PDA

View Full Version : Loading root.xsi in Milkshape3D

Hamburglar
09-28-2003, 07:13 AM
Someone called $ilk on another JK forum claims to use Milk for his player models but is vague about loading the root.xsi (from the Modelling/Skinning Tutorial pack)... this file is needed for correctly scaling and orienting your model according to the JA animations, and more importantly for weighting your mesh to.

The problem:

I'm using Milk 1.6.6a and everytime I try to load the .xsi file it crashes to desktop. I've tried Corto's new skeleton and it only loads materials (should there even be materials on a skeleton?) for some reason... no bones!

Can anyone confirm that this actually works?

Would it be worth trying an older version of Milk3d or even waiting for a newer version of the .XSI importer plugin?

Surely there has to be someone else whos trying/has successfully made JA models in Milkshape :)

Thanks

CortoCG
09-28-2003, 05:40 PM
My skeleton has only nulls (small crosses) to represent bones. If it has materials, erase them, cuz you don´t need them for the nulls.
Perhaps Milkshape´s dotXSI importer does not support nulls, which I seriously doubt.

Hamburglar
09-29-2003, 07:14 AM
Thanks Corto. Unfortunately, this is as good as it gets :/

http://old.cstrike.co.nz/~hamburg/skeleton.jpg

Thats with your ja_skeleton.xsi. The root.xsi wont even load. Perhaps I'm flogging a dead horse... or a sleeping dog... or however the saying goes, but I'm a big fan of Milk3D :)
(It loves Half-life models. Though I suppose thats what it was designed for... go figure)

Looks like Max might be the go. Thanks for your help.

CortoCG
09-29-2003, 12:10 PM
I tried it myself, and no, it doesn´t support nulls as skeleton. I guess I´ll have to make a mesh skeleton. Most of you will feel more comfortable with that anyway.