTJ )

bowing,no saber kill,etc are all mp game inventions that never had a place in any SW games before the internet or in any movies or EU.

Kusanavi
09-26-2003, 10:49 PM
Another thread flaming the roleplayers in JA -_- this people bought JA for having fun not get flamed to hell by people who don't like roleplayers in it...if you see a roleplayer in a server(mostly meditating and using commas in every msg he/she says) and you don't like them simply leave the server and search for another one it's that easy oh and about the chatroom servers...that's kinda dumb >.> there are stuff like AIM,MSN,YM,ICQ,IRC,etc....

StaffMaster
09-26-2003, 10:52 PM
so wuts the point of roleplaying in a non RP game?

Kusanavi
09-26-2003, 10:58 PM
Wish I knew but just let them have fun and enjoy JA's taunt and stuff :)

the weiner dog!
09-26-2003, 11:04 PM
I only go to FFA servers to lame and piss people off.

average players on pubs are not good enough to kill me either.

:)

I think until Hex is done with =X= mod v.2 (waiting on the SDK I think) all of us competitive players should just raid pubs non stop and slaughter the "honor" folk (not much else to do in this game atm).

Kurgan
09-26-2003, 11:21 PM
I know people have strong feelings about this, but honestly, how many more "the community is full of n00bs/lamers!" threads do we need?

Don't you think we know this? The game has just barely come out... these are the birth pangs!

No game has a perfect veteran community of mutal respecting professionals right away, why should JA be any different?

These threads are becoming as numerous as the "omg th1s game sux, patch it now plz" threads. Can't people just have a little patience? Guess not. ; p

Just have fun, learn the game, and eventually things will come together.

As far as the "honor/roleplaying" thing goes, keep it on your own private servers, it's a tiny niche community (that's loud unfortunately) and has nothing to do with the way the game was intended to be played for the vast majority of players.

Khier
09-26-2003, 11:24 PM
I pledge my allegiance to such a valiant and worthy cause! Let the lames begin!

No but seriously, the whole "let's not play the game we paid for and just meditate in our chewbacca and darth maul skins while the other players who also paid for this game want to play, but every honourable jedi knows that games weren't made for playing, only for chatting and spamming useless multi coloured binds :)" doesn't go over well with me, because I know that it will soon degenerate to the point where you will only be able to find maybe 2 or 3 servers that actually play (even then you might have a crappy ping), just like in JO. So I'm with un- er...wiener dog on this one. :)

the weiner dog!
09-26-2003, 11:27 PM
laming is fun.

it's all I did in the last 6 months of outcast.

WadeV1589
09-27-2003, 12:02 AM
I think RP'ing is fine if people want to do it...in their own space. When I used to play Elite Force I'd often visit an Assimilation server to play...then one day I went in and got shouted out for assimilating because they were RP'ing! This was a server I had played in for ages and then, because they outnumbered me, I was the one getting callvotes to kick me. This is the point where it becomes a problem, if RP'ers hi-jack a server because no-one is around to stop them, it's wrong, otherwise let them RP.

The problem gets solved though in one simple way, you set up an RP community and get a server or 2 for it, these servers are designated purely RP servers and it prevents any arguments. Isn't there a group of RP'ers already in JO/JA? All it takes is a bit of organisation and server specifics and these threads won't even need to exist!

Emon
09-27-2003, 12:16 AM
Edit: Oh I see, that was stupid.

Kusanavi
09-27-2003, 01:29 AM
Yeah The Count I've been wondering that since the thread started...surely something completely random.

AxVegetA
09-27-2003, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by the weiner dog!
laming is fun.

it's all I did in the last 6 months of outcast.

LoL yeah
:( till i got baned from to many servers

Those honor codes and all that stuff was built by players to make the game more fun, and in some time it all became common sense.

I guess i am one of those (when i have my name on :D )
I remember noobs like staffmaster that came to a ffa server where people is chating, dueling or pp fighting (or all), and then just be anoying killing them when they are typing or get in the midle of a pp fight.
Well usually i am always waiting for players like him, when all the people is talllllllllllllking or doing nothing, because you can show him who is the master and have some fun with the noob (the pull-kick everytime they try to stand up usually makes them leave).

If some good player kills me when i am talking or bothers me when i am pp fighting, i simply kick his ass 7 times, then when they begin saying ill kick your ass in a duel or pp fight, so i fight them, they shut up and leave.

StaffMaster
09-27-2003, 05:34 AM
you assume alot about me dont you?

ALLL BOWDOWN TO VEGETA OMNIPOTENT MASTER OF JA:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

P.S.

The graphic engine the game uses is OPenGL thus an OpenGl chatroom.

DUH

AxVegetA
09-27-2003, 06:50 AM
Hehe :D

Astrotoy7
09-27-2003, 04:22 PM
Stormhammer

I recommend you get a grip, and calm down. Yes, it's annoying, bur frankly there's not much we can do about it. Anyway, let's not make yet another thread that turns into a bashing-fest full of flames. I guarantee, every time someone starts one of these threads, it eventually resorts to flames because people with different points of view can't agree to disagree.

I love your style.

If only mods on other forums had such conviction

Bravo !

Yes MP kids, calm down