PDA

View Full Version : Keiko is dead

Hermie
12-15-2003, 07:24 PM
yes, the cute killer whale (ok, that didnt sound right) died a some days ago by a lung disease in a fjord in the western part of Norway. this news has been completly overshadowed by Saddams capture, but now at least the swampies know it. Keiko became 27 years, which is pretty long for a killer whale. Keiko was moved to Norway after, get this, a failed atempt to get him to live in the wild.

ZBomber
12-15-2003, 07:34 PM
Yeh, I saw that, but I was too happy about Saddam... :(

Miko Reglia
12-15-2003, 09:17 PM
awh man...

wasnt keiko in free willy? because i remember watching the movie when i was little...:(

DarkLord60
12-15-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by Zaknafein
awh man...

wasnt keiko in free willy? because i remember watching the movie when i was little...:(

Yes it was. :Cough: Free Willy sux

Writer
12-15-2003, 11:22 PM
I remember the movie as well, but now that I think back on what I remember of it, I think it's kind of stupid... no offense to people who still like it.

Neverhoodian
12-16-2003, 12:34 AM
Well, it had to happen eventually, I guess. Too bad he never lived up to his movie counterpart's freedom in the wild. :(

Personally, I find it kind of strange that people think an animal who eats whale calves and seals in the wild is considered "cute" just because it's in a movie. Not that its feeding habits are bad, it has to survive after all, but it doesn't really seem like "cute" material to me. Fascinating, but not "cute."

Alia
12-16-2003, 01:17 AM
Orca Wail's gone too. What's with the world these days?

STTCT
12-16-2003, 05:09 AM
I read this sadly too, right before I went to Sea World on Saturday. It is a great loss. Many people tried to save Kieko and friends I know donated to the fund. They tried to reintroduce him into the wild, but he caught pnemonia and died.

RIP Free Willy

ET Warrior
12-16-2003, 05:34 AM
I dont get it.

It's a WHALE.

whales die all the time. it's not like I ever met the whale, or was good friends with it. I can understand being sad at the loss of somebody/something you knew but......it's a random whale that was in a movie.

Bleh.

STTCT
12-16-2003, 06:02 AM
He was a special whale though :(

Well the reason why he was so popular was because of the foundations that supported and funded him to being taken from his Aquarium in Mexico and being reintroduced to the wild.

It was an effort made by many people. Yes, he was famous because of a movie. But not only because of a movie - but because people felt that he needed to be freed.

CapNColostomy
12-16-2003, 06:08 AM
Death to all whales.

STTCT
12-16-2003, 06:58 AM
Whale Hater :p

Jedi Luke
12-16-2003, 07:06 AM
Oh well, It's sad but whales, birds and other animals die all the time. Can't escape nature's selections.

STTCT
12-16-2003, 07:19 AM
So do people.... and we have forumers here who post when people are missing aka presumably dead. God forbid we should post the death of a famous whale....

/end rant

Sorry - I'm kinda pissed that people aren't respectful of this.

http://www.keiko.com/gallery/gallery_10.jpg

http://www.keiko.com/gallery/gallery_26.jpg

http://www.keiko.com/gallery/gallery_18.jpg

I'm a very big advocate of Saving the Whales...if you can't tell.

STTCT
12-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Oh and this is why he is so important...

"Keiko inspired millions of children to get involved in following his amazing odyssey and helping other whales. Keiko's journey also inspired a massive educational effort around the world and formed the basis for several scientific studies. Thousands of people traveled to Norway in the past year to see Keiko, continuing his legacy as the most famous whale in the world.

Phillips stated: "Keiko was a trailblazer, the first orca whale ever rescued from captivity. There's still a lot of work to be done to see that captive whales are given a chance to be free. Keiko showed what is possible if these animals are just given the chance."

Alegis
12-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Shave the whales

Too bad about Keiko..I liked the watch the movies, but only once..It's the kind of movies I don't bother to see mutiple times (yes I seem mostl movies multiple times)

Sam Fisher
12-16-2003, 12:33 PM
Well, that sucks now doesn't it?

Breton
12-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Well, it's a pity he died, but I don't understand why people should care more about a whale than about the thousands of children who will die today. Just imagine how many human lives you could have saved for all the millions that were spent on a failed attempt on getting him out in the wilds again.

And about the "Save the whales" thing: What would you rather kill, one whale or 5,000 chickens? Though I believe that discussion fits better in another thread.

STTCT
12-16-2003, 12:48 PM
Yes, this is Keiko's death thread...if you want to start a children's death thread...then go ahead.....

Nobody ever said they didn't care about the millions that die everyday.

ET Warrior
12-16-2003, 02:45 PM
I'm with Breton on this one. Why spend all that money and have all those people contributing to put one freakin whale back in the wild. Had all that money been spent on food for dying children a lot of humans would be better off.

Hell, I think they should've just killed the whale and served those hungry kids some whale steaks.

DarkLord60
12-16-2003, 09:14 PM
I say anaimals are just important as us we just happen to be smarter so why no use are knowledge to help those animals in danger. Wow I never thought I could sound so cheesy. LOL

Rumor
12-16-2003, 09:48 PM
RIP keiko =/

who says we are ALL smarter than them ;)

STTCT
12-17-2003, 05:33 AM
You guys are right. Let's kill all the whales and while we are at it all the endangered species, so that we can save all the starving children. Nevermind, that killing these animals will damage the very ecosystems that FEED the NON starving children :rolleyes:

CapNColostomy
12-17-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by STTCT
You guys are right. Let's kill all the whales and while we are at it all the endangered species, so that we can save all the starving children. Nevermind, that killing these animals will damage the very ecosystems that FEED the NON starving children :rolleyes:

Eh, don't get sore woman. You've been here longer than I have and I already know not to take very much of anything said here seriously. You know what they say, opinions are like *******s. Everybody has one, and they usually stink. ;)

ET Warrior
12-17-2003, 06:08 AM

Now when did any of us say it's a good idea to just kill em all? I certainly dont remember saying that. I said kill Keiko. Just that one. The ones already in the wild certainly can live.

They even BURIED Keiko. They dug a grave and buried it!!! WHAT?!?! It's a WHALE.

I will NEVER understand why people think animals should be treated like they're humans. I agree, we need animals, I agree, we shouldn't just randomly kill them all. But I say Darklord is just being silly when he says that animals are just as important as us. They AREN'T HUMANS.

Do you think that if a lion pack had the choice between killing the lost members of the safari to feed themselves or attempting to find a way to lead the humans to safety they would HESITATE to kill those people and eat them? NO! They'd kill them as fast as they could and eat them down to where only the scavengers can make any use of them.

SO I say EAT them. If we have them in captivity and they are not entertaining or aiding humans in any way and we could benefit from the meat off their bones then lets EAT them.

Sorry, sometimes i get very violently anti-vegetarian and such.

CapNColostomy
12-17-2003, 06:18 AM
They burried that fat bastard? If anything she should be squawking about that! Imagine all the shi...I mean precious sea life that could feast on its blubbery remains! The poor eco system indeed. For shame...

Oh yeah, I think it's hillarious that we have a pacifest/violent/anti-vegetarian/warrior on this forum. Nice mix mang! ;)

Alegis
12-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Beasts vs humans *savage*

If we kill ze animals and they don't kill us won't that lead to a..oh never mind we kill ourselves

About the money for one whale, it iz einen famous whale, certainly if someone would ask me to help "save the whales" i'd say no, "when was the last time a whale did something for you?" -Maddox , but well just that animal happened to get a lot of sympathy. The one who is more popular wins nowadays (for example, if a heart surgerist who saved 50 lives will sit on a bench, and some (is nigga actually an insult? I remember reading somewhere they prefer just 'black ppl' or something) black rappa sits next to him who published one cheap song from the random RnB bull**** generator..Who do you think will be honoured?

Keiko is getting all these funds etc since they seen the animal on ze big screen, the animal gets introduced to mankind and they don't simply want to let it go easily from their ehm..I think I'll stop here to make it at least a bit understandable..

CapNColostomy
12-17-2003, 06:28 AM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
Beasts vs humans *savage*

If we kill ze animals and they don't kill us won't that lead to a..oh never mind we kill ourselves

About the money for one whale, it iz einen famous whale, certainly if someone would ask me to help "save the whales" i'd say no, "when was the last time a whale did something for you?" -Maddox , but well just that animal happened to get a lot of sympathy. The one who is more popular wins nowadays (for example, if a heart surgerist who saved 50 lives will sit on a bench, and some (is nigga actually an insult? I remember reading somewhere they prefer just 'black ppl' or something) black rappa sits next to him who published one cheap song from the random RnB bull**** generator..Who do you think will be honoured?

Keiko is getting all these funds etc since they seen the animal on ze big screen, the animal gets introduced to mankind and they don't simply want to let it go easily from their ehm..I think I'll stop here to make it at least a bit understandable..

...You lost me. I couldn't make **** from apple butter from that crap. Quit trying to talk on the internet like "ze Germans". Hell, even they speak English better than your ass.

Rumor
12-17-2003, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Eh, don't get sore woman. You've been here longer than I have and I already know not to take very much of anything said here seriously. You know what they say, opinions are like *******s. Everybody has one, and they usually stink. ;)

Point in case.

CapNColostomy
12-17-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by Rumor
Point in case.

Fart in face. You're a "short for Richard." Oh, and it's said "Case in point". Awefull jackass. :rolleyes:

STTCT
12-17-2003, 07:07 AM
Keiko is not a famous whale because everyone thought he was cute!

Keiko was the first whale to be taken from an aquarium and re-introduced into the wild!

He was being mistreated at his home in Mexico, in to small of an aquarium and the movie Free Willy prompted people to take interest in the whale. Then they put pressure on the aquarium and finally the aquarium donated Keiko to them - so they could "Free Willy".

If we caught all the whales and put them in aquariums or ate them, we would disrupt an entire ecosystem. Its about preserving the oceans. There's a reason for these guys to be on this planet and its not so that we can BBQ them. The reason Whales are being saved is because if we keep BBQing them and capturing the ones in the oceans they will become extinct.

I don't honestly know why they burried Keiko either. Buriel at sea would have been fine with me - but I think that they were worried that the publicity etc would mean that people might go get him etc.

STTCT
12-17-2003, 07:10 AM
Oh and I do not appreciate the comment

"Don't get sore woman"

Really? Is gender really an issue here?

CapNColostomy
12-17-2003, 07:11 AM
In my very best Homer Simpson voice: "BBQ whale...*moaning and drooling*"

STTCT
12-17-2003, 07:12 AM
This is a thread about Keiko dying. And some of you turned it into a thread about Whale Burgers. I'm going to leave now - before you guys piss me off anymore.

CapNColostomy
12-17-2003, 07:15 AM
Oh and I do not appreciate the comment

"Don't get sore woman"

Really? Is gender really an issue here?

Hey, I meant no offense. I was only kidding about. I honestly thought you were a woman. My bad. Really, please accept my most sincere and humble appologies.

XERXES
12-17-2003, 08:06 AM
whos Keiko?

*reads thread*

ooh...

*reads Homer quote*

lol

*thinks a bit*

well I thought the movie Free Willie was gay, but oh well. Life goes on...

ET Warrior
12-17-2003, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Hey, I meant no offense. I was only kidding about. I honestly thought you were a woman. My bad. Really, please accept my most sincere and humble appologies.

She IS a woman. I just think some ladies get upset when you refer to them as woman. bleh.

Oh yeah, I think it's hillarious that we have a pacifest/violent/anti-vegetarian/warrior on this forum. Nice mix mang!

Just think, if the US went to war against vegetarians, I'd be the first to enlist :p