PDA

View Full Version : So...what do you REALLY think of the patch?

Neverhoodian
11-11-2003, 08:06 PM
I would say that it's pretty good. I like it how the hit detection on the sabers has been improved and the animations seem to be smoother. I'm not going absolutely nuts over it, but I think it's a solid patch that smooths some things out.

babywax
11-11-2003, 08:16 PM
It is definately an improvement. Although, they should have nerfed butterfly and they didn't. I liked playing against bots, but I haven't been able to get into a good multiplayer game with low ping, so I can't really comment too much about it. Seems good though.

Kurgan
11-11-2003, 08:38 PM
The fact is they really didn't change gameplay (unless you count the "slightly harder to time rolls").

So it's definately an improvement. I don't see the reasons for people wanting to avoid this patch like they avoided the 1.03/1.04 patches for JK2.

It's the same game, just with bug fixes and exploits removed. The moves are the same, the guns are the same.

And punches and kicks have their proper sounds now, yay!

I'm sad that bots weren't improved and there is still the missing cartwheel sound (single and dual sabers) and the fact that I can't get the choke hold grapple (attack+alt attack) to work in MP, but oh well...

We can make our own bot routes, the others will have to wait for the next patch I guess...

Jaden007
11-11-2003, 08:46 PM
8-10 my rating i liked it but im not "crazy" about it :cool:

kmd
11-11-2003, 08:56 PM
the rag doll is better, a few bugs fixed, i didnt really get many though, and better x-wing flying

Tyler_Durden
11-11-2003, 10:05 PM
I haven't actually downloaded the patch yet. But i am curious to see how it affects gameplay. Too bad the patch does not contain fixes to dynamic glow for Nvidia owners such as myself, it really adds a lot to the saber, maybe a patch down the line perhaps? So honestly there's not too much for me here in terms of SP, i really do miss the first person perspective in SP, Raven, please, PLEASE do something about this. However, i just got a cable modem and i think i might try out Siege.

Emon
11-11-2003, 10:13 PM
I voted for it being the best thing, since it's been about the only thing.

I haven't tried the Catalysty 3.9s yet, which are supposed to resolve some JA issues, but dynamic glow still drops my framerate in the same fashion it did before, even when nothing glowy is on the screen. I also get 40-50 FPS in Duel 6 (that pretty Yavin one, that's like outdoors), and I recall getting a full 60 before, but that's probably a driver issue or something unrelated. This is all on a 1.53 GHz Athlon, Radeon 9700, 768 MB of RAM.

It's definately an improvement, though, as stated. I think it's a step in the right direction. All LEC needs to do is continue letting Raven make patches, and there won't be any problems in the long run.

Darth MarcII
11-11-2003, 11:10 PM
The Catalyst drivers are a definite improvement. No more of those screen flashes. Also, the sabers look noticeably better.

Prime
11-12-2003, 01:12 AM
Seems to be pretty good to me. A lot of little things add up to a good improvement...

SlapNut
11-12-2003, 06:09 AM
nothings changed, they said new maps, and the fighting woulr be modified to make it more skillfull so u dont just do katas and crap, but i havnt noticed anything apart from not being able to roll well, is this just the first part of the patch?

Crow_Nest
11-12-2003, 06:16 AM
Ruined the game. :mad:

I also don't see that much changes.

StormHammer
11-12-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by SlapNut
nothings changed, they said new maps, and the fighting woulr be modified to make it more skillfull so u dont just do katas and crap, but i havnt noticed anything apart from not being able to roll well, is this just the first part of the patch?

Er...who said that, and when? Do you have a link to a quote...because I don't recall seeing anyone from Lucasarts or Raven promising anything like that in a patch.

In fact, they didn't officially announce the patch until just after it was released and available for download.

Anyway, I've installed the patch, and the in-game server browser certainly seems to be working better. Other than that, I can't tell much of a difference - although I probably haven't played extensively enough since installing it to notice all the little tweaks people seem to be talking about.

Astrotoy7
11-12-2003, 08:51 AM
This patch is more of a 'quick glitch fix', than an aim/attempt at addressing gameplay issues specifically. It actually hasnt been a full two months since the game's release ; I would think this is too short a time to accurately gather let alone address feedback given by the broader community that would play this game. Face it, theres alot of ppl/kids who havent even played this game yet and are more likely to by/after Xmas....

For a mainly SP gamer with an nvidia graphics card, all the patch has done is....well, not much at all.

I hope this wont be the last patch.....

MTFBWYA

Kurgan
11-12-2003, 09:18 AM
It hasn't ruined the game. I was worried at first but then I realized I was using the buggy "jedi vs. merc" and there was nothing to fear.

There's still some missing sound effects and I want the Choke hold, but I am glad the punch/kick sounds are back!

The exploit fixes and the server browser fix are the main things.

BloodRiot
11-12-2003, 10:17 AM
My borther told me that the staff gets deflected more often now. Well i can't say fer sure, but even if it's true... i think it's cool since single get's deflected alot. Since he could still kick some butt i'd say it didn't imbalance things.

I kinda got my butt kicked last night but i was a bit tired and not really into playing.. just wanted to try out the patch... i could notice anything less subtle apart from the roll changes, so i can't really say much for myself.

Not actually altering gameplay or nerfing, but instead adding to it... it would be cool to see new moves added for all sabers. Both regular swings and supermoves. New maps are always welcome as well :)

Btw... not exactly a complaint but it' still impossible to win a saberlock vs a bot in mp :p

grumph roooaarr rrraaaarrrr.... i'm a wookie :chewie:

Tesla
11-12-2003, 11:21 AM
Everything in MP i'm happy with, everything is fine. :D

But SP, they removed some of the CVARs, and im a little annoyed at that, because now i can't get dismemberment working :(

Oh god please tell me why Raven made the MoreRealistic CVAR Write Protected :confused: ?

Akshara
11-12-2003, 11:33 AM
Tesla... if you were using the Shortcut code trick to get SP dismemberment, simply replace all the instances of "devmapall" with "HelpUsObi 1" and the shortcut should work... theoretically.

-----

On my opinon of the Patch... well it's made the game much more enjoyable for me. If one uses Staff regularly, there's a ton of improvements with the way it handles and the animations/sounds - it's almost like having a new weapon. The Kicks are actually usable now, and the jump kicks are easier to do as well as faster. Also, I noticed in online FFA that I would often get pushed back by someone in the middle of a saber contact - this never happened before, and made it much more difficult to execute a butterfly in a group of people.

On my system, without touching a single graphic setting ingame or on the card, my graphics resolution dramatically improved on an ATI Radeon 9000 using Catalyst 6 drivers. I did look in my jampconfig.cfg file and saw a few cvars that weren't there before, specifically related to Aniosotropic filtering and graphics card settings.

It's difficult to imagine one installing this and not seeing a serious difference from the previous version.

Lord Death =RG=
11-12-2003, 12:17 PM
Well the patch fixes some things but brings new crap with it. As somewone mentioned before i also get 40 to 60 fps on yavin but it drops very low sometimes. And the whole duel yavin map is totally screwed up, take a look at the screen:

http://ds.gamer.hr/pics/error1.JPG

Sam Fisher
11-12-2003, 12:41 PM
I've noticed some oddites with saber blocking, it would block into you, and act like someone stabbed you. And some other issues with one-hit-kills, with any saber... other than that... I guess it ok.

GunShark
11-12-2003, 01:00 PM
Is it just me or have the duel sabers changed? it now seems a bit more challenging to use them in MP anyways, dont know about SP yet. I'd become quite skilled with duels (if i do say so myself) as it's the only saber type i use and previously you could twirl around no end getting hits left and right but now it seems...dunno, it's as though the whole way of using duels has altered as though you now need a bit more skill to control them, but i have noticed that when they connect there a lot more deadly than before but i think that last bit is more to do with the hit detection. Either that or i'm abit out of practice with duels since i haven't been on JKA for about 2 weeks, too much BF1942 secret weapons and the BF1942 SW mod and the UT troopers mod. Oh well no big deal i'll just have to do some more training with my duels again :)

Prime
11-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by SlapNut
nothings changed, they said new maps, and the fighting woulr be modified to make it more skillfull so u dont just do katas and crap, but i havnt noticed anything apart from not being able to roll well, is this just the first part of the patch? It appears "they" have nothing to do with Raven, Lucasarts, or this patch. Those claims were never made from an official source. You can decide to be upset about it, but you can hardly be surprised.

Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Ruined the game.

I also don't see that much changes. How can it ruin the game when all it did was fix a few bugs? Everything else is almost all the same. What drastic alteration has made the game so unplayable?

From my very limited experience with the new patch, the blocking seems a bit more reliable and the damage seems to be a bit higher. I haven't played long enough to know if this is really the case, but Raven seems to have altered the balance/gameplay of the sabers slightly. From what I've seen, it appears to be an improvement.

Can anyone with more experience with the patch confirm any of this?

GunShark
11-12-2003, 01:52 PM
I've just noticed something a little interesting in my JAconfig this line was never there before the patch but i dont want to muck about with it just yet incase i screw over my settings.

seta g_saberNewControlScheme "0"

Then again i thik i'll make a copy of my jaconfig and see what happens when i select 1. i'll let you guys know what i find.

Darth Kaan
11-12-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
It hasn't ruined the game. I was worried at first but then I realized I was using the buggy "jedi vs. merc" and there was nothing to fear.

There's still some missing sound effects and I want the Choke hold, but I am glad the punch/kick sounds are back!

The exploit fixes and the server browser fix are the main things.

Amen Kurgan, Amen.

Prime
11-12-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by GunShark
seta g_saberNewControlScheme "0" Ooh, that looks interesting :)

Karn
11-12-2003, 03:00 PM
What a lot of you guys arn't realizing is that most of the multiplayer servers use different settings. All the servers that use the bladeworks settings, the ones with @BWN next to them, are slightly more skill designed duel servers. However, they can only do so much, the rest is up to raven till the sdk is realeased :-(

-Master Karn
www.clanmaster.org

|GG|Carl
11-12-2003, 03:06 PM
I like it, but I'm not crazy about it.

I like it more thann I don't likeit, and I like it much motre than the JO patches.

Rumor
11-12-2003, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Er...who said that, and when? Do you have a link to a quote...because I don't recall seeing anyone from Lucasarts or Raven promising anything like that in a patch.

In fact, they didn't officially announce the patch until just after it was released and available for download.

Anyway, I've installed the patch, and the in-game server browser certainly seems to be working better. Other than that, I can't tell much of a difference - although I probably haven't played extensively enough since installing it to notice all the little tweaks people seem to be talking about.

threewave software is making new maps.

Vanor
11-12-2003, 03:32 PM
I'm currious...

What exactly is there to dislike about this patch?

It did little other then fix a few bugs, so I don't see how it can ruin the game or be considered anything other then a great patch.

Unless the point is it didn't do enough...

So what exactly do people dislike about the patch?

SirYawnalot
11-12-2003, 05:02 PM
Maybe people don't like that it's easier to block now, so they get cained by skilled single-saber users :P I wouldn't be surprised if people held this opinion, given how many folks hated the removal of 360-degree backslash in JK2. (if you don't see the connection: both are welcome improvements, but numerous dumbasses don't like them)

GunShark
11-12-2003, 05:31 PM
Well i've set the new seta g_saberNewControlScheme "0" to 1 and haven't noticed anything different in SP so far. i just wish there was some better documentation showing what the new settings are for what they do and what are the different settings E.G 0, 1, 2 ect.
I'll just have to experiement for a while, I've also noticed some new settings in the jampconfig heres what i've noticed as new so far.

seta g_saberDmgDelay_Wound "0"
seta g_saberDmgDelay_Idle "350"
seta g_saberDmgVelocityScale "0"

all we need is info on the various setting options

BJP3E
11-12-2003, 07:46 PM
I have the patch going and it has only hurt me in one spot so its nota big deal but I am wonder about the ragdoll fix that is mentioned what was changed ?? I don't see a bit of difference with the patch or not ?

Kurgan
11-12-2003, 08:52 PM
Did you enter

\broadsword 1

in the console first?

In 1.0 MP I noticed that having ragdoll on and getting blown up by a bunch of explosives would often cause the game to crash (I'd crash out of my server, leaving a 999 ping "ghost" behind, and have to kick myself then rejoin).

I haven't checked to see if this is fixed or not, but it mostly happened in Siege_Korriban (for obvious reasons, heh).

cheeto101
11-12-2003, 09:49 PM
You guys try the kicks out?? Man, i was hittin people left and right with them.Theyre def alot more user friendly now. I even got a kill shot off on someone after i knocked them down, Saber right through the chest.

Dracofyre
11-12-2003, 10:10 PM
I'm not CRAZY!!!LOLOL!!shiftone! about this patch, but it is a good solid release, that cleared up some bugs (unlike the "patches" that got released for JKO *twitch*). Lets hope they keep this trend going of just fixing the game rather than "FIXING"(<--insert neon glow there) the game like what was done to JKO.
Bug Fix goooood
Nerfing baaaaad

Now if they would only get rid of that friggin WSAEADDRNOTAVAIL message I'll be happy.

Pnut_Man
11-13-2003, 01:17 AM
For anyone that uses the ships and fighters, HOLY CRAP--The new flight controls are freakin awesome!

I have no problem with this patch whatsoever. I notice that some of my textures and shaders are not appearing, but that might just be me..

WJTW
11-13-2003, 07:38 AM
Kurgan, BJP3E meant the ragdoll fix for SP. There was no fix for ragdoll issues in MP at all.
Like BJP3E, I didn't notice any significant changes to the ragdoll. Still slow to respond, and sometimes not respond at all.
Possibly something smaller fixed.

An unrelated question: How do I get the no. of FPS to display on the game?

WJTW

razorace
11-13-2003, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by GunShark
I've just noticed something a little interesting in my JAconfig this line was never there before the patch but i dont want to muck about with it just yet incase i screw over my settings.

seta g_saberNewControlScheme "0"

Then again i thik i'll make a copy of my jaconfig and see what happens when i select 1. i'll let you guys know what i find.

I'm pretty sure that was in SP v1.00. I tried it but it didn't seem to do anything.

t3rr0r
11-13-2003, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Pnut_Master
For anyone that uses the ships and fighters, HOLY CRAP--The new flight controls are freakin awesome!
indeed they are!

and the fixed sound system for the sabers in mp makes me happy. i was tired of only hearing one or two swings instead of many.

mutan
11-13-2003, 12:18 PM
hmm i think the patch is not so good. Because am a siege player and it seems now with thet patch that the saber damage is increased. First we thought is was the server, but that wasnt it because it had standard setting. NOw alot of people are jedi and they only hit you ones and your dead! I played siege because of the weapons, and now there only jedi's and after a few second your dead because some dude saber trow you again. before the patch you could be jedi but that was most of the times stupid now all people are jedi they dont no how to play the game the only now where the saber trow button is.

If am wrong plz say so :D

SirYawnalot
11-13-2003, 01:04 PM
If you don't like lightsabers in Siege then you might as well play UT's Assault instead.

Prime
11-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by mutan
Because am a siege player and it seems now with thet patch that the saber damage is increased. That is excellent news. Jedi were worthless in Seige before.

NOw alot of people are jedi and they only hit you ones and your dead! Uh, doesn't this sound like what a lightsaber should do?

I played siege because of the weapons, and now there only jedi's and after a few second your dead because some dude saber trow you again. Guns/explosives can still be effective against Jedi. Besides, you could always have a friendly Jedi protect you...

before the patch you could be jedi but that was most of the times stupid now all people are jedi they dont no how to play the game the only now where the saber trow button is. They don't know how to play the game? It sounds like they are killing you OK, so doesn't that mean they know how to play the game?

Perhaps you should state some rules that everyone should abide by so you can use guns...

mutan
11-13-2003, 01:34 PM
i dont say i dont like the saber i say i dont like saberdamage is now to easy as a jedi to kill somebody

That is excellent news. Jedi were worthless in Seige before

the werent worthless but someone who was good with guns could defeat a jedi. BUt if they where a good jedi it was hard. Now its nearly impossible for a someone with a gun to defeat a jedi or you must see him coming.

They don't know how to play the game? It sounds like they are killing you OK, so doesn't that mean they know how to play the game?

MAN am not some freaking noob. Siege is team based. you have to work together to complete the objectives. YOu need therefore different classes. Now there a lot of jedi who dont play for the team they only kill people ! THis could be usefull but not all the time!

Nemios
11-13-2003, 03:10 PM
Well, I suppose the bug fixing makes this patch quite good... but since they ignored what I care the most (1st person lightsaber POV and Bot routes in Siege) there's still no reason for me to buy the game. Too few improvements on Jedi Outcast and a forced unfunny 3rd person lightsaber POV. :mad: :(

Lathain Valtiel
11-13-2003, 04:21 PM
*Laughs hysterically* Buddy, who CARES if a saber can strike you down in one slash? If you're any good you should be able to dodge easily with good use of strafe jumping. With good aim you can waste Jedi with a few charged Blastech shots. Don't blame the game because you're a disgrace as a gunner mutan.

Prime
11-13-2003, 04:32 PM
i dont say i dont like the saber i say i dont like saberdamage is now to easy as a jedi to kill somebody But isn't that as it should be? From the games that I played before, the jedi were pretty much useless, because gunners could just use alt-fire with the heavy weapons and clean Jedi out.

I just think it is probably a good thing that Jedi are now at least more capable and dangerous, and that this an improvement over the previous version.

the werent worthless but someone who was good with guns could defeat a jedi. BUt if they where a good jedi it was hard. Now its nearly impossible for a someone with a gun to defeat a jedi or you must see him coming. Jedi may now be much more potent, yes. But a gunner still has the ability with an alt-shot or two to take out a Jedi. It is possible to dodge a saber throw, especially if the range is enough. A gunner's advantage is fighting from a distance, and the Jedi's is fighting in closer quarters. From what I have seen, gunners are still able to be effective at a distance. Your milage may vary.

MAN am not some freaking noob. Relax :) I didn't say you were a "freaking noob." All I said was that since you claim that most people are Jedi and are able to kill everyone with ease (including yourself, I presume). If they are able to kill people consistently like you say, then it seems to me that your statement that "they dont no how to play the game" is false. This is in terms of being able to kill opponants.

Completely the objectives of the Seige game is another matter altogether:)

Siege is team based. you have to work together to complete the objectives. YOu need therefore different classes. Now there a lot of jedi who dont play for the team they only kill people ! THis could be usefull but not all the time! I agree completely that different classes are needed to complete objectives, and that people who are just FFAing "ruin" the game. However, this behavior isn't the fault of the classes themselves (Jedi or otherwise), but the players themselves. They could just as easily act the same with guns.

mutan
11-13-2003, 05:08 PM
i know but if they have a gun and they suck at that they will be killed everytime, now with the jedi they can kill someone easy and now you just walk 2 sec and a dozend of jedi's is killing you. BUt ofcourse it make a difference of the people who are playing you right about that. But yesterday it made me mad that everytime all those jedi where coming. We won easily thats not the point its just annoying that some people who dont no what siege is like sabertrow you over and over again

Other point in some servers are people who are team switching all the time thats also very annoying. I hope there comes something that keeps the teams even.

Kurgan
11-14-2003, 03:42 AM
For me the saber thing is not a problem at all, because, to be honest, I played JA with g_saberdamagescale from day 1.

I remembered what Raven said about saber damage in JK2 1.04 (use 1 for duels if you want longer battles, 2 for non duels), and took their advice.

I simply learned to play that way with increased saber damage.

Jedi have mad sk1llz with the saber and that is good because they are so easy to kill (no shields, no ranged attacks other than saber throw and lightning which not every Jedi have anyway).

For example the Dark Jedi on Siege_Hoth is super duper weak, anything to make him more useful is fine by me.

I have no trouble killing Jedi (unless they're better players than me) on any of the Siege maps in general and as a Jedi I have to be smart and play hard to defeat good gunners.

But yes, the point is completing the objectives. You may be slaughtering people left and right with your saber throw (then again, you can't block when the saber is out of your hand, so that's a prime time to get shot up!) but if it delays you from completing the objectives... you lose!

Plus, at the default settings, sabers are incredibly weak for destroying breakable objects for the most part, so Jedi are only so useful with their sabers alone. Except on Korriban, the Jedi is really a support class.

Prime
11-14-2003, 01:47 PM
its just annoying that some people who dont no what siege is like sabertrow you over and over again Annoying or not, players are entitled to use any means given to them by the game. Saberthrow is one of those tools :)

mutan
11-14-2003, 02:20 PM
yeah you right, some people do everything to win like liftlame **** :P

locdog420
11-14-2003, 03:21 PM
For gunners this patch seems great because it has fixed some glitches here and there, but lets be serious here guys...to us hardcore NF saberists, it has totally ruined our game! Why take out the back roll, now we get stuck in a kata and can not get out of it as easy! Its a pain in the ass to do a forward roll, Don't say that you just have to look down to roll or double tap , any of that bs......I have spent hours analyzing the roll, and its just completely inconsistent and a pain in the ass! Just when i feel I have the roll down, it just plain and simple will not work...ya you can jump then go into a roll every time but that does not work very well in duelz! There was nothing wrong with the rolling in the first place! If your a gunner do not comment on my post because you do not know what your talking about! Well instead of roll stabbing now i just have to lame backswing because i know when my opponent is vulnerable doing a kata that I can NOT rely on the roll stab working! *sigh* Rolling is huge part of nf sabz both in duels and in ffa! It completely ruined the game I play! A good thing it fixed was the ghost hits! LOL , alteast they got that right! Maybe next patch they can make it so we drop both sabers and have to stand there and headbutt!

JDKnite188
11-14-2003, 03:59 PM
The patch is good in the fact that it didn't kill the gaming community. It fixed some bugs and that's it!

There are some items that they should address, though . . .

1. Speed up the rockets! They go slower than my body's decay (okay, maybe not that slow)!

I will think of more later . . . .