PDA

View Full Version : RotK PC Game

Crow_Nest
12-11-2003, 01:50 PM
Has anyone have the return of the king PC game? I'm having some problems.

I keep on playing as sam, Even if i choose a different charachter. downloading a savegame still doesnt work!

HElp pls! Its boring to keep on playing as sam.

Pad
12-11-2003, 02:02 PM
Cant help ya as I dont have the game, but my question to you people is: "Is it any good?". Meaning, is it worth spending my money?

RoguePhotonic
12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
I thought it was a good game...short though.

Crow_Nest
12-11-2003, 02:51 PM
Its very good. 10x better then the first one. :cool:

DarkLord60
12-11-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Its very good. 10x better then the first one. :cool:

Better than the Two towers or Fellowship?

Sivy
12-11-2003, 03:40 PM
yeah i've heard good things about this game.. but i'm going to resist getting it until i've seen the film.

Sam Fisher
12-11-2003, 07:12 PM
PC Gamer said it was "Too f***ing hard"

Meh.

I still want it:)

StormHammer
12-11-2003, 07:47 PM
I tried the demo, and didn't really like it. I prefer over-the-shoulder exploration type hack'n'slash (Rune, Severance: Blade Of Darkness).

Sam Fisher
12-11-2003, 09:15 PM
Yep, the camera was really screwed, it just kinda followed you bird's-eye. Not good.

Jedi Luke
12-12-2003, 12:26 AM
A 1st person and 3rd person for lotr: tt & rotk would be very cool!

Crow_Nest
12-12-2003, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
Yep, the camera was really screwed, it just kinda followed you bird's-eye. Not good.

Yeah, the camera was really screwed up. PC G Was right, its very hard. I can only complete a few of the missions with the trainer. :D

Originally posted by DarkLord60
Better than the Two towers or Fellowship?

I never got to play the two towers because its only on PS2.

Swat
12-12-2003, 04:37 AM
Know what Crow? I have the same problem as you have and I'm a singaporean too. Maybe there's a bug for singapore versions :confused:

I agree with PC Gamer that it's hard though I enjoyed it

Crow_Nest
12-12-2003, 09:26 AM
Is there any patch out yet? It may fix the problem.

Jo
12-12-2003, 01:56 PM
i'm gettin it the day after xmas, cause i know what my friend got me for xmas :p. so, ill let anyone know when i get it..only..let see 14 days :D

Crow_Nest
12-27-2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
I tried the demo, and didn't really like it. I prefer over-the-shoulder exploration type hack'n'slash (Rune, Severance: Blade Of Darkness).

Why? Too hard? It wasnt THAT hard, i completed it without cheats. Do you know that there is a move called "Parry"? :p

Semicolon
12-31-2003, 07:54 PM
LOL! The game is awsome i'm about half of the way done with it now...As for the DEMO...The women practically save themselves you could parry all day and beat it...

Miko Reglia
12-31-2003, 07:58 PM
i dont like the controls for the pc version of it when i played the demo, so i got the ps2 version instead and it rocked:D

IG-64
12-31-2003, 07:58 PM
I bought the gamecube version, it was freaking awsome :D
I thougt the camera angles were fine :confused:

legameboy
12-31-2003, 08:00 PM
I would get it if I had the money. :(

CarzMellon
01-01-2004, 05:10 AM
downloading a savegame still doesnt work!

I finally realized why this doesn't work. After days of searching web sites (Pathetic, no?) I found out that you need to go to "My Documents" and then to the ROTK folder, and that's where the save files are stored. Hope this works for you.

I also found a couple of trainers that work quite well too. Got them from Game Winners.

Crow_Nest
01-01-2004, 05:21 AM
Just click "edit" and delete your post. Because the forum is slow now, but all you need to do is press the submit reply button "once"

CarzMellon
01-01-2004, 05:28 AM
Just click "edit" and delete your post. Because the forum is slow now, but all you need to do is press the submit reply button "once"

Thanks a lot.

Didn't realize how slowly it takes to post here....

Jed
01-01-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by CarzMellon
Thanks a lot.

It happens sometimes...post times change sometimes. ;)

Crow_Nest
01-01-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by CarzMellon
Thanks a lot.

Sometimes its slow, sometimes its fast..... It was slow before the holidays, and fast during the holidays, now its the new year (holidays over) and its slow now.

Andy867
01-01-2004, 05:32 PM
I say return the PC version and get the PS2 version. Also, have you tried adjusting the Difficulty level? cuz the game defaults to HARD I believe. But definitely get the PS2 version, and if you have broadband connection, you can play it online with the network adapter, AND use the Headset, which makes for good gaming. I was in the top 5 elite players at one point, and will definitely get there again:)

CarzMellon
01-01-2004, 07:13 PM
The game is hard enough for me even on the "easy" setting. The level where you have to protect Merry and Eowin is impossible!

Semicolon
01-01-2004, 07:34 PM
Plenor fields? Yeah i could only beat that with a friends help..Those oliphaunts just keep on coming....Eh and I don't get this..For secret characters you can be Merry, Pippin..and..Farimir? Wtf does Farimir have to do with the hobbits? And great..Now we can be all the hobbits in the game....Whoo hoo...They should've let us be like Eowyen or a Nazgul or Saruman or something cool..Stupid fat hobbits...

Andy867
01-01-2004, 08:46 PM
Well, just remember that holding down the fire button for the arrows makes them stronger, so fewer arrows/magic bolts are required. and if you get the good upgrades that are for the entire fellowship you can really benefit from that smart of a move. sure it cost a little more, but in the long run, its cheaper i believe.

Crow_Nest
01-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Semicolon
Plenor fields? Yeah i could only beat that with a friends help..Those oliphaunts just keep on coming....Eh and I don't get this..For secret characters you can be Merry, Pippin..and..Farimir? Wtf does Farimir have to do with the hobbits? And great..Now we can be all the hobbits in the game....Whoo hoo...They should've let us be like Eowyen or a Nazgul or Saruman or something cool..Stupid fat hobbits...

I played as legolas and kill the witch king in like 5 secs. And got "Perfect" mission rating at the end. :eek: Have anyone you managed to complete The black Gate? Its too hard... Even with the trainer.

Originally posted by Andy867
I say return the PC version and get the PS2 version. Also, have you tried adjusting the Difficulty level? cuz the game defaults to HARD I believe. But definitely get the PS2 version, and if you have broadband connection, you can play it online with the network adapter, AND use the Headset, which makes for good gaming. I was in the top 5 elite players at one point, and will definitely get there again:)

Its too bad i dont own a PS2. :( How do i play co-op anywho? :confused:

ExcelsioN
01-02-2004, 08:17 AM
I might be getting it today (for PS2 of course, PC version is SuX0rZ). I'll tell you if I get anywhere. You say its hard, but I found TT really easy. Even on hard difficulty setting. Just button bashing tekken-style I guess.

CapNColostomy
01-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Yeah, can't say I care much for ROTK for pc as far as controls go. TT was good for ps2, though. I guess some things are just better left to console.

Crow_Nest
01-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by Excelsion
I might be getting it today (for PS2 of course, PC version is SuX0rZ)

Why does all say the PC version sux?

Semicolon
01-02-2004, 08:42 AM
PC Version rocked!!!!!!!! Just because you can't play online..Heh common guys gimme a break..In order to play co-op you'll have to plug in a controler...I just plugged one into my USB port and was all set. Anyhow yeah I beat the black gate in co-op mode havn't tried it in SP yet though! Great game! Does anyone know if there are any extra lvls? If so how do you unlock them?

Andy867
01-02-2004, 09:15 AM
After beating the game, you can play the palantir of Saurman, but in order to play the last level, the palantir of sauron, you have to raise Gandalf, Aragorn, sam and Gimli I believe to lvl 10.

Jedi Luke
01-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Have anyone you managed to complete The black Gate? Its too hard... Even with the trainer.

I finished the black gate with Gandalf on Normal. I am playing the ps2 version so things are different (controller wise) between the two games. That's where joysticks and game pads are useful for the PC.

Andy867
01-02-2004, 11:13 AM
After beating Shelob's Lair (finally, back in like NOV), the Black Gate was a pushover.. that and Pelennor Fields. Just use Combos and Arrows, especially if your arrows can destroy shields.

Jedi Luke
01-02-2004, 11:24 AM
Yeah just keep using your Orc/Bane of Sauron linked moves to enter perfect mode, then just speed attack in perfect mode.

Crow_Nest
01-02-2004, 12:04 PM
After beating the game, you can play the palantir of Saurman, but in order to play the last level, the palantir of sauron, you have to raise Gandalf, Aragorn, sam and Gimli I believe to lvl 10.

No, you can go as high as level 20.

Nightmare667
01-02-2004, 01:34 PM
Hello! I have this game... my friend had the Sam problem aswell, he had to download a patch or something. I don't think it was official though, it was probably a crack to fix the game that someone had made.

Anyway, his works now :D

Anyone played the palatir levels? I used to run it on the lowest settings and it was so jumpy and slow :( but then crimbo came, and now I can run it on the highest settings with no slowdown at all. It's like my PC doesn't have to put effort in :D

Anyway, the game was awesome, it changes from the film so it doesn't spoil much. It's more like a huge trailer :p except for the very last level, that might spoil something.

Also!!!!! I didn't find it hard?! At first I couldn't do the second level on the path of the king. But I redid the first level with Legolas and then Gimli, and used the points to upgrade the fellowship and then I had all sorts of combo's to help out :D

The Minas Tirith Wall was hard at first, because I had no idea how to knock the ladders down. But I got it eventually :p and then it was fun. Hacking and slashing at orcs.

It has a great lotr atmosphere, captures the feel very well in my opinion.

Still... the film is ALOT better :p

Domo-Kun
01-02-2004, 03:11 PM
I know the reason you keep playing as sam, even when you try a diffferent character, pirate. BUY THE GAME!!! DON'T PIRATE IT!!!!

Thankyou

Crow_Nest
01-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Domo-Kun
I know the reason you keep playing as sam, even when you try a diffferent character, pirate. BUY THE GAME!!! DON'T PIRATE IT!!!!

Thankyou

How do you know? but its working now anywho. :p

ExcelsioN
01-02-2004, 05:34 PM
Well I just bought the game and started it in Co-op. I was, er, fairly pleased with it; in fact, it was much better than I had expected. That was until I reached the Pelennor Fields level. Argh I Hate that level.

This is how it seemed to go for me:

1. Fight the never-ending hordes of wierd guys in purple robes and stone orcs.
2. Kill the giant elephant (Ok, I know its real name but I feel like making fun of it).
3. Kill the other giant elephant but end up re-attempting the level 20 times (seriously 20 times) over until you try running into the edge of the cliff for a way to get down because the horribly screwed up camera dosen't show the way down.
4. Fire an arrow at the Witch King and he disappears!
5. Kill the other giant elephant.
6. After having died 50 times over, I gave up and went back to play some more KOTOR.

Andy867
01-02-2004, 05:50 PM
Crow, I know that you can get up to lvl 20,but you have to be AT LEAST lvl 10 for those characters in order to be able to play the palantir of Sauron. Whats nice on the PS2 version *not sure how on PC* is that with certain upgrades, you can hold down L1,L2,R1,R2 and get into perfect mode faster and stay there longer for additional mission points which will allow for yet better upgrades:)

Crow_Nest
01-03-2004, 03:26 AM
For PC (Dont know for PS2 or xbox) there is a cheat that lets you have perfect mode forever

ExcelsioN
01-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Just played the first 2 levels of the Gandalf campaign and Gandalf is so amazing (in singleplayer)!

And don't try Co-op until you've completed SP. Because you don't get checkpoints. Which is why I was finding Pelennor Fields so hard (no checkpoints, lvl4 Aragon and level 5 Legolas).

Crow_Nest
01-03-2004, 08:41 AM
Hey try not to purchase the "Final Judgement" combo for aragorn, its hard to do. Other combos are ok. :)

Rebel_Spy
01-15-2004, 01:46 AM
I get the game for xmas and it was really good. I beat it without cheats. The Only thing that I wanted was to be able to play with Aragorn but with the King Elessar clothes, because I like that outfit more that the weather-stained ranger ones. It can be possible?

Jedi Luke
01-15-2004, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by Rebel_Spy
I get the game for xmas and it was really good. I beat it without cheats. The Only thing that I wanted was to be able to play with Aragorn but with the King Elessar clothes, because I like that outfit more that the weather-stained ranger ones. It can be possible?

Doesn't he wear those clothes for the Black Gate?

Rebel_Spy
01-15-2004, 02:29 AM
yes indeed, He uses that clothes in that level, but will it be nice if you can used on any level that you want?

Jedi Luke
01-15-2004, 08:22 AM
yes indeed, He uses that clothes in that level, but will it be nice if you can used on any level that you want?

I'm not too fussed about the King Elessar clothes. I guess it was only set for the black gate to be consistant with the storyline and movie.

Crow_Nest
01-15-2004, 08:25 AM
I still think that aragorn's orginal ranger clothes are better then the king's. :p

EDIT: Ok i keep getting this thingy that appears on my screen whenever i play this game, it shows fps and stuff. How do i get rid of it? Reinstalled still get the same thing.

I cant take a screen and show you, but i dont know how.

ExcelsioN
01-15-2004, 04:11 PM
I still think that aragorn's orginal ranger clothes are better then the king's. :p

EDIT: Ok i keep getting this thingy that appears on my screen whenever i play this game, it shows fps and stuff. How do i get rid of it? Reinstalled still get the same thing.

I cant take a screen and show you, but i dont know how.

It won't be the same as JA. Press and hold down alt+Print Screen and then that'll take the shot. Then load up MS Paint and press ctrl+v.

Andy867
01-15-2004, 08:18 PM
try removing any cfg files since Uninstall programs usually leave config files, although this might delete your user-defined keyboard controls if you can change them or whatever.

Crow_Nest
01-16-2004, 05:20 AM
Ok i'll try reinstalling again. :)

EDIT: Still doesnt work, anyway, heres the shot:

http://crownest.poonpipi.com/images/fps.JPG

But when i play other games i dont get this.

NOTE: the fps is supposed to show on the upper left of the screen, but i dont know why it isnt there.

http://crownest.poonpipi.com/images/fps1.JPG

Astrotoy7
01-16-2004, 03:22 PM
I have been playing this on the ps2 recently, MAN its HARD, on EASY level too !! Bugger

MTFBWYA

ExcelsioN
01-16-2004, 04:08 PM
:lol: The PC version is screwed. Like the camera. PS2 is much better for hack n' slash style games. Especially co-op.

I have been playing this on the ps2 recently, MAN its HARD, on EASY level too !! Bugger

MTFBWYA

Once you get used to it its actually quite easy. Try and beat my score of The Palantir of Sauron (completed), Easy, No cheats.
But only attempt it with a Level 20 Legolas and Faramir. Also, if you find it too hard, get to level 10 and buy Swift Justice. Then when you press X,X,X,X you do a combo. :D

Crow_Nest
01-17-2004, 07:08 AM
:lol: The PC version is screwed. Like the camera.

In what way the PC version is screwed? Its fine for me.

Andy867
01-17-2004, 08:27 AM
:lol: The PC version is screwed. Like the camera. PS2 is much better for hack n' slash style games. Especially co-op.

Once you get used to it its actually quite easy. Try and beat my score of The Palantir of Sauron (completed), Easy, No cheats.
But only attempt it with a Level 20 Legolas and Faramir. Also, if you find it too hard, get to level 10 and buy Swift Justice. Then when you press X,X,X,X you do a combo. :D

Legolas makes it too easy with the Elven Bow Mastery upgrade... Try using Aragorn and Gimli, Normal difficulty with no cheats. Its do-able (after like 5 tries for this guy and I online) and my Aragorn was only level 11 and the guy's gimli was like level 12. Hard as hell? Yes. Impossible... Close to it:) Still have yet to beat it on Hard though.

Oh and even after not playing ROTK for a month, I am still in the top 100 players on the rotk.ea.com site:) I am # 61.. Not bad for not playing in the longest time;) Course at one point, I got to like #5. That kicked ass. Course Darknight14 and Monkeybajo were always battling for first place:)

Crow_Nest
01-18-2004, 06:52 AM
Oh and even after not playing ROTK for a month, I am still in the top 100 players on the rotk.ea.com site:) I am # 61.. Not bad for not playing in the longest time;) Course at one point, I got to like #5. That kicked ass. Course Darknight14 and Monkeybajo were always battling for first place:)

I can find the list of players, can you give me the link?

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 10:39 AM
I can find the list of players, can you give me the link?

Here:

http://www.eagames.com/official/lordoftherings/returnoftheking/us/leaderboards.jsp

It's only North America though.

Crow_Nest
01-18-2004, 11:12 AM
Um, Andy it looks like you got pushed back from 61st to 66th place. Go get more points!

Too bad its only for PS2. :(

EDIT: What about the fps problem i have? (Screens show in above post.) how do i get rid of that fps and those line thingys?

I have tried an uninstall, then delete the remaining cfg files, and install again. But it still remains there!

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 11:48 AM
Um, Andy it looks like you got pushed back from 61st to 66th place. Go get more points!

Too bad its only for PS2. :(

EDIT: What about the fps problem i have? (Screens show in above post.) how do i get rid of that fps and those line thingys?

I have tried an uninstall, then delete the remaining cfg files, and install again. But it still remains there!

Try wiping everything from your LOTR directory. Backup the savegames to another folder. Try doing a complete reinstall. If that still dosen't make it work try looking for something to fix it (like a patch or your graphics card site).

If that dosen't work then I can't really help, I have the game on PS2.

Crow_Nest
01-18-2004, 12:01 PM
Try wiping everything from your LOTR directory. Backup the savegames to another folder. Try doing a complete reinstall. If that still dosen't make it work try looking for something to fix it (like a patch or your graphics card site).

I dont think it has a patch out yet, i have the latest drivers for my graphics card (53.04)

Did a complete reinstall twice.

Crow_Nest
01-25-2004, 03:16 AM
Beat the game, NORMAL diffuclty (sp?). No cheats, no trainer, no savegame.

Ended with:

Level 8 Aragorn
Level 9 Legolas
Level 3 Gimli :p
Level 6 Sam
Level 4 Frodo
Level 8 Gandalf

Try to beat that! :D

Btw, bump.

MaulerZ
01-25-2004, 03:33 AM
Level 8 Aragorn
Level 9 Legolas
Level 3 Gimli :p
Level 6 Sam
Level 4 Frodo
Level 8 Gandalf

Try to beat that! :D

Done on Normal

Aragorn 10
Legolas 10
Gimli 10
Sam 7
Frodo 4
Gandalf 10

Andy867
01-25-2004, 03:52 AM
Aragorn - 9
Gandalf - 7
Legolas - 9
Gimili - 1
Sam - 3
Frodo - 1
Faramir - 1
Pippin - 1
Merry - 1

Normal by the way for those stats for Difficult:
Aragorn - 10
Gandalf - 9
Legolas - 11
Sam - 4
Gimli - 4
Sam - 4
Frodo -3
Pippin, Merry, Faramir - 2

Does that count?

Crow_Nest
01-25-2004, 08:55 AM
Normal by the way for those stats for Difficult:
Aragorn - 10
Gandalf - 9
Legolas - 11
Sam - 4
Gimli - 4
Sam - 4
Frodo -3
Pippin, Merry, Faramir - 2

Does that count?

Why are there 2 sams? :p

Aragorn - 9
Gandalf - 7
Legolas - 9
Gimili - 1
Sam - 3
Frodo - 1
Faramir - 1
Pippin - 1
Merry - 1

Does that mean you didnt use gimli? :D

Btw, your frodo shouldnt be level 1 once you complete the crack of doom. Should be at least level 2.

ExcelsioN
01-25-2004, 09:47 AM
Here's mine:

Legolas - 20
Faramir - 18
Aragorn - 16
Gandalf - 10
Sam - 10
Gimli - 2
Frodo -2
Pippin - 1
Merry - 1

Crow_Nest
01-25-2004, 12:34 PM
Hey im talking about the levels after you complete the crack of doom! and not after palatinr (sp?) of saurman!

Astrotoy7
01-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Bugger !

Ok I am referring to the PS2 version but I just cant seem to ever get through the level using gandalf at the tower(I thinks its gondor), where you have to knock ladders down, shoot catapults, any hints because I just find I get overrun too quickly....

MTFBWYA

Crow_Nest
01-26-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Bugger !

Ok I am referring to the PS2 version but I just cant seem to ever get through the level using gandalf at the tower(I thinks its gondor), where you have to knock ladders down, shoot catapults, any hints because I just find I get overrun too quickly....

MTFBWYA

You have to be quick, knock down any ladders you see. Look at the upper right there should be some small map thingy (not sure for PS2) the red dots indicate ladders.

Andy867
01-26-2004, 06:11 PM
Bugger !

MTFBWYA

RUN. thats the best way. Kick down ladders as you see them, and Use your Magic Blasts to destroy the siege towers. The catapults take too much time. there are like 3 or 4 siege towers to destroy I believe, but just keep moving.. it took me like 3 times before I finally got the hang of it.

Crow_Nest
01-27-2004, 06:28 AM
Where are the catapults? I cant find them, they're not at the top of that tower thingy right?

Andy867
01-27-2004, 06:29 AM
the catapults are at the top of 2 different towers I believe, but its pointless to try to use them (take too much time) but yea, they are the blue things on the map/radar

Crow_Nest
01-29-2004, 10:59 AM
What do i do when shelob is running around? I keep getting hit and cant escape cause its too fast.

Andy867
01-29-2004, 11:38 AM
use your Elvish cloak to hide from her and then sneak up in front of her and use Fierce Attack on her head. Eventually Shelob will become REALLY fast and also jump onto the walls and summon her children.. just fend them off and keep out of her way, and eventually hitting her on the head enough times will defeat her.

Astrotoy7
01-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Ive got my hands on the pc copy....yes it does look better(of course), but using the keyboard/mouse to move is terribly frustrating.....even with my gamepad I am not having as much fun as I did on the ps2..... BUT, once i remap my gamepad(so it is like the ps2 layout), plug my laptop into my TV, and put some CHEATS on, then it might get exciting.. Oh yes, 2p mode is outta the question on the pc too, bugger....

MTFBWYA

Astrotoy7
01-30-2004, 02:26 PM
after having a good go with the pc version, trainer and all, i gotta say i probably enjoyed it more on ps2.......some types of games are just more accessible and more fun on the console.....perfect exampke are sports games...I always play FIFA soccer, and the console versions are always more fun, and easier to set up MP games with(ie. at home)...all in all consoles are a bit more social, i terms of having friends over and playing games such as sports games, even ROTK on PS2

MTFBWYA

ExcelsioN
01-30-2004, 05:40 PM
after having a good go with the pc version, trainer and all, i gotta say i probably enjoyed it more on ps2.......some types of games are just more accessible and more fun on the console.....perfect exampke are sports games...I always play FIFA soccer, and the console versions are always more fun, and easier to set up MP games with(ie. at home)...all in all consoles are a bit more social, i terms of having friends over and playing games such as sports games, even ROTK on PS2

MTFBWYA

Its much easier on ps2 because of the decent controllers. I hate using a controller on a pc and the keyboard is nearly impossible to use for the combos. Can you change the res of the PC version? You couldn't in the demo.

PC is best for everything except for Lite RPG Hack n' Slash games like LOTR.

Andy867
01-30-2004, 08:50 PM
I agree, just playing the demo convinced me that the PC isnt really suited for a game like ROTK, even though the PC is very good for games like Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast:) But I do find the PS2 to be better suited for games that require very little buttons, but complicated combos (like the different banes and Final Judgement, etc)

Crow_Nest
01-31-2004, 12:32 AM
I agree that combos are hard to do on PC, like lightning strike and dark deliverance.

But if you have enough pratice, you will master them. Even in battle.

Rebel_Spy
01-31-2004, 01:37 AM
It get easy if you use a gamepad!

Astrotoy7
01-31-2004, 03:32 AM
It get easy if you use a gamepad!

I do play with a gamepad, thats configured like a ps2 pad exactly, still, i say its just more fun on a console...

MTFWBYA

Astrotoy7
01-31-2004, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by ExcelsioN
Can you change the res of the PC version? You couldn't in the demo.

Indeed, right up to 1600x1200, mine looks great at 1024x768, though I can run at at least 1200x1024 with hi detail.... (I have a 64 mb card in my laptop....)

MTFWBYA

Crow_Nest
01-31-2004, 05:33 AM
Laptops arent for gaming. :p

I just went to the store, 2 guys were playing coop there (xbox version), it graphics isnt as good as the PC version. Its like all burly (sp?)

Do you see this kind of thing in PS2?

Astrotoy7
01-31-2004, 10:15 AM
Laptops arent for gaming. :p

I just went to the store, 2 guys were playing coop there (xbox version), it graphics isnt as good as the PC version. Its like all burly (sp?)

Do you see this kind of thing in PS2?

Not my laptop Crow, Toshiba Satellite 5200, 2.4 Ghz, 512 RAM, DVD Burner, the only thing I'd change is the GeForce Fx GO 64mb, Id prefer a 128/256......

I do ALL my gaming on it.... right know I have KOTOR, Elite Force 2, NWN and BOTH its XPacks running a treat of my laptop. Plus whenever I go to lan parties for gaming/filesharing etc it is obviously much easier to carry.... and yes, I actually DO use it for work. Alot of the times I even play/surf on my tv due to the very handy video out :p

But the ROTK ps2 grafix are only 800x600 IIRC. The PC version goes up to 1600x1200 as you know. I run it at 1024x768 and it still looks great...

MTFWBYA

Crow_Nest
02-02-2004, 05:29 AM
Ok astro, now im confused, are you having a GF FX 5600 go 64MB on ur laptop or comp? And what about that 128/256mb thing?

Anywho heres a tip for the minas tirith (sp?) courtyard.

IGNORE THE ENEMIES WHEN 150 HAVE ALREADY ESCAPED
Find somewhere to hide, only kill those who wanna play hero. :D

Heres a tip for the first hobbit level (Dunno how to spell name):

Once you're at the roofs, quickly run and dont delay. Only kill orcs that get in your way and run past the archers.

*Tip for defeating the level boss*

From afar, use your ranged attack to kill the orcs and orc archer. Then Destroy the boss's shield/armor with your ranged attack (one fully charge throw) and another one, then repeat.

Heres a tip for Pelnnor fields:

Try not to stay in the big crowd as you will die easily. Instead go away and kill the lose enemies (those who are alone/few of them)

*Tip for defeating the nazgul*

One fully charged arrow/axe throw could take down a lot of health. (easier when legolas and aragorn has mithirl arrows)

*Tip for defeating the King of the Dead*

This guy will attack continuously once he rises from the ground. So once hes done attacking, hit him with a combo to do the most damage. And dont forget your special abillty.

*Tip for defeating Nazguls in The Black Gate*

Even a fierce attack on them has no effect, so instead run away and knock down the fire and throw the war pikes at them.

NOTE: Stay away from them and they will ignore you

Now use your ranged attack and hit them with a fully charged arrow/axe/magic attack

Andy867
02-02-2004, 05:54 AM
Actually, when first fighting the king of the dead.. you can block 3 times and then attack 3 then block 3 and attack 3. This will force him to go off to his cliffs.. Just stand back and pick off the ghosts that are awaiting you to get close one by one.. then once they are dead, do the same pattern... after the king starts blowing that deadly energy at ya, immediately attack him with fierce attack, and then scurry to get behind another rock. and do the same thing... eventually, you will need to block 2 then there will be a slight delay (do not attack him at this time) then parry 1 or 2 more times, and then attack, then he will do the same thing again, and eventually after killing of his henchmen ghosts and archers, he will succumb.

Crow_Nest
02-02-2004, 06:18 AM
At the same level, do you get this bug on the PS2? After the first bit of his health has gone down and summons more ghosts, the ghosts wont appear and you will get stuck there unless you stop?

I do get it on PC.

Jedi Luke
02-02-2004, 07:29 AM
At the same level, do you get this bug on the PS2? After the first bit of his health has gone down and summons more ghosts, the ghosts wont appear and you will get stuck there unless you stop?

I do get it on PC.

I've got the PS2 version and no I don't get that bug. I can successfully complete the level without any bugs. Hopefully EA will repair those scripting errors will be corrected and released in a patch for Rotk.

Astrotoy7
02-02-2004, 07:47 AM
Ok astro, now im confused, are you having a GF FX 5600 go 64MB on ur laptop or comp? And what about that 128/256mb thing?

GeForce 5600 FX GO You see, the "GO" series are specially designed by nVidia for use on notebooks exclusively...... I do have a desktop but it used only by the lady/kids in the house. I only ever get on it to do disk cleanups and virus scans etc.... When I got my laptop toshiba satellites DID NOT have an out of the box notebook that came with a Vcard greater than 64 mb. NOW of course there is the 5700 FX GO which is 128mb, and maybe 256 perhaps, not 100% sure....

MTFBWYA

Crow_Nest
02-03-2004, 08:03 AM
*Faster completion for the Crack of Doom*

This fight takes forever and im fed up with it, just run to the edge and gollum will follow (most of the time) try to trap him there and use a fierce attack or physical attack to knock him down.
Finish with a ground stab

Then repeat.

Jedi Luke
02-03-2004, 08:13 AM
*Faster completion for the Crack of Doom*

This fight takes forever and im fed up with it, just run to the edge and gollum will follow (most of the time) try to trap him there and use a fierce attack or physical attack to knock him down.
Finish with a ground stab

Then repeat.

Damn, I was aware of this one. I thought you meant another way and faster as you said crow.

Crow_Nest
02-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Jedi Luke
Damn, I was aware of this one. I thought you meant another way and faster as you said crow.

That is the only fastest way i can think of, the alternet way is to use the 1-hit kill trainer but causes a bug.

Jedi Luke
02-03-2004, 08:24 AM
That is the only fastest way i can think of, the alternet way is to use the 1-hit kill trainer but causes a bug.

Ah, you've been using trainers. Cos I've got the PS2 version, I had to beat Crack of doom the proper way.

Astrotoy7
02-03-2004, 12:23 PM
The only level I used a trainer on was the minas tirith wall, but once I had enough practise I can now get through it without cheating. I have unlocked all the characters now, and mainly like playing using Faramir(BTW he is played by a fellow aussie, actor David Wenham ;) ) I knwo a few lady gamers who are upset you cant use Eowyn, since she does do a bit of fighting in the movie !

MTFWBYA

ExcelsioN
02-03-2004, 05:08 PM
On the Crack of Doom all you need to do to complete it easily is to play it in Co-op. Get one person to continually kick Gollum (O on PS2) and the other one to fight him and slowly lead him over to the edge. I completed it in about 10 minutes this way.

Crow_Nest
02-04-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by ExcelsioN
On the Crack of Doom all you need to do to complete it easily is to play it in Co-op. Get one person to continually kick Gollum (O on PS2) and the other one to fight him and slowly lead him over to the edge. I completed it in about 10 minutes this way.

Nahs, coop is too easy, can even complete the first part of the black gate and get to the boss in 20 mins or less.

Its more challanging in single.

Crow_Nest
02-13-2004, 01:57 PM
Bump again. :D

In case you all didnt know, theres a hidden ROTK trailer in the game. of coruse there is one in the main menu (yes its the war of the ring trailer not ROTK), so at the start menu, when they say "press anykey" (not sure for PS2 or xbox)

Just wait for a while and the will be music running, after sometime the trailer will start playing. And its different from the offical site. :) :cool:

Astrotoy7
02-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Bump again. :D

In case you all didnt know, theres a hidden ROTK trailer in the game. of coruse there is one in the main menu (yes its the war of the ring trailer not ROTK), so at the start menu, when they say "press anykey" (not sure for PS2 or xbox)

Just wait for a while and the will be music running, after sometime the trailer will start playing. And its different from the offical site. :) :cool:

Hmmm...interesting, will go check it out(I have PC version now)

Played through the entire 3 campaigns with a friend the other nite in co-op mode, he used a gamepad, I used the keyboard, damn it was annoying, especially when you have to do alot of running(king of the dead)

I still cant do some of the levels without the trainer :(

But I dont mind, I just like the visuals... i really wish they had an Eowyn character though, Merry and Pippin and just too unconvincing as warriors...

MTFBWYA

BongoBob
02-13-2004, 02:51 PM
I just rented it on the cube, and am stuck on the level before the crack of doom, the black gate. I beat the boss fine, but then when it comes to saving my fellow teammates, well, ya. Any suggestions?

Astrotoy7
02-13-2004, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by BongoBob
I just rented it on the cube, and am stuck on the level before the crack of doom, the black gate. I beat the boss fine, but then when it comes to saving my fellow teammates, well, ya. Any suggestions?

theres specific enemies that kick the crap out of them, you need to base yourself central enough so that you can spot this, most of the time you can take them out using your ranged weapon, including the archers, who really get stuck into legolas i found.....

Only when the 'bosses' come do you need to divert your attention to them. i did find though, when playing as gandalf and the 3/4th 'boss' or so came, was the same time an archer went for legolas, so you need to deal with that quickly before getting back to the boss.

So :
*Ranged weapon is the key, saves running around
*Prioritising, basically help a teammate if he is getting clobbered - if you can do this with your ranged weapon, even better.
*Also, when things are 'quieter' rather than just standing around, just position yourself centrally and take out all the orcs around, if you do it well enough, there will be short lulls between attacks where your teammates heal themselves.

MTFBWYA

BongoBob
02-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Will try.

:)

Crow_Nest
02-14-2004, 04:59 AM
The trick to defending your teammates is to heal the one with the least health. And remember, the powerful orcs (with armor and health bar) will always go for one of your teammates, so its best to destroy their armor or kill them first.

HINT: Try the war spikes :)

Andy867
02-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Or if you have Legolas, you can upgrade to the Elven Mastery which not only allows you to shoot two arrows, but the arrows can go through enemies and kill others. Just hold down the shoot button to build up the strength instead of just needlessly firing off a volley of arrows. and just kick some orc ass.

Crow_Nest
02-14-2004, 09:17 AM
I wouldnt buy it if i were you, it takes up 2 arrows even if you only shoot one at one enemy.

Astrotoy7
02-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Hey ! Does anyone know if the PC version had mods/skins... basically i wouldnt mind playing as eowyn(no jokes about wanting to be a girl plz...), she was pretty kick-ass in the movie(and book)... I cant believe we got those wimps merry and pippin instead, they were deliberately kept out of the fighting for most of the book/movie.... :confused:

MTFBWYA

Jedi Luke
02-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Hey ! Does anyone know if the PC version had mods/skins... basically i wouldnt mind playing as eowyn(no jokes about wanting to be a girl plz...), she was pretty kick-ass in the movie(and book)... I cant believe we got those wimps merry and pippin instead, they were deliberately kept out of the fighting for most of the book/movie.... :confused:

MTFBWYA

Eowyn was kick ass in the book? I'm pretty sure that in the book she wasn't the one who killed the Ringwraith. It was Merry who killed it.

Crow_Nest
02-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Eowyn was kick ass in the book? I'm pretty sure that in the book she wasn't the one who killed the Ringwraith. It was Merry who killed it.

Correction, it was BOTH of them whoo killed him. But in the game, only Eowyn kill him. :cool:

And astro, i dont think theres any mod/skin/patch out yet, cause if you look in the files in the folders when you install the game, you wont find any skin/model file.

Astrotoy7
02-15-2004, 12:12 PM

nope. but Merry does get an 'assist'..... Eowyn is a very strong female character in the book(probably the strongest IMO) In ROTK EE expect to see Eowyn do even more hack n slash.....

MTFBWYA

Crow_Nest
02-16-2004, 11:15 AM
*Easy level completion the "tree" part in The Road to Isenguard*

After killing the 4 orcs, run to the far end (near where the part where the tree destroy the rocks) they cannot attack you if you are there, and kill the enemies that keep coming from the hill top.

*Tip for killing level boss*

You dont need a tip for this one :p

*Tip for killing small spiders in Shelob's Lair*

Use fierce attack on them once, then ground stab. Or use "Final Judgement" if you have purchased that upgrade.

*Get more xp points in Cirth Ungol*

1. There is a small tunnel leading to a room full of enemies after killing a few enemies.

2. Up stairs in the large room with orcs and Urk, cut down the rope releasing a big... Whatever you call it...

3. In the same room, go down the stairs is a door leading outside, "use" the pot of boiling hot oil/lava and kill the enemies below.

4. The bridge (before the boss) are 5 or 4 orcs and 1 urk that you can kill.

Astrotoy7
02-16-2004, 02:31 PM
what'd you do Crow.....swallow the prima game guide.... :p

MTFBWYA

Mike Windu
02-16-2004, 03:17 PM
I think he ground the guide into his protein shake

Anyway, I played the GC version and its a hell of a lot easier so haha for you foolish PC users who don't have a console to play it on... HAHAHAHAHAHA. It's still not as cool as the two towers, I liked the camera angles better... whats the point of better graphics if your 500 feet away from your character. Then again, a different developer created this game(TTT was made by Stormfront Studios, they were not called back to make ROTK, and are now working on a D&D game based on the TTT engine -Game Informer)

Crow_Nest
02-17-2004, 06:15 AM
what'd you do Crow.....swallow the prima game guide.... :p

MTFBWYA

The prima guide is still at the store you fool!! I didnt buy it! :p Those are stratigies i came up with, but they really work. ;)