PDA

View Full Version : Kazza Lite Killed

Tyrion
12-07-2003, 01:01 AM
Yep, it seems that the owners of spyware-infested Kazza sued the creators of Kazza Lite over...get this, copyright infringement.

http://www.zeropaid.com/news/articles/auto/12052003h.php

Personally, I never used Kazza Lite, but I'm sure a lot of you have...

(this doesnt count as Warez talk, right?)

Pie™
12-07-2003, 01:07 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :eek:
*hurries to check his vers of K-Lite k++*
"phew, still there"

BongoBob
12-07-2003, 01:08 AM
Heh, talk about Ironic.
I am switching to Win MX later tonight because of the spyware on Kazaa. Damn bastards.

lllKyNeSlll
12-07-2003, 02:03 AM
that is big time ironic

Swoosh
12-07-2003, 06:56 AM
I use eMule...it takes a little longer to get some files, but it works get nonetheless.

Swoosh

Miko Reglia
12-07-2003, 07:18 AM
yeah, i used kazaa lite too, i cant believe theyre closing it down, cause it was the safer and easier way to getting some p2p stuff...

oh well...:(

RoguePhotonic
12-07-2003, 07:31 AM
Hooah!!...**** kazza!..any forms of it!!

Alegis
12-07-2003, 10:49 AM
Wait this means future versions of K-Lite are stopped right (what about Kazaa ++ ?) so the one now can still be used a volenté.. I tried WinMX but definetely hasn't got much to offer, eMule is too slow. I guess that if users are forced to use Kazaa instead of Lite, some will switch over buying mp3s (like Napster 2.0 or Itunes thingy..and lycos rhapsody)

Hermie
12-07-2003, 11:11 AM
ummm…
Kazaa is suing someone?

FOR COPYRIGHT REASONS?!!!!

now thats wath I call irony

obi
12-07-2003, 12:37 PM
I stopped using pretty much all p2p programs a while ago. I just got tired of getting crap pop-up ads (not that there is another kind of pop up ad or anything).

Mex
12-07-2003, 12:42 PM
Don't the rules meantion no talking about warez?

obi
12-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Who's talking about warez?

:confused:

Pie™
12-07-2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
Who's talking about warez?

:confused: yeah, i only use k-lite++ for sharing my dear family pictures and my own self-recorded songs with my friends :ang2:

:D

ZBomber
12-07-2003, 02:27 PM
TEH IRONEH!!!!!1!!!! :p

I don't use P2P programs anymore, so I can laugh and laugh.... :p

obi
12-07-2003, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
yeah, i only use k-lite++ for sharing my dear family pictures and my own self-recorded songs with my friends :ang2:

:D

Very funny. Not. =P

Well, no one said anything about dling warez or anything like that.

BTW, mp3's are not illegal.

Alegis
12-07-2003, 05:52 PM
oh yes they are, if you download them from the itunes server, napster and some other services like that..of course they're not free

Kjølen
12-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
I stopped using pretty much all p2p programs a while ago. I just got tired of getting crap pop-up ads (not that there is another kind of pop up ad or anything).

That's one reason that K-Lite was good. No banners, spyware, or popups.

And yesh, downloading mp3's shouldnt be illegal, because there is a law somewhere sayong we can do stuff like that for our own personal uses. And the sharers arent SELL the music. I think they said that the RIAA was just saying it was illegal without it being supported.

Tyrion
12-07-2003, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
oh yes they are, if you download them from the itunes server, napster and some other services like that..of course they're not free

Well, we're talking about a program that can potentionally be used for illegal activities. But it can do plenty of legal things, too.

For instance, trailers.

Jedi Luke
12-07-2003, 10:50 PM
Well I used to use Kazaa on my old PC until some programs I downloaded screwed my pc. My motherboard curropted (I don't know why but there is a good chance it was one of the programs I downloaded off Kazaa). Now on my new PC I don't use any Kazaa stuff and never will.

DarkLord60
12-07-2003, 10:58 PM
What should I use instead of Kazaa! Noooooooooooooooooo

Rumor
12-07-2003, 11:10 PM
use irc or newsbin newbies.

100x better **** than you will ever get on kazaa or winmx or emule

Acrylic
12-08-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by Rumor
use irc or newsbin newbies.

Who are you calling newbies? More people have been around here longer than you have. Dunno what kinda pot youve been smoking...

obi
12-08-2003, 01:04 AM
Let's not get aggresive here, guys... ;)

Yes they are legal. Perfectly legal. If they weren't, they would not sell mp3 players in almost every store, would they?

jokemaster
12-08-2003, 01:27 AM
You know, this thread is an interesting way to find out who among us uses Kazza and other programs.

WHAT WILL I USE TO GET TRAILERS NOW!?!?

When I couldn't find a trailer everyone was talking about I use Kazza.

Oh well, guess I'll use Bittorrent.

Anyway, it really makes a differencs that there's less ads

Rumor
12-08-2003, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Acrylic
Who are you calling newbies? More people have been around here longer than you have. Dunno what kinda pot youve been smoking...

newbies = people who think kazaa/emule/winmx are the only things out there duh.

and who cares about being on these forums. do they look like a warez place to you? or for that matter just because this one single account is registered last spring doesn't mean i haven't lurked on these forums for a lot longer.

now pipe down.

STTCT
12-08-2003, 06:22 AM
I need to know more about using mIRC for my needs. Anyone with info please pm me!

I can't go without Kazaa. I just got an mp3 player!

jokemaster
12-08-2003, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Chase Windu
For trailers you could try looking on apple.com. Here's the link (http://www.apple.com/trailers/) to their trailer section.
Or you could try movie-list.com (http://www.movie-list.com).
that site's pretty good. Thanks.

KBell
12-08-2003, 04:52 PM
I, too, would like to know how to Use Mirc in place for Kazaa. Im getting an MP3 player over Christmas and ireally need a substitute.

Can some explain how to use MIrc inplace of Kazaa? (For MP3's ofcourse ;) )

Rumor
12-08-2003, 04:55 PM
well on irc you get 100x better things than kazaa. no loops or anything.

anyway pm me for details.

jokemaster
12-08-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by KBell
I, too, would like to know how to Use Mirc in place for Kazaa. Im getting an MP3 player over Christmas and ireally need a substitute.

Can some explain how to use MIrc inplace of Kazaa? (For MP3's ofcourse ;) )

Sign Me Up Too.

El Sitherino
12-08-2003, 05:33 PM
Wow, talk about way off topic.

Second, it's only Kazaa Lite that has been affected ;) not kazaa itself. Plus anyone with any basic coding skills and such can make their own kazaa lite. Or you could just keep running Spybot S&D while you're on Kazaa.

Now back to the real topic before this thread gets closed and people get warnings. (No asking how to get/distribute warez, that's what the rules state.)

It is very ironic that Kazaa is suing the makers of Kazaa lite.

jokemaster
12-08-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith

It is very ironic that Kazaa is suing the makers of Kazaa lite.

It's like someone working at Rockstar suing a game company for making a game too violent.

Kurgan
12-08-2003, 08:13 PM
It is possible to use p2p programs to download only legal files.

The trouble is that a large number of people do not, hence the controversy and the desire by various companies and groups to try to sue them out of existence.

mp3 is simply a sound file format (like wave, ogg, wma, etc). It is in no way illegal in and of itself.

Using encoding software you can make mp3's yourself from any sound you recorded.

Some bands have distributed free mp3's of their songs and encouraged people to share them.

What's illegal is taking copyrighted songs where permission was NOT given to distribute them and distributing them to people who don't own the right to use them (ie: people who don't own the original audio cd's).

Basically distributing without a liscense.

So long as nobody is encouraging warez usage or posting warez, this discussion can be allowed to continue. Just watch yourselves.. ; )

DarkLord60
12-08-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by STTCT
I need to know more about using mIRC for my needs. Anyone with info please pm me!

I can't go without Kazaa. I just got an mp3 player!

Don't worry thats how I feel so your not the only one!

Acrylic
12-08-2003, 10:49 PM
well on irc you get 100x better things than kazaa. no loops or anything.

Yes, but of course, KL is alot easier. mIRC is a chat program that can support p2p. KL is a p2p program that can support one on one chat.

Joetheeskimo
12-08-2003, 11:49 PM
Wait...if i have KLite ++ on my comp, will it still work or have they shut down the network? :confused:

Acrylic
12-09-2003, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5
Wait...if i have KLite ++ on my comp, will it still work or have they shut down the network? :confused:

they shut down the network. I tried it like 5 min ago. No workie.

Joetheeskimo
12-09-2003, 01:22 AM
Dang...but what about the mirror site they posted a link to? Will those versions still work?? :(

DarkLord60
12-09-2003, 02:12 AM
they shut down the network. I tried it like 5 min ago. No workie.

Obi Wan - noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Now I've got to find a new way of downloading music!

Jedi Luke
12-09-2003, 02:18 AM
Oh well, time for me to stop this stuff and get back to scripting.

Lightsaberboy
12-09-2003, 03:31 AM
hmm. works for me.

El Sitherino
12-09-2003, 03:56 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
Obi Wan - noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Now I've got to find a new way of downloading music! [over-the-top humour] You could always mug someone and buy some cd's with the songs you want then rip the songs to mp3 and put them on you mp3 player or whatever. All you'd have to worry about is the guy you mug having a bat, and his possible report to the cops[/over-the-top humour]

You people need a p2p rehab clinic. SERIOUSLY!
Remember folks, addiction isn't a good thing.

Boba Rhett
12-09-2003, 05:41 AM
They'd have to shut themselves down to shut down Kazaa Lite's network. :rolleyes:

Rumor
12-09-2003, 06:03 AM
now _that_ would be hilarious.

Hekx
12-09-2003, 11:43 AM
Thank God for eMule Plus. :D

El Sitherino
12-09-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
They'd have to shut themselves down to shut down Kazaa Lite's network. :rolleyes: I was about to say, didn't kazaa lite also use the gnutella network? meh, People need to lighten up, you went without free music for a pretty long time, I'm sure you can do it again.

toms
12-09-2003, 02:04 PM
i guess they could change the way the network works, to exclude kazaa-lite now it can't be updated to fix it.

However i thought KL was reverse engineered, in which case they should have no basis to sue it over copyright infringement, except for maybe over the name.

The RIAA just released figures showing that over the 5 months since they started suing people the number of users of kazaa has apparently dropped from 7million to 3.5 million.

I thought that with the way this system worked, there had to be a lot of users for it to be worthwhile, and those users with the full version of Kazaa should be able to download from KL users just like other Kazaa users... so they have just cut a big bunch of potential downloads away from their own users and reduced their already dwindling userbase at the same time. Doesn't seem to make much sense for Kazaa to me.

On a related note, sales of music haven't gone up while the filesharing has been dropping, so so much for that argument. Although of course the RIAA didn't mention THAT in their press release... :D :rolleyes:

El Sitherino
12-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by toms
On a related note, sales of music haven't gone up while the filesharing has been dropping, so so much for that argument. Although of course the RIAA didn't mention THAT in their press release... :D :rolleyes: Selective journalism, truely a wonderful thing :rolleyes:

Of course the RIAA isn't going to announce their failure, they are business people who wish to keep customers.

DarkLord60
12-09-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
[over-the-top humour] You could always mug someone and buy some cd's with the songs you want then rip the songs to mp3 and put them on you mp3 player or whatever. All you'd have to worry about is the guy you mug having a bat, and his possible report to the cops[/over-the-top humour]

You people need a p2p rehab clinic. SERIOUSLY!
Remember folks, addiction isn't a good thing.

I need to go to rehab I am an addict to Kazaa Lite K++

El Sitherino
12-09-2003, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
I need to go to rehab I am an addict to Kazaa Lite K++ It's ok, I was hooked on phonics once, but rehab helped..... m... mmm... mmmm...eeee. ME!

Acrylic
12-10-2003, 12:56 AM
Well, I mean it still WORKS, but there were only 5 people on it. those 5 coulda been RIAA'ers.

BCanr2d2
12-11-2003, 03:48 PM
MP3's, CD and DVD Copying are not illegal in any way shape or form if you look at most copyright law in most countries.

Distribution is where all that goes out the window, that's the illegal part...

For home use, ie personal, you can copy them whatever way you like. It is more like the recording industry depriving you of a right under law that you have by trying to use copy protection.... So, who is really breaking the law here???

DarkLord60
12-14-2003, 05:27 AM
Well, I mean it still WORKS, but there were only 5 people on it. those 5 coulda been RIAA'ers.

Its still working for me.

Zappa_0
12-14-2003, 02:05 PM
Yea its also still working for me. No problems, everything is fine and dandy.

Acrylic
12-14-2003, 02:48 PM
Well, its working for me now too. It just musta been that time I was on. Weird though, how there were only 5 people.

SkinWalker
12-14-2003, 03:03 PM
Kazaa Lite will keep working... the irony is, you'll have to use a P2P program to find it now!

The Kazaa network hasn't been shut down, the Kazaa Lite people have only stopped making their software available. If you already have it, you can still use it.

It seems likely that someone will continue to provide copies of it.... though you didn't hear me encourage that.

Zappa_0
12-14-2003, 03:06 PM
You find copies of it in the "plain" Kazaa. Thats how I found mine when I got my new computer.

The Count
12-14-2003, 03:41 PM
newbies = people who think kazaa/emule/winmx are the only things out there duh.

and who cares about being on these forums. do they look like a warez place to you? or for that matter just because this one single account is registered last spring doesn't mean i haven't lurked on these forums for a lot longer.

now pipe down.

Basically this forum is his life; thats why he cares.

Terribly ironic; I'm not too bothered now anyway because my University has blocked us from using Kaaza.

DarkLord60
12-14-2003, 03:47 PM
I wonder will the old versions still work cause I only have the old version as back up and I have a new one installed.

SpecialForces
12-14-2003, 04:19 PM
Kazaa is VERY BAD!!!!
Just to warn you guys.
It comes with manny programs to see what websites you go on, your files, how much time you spend on your comp, and lots of other very bad programs.
And unfortunently the programs are undeletable....
I had to wipe out my comp :(

SkinWalker
12-14-2003, 04:45 PM
Which is the reason for Kazaa Lite! No ads and such... there are also ways around the ad crap with the regular version.

DarkLord60: Yes... the old version of Kazaa Lite still works and will probably continue to work.

XERXES
12-16-2003, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber

I don't use P2P programs anymore, so I can laugh and laugh.... :p I dont either, I use AIM and friends :) and direct connect.

speaking of P2P software, I saw a comercial for Napster, hahaha...it said something like 10 cents a song. :rofl: :rolleyes: