PDA

View Full Version : Very confused noob


AndiH
10-19-2003, 07:50 PM
I downloaded the GTK map making utility yesterday. Tried fiddling around with it for half an hour, read all the tutorials to do with JA, and i still had no idea what to do. I'm getting so frustrated with it now, the tutorials are absoloutely rubbish. So could someone please help me out here.. please.

Chewy289
10-19-2003, 08:19 PM
Very easy mapping tutorial, click here (http://www.theconcretedonkeys.com/images/stfu.jpg)

lassev
10-19-2003, 09:02 PM
There aren't too many tutorials for JA yet. In the meantime, go to:

http://richdiesal.jedioutcastmaps.com/tutorials/

That's for JO and JK2Radiant, but should work great with GTK and JA.

A word of warning, however. Don't wander around calling tutorials rubbish. Some people did their best and invested their own time to write them. And a stronger word of warning still: Don't ever call RichDiesal's legacy tutorials rubbish, or you will be lynched without the right to appeal... ;)

Well, I admit that Chewy's tutorial was really rubbish :)

Emon
10-19-2003, 09:32 PM
Except his detail brush tutorial, that's pure rubbish, even Rich has admitted to that.

shukrallah
10-20-2003, 11:32 AM
I almost never ever use detail brushes.. i dont care if the compile takes a little longer, the map runs better.. right?

GothiX
10-20-2003, 12:05 PM
Not quite.

http://www.nibsworld.com/rtcw/tutorial_detail_and_hint_brushes_part1.shtml

wedge2211
10-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
I almost never ever use detail brushes.. i dont care if the compile takes a little longer, the map runs better.. right?

:eek: No.

Read the tut GothicX linked to.

shukrallah
10-20-2003, 12:55 PM
Well, the reason i havnt used detail that much, is because i made an outside map one time, with an imperial base in it, you could go inside the base, and it was pretty large. I used caulk as much as could, and the fps was ok for my system specs, and the size of the map. It had a lot of patches and hills and stuff outside... Anyways, the compile took a while, and i made the whole base deatail, then the FPS droped so far down it wasnt funny. I made them structrual but it was still pretty bad.... so i had to give up the map :(

AndiH
10-20-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Chewy289
Very easy mapping tutorial, click here (http://www.theconcretedonkeys.com/images/stfu.jpg)

Oh yeah very helpfull. What exactly did you do when you had first seen the program for the first time? We were all noobs at something one time or another.

Anyway.. thanks to everyone else who has actually attempted to help, unlike some people, mentioning no names, chewy289.

lassev
10-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Well, the reason i havnt used detail that much, is because i made an outside map one time, with an imperial base in it, you could go inside the base, and it was pretty large. I used caulk as much as could, and the fps was ok for my system specs, and the size of the map. It had a lot of patches and hills and stuff outside... Anyways, the compile took a while, and i made the whole base deatail, then the FPS droped so far down it wasnt funny. I made them structrual but it was still pretty bad.... so i had to give up the map :(

You are a man of extremes :)

I use truly a lot of detail brushes. Project Lighthouse wasn't architecturally very complicated, but still I can say that by using extensively detail brushing I kept the compile times really short. It's importance cannot be overemphasized, but obviously you have to know how to use it.

Chewy289
10-20-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by AndiH
Oh yeah very helpfull. What exactly did you do when you had first seen the program for the first time? We were all noobs at something one time or another.

Anyway.. thanks to everyone else who has actually attempted to help, unlike some people, mentioning no names, chewy289.

thx

shukrallah
10-20-2003, 09:17 PM
well, when i did that, i didnt know it would make the FPS drop like that. It was the best map ive ever made :D and had never seen a jk2 map, where you could actually go inside, outside around, and ontop of a building... a large building too, not a couple simple rooms :) oh well, i plan to remake it for ja