PDA

View Full Version : Basic Ideas (?): Server Browser Filters


Kurgan
11-23-2003, 08:07 AM
I know a lot of people use ASE or Qtracker, but wouldn't it be nice to add more filters to the In-game server browser?


Some examples:

Sabers Only Filter(s).

Jedi Vs. Merc Filter(s). (after all, there are already icons for both of these, but no way to list only those, or ignore only those)

Ping threshhold Filters. (say filter out servers with a min or max ping you can set)

Dedicated vs. Non Dedicated Filter(s). (not sure if that's possible or not)

Full Force vs. Force Disabled Filter(s). It would also be nice if it were possible to differentiate between "Any Force Powers Disabled, including just one" vs. "All Force Powers Disabled." There are two icons, I think one is for full force disabled and one for any force, but I can't be sure.

Cheats Enabled Filter(s). Display only servers that have cheats enabled, or hide those with cheats enabled.



Ideally we'd have a server browser more like UT and with all the options of QT and ASE (that's a lot of work), but in this instance I think simply the Q3 based on already in JA, just with more filter tabs and bars and such would be nice.

GothiX
11-23-2003, 12:20 PM
A password-filter would be handy too...

razorace
11-23-2003, 06:39 PM
I think it's a good idea but I'm not particularly interested in doing it. I rarely use the browser since I'm normally on a dail up.

Marker0077
11-25-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
I know a lot of people use ASE or Qtracker, but wouldn't it be nice to add more filters to the In-game server browser?

Some examples:

Sabers Only Filter(s).

Jedi Vs. Merc Filter(s). (after all, there are already icons for both of these, but no way to list only those, or ignore only those)

Ping threshhold Filters. (say filter out servers with a min or max ping you can set)

Dedicated vs. Non Dedicated Filter(s). (not sure if that's possible or not)

Full Force vs. Force Disabled Filter(s). It would also be nice if it were possible to differentiate between "Any Force Powers Disabled, including just one" vs. "All Force Powers Disabled." There are two icons, I think one is for full force disabled and one for any force, but I can't be sure.

Cheats Enabled Filter(s). Display only servers that have cheats enabled, or hide those with cheats enabled.

Ideally we'd have a server browser more like UT and with all the options of QT and ASE (that's a lot of work), but in this instance I think simply the Q3 based on already in JA, just with more filter tabs and bars and such would be nice. GameSpy 3D (NOT GameSpy Arcade) can already do all of that except for the server purity just because JK2 & JK3 do not show what the sv_pure CVar is set to out of game, which is bizarre because all other Quake based games do. Perhaps that can be another add for OJP Basic.

ASE is pretty similar to GS3D so I would think that it can do it as well but ASE is better for Euro users mainly because of the server lists. I get more American servers via GS3D so I stick with that.

If you need any filters that do any of that or anything else, let me know. My contact info is in my signature. You can download GameSpy 3D at www.gamespy3d.com.Originally posted by gothicX
A password-filter would be handy too... GS3D can do that too. It can also store the password for servers you know the password to, that way you never need to enter it more than once.Originally posted by razorace
I think it's a good idea but I'm not particularly interested in doing it. I rarely use the browser since I'm normally on a dail up. This isn't really an OJP issue tbh, I mean, what are you going to do, make the in-game browser completely configurable? It's just not worth the effort, especially considering that the server lists it pulls are completely from the internet; With GS3D, it pulls server lists off of the net & keeps a client side copy of all server lists, this way you get to refresh servers that may be online regardless of whether or not the master is spitting out that servers IP at the time.

Which reminds me, you guys should add the gamespy master server to the sv_master2 CVar. It should get servers into circulation quicker. For JK3 it's master0.gamespy.com & the port is 28900, although I highly doubt you'll need the port number.

Wudan
11-25-2003, 08:31 PM
This sounds like a good suggestion - anyone who's played Enemy Territory would know the kind of layout I'd be leaning towards.

Marker0077
11-25-2003, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Wudan
This sounds like a good suggestion - anyone who's played Enemy Territory would know the kind of layout I'd be leaning towards. Did you read what I posted? You can already do this with GS3D. What would be the point in changing the in-game browser?

First of all, the in-game browser takes a longer to load than GS3D.

Secondly, you could never code all the options (hell, you couldn't code half of them) that GS3D has into the in-game browser (not to mention this works on a variety of games & not just this one).

Thirdly, you couldn't program the in-game browser to retain server lists client side (which gives you a larger server list to choose from).

Need I say more?

razorace
11-26-2003, 02:29 AM
Actually you could probably do most if not all of that. It would just be too much of a hassle.

Marker0077
11-26-2003, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by razorace
Actually you could probably do most if not all of that. It would just be too much of a hassle. I don't think you understand what it is I am saying. I'm not talking about making just these filters, I'm talking about setting up the in-game browser so that users can create their own based on any one the various variables servers may have shown.

Not that it isn't possible, it's just that I highly doubt it will ever be as good as GS3D.

Wudan
11-26-2003, 01:30 PM
Call me old fashioned, but you shouldn't need a 3rd party plug in to get your program to work at the level you want.

Yes, I read what you posted, however, Not all of us want to whoredom of GameSpy infecting our hard-drives. It's not worth the space.

Also, doing work to help players find the games they want to play isn't a waste of time - it's important, and SAVES time. Who the hell wants to join a server and leave right away because it's not the right 'kind' of server.

This is another problem with JA/JO - soooo many configurations, it favors the admin and his type of play, but unless you know or ARE a server admin, you'll probably never have any say in the type of game you want to play.

It's too late to fix the problem of wacky configuration'ness, but it's not too late to help the player find their ideal game.

Why does everybody seem so against the player? He's the one person you *should* be making your mod for.

Marker0077
11-26-2003, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Wudan
Call me old fashioned, but you shouldn't need a 3rd party plug in to get your program to work at the level you want.You do if you want it to work perfectly, & I do mean perfectly. You install GS3D & tell me 1 thing you want to do with it that you can't.

Also, I am old fashioned. I was playing 3D games before the internet was big & we had to call up a local BBS system to play Doom. I've been using GameSpy 3D for about 8 years & it is still the best online gaming browser there is for Americans by far. GameSpy Arcade is for n00bs that don't know how to use GameSpy 3D & refuse to take a little bit of time to understand it - it's not complicated.

This isn't really a plug in, I guess you could call it that but I wouldn't consider it to be one. GameSpy 3D does however have plug-ins built into it for ICQ & Roger Wilco.Originally posted by Wudan
Yes, I read what you posted, however, Not all of us want to whoredom of GameSpy infecting our hard-drives. It's not worth the space.First of all, you do realize I am NOT talking about GameSpy Arcade. I hate GameSpy Arcade, I can't stand that program. I am talking about GameSpy 3D. It is absolutely awesome.

Secondly, the infection thing is GameSpy Arcade - NOT GameSpy 3D. GSA does just about everything server-side. The only thing GS3D does server-side is get the master server lists, everything else is client side which gives you more servers than all other online browsers (especially the in-game browser). The only other online browser that can even hold a candle to GS3D is All Seeing Eye but ASE is better for Euro users. I get more servers in my server lists with GS3D.

Thirdly, I just checked my GS3D folder, it takes up 4.15MB.

If you think I am talking about GameSpy Arcade then ya, I can understand where you are coming from & would have to agree, but GameSpy 3D is a totally different proggy.Originally posted by Wudan
Also, doing work to help players find the games they want to play isn't a waste of time - it's important, and SAVES time. Who the hell wants to join a server and leave right away because it's not the right 'kind' of server.I wasn't saying it was a waste of time to do this, I was saying that it's a waste of time to do this for the in-game browser.

GS3D not only does everything you want & more, it does it for just about all games; Therefore, it's not worth the effort, especially considering that it probably won't even be able to do half the stuff GS3D does even if anyone did modify the in-game browser.Originally posted by Wudan
This is another problem with JA/JO - soooo many configurations, it favors the admin and his type of play, but unless you know or ARE a server admin, you'll probably never have any say in the type of game you want to play.Of course, that's like saying the person who owns a house shouldn't get to make up the house rules, it should be up to the people that visit the house - it doesn't work like that nor should it.

What I recommend is you find some servers you like. Personally, I usually only play on DarkSide & BWN servers, rarely do I go elsewhere mainly because people like to mess with settings & DarkSide uses the defaults. DarkSide is a community of servers, not just one. They are also statistically linked together so you can checkout your stats in-game etc; etc. The only thing I like about BWN is the server tells you the winners remaining HPs but you usually find the better players on DarkSide & DarkSide has a somewhat strict "default settings only" rule, BWN is not so strict but the settings are okay.Originally posted by Wudan
It's too late to fix the problem of wacky configuration'ness, but it's not too late to help the player find their ideal game.It's never too late with something like this. All you really need to do is inform the admin community as much as possible about why their settings are messed up & why they should change them & you should get the breakthrough you're looking for. Again, I normally only play on DarkSide, so it's not something I'm pursuing myself, nor have any interest in.Originally posted by Wudan
Why does everybody seem so against the player? He's the one person you *should* be making your mod for.While I agree with you on this, this is somewhat similar to the house rules thing again. I have my own projects & I know I'm not going to let anyone run my show, I might give everyone the opportunity to voice their opinion, maybe even take up some polls on a variety of forums to get a majority rules type thing going, but never would I allow someone to tell me what is best. If anyone thinks that they can do things better, then they can do their own project & we'll let the public make the decision from there (e.g. who uses whos mod the most).