PDA

View Full Version : Favorite War Movie

CapNColostomy
12-08-2003, 10:09 AM
These are generally my favorite types of movies. Anybody else like 'em? And if so, which do you like best?

Sivy
12-08-2003, 10:35 AM
i liked enemy at the gates, platoon and black hawk down.. but generally i'm not a big fan of war films.

i'll think i'll vote enemy at the gates

Alegis
12-08-2003, 10:56 AM
Platoon, was a great movie

STTCT
12-08-2003, 12:02 PM
Well we own them all...

but as far as the one I liked

We were Soldiers

I really liked it, including the fact that Mel Gibson was in it.

Saving Private Ryan was pretty good but gory.

Black Hawk down is probably my 3rd favorite. That movie was awesome as well - except it was hard to tell at points who was who.

Homuncul
12-08-2003, 01:08 PM
Apocalypse Now!!!! Full metal Jacket!!!!

Enemy at the gates - Sux
Saving private Ryan - Sux
We were Soldiers - Sux
Black Hawk Down - Sux

Sam Fisher
12-08-2003, 01:38 PM
I only saw the last half of Saving Private Ryan.. none other.. :(

Crazy_dog no.3
12-08-2003, 03:27 PM
Apocalypse Now- Haven't seen it but I want to.
Black Hawk Down- Good movie, I would buy it on DVD, but near-total lack of character development puts it down I think.
We Were Soldiers- I would see it but they don't show it on the default 5 channels that I have.
Windtalkers- Great movie but lacks a few things.
Full Metal Jacket- Haven't seen.
Enemy at the Gates- It was just an average movie, and they got quite a few things incorrect (I would know!)
Das Boot- Great film, but not the best.
Platoon- Haven't seen but I want to.

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN RULEZ!

leXX
12-08-2003, 05:40 PM
The Great Escape. :)

IG-64
12-08-2003, 07:02 PM
Yoda: I don't like war movies and you forgot tora, tora, tora

Boba Rhett
12-08-2003, 07:15 PM
While I like many of those I think I'm going to go with The Dirty Dozen.

Mex
12-08-2003, 07:57 PM
Yoda, mainly because I havent seen any of those films.

KBell
12-08-2003, 08:00 PM
Saving Private Ryan was a thrill to watch from beginning to end.

I would also give props to Enemy at the Gates, but I've seen it about 7 times sinse it's recent arrival to cable TV, so it's kinda lost its flavor.

Rogue Nine
12-08-2003, 09:44 PM
Full Metal Jacket is hands down the best war movie I've ever seen.

I can't believe you forgot Glory. You bastage!

DarkLord60
12-08-2003, 09:46 PM
Never saw Full metal Jacket.

Saving Private Ryan owned!!

Jedi Luke
12-08-2003, 09:53 PM
The Great Escape is Awesome!!:) Saving Private Ryan is awesome too!!:)

Rogue15
12-08-2003, 09:59 PM
Black Hawk Down and Enemy at the Gates are my favorites, I like BHD more though.

CapNColostomy
12-09-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
Yoda: I don't like war movies and you forgot tora, tora, tora

No, actually I didn't. I almost put it in Yodas place, I just figured it probably wouldn't get any votes since it's old, and most of the folks here seem fairly young. I love that flick. Was just talking about it with my boss at work, matter of fact.

But I will admit to forgetting The Dirty Dozen and Glory. :(

Miko Reglia
12-09-2003, 05:38 AM
yeah i always liked Saving Private Ryan, its a great movie with Tom Hanks...

Steven Spielberg movies are just fantastic, and they win the oscars too:D

Havoc Stryphe
12-09-2003, 01:29 PM
You are only considering Modern Warfare, I take it?

What about these?

Hamburger Hill

The Guns of Navarone - with none other than Harrison Ford, himself

Pearl Harbor - well, it sucked, but it's definately a war movie ;)

Gettysburg - Civil War was considered birth of modern warfare

Gods & Generals - ditto

And if you're considering Black Hawk Down, then you have to include Rules of Engagement, and the more recent Tears of the Sun

Of course these have already been mentioned:

Glory

The Dirty Dozen

Tora Tora Tora

And if you weren't considering just modern warfare than there is a whole slew of war movies you forgot:

Braveheart

The Last Samurai

Shogun

The Patriot

The Alamo

Etc. Etc. Etc...

Crazy_dog no.3
12-09-2003, 03:12 PM
And not to forget Master and Commander!

|GG|Carl
12-09-2003, 04:36 PM
I've only seen "Apocalypse Now", but it was very good indeed:cool:

Pie™
12-09-2003, 04:56 PM
of those i've only seen full metal jacket :eek:
it was pretty good, but i'll have 2 say yoda :)

the_raven_0_3
12-09-2003, 06:13 PM
You did forget Braveheart and that is an amazing movie, I vote for Yoda since it isn't there.

CapNColostomy
12-09-2003, 07:28 PM
ewww...I hated Braveheart, Tears of the Sun, and Rules of Engagement. But if there weren't a ten choice limit, I'd have listed them, that way everyone could vote for Yoda and Saving Private Ryan anyway.

DarkLord60
12-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Havoc Stryphe
You are only considering Modern Warfare, I take it?

The Patriot

I love that movie!! The whole thing was brilliant!

lotr-sam0711
12-10-2003, 06:54 PM
Where's the great escape or tora,tora,tora???
HOW COULD FORGET BRIDGE OVER THE RIVER KWAI!!!!????
I dislike the 21century war movies :P(besides LOTR!!!!)
EDIT: Wheres Gods and Generals???
If you included shows: Hogans Heros!!!!!

weiderudare
12-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Bah! All warmovies fade away in Band Of Brothers glory.
Its not a warmovie, ITS EVEN BETTER THAN ONE. Its to long to be a movie, thats why its a miniserie..

Pie™
12-10-2003, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by weiderudare
Bah! All warmovies fade away in Band Of Brothers glory.
Its not a warmovie, ITS EVEN BETTER THAN ONE. Its to long to be a movie, thats why its a miniserie.. actually, i fully agree! it wasnt so patriotic(americans are heroes, japs and germans are evil) as for example, pearl harbour(yuck!), for example when the leader of the company shoots the german kid, he gets traumas and stuff... Its gotta be some of the best stuff i ever saw! :D

weiderudare
12-10-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
actually, i fully agree! it wasnt so patriotic(americans are heroes, japs and germans are evil) as for example, pearl harbour(yuck!), for example when the leader of the company shoots the german kid, he gets traumas and stuff... Its gotta be some of the best stuff i ever saw! :D
Yes! Another blessed one.
For you that haven't seen the serie, watch it. even if you hate warmovies/americans/second world war/emotions, watch it for the filming and the sceneries. The filming of BoB has to be the best one ever.

The Cheat
12-10-2003, 09:58 PM
i like saving private ryan (as well as the band of brothers series) spielberg did a good job of depicting war in this movie right from the start

Jedi Luke
12-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Yeah I forgot about Band of Brothers. Band of Brothers was awesome!!!

MaulerZ
12-10-2003, 11:36 PM
Full Metal Jacket (Hilarious :p )

"How tall are you?......5'9" I didn't know that stacked **** that high" XD

vegietto
12-11-2003, 01:12 PM
Saving Private Ryan is the stuff that is a good movie

Pad
12-11-2003, 01:21 PM
I´m a great fan of war movies and I´ve seen a lot of them multiple times. And so there are too many to choose one good one from, too hard.

Anyone seen "la vitta e bella" or "the pianist"?

DarkLord60
12-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Chase Windu
Am I the only one that's going to say that Star Wars is my favorite war movie(s)?

Followed by Lord fo the Rings(war of the ring) and The Matrix movies(war between humans and machines).

Yes but its science fiction and fantasy.

Neverhoodian
12-11-2003, 02:53 PM
No Tora Tora Tora?! Well, in that case...

Yoda, as I haven't seen any of the above. (yeah, I know, I don't get out much:D )

The M*A*S*H TV series was great, too.

StormHammer
12-11-2003, 07:13 PM
I like some of those movies in the poll (Apocalypse Now [original cinematic release], Saving Private Ryan and Das Boot), but the war film that I never tire of watching is...

Where Eagles Dare

It's a very good film that has some nice plot twists, lots of action, and stars Clint Eastwood and Richard Burton (among many other familiar faces). I also like...

Kelly's Heroes (just got the DVD and I couldn't help but laugh while watching it again) and Battle Of The Bulge (I'm a sucker for tanks).

Someone else mention M*A*S*H...but I'll be honest, I preferred the TV series to the movie...

Reclaimer
12-11-2003, 11:41 PM
I liked Black Hawk Down, Saving Private Ryan, and We Were Soliders. But I would have to go with Band Of Brothers. So I voted Yoda since it wasn't there.

legameboy
12-12-2003, 12:17 AM
Braveheart, Enemy at the Gates, and The Patriot.

I'm wanting to see Gods and Generals.

Mike Windu
12-13-2003, 10:02 PM
yeah he's right.

I've wanted to see We Were Soldiers, but I never brought it up as my father was in the Vietnam War(South Vietnam) and seeing as I myself am Vietnamese, I am rather interested in it, but will not see it until after I move out most likely.

on a side note, I find it interesting of the bias of most Americans in the attack against Pearl Harbor. Sure, the Japanese attacked out of fear of hostility, but compare Pearl Harbor's death toll to Hiroshimas. Do the math, what the 2000 or so (cant remember how many) compared to 30 or 40 thousand? I myself am an American, but I find it interesting that the Americans will do anything, run into a country guns blazing, if that country has done something that the nation as a whole does not like...

maybe thats why so many countries hate us...

Weapon X
12-13-2003, 11:35 PM
Black Hawk Down is my favorite by far and i think anyone who hasn't seen it needs to, it's my favorite because it was an actual event and almost everything happened the way it was portrayed in the film

shukrallah
12-14-2003, 01:19 AM

I cant believe it... you forgot.....

STAR WARS!!!

CapNColostomy
12-14-2003, 03:33 AM
I didn't forget it, it occured to me to include it, since this is a Star Wars forum. But having the word "wars" in the title, and the fact that guns are in it didn't qualify it as a war movie to me anyway. I mean, the same could be said about War of the Roses...