PDA

View Full Version : ridiculously large cover scans etc

Pages : [1] 2

SpiffyTheDog
10-20-2003, 05:25 PM
alright well i'm looking for some ridiculously large scans of the front and back covers of any of the following games:

-secret of monkey island (just the back - i've got the front)
-monkey island 2
-cmi
-emi
-full throttle
-the dig
-while i'm at it, any of the king's quest games

(by ridiculously large i mean at least 2170 pixels high. No, really.)

if you have some/know where i could find any you'd just be the most awesome person ever. Thanks etc.

Drigo Zoxx
10-20-2003, 09:31 PM
The fair solution would be to actually buy the games whose covers you are looking for. ;) No one on this forum would ever do such large scans like the one you're asking for, considering that these could be used for illegal reasons (like reprinting fake game retail boxes or whatever). :rolleyes:

SpiffyTheDog
10-20-2003, 10:09 PM
i'm not asking people to scan them, i'm asking if they know where i'd be able to find scans of them. I don't have a scanner and those games in the actual boxes and not just cd cases are kind of hard to find.

elTee
10-21-2003, 02:21 PM
Being as that you got the only other one you have from me anyway, I'll do the rest when I go home, and send them to you when I come back to uni. (That'll be a few weeks, but before christmas)

SpiffyTheDog
10-21-2003, 11:16 PM
jesus, tones, you're just awesome. I'm totally giving you 75%-credit on these dvdcovers (yeah, it's as if all your dreams have come true.)

(by the way, yes, i said dvdcovers. I'm making dvdcovers of classic games. Commence the makefunnery.)

QueZTone
10-22-2003, 11:06 PM
how big are his scans? 2000+ pixels reso make good A3 or even A2 posters

HenryJonesJr.
10-23-2003, 02:28 PM
yo tones could you send them my way too? thanks

CaliMonk
10-24-2003, 06:29 AM
Could you just stick it on some website? I'd love to get them aswell, if its great quality i'd print it so i can frame it and hang it on my wall :D

QueZTone
10-24-2003, 01:09 PM
exactly my thought

elTee
10-25-2003, 09:40 AM
When I scanned the art originally posters were my intention as well. And the image resolution is sufficiently high enough to fit on A1, or even A0 I think. However, its a touchy subject - I myself can get them printed on A0 or A1 for a paltry £10, but there is a copyright issue. If anyone did make posters, they would have to get them printed themselves, and not make any profit from them. My conscience is clean, anyway - if LucasArts made official box-art posters I'd buy them (like the FOA one) - but they don't.

I would stick them on a website, but each image is around 15Mb. This is because the plain image looks... well, not so great - not bad, but could be better. So I apply a few imaging effects and voila:

Actual Size sample of original image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview2.jpg)

Actual Size sample of edited final image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview.jpg)

You already told me about the DVD covers and it sounds pretty cool :D

JBRAA
10-25-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by LucasTones
When I scanned the art originally posters were my intention as well. And the image resolution is sufficiently high enough to fit on A1, or even A0 I think. However, its a touchy subject - I myself can get them printed on A0 or A1 for a paltry £10, but there is a copyright issue. If anyone did make posters, they would have to get them printed themselves, and not make any profit from them. My conscience is clean, anyway - if LucasArts made official box-art posters I'd buy them (like the FOA one) - but they don't.

I would stick them on a website, but each image is around 15Mb. This is because the plain image looks... well, not so great - not bad, but could be better. So I apply a few imaging effects and voila:

Actual Size sample of original image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview2.jpg)

Actual Size sample of edited final image (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/preview.jpg)

You already told me about the DVD covers and it sounds pretty cool :D

What filter did you use when you edited the image? Or what techniques? You cleared the spots right outta there without smearing it. Looks great.

elTee
10-26-2003, 09:02 AM
Yeah, it does look good considering the resolution. You can still kinda see the spots on his cheek, but its way better than the original.

As for filters - I used a program I have made by Micrografx. Its like Paint-Shop Pro or Photoshop but a lot less advanced and a hell of a lot cheaper. Anyway, it has a wide variety of image effects, and I fiddled around with various filters in order to remove the spots. I think I used a smoother and some artistic filters.

CaliMonk
10-27-2003, 11:38 AM
I totally get the legal issue, i'd personally just use it to hang in my own house. I've been waiting years for a possibility to have such posters but LucasArts just never makes them unfortunatly. Fortunatly with Pirates of the Carribean movie there was an official poster which i bought :)

Anyway i'd love to get these, so i can finally have a way of making myself a great poster. LucasArts is free ot make them theirselves though i'd be all for it :)

CaliMonk
10-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Besides that i'd really love to see liek Dansky or Paco make big pictures of their art, i'd love to hang that on the wall as well (Like the header for the Scummbar Forum, that would be great!)

SpiffyTheDog
10-27-2003, 09:42 PM
i'm just making dvd covers cuz i want to have these games in a more collectible/less fragile form. That and i'm a huge dvd collector so having them as a part of my collection would make me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Laserschwert
10-28-2003, 02:35 PM
Well, the ideas in here are GREAT.

I too would love to have some hi-res scans of several covers (Especially Monkey Island 1-3, since I only have them as the German "Monkey Island Collection", which doesn't have the original covers).

Making DVD-Covers for them is a good idea, since the revised versions of some games (as available in the US and UK... not Germany :( ) do come in amaray-cases, which would make them nice to look at AND - as said - less fragile. Scans of those amaray-covers would be great too.

And last but not least, I (as the founder of the Soundtrack CD Covers of Monkey Island (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2) site, am planning to make more soundtracks as well as covers for all of them. There are a few problems though:

- I don't have all the games (or I don't have them with their original covers, since some of them came in some sort of collection)

- most of my German covers look slightly different (at least the German titles), and I would prefer the original English covers

- several sites on the web contain scans of covers (some on fan sites, some on site ESPECIALLY MADE for downloading covers), but they all have scans in terrible quality (or they are too low-res)

That's why I need perfect scans of english covers (meaning 300dpi and not too highly compressed)... especially from these games:

Day of the Tentacle
Sam & Max Hit the Road
Outlaws
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
Dark Forces
X-Wing and (not "vs."!!!) Tie Fighter (if possible the original covers, since I already have the "CD-ROM Editions")

I would be really happy if you would participate in this and help me out.

Oh yeah, since I would love to make some posters, I would really like scans of Monkey Island 1-4 as well...

Jake
10-31-2003, 03:49 PM
For the record, I think LucasArts did actually make an official poster of the Monkey Island 1 box art, but I don't think they made very many of them. I would like one if anyone has two :)

hibernatus
10-31-2003, 11:33 PM
I used to have one. I think i got it in a French magazine.
I would also like to get those scans. I like Steve Purcell's art. Zak, MI1 & MI2 have nice boxes.

elTee
11-03-2003, 10:09 PM
In one of my LucasArts Adventurers there's an advert for posters of box art for Maniac Mansion, Zak McKracken, Loom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade and The Secret of Monkey Island. I once asked LucasArts if these posters were still available and they said no.

CaliMonk
11-04-2003, 08:18 AM
So LucasTones and idea when and/or if your going to share your big resolution pictures with us? :)

elTee
11-06-2003, 02:25 AM
Well, I don't have the images yet. I still need to scan all the boxes and edit the art - this I can do in an afternoon, but my scanner is in Preston and I am in Manchester. I'll be home before christmas, I'll do it then. As for sharing.. I'm undecided. Maybe you should ask Spiffy if he could give you them after I send them to him :)

CaliMonk
11-06-2003, 05:31 AM
Cool, so Spiffy would you be nice enough to send me them after you receive them? You'd make me a really nice Christmas gift with that :D

SpiffyTheDog
11-10-2003, 02:33 AM
my totally awesome agenda!:

1. Receive scans.
2. Make dvd covers.
3. Post dvd covers online and milk them for all they're worth.
4. Start a grand uprising of computer game dvd covers. Be in history books. Etc.
5. Sleep

perhaps after i make my first million i'll consider posting them all online in their raw form.

yes, this entire post was a joke after step 3.

except for that last part.

and that part.

and that.

and that.

and that. and that. and that.

and that.

SpiffyTheDog
11-10-2003, 02:56 AM
also back on the subject of posters and such i just found a poster of the box art of indiana jones and the fate of atlantis on ebay and bought it. Should arrive shortly. Yay.

CaliMonk
11-10-2003, 05:47 AM
So you wont give anyone the raw images but just make DVD Covers which we could download?

That would be a shame because my whole point is having the Covers for the game series hanging on my Wall. Monkey Island to be exact...

elTee
11-10-2003, 11:02 AM
Spiffy, the Indy poster rocks - I have it too. Its actually slightly larger than the standard one-sheet movie posters, and looks so professional. I have a poster for Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade as well (the movie) and the two look great side by side.

SpiffyTheDog
11-10-2003, 09:46 PM
cali- you could always just download the dvd covers and crop it so that you'd just have the front. If someone provided me with a suitable server I'd totally put them up, and if you ask me for them once I get them i'll gladly send them to you. I think tones would feel the same way here but i can't be sure. It's just not really that big of a deal. I'm lucky enough to be getting them free as they are from him.

CaliMonk
11-11-2003, 05:41 AM
Ah i thought you'd resize the DVD Covers to a normal format like 1200x800 or something simular, if you'd keep it at the big size they originally are then it wouldn't matter that much i reckon... Although the original complete box would be sweeter :)

jp-30
01-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Hmmm. I'm wondering if there's any progress on this idea?

I'd love to store my bulky, shelf-overhanging boxes away & just use DVD cases for my old games.

Oh, and converted to print-standard 300dpi JPG would be fine, I reckon. File size should be manageable at that resolution & file format.

elTee
01-07-2004, 11:10 PM
Yeah, I have the scans. Very high res, I edited them myself so they look good when you view them at 100%. I can't upload until friday, and I'll update the post then.

CaliMonk
01-14-2004, 06:51 AM
* CaliMonk gets all excited

elTee
01-14-2004, 10:13 AM
Oh what to do what to do...
Well, I have the scans. They rock :D But I can't upload them all to my mojo space - they take up a LOT of space. There are 15 scans in all, every LucasArts classic adventure with both versions of Full Throttle. Resolution is, as requested, ridiculous. So, suggestions? I guess I could upload one per day for two weeks, but I would only be able to fit one on at a time - so if you miss a day, you miss a day. There's always IRC, I'm usually on there so if you want to come to #monkey-island on gamesnet I can DCC them to you.

Alien426
01-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Why don't you upload one and see how the reactions are?

Graphics format, resolution, file size?

EDIT: How about getting some annoying free web space?

jp-30
01-14-2004, 05:15 PM
As I mentioned just before, converted to print-standard 300dpi JPG would be fine, I reckon. File size should be manageable at that resolution & file format.

elTee
01-14-2004, 06:35 PM
Okay, I've compressed one down to 8Mb for you to sample. Full resolution here, please give any ideas in terms of preparing the file for printing:

Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/02-zm-a.jpg)

JBRAA
01-14-2004, 06:47 PM
NICE 6372x8118 =)
Though, I must know what optical resolution your scanner has. 600x1200? 1200x2400? 2400x4800?

jp-30
01-14-2004, 07:19 PM
Well, I know I'd be happy with standard magazine print resolution.

A DVD coverslick is 27.2cm x 18.2 cm

at 300dpi that reduces down to

3212 x 2149 pixels.

Your Zak McKraken front cover (very nice, by the way) at 100% JPG quality goes from 6312x8118 pixels to 1687x2149 pixels, the file size reduces to 2.4MB, and at 300dpi, the quality is absolutely fine. Saved at 95% JPG quality (indescernable from 100% quality when printed) it reduces in filesize by half again to 1.2MB.

While it's good to work in ridiculously high resolution, there is no need for the final uploaded version to be any greater resolution than magazine print quality - 300dpi.

Also, are you making full DVD slicks with spines and the back coming from the back of the original box, or just converting the front pictures of the boxes?

Also note that the original author of this thread was thinking 300dpi resolution when he said "ridiculously high"

(by ridiculously large i mean at least 2170 pixels high. No, really.)

21 pixels difference to my proposed final size - negligible. Just due to the DVD slick I measured being a mm or so different to the one he measured.

Udvarnoky
01-14-2004, 07:48 PM
Hey, Maniac Mansion comes first...;)

elTee
01-16-2004, 02:47 PM
I don't know anything about dpi's or resolutions, I just scanned them at the same size as the Monkey Island one that I had already made. As Spiffy said that one was ok, I did the rest like that. Spiffy's the one making the dvd covers, and I scanned the back of the boxes for that purpose. I didn't think it would be necessary to upload those, as no-one wants a poster of the back of the box :)

So, jp-30 you sound like you know what you're doing with all this - is there any way you could upload a poster sized 300dpi resolution version of the Zak image? This way I can covert the rest of them to make it all easier for you lot.

jp-30
01-16-2004, 10:13 PM
Can you resixe your images in your phot manipulation program?

If so don't worry about all the dpi carry on, just resize to 1687x2149 pixels.

When printed at 300dpi it will be the correct size.

:)

elTee
01-16-2004, 11:00 PM
Ok, thanks :D

Laserschwert
01-23-2004, 11:46 PM
I thought I'd revive this thread, since it's been a little quiet in here...

I would really love Maniac Mansion coming next... and if you have the PC-box of the game, could you scan the back cover too? (At least if it's the one containing that framed portrait of the Edisons... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

Oh, and any chance to scan the back of the "Zak McKracken" box too? Actually I don't know what's ON the back of the box... maybe it's not even good enough for a cover...

Udvarnoky
01-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by Laserschwert
... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

So you're going to do the Maniac Mansion soundtrack? Woo!

Laserschwert
01-24-2004, 01:47 AM
Oops... I said too much *g*

But yeah, Maniac Mansion is going to come, as well as Zak and (probably) Loom.

elTee
01-24-2004, 06:38 PM
Do Loom!! But do it properly - or else there'll be trouble. (I've tried to make some decent versions of the main theme myself, but they've all sucked. There is a decent copy of it out there, though... somewhere.)

And the covers are slowly being converted and reduced in file-size, and I've found some server space with enough room for all the scans - but its low bandwidth.

Udvarnoky
01-28-2004, 10:06 PM
could you scan the back cover too? (At least if it's the one containing that framed portrait of the Edisons... I still need that one for my soundtrack covers.

I can get you just a scan of that portrait if you'd like. I can't promise it'll be good though.

EDIT: I'm guessing you'll need something cleaner than this (http://members.fortunecity.com/harang/portrait.jpg).

elTee
01-29-2004, 10:16 AM
You can scan it if you want, but I did the back covers too. They were mostly for spiffy, I didn't figure anyone else would want them - I mean, if you make a poster, you do the front right?

Laserschwert
01-29-2004, 05:10 PM
Actually I don't need the Maniac covers anymore... at least not very urgently. Read my post in the soundtracks-thread.

Regarding the cover-scans topic: I think about doing DVD-covers for most LucasArts games... works if you can get those scans done, LucasTones.

And for printing posters, I would really LOVE to have some high-res scans from the "Monkey Island" boxes...

Udvarnoky
01-29-2004, 07:20 PM
No, I can't do them. Go for it, LucasTones!

SpiffyTheDog
01-31-2004, 06:14 PM
yeah i've got a somi dvd cover ready to go, i just need to touch it up a bit here and there.

SpiffyTheDog
02-01-2004, 04:18 PM
here's the somi cover. you might want to save target as.

http://www.morelike.com/dvdcovers/somicover.jpg

i'm not too satsfied with the side :( but it was the best I could do. I doubt attempting to fit a scan of the side in would do much good.

Laserschwert
02-01-2004, 04:46 PM
It's a good start. But there are some problems with your cover. First of all the scan is a little rotated clockwise.... you should fix that. Then there's the text on the back cover. You took the "unsmoothened" text from the back cover, right? I think it'd be better to retype the text, and replace the background with a self made paper-texture.

Then of course there's the side of the cover. I think it's be best not to try to go for a unique style on the side for every game. It's better to decide for a style that goes for all the games, so that they look like a collection if they're put on the shelf.

I'll try do create on too. Could you upload the pure front and back scans?

DMCBatman
02-03-2004, 07:02 PM
Could someone post a ridiculously high-res scan of just the front box art? I'd like to use it to make a Monkey Island poster.

Or DOTT. Or MI2. Or COMI. Or EMI. Heh heh.

That'd be awesome.

SpiffyTheDog
02-03-2004, 10:32 PM
well I do have a pretty good server - the host said it included 'unmetered bandwidth' which i assumed just meant unlimited. Sadly it just means I'm allowed to use as much as I want but when the server's had it, it's had it, and it goes down for about an hour. I'll work on the collection feel of the covers, this one I made a whlie ago and kind of forgot about. My time spent on the computer will be pretty limited for about a week so I'll get on them next week sometime. If you want the scans, talk to lucastones.

DMCBatman
02-05-2004, 05:12 PM
Lucastones? Any chance you might be able to upload your scans?

elTee
02-05-2004, 09:51 PM
They're on the way. Honestly.

Deepthought2k
02-06-2004, 12:45 AM
I don't know if anyone else has noticed. but aftewr looking at the cover scans of the SOMI box- I never realised there were bones behind the skull on the front. Amd has anyone else noticed the signature of Steve Purcell on the bottom pirates waist sash?

Hehehe, I love details..

DMCBatman
02-13-2004, 06:43 PM
LucasTones, you still there?

Just thought I'd bump this thread a bit.

::bump::

James Isaac
02-16-2004, 02:42 PM
Yeah, please post them.

elTee
02-16-2004, 05:28 PM
They're on the way. Honestly.

SpiffyTheDog
02-18-2004, 11:43 PM
here's a little preview of the one i'm working on now. I'm still a little iffy on the background color and i might make the sqaure with a look at the original cover bigger. Feedback please (whipped this up in about five minutes.)

http://www.morelike.com/dvdcovers/somipreview.jpg

also my lcd's doing this freaky thing where the background color totally changes hues when i look at it from different angles, its way psychedelic.

Laserschwert
02-19-2004, 03:38 AM
Oh god, my eyes!!!!!!! :eek:

:cool: Ah, better.

Well, if it has to be purple (or let's call it "lifestyle-blue"), just tone brightness and saturation down... (actually, I would go with a black or "silver"-grey background)

As for size of the front image, take a look at the "Walt Disney Treasures" tin-cases:

CLICK HERE (http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=39073)

But without that blue stripe underneath (which is actual a paper sleeve around the tin). At that size you can take the complete cover, and not just a section of it.

Alien426
02-19-2004, 05:04 AM
Have you thought about consecutive spine pictures? You know, if you put them all on the shelf back to back you get a picture or logo...

Otherwise I agree with Laser, a more eye-friendly hue and the full cover art would be nice. Although I like the simplistic approach some credits, quote and/or in-game screenshots on the back could work, too.

James Isaac
02-19-2004, 08:31 AM
I like the font http://www.lucasforums.com/images/icons/icon14.gif but not the pink colour http://www.lucasforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif

Laserschwert
02-19-2004, 11:42 AM
So, I did something myself now... it's clearly based on the Disney Treasures, but I like it. Tell me what you think:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd.jpg

I like the idea of sorting the games chronologically on the shelf, hence for the year on the spine. The Treasures have a timeline on the back, showing the year more graphically... maybe I could add that to the lower blue stripe on the back cover...

Oh, and as for the continueous spine-image... that won't work here, of course. But maybe you could gradually change the color of the stripes... like the next game has dark-purple stripes, the next one magenta, the next one red, then orange, then yellow, then green and so on...

Alien426
02-19-2004, 12:23 PM
W O W !

elTee
02-19-2004, 02:00 PM
I think we should throw this open forum, so to speak. The scans will be online in a week (they're ready - well, they've been ready for a while, some people have been lucky enough to catch me on IRC and I've sent them) I just need to sort out this ftp so I won't get noticed by the network administrators.

Once they're online I suggest anyone who has an opinion designs their own little version, then in a month or so just sit back and discuss the overall ideas from each person.

Spiffy, your idea is my favourite so far - as long as that purple cover would actually be a sleeve; which could then be removed to reveal the original boxart. You know what I mean.

I also like the spine image idea, but it wouldn't work if we were to include games such as Sam and Max 2, which obviously aren't available yet. This could be a "LucasArts Adventures: The Golden Years" kinda thing though, and then the newer titles would be exempt. As for a spine logo - it would either need to be the LucasArts logo, or in a perfect world a wide montage of all the games. That would need to be some seriously good fanart though.

Laserschwert
02-19-2004, 02:19 PM
I've edited together a preview of how my idea would look on the shelf:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/midvdsides.jpg

But basically I don't like it that much... though it would be nice to have consecutive spines, maybe people don't have all the games, and so they're missing parts of the spine-image... or they don't want to put the games in chronological order, but for example all "Monkey Island" games next to each other... or vice versa... depending on the order we decide on. And the same goes for my color gradient idea, which would look ugly if colors were interchanged... so, as far as my design goes, I think I'll stick to the blue stripes.

Oh, and as for a montage of the games... who did the painting at the head of the "Monkey Island"-forum here on Mojo? Maybe he'll help out...

The idea of a cut-out sleeve (with a hole to show part of the box-art) sounds very interesting. I think I've seen this on a few DVD-movie-cases... if I remember correctly the "Scream"-trilogy was one of those.

I am a fan of simplistic cover art in general... I've done some myself, for example for the three "Jurassic Park" DVDs:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/JP-Covers.jpg

But I think if you have one big area of the same color, it should have a very low saturation. I prefer black, because it's easier to look at. Maybe the design should go in the direction of the "Criterion Collection"-DVDs (at least some of them). Some examples:

The Rock (http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=16998)

Armageddon (http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=17240)

Spartacus (http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=17142)

The Vanishing (http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=20713)

For All Mankind (http://www.dvdsoon.com/dvdcover.xml?uid=6533)

But still, we should incorporate the original box-art somehow... at least I like them very much, so they should be on there.

James Isaac
02-19-2004, 04:34 PM
So, I did something myself now... it's clearly based on the Disney Treasures, but I like it. Tell me what you think:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd.jpg

I like the idea of sorting the games chronologically on the shelf, hence for the year on the spine. The Treasures have a timeline on the back, showing the year more graphically... maybe I could add that to the lower blue stripe on the back cover...

Oh, and as for the continueous spine-image... that won't work here, of course. But maybe you could gradually change the color of the stripes... like the next game has dark-purple stripes, the next one magenta, the next one red, then orange, then yellow, then green and so on...

That looks amazing.

I can't wait for the rest of the scans though.

elTee
02-19-2004, 05:57 PM
The Jurassic Park ones are nice, Laserschwert. They inspired my first attempt at one of these DVD covers - I just knocked it up over the last hour or so, its only a prototype, so to speak. This is why the dimensions probably aren't DVD resolution.

Loom Box (small preview) (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/loomdvdsmall.jpg)

Loom Box (much larger resolution) (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/loomdvd.jpg)

Let me know what you think. I don't think this design, simple as it is, would work for all the boxarts though, so if it were to be a "complete collection", as it were, another design would be needed.

edit: It occurred to me that the image looked a little different to the others so far - I didn't put a bar to separate each section of the dvd like everyone else. Here they are with these bars, which wouldn't be on the real ones but help to show what it would be like.

Loom Box (small preview) (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/loomdvdasmall.jpg)

Loom Box (much larger resolution) (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/loomdvda.jpg)

Laserschwert
02-19-2004, 07:16 PM
@Tones:

Nice, that's the design replicating the original boxes for amaray-cases... I like it. I recently purchased "The Dig" in a DVD-case, and it also had the original artwork and design, just rearranged to fit the new format.

So, this would be another way... trying to keep the original box-design. But there has to be one uniform mark to all the covers, maybe like that sticker, which you extended into the spine... the problem is: the stickers aren't at the same position on all boxes, and newer games don't have the sticker at all. But we always could retouch the images to get rid of the sticker (I did that for some of the CD-covers on my site), and create a new "stripe" from scratch.

(in case you have the manuals for some of the games, most of them have the box-art without any stickers, quotes or tag-lines on their covers... which I prefer. You can always add that stuff yourself afterwards)

I was already thinking about using the original logos on the spine, and not the uniform font that I used on my design. And according to your mockup this might work...

EDIT:

Adding to that, another design idea of mine:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd2.jpg

I incorporated the LucasArts "L" and used the colors of their C.I. - the blue-purple from the L, and the yellow-orange from the gold-guy himself.

This design shows a problem which might occur when using the original titles for the spine: they might be too high! I tried to put the words "Monkey" and "Island" in just one line, but that didn't look good... another title that might cause this problem is the "Indiana Jones"-title. And as you can see, scaling them down to fit in height makes them too small...

EDIT 2:

Just one more for the road... going as symplistic as possible:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd3.jpg

guybrushthedwar
02-19-2004, 09:53 PM
I really like the cover made by SpiffyTheDog (except the IBM thingy :/ ) and amongst the ones proposed by Laserschwert my preference goes this one http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd3.jpg.
A suggestion though : it would be even greater if you'd add a "book texture" similar to the one used for LOTR 4DVDS Edition, and the excerpt from Guybrush Threepwood's Journal on the back of the Cover. Making each MI cover with this style but différent color would be really great.

elTee
02-19-2004, 10:36 PM
It should be noted that on the Monkey Island boxart, the side does actually have the two words from the logo side by side instead of one on top of the other.

The second of your latest designs is also very good, but a little too simple I think. Maybe if the original art was there in part, in a very subtle dark grey or something... but I dunno.

Laserschwert
02-19-2004, 11:20 PM
Or in terms of Guybrush's diary... something like this:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd4.jpg

Or if you want it the LOTR-way:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd5.jpg

@Tones:
Now that you've mentioned it... I've never seen an original "Monkey Island" box in my life... maybe you'll scan the sides too?

guybrushthedwar
02-20-2004, 06:07 AM
Or in terms of Guybrush's diary... something like this:

Wow.
I mean, I truly LOVE this cover art! If you'd remove the " A Diary by Guybrush Threepwood" It would become in my opinion THE perfrect Cover for MI Games. Really.

elTee
02-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Your 4th cover is your best yet, but the idea still needs some work. I'll see if I can knock up another idea this afternoon, but untill then keep them coming :D

Laserschwert
02-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Here we go:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd6.jpg

The leather texture was scanned from the limited edition of the LOTR soundtrack... that one could of course be made in different colors (which really doesn't work for my 4th design... which used the scanned book texture of the "Pearl Harbor - Director's Cut" DVD).

Now, these designs are pretty simplistic... but the question is, would these work for the other games besides the four MIs, too? Design No.4 definetly wouldn't... but maybe we actually don't need the same design for all games, instead we should incorporate design-elements that are the same on every cover... like the year on the top, the LucasArts-logo, maybe a small version of the original logo from each game someplace else, and the same font for the game's name on every spine. By this, you can make it feel more collection-like, but give every cover a design the fits the different games.

Looking at all my "Universal Pictures"-DVDs, they do it this way. At least their old design (here in Europe... by now they've change it) included a golden bar at the top and the bottom, and an image of the lead-actor below the upper bar, and then a Columbia and a Universal logo... and then there's the DVD-logo in the lower bar.

EDIT:

All right, returning to my earlier ideas, incorporating the original box-artwork:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd7.jpg

CaliMonk
02-20-2004, 12:57 PM
EDIT:

All right, returning to my earlier ideas, incorporating the original box-artwork:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd7.jpg [/B]

Now that looks damn sweet! :-) (Besides every other box you made looking kickass, thats still the best IMHO)

elTee
02-20-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes, this one is the best I've seen so far. Try doing another game in this design, so we can see if it works well - its bloody good mate!

Laserschwert
02-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Quick test:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd7.jpg

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd7dott.jpg

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd7indy.jpg

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd7sammax.jpg

CaliMonk
02-20-2004, 06:19 PM
I like it. I like it ALOT.

Just not entirely sure about the DOTT green, although that looks fine it might be a tad too light besides that they all look kick ass. I'd definatly like a full collection of those :)

SpiffyTheDog
02-20-2004, 08:51 PM
sweet jesus.

Laserschwert wins. Totally wins. I'll probably continue with mine whenever I get bored, but Laserschwert's are totally awesome.

I repeat: I have been bested. Laserschwert wins.

Laserschwert
02-20-2004, 09:35 PM
:eek: I won?? Already???

I thought we were just coming up with ideas...

Oh no!! Does this mean I have to do them all in hi-res now??? :eek: :eek: :eek:

@CaliMonk:
About the DOTT-green, yes, I too felt that the green was too bright and saturated... I was just too lazy to correct it. I'll tone it down for the...

...for the... :(

... HI-RES VERSION! :crybaby:

But all right, if this is it, we still have to decide on the games, and their colors... something that fits each game...

EDIT: I corrected the DOTT-green... see above.

SpiffyTheDog
02-21-2004, 12:57 AM
http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/midvdsides.jpg

that looked like a good enough listing of games. As for colors, well, full throttle should definetely be black. That's all i can think of right now.

Also, basically on my version of the covers, the only reason it's not all good and stuff like yours is because i'm no good at making covers. I'm glad that any covers are being made.

Laserschwert
02-21-2004, 09:51 AM
All right... I thought of some more games, so probably these are the ones:

- Maniac Mansion (1987)
- Zak McKracken (1988)
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)
- Loom (1990)
- The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
- Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (1991)
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (1992)
- Day of the Tentacle (1993)
- Sam & Max Hit the Road (1993)
- The Dig (1995)
- Full Throttle (1995)
- The Curse of Monkey Island (1997)
- Outlaws (1997)
- Grim Fandango (1998)
- Escape from Monkey Island (2000)

Did I miss anything?

I guess it will only be the "real" adventures then (except for Outlaws, which I think still deserves to be in there). Maybe we can do a "Star Wars"-Collection too, for games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Rebel Assault, Dark Forces and so on...

Oh, about the back covers... Besides the section showing the original back of the box, should I add something like a bar-code and copyright stuff, to make it look more "purchased"?

CaliMonk
02-21-2004, 12:58 PM
All right... I thought of some more games, so probably these are the ones:
<snip>
Did I miss anything?

I think thats all, i dont really care about all the Star Wars games :p

I guess it will only be the "real" adventures then (except for Outlaws, which I think still deserves to be in there). Maybe we can do a "Star Wars"-Collection too, for games like X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Rebel Assault, Dark Forces and so on...

Would be fine i reckon.

Oh, about the back covers... Besides the section showing the original back of the box, should I add something like a bar-code and copyright stuff, to make it look more "purchased"?

Well i kinda like it the 'plain' way it is now, however do you have an example of how you had this in mind?

Laserschwert
02-21-2004, 01:26 PM
Something like this:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd7sammax2.jpg

The little text says:

"LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are all registered trademarks or trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2004 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or ™ as indicated. All rights reserved."

... taken from the LucasArts website.

Oh, by the way, what I would just LOVE to have on the front cover are the original box-artworks, but without the logos... there are some manuals where a much "cleaner" artwork is used as covers... does anybody know about other such artworks of the games?

James Isaac
02-21-2004, 03:48 PM
Holy macaroni. How did you do the logos for all of those? Where did you get them from?

Laserschwert
02-21-2004, 03:54 PM
You mean the game logos? From the boxes! There's a tool called "Magic Wand" in most graphic-apps... it's used to select an enclosed area of the same color.

Besided that, basic retouching skills. ;)

James Isaac
02-21-2004, 04:04 PM
Oh right. Cool. That still looks amazing...

But I still really want LucasTones's scans...

Laserschwert
02-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I want them too...

And Tones: Don't forget the BACK-covers!! :tsk:

;) :p

CaliMonk
02-21-2004, 04:15 PM
Something like this:

The little text says:

"LucasArts and the LucasArts logo are all registered trademarks or trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2004 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or ™ as indicated. All rights reserved."

That doesn't look too bad, i wouldn't mind if thats in there. Not that i feel it would add alot of value either, i just don't mind :)

Oh, by the way, what I would just LOVE to have on the front cover are the original box-artworks, but without the logos... there are some manuals where a much "cleaner" artwork is used as covers... does anybody know about other such artworks of the games?

Perhaps if you could give a list of which games? I do have some originals and i just Bought MI and Maniac Mansion in original box from ebay so they might be good looking but i can't tell yet.

CaliMonk
02-21-2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah, I want them too...

And Tones: Don't forget the BACK-covers!! :tsk:

;) :p

I actually have all the front covers from LucasTones i've gotten them through IRC, he has quite a fast connection ;)

I wanted to stick them online but my webspace is no longer available due to repeated DDoS (running an IRC network.. ¬¬)

Laserschwert
02-21-2004, 04:22 PM
Basically of all of the games (with the exception of "Sam & Max", I already used that "logo-less" image at my cover above), but first of all I guess we should wait for Tones' scans.

Adding to that, on the other hand, the images look pretty dull without the logos, since they were painted with a logo in mind, so they have a pretty empty spot where the logo should go. So, I changed my mind, and now I think the original box-fronts will do fine.

guybrushthedwar
02-21-2004, 07:18 PM
Once again I love what you've done Laserschwert but I'm not fond of the copyright and bar-code, I prefer the first version . On the whole, you're doing an amazing job! Bravo, comme on dit!

elTee
02-21-2004, 07:25 PM
I'm very impressed with these covers.. very impressed. It would be awesome to print those off onto thick textured card to get the whole leather effect. I was about to let you all download the scans, but I encountered a hitch - Bullet-Proof FTP just expired - is there any software people can recommend to me? Also, some of the scans are still in the 30mb region, I've converted most though. And some, like the Dig, are awkward because they're so black.

Also, regarding titles - the full titles should be used on the covers - ie:

Maniac Mansion (1987)
Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders (1988)
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (1989)
Loom (1990)
The Secret of Monkey Island (1990)
Monkey Island 2: LeChucks' Revenge (1992)
Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (1992)
Maniac Mansion 2: Day Of The Tentacle (1993)
Sam & Max Hit The Road (1993)
Full Throttle (1994)
The Dig (1995)
The Curse of Monkey Island (1996)
Grim Fandango (1998)
Escape From Monkey Island (2001)

I think these years are the correct ones, but not definately.

Also, I should mention - I have the 2 different Full Throttle boxarts, I scanned them both. Take your pick, they're essentially the same anyway.

CaliMonk
02-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Serv-u is very easy to setup and run.

If you want a more 'scene like' FTPd with alot of config options and want to spend time configuring take something like ioftpd then.

SpiffyTheDog
02-21-2004, 08:21 PM
smartftp has been very loyal to me.

http://www.smartftp.com

elTee
02-21-2004, 08:58 PM
Yeah I use Smart-ftp, but I didn't think I could serve with it?

SpiffyTheDog
02-21-2004, 09:23 PM
Oh, right. Whoops.

Go with calimonk's advice.

Laserschwert
02-21-2004, 11:09 PM
Well, I took the years from the LucasArts site... right HERE (http://www.lucasarts.com/press/product.htm)...

But 30MB???? You're clearly doing something wrong here. First of all, you don't have to scan them at a resolution higher than 300dpi, because that's the resolution all standard print articles are printed at. I scaled your "Zak"-cover down to that size (which is still close to 2700 x 3400 pixels), and saved it as a JPEG at a quality of 100%, and still just got to 6.5MB ... while going down to 80% quality, resulted in a file size of just 1.5MB, with no notable loss in quality.

SpiffyTheDog
02-22-2004, 01:13 AM
I assume it has something to do with the fact that he mentioned the possibility of using them to make posters.

ALSO:
My color ideas.

Maniac Mansion (1987) - no idea. Purple?
Zak McKracken & The Alien Mindbenders (1988) - again, no idea. I never played this.
Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade (1989) - orange-ish
Loom (1990) - no idea (i never played loom)
The Secret of Monkey Island (1990) - reddish (as the preview is) or dark green
Monkey Island 2: LeChucks' Revenge (1992) - blueish/purplish
Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis (1992) - orange-ish (as preview is)
Maniac Mansion 2: Day Of The Tentacle (1993) - green (as the preview is)
Sam & Max Hit The Road (1993) - blue (as the preview is)
Full Throttle (1994) - black
The Dig (1995) - light blue (like the logo is, kind of.)
The Curse of Monkey Island (1996) - yellow (wow, running out of colors)
Grim Fandango (1998) - purple
Escape From Monkey Island (2001) - yellow

Laserschwert
02-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Oh, i remember the poster idea, sorry... just ignore me being a wise-ass.

Now, my color ideas:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/la_colors.jpg

(I avoided reading your list first, Spiffy... but most of them are the same as yours... interesting... and a little scary... ;) )

elTee
02-22-2004, 11:48 AM
All good, all good, but I think Loom should be more like what you've put up for The Dig.

Laserschwert
02-22-2004, 12:58 PM
All right... dark-blue for Loom too then... bright-blue wouldn't have worked anyway, because the "golden" lettering would hardly be visible on such a bright background...

elTee
02-25-2004, 07:19 PM
Okay, ftp is online, but not 24/7. Also, it expires in 30 days so hurry hurry people!

PM me if you want access.

jp-30
02-25-2004, 07:52 PM

Some, like Drew Struzan's Indiana Jones FOA cover can be found clean online I'm sure- I'll take a look around for you. And between old magazine ads, box art, and manual covers, and plain old photoshop trickery I could probably whip together "clean" versions of a number of those titles. :)

In fact, I reckon Drew's Last Crusade poster would fit better than the original photo used on the boxart;

The original (photo) art could be recreated with a better version of this publicity shot;

http://movieartofsweden.com/images/5515_picture.jpeg

But maybe it would be better yet to utilise some Drew Struzan artwork like these;

http://home.planetinternet.be/~bliek/indianacrus.jpg

http://www.hundland.com/posters/i/IndianaJonesAndTheLastCrusade-Pepsi.jpg

Gabez
02-27-2004, 10:22 PM
Oh, by the way, what I would just LOVE to have on the front cover are the original box-artworks, but without the logos... there are some manuals where a much "cleaner" artwork is used as covers... does anybody know about other such artworks of the games? Yeah, the Sam & Max one looks a lot better because the logo isn't repeated.

For Mi2 you could use http://www.scummbar.com/resources/downloads/wallpapers/lechucksrevenge-640x480.jpg (available in higher resolutions at TSB), or just airbrush the logos out. Or keep them in, if you think it would be better, and I coud airbrush them out for me! Whatever.

They do look really really fantastic though. :D

Jake
02-28-2004, 12:44 AM
I like whats going on here, those designs are really cool! Though it might make them look too boring, I think the "textured" look of the backgrounds is a little cheezy, unless you're planning on somehow doing embossed paper so the texture come through in 3D like a book cover or fancy schmancy DVD cover... Might want to try a plainer color background? Then again, maybe not. Its cool that you guys are doing this :)

Laserschwert
02-28-2004, 02:40 AM
Mmh... no texture? Here ya go:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_cov.jpg
http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/dott_cov.jpg
http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/indy_cov.jpg
http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/sammax_cov.jpg

Though it looks a little dull, maybe if we go with Tones' idea of printing it on textured card, the texture would come from there. The best would of course be, if the golden stripes and letters could be real shiny golden... I am not sure though how that would work when printing at home. I mean, there is golden paper to print on, but I am not sure as of how the other colors will cover on that surface...

Oh, and for re-uniting old and new ideas:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_cov_ph.jpg

I still like this book texture... though - as said - it probably only would work with a few games (like Monkey and Indy)... what about an "Monkey Island Collection"-cover for a 5- or 6-disc Alpha-case...?

ThunderPeel2001
02-28-2004, 01:20 PM
Laserschwert: The covers at the top of this post (with textures) are absolutely perfect. Where can I download them (DON'T change them anymore!!!)

Thanks.

~ John

Laserschwert
02-28-2004, 03:50 PM
All right, all right... I'll do the textured ones first.

It will still take a while, because I'll have to redo them completely, since those are only the low-res mockups I did.

DaleCooper
02-29-2004, 08:23 PM
Laser:

I just now joined this site to tell you how amazingly excellent your DVD cover designs are. Now all I have to do is find empty DVD cases, and I'm set. :thumbsup:

Also: Cannot wait until these are done! :stan:

Edit: Have you thought about making a single DVD cover for the Monkey Island Madness compilation? That would be cool. :angel:

jannar85
03-03-2004, 12:35 AM
I'd like Paco Vink (http://www.worldofmi.com/features/fan/art/index.php?artist=1) to try this thing out.. It sure would be interesting what he could come up with.

Nice covers btw.. I like the year thingy thingy.. :P

BooJaka
03-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Ooo. They're purdy

elTee
03-03-2004, 03:32 PM
If there was to be a site devoted to DVD covers, of course, then I think it would be better if there were several designs available so you could choose which one you wanted based on personal preference. I mean, maybe someone just wants a cover for one game, whereas others (like me) would prefer a whole collection. This way though, anyone who makes a design - Laserschwert, obviously, and Spiffy etc can submit them and people can choose which one they want. Not just one definative "this is the design" kinda thing.

Personally, I want DanSky to do one ;)

Laserschwert
03-03-2004, 04:40 PM
That sounds good... so, let's tell Jake.

Jake!? We're gonna put up a site for DVD-covers... kay??

But the idea of bringing in "real" artist (like Paco, Ado or Dan Lee) would expand our possibilities big time. I mean, right now we're pretty restricted to the original box-artworks... but with those guys onboard, we could go for completely new stuff...

Or what about a fan-art competition regarding alternative front covers for all the games... I don't mean the way we're doing it here, just "re-arranging" existing material, but basically painting new covers, trying to mimic the style that Purcell or Struzan used for the original boxes. Maybe Mojo or the ScummBar can host such a competition...

James Isaac
03-03-2004, 05:29 PM
Yay. Host a competition. If they did, I'd enter.

SpiffyTheDog
03-03-2004, 11:24 PM
I'd totally be up for maintaining or just helping with a website of some kind for a bunch of DVD covers specifically for adventure games. GIMME A CALL. AND BY CALL I MEAN REPLY TO THIS VERY THREAD.

SpiffyTheDog
03-03-2004, 11:47 PM
...but if i DID make the website it would look a little.... something... like..... THIS (http://www.morelike.com/alex/dvd/index.htm)

(please note that that's just a rough draft i whipped up in 30 seconds. The final thing would actually have colors and images and non-generic fonts. That's just an idea.)

elTee
03-04-2004, 12:15 AM
This is good, this is all very good. We'll have to wait the backlash from LucasArts after the mojo e-mail address thing before we make the site though, which I would also volunteer to help out on ;)

DMCBatman
03-04-2004, 07:17 PM
LucasTones, can you PM me with FTP info again? I keep trying at all times of the day, and I can't connect to the FTP. Also, I can't PM you for some reason - it always times out.

Thanks.

elTee
03-04-2004, 07:47 PM
The info is right, I thought the fto was on but it wasn't. Apologies. Try over the weekend, should be fine.

Esseb2
03-05-2004, 06:29 PM
LucasTones, I tried to send you a forum PM but it said your inbox was full so I'm posting it here instead:

I am very interested in the hi-res cover scans you offer. I'm not sure I'll be able to come up with a brilliant design for DVD covers but I'll give it a shot, mostly I'm interested in printing out super sized posters for myself and friends.

I don't frequent the lucasforums as much as I frequent the AGS and AG forums so if you do give me FTP access it would be great if you could mail me at esseb<at>esseb<dot>com* instead of sending me a forum PM since I'll probably not notice it. I will be away on Saturday and Sunday so I might not be able to download the files until Monday.

--Esseb.

* cleverly concealed e-mail adress to fool e-mail harvesters.

Jake
03-05-2004, 07:53 PM
I'd be happy to set up a "covers.mixnmojo.com" webspace for a site dedicated to this sort of thing, assuming someone with a better grasp of web programming (and more free time) than myself could set it up.

Were the site to exist it would very nice if the covers could be sorted by collection (ie "Laserschwert's Adventure Cover Collection") or by game (ie "every DVD cover slipcase design for Monkey Island 2"), and of course allow for people to add their own if whoever ran the site thought they were cool enough to add.

Just an idea.

SpiffyTheDog
03-05-2004, 11:57 PM
Not that I'm, uh, working on the site, or anything, cuz that would be a surprise, and stuff, winkwink, but is anybody any good at php/mysql/databasing/webprogrammingmumbojumbo that would be willing to help out? I kind of just know html.
-spiffy

elTee
03-06-2004, 02:40 AM
Jakes idea is most excellent, and Spiffy, make that site faster ;D

As I said, I'd be prepared to work on the site, and I assume Spiffy is going to be working on it too, as well as anyone else you appoint.

Looks like its all coming together nicely :)

CaliMonk
03-06-2004, 11:09 PM
I'm willing to help allong.

I have excellent experience with PHP, MySQL and HTML. (Its my living ¬¬)

elTee
03-07-2004, 02:37 AM
*offers Calimonk a contract*

SpiffyTheDog
03-10-2004, 03:45 AM
well the site's up (and by site i mean coming soon page)

http://covers.mixnmojo.com

who wants to send in some covers?!

cappuchok
04-01-2004, 10:18 AM
Sooo... what's up? Any progress being made on this project?

ThunderPeel2001
04-01-2004, 03:16 PM
Hate to sound mean, but......... boy! that site is UGLY! (sorry)

I look forward to being able to download covers!

SpiffyTheDog
04-02-2004, 05:59 PM
well my design was usurped by lucastones' design. What's on there now will not look like the final design. We still don't really know when we'll be happy with a design. Hell, maybe we can just get Gabez to do it for us.

elTee
04-03-2004, 07:31 AM
My design was made by that imposter ;)

Yeah, Zebag owe's me a few favours. He can do it.

bgbennyboy
04-03-2004, 08:46 AM
Hee, the cry of many a frustrated community site owner 'sod it, i'll get Gabez to do it'.

M'ilon
04-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by Gabez
Yeah, the Sam & Max one looks a lot better because the logo isn't repeated.

For Mi2 you could use http://www.scummbar.com/resources/downloads/wallpapers/lechucksrevenge-640x480.jpg (available in higher resolutions at TSB), or just airbrush the logos out. Or keep them in, if you think it would be better, and I coud airbrush them out for me! Whatever.

They do look really really fantastic though. :D That picture has been airbrushed. The logo is not an original part of the image though - it is superimposed.

I can send this:

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Meksilon/mi2_tmp.jpg

I have it at 5116x6959 720dpi 83.9MB PNG, I'll downsize it to a more reasonable dpi and then email it to you Spiffy, if you send your email address. I will have a hintbook in my possession soon, I can scan that later which will have nothing but the MI2 logo superimposed over the original image.

=mek=

Laserschwert
04-05-2004, 08:17 AM
Oh yeah... do that, DO THAT!! I always wanted a "clean" cover of MI2... and of course MI1... anyone got that one too?

M'ilon
04-05-2004, 08:46 AM
MI1 CD-slipcase scanned at 400dpi is 1925x2053 10.6M PNG - but that's too detailed for the quality, as in it will have to be reduced to around 1/4 the size - 963x1024 looks quite good, and is 2.64M as a PNG making it acceptable to send in that format, rather than JPEG.

Also Laser, the Kixx release of MI2 superimposed the logo differently to the original release, meaning if you superimpose the images on top of each other you can losslessly remove much of the logo, and then "airbrush" the rest that's left over.

=mek=

Laserschwert
04-05-2004, 08:58 AM
By "clean", I just mean the cover without the system-spec "sticker" (actually it's printed on... at least on "Fate of Atlantis") in the lower left corner, and without any award-icons.

The slipcase as whole wouldn't work... because I was going to print posters from it... and in that case the scan has to be at least the size of the game box. But it could be used to retouch the sticker-part of the image. So, YES, PLEASE! *g*

M'ilon
04-05-2004, 10:30 AM
Why don't you have one of the MI1 posters professionally scanned?

I tell you what, if a few people want to pitch in maybe $20 each I'll have it done.

Laserschwert
04-05-2004, 02:03 PM
20$ each?? What are you going to do with it??

OK OK, you see, printing the box-scans is obviously a lot cheaper, plus, there's no MI2 poster...

MrManager
04-05-2004, 02:23 PM
There is. However, it's hanging in Steve Purcell's house. :~

Not sure if there ever were any reprints. :¬:

Udvarnoky
04-05-2004, 08:32 PM
I was under the impression that from Maniac Mansion to Fate of Atlantis LucasArts offered a poster through some sort of mail order. Was MI2 skipped?

Laserschwert
04-06-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by RemiO
There is. However, it's hanging in Steve Purcell's house. :~

Mmh... :¬:

*starts humming the Mission Impossible theme* :guitar1

DMCBatman
04-06-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, I did it.

Using LucasTones excellent high-resolution scan of the Secret of Monkey Island boxart, I did a little tweaking (increased the contrast) and sent the image off to become a 20x30 print (great for framing).

I received it today, and I must say, it looks amazing! Absolutely stunning!

Only problem is that the proportions weren't quite right for a 20x30, so the sides were trimmed a bit. No big deal, as the only significant thing that was lost was a bit of ther border on the left and right side and that annoying IBM PC sticker.

I'm going to get a 20x30 of the Dig boxart next for a gift for my friend.

Thanks LucasTones.

elTee
04-06-2004, 11:00 PM
Thanks, I'm glad it came out ok. Is there any chance you could take a picture of the poster? I'd like to see how it looks :)

Also I should mention, the ftp is no longer online. I'll probably get it back up in a few weeks though :)

DMCBatman
04-07-2004, 05:58 AM
Sure LucasTones, I'll try and take a picture and put it up over the weekend.

FelixTheBat
04-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Well, I've scanned both a boxart of Monkey Island 2 LEC release, and the Kixx release. The Kixx boxart is actually a higher-quality print. As I stated before the size is 90odd meg per box art at 720dpi. I can either downsize it, or chop it into 90 -odd parts and upload them all one by one to a free graphic server.

It's proving too difficuilt to try and superimpose the MI2 LEC release box over the Kixx... but I will try again later, and post the results if they're impressive. I also have a hint-book I can scan, it is of significantly lower quality though.

Here are some examples of the difference in quality (these examples are at 720dpi).

http://www.zippyimages.com/files/20693/mi2box_tst1_kixx.jpg
http://www.zippyimages.com/files/20694/mi2box_tst1_norm.jpg

http://www.zippyimages.com/files/20695/mi2box_tst2_kixx.jpg
http://www.zippyimages.com/files/20696/mi2box_tst2_norm.jpg

freddie
04-20-2004, 03:48 AM
If you want something scanned at high quality, let me know. I have every box that is listed in my museum (see sig).

FelixTheBat
04-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Alright, I will superimpose. It'll take a while and the resulting image will not hold up to scrutiny, but will hopefully look stunning. I will also work at completely removing the Monkey Island 2 graphic and all "By Ron Gilbert" text. And the "LucasArts" graphic for that matter. Here is where I'm up to superimposing the regular box image to "make-up" the incomplete parts of the Kixx box (at 720 DPI, this image is just 15% the size of the one I'm working on):

http://www.zippyimages.com/files/25705/demo.jpg

The problem is the colour levels and the prints just do not match at all. So I do not know how much more I will be able to superimose, and how much I will have to "draw-in". Of course it would be much easier to start with the regular box and just "fix that", but like I said the KIXX is just of such higher quality.

FelixTheBat
04-24-2004, 07:01 AM
I'm also restoring a 720dpi scan of the MI1-CD ver cover. The cover is in excellent condition except from some scratches and a few minor marks. Here's an example of the restoration over one of the worst effected areas:

http://www.zippyimages.com/files/29347/mi1restoration.jpg

As you can see I'm attempting to replace the damaged areas with equivalent material, rather than doing a cheap and nasty fudge-out or nasty interpolitation. I bet you couldn't even tell where the marks had been removed if I didn't include the after pic.

GregD
05-18-2004, 08:29 AM
Those are some amazing covers Laserschwert, mind telling me where you found the textures ? I assume you filling in a color then making a new layer and overlaying the texture?

Cheers

Laserschwert
05-18-2004, 03:48 PM
http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd6.jpg

This texture was scanned from the limited edition soundtrack booklet from "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring". I didn't overlay it on top of everything, instead I just shifted the hue on this thing in the background (to get all the colors I needed), while I overlayed the "gold"-parts. Thogh your idea of overlaying the texture might be the better solution... which reminds me of my task to finish those covers in hi-res... oopsie...

This texture was scanned from the DVD-Box of "Pearl Harbor - Director's Cut" (with all logos removed).

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd5.jpg

And this is of course a scan of the digi-pack from "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - SEE" (again with removed logos).

SpiffyTheDog
05-18-2004, 05:16 PM
yeees.... everything is going according to plan....

with the notable exception of the website.

seriously, though. Once some high-res covers are finished the website will totally be corking good.

elTee
05-18-2004, 10:36 PM
Indeed. I am working very hard on the site myself, but I have unfortunately been disconnected from the internet. :mad:

GregD
05-19-2004, 09:57 AM

This texture was scanned from the limited edition soundtrack booklet from "Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring". I didn't overlay it on top of everything, instead I just shifted the hue on this thing in the background (to get all the colors I needed), while I overlayed the "gold"-parts. Thogh your idea of overlaying the texture might be the better solution... which reminds me of my task to finish those covers in hi-res... oopsie...

That's an interesting way of doing it I assume the textures you scanned had no text or anything on top of it?

I cant see how you did the LOTR Fellowship dvd texture because surely it has loads of text etc on top of the texture, did you edit it out or something?

I would have thought downloading a texture would be easier to do, but getting quality high res textures for free is always difficult.

Laserschwert
05-19-2004, 10:27 AM
As I said I had to remove logos and stuff... but it wasn't very much. The inside of the LOTR-digipack has very little other stuff on top of the texture, so that wasn't really difficult.

I searched the web as well, but I didn't find any hi-res leather textures good enough.

QueZTone
05-19-2004, 10:32 AM
offtopic: greg why are you never at #mi anymore?

GregD
05-19-2004, 10:35 AM
As I said I had to remove logos and stuff... but it wasn't very much. The inside of the LOTR-digipack has very little other stuff on top of the texture, so that wasn't really difficult.

I searched the web as well, but I didn't find any hi-res leather textures good enough.

Ahh didnt think about the inside of the cover.. good idea ;)

offtopic: greg why are you never at #mi anymore?

I am... usually under the nick Hirasawa. I guess i should go back to using GregD if people miss me ;)

dpolsrod
06-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Hi.
Long time lurker here. :)
I've been watching this topic for a long time, and I was just wondering how it's going with the "ridiculously large" covers?
I think Laserschwert's covers look absolutely stunning!
I have still to see the covers LucasTones has scanned.
The http://covers.mixnmojo.com site has been dormant for some time.
Any news on when the hi-res covers are done?

Laserschwert
06-02-2004, 04:34 PM
No progress yet... my life's quite busy at the moment, so the covers will still take some time.

JBRAA
06-02-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by dpolsrod
Hi.
Long time lurker here. :)
I've been watching this topic for a long time, and I was just wondering how it's going with the "ridiculously large" covers?
I think Laserschwert's covers look absolutely stunning!
I have still to see the covers LucasTones has scanned.
The http://covers.mixnmojo.com site has been dormant for some time.
Any news on when the hi-res covers are done?

Super Hi res covers here: http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/cover-art.shtml

cappuchok
07-17-2004, 03:08 AM
... what's up with covers.mixnmojo.com? Is anything happening or will it be vaporware? :confused:
Is there anywhere else I might get these good (custom) DVD covers for my LucasArts collection like we've seen in this thread?

elTee
07-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Thanks for like, crediting me there JBRAA. It really didn't take me long to do or anything.

Laserschwert
07-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Just wondering, does anybody of you have a hires scan (and I mean as hires as Tones' scans) from the MI2-Kixx-Box? Still need it to touch up the original Box-scan... and if there's any MI1-cover out there, that has the covered-up section of the MI1-box, scan it!!

Thanks for your time.

JBRAA
07-20-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks for like, crediting me there JBRAA. It really didn't take me long to do or anything.

I know =) I sort of love you =))))) tehee =))
http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/cover-art.shtml

Laserschwert
07-22-2004, 09:07 AM
I finally managed to start working on the hires-covers... so far I've got the four "Monkey Island" games done:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI1th.jpg 'The Secret of Monkey Island' (1.27MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI1cover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI2th.jpg 'Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge' (1.16MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI2cover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI3th.jpg 'The Curse of Monkey Island' (1.08MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI3cover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI4th.jpg 'Escape from Monkey Island' (1.11MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI4cover.zip)

Laserschwert
07-22-2004, 04:42 PM
Two more:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/LCth.jpg 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' (1.08MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/LCcover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/FOAth.jpg 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis' (1.00MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/FOAcover.zip)

elTee
07-22-2004, 09:13 PM
Thanks JBRAA, I'm sorry if I came across like an *******.. I was having a bad day. Besides, I'm glad someone finally has them online, LucasCovers is progressing slowly.

JBRAA
07-22-2004, 10:44 PM
Thanks JBRAA, I'm sorry if I came across like an *******.. I was having a bad day. Besides, I'm glad someone finally has them online, LucasCovers is progressing slowly.

No worries. Another thing... Didn't know http://covers.mixnmojo.com was the same as LucasCovers. Hmm, nice name btw.

dpolsrod
07-26-2004, 06:58 PM
I finally managed to start working on the hires-covers... so far I've got the four "Monkey Island" games done:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI1th.jpg 'The Secret of Monkey Island' (1.27MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI1cover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI2th.jpg 'Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge' (1.16MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI2cover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI3th.jpg 'The Curse of Monkey Island' (1.08MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI3cover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI4th.jpg 'Escape from Monkey Island' (1.11MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/MI4cover.zip)

They look great!
Are they available for download yet?
The links were just the thumbnails... :)

Laserschwert
07-27-2004, 11:12 AM
The links aren't the thumbnails... the links link to ZIP-files containing the full-size covers.

So, yes, they are available for download.

dpolsrod
07-28-2004, 12:53 PM
There was a misunderstanding there.
I meant the links you posted here.
The links you posted here were only the thumbnails, and when I went to covers.mixnmojo.com, it was the same old page with the black background and the video at the top.
But I went there now, and it's the updated page with covers and all.
Just wanted to clarify that. :)

BTW: GREAT job on the covers, man!
I think they look awesome.

Laserschwert
07-28-2004, 07:01 PM
It wouldn't have been necessary for you to go to covers.mixnmojo.com to download the covers (OK, now that the site is basically up and running it of course IS necessary, so that those guys get some hits... thanks to Tones, Gabez and/or Spiffy for adding linkage to my files) ... anyway, you should've just left-clicked the little images I posted (yeah, even the ones you've quoted a few posts above this one)... they are download links, but alright, if everything is working now it's cool.

rodekill
08-08-2004, 01:19 AM
Hey.
This thread inspired me to go ahead and do my own Monkey Island covers.

Monkey Island 1-2 (http://www.rodekill.com/junk/MI_1-2_cover_thumb.jpg)

The Curse of Monkey Island (http://www.rodekill.com/junk/MI_3_cover_thumb.jpg)

Escape from Monkey Island (http://www.rodekill.com/junk/MI_4_cover_thumb.jpg)

The inspiration from the earlier "Guybrush's Diary" concept should be apparent.

Here are the full, high-res versions, zipped up (26mb). This is gonna be brutal on my bandwidth, so I can only keep them up for a few days. Feel free to mirror it or something. (http://www.rodekill.com/junk/MI_covers.zip)

Bobo Donkey™
08-08-2004, 06:52 AM
Wow, impressive. If only Monkey Island 4 didn't suck so much with its "Ultimate Insult" and constant use of the word "Heck" instead of "Hell". But I'm not trying to turn this into another "MI4 sucks" thread. Its just that reading that box cover reminded me of how much it sucked.

But those covers are well impressive rodekill. Well done to you.

elTee
08-08-2004, 09:21 AM
Nice covers :)

Just to let you all know that the LucasCovers site will be online by September - we're planning on using the covers submitted in this thread (you'll be credited, naturally) so if anyone has any objections please let us know :)

Alien426
08-08-2004, 01:39 PM
I disapprove. But only out of habit.

Why are you still LucasTones instead of elTee?

rodekill, those are some great covers. The only minor beef I have is the tape on the back. It's a little counter-atmospherical. Then again, I can't come up with an alternative. It has to look flat, so a nail isn't gonna work...

rodekill
08-08-2004, 04:51 PM
Actually, that was the idea with the tape.
I wanted something a little out of place to throw people off, like a lot of the stuff in the MI games. The seriousness of the covers alone didn't give enough of a sense of the humour in the games.
Hmm...

Anyways, thanks for all the comments.

SpiffyTheDog
10-17-2004, 02:57 PM
i'd say it's high time for a...

THREAD RESURRECTION!

Keep them covers a-crankin', boys!

edit- rodekill your links totally don't work anymore and i never saw them to begin with. I got a business to run here, fellas, a business! I can't deal with dead links like that!

rodekill
11-02-2004, 06:07 PM
Alrighty, I'll upload the zip again and email you about it.
Can't keep it up for long though.

Scummbuddy
08-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Any chance someone has a better, enlarged version than what the scummbar has of this:
http://www.scummbar.com/games/media/mi12/monkey1-titel042304111232.jpg

I would like to be able to read what it says. The LucasArts Museum doesn't have it along with its MI US Gold edition, so I assume someone else must have it, right?

freddie
08-09-2005, 11:58 PM
Any chance someone has a better, enlarged version than what the scummbar has of this:
http://www.scummbar.com/games/media/mi12/monkey1-titel042304111232.jpg

I would like to be able to read what it says. The LucasArts Museum doesn't have it along with its MI US Gold edition, so I assume someone else must have it, right?
Is that an advertisement from a magazine?

Pexler
08-21-2005, 12:26 AM
Here is WOTC, as of today it's back on the net:

http://plamdi.com/images/wotc-banner.gif (http://plamdi.com/wotc/)

If you go to the classic tales section you'll find some covers I designed for MI1 and MI2:

Classic Tales (http://plamdi.com/wotc/tales.htm)Just wondering, does anybody of you have a hires scan (and I mean as hires as Tones' scans) from the MI2-Kixx-Box? Still need it to touch up the original Box-scan... and if there's any MI1-cover out there, that has the covered-up section of the MI1-box, scan it!!

Thanks for your time.I can later upload some high-res scans of the front and back (before they were recoloured for my covers) if requested. They are 100% my scans, and 100% my designs (aside of course from the fact they're scanned LEC designs). Let me know what you think.

Pexler
08-21-2005, 01:09 AM
http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/mi_dvd.jpgFor those who are interested, the box art in this picture was originally my "design". It was "featured" on my old WOTC homepage. It's not very good, and I know that you can find a cropped and enlarged JPEG version of it at World of MI (http://worldofmi.com). The version I published was "version 6", this is the original picture, in all it's glory:

http://plamdi.com/files/m1box6.png (695KB)

It's the original file, in it's original size, without JPEG compression from which you find the uncredited image at World of Monkey Island:

http://www.worldofmi.com/imageviewer.php?image=thegames/monkey1/MI1poster.jpg

This was the final version, but I don't think it ever made it to my old site... version 7:

http://plamdi.com/files/m1box7.jpg

The colour where the "system requirements box" would be is flat because I used a black and white source and coloured it to fill-in that area. I don't know exactly what version Laserschwert originally used, but you can see clearly that it was one of mine. Because:

1. the dimensions of mine are unique, and it's the same.
2. the system-requirements-box-region is the same.
3. Elaine's hand and the monkey's knee are grey and non-coloured (the same).
4. The front "native" holding a spear at the left side of the box was also added in from a black and white source and so is significantly darker than the one behind him, and the hues on the left do not match the hues on the right as they do in the original box art.

I don't mind it being uncredited, I just think it's a hopeless box art and it really shouldn't be distributed when there are far better scans, etc. I have some excellent scans now which I've scanned myself.

Pexler
08-21-2005, 02:06 AM
Eh to heck with it I may as well make a triple-post!

"Clean" MI1 box art (5.08 MB): mi1.png (http://www.da_insane.boo.pl/d/upload/index.php?act=dl&file=bWkxLnBuZw==)
"Clean" MI2 box art (4.40 MB): mi2.png (http://www.da_insane.boo.pl/d/upload/index.php?act=dl&file=bWkyLnBuZw==)

Both losslessly compressed in the PNG format. More-or-less 300dpi. Clean meaning they're basically the complete box arts (no "system requirements" rubbish or anything).

Laserschwert
08-21-2005, 08:37 AM
If I remember correctly I just found the "cleaned" MI1-image through Google image search. I just wish there was a scan of the official "clean" artworks (even without the MI logo)

Of course that cover-design you've quoted from me was just a mock up, never existing in hi-res because of the lack of a hi-res boxart.

By the way, your new cleaned images look very nice... I think I'll use them to make some mini-posters or even some more covers.

EDIT: I think the download link to your MI2-scan (or the file itself) is broken... I've tried several times, but it downloads only a part of it.

EDIT 2: Never mind, it works. By the way, did Steve Purcell paint both of the artworks, or only MI2? Maybe he would be the right person to ask for a clean image...

bgbennyboy
08-21-2005, 08:46 AM
For a MI2 'cleaned' image this (http://www.scummbar.com/index.php?newssniffer=readcomment&news=804) is pretty good.

Espiox
10-05-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

I was wondering... Will there be any more DVD covers? The Sam & Max and Day of the Tentacle ones looked awesome. If the rest of these were made available, they'd look fantastic on a shelf together.

Also, sorry for the necropost.

xChri5x
08-10-2006, 04:21 AM
Holy jumping vanilla flavoured midgets on a cloud of greenhouse gasses!
Please upload the rest of the DVD covers. I knew about the lucascovers site, but I had no idea there were more. I'm impressed. I'd love to get my hands on those Jurassic Park covers too. I hate the official ones.
Anyways, yeah, the covers are awesome. I'm torn though... I think the Fate of Atlantis Cover would be cool if you made it just like the covers of the DVD movies. There is room in the box set if you take out the bonus material disc! I'd do it myself, but I'm having trouble finding a big scan of the art for the game without the logo and stuff.
In fact, I just started playing Fate of Atlantis for the first time. Maybe it won't turn out like I've heard. I haven't even seen the Indiana Jones movies either...
Anyways.... that version of SOMI with the journal leather background is awesome. You should do that to all the monkey island games. Or at least give me the backgroud with the yellow logos and I can do the rest.

exofreeze
01-27-2007, 02:42 PM
<bump>
All the covers on the lucascovers website are dead links today... Hmm. 2 years since new covers... me thinks this is dead? I really hope not.

elTee
01-29-2007, 01:41 PM
The whole downtime thing probably caused some of this. I don't know how many of the files still exist, but I'll probably be able to whip something up over the next few days. If nothing else I'll get the cover scans stored so that people can start making new covers.

MusiclyInspired
01-29-2007, 04:15 PM
I'd love to see more. I still need them for the rest of the games! I'd love to see others' ideas as well. I've been waiting for some good hi-res covers so I could make my own as well.

Lagomorph01
02-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Hey there, it's funny that I found this forum.
I've got a ridiculously large scan of the coverart of Monkey Island 2, without any letters or added taglines or anything.
I also have a ridiculously large version of the Grim Fandango concept art, (the Rubacava one) and the Maniac Mansion Edison painting.
I just don't know where to upload. The files are like 90 MB in size uncompressed. :D
I've got the Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango one hanging in my room! ^^

MusiclyInspired
02-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Nice! Definitely find somewhere to upload that!!

elTee
02-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.de) them. Now.

Laserschwert
02-02-2007, 02:16 AM
Rapidshare (http://rapidshare.de) them. Now.

I second that... NOW!!! Especially the MI2-artwork and the Edison-painting interest me...

Laserschwert
02-02-2007, 09:33 AM
Yeah yeah, it's a funny thing using the computer at work...

Aaand, deleted.

Longcat
02-02-2007, 10:48 AM
I can host those, I've got the serverspace...
pm me if you like

edit; OR, you could make a torrent...

Longcat
02-18-2007, 09:19 AM
tease...:)

ssdsa
02-20-2007, 02:01 PM
I've got a ridiculously large scan of the coverart of Monkey Island 2, without any letters or added taglines or anything.
I also have a ridiculously large version of the Grim Fandango concept art, (the Rubacava one) and the Maniac Mansion Edison painting.
I just don't know where to upload. The files are like 90 MB in size uncompressed. :D
I've got the Monkey Island 2 and Grim Fandango one hanging in my room! ^^
Any news on those files? Could you share them with us?

Laserschwert
02-20-2007, 02:31 PM
Any news on those files? Could you share them with us?

Mmh... maybe he was just kidding? By the way, a few weeks ago I've mailed Steve Purcell regarding logo-less versions of the two MI-front-artworks, and he said, that he did both of them WITH the "Monkey Island" title (or at least they were never printed without them... he wasn't entirely clear about that). So if somebody has those without the complete titling (the taglines were of course added in later), it's just a retouch, like the one that once appeared at the ScummBar.

Lagomorph01
02-21-2007, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry I didn't answer your questions, I don't visit the forum that much.
I do really have these paintings.
I just have a really slow internet connection and I'm a very busy man.
I will see what I can do when I get some time.
In the meantime I'll just give you a quick tease:
http://members.lycos.nl/lagomorph/archief/lucaspaintings.jpg

ssdsa
02-21-2007, 04:07 PM
I do really have these paintings.
I just have a really slow internet connection and I'm a very busy man.
I will see what I can do when I get some time.
[image]
This is so cool! I just sent you a PM. Maybe I can help to get the files online.

Longcat
02-21-2007, 04:22 PM
haha, i did that WEEKS ago simon:) droool...

ThunderPeel2001
02-21-2007, 05:27 PM

Bizarrely I looked at that picture and thought you were posing a throwing your hat onto your bedpost. Made me wonder about Jona's comment...!

Longcat
02-22-2007, 07:02 AM
it is a nice hat, admitedly. though way to small for my nappy head

lgdnp
02-22-2007, 10:17 AM
Two more:

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/LCth.jpg 'Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade' (1.08MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/LCcover.zip)

http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/FOAth.jpg 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis' (1.00MB) (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2/temp/covers/FOAcover.zip)

Greatness! I hope that you'll do some more, especially:

The Dig
Full Throttle
Day Of The Tentacle
Maniac Mansion

I've already printed the ones you've made and their standing on my desk, bringing a tear to my eye. ;)

lgdnp
02-22-2007, 12:53 PM
Oh yeah, and allso

Grim Fandango
Loom
Sam'n'Max

I know, i'm pushy... damn me to hell :smash:
Hope it's possible

Laserschwert
02-22-2007, 02:25 PM
Oh yeah, and allso

Grim Fandango
Loom
Sam'n'Max

I know, i'm pushy... damn me to hell :smash:
Hope it's possible

Of course it's possible to damn you to hell:
http://smokinshirts.com/images/damnyou-small.JPG

Regarding the covers... I'm not really planning on continuing right now... first thing would be adding stuff to LucasArts Soundtracks, and even that has to wait right now, since my real life is still busy as hell (so I'll join you there, I guess).

@Lagomorph01:
Now come on, give us some details. What are the sources of these (image-wise, not download-wise)? I guess they are insanely upscaled to be printed at that size, right? The "Sam & Max"-poster on the left is a scan from "Surfing the Highway", so I guess it was de-screened and upscaled as well... c'moooooooon!!!

lgdnp
02-22-2007, 04:31 PM
Of course it's possible to damn you to hell:
http://smokinshirts.com/images/damnyou-small.JPG

Regarding the covers... I'm not really planning on continuing right now... first thing would be adding stuff to LucasArts Soundtracks, and even that has to wait right now, since my real life is still busy as hell (so I'll join you there, I guess).

@Lagomorph01:
Now come on, give us some details. What are the sources of these (image-wise, not download-wise)? I guess they are insanely upscaled to be printed at that size, right? The "Sam & Max"-poster on the left is a scan from "Surfing the Highway", so I guess it was de-screened and upscaled as well... c'moooooooon!!!

shame :edeaths: :) well, i'll be hoping then, because they're simply just great! ... thanks

Lagomorph01
02-23-2007, 05:26 AM
@Lagomorph01:

The "Sam and Max" poster, is not a poster at all. It's a painting.
A friend made it for me for my birthday.
Anyway, the source of the MI2 poster is from the original painting, I think Steve Purcell has it hanging in his house, just like the Edisons one.
The source of the Grim Fandango poster is the piece of concept art drawn, in I think it's charcoal, by Peter Chan.

None of these had any logo's or anything in the first place, so none of it is "redrawn" in photoshop.

Longcat
02-23-2007, 06:57 AM
I'm gonna make a bigass poster of that grimscene.. hear you'll be getting them on cd ssda, if you need hosting space, I can help you out. but I guess you, with your german ingenuity, have all the space you need;)

ssdsa
02-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Jona, I'm going to contact you regarding the hosting space when I get the files on CD from Lagomorph01. Don't hold your breath until then, though. Lagomorph01 said he'll see what he can do, and he's still trying to perfect the colors of the MI2 one because the print looks really pale in broad daylight.

Longcat
02-23-2007, 12:10 PM
*mmmmmphhh* sorry, couldn't do any better'n guybrush.. only 10 minuttes:) i know, he told me. 'tis good too have something to look forward to anyways

Laserschwert
02-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Well, so I'm now officially really looking forward to these... the only thing missing now is a hi-res scan of the MI1-poster.

Scummbuddy
02-25-2007, 05:36 PM
And of course a high-res of the back of the Monkey Island 2 box art that Purcell put up on eBay weeks back. Whomever bought that surely must be a mojo lurker.

Longcat
02-25-2007, 06:56 PM
it went for about 4,500 US dollars.. don't know bout you guys, but I sure as hell haven't got that kinda dough to spend on something like that. wish I did though...

ssdsa
02-26-2007, 01:49 AM
it went for about 4,500 US dollars.. don't know bout you guys, but I sure as hell haven't got that kinda dough to spend on something like that. wish I did though... So you haven't turned your totally weird Loom CD (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=174707) into cash yet? ;)

Longcat
02-26-2007, 02:33 PM
ergh... no.. seems it's not as rare as i first imagined... or would you like another one? only 4500 NKR:)

clone2727
02-26-2007, 06:26 PM
Laserschwert, what did you use to make those MI1-4, FC and FOA covers? Photoshop?

Laserschwert
02-27-2007, 10:15 AM
Laserschwert, what did you use to make those MI1-4, FC and FOA covers? Photoshop?

Yeah, Photoshop. But it's the "Last Crusade"... not the First. ;)

clone2727
02-27-2007, 03:58 PM
But it's the "Last Crusade"... not the First. ;)Er... right. :) I was writing FOA first and I guess my mind just slipped ;)

MusiclyInspired
02-28-2007, 09:06 AM
Now that you're here, Laserschwert, I'd like to thank you for those covers you made. They were great inspiration for my own Sierra DVD covers I made. I even used the rule guides from your DVD cover files in Photoshop to place images (handy!).

Laserschwert
02-28-2007, 11:37 AM
You're welcome... that's probably why I subconsciously didn't delete the guides :D

Conradson
03-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Eh to heck with it I may as well make a triple-post!

"Clean" MI1 box art (5.08 MB): mi1.png (http://www.da_insane.boo.pl/d/upload/index.php?act=dl&file=bWkxLnBuZw==)
"Clean" MI2 box art (4.40 MB): mi2.png (http://www.da_insane.boo.pl/d/upload/index.php?act=dl&file=bWkyLnBuZw==)

Both losslessly compressed in the PNG format. More-or-less 300dpi. Clean meaning they're basically the complete box arts (no "system requirements" rubbish or anything).Hi, I'm looking for those two scans (> dead link), cleaned cover art of MI1 and MI2, in order to make a fan covering.

My actual fan covers here : http://conradson.deviantart.com/

Thanks in advance (sorry for my weird English, I'm French).

xChri5x
04-14-2007, 09:16 PM
French!?

plamdi.com
05-14-2007, 04:39 AM
Hi, I'm looking for those two scans (> dead link), cleaned cover art of MI1 and MI2, in order to make a fan covering.

My actual fan covers here : http://conradson.deviantart.com/

Thanks in advance (sorry for my weird English, I'm French).

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55288860/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55288876/

My covers:
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55289893/
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55289602/

http://plamdi.com/wotc/tales.htm
http://plamdi.com/movies/swcovers.htm

To whoever owns The LucasArts Adventure Museum (http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org/) website, I've tried emailing you I have my own scans of MANY of the things you're missing, please get back to me if you want them. I have much, much more high-resolution scans as you can see here (all the PNG's are my own scans, I'm still looking for some more of my scans):

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/3003/scansfk9.png

elTee
05-15-2007, 05:20 AM
These are excellent images! Well done. I'm going to look into sorting out the perpetual limbo that LucasCovers has fallen into next week, so hopefully a decent library of the DVD covers and box scans can be amassed. Thanks for uploading these :)

plamdi.com
05-15-2007, 08:43 AM
These are excellent images! Well done. I'm going to look into sorting out the perpetual limbo that LucasCovers has fallen into next week, so hopefully a decent library of the DVD covers and box scans can be amassed. Thanks for uploading these :)That would be handy, I visited LucasCovers only to find it wasting webspace! I can also contribute the MI1 CD Big-Box scans to http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/. Thanks for the compliment, the MI2 box took a lot of work (imagine starting with the Kixx box art in 1200dpi, then adding the original label at 1200dpi to blend just the bottom par of the image, and THEN you have all this side stuff to re-draw:

http://img516.imageshack.us/img516/544/demoyt0.jpg

To make it look more natural I replaced all the sky from the LEC-label part with the Kixx sky. This is the resolution I was working in:

http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2979/redrawnys6.jpg

You should be able to tell I used some of the scan from the LEC box there (but all the sky is cloned from the Kixx box). Still, I did this a long time ago now.

Sadly the same process would not have worked for the MI1 box, however now that I consider I scanned the CD-rom box I may be able to fix it up in 1200 DPI better then my original!

Laserschwert
05-15-2007, 11:07 AM
Those scans are really great!

Finally I've managed to upscale a descent MI2-scan to at least 45 x 60 cm. I've faked detail with a few filters and by overlaying a texture. I'll post some images (and maybe the whole big thing itself) when I get home. I wish we could easily get rid of the "by RON GILBERT"-remains, but I guess I'll just have to try to paint it out.

I wish Lagomorph01 would post his logo-less scan of the MI2-artwork...

And I'm also still hoping for a descent version of the MI1-boxart... especially without the "LucasFilm Games"-sticker at the bottom. Oh, and a 300dpi-scan of the official MI1-poster.

elTee
05-15-2007, 05:06 PM
This thread is so old now, and the content in it is so spread out, that I'm thinking we might be better off starting a new thread soon. I have (seriously, ridiculous amounts of) work to do but by the 24th of May I'll be getting some free time, so that's when I'll sort this out.

Until then you guys should discuss and come up guidelines for images. Desired resolution (I'm not an image techie, by resolution I mean dimensions - 5000x3000 pixels etc.) and DPI for box art scans suitable for LARGE POSTER PRINTING. Then we can set up a project where we paint over the covered sections of box-art and get clean, super-hi-res images for all 14 games.

The second stage would be to set up similar guidelines for DVD cases, and even art for the discs themselves. Obviously this would be a lower-res than poster printing because a DVD case is so much smaller - but we would still need the optimum resolution for clear printing. Also for DVD cases the BACK of the boxes would need to be scanned as well.

LucasForums can provide text files containing the 'blurb' from the back of each box, in case a designer wishes to eschew the original design for one of their own.

So to recap: we need a list of guidelines! LucasCovers will be set up something like this:

Files for designers:
- 'Clean Box Art' Project
- Section of finished clean box art image files at POSTER RESOLUTION
- Selection of finished clean box art image files at DVD CASE RESOLUTION
- Selection of scanned CD-Roms / Manuals etc. at an appropriate resolution for printing (whatever you feel people might like to include for their 'final sets'.)

Files by designers:
- User-created DVD CASES + any additional extras, such as DVD slip inserts or CD designs
- User-created POSTERS of the games, if applicable.

And to re-iterate, we should aim for a standard here - each file (from each category) should be the same resolution and file format (multiple formats can be available.)

So figure it out, please :D

Laserschwert
05-15-2007, 06:10 PM
Good idea(s), ElTee... yet, I'll post my results right now ;)

Here are some full-res samples of the upscaled MI2-artwork (the JPEG-compression blurred the texture a little bit):

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/08wmh4es/thumb/mi2_a.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/08wmh4es/mi2_a.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/uq5y7eys/thumb/mi2_b.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/uq5y7eys/mi2_b.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/40mmswhv/thumb/mi2_c.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/40mmswhv/mi2_c.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/vv8427o/thumb/mi2_d.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/vv8427o/mi2_d.jpg)

I don't know how it looks when printed (as mentioned, at this scale the artwork would make a poster of 45 x 60 cm - which is about 17.7 x 23.6 inch), but I think the faked detail might work really good on this one. The logo might need some touch up, and the "by RON GILBERT"-line is still in there, so this is not yet ready.

I've tried the same technique on the MI1-artwork:

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/k0iawyjy/thumb/mi1_a.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/k0iawyjy/mi1_a.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/5z408ec/thumb/mi1_b.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/5z408ec/mi1_b.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/u23o1omz/thumb/mi1_c.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/u23o1omz/mi1_c.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/o0cte1/thumb/mi1_d.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/o0cte1/mi1_d.jpg)

It might work as well (although the artwork isn't as detailed as the one Steve did for MI2), but the image itself still needs some touch-up work.

And last but not least, I've played with the "Sam & Max"-cover, although faking detail with a texture didn't work too well with the comic style, so I only used the brush-stroke effect on these:

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/oc68q5d/thumb/sm_a.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/oc68q5d/sm_a.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/qb7uig99/thumb/sm_b.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/qb7uig99/sm_b.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/lk4lfitq/thumb/sm_c.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/lk4lfitq/sm_c.jpg)http://www.imagebanana.com/img/kv0t2nza/thumb/sm_d.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/kv0t2nza/sm_d.jpg)

Really not sure about this one... I guess there's still room for improvement.

plamdi.com
05-15-2007, 10:53 PM
The artwork is the same quality, it's just a higher quality on the Kixx box. Here's the original resolution (just with a median filter over it):

LEC Box:
http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/8815/lecboxhl0.jpg

KIXX Box:
http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8413/kixxboxzv8.jpg

plamdi.com
05-16-2007, 02:46 AM
Sadly the same process would not have worked for the MI1 box, however now that I consider I scanned the CD-rom box I may be able to fix it up in 1200 DPI better then my original!OK I've done this, here's the resized result:

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55430537/

elTee
05-16-2007, 02:47 AM
You guys seem to know what you're doing, perhaps you can help with the site? Although it needs a redesign first :( (I forgot about that.)

Anyway, I'm impressed with these images you're coming up with - very impressed. Back to work for me now :(

Laserschwert
05-16-2007, 06:59 AM
The artwork is the same quality, it's just a higher quality on the Kixx box.
Was that referring to me saying
although the artwork isn't as detailed as the one Steve did for MI2 ?

In that case it must be a coincidence that you're name is Steve as well. I was actually talking about Steve Purcel, who did the two MI-artworks... and he painted a lot more detail into the MI2 artwork then he did with MI1.

By the way, I wouldn't recommend using Median to reduce noise and screen-artifacts, because it kills too much detail in the image. Instead I'd use a plugin like NeatImage (http://www.neatimage.com), which keeps a lot of the detail, and even preserves most ofthe fine brush-strokes in the image. Here are some comparisons (excuse the slight color difference... I've auto-leveled them separately):

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/nixgrt8w/comp1.jpg
(Notice the detail in Guybrush's hair and the blade)

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/8jhrvve6/comp2.jpg
(Compare the monkey's face and mouth, as well as the cannibals masks and skirts )

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/ltmgk14d/comp3.jpg
(See the brush strokes on the skull and the detail on the ship and the water)

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/trcu66i9/comp4.jpg
(See the monkey's fur, the skull's jaw and teeths and the faces)

The plugin generates a few artifacts where it can't recognize the flow of the lines, alhough I think these support the "painted" look of the image. When scaled up, and some added effects like brush strokes and texture, this might work as a poster I guess.

plamdi.com
05-16-2007, 07:59 AM
LOL, I'm not steve - I know you mean Purcell, I was just letting you know that the quality of print on the original box is significantly lower quality then the print that the Kixx release did, and this goes for both MI1 and MI2. I used the Kixx box for the MI2 cover, but I used the original LEC box for the MI1 cover (because I didn't think I could redraw all the missing stuff). I assume you upscaled my down-scaled images. I scanned the boxes at the highest resolution my scanner would do, at those resolutions you could print the box art at about 60 x 75cm at 200dpi. Scans at this resolution are already available, however: http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/cover-art.shtml

Part of the reason I left "By Ron Gilbert" on the cover (aside from consistency for my DVD-case covers), was the fact that it obscured the blend line between the KIXX cover and the LEC cover underneath it.

If you really want it without anything on it you need to get a print of Purcell's painting:

http://www.mixnmojo.com/galleries/gallery.php?gallery=239&image=2474&goback=

Maybe you could as Purcell at: PO Box 2615 Petaluma, CA 94953-2615

By the way, Lagomorph01's "poster" is clearly a fake, it's cropped heavily on the top, it's cropped on the bottom, on the left - and even on the right.

The best I have is the page in the LucasArts Archieves manual:

http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8154/m2mh8.th.jpg (http://img71.imageshack.us/img71/8154/m2mh8.jpg)

PS:

Try that filter on the original:

http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5306/testimageof0.th.jpg (http://img402.imageshack.us/img402/5306/testimageof0.jpg)

Laserschwert
05-16-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the links... I guess the black & white one (and colorwise the photo from Steve's framed original) might work to clear out some parts, like the "RON"-lines and the maybe to logo... I'll look into it.

Funnily enough I've already asked Steve about the painting a while back, but it looked like he avoided the subject and never answered about it.

Is the scan from the LA-Archives-manual already filtered (at least it looks like a median filter on it)? If yes, could you upload an unfiltered version? Furthermore, does the manual have an image of MI1 that shows more than the box?

PS:
I'll try NeatImage on your 1200dpi scan... although I've learned that it tends to have some problems with screen-patterns at that size.

plamdi.com
05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I looked at NeatImage on the original scan, and I feel the median filter works better. And no, the LucasArchives manual only has that image in it, it's quite low-quality, but I did manage to use it in my monkey island 2 dvd cover (I don't really like the back of the LEC mi2box... nothing against Purcell's painting but everything on top of it just looks cluttered).

Hahaha Steve (Scurvyliver) just emailed me back, the scans I was looking for were here all along: http://scurvy.adventuredevelopers.com/about.html why didn't I look harder?

I might upload the original at a later time, it's not very good quality though (the reason why it looks OK on my cover is because it's been darkened so much).

bgbennyboy
05-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Nice work guys. The only box art without the 'By Ron' line seems to be the FM-Towns version. Of course the chances of finding someone who owns it are slim, but you never know.

Laserschwert
05-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Regarding MI1 it looks like there are boxes that show more of the artwork than all the others. For example the SegaCD-box:

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/d7hi94b6/segacd_front.jpg
It shows Guybrush down to his crotch, not that that does anything for me... ok, well, it does a little bit, since it would allow to paint out that silly "LucasFilm Games" logo of the regular boxes.

And here's the FM-Towns box and cover:
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/3fti046v/fmtowns_frontbox.jpg
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/88bohm1a/fmtowns_front.jpg
These might actually do... but as with MI2 the FM-Towns version is probably too rare to have it scanned.

plamdi.com
05-16-2007, 10:34 PM
The "FM towns version" would be roughly the same quality (at best) as the LEC-label box, and still suffers from the standard cropping and having the logo over the top 3rd of the painting. My scan of the Kixx box kept all the quality of the Kixx box, which is much better then any LEC-label box (they likley used a different company to print their boxes then LEC). I removed the LucasArts logo in 300dpi (using my own scan of the MI2 hintbook) - the lower quality is obscured because its dark, I couldn't get away with doing that on the MI1 box-art (though I did re-draw in some of it).

If it's quality you're after, the only way to get better quality is to use a higher quality source, and I don't know of any higher quality then the Kixx box (unless you get a print off the original painting). I don't think "cleaning" the entire image is the best idea anyway, because it will still be cropped from the original painting (which of course is normal for box-art, however a real poster of the painting would not be cropped - well it might have the "boarders" cropped off, but that'd be it). Personally I prefer quality.

With that said, I used the Kixx box because it would be the best quality, not because it was easiest. I have an eye for detail, and so I hevily edited the MI2 logo on the Kixx box. Here's my source image of the Kixx box (prepared to be edited into what you've seen as my final image):

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/9711/source1md8.jpg

There are 4 main changes to the logo from the original box, and my source image of the LEC box is here:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/4369/source2nr1.jpg

The main changes to the Kixx-box logo are: 1. it's squashed horizontally, 2. the "LeChuck's Revenge" text on the paper sits higher and is black, 3. The paper itself is both higher above "Monkey Island 2", and its curled ends have been cropped off, 4. Because this was a licensed release, "TM" is replaced with (R). The Monkey Island text is also more orange then the original yellow, and it's worth noting the entire logo is over the picture, whereas the top section extends outside the painting box on the original box (which is fine for an original release, but for re-releases, and if-you-like later legacy releases like say if was to be released officially in a DVD-keepcase then you'd expect the logo to be in the image).

The only two things I felt compelled to change was the placement of the LeChuck's text (because I think it's too high on the Kixx box, and too black), and removal of the (R).

My final looks like this:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3561/edited1zr2.jpg

But then, when I made the DVD cover I changed my mind about extending the paper:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2867/edited2vu7.jpg

The reason it's extended on my DVD cover and not on this image (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/55288876/) is because I did it after I had fiddled with the colours (and I didn't want to do it all again), so I just matched the paper colour and tacked it on in the 11th hour. I don't really think it looks any better like that, but that was the original way the logo was.

I think if I was to make another "Monkey Island Madness" cover, I would use the paper to re-create the "Monkey Island Madness" paper logo you see here: http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/monkey-island-madness/cover-art/gameCoverId,72630/ (since they used it for that), and use an MI2 logo without the paper like this:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/5255/boxartmi2fromexemd1.gif

That would look quite good next to the MI1 logo as well. I probably could have cloned out "By Ron Gilbert", but as I said earlier it was providing a nice distraction from the blend between the Kixx scan and the LEC scan. I actually had half a mind to leave the full "A graphic adventure by Ron Gilbert" on it, but I really didn't think it looked very good like that!

In conclusion, I was aiming to create an image with no external border from the original Kixx scan, which showed as much of Purcell's painting as the LEC box did. Most of the changes were done with my "1200dpi" scan (I should note that I believe my scanner is incapable of true 1200x1200dpi, and I think scans at 1200x960dpi or something, but I could be wrong I'd have to read its manual - keep in mind I did all this 2 years ago now, and bought the scanner prior to that). I could have removed the "LucasArts" logo in 1200dpi by cloning it over, but I replaced it after resizing it because it was easier, and would actually be closer to the original then cloning.

For my own use it was perfect, and I absolutely guarantee it looks fantastic when printed:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/6024/printedwr2.jpg

--edit--

Here is my complete MI collection:

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/318/collectionbe4.jpg

Not pictured is the SWOTL manual, 2x LucasArts Archives boxes, and the CMI discs. In total I have:

MI1CD - Monkey Island VGA, CD-ROM x2
MI1CDB - Monkey Island VGA, Madness CD-ROM
MI1VGA7 - Monkey Island VGA, 7-disk version (Classic Tales compilation) x2 (3.5", one complete 7 disks and 3 disks from my original version)
MI2CD - Monkey Island 2, Madness CD-ROM
MI2DISK - Monkey Island 2, Floppy disk version (5.25")
MI2DISKB - Monkey Island 2, Kixx version (3.5")

More specifically:

Monkey Island 1 VGA, part of "Classic Tales":
Just 5 surviving game disks from all four original games, non-working.
Dial-a-pirate code-wheel.
Original Instruction Manual (which covers Duck Tales, Rocketeer and Monkey Island).
I'm missing: the box, many of the floppies, the SWOTL manual, and both the SWOTL and Rocketeer codewheels.

Monkey Island 1 VGA, CD-ROM (complete!):
CD-ROM, which has many light marks but works flawlessly.
Original CD-ROM slip-cover, which is damaged.
Original manual, in excellent shape considering its age and use.

Monkey Island 2 (Kixx - complete!):
Original 5 disks, non-working.
Original manual, in good order.
Original box in good shape.

That is the original stuff from my childhood, the rest I bought later:

Classic Tales:

I bought a 2nd-hand copy of the game off ebay with the box in perfect condition. It has all the disks for all 4 games, and I had them backed up before it was posted, every disk worked flawlessly (but I used the CD-R backup).
It did not have any of the three codewheels, unfortunatly, nor did it have the main instruction manual (but it did have the SWOTL manual which I was missing). Thus I'm still missing the rocketeer and SWOTL codewheels from the set, when combined with my original set.

Monkey Island CD-ROM:

I bought a new-and-sealed CD-ROM version off ebay for about US$20 or so; which had a perfect-condition CD, the manual still has the blue "read first" back on it as well as a perfect-condition CD-slipcover. The manual has some scratches to it, despite being sealed when I bought it. I have kept this item in its entirety.

I bought a used "big-box" CD-ROM version off ebay; at that stage I was simply wanting to "complete" my collection. The big box was complete; and I've kept every part of it with the exception of the CD-ROM (game) which I re-sold as disc-only on eBay (2 copies is enough).

Monkey Island 2:

I managed to find in absolutly stunning condition a copy of Monkey Island 2 (original label) on floppy disk, and I couldn't resist adding it to the collection. The disks remain untested (when I bought the game I did have 2 5.25" floppy drives that I'd never tested and I figured it wouldn't be worth it). The box is in mint condition, and it's complete with mint condition manual, techincal reference card and it even has the original store reciept. It was sold with the Hint Book, also in perfect shape!

Monkey Island Atari ST version:

Again, this was complete (except for tha absence of its codewheel) and in excellent condition. I managed to back up the disks without a problem. Again, it has the manual, reference card and box.

Monkey Island Amiga version (Kixx box):

I bought this again because it had the Kixx box and was complete, and like the Atari ST version I backed up the disks. I sold the disks and codewheel on eBay and just kept the box and manual. (In case you're wondering, I used the back-up to give a CD-R copy of the Amiga disk images to the buyer, I didn't advertise it in the auction, but as I was selling it with MI2 for Amiga I wanted to make sure the buyer would have no problems).

LucasArts Archives:

I bougth several incomplete versions, and resold games individually. I have kept a complete set, not just including the Monkey Island Madness CD (that specific disc was brand new when I got it and is still in spotless condition), but the other 5 discs as well and even 2 boxes (additional discs and boxes aren't in photo).

Hintbooks:

I had previously purchased a MI2 hintbook, which was in equal condition to the one I have now (which is like brand-new), but I resold it as it was a budget-release that didn't use the red plastic reader (though the print quality was equal). The Monkey Island 1 Hint Book is more difficuilt to get, and I believe it came with the Kixx Amiga version which I purchased. I have both the "red readers", although only one is in the photo (the other was in the hintbook when photographed).

Monkey Island Bounty Pack Manual:

This is the CMI manual. I actually don't remember how or why I got this manual, but I do know that the version of CMI I own originally came from a big box and was sold to me without its box or manual (ie it does not have the PDF version on the disc).

Digitally I have all the English PC versions of Monkey Island 1 and 2 I know about:

MI1CD - Monkey Island CD-ROM
MI1CDB - Monkey Island on Madness CD-ROM (no copy protection)
MI1EGA4 - Monkey Island, 4-disk version
MI1EGA8 - Monkey Island, 8-disk version
MI1VGA4 - Monkey Island VGA, 4-disk version
MI1VGA4B - Monkey Island VGA, Classic-Adventures/PC-Gamer version (no copy protection)
MI1VGA7 - Monkey Island VGA, 7-disk version
MI1VGA8 - Monkey Island VGA, 8-disk version
MI2CD - Monkey Island 2, Madness CD-ROM (no copy protection)
MI2DISK - Monkey Island 2, floppy disk version
MI2DISKB - Monkey Island 2, Kixx version (no copy protection)

I even have installation files for many of these (not to mention that of course I legally own more then half of them, and if you exclude the technical differences the only version I don't actually own is Monkey Island EGA for PC, but I own it for the AtariST). I own all three MI2 versions. The only thing I would like to add to my collection is the rare big-box Monkey Island Madness (and I'd sell the disc off - I only need one disc).

Here's a little bonus scan for everyone to enjoy off one of my 3 Monkey1 CD-cases (I think it's my original one, but I could be wrong), click to download full-size (2.5M):

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/cb57719/thumb/monkey1_cdcase.jpg (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/cb57719/monkey1_cdcase.jpg)

elTee
05-17-2007, 12:26 AM
Nice images - and nice collection! There was a time when I would literally have killed for all those items. Fortunately for me (and you ;)) that time has passed. But I'm still jealous ;)

Anyway I do have the SEGA CD version of Monkey Island, and by extraordinary coincidence I will be at my parents' house this weekend, for the first and possibly only time this year before Christmas. So I'll get it, bring it here, and scan it. Then we can all marvel at Guybrush's crotch :)

I can't recall now, but if I find any curios among my collection that are worth a scan, I'll get some images.

plamdi.com
05-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks, you'll probably be jealous when I tell you that over the life of collecting it from the money I made back re-selling the stuff I didn't want I probably made back all the money and broke about even. I mean I bought at least 4 or 5 incomplete Lucas-Archives from eBay America, and when I had them sent I'd ask for the discs only... I would buy at about US$40, sell MI Madness for A$50-60, any other games for $10-20, etc; and in the end I kept a complete set. lol. I got two new copies of MI Madness from LEC free (the first time I wanted a replacement for my MI1 disks... the 2nd time I wanted a replacement for my MI2 disks - they didn't listen to me, I wanted my version, and they sent me copies of Madness CD's instead!) I gave one to a friend, and I've kept the other.

elTee
05-17-2007, 01:58 AM
I certainly haven't broken even, because I've never sold anything. And I only have one or two rarities, and nothing major, so there's no point me selling anything for a long time yet. I'm not a collector anymore, but I was for a couple of years (about five years ago, I suppose.) It's the only thing I've ever really collected, and it was fun :)

plamdi.com
05-17-2007, 02:31 AM
Well, I was collecting at a good time. There was enough supply in America for me to import anything at a reasonable price, and enough demand in Australia to sell nice and high. I was really, really pleased to (finally) find Classic tales. It was in a lot with some other games as well, and I convinced the seller to sell to me and he closed the auction early. I only wanted ClassicTales, but only wanted to sell as a lot. I agreed to his price, he agreed to CD-R everything before sending. So (thankfully) I didn't have to take a chance on loosing the fantastic set (remember that I actually did well re-selling most of the stuff - The Adventures of Willy Beamish sold very well, I think I made the money back)! This is what I bought:

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday
Duck Tales
Monkey Island Disks
Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe Disks
Terminator 2 Judgment Day
The Adventures of Willy Beamish
The Incredible Machine
The Rocketeer
The Simpsons Bart Vs The Space Mutants
Treasure Trap
WWF WrestleMania

And the only things I kept were Classic Tales (MI1, Duck Tales, Rocketeer, SWOTL), and The Incredible Machine. At least I don't think I still have any of the others. None of the other games were a part of a compilation (don't think anyway).

I didn't have the MI1 files digitally, and after so many years I got them - all of them. I couldn't believe it. I certainly wasn't getting them off the old 3 surviving disks from when I was a kid! Original file creation dates are on the CD-R too, so I never bothered using the original disks:

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 1
000 LFL 8,357 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
901 LFL 2,264 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
902 LFL 3,335 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
903 LFL 2,019 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
904 LFL 4,368 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
DISK01 LEC 599,209 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
INSTALL BAT 3,227 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
MONKEY EXE 69,589 21/02/1991 11:27 AM
_INSTALL BAT 2,431 19/02/1991 03:06 PM
9 File(s) 694,799 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 2
DISK02 LEC 655,465 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
1 File(s) 655,465 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 3
DISK03 LEC 641,088 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
1 File(s) 641,088 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 4
DISK04 LEC 689,124 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
1 File(s) 689,124 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 5
DISK05 LEC 575,735 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
1 File(s) 575,735 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 6
DISK06 LEC 615,087 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
1 File(s) 615,087 bytes

Directory of G:\Monkey Island Disks\Disk 7
DISK07 LEC 666,332 15/02/1991 12:00 PM
1 File(s) 666,332 bytes

Laserschwert
05-17-2007, 07:18 AM
I absolutely love the color correction you did on this one:

http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2867/edited2vu7.jpg

I think I'll try to match it for my poster. Thanks for all the detailed info!

And by the way, I am still desparately looking for a high-quality scan of this one:
http://www.imagebanana.com/img/fejbwkix/adventurer5.jpg

And, since no one seems to answer, another EDIT:

Here's my finished retouched artwork I'll be using for a poster print. I've color corrected it to match Plamdi's version, plus I've retouched the "by RON GILBERT"-line using the photo of Purcell's framed original. Furthermore I've painted out the stupid monkey and the "2", again with the help of the photo (for color) and the black&white-scan of the archives-manual (for texture), and reconstructed the missing parts of the logo using the MI1-logo.

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/286nueo9/mi2_poster.jpg

And here's an ANIMATED GIF (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/vggdyu6z/mi2_poster.gif) comparing the before and after.

Aaaaand, again... EDIT:

After a few hours I've finally got myself a MI1-poster:

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/u6ow0vqa/mi1poster.jpg

The images at The LucasArts Museum (http://lucasarts.vintagegaming.org), and especially the scans of the FM-Towns version, were the most important sources for painting out and retouching the text in front of the ship and the skull, as well as the LucasfilmGames-logo and the palmtree. I've color corrected the image to match the color of the FM-Towns artwork, because it looks much more exciting in these darker shades than the 90s pop art color of most of the other boxes. I've extended the sky a bit to fit my planned 60 x 80 cm format for the posters.

Laserschwert
05-19-2007, 06:39 AM
Obviously editing a post doesn't mark a thread as updated, so maybe that's why suddenly no one posted anymore. So, here's a NEW POST!!

My posters at full resolution of 60 x 80 cm at 200dpi (I guess it's enough for a poster):
The Secret of Monkey Island (http://rapidshare.com/files/32148001/mi1.rar.html)
Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge (http://rapidshare.com/files/32150381/mi2.rar.html)

The MI2-artwork is slightly cropped on the sides, to match the 3:4-ratio I wanted for the posters.

http://www.imagebanana.com/img/tnlf81kz/miposter.jpg

By the way, here are both "before and after"-comparisons:
MI 1 (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/9ntbr6t/mi1_poster.gif)
MI 2 (http://www.imagebanana.com/img/vggdyu6z/mi2_poster.gif)

ssdsa
05-19-2007, 07:47 PM
Your posters of MI1 and MI2 look really great. 4724 x 6301 pixels - wow!
I wonder if the MI2 poster is going to be rather dark when actually printed as a poster.
Do you plan to have those images printed soon? What service are you going to use?