PDA

View Full Version : SIEGE Team Starter

griff38
10-08-2003, 05:31 PM
Hello, I want to get together some regulars for a siege team.

Siege is great fun but teams rarely work together.

I want a team of 8 - 16 players who like to work together and have a high level of discipline.

Respond to this thread or send a pm if you prefer.

Kurgan
10-08-2003, 08:24 PM
Are you starting a clan?

I'm in Iowa on a DSL line. I love to play Siege, but I don't have the time that a clan would require (or that I'd want to devote to a clan).

But if you just want somebody to play with semi-regularly, just let me know, sounds like a great idea. ; )

griff38
10-08-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Are you starting a clan?

I'm in Iowa on a DSL line. I love to play Siege, but I don't have the time that a clan would require (or that I'd want to devote to a clan).

But if you just want somebody to play with semi-regularly, just let me know, sounds like a great idea. ; )

NO on the clan, instead I thought something less formal.

A loose group of folks who know how to play as a team when appropriate.

At the least lets get together and do some siege my brother MaN.

StormHammer
10-08-2003, 08:48 PM
I haven't actually tried Siege mode yet. I did sit down and watch others play it for about 2 hours solid...to get an idea of the locations, the objectives, and some tactics. ;)

I'll start playing Siege soon, so when I get up to speed with it, I'd be interested. ;)

Neverhoodian
10-08-2003, 10:48 PM
I'm interested in being a part of this group. I know all too well what can happen if your team has nothing but glory-seekers and the clueless. With dedicated players, there could be some very good Siege games. Count me in!

btw, my game name is {DH}Klayvid{Lt}, {DH} for Dark Horizons.

eastcoast2895
10-08-2003, 11:46 PM
this sounds like a great idea to me since the main thing keeping me away from clans are the schedules and what not. so how loose is loose. and if its really loose, u can count me in too cuz like Neverhoodian said sometimes i play and there ppl don't seem that directed and everyone is out for themselves.

Furious
10-09-2003, 12:46 PM
I'd be interested in this. I usually can play on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Thursday evenings (8:30 PM EST). Are we going to exchange emails? Let me know.

:evanpiel:
Furious

majortom1969
10-09-2003, 01:51 PM
Ya dude its great to work as a solid team
my clanmates and me
we got like 24 members
and about 8 of us play siege allot
most of the times we play just 3-4 members
but we use Yahoo or teamchat
and that works fantastic
bcs u dont waste time by typing the tactics/commands
bcs the clock is counting ;)

i really advise when u play siege to use a headset/mic
it gives the game another dimension

good luck to u all

Tom

Prime
10-09-2003, 02:22 PM
I'd be interested, griff. I've only played a few games, and they have been fun, but they would be so much better if people weren't trying to play it like FFA and yelling, "STFU newb! Saber down = peace !!1!!1".

An organized game sounds great...

Pedro The Hutt
10-09-2003, 02:44 PM
Although I never got round to playing Siege yet , I'm open for giving it a try XD

JDKnite188
10-09-2003, 07:54 PM
I used to play in a clan for Jedi Outcast FF Guns CTF, but the problem was the time and scheduling issue. This idea of a "loose group" just to have fun is great!

Siege owns the day. Update us on the plans for this team. My alias is below in my signature.

Does anybody know some good Siege servers? For CTFers "Extreme CTF" is a great server (name is incorrectly spelled though).

bodstevens
10-10-2003, 12:16 AM
Great idea im tired of lamers and loud mouths in siege games Im in

Kurgan
10-10-2003, 02:31 AM
I've spent a lot of time "teaching people the ropes" in Siege if I don't have enough people to play.

So if you want some such lessons, drop by my server and I'll be happy to help you out if I can.

Btw, you can add bots into your empty Siege game (they just jump around uselessly) if you want to practice the level.

\addbot <name> <skill 1-5> <team red or blue>

Usually a bot name of a character you know is on a map works (for example Rebel or Snowtrooper, on hoth or Rebel or Rodian, Trandoshan, etc on desert, Reborn or Jedi on Korriban)

Once the round starts you can always kick allbots to get rid of the jumpy man if you want.

Actually they will fight the enemy, but they stay in the "first objective spawn area" so once you complete the first objective, they will never ever get in the enemy's way. On Korriban they just jump into the lava and die. : p

Prime
10-10-2003, 03:27 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I've spent a lot of time "teaching people the ropes" in Siege if I don't have enough people to play. It is probably worth having some practice runs the first couple of times through. Making sure everyone knows the objectives would make games better in the long run...

StormHammer
10-10-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by Prime
It is probably worth having some practice runs the first couple of times through. Making sure everyone knows the objectives would make games better in the long run...

I agree. Although there is a lot to be said for simply 'watching' other people play, if you've never tried the game mode before. As I stated above, I set aside a good few hours one evening to simply join a Siege server (one that was pretty full), and simply sat there as a spectator. By doing that, I learned the locations of all the key objectives, some tricks and tactics, and what 'not' to do in a given situation. It also helped to make it apparent some of the classes you really 'need' to play some of the maps effectively.

I felt a lot more confident joining a game after watching other people - and I didn't even have to both reading the 'objective map', although it's a good idea to acquaint yourself with that too.

I'm all for the idea of a group of people who want to play the game in a more professional manner. I mean, on one of the servers I joined, there were a coiuple of 'team-killers' floating around, and we had to keep kicking them off the server. It ruined the enjoyment of what would otherwise have been a great match.

When I asked for someone to back me up when trying to get to the Infirmary on Hoth (via the tunnel, not the elevator)...I was pretty much ignored for a few minutes while my team-mates kept dying because TD's were raining on their heads from above. Earlier on in that same match, I'd got into the AT-ST and was trying to take down the shield-generator - but none of my team were keeping the DEMP-packers and rocketeers off my back, so I had to resort to trying to take those out first myself. I guess that's a classic case of people trying to do their own thing, and not working as a team to achieve the 'objective'.

So I think it would be a good idea for people to share their views on particular strategies for tackling each part of a map, for one thing. Like watching a Tech's back as he hacks the panel to open the tunnel to the Infirmary. Or keeping the DEMPs and Rockets off the back of the AT-ST pilot, etc.

JediNyt
10-10-2003, 07:00 AM
I love siege I think its the best game type but unfortunately there are only about 3 servers playing it at any one time and they mostly lag! :mad: I see people posting that they get 20 siege servers. :confused: How is this?

StormHammer
10-10-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by JediNyt
I love siege I think its the best game type but unfortunately there are only about 3 servers playing it at any one time and they mostly lag! :mad: I see people posting that they get 20 siege servers. :confused: How is this?

If you are using the in-game browser, you will not see many servers available for any game type. Why this is, I can't say, unless it's a bug.

Anyway, I use All Seeing Eye (can't remember the web address - just use Google to do a search) for finding servers to play on. It's a useful utility that can be used for all your MP-enabled games, not just Jedi Academy - and it breaks down the server lists into each game mode for you. I highly recommend it. ;)

BloodRiot
10-10-2003, 02:34 PM
I'm in if you want me.

Mail me at bloodriot@netcabo.pt.

I like to work as a team and I can be a tech for all i care. as long as other people are doing their work i can have fun as any honestly :)

Siege is fun for me cuz I come from C&C Renegade as well... and C&C REN is a team multiplayer game no matter what... seldom or never actually will one gloryhound own everything. But a nice coordinated team would finish a map in just a few minutes.

And It really got on my nerves seeing everybody buying the fighting classes and leave home base out in the open. I was usually a repairman... but even so It got on my nerves cuz with several keypoints to protect... if I was alone (and I was often alone) I could not hold out one keypoint against a good organized assault from demolitions experts and soldiers for backup...less more could i defend the entire base.

Or you'd have the opposite... 75% of the peopel had technitians and the map could go on and on cuz although they couldn't destroy us.. our isolated assaults were inefective.

On some games were the players seemed to be more in sync.. the gameplay was awesome. With good balance between classes, a few could guard the bases, and the others would assault and drive back opponents as well as taking techinitians along for repairs and healing on the battle front.

SO hell yeah I think something not as formal as clan for ocasional games sounds like a great idea.

I'd really luv to play a part there.

Hope to ear from you guyz soon.

Cheers.

Prime
10-10-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by BloodRiot
I like to work as a team and I can be a tech for all i care. as long as other people are doing their work i can have fun as any honestly :) I agree. I've been using the Heavy Weapons guy for the most part, but I'd be happy playing just about any class. The more variety the better really... :)

SideArm
10-10-2003, 03:30 PM
would be interested, am tired of typing "the left wall is down stop shooting the right one" in the des map

Paddypaddywan
10-10-2003, 09:33 PM
I'm in.

Name is [RJ]Mith.

PM me with details.

AIM Screen name is bao6.

eastcoast2895
10-12-2003, 03:07 AM
so uh griff38 we doin this, or are u already doin this and i didn't get invited?

StormHammer
10-12-2003, 03:50 AM
Yeah, when is this going to transpire?

Anyway, now that I've had a chance to play the game a bit more, I find I'm tending to favour being the Assault class. I can switch to any class and have a go of it if need be (like switch to Tech to open a door if there's none on the team) - but I'm better at Assault.

Hekx
10-12-2003, 11:54 AM
It sounds like a great idea.
I play Siege all the time.

I tend to opt for assault and explosives, and generally do suicidal attacks with det packs and mines. :D
I'm quite familiar with most of the objectives on all three maps.

I'm in. :)

Kengo
10-12-2003, 11:59 AM
Great idea man. I'm not interested in clanning any more, but a semi-organised siege get-together on a good server sounds like fun. The chance to blow Prime to pieces also appeals :) Count me in!

Kurgan
10-12-2003, 04:26 PM
I tried ASE for the first time last night and you guys were right.

Nearly 500 JA servers, vs. about 30 in the in-game browser.

Wow...

After playing a lot more Siege, I can say I'm becoming familiar with the various pathways through the maps.

The map I really feel like I need to work on is Desert, as I hardly use many of the classes (usually just Assault on offense or Tech or Assault on defense).

Btw, I'm sure you've all read Raven's siege faq, but I've begun updating my page again (see link in sig) and fixed a lot of the errors and oversights on it with regards to Siege. I still have a long way to go, but it's looking better!

Pedro The Hutt
10-12-2003, 04:32 PM
Speaking of which, thanks for the help Kurgan XD
After the initiation to Siege, I think I'm pretty comfortable being a support class like a Tech. I think I could live with being a scout too. ^.^

eastcoast2895
10-12-2003, 07:33 PM
yeah i don't mind what class u put me in (although i am always assualt diff experience makes more fun). and i say we expand this to ctf too. got annoyed last night when i played and everyone went on defense or everyone went on offense. hopes this gets started

Emon
10-12-2003, 07:39 PM
You're best off with a JK.net players group. No clan, no association, just a group of regulars. And links on the main page to server info, status, server addresses, etc. Siege would be the best focus for the group, in my opinion, because it's going to grow far more than any other game type.

Prime
10-13-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Kengo
The chance to blow Prime to pieces also appeals :) Oh, it's on now Kengo! :D

Shakey Mac
10-13-2003, 03:01 AM
sounds like fun. id love to help out. im most likely to be available tuesday nights, thursdays nights and the weekends.

i make a good jedi or heavy weapons man. i can also be a decent scout. im ok with the rest of the classes, but most people seem to choose assault and demolitions/heavy weapons, so i tend to fill in whatever holes a side might have.

my handle is Shakey Mac. email me at shakey_mac@yahoo.com

SonGohanX
10-13-2003, 05:54 AM
Although I'm a complete n00b to Siege. I'm up for a good team based game. Count me in, I'm pretty available.

IM: SonGohanX
email: songohanx@sc.rr.com

Furious
10-13-2003, 11:52 AM
Ok, why don't we name a place (server) and time to meet up tonight. Anyone know of a decent server we should use? My ingame name will be Furious. Lets see if we can get this rolling and have some fun :biggs:

Cheers,
Furious

shinobi2204
10-13-2003, 01:11 PM
Some seige play with people who actually go after the right objectives? Oooh, yes please, pm me and let me know when, (UK times would be best)

StormHammer
10-13-2003, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Furious
Ok, why don't we name a place (server) and time to meet up tonight. Anyone know of a decent server we should use? My ingame name will be Furious. Lets see if we can get this rolling and have some fun :biggs:

Cheers,
Furious

I don't know about 'decent' servers...but all those I've played on so far have been fine. Only one or two crashed after horrendous pings. I just pick at random - whichever server has some players on.

There should be no problems finding an 'empty' server, however, because about two-thirds of those that ASE finds are usually empty at the moment. Until the in-game browser bug is 'fixed' we can basically pick and choose to find a server most of the players in this group can get an acceptable ping. It seems to only take one person with a ping of 999 to stop the show for everyone else, unfortunately.

I'd also recommend getting together in the #jediknight IRC channel, so we can try out lots of different servers to find the right one to suit our needs, and discuss any issues in real-time. JAMinimizer is a useful utility to minimise JA while it's running, so we can chat as well. Having said that, I don't think JAMinimizer likes my PC for some reason. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't.

Anyway, food for thought. ;)

griff38
10-13-2003, 05:35 PM
Hello everyone. I must apologize for dropping the ball on this. I totaled my car recently and the airbag broke my right thumb. Not to mention bashing my handsome face.

I hope you can understand my priorities have not been focused on the forum or JA recently. :p

But with all the interest, I plan to collect the e-mails of everyone who responded and get back with everyone with some low ping 24/7 siege servers and times and other info to help us get together.

At your convienance PM me with your e-mail and I will get started soon.

Pedro The Hutt
10-13-2003, 08:10 PM
Blimey, heal fast man! a thumb is an invaluable tool for a gamer.

JDKnite188
10-14-2003, 01:46 AM
I am glad I might be able to play with a big bunch of casual, sensible gamers in a MP mode that is truly awesome. I usually find myself playing with n00bs or too few people. I totally support this the whole loose team!

What server will we choose? Will we join a random, empty server? How are we going to organize all this?

Its all a great idea and Lucasforums or at least the community should sponsor this kind of stuff.

Kurgan
10-14-2003, 07:03 AM
Now that I've got ASE finding servers is no problem.

The problem I have is people leaving prematurely.

I run a Siege server and unless three people join at once and I get in there in time, I won't have a game.

Why?

Because people are only willing to join a game and wait 2 seconds before they leave without saying a word.

How inconsiderate! I'm assuming they don't realize they can just click on server info if they never want to join an empty server.

Anyway, as I've said a million times, yes, nobody wants to wait for a game, but if nobody breaks the ice and waits, you'll never have a game period, because the chances are not good that three people will all join at the same time (and even then often two of those people will leave because of the "lag" they get in the first 30 seconds of connecting).

I wish people were more patient... they're missing out on a lot of playing time by giving me the run-around.

Pedro The Hutt
10-14-2003, 07:18 AM
Poor Kurgan, personally I at least hang around 5 minutes and more to see if a soul joins. If not, mah well, let's see if the bots can entertain me XD

Kurgan
10-14-2003, 08:26 AM
Good for you Pedro. ; )

If more people thought like you we wouldn't have so many empty Siege servers (and people wonder why there are so many... sheesh).

Blankie
10-14-2003, 11:09 AM
people can't see half the siege servers. Personally, I play games to... play the game. I would never wait 5 minutes. Just like most people wouldn't join a 20 person duel server. There is always a server with people in it where I ping under 100 that I can join and get right into the action... so why wait at all?

What you should do is just post a time and a IP address. Or email or PM or whatever.

Blank

Kurgan
10-14-2003, 02:12 PM
I guess what we're really saying is that pick-up games of Siege are impossible.

The four Siege servers that are always full and password protected on the in-game server browser is probably all most people see. ; p

Ah well, here's hoping Raven fixes the server bug.

JDKnite188
10-14-2003, 07:57 PM
It is sad that I have to use All Seeing Eye to see the servers because the JA menu doesn't give me even a quarter of the actual active servers.

Gamespy might be a good choice also for looking at servers.

Pedro The Hutt
10-15-2003, 09:29 AM
Speaking of All Seeing Eye, does it give my poor PC any spy- or adware upon installing it? >.>

eastcoast2895
10-15-2003, 11:59 PM
yeah or does anyone know if they fixed the hack problem w/ gamespy?

JDKnite188
10-16-2003, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Pedro The Hutt
Speaking of All Seeing Eye, does it give my poor PC any spy- or adware upon installing it? >.>

No, there is no adware or spyware. Feel safe :) You don't even need to register (I have an unregistered 21 day trial version that I have been using for more than a year without difficulty).

Andy867
10-16-2003, 02:19 AM
Well, seeing as how I am definitely objective base and can do the job required in almost any class, you can count me in. Just let me know when and where, and I'll be there, cept on most weekends.

Kengo
10-16-2003, 10:37 AM
I seem to remember the ingame server browser for JO was pretty medicore, it certainly didnt get anywhere near the total number of servers. I quite liked QTracker for JO (its freeware), but it doesn't have JA support yet methinks.

We have a server for this weekend...? :)

Kengo
10-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Don't you just hate it when all of a sudden theres a whole load of people angrily knocking on your door demanding money. Oh, hello there.

QTracker now has JA support (thanks to Kurgan for letting us know on the news page), I personally prefer it to its competitors.

Pedro The Hutt
10-20-2003, 02:51 PM
Hmm, methinks I might look into it >.>