PDA

View Full Version : "LucasArts Soundtracks" - the site is finally UP

Pages : [1] 2 3

Laserschwert
11-30-2003, 07:52 PM
Some of you knew it would be coming, and some of you will be hit entirely by surprise... but I finally got my new site up and running:

"LucasArts Soundtracks"

A site showcasing the brilliant work of LucasArts' music department, and enabling you to make decent soundtrack CDs of the best game soundtracks ever.

Right now the site features the following soundtracks:

"The Secret of Monkey Island"
"Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge"
"The Curse of Monkey Island"
"Escape from Monkey Island"
"Sam & Max Hit the Road"
"Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis"
"Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb"
"Star Wars: Dark Forces"

But of course I will add more content as I find time. Right now Kenneth L. Simonsen (who did a fantastic job of MP3ifing "The Fate of Atlantis" and "Dark Forces") is working on more soundtracks for the site, and I am going to start working on the "Day of the Tentacle" soundtrack next week.

Adding to that I am going to create stylish CD-covers for all the soundtracks (right now only the four MI-soundtracks have covers), so that they don't look too dull on your shelf.

I hope you enjoy this site as much as I like working on it (and of course listening to the music), and please, help me spread the word that this site exists...

Here's the link:

LucasArts Soundtracks (http://www.scummbar.com/mi2)

BooJaka
11-30-2003, 07:57 PM
Very very nice. I like

Jake
11-30-2003, 08:45 PM
This site should get proper hosting with a subdomain either at TSB or Mojo...

Laserschwert
11-30-2003, 08:48 PM
@Jake:

Yeah, I already mailed Remi about that... he says he'll try to get me a subdomain in the next days.

Alien426
12-01-2003, 06:20 AM
Grrrreat site!

You should remove "scrolling=yes" from the frameset tags.

Laserschwert
12-01-2003, 07:25 AM
Thanks *g*

(And I can't remove the "scrolling" from the tags, because people with lower resolution need them... I hate those scrolling bars too, but it has to work for everybody.)

Alien426
12-01-2003, 07:40 AM
Nah, scroll bars will automatically be displayed when needed. (Kannst du bei SelfHTML (http://selfhtml.teamone.de/html/frames/eigenschaften.htm) nachlesen.)

I just noticed that there is music from Dark Forces. I can't wait to get home and check that out. Guess it was really hard to get that music in an acceptable form - it relied heavily on iMuse.

Laserschwert
12-01-2003, 07:59 AM
(Dann muss ich mir SelfHTML wohl nochmal zur Gemüte führen)

And yes, the "Dark Forces" soundtrack sounds incredible. Kenneth Simonsen did an awesome job on them (and according to him it was pretty painstaking). By the way, he uses GigaStudio, the same synth that Hans Zimmer uses!

Joshi
12-01-2003, 09:52 AM
It's great. and as you say in your opening statement about the old acronym being hard to remember, I think LAS is something that's gonna be around for a while. Might I suggest the Full throttle soundtrack for the near future (no rush, but it's sure to be a hit). God Luck man.

Jake
12-01-2003, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Laserschwert And yes, the "Dark Forces" soundtrack sounds incredible. Kenneth Simonsen did an awesome job on them (and according to him it was pretty painstaking). By the way, he uses GigaStudio, the same synth that Hans Zimmer uses!

The DF soundtrack is really awesome! Jeez. I'd sort of avoided it when I was looking around the site earlier because I sort of expected it to be crappy sounding :)

A lot of people use gigastudios it seems like, including Clint Bajakian and Jeremy Soule (he did the KOTOR soundtrack as well as probably a lot of other games).

Udvarnoky
12-01-2003, 08:35 PM
This is amazing. You know what would be REALLY cool, though? Remixes of the NES Maniac Mansion themes. That would be, like, COOL. Really cool. Not that I'd ever ask anyone to do it or anything.

Laserschwert
12-01-2003, 09:40 PM
@Joshi:

Well, doing "Full Throttle" would be cool, but unfortunately the game doesn't really have that much music that can be ripped from the game. And besides that, the soundtrack with all the "Gone Jackals"-songs ("Bone Pick") is still available. So that probably wouldn't happen.

@Udvarnoky:

It's very hard to get good quality music from all the old LucasFilmGames-games, like "Maniac Mansion" or "Zak MacKracken". There are two great remixes from the main titles of those two games, made by Puffy64. I WOULD be interested in adding a "Classics"-section to my site, containing all the music from those games. But those older games didn't have that much music in them, though I've gotta admit, that I've never played the NES-version of "Maniac Mansion", so I don't know what's with the music inthat version. But even if it's good enough, how on earth would I rip data from an NES-game??

Udvarnoky
12-01-2003, 09:43 PM
The NES version has themes for each character..good ones, too.

Laserschwert
12-01-2003, 09:51 PM
All right, just before I wanted to answer to your post by asking, if you could record the tunes from the NES, I found 11 MIDIs ripped from the NES-version on the web.

But still, can you record those files to your PC?

EDIT: Never mind, got the NES-game to work on the PC, and it sounds just terrible. So, I'll try to turn the MIDIs into something... though I don't think they're good enough, and you were talking about remixes. Well, I'll try to talk Puffy64 into something... no promises though.

Udvarnoky
12-01-2003, 10:15 PM
The MIDIS you got were remixes, and if you're listening using a ROM, it will indeed sound terrible.

Laserschwert
12-10-2003, 09:39 PM
All right, the first DOTT-track is up... but be patient... the rest will still take a while... this one's just an appetizer...

Udvarnoky
12-10-2003, 11:13 PM
Wow. This is great stuff.

woodenstool
12-13-2003, 02:49 AM
It would be better if you put the lengths of the tracks too.

CaliMonk
12-15-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by Laserschwert
All right, the first DOTT-track is up... but be patient... the rest will still take a while... this one's just an appetizer...

Great stuff, i'd like to note though, your link in your sig doesn't work :-)

Laserschwert
12-15-2003, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by CaliMonk
Great stuff, i'd like to note though, your link in your sig doesn't work :-)

Oh shoot! :eek:

Well, that was the link to the old page, which HAD an index.html file... now it's just index.htm... ah, you've gotta learn to appreciate the little things in life :D

The Tingler
12-17-2003, 11:21 AM
This is a reply to Captain Solo's threat.
Just to get everyone here in the know, while looking at the soundtrack for COMI I noticed that many of the track names had been taken from my COMI track list, posted on theiMuse Island forum (http://pub6.ezboard.com/fimuseislandforumimuseislandforum.showMessage?topi cID=111.topic).

After mailing Solo/Jan/whatever, telling them about this and asking for a little credit (book writers put references in Bibliographies when writing, don't they?), he denied it.

Captain Solo is a regular forumite at iMuse Island, and has a reply in the thread.

Solo said that most were taken from the Scumm Revisited file, which I did not even know existed when I created mine (for my own purposes, really, but I thought I'd share it). I can't get through to the link now, I don't know how close I got. But I have obviously left my mark on many of the track names, specifically:

Murray's Introduction (Ship Exterior after the Battle)
Maturity In 23 Seconds (Guybrush grows up - 23 seconds is the length of the track, including a LeChuck-theme bit that was cut out from the game)
"Time Out, Young Man" (I thought this would be quite a classy name for the scene where little Guybrush steps out of the carriage to the LeChuck theme)
Voodoo & Things (made up, obviously)
Quicksand/Papapishu (quicksand would have done, but I thought I'd get the gag in as well)
Jazzy Voodoo In The Swamp (word for word)
The various 'Swordfighting' titles, 'cept one (which I didn't like either. The reason I gave all these different titles was they were getting boring and I was trying to add a bit of humor)
The Undead Lovers (purely my own)

(There were few that were also changed, but I prefer mine. 'That's A Duck' and 'Guybrush Floating Theme' - which is the official name, according to the end credits, taken as it is from MI2)

Solo denies copying me.
What do you think?

I'm not asking for money, or anything ridiculous. My list must have been some help at some point, and for that I'd just like Solo to admit it.

Sound petty, don't I? It's a bloody great achievement, very handy, those Soundtracks. I especially like the back/front covers. Ungrateful, I'm not, just so you know.

Laserschwert
12-17-2003, 06:13 PM
Hey, Tingler... good to see you in this thread now... I really would like to know what the other people think about this little "difference in opinion".

As my defense, I've gotta say, I don't deny that those track-names were made up by you, it's absolutely possible that I completed the track list from the ScummRevisited annotation file with your track names.

I just think it's a little over the top crediting you for coming up with them...

But as I said, let's ask the public.

elTee
12-17-2003, 10:52 PM
The credit list for the tracks should go on for a long time, with Michael Land et al at the top of the list. I don't think anyone cares who named the tracks, as they all have real names anyway. If there was a credit list anywhere to do with these unofficial soundtracks, I wouldn't read it. If The Tingler came up with some of the names for the tracks, the least you can do is say so in the "comments" section of the ID Tag.

Alien426
12-18-2003, 04:57 AM
Kindergarten.

For chrissake, add a small line with credits for the track names to the site. Maybe in a FAQ section, which Jan is bound to make sonner or later anyways. But nobody should expect him to re-upload the MP3s.

The Tingler
12-18-2003, 01:36 PM
Why would Jan need to re-upload the MP3s?

On a side note, I've got to ask... why do they take so long to download? I've tried on various different computers, and they all download the MP3s to various degrees of slow.

I did prevail, and now have a decent Monkey Island Melodies (comprising of music from COMI and EFMI mainly, with a few select tracks from MI2 to finish it off). I've been waiting for this moment for a long time, as this is first time I've had access to a CD rewriter.

A momentous occasion. Of course, I could have done it without this site, but it sure as hell made it a lot easier.

Also, how come you have so many different names, Jan?

Laserschwert
12-18-2003, 05:28 PM
Oh my good god... suggesting a SERIOUS discussion in this forum about this issue was a pretty stupid idea (I admit, it was MY stupid idea)... at least your comments somehow seem like you're only on the verge of being a grown up...

I am VERY sorry that the MP3s don't download fast enough for you... "I'll look into it"... or something :rolleyes:

By the way, the "re-uploading the files" comment referred to LucasTones' idea of adding your name to the comment-tag in the MP3 files... which I would have to re-upload, if I'd changed those tags.

And concerning the "many different" names, my real name is Jan, my forum-name at Mix-n-Mojo is Laserschwert and since my e-mail is captain_solo@gmx.net, my name at the iMuse-Island-forum was CaptainSolo... (though I don't really understand the context here).

Back on topic: I share LucasTones' opinion here, "I don't think anyone cares who named the tracks".

The Tingler
12-18-2003, 06:45 PM
Considering this stupid site is the only one I'm having problems with, I suggest that you do.

For example, I just downloaded the Catalyst 3.10 drivers from ATi at a size of 23.1Mb, and it took just under 10 seconds.

It took at least 25-30 seconds for each file on your site, on a good day. Somehow I doubt there is a massive stampede to get these files.

ME not grown up? I'm trying to be civilised here. I complimented you on your fantastic site (twice), and have said just how useful it has been to me. I asked a couple of inoffensive questions. I notified you of a problem I've been having with your site, as I thought you'd be concerned. Obviously none of these things matter to you.

I will not lower myself to your level, and I am I not asking for you to do something as ridiculous as re-uploading the MP3s as you have obviously gone through a lot of work already, particularly renaming the site as 'LucasArts Soundtracks'.

We have only had a couple of opinions here, and I notice you sided with half of one of them (the one that meant that you didn't actually have to do anything).

How serious would you like me to get?
What's wrong with a proper credits list on your site, as suggested by Alien426?
A simple "do you mind if I borrow a few of your track names?" would have done. You could have posted on the iMuse Forum, and I would have said "yeah, sure, go ahead".
Bit rude, wasn't it? Your character, I suppose.

The Tingler

PS You may have noticed that I'm not being quite as pleasant this time around. Three guesses why.

Jake
12-18-2003, 06:59 PM
In the words of Arnold Schwarzenegger, governer of California: STOP IT! STOP WHINING!

MrManager
12-18-2003, 07:52 PM
Your governor said that?

In this case, I agree with him. ;

Thrik
12-18-2003, 08:04 PM
Yeah Tingler, shh. You bitch.

anonymous_guest
12-18-2003, 11:59 PM
*deleted*
(Anonymous Guest made a racist comment, totally irrelevant to discussion)

Alien426
12-19-2003, 09:17 AM
...says the guy with no location.

Afraid someone might say something about destruction of cultures, slavery and colonization practices of certain other countries? You can find the dark spot on any person. So don't stoop so low and pretend you're a little angel from heaven. And STOP BEING A ****ING PRICK!

Guys, can we settle this without that annoying "anonymous_guest"? I guess all would be satisfied with a credits list / FAQ section on the site.

Tingler, I didn't mean to offend you. I know it can suck when people take the fruits of (more or less) hard labour and (maybe unintentionally) make it look like it was theirs.

> It took at least 25-30 seconds for each file on your site, on a good day.

Dude, you have every right to demand those precious seconds back. Someone from the SCUMM Bar will have to pay!!!!!1111

Wizball
12-19-2003, 10:47 AM
Damn yeah! Why can't a free private site be as fast as a COMPANY web-site?

I think we have EVERY right to demand that EVERY server regardless who is paying for it needs to be connected via T1 at minimum...

Back in the old days I waited DAYS for some downloads to finish...
Simply get something like GetRight, queue the mp3s and forget them until GetRight reports "Finished".

Spoiled kids!

To the loser asking for "due" credit for using his file names:
LOL.
If anyone would have the right to ask for credits it would be LEC not some "fan" that thinks he re-invented the wheel by naming some mp3s...

Oh and I hope you still DO fear the Germans.
If not give me your address you anon f*g and I will convience you to fear us.

As Alien426 said: Kindergarden!

Laserschwert
12-19-2003, 05:09 PM
Wow, this topic grew into an "ethnic discussion" (if you could call anonymous' racistic comments such). I am impressed... sadly in a negative way... and though I think I know who this "anonymous" is, I won't tell my theories in the hope of a peaceful settlement.

Still, it scares me, how Germany is still seen as the Nazi-Country of the world... and that this (for the lack of a better word) DUMB opinion is used as an argument in a discussion. For god's sake, take your head out of the box!

With that being said, back on topic:

Tingler, concerning MY opinion, you said that I "sided with half of one of them (the one that meant that you didn't actually have to do anything)". But maybe you should read my e-mail again, which clearly says that THAT is MY opinion since you mailed me...

And concerning your "problem" with my site and the fact that they obviously "don't matter to me"... uhm, there are some servers out there that are faster than other servers... and sometimes you just have to accept the fact, that you might have the bad luck of getting onto one that's a little slower. For my part I've gotta say a big THANK YOU to Jake, RemiO and the whole ScummBar-team for hosting my site on their server...

Taking on the credits-issue: As I already told you in my e-mail, Tingler, it's important for me to give credit to the people who deserve it... but you've got to see the relative difference of effort put into composing a soundtrack, re-mixing and -arranging it from MIDI, designing CD-covers and thinking up names for ten or twenty tracks... if there was a soundtrack which was ripped or converted by you, then you would of course get proper credit. But this is just ridiculous.

@Wizball:
Well, thanks for the support, but please calm down. I really don't want any comments concerning race in this thread... and getting aggressive doesn't help.

All right, I hope we can change the topic now...

Anybody?

Any interesting topics?

The Tingler
12-19-2003, 07:15 PM
Oh Jesus f**king Christ, where the hell did all this come from? This is the reason I rarely venture on to forums these days.
How did racism sneak into a topic about making CDs from computer game music?

Jan, are you suggesting that I'M this anonymous_guest? I severely hope not. Why would I need to insult you through a pseudonym, and especially with racism?

Tingler, concerning MY opinion, you said that I "sided with half of one of them (the one that meant that you didn't actually have to do anything)". But maybe you should read my e-mail again, which clearly says that THAT is MY opinion since you mailed me...

I'm a little confused by this. Are you LucasTones?

As for reading mail, did anyone actually bother to read of all my post?

There is a sizeable difference between 2.3Mb and 23.1Mb, yet the smaller takes up to or over three times as long. Clearly some problem there, but I promise I will not mention it again.

All I suggested was that you should have said "please" in the first place. Be polite, that's all.

This rant is now over. I thought it was ridiculous to bother with in the first place, but it was Jan's suggestion to come here.

However, I freely admit that the reason I brought this here, and especially my words in my second post, is because Jan was, simply, rude for no reason, both in his e-mail and his posts. Sound petty? Civility and politeness cost nothing, and it's all too rare to find in a forum.

A simple "do you mind if I borrow a few of your track names?" would have done. You could have posted on the iMuse Forum, and I would have said "yeah, sure, go ahead".

Yes, I'm quoting myself. I thought it needed to be restated.

I think "flamed" is the adequate expression for my suspicions about what is to follow.

Chris "The Tingler" Capel

PS Alien426, since when was I getting on at you?!

elTee
12-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Okay, this is getting a little silly now isn't it?

The Tingler, you've made your opinion perfectly clear: you claim to have named some of the tracks yourself, and Jan didn't ask you if he could use your names when he made the MP3's. We all now know that you may or may not have come up with the names, and nobody cares. I understand that you might be mad, but if Jan had announced "Named by The Tingler" when he unveiled the site nobody would have known what he was going on about. The majority of the effort in making the LucasArts Soundtracks site was done by Jan, and so to him the credit goes. Thats the end of discussion.

If we're going to carry on talking about this I'll close the thread. Get back on topic!

The Tingler
12-21-2003, 12:17 PM
What was the topic again? :)

PS Preston? Good on you mate!

Udvarnoky
12-23-2003, 11:34 PM
So, are the CD covers ever going to work again?

Laserschwert
12-24-2003, 06:39 AM
What do you mean "work again"? Don't they work right now?

Laserschwert
12-29-2003, 07:22 PM
All right, everybody... I finally gave my site an update... the following has happened:

- I slightly changed the design on the four MI-pages
- I've added the "Day of the Tentacle" soundtrack
- I've added CD covers for "Fate of Atlantis", "Day of the Tentacle" and "Sam & Max"
- I changed the MI-covers from CMYK to RGB... and I recompressed them, so that they download faster now
- I added a preview on future sections

So, let the comments come!

(Oh, and you probably should clear your cache for the site to load correctly...)

Udvarnoky
12-29-2003, 10:19 PM
Okay, the DOTT soundtrack, quite simply, ROCKS!!!!!!!!!! I do have a complaint, though:

WHERE IS DWAYNE'S THEME?

Please let me know if I'm missing it here. It's the theme played in Dwayne's hotel room in the present time. It is also an alternate theme for Snuckeys in Sam and Max. I noticed it was missing from the Sam and Max sountrack and figured you were saving it for DOTT, but I can't find it. Please tell me I'm an idiot and it's under a name I'm not recognizing.

Laserschwert
12-29-2003, 11:05 PM
No, you're right, it's neither on the S&M nor on the DOTT soundtrack. Simply because it didn't sound too well on any of my synths... sorry.

Udvarnoky
12-29-2003, 11:14 PM
My favorite song. Noooooo!

Laserschwert
01-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Happy New Year, everybody!

For a good start into the new year, I have updated my site again. I've added the soundtracks from "Grim Fandango" and "The Dig"... both including covers, of course.

Enjoy!

sgt janeus
01-05-2004, 12:17 PM
sorry to get back into the argument topic but...

that annonamous-guys comment was baleated so it appeard (and still appears) that your fighting over a sentance that says (general gyst) this comment was deleated. sooooo what are you gonna do?

bgbennyboy
01-05-2004, 01:15 PM
Quiet you.

Nice one Laserschwert :)

Laserschwert
01-05-2004, 03:02 PM
I am not really sure what you mean, Janeus...

I am not going to do anything... why should I? I am a grown up, and poor people like that "anonymous-guest" don't really bother me, since there are a lot of them out there... racism is not a way to insult me, because it's one of the lowest levels - a level I can't even see from up here... ;)

But for your interest, that guy has only two posts, one in here, and one in another one (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118828) of my threads... if you're interested, CLICK (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118828).

But now let's forget about this kid, and let's get back on topic.

sgt janeus
01-06-2004, 12:33 AM
looking back on it even I don't know what i mean.....
oh well,
But now let's forget about this kid, and let's get back on topic
I'll drink to that :-)

I've seen the site and downloaded a few... very impresed
i can safely say this site was the first lucasarts related bookmark i've made :-)

were you going to put Full Throttle on the site?
(I suppose you cant put that much up, seeing as they used the gone jackals)

and lets all hope that that anonymous_guest stops following you around

now im just going to try and change my location to Australia

guybrushthedwar
01-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Whooa
I mean Whooaaa, was the very first sound I produced when I first visit your web site Laserschwert. I've been making poor riping of LucasArts Games for years and your production has been one of the things tahta has made 2003 a good years after all. Discovering Dark Forces and the two Indiana Soundtracks I went bit funny in the head... but what you've put onilne since has been a little bi disappointing:(
First, your Sam and Max soundtrack seems to miss a few important themes and the tone of the whole was .. strange, but that must be me.:lol:
Then, GF soundtrack was a real deception : short tracks, no "Rusty Anchor".... can we hope for a montage of several cues and themes from the game instead of "simple" rip in a distant future ?
I'm aware I asked a lot but your work has impressed me a lot in the first place so... it's always worth asking.
To conclude two comments :
- why the MI3-MI4 covers are composed here and there of non MI3-MI4 pics ?
- is it me or there's no tag in the mp3 downloadable?
-your site looks great , go on, it's worth it
and that was third free comment <i>pour le monsieur</i>

Laserschwert
01-07-2004, 05:16 PM
@guybrushthedwar(f?):

Well, regarding the pros and cons, you like the site after all, I guess.

You're right, there's some stuff I didn't put on the "Sam & Max" soundtrack. That was mainly very irritating background music, like "Mystery Vortex" and "Frog Rock". But you're right, now that I look at it, there are all the Snuckey-themes that I probably should have added... maybe I'll add them later. But what about the tone? Probably just you :D

The "Grim Fandango" section was something that was created in a rush, since many people mailed me, asking when it will be put online. Maybe you've noticed, that the files aren't even on my server, that's just because I didn't upload them, but linked directly to the files from the "Grim Fandango Network" (which I was asked for by the Mojo staff). You say that there are missing tunes, and that's absolutely right, since the files provided are simply a rip of the original soundtrack CD. But I guess I'll add a "More Music from Grim Fandango"-CD as I find time (and yes, I might do montages... no promises though).

What was that about the MI3 / MI4 artwork being interchanged?

1. Huh?
2. Where?
3. What?
4. Does it matter? :cool: ;)

And yes, again you're right, no MP3-tags... at least not for most of the stuff (I think "Dark Forces" does). But the idea is to burn that stuff as audio CDs... I didn't create those covers for fun... well, not entirely ;) :p

guybrushthedwar
01-07-2004, 05:47 PM
Why!Of course, I really like your site on the whole but well I though that giving a honest opinion could matter...
hem, about the cover tere's been a misunderstanding, what I meant is that for example the pics on the back cover of MI4 isn't extracted from this game...
http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/images/mi4back.jpg
and that's a pity...
And it's exactly the same for MI3 :
http://soundtracks.mixnmojo.com/images/3back.jpg

Would it be cooler - and more appropriate- to put a capture from the cutscene instead ?

Laserschwert
01-07-2004, 06:42 PM
I see... well, I thought those were some very cool looking piratey pictures... so I took them. I had an old version of covers that had pictures from the game on it... but I like these more.

Still, it wouldn't be too much to upload alternate covers as well... be prepared! (Though again: "if I find time")

Laserschwert
01-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Just a little update on my site:

- I've added the "Knights of the Old Republic"-soundtrack, plus CD-covers.

- I've corrected the links to the "Grim Fandango"-soundtrack (the folks over at the Grim Fandango Network (http://www.grimfandango.net) re-uploaded the music at a much higher quality, which made the old links become obsolete)... I got many mails about this issue, and now it's fixed.

woodenstool
01-19-2004, 01:59 AM
Could you put on the Outlaws soundtrack too?

guybrushthedwar
01-19-2004, 05:39 AM
Very good jobeven if but links to the KotOR covers are dead .
Jeremy Soule has really brought something different for this game.. Bajakian did great jobs on others Starwars game but the KotOR composer has managed give a astonishing extension to the musical universe of the movies.

Laserschwert
01-19-2004, 08:08 AM
OK, cover-links are fixed.

As for Outlaws, I guess I'll put it online, since the music only comes with the game, and can't be bought separately.

Alien426
01-19-2004, 08:22 AM
Wrong. Look here (http://imuse.mixnmojo.com/soundtrack.shtml).

Jake
01-19-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeah, Outlaws' soundtrack was made available as a separate CD you could purchase alone, as well as the CD tracks that came with the game.

woodenstool
01-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Hey, I was just wondering, why doesn't any sites (Grim Fandango Network, Soundtracks, iMuse Island) have THE Grim Fandango theme? You know, the one that's incompletely played at the beginning? I remember when Highland Productions was still around, there was a midi file called "The Longest Story Ever" or something around those lines, and it was good, and 2:00+ minutes long.

Laserschwert
01-19-2004, 07:14 PM
I thought the soundtrack CD only came with a limited edition of the game... but obviously I was wrong.

But still, what do you guys think? Should I put it online or not?

As for that "Grim Fandango"-main theme... it wasn't featured on the official soundtrack... that's why none of the sites is offering it as part of it. But as soon as I have more time, I am going to do a "More Music from Grim Fandango"-soundtrack, with stuff ripped from the game. Then the main theme will probably be featured on there.

elTee
01-20-2004, 11:23 AM
The way I see it, LucasArts can only really moan at you if you're putting stuff up there that people would otherwise have to pay for - although you can still buy the outlaws soundtrack on Ebay occasionally, LucasArts themselves don't make any money from it. Besides, Grim Fandango.net (http://www.grimfandango.net) have the Grim Fandango soundtrack online and no-one's complained about that yet.

Laserschwert
01-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Yeah, that's the way I see it too... I just wasn't sure if that's a way to justify it. So I guess "Outlaws" will go up there, as well as "The Dig".

Laserschwert
01-27-2004, 10:11 PM
Little update: The CD-covers for the "Dark Forces"-soundtrack are up.

Lundquist
01-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Awesome, I love your covers:)

You know you don't have to put my name on the covers, I've noticed you haven't put your own name on the other covers, so it's really not necessary.

Laserschwert
01-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Well, Ken... it might not be "necessary", but you deserve it for sure. And maybe I'll add my name to the other covers too... someday. ;)

By the way, did you get my e-mail? (the one with the TIE- and X-Wing-MIDIs)

Lundquist
01-28-2004, 06:01 PM
Yes, I got your mail, I've been trying to get the ingame midis from X-wing but I couldn't for the love of god extract them, but now that you have done it (god knows how), I'll certainly do the X-Wing soundtrack as well.
I have finally pulled myself together to continue the Tie-fighter soundtrack, so it shouldn't take TOO long. The most time consuming is dividing the string patches into violins, violas, celli and basses.

Laserschwert
01-29-2004, 05:14 PM
A little letdown for you guys: A pure "Maniac Mansion" soundtrack won't happen. I stayed in contact with the guy who said he has the music from the game, but unfortunately it's only 3 tracks... that, plus Puffy64's remix, really isn't enough for a soundtrack. But I think I'll add the remix to the DOTT soundtrack (maybe together with the most requested track for "Dwayne"), and update the covers.

I guess if I can dig up more music, I'll do a "LucasFilm Classics"-soundtrack, with stuff like "Maniac Mansion", "Ballblazer", "Rescue on Fractalus" and so on.

But until then all other things get much higher priority. And there are still covers that I need... like "Loom" and "Force Commander".

Oh, and just yesterday I saw "The Dig" in a DVD-case in the store, and now I am thinking about doing DVD-covers for all (or at least MOST) LucasArts-games... I think I might host them on my site too. (there's a thread concerning the necessary "ridicously large cover scans")

@Lundquist:
I didn't rip the X-Wing soundtrack myself, I got them from MadMarty, a regular at the German site "Die Tentakelvilla". No idea though how he managed to get them out of the game.

woodenstool
01-30-2004, 04:17 AM
so what about the music? will there be anymore grim fandango tracks? or Outlaws? The CD covers are cool and everything, but it's the music that makes the CD, not the cover.

elTee
01-30-2004, 04:56 AM
Laserschwert: I think Spiffy is doing at least some of the DVD covers, perhaps you should contact him.

Regarding DOTT, I once made a "trailer" mp3 for it. I think you can find a low quality version on my site, if you ever want to use a higher quality version of that on a CD that would be cool. Its ok if you don't want to though, I can handle criticism ;)

daltysmilth
01-30-2004, 03:57 PM
How did you capture the mp3's from Emperor's Tomb? I would assume you need the PC version to do it. And I already have the XBox version.

Laserschwert
01-30-2004, 04:51 PM
@woodenstool:

Patience, my young Padawan. There is more music to come, like "Force Commander", "TIE Fighter", "Outlaws" and "The Dig". But I have a job, and am just doing this on the side, and just for fun. Don't worry... more music-updates are going to come.

@daltysmith:

You're just the man I was looking for (or one of those). You're right, I got the music from the PC-version. Conveniently it's stored on the game CD as MP3-files... so not much work to do here.

BUT: The big drawback of those files is the quality, because they were compressed with 96kbps at 22kHz, which isn't CD-quality. Rumours say, that the X-Box version has the soundtrack at a higher quality. Could you please check on that? I guess you can search the CD for MP3-files on your PC. Then just play them with WinAmp (or right-click them, and look at the details) to find out about the bitrate and stuff.

You might mail me about this at captain_solo@gmx.net

daltysmilth
01-31-2004, 04:41 AM
It might well be that there are MP3's of the music on the XBox version, but when I put the CD in the computer, all that happens is that Windows' Media Player pops up and correctly identifies it as an Xbox CD, and basically tells me that I'm an idiot for trying to play an XBox game in my PC. Does anyone know of any ways that I might be able to capture these MP3's if there are any ways to capture MP3's from XBox games? (Besides the obvious method of holding a tape recorder up to the speaker while I'm playing the game?)

Laserschwert
01-31-2004, 10:05 AM
Good question... anyone?

Actually I thought since the X-Box is based on Windows, it would be no problem. Does anybody know anything about this?

bgbennyboy
01-31-2004, 01:39 PM
I have the xbox emperors tomb mp3's, but I really wouldnt advocate putting them up on the soundtracks site. It seems a bit dodgy when you're taking the mp3 files from new-ish games like ET and putting them up. Meh, i duuno.

Laserschwert
01-31-2004, 01:44 PM
I don't encourage software piracy. But I think when it comes to music extracted from the games, it would be fair to either realease the music on official soundtrack-CDs, or offer it for download somewhere.

After all, LucasArts wants to sell their GAMES... which I don't prevent people from in any means.

By the way, here in Germany the game is on budget now for around 10 bucks... that officially ends it's "newishness". ;)

Now... are those X-Box MP3s of higher quality than just 96Kb at 22KHz?

The Tingler
01-31-2004, 05:45 PM
I don't encourage software piracy. But I think when it comes to music extracted from the games, it would be fair to either realease the music on official soundtrack-CDs

So you put the entire Grim Fandango CD soundtrack on the website (one of the few LucasArts soundtracks that's easy to get hold of) without adding any new tracks and keeping them in exactly the same order?
Wouldn't a GF soundtrack comprising all the tracks the CD doesn't have be better?

Also, daltysmith - what version of Windows do you have? If it's XP, wouldn't it be worth trying it with, say, 98 - before the Xbox?

daltysmilth
01-31-2004, 05:57 PM
But how do you capture mp3's from Xbox games? Is there some kind of program you have to use? Also, Laserschwert, the Emperor's Tomb mp3's that are currently up on the Soundtrack site, are they pretty much exactly the way you got them from the game cd? Or did you edit them together? Because it sounds like either you either edited them together or you hooked a tape recorder up to your sound output and just recorded the music as you were playing the game. If the tracks are edited together, I personally would prefer the individual tracks rather than the "several tracks edited together version." But that's just me, and I can't speak for everyone. That's not a complaint, I would rather have the "several tracks edited together" version than no version at all. And also, is the music you have posted all the music that you have access to? Because it's definitely not all the music from the game. And also, every time I've tried to go to Soundtrack site from any of the computers in my house in the past day, they all keep saying that they cannot find it. I know the problem has to be on my end, so does anyone know how to fix it?

elTee
01-31-2004, 08:43 PM
I still rip music from my console games the old fashioned way - stick a lead from the output on the console (usually SCART as component) and plug the audio lines into my line in on my PC. If you have a fairly decent soundcard (mine was new 5 years ago and still works like a dream) you can get some great rips. Its easier if the game has a "music test" option, like Super Smash Bros. Melee or the Rogue Leader games, but if not you can always turn the sound effects and dialogue volumes down in the options, then pause the game and record the music that way.

Laserschwert
01-31-2004, 11:57 PM
@TheTingler:

Yeah, I'm planning on adding a "More music from Grim Fandango"-soundtrack on the site... but back then, since I got many e-mails from people asking me to add the music from "Grim Fandango" to my site, I decided to take the easy road, and put links on my site to files which I knew were already hosted by the GrimFandangoNetwork. This way I could satisfy some people a little easier than taking the effort of creating an all-new Grim-soundtrack. Eventually I WILL take this effort, but right now I have only little time on my hand, so that I'll add other stuff first.

@daltysmith:

No, the music isn't edited together. After installing the PC-version, there's a music folder, which contains every bit of music from the game in form of MP3s. There are several big pieces amongst those files (the ones I used on the soundtrack you find on my site), and many very short fills and cues. I thought these short parts wouldn't really fit on a soundtrack, since they would interrupt the music all the time. But now with a slight chance of getting those files at a higher quality, I might edit a complete soundtrack together... but that still depends on this X-Box-ripping issue.

Couldn't you just browse the CD with the Windows Explorer? Maybe there's a "music"-folder on the CD, which contains the MP3s.

I don't know how the X-Box works... do you have to install games? Or do you play them directly from the CDs? Because in the PC-version of "Emperor's Tomb" the music-directory is only available on the hard drive AFTER installing the game. So maybe you would need access to the files on your X-Box hard drive...

But Benny already says he has the files, so probably you don't even have to do this.

Laserschwert
02-01-2004, 10:54 AM
After a little googling around the web, I found some fourm threads saying, that the X-Box version has the music stored as WMA-files... not MP3... so maybe you must search for the file extension WMA.

And obviously it's possible to replace the music files from the PC-version with these higher quality files... and the game would still work... just with better music!

Bushido_Blade
02-01-2004, 10:58 AM
I was really impressed with the effort you put into the site and was wondering if you were accepting any contributions. I don't know if you want the site to consist only of fan created stuff in the end or a mix of ripped/created. I have the original Dig soundtrack and could send some 320Kbs MP3 rips to you if you'd like. The cd's OOP and still selling for $30.00+ used on ebay so I'm sure other's would like it, but its your site. You can just drop me a line in this thread or email me.

Peace, Love, and Groooviness~~~
Bushido_Blade

Laserschwert
02-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the offer, but no need to send me the files, since I have the soundtrack-CD from "The Dig" myself (thanks to eBay).

I'll upload it soon.

daltysmilth
02-01-2004, 11:55 PM
I could find no sound files using the computer, mp3, wma, or otherwise. So either I'm doing something wrong, or the computer can't read the files. Seriously, there must be a program or something that I could download that would let me read the files. However, I do have some good news. If you have the Indiana Jones DVD's, you can have access to a track from Emperor's Tomb not available on the official site. It's called "Evil Tomb Action" and is a wma file. To find it, put one of the Indiana Jones discs in your DVD ROM drive, make sure you're connected to the internet, go to the Indianajones.com exclusive content, follow the Emperor's Tomb link, go to the music feature, and scroll to the bottom of the page.

Laserschwert
02-02-2004, 08:16 AM
Well, that's only partially good news.

That one files isn't enough, but I've noticed that the two free filse from the official "Emperor's Tomb"-page are at 44KHz too...

I hope Benny replies to my PM soon...

elTee
02-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Benny's back at uni, he has limited internet access now.

Laserschwert
02-02-2004, 06:15 PM
Damn it... so for now there'll be no higher quality files I guess. I found a ZIP-file containing all of those files through eDonkey... but I just don't get any sources for it.

daltysmilth
02-03-2004, 03:24 PM
I really liked the Knights of the Old Republic soundtrack. Good job on that. I really wish Lucasarts would release an official soundtrack to that. Actually, I wish Lucasarts would release official soundtracks to all of their classic games. With an actual orchestra playing the music. Wouldn't that be sweet to hear a live orchestra playing the Dark Forces theme, for instance? Or what about Secret of Monkey Island/Monkey Island 2 soundtrack where they re-arrange and re-record the music with actual musicians in the style of the CMI and EMI soundtracks? Still, the versions on your site are pretty darn good.

Alien426
02-04-2004, 05:09 AM
I hope they will release a Game Of The Year Edition (well, no doubt about that) with some proper gimmicks and a soundtrack CD.

Laserschwert
02-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Finally, another update to my site:

I replaced the "Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb" soundtrack with a new, high quality version. It's now a 2-CD set consisting of the music from the X-Box version of the game (which has much higher quality than the PC version).

Of course I've added covers for it too.

Enjoy!

daltysmilth
02-15-2004, 03:39 AM
Listen, I truly am sorry that I could not be more helpful with that. And I'm sorry if I was overly critical of your work. I do appreciate your site, and I know you are making every effort possible to make it the best site it can be. So thank you.

Laserschwert
02-15-2004, 10:39 AM
Don't worry... no offense taken. I appreciate your criticism, and I am happy that you at least tried to help me.

The "new" Emperor's Tomb soundtrack IS in fact edited together... at least partially. There were several cues that had alternative versions of it, which contained some parts that were the same in both versions... so I tried to edit all the parts that were different together into one piece. Plus I've cut together a closing medley, which wasn't in the game, but since all Indy-soundtracks (most soundtracks in general) have a medley from different themes as the end credits, I did it.

Laserschwert
02-23-2004, 02:03 PM
After a while of silence, some updates on my site:

- The OST (Original Soundtrack) from "The Dig"
- The music from "Force Commander"
- The soundtrack from "Outlaws"

Everything including covers, of course.

Jake
02-23-2004, 09:30 PM
You really need to get Peter McConnells soundtrack to Super Bombad Racing up on the site... its a little off beat from the rest of the stuff, but the soundtrack is pure comedy and is pretty good quality if youre interested in weird cartoon-style arrangements of Star Wars tunes.

woodenstool
02-26-2004, 05:37 AM
Alright! Outlaws! Thank you very much!

woodenstool
03-22-2004, 01:52 AM
Hey, would it be possible to get the music from Armed and Dangerous?

Laserschwert
03-22-2004, 06:06 AM
Well, I would rather jump off a bridge than buying that game, but sure, if someone rips the soundtrack for me...

I have been really slow with updates in the last time, but I promise I'll add new stuff very soon... right now I am preparing the pages for "Star Wars: Rogue Squadron", "Star Wars: Battle for Naboo", "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine", "Zak McKracken" and "Loom". I am yet waiting for the music from "Rogue Leader" and "Rebel Strike", which I'll add too...

I know, lots of "Star Wars" here, but what else is left of LucasArts?

The Tingler
03-22-2004, 11:56 AM
How do you have the Infernal Machine music? I thought that music was unobtainable? All the forumites at iMuse Island have been trying for ages!

Why would you want to do those last two Rogue Squadron games? Oh yeah, there's some original music there... answered my own question there.

Does Zak McKracken have much music?

ATMachine
03-22-2004, 01:24 PM
The version of Zak McKracken with the most music is the FM-Towns version, and that's quite rare. The other versions only have little music.

Loom for the FM-Towns also is a rarity, though it has lovely music, very near the talkie version's in quality.

Luckily, you can get Ogg files of both these games' tracks by going here, to Soundfont Island. They're in the Music Section. (http://s-island.mixnmojo.com)

(This is not a plug. I repeat, this is not a plug. ;) )

Laserschwert
03-22-2004, 02:57 PM
No, of course it's not a plug... ;)

At least not more than this thread is a plug to my site...

The "Infernal Machine"-soundtrack was ripped from the N64-version via a direct cable-connection to a PC. The N64-version has a music menu (which was very comfortable for getting all the music)... unfortunately there's only occasional music in "Infernal Machine". This means that - though it's around 56 Minutes of music - it's 137 (!!) files, most of them with a duration of around 10 seconds... I am not yet sure how to create a soundtrack out of THAT. I have thought about editing together several files, but most of the are jingles, that only work on their own.

The other idea is to simply put up all the files, and creating a cover without a track listing... so you can choose the tracks you like for yourself. But a CD with 137 tracks isn't very nice (I even think that regular CD-players only support a maximum of 99 tracks per CD).

Regarding Zak and Loom, yes, I will indeed use the music from the FM-Towns versions... and yes, I will link to SoundFontIsland, instead of reuploading the stuff to my site's webspace. (But I'll do covers and host them ALL BY MYSELF :P )

The Tingler
03-23-2004, 12:05 PM
Wow! That's quite inventive. It would be worth it just for the end credits. You could probably stand to remove some of cues, like the ones that are basically just one note.

On a different note, can just take the time to thank you for making your site look so professional and (important this) official?
While making a Kotor CD, I had to use the CD Burner in my Uni library. Unfortunately, the CD was screwed up, so I had to complain to the person in the library who sold it me. Before she would give me a replace, she had to know what I was doing... long story short (too late), I persuaded her that the MP3s were being officially released. Because your site looked like an official and professional LucasArts deal, she was convinced and I didn't get kicked out and/or fined.
Nice work!

Laserschwert
03-23-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the nice words... and glad to hear that my design kept you out of trouble :D

Murray the Chao
03-28-2004, 06:31 PM
You can get Rouge Leader at Elyon's server at Gamingforce.

I have a gamerip of Last Crusade.

Laserschwert
04-03-2004, 05:01 PM
Updates, AT LAST!!

I've added:

- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- Star Wars: Rogue Leader

Oh no! It's all Star Wars!! Then you'll probably like this:

COMING SOON... Star Wars: Rebel Strike

OK OK, now go there and enjoy it... as usual they all got CD-covers as well. So, go... GO!

The Tingler
04-03-2004, 05:14 PM
How about Bounty Hunter next? How much did Jeremy Soule compose for that (if the preview I read was accurate - I wouldn't buy that game if LucasArts' wellbeing depended on it)? Would it be worth a whole Soundtrack?

Laserschwert
04-03-2004, 08:43 PM
I would love to add "Bounty Hunter"... basically I dig all the stuff Soule made. Does anybody have the game AND managed to rip the music from it?

By they way, Murray the Chao, thanks for the tip with Elyon's FTP... unfortunately I didn't find anything else than "Rogue Leader" there.

The Tingler
04-04-2004, 01:47 PM
LucasArts' Bounty Hunter site (http://www.lucasarts.com/products/starwarsbountyhunter/downloads.html) has a few tracks on it, I know that much. Don't know the quality yet, though.

Also, are you still considering a Grim Fandango Complete Soundtrack, or at least a follow-up that contains some of the decent tracks not featured on the official CD? Lupe, Start Credits, Glottis' Theme, Carla's Life Story amongst others would make a pretty decent list.

Laserschwert
04-04-2004, 02:25 PM
Yeah, I am still thinking about that one... though I would have to sort through the music yet (It's all ripped, but I need to play the game again checking out the music, to bring it into chronology).

What about the music from "Armed & Dangerous"... you can listen to some music on the game's site, but you can't download it. And again, it wouldn't be enough... so someone has to rip it. (If I'm not mistaken there's an official soundtrack too.. coming with the collector's or so edition of the game).

The Tingler
04-05-2004, 12:27 PM
Maybe it's getting a Game of the Year Edition (s******s).

Laserschwert
04-09-2004, 11:53 PM
Another little update:

I've added the soundtrack from "Star Wars: Rebel Strike - Rogue Squadron III" to my site. Plus covers, as usual.

For the time being this will probably be the last "Star Wars"-update. At least until either someone manages to rip Jeremy Soule's music from "Star Wars: Bounty Hunter", or Mr. Simonsen finishes his "TIE Fighter" and/or "X-Wing" soundtracks.

Stuff to look forward to:

- Loom
- Zak McKracken
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

And maybe sometime in the future:

- More music from Grim Fandango
- Full Throttle
- Afterlife

After that there's not much left... is it? Suggestions are very welcome.

Udvarnoky
04-10-2004, 12:20 AM
So, Maniac Mansion is definitely not going to happen?

ATMachine
04-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Well, there's only one major theme in the Maniac Mansion game, and that wouldn't make for that great of a soundtrack ... unless Laserschwert is willing to make MP3s of the characters' themes heard in the Nintendo port as well.

warmgun
04-10-2004, 03:20 AM
I just wanted to say how great your site is. I've been waiting for a rip of Force Commander for some time.

One question though. After reading through this thread, I'm still not sure why certain songs from sam and max are missing. Such songs include edutainment, mole man blues, and the 4 snuckey's songs, just to name a few. I'd really like to have definitive soundtracks to these great lucasarts games and I think you've come the closest to making them in terms of the quality of the sound. I'd like to help in some way.

As for Maniac Mansion, while I can't comment on other versions, the NES version's music is quite easilly accessible. Most NES roms have had the raw data to their music ripped for quite some time now. Just check out http://www.zophar.net's massive music library to find Maniac Mansion's. If you want, I'd be glad to rip them to mp3 with Winamp for you.

Thanks again for your awesome work and here's to some more great music!

Lundquist
04-10-2004, 09:31 AM
I'd like to apologize for the extremely long delay in the Toe Fighter and X-wing soundtracks, I decided to start over because the brass ended up sounding utterly horrible, almost teethgrinding - so I'll be using different brass, but don't worry they will be completed.

ATMachine
04-10-2004, 10:52 AM
warmgun, www.zophar.net (http://www.zophar.net) doesn't seem to be working correctly, at least for me. It gives me some sort of "Zero Sided Reply" error message.

Oh well. Do you know any other sites which have the music tracks put into the Maniac Mansion Nintendo version?

Laserschwert
04-10-2004, 11:33 AM
Hey, Ken... don't worry, I can imagine how long arranging the files might take. It's the result that counts. By the way, I've read a post by you on the GamingForce-forums from January of this year... at least I think it's you... your name there is Aztaroth, right? Now, you're really thinking about re-doing the FOA soundtrack? I would be VERY excited about that...

Regarding "Maniac Mansion", yes, ATM is right... the main problem is that there is VERY little music in the game. And even with the tracks from the NES version (which I think I've got) there's merely 15 minutes of music altogether...

But thanks for the praise, Warmgun... always needing it :cool:

QueZTone
04-10-2004, 12:24 PM
i just wanna say, cool site and keep up the go(o)d work..

:cool:

The Tingler
04-10-2004, 12:38 PM
I'd like to apologize for the extremely long delay in the Toe Fighter and X-wing soundtracks

Wow, a Star Wars game I haven't played. Was it followed up by Starfinger? What about Jedi Knee? Foot Commander?

Sorry, I just wanted attention. :ewok:

Laserschwert
04-10-2004, 01:37 PM
:rofl:

Lundquist
04-10-2004, 01:53 PM
LOL! another title falls victim to fast typing:P

Yeah, I'm Aztaroth on GFF, though I don't visit there much anymore. I do plan to remake FOA again, though that may be some time in the future...

wow, there's been quite some added content since last I visited the site... downloading.

elTee
04-10-2004, 04:08 PM
I await the Loom soundtrack eagerly, but I have to say - a lot of the music in the Rogue Squadron series is directly from the Star Wars movies soundtracks. If you've used any of this on the soundtracks, I'd suggest you remove them. I can't download it for myself, cos I'm still on 56k, but I probably will when I get back to uni. The only reason I say this is that I'd hate to see the site get closed down because of a few Star Wars mp3's that are commercially available. Its not the same as downloading music that you can't buy anywhere, they'll see it as losing money.

If you didn't use any of the official music (I didn't see "into the trap", which is a good sign) then it doesn't matter :)

Laserschwert
04-10-2004, 04:27 PM
Thanks for the worries, Tones.

You're right, the "Rogue Squadron" series, as well as "Battle for Naboo", uses a lot of the original Star Wars soundtracks. But in the case of the MP3s I am offering this is only a very small fraction of them. There are several tracks that are found on the original soundtracks, but those are all redone with synthesizers, so they are not the same. Then there are some passages used from the original soundtrack recordings, interwoven with newly composed stuff (but all Star Wars games used this technique... even KotOR and FC did... and Kenneth used it on the main theme and on the end credits of his "Dark Forces" soundtrack). So, basically the soundtracks are as "clean" as possible, meaning they don't contain complete tracks from any official soundtracks.

And by the way, if they want to shut me down, they would have enough reasons... more than just a few Star Wars MP3s...

warmgun
04-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, you're right. The NES version of Maniac Mansion has 18 tracks of music, 2 of which are snippets of other songs such as Mario Bros. and Indiana Jones. I think they're catchy and deserving of a soundtrack. If you don't think there's enough music, why not go with that idea for a Lucasarts Classics page or something? How much music did Zak McKracken have? I can only recall the theme song.

Ooooh oooh oooh! How about Zombies Ate My Neighbors? I have a couple of tracks of that on my computer and its just swell. The same deal goes. SNES games have their music ripped on zophar. Really, we should go after all the games they've made, hehe. http://www.lucasarts.com/press/product.htm

http://www.zophar.net works for me. Keep trying I guess. In the mean time, I'll host the Maniac Mansion NSF (NES sound file) and a NSF plugin for winamp on my "webpage." http://www.owlnet.rice.edu/~warmgun/ Go to it. I think Lucasarts' early console history is rater interesting. Talk about original products.

Laserschwert
04-10-2004, 09:17 PM
Thanks for the files... obviously it's a llittle more music than I thought... though I am a little worried about the sound. Would anybody listen to the clicky-buzzy sound on his stereo? I mean, sure, the songs themselves are catchy and really cool... but the sound quality is outdated. And I am no musician, so re-mixing them like Puffy64 did is out of question... at least for me.

So, everybody... what do you think?

The Tingler
04-13-2004, 07:08 PM
Getting back to what you said about the complete Grim Fandango soundtrack, how would you be ripping the files if you did one? If it's just the no-frills way through Scumm Revisited, I'd be more than happy to put the tracks in chronological order for you. Least I could do.

Laserschwert
04-13-2004, 11:39 PM
Well, yes, it would be the ScummRevisited way... if you would sort them I would be VERY thankful... and this time you would get credited for sure :)

Murray the Chao
04-14-2004, 12:14 AM
I was downloadin' from Rouge Squadron and noticed that ye seem to be missing Beggar's Canyon.

The Tingler
04-14-2004, 11:04 AM
I'll e-mail when it's ready.
;)

The Tingler
04-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Well, it's ready and on it's way.
However, I had trouble locating the Year 2 piece of music entitled "Rusty Sans Vox". It's piano based, and the "sans Vox" (without voices) makes me think cutscene, but where I do not know.

EDIT: Well, it IS ready but it's not on it's way - Hotmail couldn't deliver it to your e-mail address. Is it okay?

CaliMonk
04-16-2004, 01:53 PM
GMX Drops all the traffic that comes from *yahoo* or *hotmail*, mostly because those account generate the most 'crap'.

I'd advice you to pick another 'from' adres :-)

(Not that you adressed this to me, i just use GMX as well)

The Tingler
04-16-2004, 05:38 PM
I've contacted Jan before via e-mail. And it seems to have worked the second time.

Have you got it, mate?

EDIT: Or, have you just got a .txt file with the words "MSN Hotmail - Attachment" written on it? :evanpiel:

Laserschwert
04-17-2004, 02:26 PM
No, I didn't get it... and somehow it didn't even end up in my spam-filter... maybe you could send it via multiple PMs?

CaliMonk
04-17-2004, 03:16 PM
No, I didn't get it... and somehow it didn't even end up in my spam-filter... maybe you could send it via multiple PMs?

GMX often just totally drops the messages you never receive them :)

The Tingler
04-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Unfortunately my German isn't proficient enough to translate the thousands of questions GMX threw at me, and Babel Fish didn't make much sense.

How did I get through to you before, then, Jan?
Would Freeserve work?
Unless you can think of another way?
If all else fails, I'll just print the whole damn thing here if I have to, or possibly on the pretty-much-deserted iMuse Island forum.
A possible way would be if you could quickly set up a discardable Hotmail or Yahoo address for me to send it to, if GMX is being picky.

Laserschwert
04-17-2004, 07:53 PM
Why don't you just post it here, right into this thread? A moderator might delete it afterwards... I think that's the fastest way.

guybrushthedwar
04-17-2004, 08:41 PM
To tingler, Rusty Sans Vox is the instrumental for The Rusty Anchor song performed by Glottis in Rubacava if you bring him a print of an anchor. I get the version with voices a while ago and can put it on th web if you need it.. quality is quite poor though.
Anyway, I've sorted all the music files by years and even rename the ones from the first year [ and a bit from second and third] .. if you're interested le me know.

warmgun
04-17-2004, 09:36 PM
When I was screwing around with Grim Fandango's internal files, I put together "This Little Light of Mine" from the character's dialogue. I think it should go into the soundtrack.

The Tingler
04-18-2004, 11:21 AM
Okay, I'll just print the whole damn thing here.
************************************************** **Jan,
Here's the Grim Fandango playlist, in chronological order as far as that's possible.
The only real issues are:
a) what to do with Year 0 (the credits). I believe that Start Credits should be Track 01, but should 'Smooth Hector' be here? That's why I've included it twice.
b) should the tracks on the Official Soundtrack be included? I've put a * by the tracks in any event. I advise you to use the versions you already have, since these versions have sound and voices over the top, and are sometimes even "musaked". I'm also not sure if 'Manny And Meche' appears in the game at any point, but if it doesn't remember to stick it in somewhere! Either after the 'Start Credits' or after the 'End Credits' would be be my vote.

I've written the number and track title first, as described in Scumm Revisited, but if a little more explanation is needed I will put in brackets, or just my own personal title (eg "Glottis" instead of "Glottis' Shop") or the Official Soundtrack Title.

Chris 'The Tingler' Capel

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Year0mus.lab

1400-Start Credits
1401-Smooth Hector (if you wish to include it here) *

Year1mus.lab

1001-Manny's Office *
1002-Mr. Frustration Man (Eva) *
1030-Garage
1031-Glottis' Shop (Glottis)
2010-Glottis OK
1022-Lobby (Department of Death Lobby)
1041-Festival Dry * (NOTE: You may just want to input the CD versions of Companeros and Ninth Heaven here instead of this track)
2001-Climb Rope (Climbing The Rope of Ties)
1010-Ledge
1009-Copal's Office (Don Copal) *
1060-Real World (The Land of the Living - may need editing!)
2020-Reap Bruno (Reaping Bruno)
1023-Packing Room
1008-Domino's Office (Domino) *
1020-Tube Room
1021-Brennis
1050-Headquarters (Lost Souls' Alliance) *
1011-Roof
2030-Ledgepeckers
1070-Stump Room
1071-Signpost Room (appears in the Start Credits theme)
2050-Glottis' Heart
1075-Spider's Eye
1076-Spider Room
2055-Slingshot Bone
1074-Bone Wagon *
1078-Tree Pump
2060-Glott Tree Fall
1072-Navigation
1080-Beaver Room Lobby
1081-Beaver Dam
1083-Beaver Room (Spraying The Beavers)
2070-Beaver Fly
2071-Beaver Sink
1084-Foggy Cactus
2080-Meeting Velasco (Velasco, or Talking Limbo) *
1085-Rubamat Exterior
1087-Blue Hector *

Year2mus.lab
1110-Cafe Ledge (She Sailed Away) *
1109-Cafe Exterior (Hi-Tone Fandango) *
1108-Casino Interior (Casino Calavera) *
1106-Glottis Noodle
1105-Glottis Piano
2140-Ooo Bonewagon (lacking voice, sadly)
1104-Lupe
1127-Limbo Dock
1128-Limbo Talk (Talking Limbo, if you want to put it in again) *
1129-Limbo Poem (Manny's Ode To The Moon - know what this is from?)
1122-Blue Exterior (Rubacava) *
1123-Blue Casket Inside (Blue Casket Bop) *
2180-Befriend Commies
1126-Hector Steps Out *
1126-Smooth Hector * (second appearance)
1130-Dry Dock
1131-Dry Dock Strike
1120-Elevator Station (This Elevator Is Slow) *
1140-Police Station
1141-Police Interior
1143-Morgue
1145-Bridge Blimp
1150-Track Betting Area
1153-Track Base
1154-Kitty Hall
1155-Sanspoof
1156-Kitty Stables
1160-High Roller Hall
2161-Raoul Appears *
1161-High Roller Lounge (High Roller) *
1163-Max's Office (Swanky Maximino) *
1146-LOL Security Ext
1147-LOL Security Int (Trouble With Carla) *
1149-Bomb (if you can do a bit of looping work, otherwise forget it)
1132-Lighthouse Exterior
1133-Lola's Last
1170-Extendo Bridge
1173-Scrimshaw Int (Scrimshaw) *
1174-Scrim Sleep (Drugging Seaman Naranja)
1112-Rusty Sans Vox? (that'll do fine here, I think)
1148-Carla's Life Story
1162-Glottis Gambling (Gambling Glottis!) *
2162-Raoul KO
2156-Glottis Drinks Wine
2157-Glottis No Wine
1167-Dillopede Elevator
2165-Fake Tix (Fake Tickets)
2141-Ooo Meche (I thought it'd be a nice end)

Year3mus.lab
2200-Year 3 Iris
1201-Lola Zapata (Lola Exterior)
1202-Inside Lola
2210-Hit Men
1204-Porthole
1210-Sunken Lola
1211-Pearl Crater Sub
1222-Exterior Airlock
1223-Factory Hub
1233-Ashtray Scary (Confronting The Truth)
1224-Foreman's Office (Los Angelitos) *
1233-Ashtray Room (Coaxing Meche) *
1236-Domino's Room (Domino's In Charge) *
1220-Miner's Room
1230-Vault Door
2230-Open Vault
1231-Outer Vault
1232-Inner Vault
2235-Dead Tix (Dead Tickets)
2240-Sprinkler
1235-Ashtray Pensive
1240-Conveyor Underwater
1241-Crane Intro
2250-Crane Track
1250-Upper Beach
1243-Anchor Room
1244-Glottis Hanging
1245-End of the World
1246-End of World, Later
1254-Crane Later
2255-Crane Fall
1252-Lower Beach, With Boat
1253-Lamancha Sub (Duelling With Domino)

Year4mus.lab
2300-Yr 4 Iris
1301-Temple Gate *
1303-Truck Depot
2301-Pop Bruno Casket
1305-Mayan Workshop
1304-Mayan Train Station
1306-Mayan Train Pad
1307-Mechanic's Kitchen
2325-Lumbago Lemonade
2327-Breath Mint
1310-Jello Bomb
2320-Jello Suspense
1320-New LSA Headquarters
1319-Florist Video
2330-Pigeon Fly
1321-LSA Sewers
1323-Sewer Maze
1324-Albinozod
1334-Albino Trap (bit dull - might not be worth it)
1326-Florist Shop Interior (might not be worth it either)
1327-Florist OK (The Enlightened Florist) *
2340-Coffee On Boys
1330-Lemans Lobby (Nuevo Marrow) *
2360-Chowchilla Bye (Chowchilla Charlie - this can also be after Fake Tix in Year 2)
1332-Hector's Foyer
1342-Neon Ledge
1351-Meadow
1353-Greenhouse Approach (The Greenhouse)
1352-Car Head (Salvador's Head)
2370-Salvador's Death
1350-Meadow Flowers
1355-Shootout
1354-Game Ending (Hector Sprouts)
2399-End Credits

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hope this helps! I don't know if you can get any of the movie music in there, too.
Also bear in mind that I've omitted a few tracks - various "ding" sounds and "da da"s for the most part.

Is that thorough enough for you?
;)

Laserschwert
04-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Yeah, that's absolutely enough... looks like "More music from Grim Fandango" is going to be a 2-disc set then.

I don't want to include the music from the OST on this, just as I did with "The Dig"... but I guess to fit it on 2 CDs I might have to leave some stuff out...

Well, I'll see what I can do.

Mafiozi
04-18-2004, 06:23 PM
Hey guys maybe u can pull soundtracks out of Loom???:)

Laserschwert
04-22-2004, 08:09 AM
Don't worry... Loom is coming.

If you want it right NOW, you should go to SoundFont Island (http://s-island.mixnmojo.com).

Mafiozi
04-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Hey..Great.Will it be remix like from ogg(mid) to mp3?or just an extracked music?:)

The Tingler
04-22-2004, 06:09 PM
Small note to a note I made (if you're sticking to the list as it is this doesn't matter) - I suggested that 2360-Chowchilla Bye (or Chowchilla Charlie's Cue) could go after Fake Tix in Year 2, but having played that little bit again, when Charlie confronts Manny the music is actually 1332-Hector's Foyer. 2360 appears when Charlie shows Manny the Fake Betting Stub Printer (after 1108 possibly).
If you're keeping it to Year 4, just ignore this.
I also should note that there are a few "creative decisions" made by me. For example, 1220-Miner's Room could come before or after 1222-Exterior Airlock, but I put it later because you don't NEED to go there until Chepito's there.

On another note (and game), could I make a small suggestion?
I don't know how easy it is to implement (not being a web designer myself), and it means nothing to people creating the full CD soundtracks like the site intends, but in case...
With the Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb soundtrack, I was wondering if you could possibly put some note (just a * would do) on the songs that have already appeared under a different name. For example, 'Shadow of Kong Tien' contains the entirety of 'The Kraken's Lair'.
I find myself skipping over the tracks I've already heard, so some people might like to leave them off altogether.
Just a thought. :amidala:

The Tingler
04-26-2004, 01:16 PM
Since everyone got the Rusty Sans Vox track 'cept me (I can't believe I didn't know about that! A SONG in Grim that I never knew existed!), I thought I'd ask this.

In the credits, Michael Land is credited for having written the 'Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe' theme. Having never played that game, I don't know what it sounds like. Where does it appear in Grim Fandango?

Also, would that be an idea for a new soundtrack? :)

Murray the Chao
04-30-2004, 10:27 PM
Laserschwert, did you get that file I sent you?

Also, I have uploaded my Indy 3 rip to RKLB's server at RPGamers.

The Tingler
05-04-2004, 10:53 AM
Hello?
All seems to have gone quiet.

Laserschwert
05-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Yeah, it's been quiet, but now stuff is happening again.

I've added two things:

- Grim Fandango - In-Game Soundtracks (thanks to Tingler's help)
- Loom (though my site basically offers covers, the soundtrack can be downloaded at Mix-n-Mojo's very own Soundfont Island (http://s-island.mixnmojo.com)).

The next things will be "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders" and "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine".

I hope Kenneth hasn't put the "TIE Fighter" soundtrack on hold...

Murray the Chao
05-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Don't forget to upload my Indy3 rip! Make sure that you mention that it is from the PC 256 color version as there was never a 256 color version for the Mac.

Laserschwert
05-27-2004, 06:16 PM
EDIT: Oops, haven't seen your other post... I haven't checked it out yet, can't login right now (too many users). I'll keep trying though.

EDIT 2: Where is it? I can't find it on that server...

I was thinking about adding my fmTowns-rip... that version has CD-audio tracks.

Oh, and as a side note, Kenneth just let me know that he's very close to finishing both the "X-Wing" and "TIE Fighter" soundtracks.

The Tingler
05-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Hooray, Jan's back! (Cheers) I was thinking you'd forgotten.

Nice going on Grim! Glad I could help at last.

Bit of a cop-out front cover, but frankly I'm not complaining. Great work.

One thing I've been meaning to ask: what do you use to make these covers? Photoshop? How (say, in the KOTOR cover) do you make the lettering change colour like that? I've been playing about with other game soundtracks (I'm quite proud of my Deus Ex: Invisible War soundtrack cover/back) and would like to improve my knowledge!

Can't wait for the Indy Infernal Machine one. Been waiting for it for a long time... since it was released, in fact. I remember the days when iMuse Island was a buzz of activity... sigh.

EDIT: Oh, I notice that you DID include the Official Soundtrack tracks too... so surely it's not so much an "Additional" soundtrack as a "Complete" one. Never mind, not important.

Laserschwert
05-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I am using Photoshop, and I guess you're talking about a color gradient inside a text-layer... well, simply double-click the layer in the layer-list to open the layer-style window. Then check the "gradient" setting in there (don't know the english terms, since I've got the German version).

I did include most of the Grim-OST tracks in the "additional soundtrack" (except for two or so tracks), because running time wasn't as long without them - something slightly over 80 minutes, so it JUST wouldn't have fit onto one CD - so I included them to make it worth a 2CD-set.

woodenstool
05-28-2004, 07:49 PM
Hey, you know the opening theme in the "Opening Credits" track? Which other tracks could that theme be found in?

freddie
05-28-2004, 09:16 PM
Do you have this?Originally posted by warmgun
When I was screwing around with Grim Fandango's internal files, I put together "This Little Light of Mine" from the character's dialogue. I think it should go into the soundtrack.

Laserschwert
05-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Yeah, I got it... but I don't think it fits the soundtrack. By the way, where does it occur in the game?

Snubs
05-28-2004, 11:43 PM
At the bottom of the sea right before you get to The Pearl. You got the guy with the glowing coral lamp whose name escapes me at the moment walking around in circles and all that.

Murray the Chao
05-29-2004, 03:07 PM
Don't forget the song when you look at the moon at the Rubacava docks!

The Tingler
05-29-2004, 03:22 PM
The Opening Theme (or Grim Fandango Theme) also appears, if you've got the official soundtrack, as Hi-Tone Fandango... which is one of the tracks that appears not to have made it onto the new soundtrack. It also appears in several cutscenes.

EDIT: Chepito. I keep on forgetting it too.

Murray the Chao
05-30-2004, 12:49 AM
I have uploaded my Indy3 rip.

Laserschwert
05-30-2004, 04:33 AM
There are a few problems with the rip. First of all it's all in FM-synthesis, so soundwise it's not really what I am looking for. Second, there are some odd speed-changes and skips inside the tracks themselves.

I think I'll stick to the fmTowns-music.

Murray the Chao
05-30-2004, 04:13 PM
Keep in mind that I made that rip in Virtual PC. Also, I don't find anything wrong with it.

woodenstool
06-01-2004, 03:27 AM
Hi-Tone Fandango is the opening theme? *Listens to check* Sweet onion rings! I would never have guessed! They sound so different, yet have the same theme. This is what Lucasarts does best!

The Tingler
06-01-2004, 10:17 AM
Correction: that's what Peter McConnell (and Clint Bajakian and Michael Land) does best - we don't like LucasArts round here no more, we don't.

woodenstool
06-02-2004, 02:05 AM
wow, you guys are surprisingly critical of remarks like this.

The Tingler
06-02-2004, 10:44 AM
Nah, just me. As long as you meant "LucasArts" in the past-tense, I can forgive you.

Oblivion Zeta
06-02-2004, 11:42 PM
We need a way to download whole soundtracks at once.

Alien426
06-03-2004, 02:29 AM
I agree, but for some reasons, I doubt we will get that.

You can help yourself with a D/L manager like FlashGet (http://www.amazesoft.com).

The Tingler
06-03-2004, 07:51 AM
A button that downloads every file instantly, but still keeps them as separate files? A Zip download, perhaps?

Still, I like it how it is. I've done a few 'mix n matches' instead of straight soundtracks with my favourite tracks.

Laserschwert
06-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Sorry if it's too inconvenient to download the individual files, but I would have to put up every soundtrack twice - in single files and in one zip-file.

But using download managers like GetRight or FlashGet will do the trick. GetRight for example adds a nice tool to the right-click-menu inside your browser, eloquently called "GetRight browser". This shows all the files in the current html-file and let's you select which ones to download. It takes only a few clicks from there on, selecting a directory and starting the download.

Or is there a way to get access to the contents of a zip file via java-script or some other fancy web-language? By this I would only have to upload the zip-files, and the user can choose whether to download the whole thing or individual files from it.

Oblivion Zeta
06-03-2004, 11:25 AM
I've got FlashGet but I still have no idea how to download multiple files. Never mind I'll just download the ones I want.

Laserschwert
07-17-2004, 06:37 PM
Finally another update...

I've added the music from "Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine" and "Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders" (the latter one just linking to SoundFont Island).

choobs
07-18-2004, 01:16 PM
I love this site! Any chance of getting the Full Throttle soundtrack someday? It's one of favorites.

Other than that minor complaint though, you've done an absolutely fantastic job!

Laserschwert
07-18-2004, 01:42 PM
Yes, "Full Throttle" is coming... don't worry.

The Tingler
07-19-2004, 10:42 AM
Well done on Indy Infernal at last - the one last Holy Grail of LucasArts music now available. Hooray!

:yeldance:

Murray the Chao
07-19-2004, 07:13 PM
I kinda agree. The game itself wasn't, mainly because FucasArts ruined it with their diddly-dumb patches! How could that major Ice Beast bug have made it into the game in the first place?!

I really loved the credit tune,especially the Russian part. The Russian theme was also used in Harpoon and Harpoon Classic and I have ripped it.

Alegis
07-20-2004, 09:13 AM
What else can I say than an awesome work on the site? It's great. Easy and full

genoism
07-24-2004, 03:21 AM
man nice site!

The Tingler
07-24-2004, 08:08 AM
Short and to the point.
I like that.

Himenu
08-16-2004, 04:38 PM
Great site, but one song is missing & that's really bad.
I speak of Rusty Anchor, the one Glottis sings.
I found it some time ago, but deleted it because the quality was crappy.
Would be really great if you could also upload this in a good quality! :)

Porky
08-19-2004, 08:39 PM
I tried making a music CD for the 1st disc of Escape from Monkey Island, but around 10 of files I tried to copy were corrupt, apparently. I use Windows Media Player, but should that really make any difference?

Oh, and great site.

Laserschwert
08-19-2004, 11:15 PM
Try playing the files with WinAmp (http://www.winamp.com) . I think that should work...

Porky
08-19-2004, 11:46 PM
I can play them, they just won't copy onto CD. Like I said.

Laserschwert
08-20-2004, 09:25 AM
Porky, could you tell me which tracks are the ones causing trouble?

I think I know what the problem is...

I've edited most of the files (fading them out in the end, removing unwanted ambient sounds at the beginning and stuff like that), so I re-compressed them to MP3 afterwards. But some files were fine the way the were on the MI4-CDs (so I didn't edit and re-compress them)... my guess is, that their compression isn't standard-MP3, and so they are causing trouble with some players.

So, I'm gonna re-compress an re-upload them.

Alien426
08-21-2004, 03:52 AM
> my guess is, that their compression isn't standard-MP3, and so they are causing trouble with some players.

I can confirm that.

Jake
09-07-2004, 01:55 PM
Full Throttle? :) I have a slightly suspicious desire to listen to Legacy by the Gone Jackals but I lost my "Bone to Pick" CD years ago...

Why is this practically the one "big" game missing from the site? :)

Laserschwert
09-07-2004, 02:31 PM
I've got that fancy new SynSONIQ-banner instead... isn't that enough?

(By the way, I am not getting payed by them, they just "asked" me to put it up, since I am using tracks that can be found on the "The Best of LucasArts Original Soundtracks"-CD, which they still sell... better than getting sued, I guess)

Regarding "Full Throttle"... I am already sorting through the ingame-music... which probably will be all I can put up, since "Bone to Pick" can still be bought RIGHT HERE (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000003QLV/qid=1094596175/sr=8-2/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i2_xgl15/002-9535670-7755256?v=glance&s=music&n=507846) ... and as much as I regret it (I fact I really hate it this time), I don't want to break with my "no stuff still available"-rule.

I know, I know, those songs belong on a real "Full Throttle"-soundtrack, but I didn't make the rule... well, OK, I made it, but I won't break it... I guess. I just don't want the site to get shut down, that's all.

Jake
09-07-2004, 02:56 PM
Instead of paying $15, I think I will go digging around in my old closet at my parents house next time I'm there.

Cool that you're putting up the McConnell score bits though.

Laserschwert
09-07-2004, 03:10 PM
Maybe you didn't see it: someone there sells his CD for about 6 bucks...

freddie
09-07-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Jake
Instead of paying $15, I think I will go digging around in my old closet at my parents house next time I'm there. Find my Grim Fandango Soundtrack and Manny figure while you're in there <not holding breath>.

Udvarnoky
09-07-2004, 05:50 PM
OK, I know I've suggested this before, but let me whine one more time: I really think a Maniac Mansion soundtrack should be considered.

The main reason it was refused was lack of music tracks, but think of it. For the NES version you've got seven songs for each of the kids, you've got the Edison theme, the Mark Eeter theme, the Wink Smiley theme, Syd/Razor's piano song, Green Tentacle's demo tape, and that weird unused track.

For the computer versions you have a different song for the Syd/Razor piano music as well as GT's demo tape.

Then there's the theme song. The NES version has a "reprisal" of it, and the main theme is played differently enough in all the versions so more than one rendition could probably be made.

There. I've made my case. Now I'll shut up.

Tom Resnick
09-08-2004, 06:43 PM
I just found this site, and I just about cried. I'm SO happy I found this.

This is absolutely fantastic.

I'm a big game soundtrack fan, and I've always felt LucasArts should commercially release some of this material. I'd buy it.

As it is, this is beyond great. Thanks so much for putting this together.

daltysmilth
09-20-2004, 10:13 PM
While this isn't directly related to the site, I thought people might be interested. I'm working on putting together what I call a "Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition" soundtrack CD, to use in lieu of the Monkey Island Madness CD-ROM when you play SOMI using SCUMMvm or Quick & Easy. It will combine the CD tracks from the aforementioned Monkey Island Madness CD with music from the Curse of Monkey Island and Escape from Monkey Island soundtracks. In other words, instead of using, say, the Voodoo theme as heard on the Monkey Island Madness CD, this CD would use the Voodoo theme as heard in Curse of Monkey Island. Of course, I'm not just replacing the old music with the newer music, I'm also editing the tracks together. The opening credits theme, for instance, will be edited together from the opening credits theme from the Monkey Island Madness CD, the Opening theme from Escape from Monkey Island, and the opening credits theme from Curse of Monkey Island. And Stan's theme from SOMI will be replaced from Peter McConnell's Stan theme as heard in EMI.

However, I intend to leave a good portion of the music alone. The Love theme and the End credits theme, as well as both of the LeChuck cutscene cues. (The little "stinger" version of LeChuck's Theme that occurs at the end of the closing credits, I plan to replace with the abbreviated version of the Monkey Island theme from the end of EMI.) For that matter, all of the cutscene cues I'll leave alone.

Now you may ask, why do I do this? Why do I tamper with perfection? And the only answer I can give you is this, I have too much time on my hands and I thought it would be an interesting challenge.

Anyway, Jan, if you're interested in putting my soundtrack up, I could see about uploading you the songs as mp3's. If not, it's cool.

Laserschwert
09-21-2004, 03:47 AM
Well, it doesn't really fit my site, since it's a "soundtrack only" site. But I guess the ScummBar would host them, since they're hosting the Amiga-music-replacement for the Madness-CD as well.

ramy
09-21-2004, 03:53 AM
the soundtrack site is one of my favorite, and you've got a huge collection now. I was just wondering if you were going to put the original Tie Fighter soundtrack up there, or if you even have some good versions from the original game. I posted some midi's on Imuse Island eons ago, but I've been hoping for some better versions.

Lundquist
09-21-2004, 10:51 AM
He's been waiting (quite patiently might I add) for me to do X-Wing and Tie-Fighter for the site, however, I'm afraid I won't be able to do it in the forseeable future; some time ago I had some minor surgery, that I recovered from rather quick, but it seems that I now need some more (and bigger) surgery, and I don't know how long it'll take for me to recover from it.
So, maybe it would be best if someone else made the soundtracks.

Jake
09-21-2004, 01:28 PM
(By the way, I am not getting payed by them, they just "asked" me to put it up, since I am using tracks that can be found on the "The Best of LucasArts Original Soundtracks"-CD, which they still sell... better than getting sued, I guess)

Come to think of it, I know another company (http://www.lucasarts.com/companystore/misc/cd.htm) that still sells that soundtrack... :)

Laserschwert
09-21-2004, 02:19 PM
@Kenneth: Don't worry... check your mail.

@Jake: Yeah, but they still haven't contacted me... yet...

freddie
09-21-2004, 02:21 PM
@Kenneth: Don't worry... check your mail.

@Jake: Yeah, but they still haven't contacted me... yet... I'm wondering why is it ok to pirate this music cd?

Jake
09-22-2004, 01:36 PM
I don't think its okay. I have a completely unrelated reason for mentioning that LucasArts sells something he's giving away.

The Tingler
09-23-2004, 07:56 AM
Meh.

The actual CD isn't pirated on LAS, just bits of it - bits which are still available from the actual games themselves, of which we still have legitimate copies of, right? (RIGHT? :bdroid1: )

widkidone
10-04-2004, 11:55 AM
Will there be a Star Wars Battlefront section as well in the future? :atat:

Alien426
10-04-2004, 12:36 PM
Isn't that just original Star Wars music?

Laserschwert
10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
Yeah, I guess the game just uses the original soundtracks...

It's strange: People keep asking me for soundtracks like "Rebel Assault", the "Jedi Knight" series or several "Phantom Menace" games... they all just use the movie soundtracks.

I should put an FAQ on my site...

Regarding the "pirating" issue, the music I put up is all either taken from CDs that aren't available anymore, or ripped directly from the games. Unfortunately some of these cues can still be found on the "Best of LucasArts Soundtracks"-CD (some of them in different versions though). In fact this does make me feel a little better about it, though still it isn't legal at all. It's unnecessary to start a discussion about something that clear.

Still, without trying to sound like a martyr, I feel that it's some kind of "evidence of incapacity" on behalf of LucasArts, that the fans have to do their job. I mean, is it just me, or is there more support of the fanbase offered by other companies? Without the need to look for an example, my page fits perfectly here: These soundtracks are worth being made public OFFICIALLY... either for purchase (I'd be GLAD to buy them) or in the form of downloads, if the demand isn't strong enough to justify producing CDs.

BUT, I might be wrong here, because LucasArts hasn't yet taken any actions to shut my site down. Maybe they don't know about it (though I doubt that), or they simply don't care... the latter one leaving me double-minded - because it's sad in one way, but great in another way.

EDIT:
Now they have.

Though not entirely. They asked my to take down all "Star Wars" and "Indiana Jones" related content, since the copyrights to these soundtracks do not lie with LucasArts. (I guess Fox and Paramount have a say here as well). Maybe even Factor5 (the "Rogue Squadron" series) and Bioware ("Knights of the Old Republic") had some complaints.

Sorry.

ramy
10-05-2004, 02:57 AM
I think it is very interesting to note that they only asked you to take down Starwars and Indiana Jones. You did say that this could be due to other companies other than LucasArts and I'd like to hope so. But I don't really see what they have to lose by having Dark Forces and Fate of Atlantis on your site. Honestly I don't see who would be losing money on something like this, even if it's an ownership issue. Oh well.

:max:

Lundquist
10-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Agreed. I could understand it if the soundtracks that were asked to be taken down contained already published music like 'Star Wars' which is owned by Bantha Music I think.
I wouldn't be surprised if the department that send you the mail didn't know enough about the music in all the games to know they include original music, and that they (the department) just assume it's all taken directly from the movie soundtracks.

Laserschwert
10-05-2004, 05:58 AM
Don't worry, I am trying to perform as much damage control as possible, which includes letting the soundtracks which were originally done in MIDI-format stay on the site (which includes your stuff, Ken... by the way, how's it going?).

The Tingler
10-05-2004, 07:22 AM
I think that they're just referring to stuff available on soundtracks, i.e. Indiana Jones theme, Star Wars theme. Original music will probably be okay... I don't really want to see Emperor's Tomb or Knights of the Old Republic go down... but certainly not Infernal Machine, I haven't done that one yet and that's the Holy Grail of LucasArts Music!

Laserschwert
10-05-2004, 07:27 AM
It's pretty clear what they mean by "both the Star Wars and Indiana Jones content needs to come down"... that's what they wrote, that's what they mean.

Jake
10-05-2004, 07:58 AM
I think it's actually a John Williams thing. LucasArts couldn't put out a soundtrack to Emperor's Tomb without paying a zillion dollars because it's derived from a work by John Williams. I suspect that's the same or similar reasoning at work here.

Laserschwert
10-05-2004, 08:06 AM
But it's not an official site... so the basic question would be, why would LucasArts care? Why would the copyright holder contact LucasArts, instead of me?

Lundquist
10-05-2004, 10:59 AM
That's a very valid question - one that I can't figure out an answer to either.
I wonder what the answer would be if you asked them? - Though it often seems that LEC has nonsense autoresponses lying around when you ask them questions.

I wonder if it is a John Williams thing? That would also mean that he would have rights to the JP3 score over Don Davis who actually wrote the score (but with included JW themes). Does that seem viable?

P.S. Told you I'd be up and running in no time;)

Laserschwert
10-05-2004, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by Lundquist Told you I'd be up and running in no time;)

Oh, in this case: BACK TO WORK!! :mad:

;)

ramy
10-05-2004, 01:02 PM
As you said, and I agree, those that asked you to take the SW and IJ content off the site probably didn't know the difference between the John Williams score and original game midi music.

To them it may seem like all the same music, but I really don't think it is. Maybe if they know the difference between the original score music, and the original game midi music you'd be able to get those great redone midis back up.

Anyone can buy the original score music from a music store, but you can't really find redone game midi music.

daltysmilth
10-05-2004, 01:59 PM
That sucks. I was in the middle of downloading Infernal Machine. I would have had it completely downloaded in one night if not for my dastardly 56k connection. Man.

I wish more composers would follow Bill Brown's example and put samples of their stuff on their own websites. (Bill Brown is the composer of the Rainbow Six series and virtually every Tom Clancy game, in case you didn't know.)

I guess it's encouraging that they didn't make you take down the Lucasarts-owned soundtracks, though.

As to the speculation over John Williams' involvement, I don't know how much control the composer has over who owns their music. On the Simpsons Season 3 DVD, they said in order to get permission to use the Indiana Jones music for "Bart's Friend Falls In Love", they had to contact Steven Spielberg. So I guess he owns those rights, or owned them however many years ago that episode was made. Who owns them now? Who knows?

Laserschwert
10-05-2004, 02:01 PM
I am still waiting for the LucasArts public relations department to get back on me on this topic.

JBRAA
10-05-2004, 04:42 PM
Can you post what games you removed? So I can grieve to what soundtracks I missed out on downloading. Kotor, Dark Forces, FOA, Tomb, and ....

Laserschwert
10-05-2004, 05:50 PM
- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine
- Indiana Jones and the Emperor's Tomb
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
- Star Wars: Force Commander
- Star Wars: Battle for Naboo
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II - Rogue Leader
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III - Rebel Strike
- Star Wars: Dark Forces

Jake
10-05-2004, 09:34 PM
I think the rights to the music LucasArts requested be taken down are a lot more complicated legally than you guys think. I don't quite understand why some of you are acting like you know everything.

I doubt LucasArts is somehow confused. Like I said, they couldn't put out a soundtrack to the Emperor's Tomb at least in part because Williams doesnt want game music or things like that based on his work being released outside of the game or whatever. Its apparently a stipulation of using things derived from his material... but that's just one random example that I heard somewhere.

I'm sure there are a lot of other reasons that the things immediately asked down were the ones based on Lucas film properties and not LucasArts games properties.

Taking random guesses at the problem and then arriving at the conclusion that "LucasArts is probably confused" is really ridiculous.

Originally posted by daltysmilth
As to the speculation over John Williams' involvement, I don't know how much control the composer has over who owns their music.

Good lord. I didn't mean to imply that Williams was personally involved in this or something if that's your implication.

What I was implying is that the music for the original games, like Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island, LucasArts 100% owns all the rights to those. There are no licensing issues with them whatsoever. However, the games that are based off of the Star Wars or Indy licenses, LucasArts games only has some control over them, especially assets like the musical score.

Even though LucasArts is closely related to LucasFilm, they still have to license the rights to some things, and my guess is that the musical score is one of them.

Who knows. Maybe in the future they will request Jan takes down all the soundtracks. That would suck and be a bit of a stupid move on their part, but it's within their legal rights.

I think its very likely that the reason they immediately asked for the SW and Indy stuff to go down is because they don't have any control over whether or not that stuff can stay there. They don't want to have to tangle with the rightful owners (be it George, John Williams, Fox, whoever) coming and knocking on their door about why music that they licensed is randomly appearing for download online.

I don't know for sure if that's what's going on, but to me that sounds far more real than "I bet they got confused."

QueZTone
10-06-2004, 07:51 AM
They don't want to have to tangle with the rightful owners (be it George, John Williams, Fox, whoever) coming and knocking on their door about why music that they licensed is randomly appearing for download online.
[/B]

let those rightful owners come to Laeschwart. Why should lucasarts feel and be held responsible?

MrManager
10-06-2004, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by QueZTone
let those rightful owners come to Laeschwart. Why should lucasarts feel and be held responsible?

Because the music is ripped from their products perhaps? ¬

freddie
10-06-2004, 08:06 AM
If you do not do what LucasArts asks you to do, then perhaps next they ask you to remove all of the content that they do hold the copyright to.

Alien426
10-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Even though LucasArts is closely related to LucasFilm, they still have to license the rights to some things, and my guess is that the musical score is one of them.
I agree. A lot of people think "Hey LucasArts, Lucasfilm, Industrial Light & Magic, Skywalker Sound and so on (http://www.lucasfilm.com/divisions/) are all the same. They all belong to George Lucas. So why do they pretend there are differences?". But that's not how it is. The divisions have to be financially successful individually or else might get shut down. If person one is employed at LucasArts and does some work for ILM, there will be an invoice from LucasArts to ILM.

Laserschwert
10-06-2004, 08:36 AM
Altogether I think this time LucasArts isn't the bad guy... I guess it would've run much less smoothly for me, if the holder of the copyrights would've contacted me directly. I think the fact that this gets handled through LucasArts spares me some serious legal trouble.

Again: LucasArts didn't ask me to take down THEIR stuff.

The Tingler
10-06-2004, 09:41 AM
I suppose... at least the site's still up.

Lundquist
10-07-2004, 05:10 AM
I personally find it odd that LEC asked for ALL of the star wars and Indy music to be taken down, I mean, the DF soundtrack I made is also up on the DF mod for JA website, and they've never been asked to take it down - and LEC knows about that mod and the site so...

lagagaffe
10-07-2004, 07:23 AM
Will you add the Full Throttle Soundtracks or anything else ?

Laserschwert
10-07-2004, 08:26 AM
Yeah, Full Throttle will be added eventually. But after that there's not much more left to add.

(@Udvarnoky: Shhht! ;) )

daltysmilth
10-07-2004, 09:13 AM
Just out of curiosity, when did Lucasarts first contact you about removing the soundtracks?

Laserschwert
10-07-2004, 11:53 AM
A few days ago.

Actually Jake contacted me about two weeks ago, because Ronda Scott from LucasArts' public relations department has talked to him about several things, and one of them was my site. Basically Jake prepared me, because Ronda said, that she was going to mail me about it.

And so she did.

ramy
10-07-2004, 12:39 PM
I think we should be thankful to LucasArts that they allow THEIR content on the web, and it's not their fault that they asked you to do what you had to do.

daltysmilth
10-07-2004, 10:38 PM
WARNING- LENGTHY, RAMBLING POST- FEEL FREE TO SKIP

Well, I'm sure Lucasarts is doing more than they have to. I mean, they would be completely in their right to ask you to take down all the files, not just the Star Wars and Indiana Jones ones. Or Lucasarts could have just contacted the copyright holders, and they might not have been as reasonable. I mean, just look at the recent lawsuits against websites that just had the lyrics of songs. I know the law is the law, but it seems to me that your site wasn't much of a financial threat to John Williams or anyone he's affiliated with. It's not like being able to download the Dark Forces soundtrack for free on your site is going to affect the sales of, say, the rerelease of the Star Wars Special Edition soundtracks. I know that's nothing to do with copyrights, but in all humility, I think it's a good point I just thought I'd point that out.

I kind of wish maybe Lucasarts had said something like "have all those Star Wars and Indiana Jones files down in two weeks" or something like that. Still, I suppose that would have been less friendly than explaining that they don't own the copyrights and that it would be in your best interest to take down all the stuff they don't own the copyright to.

Another thing, I don't quite understand why you can create a midi file that's a note for note transcription of something composed by someone else and it's okay, but if you make an mp3 from that midi, you're violating the copyright? Shouldn't it work both ways? Shouldn't all the sites that have Star Wars or Indiana Jones midi files be force to take those files down? (I'm not saying I want this to happen, I'm just saying there seems to be a double standard.) Does any of what I'm saying make any sense?

Laserschwert
10-08-2004, 08:37 AM
As far as I know MIDIs of copyright protected material break the same law as MP3s.

But I asked Ronda about it... I hope that she'll answer to my many questions.

Kraag
10-10-2004, 06:48 AM
Honnestly I think it's too bad that you had to remove StarWars and Indy musics.
And I think I'm not the only one to think that ;)

But I can understand that; after all musics of these games are pretty similar to music CDs that are still being sold so...

I just hope that some arrangement can be found with copyright holders if you are trying to find an arrangement. (Yeah, I just re-finished Indy4 and I have to say that I'd love being able to listen to these musics :p)

In any case, I think LucasArts is pretty nice to allow the other MP3s: they could have asked for the site to be shut down.

And I want to thank you for the site, too: it's sooo great to listen to these musics again and this time in a pretty high quality :)

Samuel Dravis
10-11-2004, 07:54 AM
Thanks for putting them up; I enjoyed listening to them. :)

Seby007
10-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Hi! Sorry I am not very good in Englisch, so I haven't read the whole thread. But I have a small wish: I have the music itself, but I haven't the nice cover! Without songs I believed thats allowed to give the covers free?!
thanks

mageofthesands
10-12-2004, 05:08 PM
Yeah, Full Throttle will be added eventually. But after that there's not much more left to add.

Armed & Dangerous
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Gladius
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Afterlife
Mortimer and the Riddles of the Medallion
RTX Red Rock
Ballblazer Champions
Herc's Adventures
Wrath Unleashed
Maniac Mansion
Finished Zak McKracken

Options are limited, but there are still games out there not Star Wars. Might not be the best music, but it's there.

Oh yeah, love the site. Shame about the lose of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Liked that music.

Alien426
10-12-2004, 10:13 PM
SWON and RTX would be part of the games that walk the line. They have official soundtracks (2 CDs in SWON's case) and it would be so-so legitimate at best to publish their music on the net.

If someone could get their hands on Armed & Dangerous' music, now that would be cool! It might lead to more difficulty, since the game is only published not developed by LucasArts. Don't know if it isn't Planet Moon, who own the rights to the music.

JBRAA
10-13-2004, 04:37 AM
Originally posted by Alien426
If someone could get their hands on Armed & Dangerous' music, now that would be cool! It might lead to more difficulty, since the game is only published not developed by LucasArts. Don't know if it isn't Planet Moon, who own the rights to the music.

Do you mean music as in any kind of music from the game, or a whole game soundtrack? =) If 10 songs will be fine, you know where to look. http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/music.shtml The Official site has about 6 songs in its internal flash music player, and Planet Moon gave "Planet Moon Central" 6 songs as promotion in a 176 MB zip file with about 6 songs in wav format. You can try to download it here (the javascript might not work with your firewall or something): http://www.3ddownloads.com/planetmooncentral/AD/music_story_art/AnD_music.zip Unfortunally there is dataerrors in two of the files. And yeah, I agree a 30 track (just guessing) game soundtrack would be cool.

Alien426
10-13-2004, 06:49 AM
Holy cripes! There's music from Psychonauts!!

elTee
10-13-2004, 09:57 AM
Mojo's had three mp3's from Psychonauts ever since they returned from the downtime, with that Peter McConnel interview. I can't listen to them now cos they're on my external HD, but as far as I remember they're very DOTT.

daltysmilth
10-13-2004, 05:31 PM
What about a complete or at least expanded Sam & Max Hit the Road soundtrack? I'd go for that. Or how about soundtracks from Lucasarts/Totally Games' other WWII flight sim games? I'd be interested to hear the music from Secret Weapons of the Luftwafte, for instance.

And in case you thought I was done whining about the Star Wars/Indiana Jones music, is there any way you could contact the copyright holders and work out some kind of deal? Perhaps if you offered only to put up a limited number of the soundtracks, or only putting up a limited number of the tracks, or something. In the meantime, perhaps we could all get an online petition going. Just a thought.

Also, I suppose there's no chance of getting an X-Wing or Tie Fighter Soundtrack now, is there?

JBRAA
10-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by daltysmilth
What about a complete or at least expanded Sam & Max Hit the Road soundtrack?

Zaarin from http://s-island.mixnmojo.com has a big Sam & Max soundtrack. 45 or 50 songs I think. It is in Ogg format. Just letting you know..

Laserschwert
10-14-2004, 02:24 AM
Regarding Sam & Max: Yeah, get the one from SoundFontIsland... it's great. I have already started doing an extended one myself, using Zaarins MIDIs.

Both the "X-Wing" and "TIE Fighter" soundtracks are still in the making. Kenneth is working on them for quite a while now, and he keeps improving them more and more. I guess I can't host them on my site now, but since his "Dark Forces" is still available on the "Dark Forces MOD for JKA"-page, I guess his new ones might get hosted there as well. Don't ask me how long it'll take though... he's having some "issues" right now.

Concerning that copyright thing, I don't think contacting the right owners would change anything. And if we would be starting a petition, it shouldn't be about my site being allowed to host the music, but making the soundtracks OFFICIALLY available... either as purchasable CDs (I would definitely buy them), or as downloads on the official page. And I mean COMPLETE soundtracks... not a handful of tracks, as they're doing it right now with a few games.

And the problem with the older LucasFilmGames / LucasArts games is that they had either very little music, or very low quality files. I have installed "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" recently, and I managed to run it with DosBox. The music does work, but it's veeeery little, and the quality is... modest. Somebody would have to redo the themes... and I am no musician, even if I have some experience in MIDI-sequencing.

lagagaffe
10-14-2004, 11:14 AM
Personnally, I was disapointed to notice that the music of the man who wants to commit a suicide in DOTT is missing of the soundtracks (it's my favorite !). But it's fabulous at all ! (thank you one more time !)

JBRAA
10-14-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by lagagaffe
Personnally, I was disapointed to notice that the music of the man who wants to commit a suicide in DOTT is missing of the soundtracks (it's my favorite !). But it's fabulous at all ! (thank you one more time !)

Isn't that song, the same as one of the four Snuckeys themes? =)

Laserschwert
10-15-2004, 03:13 AM
Yep, Dwayne's theme from "Day of the Tentacle" is one of the Snuckey themes.

Unfortunately the DOTT soundtrack is already maxed out... almost 79 minutes... Dwayne's theme just doesn't fit on there anymore (and I don't want to lose any of the other themes). But as I said, I am going to do the extended Sam & Max soundtrack, so the theme will be on that one.

lagagaffe
10-15-2004, 07:11 AM
Originally posted by JBRAA
Isn't that song, the same as one of the four Snuckeys themes? =)

You're right ! ;)

And very nice for the Sam & Max soundtracks ! Your site is really my favorite !!! :D

Laserschwert
10-15-2004, 09:47 AM
It's not only YOUR favourite site... it's LucasArts' as well!

Arrgh!

What bothers me most is that there was never something like a "thank you" from any LucasArts side... I mean, all I ask for is something like "Hey, we really like your site... it's great to see the fans getting inspired by our work. Unfortunately you can't have some of that music up, sorry." That would have been OK... that would sound genuinely nice.

But NOOOO... it has to be ****ing robot talk... "Comply, or we'll have to terminate you."

Yeah, I love LucasArts.

Samuel Dravis
10-15-2004, 09:54 AM
But NOOOO... it has to be ****ing robot talk... "Comply, or we'll have to terminate you."

Yeah, I love LucasArts. Hey, lawyerspeak sounds the same whoever emits it. ;) I like your site though. And to think, I was wondering how to get the tracks out of FOCOM almost ever since I bought it... :D

masterdebator
10-15-2004, 10:13 AM
Hello, I am a noobie to the Lucas Forums webring, but I am NO noobie to the Monkey Island series. I really love the MI2 soundtracks, they are my favorite. Now, I love the fact that the tracks are revamped, so-to-speak from the originals, well since the original sound bytes were MIDI, and since when you rip them, they are in tiny pieces, I want to give you major props for compiling, or finding the completed versions, and putting them all in one place. I also noticed that the SMI tracks, are differant than what I have. I have the original CD version, and the Monkey Madness, and they both have the same tracks, but on the site, I didn't notice them. Are they the same as the Amigas? Also, I love the high quality MP3's, but I have dial-up, and it takes about ten minutes to download one song, will this be differant in the future, like I was reading the forum, and there was a forementioned ZIP file archive coming soon(maybe) and so I was just wanting to know when this will be up. Thank you SO much for updating my daydreams that I've been having since 1993.

--MD

PS, I love the artwork, especially the cd covers, you could put them in the ZIP also.

JBRAA
10-15-2004, 11:40 AM
What bothers me most is that there was never something like a "thank you" from any LucasArts side... I mean, all I ask for is something like "Hey, we really like your site... it's great to see the fans getting inspired by our work. Unfortunately you can't have some of that music up, sorry." That would have been OK... that would sound genuinely nice.

Dude. You are the ****ing best webmaster ever. The best music LucasArts fan since Serge/Telarium/Luc Gilbertz (LGH) work on the incredible midis and info. LucasArts social life is like a ****ing retarded 8 year old hiding in its closet playing with star wars figures, not haveing a CLUE what to do with its fans. Get a ****ing BRAIN UPGRADE LEC. Now I've been harsh enough.

Laserschwert
10-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by masterdebator
I also noticed that the SMI tracks, are differant than what I have. I have the original CD version, and the Monkey Madness, and they both have the same tracks, but on the site, I didn't notice them.

That's strange, since, as far as I know, those are the tracks from the MI CD-version... not the Amiga-version.

Originally posted by masterdebator
... and there was a forementioned ZIP file archive coming soon(maybe) and so I was just wanting to know when this will be up.

Since this would require me to put each soundtrack up twice, I don't think I'll do that. After all, JUST GET A DOWNLOAD MANAGER... makes it a lot easier.

Regarding that legal talk, well, I finally got a reply from Ronda Scott:

Ronda Scott - LucasArts Public Relations
We have a relationship with a company who has the rights to publish our soundtracks. It is, from what I understand, though I am no lawyer, the responsibility of LucasArts to protect this company's interests. I believe they contacted our legal department to see if we were aware of your site.

For most of the music created specifically for LucasArts, you are probably right, we own those rights. But if we've signed a deal with someone to be the distributor for that music, we have to protect that relationship.

To give her some credit, being a PR-person is mostly a very unthankful job, and especially in cases like this, when it comes to legal issues, she has to deal with topics that are not really her profession.