PDA

View Full Version : Who's the best player on this forum?

saberhagen
10-07-2003, 09:00 AM
Just curious as to what you all think (and wanted a new thread about the actual game rather than about some new game that you've made up). It's an open ended question and depends on your definitions of "player" and "on this forum". I decided not to do it as a poll as the format is too restrictive, and I would have had to make an initial judgement to narrow it down to 10, which I'm not really qualified to make.

I'll have to vote for Skythe as he's the only person I've played who has actually posted here. Although Mega is probably better I only have his reputation to go on (I'm not worthy to play him on the zone and wasn't unlucky enough to draw him in the tourneys I've played in!) and I suppose he's a ringer as he only started posting here this week after I lured him here. ;)

So anyway, post away...

Admiral Vostok
10-07-2003, 10:43 AM
Well the only people I've played here are CorranSec, though he hasn't been here for a while, and Kimba.

And I'm better than them :D;)

Seriously though I don't know.

Compa_Mighty
10-07-2003, 01:55 PM
I know one thing for sure... that guy is definitely not me. :D

DarthMaulUK
10-07-2003, 02:11 PM
I havent played for ages!

erm...

DMUK hehe

swphreak
10-07-2003, 05:27 PM
Yea, DMUK would pwn us all! [/suck up] :xp:

I know pbguy beat me badly the last time we played.

DarthMuffin
10-07-2003, 10:34 PM
I think most of our best players (if we ever had any) have left by now...

As for me, I'm sure everybody could beat me (well, maybe not DMUK, but still).

Darth Windu
10-08-2003, 01:25 AM
I think i'd give you a run for your money Darth54...

Seriously though, im definately not the best player here.

Sithmaster_821
10-09-2003, 01:53 AM
I'd vote for Scythe, or Andy if he was still here (he's mad good in AoM DM too)

Frozted_MM's
10-09-2003, 06:03 AM
well guess what my vote goes to mega :D

saberhagen
10-09-2003, 10:26 AM
I'm disappointed - where's all the arrogant egotistical posturing that I hoped to stir up? ;) You're all too reasonable. Imagine the intense flame wars which would ensue from a similar post on the GiRL forums...

Anyway, wouldn't it be fun to have a competition so we can actually find out? We could have grudge matches to settle arguments between certain people who hate each other. We could even have a team challenge - purists vs EU fans. What do you think?

swphreak
10-09-2003, 01:36 PM
the purists vs EU? Talk about Galactic War...

Bring it on Vostok! :p

Sithmaster_821
10-09-2003, 09:58 PM
What if we don't fall into either category: the people who play the game cause its a good RTS, with the whole SW stuff as an added bonus. I dont give a crap whether GL thinks that the Gungans didn't specifically ride on a certain animal, as long as the game works and is well balanced and well thought out, Im fine.

EDIT: I dont think many of you were around long enough to remember the effects of the last grudge match on these forums (i'd check like page 7-9 of the last dreaded gunship thread for a refresher)

Admiral Vostok
10-10-2003, 12:50 AM
I did a bit of reading of the Gunship thread(s) the other day in preparation for my design of the Galactic Republic. Now that was a good war.

Purist vs EUist war... now that would be fun. To cater for Sith we'd have to have a third faction: Indifferentist.
I would of course command the Purists, and I'd suggest Phreak take control of the EUists, and of course Sith for the Indifferentists. Unfortunately the Purists would probably lose the battle, as I'd insist on only using canonical units, putting us at a slight disadvantage :D

pbguy1211
10-10-2003, 01:47 AM
i USED to be very good... then my hard drive slowed down and made it a bit of a pain to play games on the zone as my screen/game would freeze for a second or so every now and then... once i fix that i'll be back! but that entails buying a new HD and also adding a little more RAM for sh*ts and giggles..

Darth Windu
10-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Yeah, i definately think the purists would lose.

I played my first game of SWGB yesterday after months of inactivity...i got beaten by 2 comp players on easy...

Admiral Vostok
10-10-2003, 05:27 AM
Beaten by two easy comps? That's not something I'd be double posting about :D

Have any other Purists tried playing a game with only canon units? It's quite fun. Of course you can only do it with certain civs, because you need a Worker and some form of AA, so that excludes Gungans, Wookiees and Naboo.

Frozted_MM's
10-10-2003, 05:32 AM
A worker with AA ????

RIGHT........

saberhagen
10-10-2003, 09:29 AM
I suppose purists would just have to be confeds, then it should all work out (as long as no-one resigned cos the hailfire droid refused to shoot ground units!). I'm only a moderate purist so I'd be happy to use anything, but maybe that would disqualify me?

Sithmaster_821
10-10-2003, 08:01 PM
A worker with AA ????
Lol. I guess somebody needs to read more carefully...

Admiral Vostok
10-12-2003, 04:34 AM
Actually purists can be the following:

Confeds: they get pretty much everything, although it doesn't necessarily function the same way as the movies. Confeds are also the only civ who gets their Cannon.

Empire: They get a fair bit though you have to rely on TIE Fighters for Anti-Air purposes.

Rebels: Again you need to rely on Air for Anti-Air purposes, but that is not a problem at all for Rebels. They get no Mechs or Heavys, though.

Trade Federation: They get most things, but again with the reliance on Droid Starfighters.

Republic: They get most things, though it's a bit of a stretch since their Worker is actually the Waitress droid from Dexter's Diner.

The rest you can't do because:

Naboo: Their worker is not Canon.

Gungans: Their worker is not Canon and they have no Canonical units that can shoot Air.

Wookiees: Your army would consist entirely of Troopers.

saberhagen
10-12-2003, 06:58 PM
The Imperial worker is a bit dubious as well. IIRC the only ASP 7 is in ANH special edition at Mos Eisley. I don't think we see any of them working for the empire.

As for the Rebs: you'd better be very good at trooper rushing, cos you'll die in T3 without mechs or heavies.

And I don't think I'd fancy playing Empire without pummels or artillery...

Admiral Vostok
10-13-2003, 01:05 AM
That's true about the ASP-7, though we don't really know that it isn't working for the Empire.

I rarely use pummels and artillery with the Empire, though I'm not the best player around...

lukeiamyourdad
10-13-2003, 01:44 AM
Lol. Always use artillery, you must.

I wish we could really do a fight like this...but the world isn't flat...

Since most of us haven't played in ages, we'll have a huge bunch of noobs fighting each others:p well except for a few but for the sake of a fair game we'll put them aside.

saberhagen
10-13-2003, 10:40 AM
Yeah, artillery is the best general purpose weapon. It's not particularly good against any one thing, but it's not particulary bad at anything either. It can be destroyed very quickly by mounties (if they get near it) but doesn't take much damage from other things.

Pummels are the only viable way to quickly take down fortresses or CCs in T3. You can get a CC with art or even massed mounties, but it takes longer, costs more and you have to send in more units to counter defenders.

BTW if you're confed, reeks are the best thing to use against turrets.

Frozted_MM's
10-13-2003, 12:00 PM
Yea but reeks aint available until T3 which is kinda a waste since hardly anyone uses the animals with the confed civ.

Artillary is one of the best units in the game they can crush mechs when massed and slaughter entire groups of troops with ease any successful army in the game will have a few artillary in it.

Ohh and for all us gamers/multiplayers in the forums we don't care about what civ we fight with cause they all the same anyways and we still kick ass just bonuses and 1 unique unit per civ is the only difference ohh and a few less techs which we all work around.

Now that vostok mentioned the confed cannon I finally remembered where I saw it :D, confed cannon is a large step since it definately did not have that purpose in the movie and we didnt really see it for long enough to see what it fully looked like.

The gungan worker is a design that was gonna be used for the gungan species but wasn't so the designers used it for this game instead so its now the gungan worker.

AU_Skythe
10-13-2003, 12:15 PM
Well, i beat mega twice in a row ages ago, but he'd probably own me now cos i havent played in aggggges... got my hard drive formatted and had my CC cd lent out to someone... can only play battlegrounds now.

Admiral Vostok
10-13-2003, 12:23 PM
Frozted - actually there's a number of things that were designed for the movies but didn't get used, then ended up in SWGB. The Gungan Worker is correct, but also the Gungan Fighter (it was actually designed for The Empire Strikes Back, then they eventually used it in Attack of the Clones on Kamino!) and the Trade Federation and Naboo Advanced Fighters were alternate designs as well. I think that's what I like the most... it's as close to Canon as possible!

lukeiamyourdad
10-13-2003, 04:58 PM
I think it's nice that they dug up stuff like that. It's nice to see an alternate star wars dimension(non EU might I say).

Frozted_MM's
10-14-2003, 05:23 AM
I didnt really dig up anything I just read it somewhere and just added it in.

We need a name for this 3rd dimension of Star Wars :D

Admiral Vostok
10-14-2003, 06:21 AM
Hmm, quite right Frozted. Perhaps couldabeen-Canon? :cool:

AU_Skythe
10-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Wow the gungan fighter was planned for ESB? What were they gonna use it for? I cant imagine those thingos on hoth..

Darth Windu
10-14-2003, 01:23 PM
Skythe - i think you missed the point. The creature we see flying out of, then into, the waves on Kamino was originally planned as a flying creature native to Bespin.

Then, when Ep1 was being planned, that creature was going to be the Gungan Fighter, but it was decided that that was silly. Finally, the creature was included as a native of Kamino in Ep2.

Admiral Vostok
10-14-2003, 11:15 PM
As Windu said, the Aiwha as it is now called was originally going to be some sort of native creature of Bespin, that people would be flying around on for some reason or other. If you have a look at the old book of Ralph McQuarrie's art, which came out around the early nineties I believe, it's got a painting by him of an Aiwha flying through the clouds of Bespin. Interestingly this book also has art depicting Alderaan, and since it seems likely Alderaan will be an Episode III planet, I wonder whether they'll use some of his designs?

swphreak
10-15-2003, 09:52 AM
and for the nonpurists, EU maniacs like me, I believe in the YJK series, there are flying creatures that look like and are described as Aiwhas. So in the end, they were on Bespin.

And as for the best player on the forums, I think we should set up a tournament thingy for the forum :D

lukeiamyourdad
10-15-2003, 07:35 PM
Wow a tourney...

geez...

I can't get to T3 under 20mins anymore!!!

Oh god...

I think it would be an old-players-who-haven't-played-in-a-long-time-and-now-totally-sucks festival.

Admiral Vostok
10-15-2003, 10:57 PM
Hmm, a tournament, I like the idea. But how could it work? Unfortunately the Time Zones pose trouble... yet with careful planning I suppose it could be done...

swphreak
10-16-2003, 09:50 AM
Yea, with planning it could be done. Maybe start the first eliminations by time zones, and then find a way to work around the time zone thing. Or we can just set it up and have matches whenever possible...

Also, DMUK is still an M+ at the zone right? he can get us permission to use the Tourny rooms.

Admiral Vostok
10-16-2003, 09:42 PM
I quite like this idea, Phreak. I have no experience with computer game tournaments, so I don't really know how they work or anything, though despite that I'd like to do what I can to help organise the whole thing. If no one else wants to run it, someone could tell me what I need to do and I'll do it.

Sithmaster_821
10-17-2003, 01:12 AM
I think that a tourney would be cool, especially the whole elimination by time zone thing, cause the only good player here in my time zone (that I know of) is pbguy:D. Doubt that DMUK will grant us access to the tourney rooms though. He really seems like he wants ot keep his M+ separate from his moderating of a SWGB forum, cause it could jeopordize his position.

Admiral Vostok
10-17-2003, 02:25 AM
This is true, but I think direct IP connection might be the best way to do things instead of the Zone. Not sure though, what do others think?

saberhagen
10-17-2003, 10:33 AM
The only tourneys I've played in have been of the kind where everyone turns up to a room on the zone at once and all the matches are played one after the other. Obviously this wouldn't work here, but I think there are other ways we could do it.

I definitely agree that it would be good to divide it into time zone groups. As a starting point, I'd suggest 3 groups: Americas, Europe and Australia - there will still be differences but I hope these can be overcome if everyone can be a bit flexible (and I hope I haven't forgotten anyone on another continent!).

As there probably won't be huge numbers of people in each group, I think it should be a league/round robin type thing, where everyone in each group gets to play everyone else. This is likely to be more fun than a single elimination thing, as bad luck in one game won't mean that you're out for good. Don't even think about Swiss - it's far too complicated. In practice it can only really be done through MFO, which defeats the object of having a tourney for this forum.

People would be responsible for organising their own matches between themselves. You know that you have to play everyone in your group once, so it's up to players to find mutually convenient times. The matches wouldn't have to be played in any particular order. Results would be posted somewhere (presumably here, or sent to a mod who would edit them into a stuck thread). Games would have to be recorded (and maybe posted at Hositility's rec site or somewhere else). A player would get say 1 point for a win and nothing for a loss (I'm assuming that the possibility of a draw is so unlikey as to be not worth considering).

Once everyone has played everyone else, the top one or two players in each group can then go through to knockout finals, which could pose bigger time zone problems, but I'm hoping that the lure of winning will tempt people to be more flexible.

Settings would most likely be standard RM 1v1 with CC1.1. Not sure whther there should be a time limit, and if so what it should be. I think not less than 60 minutes.

Some problems which still need to be thought about:

What happens if a match in the group stages doesn't get played? I'm assuming we'd have to think of a reasonable deadline for all games to bve played by, otherwise it could go on forever and people might lose interest. But if a match is still outstanding at the deadline it could cause problems. I can't think of a solution that isn't open to abuse one way or another, but as long as everyone acts in good faith it probably won't come to that.

We also need to think about what happens if someone drops during a game.

Another thing is, who should be allowed to enter? Should it be open to all comers, or should there be criteria based on how active you are on this forum?

swphreak
10-17-2003, 02:00 PM
I think anyone that comes to the forums should be able to join.

And I've never set up a tourny...

lukeiamyourdad
10-18-2003, 12:23 AM
I think it should be the regular posters.
Some guy who comes in a posts only one post so he can join the tourney would be weird and probably an ******* who wants to beat us up.

We all have a very busy schedule(school, work, school work:p )
and it the probability of two people on seperate continents being able to play together are very very thin...

Admiral Vostok
10-18-2003, 05:30 AM
That all sounds reasonable, saberhagen.

While inter-timezone play will be difficult, saberhagen is correct in that people will probably be willing to be a little flexible. If ity is too hard for you to allow time for an inter-zone game, you'll have to relinquish the game to the next highest from you continent.

As for who gets to play, I'd say we set up a sort of sign up thread here. Some non-regulars may sign up, and if they do I say us regulars should allow them, but we'll challenge their entrance and ask that they confirm their admission within, say, 5 days. If they don't respond within the given time, they shall not be included.

I think we should keep score on a central website.

swphreak
10-18-2003, 07:10 PM
I had some... free time, so I made this: Tourny Sign up (http://hometown.aol.com/starwarsphreak/email.html)

Go there, fill out that form if you want to join. I'll make a list and order it by time zone.

DK_Viceroy
10-18-2003, 07:19 PM
Would It Be OK if i could sign up my clan as well it would do for good training as well as a reason to try and get them to do so more intensive training other than hard against 3 comps

Admiral Vostok
10-19-2003, 06:54 AM
Hmm, well it was supposed to be a forumite-only thing, Viceroy. I'm going to say no, but it depends on what others think.

saberhagen
10-19-2003, 11:27 AM
I think we're jumping the gun a bit. We're still only at the vague ideas stage. I think we need more discussion before we do anything definite. Apart from anything else, it makes no sense to start signing people up before we've decided what the rules are or who's eligible.

On the other hand, some preliminary registration of interest will be useful so we all have a better idea of what we're dealing with - how many people are likely to be playing and which time zones they're in.

Ideally we need someone to be in charge of organising this and arbitrating the rules, who doesn't actually want to play in it (separation of powers - very important).

swphreak
10-19-2003, 05:46 PM
Well, if we're not going to have many people join, then we'll be wasting our time. If we're only going to have 5 people, we could just make dates to play with each other, and bitch to each other til we play.

saberhagen
10-20-2003, 09:53 AM
I suggest that everyone who's interested in taking part should sign up at phreak's site, then we'll know how many we're dealing with and in which time zones.

I'll draft some provisional rules and then we can discuss them in more detail.

I think this can still happen independently of the monthly thing suggested by DMUK as they're different types of thing and there's no reason why people can't be in both if they want.

Admiral Vostok
10-20-2003, 12:33 PM
I don't think we'll have the luxury of an independent arbitrator. I think there should be an organiser for each continent, who can still play, then we need a global co-ordinator.

Sithmaster_821
10-20-2003, 09:51 PM
I think instead of a tourney, that we should have an ongoing ladder system that would allow forumers more freedom in forming games, and there would never be a definitive winner, just a person at the top of the ladder that everyone is aiming to beat. Also, that way we could avoid messy timezone conflicts, since everyone will be graded on the same point scale, they could be placed in the ladder simultaneous. Also, you can just PM people you want to have a ladder game with, and privately work out the details, and then just simply report back to the central ladder organizer(s) who the winner was.

Its done quite effectively at AoMH.

All we would need is a ladder thread and a list of all of the participants ranked based on points allotted.

swphreak
10-20-2003, 11:56 PM
Well, I'll let you, Vostok and saber deal with the type of tournament. I can do what I'm currently doing. I have no clue on how to organize a tournament. I'm just trying to get things rolling because I think this would be fun, and it'll get us playing the game.

saberhagen
10-21-2003, 09:55 AM
I think a ladder might work better now you mention it. The regional groups thing would probably need at least 4 people in each group to be worth doing, and it's debatable as to whether we could get that just with regular forumers.

A ladder still brings some of the same practical problems (dealing with dropping, cheating etc) and some new ones, particularly making a fair scoring system, but we can copy existing ladders.

We still have to decide who's eligible. With a ladder system, we could open it up, but still have unofficial rankings for forumers. It occurs to me that the remaining inter+/experts are crying out for a decent ladder, but it also occurs to me that getting them involved could be more trouble than it's worth (read all the backbiting and accusations of cheating/smurfing at the GiRL forums and be very afraid!). Another thing is that it could only work as a manual forum thread if there were very few people in it and if it isn't seriously competitive, otherwise it would need to be run on a php/mysql site with an automated system to calculate scores when players report results.

Admiral Vostok
10-21-2003, 10:30 AM
A ladder sounds good though I have no idea how they work. But I'm happy to Australasian Galactic Battles Ladder Co-Ordinator.

swphreak
10-21-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by saberhagen
Another thing is that it could only work as a manual forum thread if there were very few people in it and if it isn't seriously competitive, otherwise it would need to be run on a php/mysql site with an automated system to calculate scores when players report results.

Yea, since it's small right now, I'm just doing the site I have manually. Also, I don't know PHP so if it comes to that, someone else can take over the site.

Sithmaster_821
10-21-2003, 09:57 PM
Yeah, the ladder would be forumers only, and would be fairly non-competitive (we're all friends here). There arent that many forumers, and we rarely can get games together, so I wouldnt worry about overload...

saberhagen
10-22-2003, 09:52 AM
I've had a slightly insane idea for a ladder scoring system. I'm not sure if it would work in practice, but it could be fun.

Basically, everyone starts on the same score. When they play a match they have to bet half their score. The winner gets the pot and the loser gets nothing.

For example:

Player A and player B have 100 points each. A beats B so now has 150 points, but B goes down to 50.

If it was an easy victory and A wants to bash B again, he will only get 25 for a win but risks losing 75. As a further disincentive to bashing the same person several times, you would be banned from playing the same person twice in a row or twice in the same time period (a day, a week, whatever).

To encourage people to play as often as possible, rather than getting a good score and jealously guarding it, there could be a monthly bonus/penalty - if you played more than the average number of matches that month you would get say a 25% bonus to your score, but if you were below average you'd get a similar penalty.

The exact details and figures probably need some testing/tweaking, but it's an interesting concept. Let me know what you think.

Admiral Vostok
10-22-2003, 11:48 AM
Sounds alright, but perhaps the loser should not lose any points? Or only lose half what the winner gains? Otherwise we the stakes wouldn't go up any (we communally be stuck with exactly the same amount of points).

swphreak
10-22-2003, 03:41 PM
AOM has a similar system. It's called Challenge Mode or something like that. The player would bet 'x' amount of posts an the winner gets the pot.

saberhagen
10-22-2003, 06:40 PM
If the loser didn't lose any points from losing a match, then the winner would be able to to win the same amount by beating them again, which encourages you to bash anyone you know is not as good as you. I planned it so that there are diminishing returns from beating the same person repeatedly.

If it works, it should give a kind of ranking, but there will be potential for rapid changes of fortune, which could either make it more fun and exciting, or just annoy people, depending on your point of view. Any more criticisms would be appreciated.

Sithmaster_821
10-22-2003, 08:30 PM
Here's my two cents:

If two players are even in score value, then the winner would gain the same amount of points that they would have had lost.

Player A (100) beats Player B (100). Player A gains 25 and Player B loses 25. If Player B won, then he would gain 25 and Player a would lose 25 points.

If there is a difference in score, then the points alloted and taken away if the higher person wins will be proportionally smaller than the points given/taken with equal players, but if the lower scored player wins, there will be a greater amount of points lost/gained

Player A (125) rematches Player B (75), and wins. He only gains 13 points and Player B only loses 13 points. If Player B wins, he would gain 37 points and Player A would lose 37 points.

This also helps persaude against continually bashing the same person.

The sum of the number of potential points that someone could win plus the potential points that they could lose in any match should always equal a pre-set number: in this scenerio it was 50.

saberhagen
10-23-2003, 10:51 AM
That sounds like quite a complicated formula. I was thinking of half the loser's score, just because it's simple. In practice (if it ever did get put into practice) I would probably base it around binary numbers, thereby avoiding fractions as much as possible (eg everyone starts on 1024 or something like that).

If scores were calculated dynamically by a web script, it would be easier to use int values. Although it's unlikely to get that big, and will probably have to be administered manually via a forum thread. This means keeping it simple to minimise disputes and mistakes. People will always know what they stand to gain/lose from a match without having to think too much.

Edit: My mathematical assumptions were totally wrong. Testing a few hypothetical situations I realised you can hit fractions sooner than I thought. If someone with a very high score beats someone with a very low score then loses a few games in a row, they could end up with a 3 figure score which won't divide by 2, which really screws everything up.

This is how envisage a forum thread system working:

Whoever is in charge of administrating the competition will post a thread and hopefully DMUK will sticky it. The first post will be a summary of the scores and standings, to be updated by the administrator whenever necessary. Everyone who enters will have to post ONE reply to this thread. This contains their details (zone name etc), matches played and results and their current score. They will edit their own post whenever they play, adding the result of the match to it and amending their own score. Once a day, the admin will check all the posts and update the summary post if anything has changed. Thus the admin's summary will just be a guide to the standings. The latest real time info on each player will be contained in that player's post. They will have to come and edit it as soon as it changes.

Just an idea, but it's the best way I can think of keeping things up to date without resorting to php/sql.

lukeiamyourdad
10-23-2003, 09:45 PM
Wow so complicated...

What happens if some very lousy player gets to 0 points?

Sithmaster_821
10-23-2003, 11:46 PM
My method avoids the chance of getting a zero or a negative and, as for fractions, just round...

Admiral Vostok
10-24-2003, 12:15 AM
I like Sith's idea. But I'm unclear on how you determine exactly what fractions of points are awarded in uneven matches. Do you suggest that the more games that occur between the same people, the lower the stakes get?

Now, saberhagen's post brought up a question: do we play via the Zone or with direct IP?

saberhagen
10-24-2003, 10:05 AM
Zone or IP doesn't matter. Whatever system we decide to use, it would be up to players to organise matches between themselves and they could use whatever method they want.

After some more thought, I've realised what was wrong with my scoring system: no matter how high your score is, you can only divide it the same number of times as the gain you got from your smallest win (eg if you've ever beaten someone with 16 points you will only be able to divide your score 3 times before it screws up). A possible solution would be to make the starting scores very large.

My original idea with 0 points would be that there are free bonus points available to take the player back up to a certain level under certain circumstances.

Problem now is this is all getting very complicated and it was originally supposed to be an elegantly simple idea that everyone would be able to grasp with no trouble. It might be easier to copy a scoring system from an exisitng ladder rather than making up our own, but from what I've seen, their forumulas are quite complicated.

swphreak
10-24-2003, 03:32 PM
How about this: Everyone plays everyone once. The winner of matches get 1 point. After everyone has played everyone once, the top couple of high scorers go on to the next round. It'll keep going n til there are 2 people left, and that match will decide the winner. I think that's real simple...

lukeiamyourdad
10-25-2003, 01:55 AM
Why not just use your overall scores in each games you play(you know the score you get) and keep adding it up that way. It can go to enormous numbers but still...it's easy...

saberhagen
10-26-2003, 08:25 AM
I just went to pro-ladder.com intending to copy their scoring system and found out that they're planning to allow people to start their own private ladders for clans etc, so if it happens soon we could get one for the forum. Should be a lot more convenient than trying to make up our own system.

Admiral Vostok
10-26-2003, 08:29 AM
That sounds like a great idea, saberhagen. I'll have a look at it now and give my opinion.

Sithmaster_821
10-26-2003, 11:57 PM
Sounds like a good idea to me too. That way we dont have to deal wit hthe messy formulas. As long as the ladder is free mind you...

swphreak
10-27-2003, 09:40 AM
I don't care, get it done. i want to play already.

Admiral Vostok
10-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Yes, is anything being done towards making this a reality? Or should I do it? If it's left up to me it won't get a look for at least two weeks - I have many assignments to write. My last assignments ever! Yay! ...unless I do post-graduate stuff... :eyeraise:

saberhagen
10-28-2003, 11:06 AM
There's also www.myleague.com

It's free to set up and join although players have to pay extra if they want more detailed stats.

pro-ladder is free afaik. If everyone agrees, I'll e-mail pro-ladder and ask them to set up a private ladder for us.

swphreak
10-28-2003, 01:59 PM
go right ahead

Admiral Vostok
10-28-2003, 09:34 PM
Agreed :D

saberhagen
10-29-2003, 09:18 AM
Cool, I'll get it set up.

We still need to decide on who's eligible to join. It's no problem at the moment because we know who the forum regulars are, but I'm thinking about the future: at what point would a new member of the forum be entitled to join the ladder? We have to consider that having this going might be a way of encouraging more people to join the forum, but on the other hand, we don't necesssarily want good but arrogant players coming here just so they can bash us without contributing anything constructive to the discussions.

Maybe new members would have to be voted in to the ladder by existing players?

swphreak
10-29-2003, 09:39 AM
hazing ritual

maybe we invite them to a battle, and we judge them while we play. Judge his attitude. If he's an ******* in game, odds are, he won't be voted in. Maybe have a "Senior Forum Dude board" or "Jedi Council" type thingy to vote.

And they can't be considered til they have posted 'x' times in here, and we'll judge those posts as well.

saberhagen
10-29-2003, 05:48 PM
What does everyone else think? I don't want it to be too exclusive, but on the other hand it could go wrong if we let just anyone in.

Another thing:

Should we have a time limit, and if so, how long?

swphreak
10-29-2003, 06:19 PM
Depends. If I'm rushed, it would only take about 45 minutes tops to beat me... If I'm not rushed, it may be a while... I've played a game recently and it took like 2 hours before I finished...

lukeiamyourdad
10-29-2003, 07:08 PM
I don't think there should be a time limit. Long games can be fun :p

Admiral Vostok
10-29-2003, 10:33 PM
I think no time limit.

As for who can join, I suggest a "Jedi Council" made up of us (specifically Me, saberhagen, lukeiamyourdad, StarWarsPhreak and anyone else you guys think - we're the ones doing most of the planning), and to join the group the person needs to be accepted by at least half of the Jedi Council. We will, as Phreak said, judge them on a single game and any posting they do on the forums here.

To this end it is somewhat exclusive, but not entirely closed to new comers.

lukeiamyourdad
10-30-2003, 02:23 AM
AS such, I'll mention in advance that if some newcomer at the forum who the council judges that he can participate, won't be booted out if he kicks our asses. Unless he's being a jerk about it.

Admiral Vostok
10-30-2003, 02:58 AM
Agreed. I don't really think we'll ban him because he can beat us, if that were the case we might not get any new members :D

saberhagen
10-30-2003, 09:37 AM
I can't say I'm too comfortable with the idea of having a ruling clique who judge newcomers. And judging their games as well as their posts on the forum is probably a bit too much and might be impractical.

I'd be happier with more open criteria related to the forum eg anyone is eligible to join the ladder from 1 month after their first post as long as they've posted reasonably regularly and it isn't just spam or flaming.

We need to remember that this isn't really our forum, it's DMUK's forum and maybe he should have some input into this.

Also remember that if someone is in the ladder, you don't necessarily have to play them if you don't want to.

swphreak
10-30-2003, 09:46 AM
As long as they're not *******s, they're ok to join.

saberhagen
10-30-2003, 08:06 PM
The ladder has now been set up. See my post in the Online and Multiplayer forum for details (I thought it would be nice to try and revive it - although it probably won't work).

lukeiamyourdad
10-30-2003, 08:56 PM
You seriously should post it here. No one will see it down there...

Council- I don't think we should judge his gaming skills first too. He should be able to participate if say he posted x number of non-spam flaming posts or simply how relevent his posts are in a month. Then he should be able to participate.

I'm just saying that, no one will boot anyone out unless he's being an ass about winning or losing...

Admiral Vostok
10-30-2003, 10:12 PM
Yeah that sounds like a better idea.

I still think we need some sort of Council just to make decisions and so forth. Five is a good number so we can include DMUK as well (whether he likes it or not!)

Sithmaster_821
11-01-2003, 01:58 AM
Yeah, a council is a good idea for the few weeks or so, but once everything is laid out, then we'll all just be getting in the way.

The rest of the limits look good...

saberhagen
11-01-2003, 08:36 AM
I think you're right that we need a decision making body as the altrnatives are dictatorship or anarchy!

The responsibilities of this group will be to deide whether new members can join and to arbitrate in cases where someone is accused of cheating. The game rules and settings are already defined and anyone who joins implicitly accepts them.

I suggest members of the group should include:

Me
Luke' Dad
Phreak
Vostok
Corran
Sithmaster

And any other known forum regulars who want to join the ladder. DMUK can have some input if he wants, but I'm guessing he won't have time to be too heavily involved.

I suggest that in order to stop someone from joining the ladder, at least half of the council will have to object within a week of their application, otherwise they're in. I'd like it to be as inclusive as possible.

lukeiamyourdad
11-01-2003, 01:28 PM
We need a seventh member so we can avoid a 50/50 draw. It's better this way.

Perhaps Kimba or Frozted or maybe even DMUK.

P.S: He left out Windu! Lol

saberhagen
11-01-2003, 06:12 PM
I don't think Windu has expressed any interest so far, but of course he's welcome if he wants in. I just put people on mylist if they'd already signed up to the ladder or I thought they'd said they were going to.

I don't really mind who does it. I'm not expecting any serious divisions (but then you never know with this forum). I just think it's important that we get started asap.

Sithmaster_821
11-02-2003, 02:14 AM
I think DMUK deserves the honor of the tie breaking vote.

saberhagen
11-02-2003, 08:24 AM
We also need to consider that we might be wasting our time devising elaborate membership criteria and procedures as not many people still play this game and not many of them come to this forum. Also, in practice we might find it difficult to keep people out for obvious (if you've already signed up) reasons.

Whatever we do, it's up to the regular forumers to decide, but please decide quickly. I've had a pm from someone who is quite new but is interested in playing, and I need to tell him something soon.

Admiral Vostok
11-02-2003, 07:30 PM
Who are they? If they don't post often enough for us to know who they are, it's hard to accept them into the forum group...

swphreak
11-02-2003, 09:05 PM
So far there are only 4 people registered. I had 5 on my site. Anyways, I'm gonna challenge someone soon...

saberhagen
11-03-2003, 05:50 PM
I don't think it's fair to discuss individual cases in public.

What I'm saying is, we need to decide very soon whether we are having membership criteria, and if so, what they should be and who is going to decide whether they have been met.

As far as I'm concerned, the easiest way to proceed would just be to let in anyone who asks but not publicise the url. If anyone wants more restrictions than that, then please sort it out asap. But as I pointed out before, keeping people out could be quite difficult and in practice, we might find we have the opposite problem: not enough people in it. Remember, you don't have to play someone if you don't want to, and anyone who is caught cheating can be banned from pro-ladder by the pro-ladder admins.

BTW, anyone who is already in it can start playing as long as they accept the rules as stated in the MP forum.

Admiral Vostok
11-03-2003, 10:49 PM
I think they should have at least 10 posts in this forum. That means 10 in Galactic Discussion, not 1 here and 9 in Off-Topic or something even less related to Galactic Battlegrounds. What do others think?

lukeiamyourdad
11-03-2003, 11:26 PM
10 posts? They must be quite long...

saberhagen
11-04-2003, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
I think they should have at least 10 posts in this forum. That means 10 in Galactic Discussion, not 1 here and 9 in Off-Topic or something even less related to Galactic Battlegrounds. What do others think?

I could live with that if it's what everyone wants. If not speak now.

If it's that simple, do we still want/need a council? And if so does it need to be as big as we were thinking before?

lukeiamyourdad
11-04-2003, 07:32 PM
I think we do. It could also be kind of a jury which can judge people who are accused to be jerks, a-holes, cheaters, etc.

Anyway, 10 non spam post is doable. However, they should return here and continue on posting after they join.

Admiral Vostok
11-05-2003, 12:34 AM
I think the Council needs to be present as the quality of these 10 posts needs to be judged. If they're five lots of double-posted spam I think we might have some problems...

Continued presence on the board is desirable. Of course people can always refuse to play them if they don't come to the boards anymore. Is there a penalty for not playing games for a while?

saberhagen
11-05-2003, 06:32 PM
No penalty for not playing - your score just stays the same (but you might think that is a penalty).

OK, any regulars who want to be on the council, say so (we can't make people be on it against their will). And you can't be on the council unless you sign up for the ladder as otherwise there wouldn't be much point.

Current members of the ladder are:

Me
Vostok
Corransec
Phreak

Sithmaster is supposed to be in the process of joining but hasn't yet.

Of course any known regulars can join the ladder without going through any selection, just pm me for details.

lukeiamyourdad
11-05-2003, 06:59 PM
Oh I forgot to post it in the Multiplayer forum but I already signed up at pro-ladder:D

Sithmaster_821
11-06-2003, 02:33 AM
I thought I joined....Wonder what I did wrong?

saberhagen
11-06-2003, 07:27 PM
It's ok sith, you are on it now. Still can't see luke's dad. After you've opened an account at pro-ladder, you need to go to the private url. Once you're on the page with our ladder on it, you need to click join.

Any more takers for being on the council? Come on...

Admiral Vostok
11-06-2003, 10:07 PM
I think Luke's Dad should be on the Council, as he has been part of the organisational discussions we've had in this thread. That would then make a council of five, which will ensure we aren't ever split down the middle on a decision.

Sithmaster_821
11-07-2003, 02:30 AM
I count six, not five, Vostok....

Admiral Vostok
11-07-2003, 02:50 AM
Oh, did you want to be on the Council too? Because saberhagen's post said him, me, CorranSec and Phreak. Though I think You, Sith, should be on it more than I think Corran should. Corran hasn't contributed much to the formation of the ladder, but you have. So in summary I think the Council should be:

saberhagen
lukeiamyourdad
Sithmaster_821
StarWarsPhreak
Admiral Vostok

saberhagen
11-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Ok, does everyone on that list want to be on the council? Reply or pm me to confirm whether you want to or not. If you're all up for it then we have our council and we can start doing things.

swphreak
11-07-2003, 06:25 PM
That's ok with me.

I'm starting to challenge people. Check your PMs. First one to reply to me gets first slice of my guts.

lukeiamyourdad
11-07-2003, 11:27 PM
Ok I want to be on the council. It'll be fun. I just hope I can be objective enough and not be bribed by the player's hot sister...:D

Sithmaster_821
11-08-2003, 12:10 AM
Vostok, that was a list of people who had joined the ladder at that time. We talked about the six people for the council earlier

*hurries off to PM*

Admiral Vostok
11-08-2003, 01:46 AM
Gotcha. I hand in my last assignment ever on Monday, so after then expect to see PMs from me...

CorranSec
11-12-2003, 05:36 AM
Hi everyone. I've both a) had exams and b) completely failed to notice this thread, and only found out about the tournament because Phreak mentioned it to me on MSN.
I am thinking... is this Council thing really necessary? I think it'll only be truly necessary if there are masses of people signing up and we want to exclude, say, known cheaters or something, but really, how many people do you expect?
I wouldn't mind being on the Council, and although I haven't read this whole thread and thus don't know the whole story, it just seems a little overblown to me, based on what I've seen of interest in this tournament.

saberhagen
11-12-2003, 09:33 AM
Well, we've got it now, so fait accompli. I agree that it could prove to be overkill in practise, but it's still better to have it just in case we need it. It seems to be working ok so far - we were able to decide fairly quickly once the council was up and running.

So everyone, get playing....

CorranSec
11-13-2003, 05:44 AM
So how are we organising our games? What's the council doing? Am I in it? :S Perhaps I'll check my PMs one of this days....

saberhagen
11-13-2003, 10:33 AM
I've put a long post on the MP forum which explains everything about the ladder.

Sithmaster_821
11-14-2003, 12:45 AM
I'll check my PMs one of this days....
Ditto

swphreak
11-15-2003, 05:32 PM
Ok you slackers. Me and saberhagen got it moving. Now start playing :p

Connemara2100
11-21-2003, 08:39 PM
"I just hope I can be objective enough and not be bribed by the player's hot sister"

And what if the player herself is hot? :cool:

Sorry to be the newb wandering around your thread, just saying I am really looking forward to joining your ladder when I get the posts and all. I have a hard time finding anyone to play GBG or any strategy game with.

:)

Connemara2100
11-21-2003, 08:40 PM
"I just hope I can be objective enough and not be bribed by the player's hot sister"

And what if the player herself is hot? :cool:

Sorry to be the newb wandering around your thread, just saying I am really looking forward to joining your ladder when I get the posts and all. I have a hard time finding anyone to play GBG or any strategy game with.

lukeiamyourdad
11-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by Connemara2100

1.And what if the player herself is hot? :cool:

2.Sorry to be the newb wandering around your thread, just saying I am really looking forward to joining your ladder when I get the posts and all. I have a hard time finding anyone to play GBG or any strategy game with.

1.Hmmm...No comment:p

2.You'll be able to join in when the council is ready to accept ya. Shouldn't take long anyway. When most of the other council member are going to see ya, they'll let ya in probably!

Connemara2100
11-26-2003, 10:10 PM
Well, I joined the league, and played my first match. It was a scary site to behold. :p

I challenged SWPhreak by PM, but if anyone else wants to play, feel free to challenge me. :)

//end overenthusiastic gamerzoring

:p

Admiral Vostok
11-29-2003, 01:25 AM
Well, Luke's Dad and I just finished the closest, most exciting, most enjoyable game I've ever played. He was Rebels and I was Naboo, and the game went for over an hour, neck and neck the whole way! I won in the end thanks to having nabbed four of the holocrons early.

This ladder certainly has renewed my interest and even improved my playing. It's a shame the forum is getting deader each day...

EDIT: I tried to put the recording on my webpage for anyone interested, but it won't work. So I can't show off :(

lukeiamyourdad
11-29-2003, 01:28 AM
Stop showing off vostok *shakes fist*

Nah it was a very cool game:D Even though I lost:p

The forum has seen worst days, it'll be fine in a few weeks.

The following people have not yet played a game:

-Corran
-Sith
-General Nitro

If you're out there, come on let's get playing people!!!:atat:

Connemara2100
11-29-2003, 02:40 AM
Vostok- Saberhagen and I were discussing the lack of ladder players as well as members of this forum. The trouble is, until GBG II comes out, it will continue to die if left to it's own devices. It is the sad way of game forums.

However, I know at least three friends (and certainly four if he ever gets his LAN worked out) that might be coaxed into joining the ladder and posting here. However, they are of course, not current members of this board. If you want, I coul.d try and get them involved, but don't wanna horn in, so lemme know. :)

I will play anyone, been discussing with Phreak if he wants to play a match, but he won't be available until next weekend at the earliest, so I'm up for soemthing. Any takers? I am prolly not that challenging an opponent (yet, that's why I need to play a lot of matches...to get better! ;) )

lukeiamyourdad
11-29-2003, 02:45 AM
They can join the forum if they want, that's not really our forum so we can't control who comes in(although I do have some admin contacts ;) ).
If they wanna join, tell them to come here and post. We shall judge then if they're worthy of joining the private ladder.
New members are always welcome( PLZ I BEG YOU TO COME! WE'RE DYING HERE!).

Anyway, as long as they behave, don't flame, don't show-off, don't be jerks, don't think they're so greater then everyone, etc. They'll be accepted.

Admiral Vostok
11-29-2003, 02:48 AM
Yeah, what Luke's Dad said. They must join the forums though, we're trying to create a ladder for forum members, not a forum for ladder members.

I'll send you a PM now, Connemara...

Connemara2100
11-29-2003, 02:34 PM
Ok, well, I'll mention it to them.

Frozted_MM's
11-30-2003, 06:03 AM
If your guys promote this ladder to much it will only be a matter of time before the experts on the zone start signing up here and sweeping the ladder like a fire storm.

Admiral Vostok
11-30-2003, 06:47 AM
That's why we formed the council, to get rid of them :D

Seriously though, if a zoner wants to join the ladder just so they can prove they are better than the 8 or so ladder members, they need a better passtime.

saberhagen
11-30-2003, 08:45 AM
I don't think the experts will be interested as most of them tend to treat this forum with toal contempt. Mega already knows about the ladder and dismissed it as a waste of time. Anyway, if they were really interested they would have kept the public pro ladder going, but it's been dead since March.

Frozted: do you want to join?

BTW does anyone understand the scoring formula, cos I can't get my head round it at all. I can't see how it evaluates to the scores I actually got unless I've misunderstood it or their operator precedence is severely wrong.

Sithmaster_821
11-30-2003, 12:20 PM
Play a game? Is that a requirement for staying on the ladder? Oh, well, all this talk about SWGB makes me feel reminiscent, so I just may challenge somebody (or check my PM to see if I was challenged). I'm nowhere near as good as I was in my hayday (somewhere between an inter and an expert).

CorranSec
12-01-2003, 07:27 AM
I may well do the same and perhaps take a few steps towards reestablishing myself as a gaming god in my own right.
Or not. Overplaying of WarCraft III has left me slightly numb towards all sense of GB-style strategy. Shoot me, Sith... shoot me now.
But yes, I should be challenging someone pretty soon. It's just that normally I don't have the time to just sit down and play for several hours at a time.

swphreak
12-01-2003, 10:06 AM
Corran, if your games take longer than an hour, I'll put on a dress and dance for you.

Admiral Vostok
12-01-2003, 09:29 PM
The game that Luke's Dad and I played took longer than an hour... though we were exhausted by the end of it...

Note that is not a request for your dress and dance routine, Phreak.

Connemara2100
12-01-2003, 09:40 PM
"Play a game? Is that a requirement for staying on the ladder?"

Well, that is sort of the concept behind a ladder to begin with. :p

And I dunno what you guys are talking about. A good challenging GBG game (thats mean NO rushing) can take a very long time. But I don't see why you couldn't start a game one day, then finish it next time ya got the chance. That's what I do with the games I play.

Frozted_MM's
12-01-2003, 11:55 PM
No i don't want to join itll be 2 over-powered since ive been playing on the zone for 2 years..

Connemara2100
12-02-2003, 12:30 AM
Overpowered? Hmmm? What do you mean?

Admiral Vostok
12-02-2003, 02:23 AM
That's okay Frozted, we'll go easy on you. :D

Frozted_MM's
12-02-2003, 10:23 AM
I'm sure you will :D

swphreak
12-02-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
Note that is not a request for your dress and dance routine, Phreak.

*gets dress*

Are you sure? Alright...

*puts dress and jukebox away*

Said by Frozted_M&M's
No i don't want to join itll be 2 over-powered since ive been playing on the zone for 2 years..

Are you saying you'll overpower us? Well... overpower me is probably true, but I think saber and some others would own you <.<

Speaking of saber... I bet $30 he'll win the ladder! :D

Frozted_MM's
12-02-2003, 10:27 AM
Don't judge before you play. And ive never seen saber online in an inter+ game ever so we shall see.

OHHH yes sign me up :P

Admiral Vostok
12-02-2003, 11:46 PM
I find it amusing that Frozted believes you can't be a good player if you haven't spent time on the Zone :rolleyes:. If I have to play on the Zone to become a good player, I'll just stay mediocre thanks very much.

Sithmaster_821
12-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Frosted, this comes from experience. It doesnt matter how long you have been playing on the Zone, it matters who your opponents are. When I first got the game, I played in rook games for a long time, not chalenging myself, and winning a lot. But I was really only a good rook at best still. It wasn't until I started playing people above me (inters) that I got better. The smae thing happened with inter games soon. I just kept playing them and winning, and not challenging myself with games with good players. So playing for 2 years can mean nothing.

And, as for your statement about saber-I played many an inter+ game, and never saw you either. In fact, I only saw pbguy, who lives in my state and plays when I do only whenever I invited him.

Frozted_MM's
12-03-2003, 10:03 AM
How long ago was this.... and name some of the inters you beat up I'm sure ill ask them :)

swphreak
12-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Or, quit hiding and play a game against them. get it over with.

Connemara2100
12-03-2003, 01:49 PM
Yeah, the Zone is lame. I used to play JK on there, and that was fun, but I imagine it would be less amusing to play GBG. It's a lot more satisfying just ripping into annoying Zoners with a lightsaber, but if you try and beat them stategically, they get angry and stuff.

See? I am nice, because I don't get that way. I can be creamed and just be like, ok.

Though I did get rather irrtable after I was rushed by saber...mainly because I didn't expect a rush maneuver. This time I was prepared, unfortunately, it did me no good.

Did you choose that map on purpose Vostok? Cause that is a seriously screwy game for whoeevr ends up on the smaller island. :p

Though I am also trying to master the art of scouting for holocrons and building up a decent fort at the same time. Apparently, I still have some work to do, seeing as I ended up with one holocron and Vostok had four. :p That makes a hell of a lot of difference.

Sithmaster_821
12-03-2003, 09:30 PM
Frosted-It was a year+ ago, so I dont remember names, but I never recall seeing yours.

And I do plan to challenge someone in the near future, just haven't decided who yet.

Admiral Vostok
12-04-2003, 01:09 AM
Clearly Frozted is scared that if he joins this ladder he won't be able to pretend he's the best player in the world anymore.

Connemara - well the map was random, I didn't choose it. And although I got the bigger island, most of the Ore and Nova was on yours, that's why I built that base at the bottom of your island. I did have heaps of carbon though :D

Sithmaster_821
12-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Doing pretty well Vostok: 2 for 2 I see

swphreak
12-04-2003, 02:19 AM
M&Ms can't do worse than me...

After seeing the scores, Connemara, me and you are having a match this weekend!

Frozted_MM's
12-04-2003, 02:22 AM
Well 1st of all I didn't say I'm the best player Vostok loves to talk the talk but can he walk the walk we shall see soon enough.

Sithmaster_821
12-04-2003, 02:24 AM
MM's, I never said you were a bad player. I just cautioned you from assuming that you were better than people you've never played.

Frozted_MM's
12-04-2003, 02:30 AM
Well I didn't say to anyone that I was better than you all I said was I don't wanna sign up cause it would ruin your fun for the not so good guys who hardly ever play anymore.

Admiral Vostok
12-04-2003, 03:23 AM
I don't care if you join or not Frozted. I'm not saying I'm the best player either but at least I don't go around thinking everyone else must be crap if they don't play on the Zone.

Sith: 3 for 3 actually :p

swphreak
12-04-2003, 10:22 AM
... I don't wanna sign up cause it would ruin your fun for the not so good guys...

that would be me...

You know what, just join. No one cries if they lose, and I'm already losing so it won't bother me.

Connemara2100
12-04-2003, 08:34 PM
Yeah, dude, I'm already down two for two, my newbish fun is already spoilt. :p I am embarrassed at how low my score may go, but at least it is good expereince and all.

StarWarsPhreak- my thoughts exaxtly. :p

Sithmaster_821
12-05-2003, 12:13 AM
Frosted-this aint a pro-ladder or a tourny. This is just a fun idea to reinvigorate the board. No one cares if they win or lose.

saberhagen
12-05-2003, 08:19 AM
Actually I asked Frozted to join because I thought he would almost certainly be able to beat me! Just about anyone in JMC can have me. If I keep winning no one will want to play me. :)

And no, I'm nowhere near inter+. I'm inter on a good day, but I've been mostly playing in low inter games. I've only been playing for about 6 months, so old timers probabably wouldn't have seen me on anyway.

Frozted_MM's
12-06-2003, 10:09 AM
Well I have news for ya I've left JMC and possibly going to DrUnK :) (if i stay with the game)

Connemara2100
12-06-2003, 12:01 PM
Meh, if you're inter, that must make me like, below rookie, lol. Oh well. If I could swallow my pride and go play a few games on he Zone for practice, I might get better. But in the mean time, I'm just building up my expereince from games on this ladder and against friends. And the sad thing is, for the most part, my friends suck. One of them makes me look like a pro. Kinda takes away the fun of the game, really.

saberhagen
12-06-2003, 05:46 PM
Read everything you can find on all the SWGB sites about strats. Skythe's FAQs at Heaven are particularly good, and there's more good stuff at MFO. Also download and watch recs of good players so you can learn from them. Whenever I get beaten by someone better than me, I don't mind as long as it's recorded, cos then I can see how to improve.

The most important thing to remember is keep a constant food flow throughout T1 and make lots of workers.

Sithmaster_821
12-06-2003, 06:13 PM
Never stop building workers. When it seems like you have enough, build more. Your command center(s) should be busy from t1 through t4 building workers. And build a lot of military buildings.

lukeiamyourdad
12-06-2003, 07:04 PM
Yeah well you have to stop someday...when you've reached 200 workers I guess that can be enough:rolleyes:

Frozted_MM's
12-06-2003, 09:52 PM
Balance your resources evenly you should have about the same amount of carb as food ore and nova are different just collect all the stockpiles you see if you need more nova trade or get the holos.

Connemara2100
12-07-2003, 01:47 AM
Hehe, thanks for the tips guys. :)

swphreak
12-07-2003, 05:43 AM
I've been getting better with the workers. If I'm alive long enough, I eventually get like 60 or so workers. And big supply of Carbon and Food the most, then I work on Ore and Nova.

Can I see some of yall's recorded games? Of the ladder matches.

Frozted_MM's
12-07-2003, 06:53 AM
If you plan on using nova units in the game i suggest you hit nova in t1 or early t2 same with ore if you wanna fort up hit that early.

Sithmaster_821
12-08-2003, 11:55 AM
Yeah, you want to balance your resources with their predicted use amount.

Connemara2100
12-09-2003, 12:42 AM
I think I might have recorded one or both of the ladder games I played. I'd hafta check.

Admiral Vostok
12-09-2003, 12:51 AM
We're supposed to be recording all of them to avoid cheating.

saberhagen
12-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Yes, it's the host's job to make sure record game is selected along with making all the other settigns correct. If a game is recorded, all players aautomatically get a copy of it on their hard drives.

Connemara2100
12-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Ok, well, I didn't host either of the games I played in, so I don't hafta worry. :) I might wanna see those games anyway, though, to see what I did wrong. :p