PDA

View Full Version : Basic Idea: Multiple duels and health refresh


[LoS]Teo
12-10-2003, 07:10 PM
Only because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere at all, and because EVERYONE who runs a dueling server wants it, I'd merely suggest someone add:

-Unlimited duels or a method to control the amount of duels that can occur simultaneously.

-The ability to remove the glow around duelers to improve FPS.

-Make everyone around the duelers disappear (this was lovely in JK2)

-Allow health/shields to regen to 100/100 when entering and after the duel.

-Possible announcement of the winner's health/shields.


These are HUGE draws for a lot of people in JKA, and a reason I stumbled across OJP. We're running Omni Adminmod currently on our server, but we're looking for something to enhance the saber combat, as most duelers are not happy in the least with it.

Sorry that I am merely an observer who cannot contribute in terms of actual coding.

razorace
12-10-2003, 07:28 PM
I don't really see the point. If you're going to only play one-on-one anyway, you should play Duel gametypes. I can understand changing the Duel modes to allow simultanous duels, but FFA means FFA.

Plus, the 100/100 health idea just screams gameplay abuse (in non-duel modes). People would always try to enter into a saber challenge when low on health and then complain when the attacker doesn't compile.

[LoS]Teo
12-10-2003, 07:51 PM
I certainly understand, from a FFA point of view.

Many clan-based servers use FFA gamemodes as a way to allow for multiple duels at once. Yes, these are those servers that get mocked and picked on for their RP style. Either way, these servers, and their admins, do a fine job of keeping FFAs away from duels. Instead of having to wait in line for a duel, anyone can duel with anyone else. On a sidenote, entering a duel in order to escape a FFA has never been an issue in any server I've personally admined or hosted myself. These are servers where people know each other.

Nevertheless, I do see your point.

razorace
12-10-2003, 08:18 PM
Well, by default, you can't get 100/100 health by ducking into a saber challenge. :)

[LoS]Teo
12-10-2003, 08:22 PM
Very very true.

We're currently running Omni Adminmod on our server, as I mentioned, which does allow for the 100/100 health, the multiple duels, etc in a FFA game. It fits our needs in those aspects. However, the saber combat is just subpar. We've really wanted something that can combine something like Omni adminmod with a mod that can give a better saber combat environment. We don't really care much about guns, and force powers aren't a concern for us in the least.

razorace
12-10-2003, 08:56 PM
Well, don't get your hopes up. We are not going to put in a bunch of very abusable admin commands.

However, everything else is up for grabs. I'm handling the saber system but you're going to have to take someone else to do any sort of duel alterations.

t3rr0r
12-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by razorace
I don't really see the point. If you're going to only play one-on-one anyway, you should play Duel gametypes. I can understand changing the Duel modes to allow simultanous duels, but FFA means FFA.
DFA (duel for all), anyone? :D i agree. if anything, challenges should be taken out entirely. >_<

Marker0077
12-11-2003, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by [LoS]Teo
Only because I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere at all, and because EVERYONE who runs a dueling server wants it, I'd merely suggest someone add:

-Unlimited duels or a method to control the amount of duels that can occur simultaneously.

-The ability to remove the glow around duelers to improve FPS.

-Make everyone around the duelers disappear (this was lovely in JK2)

-Allow health/shields to regen to 100/100 when entering and after the duel.

-Possible announcement of the winner's health/shields.


These are HUGE draws for a lot of people in JKA, and a reason I stumbled across OJP. We're running Omni Adminmod currently on our server, but we're looking for something to enhance the saber combat, as most duelers are not happy in the least with it.

Sorry that I am merely an observer who cannot contribute in terms of actual coding. While these are all hella sweet features, you got the wrong mod dude. This is OJP, not Duelers mod. We wanted to impliment the non-interferance code (the making everyone else disappear while in a duel) & Lee said no, so unless someone else wants to code it (which is unlikely) then you are only going to find that in Duelers mod. As for the other features, we'll see. You can get info about Duelers at http://duelers.jk2files.com.

Also, the adminmod is server side only. Duelers is client & server side. Most of the stuff you want is already in Jedi Academy Reloaded which is also a server-side only mod, so I recommend you roll with that. That site is at http://jamod.jk2files.com.Originally posted by razorace
I don't really see the point. If you're going to only play one-on-one anyway, you should play Duel gametypes. I can understand changing the Duel modes to allow simultanous duels, but FFA means FFA.The point is people hate waiting to duel. This is the main purpose of the multi-duel code & why there are more FFA servers than duel servers, people just hate waiting to play. If they go to an FFA server that allows multiple private duels, they can duel with alot less of a wait time.Originally posted by razorace
Plus, the 100/100 health idea just screams gameplay abuse (in non-duel modes). People would always try to enter into a saber challenge when low on health and then complain when the attacker doesn't compile. If someone is entering into a private duel, the fight is now between those 2 people at that point. If the server wants it to be straight up FFA, then they shouldn't allow private duels in the first place. Perhaps a CVar for setting the number of private duels at the same time would be in order; Like you set it to 0 & that's infinite (if you wanted to allow no private duels, you would disable the existing CVar & not the new one), 1 is for 1, etc; etc. with a max number of 99.

This is actually a pretty common complaint among FFA users. They want an FFA game with no private dueling but most people out there want 1v1 dueling with no wait time, which again is why I was pushing for the multi-duel mode. The problem with it in JK2 is no one knew about Duelers, yet alone the new duel mode.

Either way, this would be optional by the server. I'm pretty sure the base game already gives you 100 health upon the start of a private duel but I'm not positive. My opinion is, it should make sure each person has 100/0 health at the beginning of a private duel (& disables the ability to use bacta). 100/100 gets to be a little much, especially for single users. I think there should be a cvar for what the shields should be set to upon the start of a private duel so if someone has 100 shields & the cvar is set to 0, it gets set to 0; If the CVar is set to -1 then the health points (NOT shield) are unchanged upon the start of the private duel.Originally posted by razorace
Well, don't get your hopes up. We are not going to put in a bunch of very abusable admin commands.

However, everything else is up for grabs. I'm handling the saber system but you're going to have to take someone else to do any sort of duel alterations. Chosen One already did most of this in JAR already, I'm sure he'd be willing to put it in OJP for everyone as well.Originally posted by t3rr0r
DFA (duel for all), anyone? :D i agree. if anything, challenges should be taken out entirely. >_< Yet again, back to the common complaints among FFA users. I understand your point of view; FFA should be FFA but most people want 1v1 duels & duel mode just takes too long. This is another reason why I will be aiding Lee (*/me shutters*) in the publicity aspect of Duelers.

t3rr0r
12-11-2003, 01:17 AM
there needs to be a ra3-esque gametype for the dueling.

Marker0077
12-11-2003, 04:06 AM
Originally posted by t3rr0r
there needs to be a ra3-esque gametype for the dueling. Huh? What's that?

t3rr0r
12-11-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Marker0077
Huh? What's that?
rocket arena (http://www.planetquake.com/servers/arena/about.shtm).

It's innovative "multi-arena" maps allows players to choose from up to 10 arenas on a single level, and have matches going on in all of them simulatnously.

Marker0077
12-11-2003, 10:28 PM
The Duelers non-interferance code combined with rocket only weapons sounds alot more ideal than map specific arenas. You can obviously already have rocket only weapons. As for this "multi-arena" concept, it was 1 of the ways Lee & I were thinking of putting the multi-duel code together but we both knew the non-interferance code was much better for a variety of obvious reasons. I recommend you just wait for Duelers for JK3 (or Duelers Reloaded, whatever he's going to call it) to come out.

In all reality, unless you want to be able to use the vehicles or stationary weapons, you might as well just play Duelers for JK2 with rocket only weapons.