PDA

View Full Version : The Return of the King (**Contains Spoilers**)


Jrob
12-17-2003, 08:51 AM
Just saw the return of the king. There were four midnight showings tuesday night /wednesday morning. All were sold out by 7:30 tuesday evening. IMO it is far the best triology movie i have ever seen. For those who have seen it share your thoughts without giving any spoilers to those that have not.

Boba Rhett
12-17-2003, 09:20 AM
I have just returned....

....from the greatest theatrical feat I shall most likely ever live to see! :indif:


Heh, kinda depressing to know that. :D

I'll post a review tomorrow.

Andy867
12-17-2003, 09:54 AM
Even after driving half an hour and waiting an hour in line, I witnessed a masterpiece that is the Lord of the Rings: Return of the King movie. Peter Jackson did an absolute BRILLIANT job in capturing the books and for making this a trilogy that will be watched over and over and enjoyed MANY times over. All the events that led up to the end of the movie were just spectacular. Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Sir Ian McKellen, Dominic Monaghan, Viggo Mortensen, and the rest of the Top Notch crew did a fantastic job capturing the feeling of J.R.R. Tolkien's dream. 2 Thumbs way up. This is definitely THE MUST SEE movie of the year.

Boba Rhett
12-17-2003, 09:57 AM
Shannon begged for spoilers so I had to give her some. here they are.




1. I teared up many many times.

2. There's a scene where huge fire beakons are lit all across a mountain range; Gondor's signal for help. It was one of my favorite scene.

3. "THAT STILL ONLY COUNTS AS ONE!" :D Best Gimli line evar. It happens after Legolas single handedly takes down a giant elephant full of baddies, then lands right in front of an awe struck Gimli.

4. The army of the dead was so very cool. They ferociously swarm in battle.

5. There's SOOOOOOOO much music in it that isn't on the ost. I want an ultimate edition of the ost or something. :D

6. You know ho wthe average movie has a highlight sometime near the end of the movie wear you're like, "WOW!"? RotK is like one of those, over and over and over again.

7. Man there ARE a lot of endings. (Screen goes black for like five seconds then something else comes) :D I didn't mind any of them though.

8. I'm not sure how it got a pg-13 rating. There was extreme violence throughout. Heads being chucked, people being crushed all over the place, blood everywhere, TWO cases of someone being burned to death and much more!

9. When you see Denathor end himself, remember to think of my MST3K line for when he does it.

"Eh, I give the dive a ten but I doubt he'll stick the landing"

Oh how I amuse myself. :D

10. Everyone has lots of screentime.

11. I cannot WAIT for the EE edition for I know it will somehow manage to be even better than this version.



Now Peter, Bring on da Hobbit!

Darth Eggplant
12-17-2003, 11:01 AM
I will not be going until after the holidays are over,
and all youu little hobbits are back in school.
since I read the book I kind of know what's coming.
and having worked in a theater during the holidays
I know how badly theater chains treat their staff,
so I just can't bring myself to add more misery
to what they already go through.
But I do hope you all have enjoyed the trilogy.
If it means some of you will read LOTR for the first time,
Peter's movies will have been worth it.

BongoBob
12-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Heh, fellowship was what got me reading the books. I'm in TTT in "Shelobs Lair".
ok, my things, with spoiler tag...

You weren't the only one who teared many times. I did too.
SWEET JUMPIN JEHOSOPHATS YEEHAW!(soooo stolen from DirecTV commercial :D) This is without a doubt the best movie I have ever seen. Eva. Period.
And yes, the Legolas-Gimli kill coun't rivalry returns, as they are hewing orcs, you hear from both of them just counting.
Rhett, damn you, you put it first!
"That still only counts as one!"-Best. Gimli. Quote. Eva. Period.
Now I want to finish everything, but I have a question for those of you who might know...what is up with them leaving middle earth? Is that like going to heaven or something?

I would not have given it a PG-13, but I'm glad it was because I got to see it :p
And Must. See. Movie. Of the year. No contest. Winner by default. Etc, etc.

|GG|Carl
12-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Rhett, you forgotten:
Saruman was not in the movie at all.
I knew they would cut away some scene with saruman in it, but I didn't know that they would totally delete him.

Maybe he will be in the EE? At least, let's hope so.

Pie™
12-17-2003, 12:09 PM
Oh yeah! I'm seeing it tonight at 8 pm, thats like 6 more hours :D
Originally posted by BongoBob


what is up with them leaving middle earth? Is that like going to heaven or something?

If you read the Silmarillion (Tolkiens best work IMO) you will find out that they are going to the Undying Lands (Valinor) where all the elves are headed... Thats where the "minor gods" or the Valar live... So its kinda like heaven, only that they don't die ;)

obi
12-17-2003, 12:11 PM
:D

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2003/ft031217.gif

Pie™
12-17-2003, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
:D

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/ft/2003/ft031217.gif :lol: gotta love that!:D

the_raven_0_3
12-17-2003, 03:37 PM
I get to see it tonight at 7 and the way it is sounding, I will not be dissappointed.

IG-64
12-17-2003, 04:20 PM
It was so awsome! So awsome! so aw-- ok, i will be posting some pretty big spoilers ahead so remember what a spoiler tag is for, curiosity killed 'da cat

it was really violent, just about everyone in the theatre almost passed out at the shelob part :-p i was not expecting Bilbo, at the end of the movie, to look so FREAKIN' OLD! They went to the very end to the last line in the book "I'm back" they followed the eowyn-merry-witch king part exactly as in the book. Well, i have my pride but.... I almost teared up very many times, I felt sweat dripping at some of the more massive parts, there were some bad 3D parts but it does not blemish the perfection, Andy Serkins got an intro as smegol. So, yes, as morpheous said in the direct-tv commersial, bongo, JUPIN JIHOSEPHET YEEHHAAA!!!

Originally posted by the_raven_0_3
I get to see it tonight at 7 and the way it is sounding, I will not be dissappointed.
You won't be... You won't be

if I was as academy awards person, I would just say "Give them all to RotK"

Boba Rhett
12-17-2003, 11:05 PM
Saruman's scenes have been gauranteed to be in the EE edition, and I'm pretty sure we'll see most of the other stuff you mentioned too! The EE is going to kick so. Much. Arse.

CapNColostomy
12-17-2003, 11:18 PM
It's almost 6 pm central time here. At 7, I'll have my fat fanny planted in an uncomfortable theater seat for 3 hours,unable to get myself anywhere near a cigarette or a can of beer, to watch this thing. I hope it lives up to the hype.

DarkLord60
12-17-2003, 11:24 PM
Holy crap I just got back about 30 min ago and that movie was sweet nuff said.

Elijah
12-18-2003, 12:08 AM
I love every moment of it... Cant really pick a favorit... Gimli and Legolas where my favorit as always, I loved Gimli's quote of Certain death, LIIIIITLE Chance of success... WADDA WE WAITIN" FOR?

Kain
12-18-2003, 01:15 AM
3 words

This
Movie
Owns

Best fantasy novel and best film trilogy EVER.

Miko Reglia
12-18-2003, 03:30 AM
yeah this was one hella great movie

i almost thought it ended 5 times, but they kept making it longer, but it was still cool!:D

CapNColostomy
12-18-2003, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
It's almost 6 pm central time here. At 7, I'll have my fat fanny planted in an uncomfortable theater seat for 3 hours,unable to get myself anywhere near a cigarette or a can of beer, to watch this thing. I hope it lives up to the hype.

It didn't.

Crow_Nest
12-18-2003, 05:01 AM
No fair! Everyone has seen it but me! :mad: And i wont get to see this week either. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Andy867
12-18-2003, 05:09 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
It didn't.

And thats ok, but this movie like all others, isnt for everyone. Like Titanic and Monster's Ball bored the hell out of me. What was funny though was that when they showed the preview for the 2nd mask movie coming out, everyone booed it. :) But most cheered the new Harry potter movie, but I was mad that there was no Spider-Man 2 trailer, even though there was the one for The Punisher.

BongoBob
12-18-2003, 05:27 AM
The EE Will. Fecking. pWN!
:p
I hope it finally wins some good awards :rolleyes:

PS:Am I the only one that thought that the baby baby of sams could've been a little more cute?

Andy867
12-18-2003, 05:36 AM
Well, that 4 yr old girl that sam and Rosie hold is actually Sean Astin's daughter, Alexandria. So, plus not all babies are cute;) Like they said in the behind the scenes for Sam, he is the average person, so average people have average babies for the most part, even when they are with people like Rosie Cotton;) :D

ET Warrior
12-18-2003, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
It didn't.

Funny you should say that....because I came into this movie with the absolute highest hopes and dreams, and they were SHATTERED by the brilliance that is this movie..

I will not say I was brought close to tears. I freakin WEPT during this movie. And not just the sad parts, but the happy parts too

When Aragorn said to the hobbits "You bow to no one" and all the men bowed to them. That was unbelievable

Andy867
12-18-2003, 05:41 AM
that was an awesome scene, and a lot of people cheered in the screen I was at when

Aragorn saw Arwen at Minas Tirith, and grabbed her and landed one right on her

plus a lot of people though that the hobbits in general had great parts in the movie. definitely a tear-jerker.

When aragorn turned down Eowyn, one girl said "Got that right *****, he's mine!!!"

CapNColostomy
12-18-2003, 06:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, it was a good and all. I just thought it'd be REALLY good, since everyone here almost cried...I at no point thought it was THAT good.

The theater I saw it at had the Spiderman 2, and not the Punisher. I hope it's better than the first Punisher was.

Elijah
12-18-2003, 07:08 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
When Aragorn said to the hobbits "You bow to no one" and all the men bowed to them. That was unbelievable Yea, that part gave me some chills, it was awsome

CapNColostomy
12-18-2003, 07:59 AM
the people at the theater I saw it at clapped and cheered when Eowyn beheaded that thing the Witch King was riding, and the part with Legolas taking down the elephant, and the dead army swarm. Buncha nuts...I also saw a guy turn around and act like he was going to ***** slap these teenage guys that talked and farted through the whole thing. I think that was the best part of the movie.

JediNyt
12-18-2003, 08:46 AM
What can I say? I second every praise the movie has gotten and will get. Man I teared up big at the end, so bitter sweet. I liked that the ending was very accurate to the book. Its too bad they had to cut out so much over all, Id have liked it if the movie was 4 hours long and had all the major scenes in it, including Gandalf and Theoden confronting Saruman at Isengard.Anyway regardless, best picture of the year, period! :D

Writer
12-18-2003, 07:23 PM
Gimli: Here is a thing unheard of! An elf will go underground, yet a dwarf dare not... Oh, I'd never hear the end of it!


This movie rocked!!! I'll probably see it several more times before it comes out. And I cried too... I expected my sister to cry, but I surprised myself when I started up.:D

Pie™
12-18-2003, 09:04 PM
IT.FRIGGIN.OWNED

NUFF SAID! :D

Hermie
12-18-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
IT.FRIGGIN.OWNED

NUFF SAID! :D

agreed!:D

Sam Fisher
12-18-2003, 10:11 PM
That is the best. movie. ever! The best parts were the Gimli/Legolas exechanges:p

DarkLord60
12-18-2003, 10:40 PM
I really wanted Frodo to die.

Sam Fisher
12-18-2003, 10:42 PM
WTF IS YOUR PROBLEM!!! Frodo does not die in the books, why should he die in the movie?

Samuel Dravis
12-18-2003, 10:44 PM
That was a great movie. I worst of them all was The Two Towers. They really messed that one up (Faramir). The others were excellent. What's great is that I got an extra ticket for free because of a screwup that made us wait another 30 mins to watch the movie. I'll probably go see it again, because I know there's no other movie that will be half as good as ROTK. :thumbsup:

The ROTK: EE is going to be even better. I'm going to buy that ASAP.

Miko Reglia
12-18-2003, 11:00 PM
i wouldnt say the two towers was the worst of them all...

each movie was made in a specific way, the fellowship of the ring made to sort of develop the characters in a way, the two towers being as a war movie in a way, and return of the king is like a mix of the two...

so like calling two towers the worst one is a bit harsh, i dont know, THE WHOLE TRILOGY WAS FREAKIN GREAT!:D

p.s. this isnt meant to flame ya;)

Samuel Dravis
12-18-2003, 11:16 PM
It being the worst one IMO didn't stop me from buying it the day it came out on DVD... :D I just don't like the way they present Faramir, and how they made him take Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath. That was a major departure from the book. He was supposed to be stronger of will than Boromir, and be able to let the hobbits go.

BongoBob
12-19-2003, 12:17 AM
I wondered that as I read it. I was like, hold on, didn't he take them somewhere by force? And didn't he try to take the ring also? Major changes there.

PS:I borrowed my cousins TTT DVD, and my mom is gonna watch it tonight, and then she's gonna go with me to RotK tomarrow. I wanna see it again!

PPS:Anyone that saw them all, and says that they didn't tear/cry is LYING THEIR ASSES OFF!

CapNColostomy
12-19-2003, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by BongoBob


PPS:Anyone that saw them all, and says that they didn't tear/cry is LYING THEIR ASSES OFF!

Seriously. I liked it, but I never got all weepy once. I never read the books, so I was disapointed about Frodo living, since I hate E. Wood, but that's it. That's as clost to crying as I ever got. Death to E. Wood. Call me a liar if you will.

Alegis
12-19-2003, 10:23 AM
I liked the mvoie, best of 3..But i hated the 'subtility in it'

Like

1. Frodo and sam are in front that gate, climbing up the stairway. Oh guess what stupid orcs, yuou can't see us (dont tell me its the elfish coat
2. the army of orcs is like 'BE QUIET, THEY MAY NOT SEE US!!!! Sshh!! we must come in surprise! But guess what, NOBODY noticed the tower flashing like hell..nice cover
3. the gondor dudes are like 2 meters in front of them, moving from pillar to pillar but no, the orcs dont notice them. especially not when they walk past them. oh god is everyone blind in rotk?
4. the psider. How can a massive thing like that be COMPLETELY silent? On a rocky surface? it's impossible..or frodos gone deaf

In conclusion, in ROTK everyone is blind and deaf

Hermie
12-19-2003, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
It being the worst one IMO didn't stop me from buying it the day it came out on DVD... :D I just don't like the way they present Faramir, and how they made him take Frodo and Sam to Osgiliath. That was a major departure from the book. He was supposed to be stronger of will than Boromir, and be able to let the hobbits go.

its explained with a scene that is added in TTT:EE. where its shows that Boromir is favortized(sp?) by Denethor. it all made sense when I saw that scene.

obi
12-19-2003, 12:08 PM
Man, Denethor was a prick, wasn't he?

Anyway, I can't decide who kicked more butt in this one: Sam, Gandalf, or Aragorn.

Sure Legolas took down an entire oliphant by himself, but thats all he did in the movie just about. =\

Celladur
12-19-2003, 01:27 PM
you read the Silmarillion (Tolkiens best work IMO) you will find out that they are going to the Undying Lands (Valinor) where all the elves are headed... Thats where the "minor gods" or the Valar live... So its kinda like heaven, only that they don't die

Just to show my knowing everything about LOTR and tolkiens works, The gray havens are not part of valinor they are an elven haven.

The origonal valinor is on the other side of Arda.

Samuel Dravis
12-19-2003, 02:39 PM
its explained with a scene that is added in TTT:EE. where its shows that Boromir is favortized(sp?) by Denethor. it all made sense when I saw that scene.

I have the TTT:EE, and I have seen that, but it still does not excuse them departing the book so far with Faramir. That scene was very good though, and should have been put in the theatre version.

Darklighter
12-19-2003, 03:31 PM
I went into the cinema half-expecting it to be just some rushed add-on to an already brilliant series...

...oh, how wrong I was. I was literally spellbounded, amazed, eyes glued to the screen, whatever you wanna call it, it was more than likely the best film I'd ever seen. And I'm not exaggerating.

The whole just had me gripped til the end. I think it was even better that I hadn't read the book, cos I didn't know what was going to happen. And my God, that was some ending o.o It was really, really emotional, which shocked me, cos I could really feel what was going on, they had portrayed it all so well.

They had so much to cram into the last film...and only a LOTR movie could get away with making it 3 hours and 11 minutes long. And thank god it wasn't any shorter...I didn't want it to end. All the characters were portrayed so well...the whole ordeal with Frodo and Sam and Gollum at the end was really touching, and I was hanging off the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen. My favourite bit was when Legolas took down all those orcs and the oliphont, surfed down its trunk...and Gimli goes "That still only counts as one!" The whole theatre errupted in laughter XD Of course, Aragorn IS the man...becoming kickass King man, I thought he did brilliantly. And who doesn't love Gandalf? ^^

Even the long drawn-out ending...I'm sure it went on for about half an hour. I expected people to start talking and walking out...but everyone's gaze was fixed on what was happening on screen. It was amazing, that it had that effect. I admit, I actually got pretty teary on the end parts...it really hits you hard. Even my brother, who is emotionless all the time, was trying to stop the tears from coming XD lol

I for one, and I'm sure many others, came out the cinema with a massive grin on your face and red eyes, lol. Fantastic ending to a fantastic series...they couldn't have possibly made it any better.

Simply the best ^^

Samuel Dravis
12-19-2003, 03:58 PM
Fantastic ending to a fantastic series...they couldn't have possibly made it any better.

Actually they could, but that's what the EE is for! I don't really care how expensive it is! :D Me want ROTK: EE!

Pie™
12-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by Celladur
Just to show my knowing everything about LOTR and tolkiens works, The gray havens are not part of valinor they are an elven haven.

The origonal valinor is on the other side of Arda. yeah, i know that... i just said that from the Grey Havens (which lies in the Gulf Of Lhûn) they sail to Valinor, which is across the sea ;)

IG-64
12-19-2003, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Darklighter
I went into the cinema half-expecting it to be just some rushed add-on to an already brilliant series...

...oh, how wrong I was. I was literally spellbounded, amazed, eyes glued to the screen, whatever you wanna call it, it was more than likely the best film I'd ever seen. And I'm not exaggerating.

The whole just had me gripped til the end. I think it was even better that I hadn't read the book, cos I didn't know what was going to happen. And my God, that was some ending o.o It was really, really emotional, which shocked me, cos I could really feel what was going on, they had portrayed it all so well.

They had so much to cram into the last film...and only a LOTR movie could get away with making it 3 hours and 11 minutes long. And thank god it wasn't any shorter...I didn't want it to end. All the characters were portrayed so well...the whole ordeal with Frodo and Sam and Gollum at the end was really touching, and I was hanging off the edge of my seat waiting to see what was going to happen. My favourite bit was when Legolas took down all those orcs and the oliphont, surfed down its trunk...and Gimli goes "That still only counts as one!" The whole theatre errupted in laughter XD Of course, Aragorn IS the man...becoming kickass King man, I thought he did brilliantly. And who doesn't love Gandalf? ^^

Even the long drawn-out ending...I'm sure it went on for about half an hour. I expected people to start talking and walking out...but everyone's gaze was fixed on what was happening on screen. It was amazing, that it had that effect. I admit, I actually got pretty teary on the end parts...it really hits you hard. Even my brother, who is emotionless all the time, was trying to stop the tears from coming XD lol

I for one, and I'm sure many others, came out the cinema with a massive grin on your face and red eyes, lol. Fantastic ending to a fantastic series...they couldn't have possibly made it any better.

Simply the best ^^

now what are you doing here? Shoo! Shoo! Fly and read the book now fool! You must read it! In this order The Hobbit, The Fellowship, The Two Towers, The Return of the king, And The Silmarillion. Sure to bring you days and days of exitement!

Andy867
12-19-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
Man, Denethor was a prick, wasn't he?

Anyway, I can't decide who kicked more butt in this one: Sam, Gandalf, or Aragorn.

Sure Legolas took down an entire oliphant by himself, but thats all he did in the movie just about. =\

I think Gandalf did some serious butt-kicking as well, like the scene

where he defends Peregrin Took from those Orcs

That was friggin awesome. Definitely showed how a 7,000 yr old White wizard can still lay the smack down.

(thats how old Sir Ian McKellen said Gandalf was during the ROTK Video Game Interview)

Darklighter
12-19-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
now what are you doing here? Shoo! Shoo! Fly and read the book now fool! You must read it! In this order The Hobbit, The Fellowship, The Two Towers, The Return of the king, And The Silmarillion. Sure to bring you days and days of exitement!

I did not make myself clear, obviously: I have read The Hobbit, Fellowship of the Ring and the Two Towers, just not the last two you mentioned. I just meant that it was better that I didn't know the ending, because the anticipation and tension was a lot greater, i.e. I wasn't continually questioning whether it would have been faithful to the book, like I did with the first two films. It being a surprise was a lot more fun, I could judge it as a stand-alone film, as opposed to a book-to-film adaption. Anyways, it was awesome ^^

IG-64
12-19-2003, 09:04 PM
for me, fellowship came out so I read the hobbit then TTT came out wile i was reading the fellowship, then I read TTT and RotK.

so RotK was the only book I read before the movie, now i'm gonna start reading the silmarillion :)

Prime
12-20-2003, 04:39 AM
Kick ass movie...

MennoniteHobbit
12-21-2003, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Kick ass movie...

EXACTLY

I saw the RotK yesterday... What I say to it at the ending was SWEET...
Especially when Aragorn says to Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, "My friends, you bow to no one" and he starts everyone bowing to them. Awesome.

I think it was kind of pathetic how the Men of the Mountain, the ghost people, could hurt everyone but no one could even touch them physically. They did come useful because of that, though.

Denethor was so stupid. He tried to kill Faramir alive, and poured oil all over himself and Faramir. WHAT THE HECK?!? He knew that his only son left was alive yet he wanted to bestow the honor of "being burned a king" unto himself and Faramir. Stupid frick.

oh and btw, if you didn't already know, Ive already read the Hobbit and the Fellowship... i just dont have time to anymore. im stuck reading high-school novels.

Samuel Dravis
12-21-2003, 02:26 PM
Denethor was being influenced by Sauron. Denethor had a palantir, and Sauron had one that he took from Minas Ithil. While Denethor's mind was too strong to control completely, Sauron was able to make the palantir show only what he wanted Denethor to see, ie, massive orc armies.

Darklighter
12-21-2003, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit
Especially when Aragorn says to Frodo, Sam, Merry, and Pippin, "My friends, you bow to no one" and he starts everyone bowing to them. Awesome.

That was the worst for me...in an emotional way...I couldn't hold back the tears for long XP I saw it last night again, and I'd go see it again just for that ending. Truly amazing piece of film ^^;

Andy867
12-21-2003, 06:01 PM
Well thanks to everyone's contribution, ROTK has raked in $73,600,000 for the weekend gross and over $125 mil cumulative:) So as you can see a few people enjoyed it ;) :D Great Job Jackson on a job WELL done.

Neverhoodian
12-21-2003, 06:13 PM
Well, I saw RotK on Friday, and I was blown away! The movie is one of my favorite, if not the favorite, movie I have ever seen!

The audience in the theatre really got into it. There was a collective gasp when Shelob stung Frodo, and a couple of the females out and out screamed.:D There were also many instances when the audience applauded and cheered at parts, like when Eowyn defeats the witch king and Gandalf lays the smackdown on Denethor. :D

"That only counts as one!" :rofl: the whole theatre went into hysterics! An excellent comeback!

I don't know about you, but the sound at my theatre was rather loud. When the Nazgul starked screaming and shrieking at Minas Morgul, it was unbearably loud and high-pitched. I wanted to cover my ears along with the hobbits and Gollum.

I didn't just get teary eyed, I ended up weeping and sobbing at some parts, such as Theoden's death and Frodo's departure. When Sam thinks Frodo is dead after the encounter with Shelob, I started sobbing along with him even though I've already read the book. The movie did an excellent job conveying the character's emotions.

In all, it was a fantastic movie in an already excellent movie trilogy. I used to like Star Wars more than the Lord of the Rings. Now I think they're about even.

IG-64
12-21-2003, 08:06 PM
my theatre had it up extremely loud too, I did the same thing you did.

Zappa_0
12-21-2003, 08:36 PM
I went to see it Thursday night and it was awesome. Did anyone notice the Star Wars ROTJ refference? Also there is a MacBeth refference aswell. And there right together too, it was awesome. I loved everything about the movie especially that Gimly line. Hahahahaha gotta love him!

MennoniteHobbit
12-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Zappa_0
I went to see it Thursday night and it was awesome. Did anyone notice the Star Wars ROTJ refference? Also there is a MacBeth refference aswell. And there right together too, it was awesome. I loved everything about the movie especially that Gimly line. Hahahahaha gotta love him!

What reference??:confused:
Gimli's still a poor misguided fool.
And no, I still don't love him.:cool:

NO offense to people who love anyone in RotK.

Zappa_0
12-22-2003, 01:36 AM
Im talking about the Eowin and the King sequence.

Eowin: I must save you father
King: you already have

And the MacBeth part were Eowin is fighting the Nazgul. The Nazgul says "no man can kill me". And she takes off her helmet and kills him. That is a reffernce to the last fight between Macduff and MacBeth. to the "No man born of a woman can harm me" motif. Macduff wasnt born of a woman, he was torn out of his mothers womb and lived.

Jo
12-22-2003, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit


Denethor was so stupid. He tried to kill Faramir alive, and poured oil all over himself and Faramir. WHAT THE HECK?!? He knew that his only son left was alive yet he wanted to bestow the honor of "being burned a king" unto himself and Faramir. Stupid frick.


you must read the last book, see, he actually wasnt controlled by sauron, he was just insane, didnt know what he was doing. he did the same thing in the books. which is explained more. so, get on those books :D

gorganfloss
12-22-2003, 02:32 AM
Oh great. I come here expecting to hear "Wow, that was a good movie" and you all have to rub it in my face that I haven't seen it yet...

-_-

HertogJan
12-22-2003, 02:49 PM
OMG you haven't seen it yet??!! :o :p


Ah well, the movie was great and I can't wait to buy it on DVD :) Heck, I'm going to watch the first two movies again tomorrow, just to stay in the LotR hype :D

The ending lasted too long though, but I understand 3 of those long movies deserve a long ending too :D Or maybe I just wanted to go because my neck hurts; I was sitting in the 3rd row, looking up to the screen :(


Ooooh those moments when you see Minas Tirith, the big big city, it looks sooo great! Or the nazgûl... The noise, aaaargh!!!

Great great GREAT movie!! I feel really satisfied now, knowing how it ends, don't you?

Samuel Dravis
12-22-2003, 03:38 PM
Now all the need to do is make movies based on the Silmarillion. :D Those would be awesome. Stuff like Fingolfin challenging Morgoth to a duel... They need to do that.

Andy867
12-22-2003, 03:48 PM
Actually, I'd prefer if Jackson were to make "The Hobbit" which he said Is a strong possibility in an interview after the world premiere in Wellington, NZ, back at the beginning of the month. His whole idea was to make the Hobbit, but the major studio that he approached rejected it, saying that $75 million was too much for one movie, etc. So his agent got a hold of a few people at New Line Cinema, and they contacted Jackson and basically said to him that they would offer him +$300 million to make the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. (which I might point out adds up to $100 million PER movie ;) )

Pie™
12-22-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
Now all the need to do is make movies based on the Silmarillion. :D Those would be awesome. Stuff like Fingolfin challenging Morgoth to a duel... They need to do that. no, that wouldn't work... But in a miniseries it would be awesome! like Band Of Brothers... Because there are so many different stories in Silmarillion ;)

toms
12-22-2003, 04:00 PM
Well, i just got back from seeing it and I thought it was pretty damn good, however I couldn't help but be a little bit dissappointed with it in places.

First of all, i thought this movie managed to pull off the great feat of making a 3hr plus movie not seem long at all.
In fact my housemate who hated the first one ("Bored of the rings") and refused to watch the second one said even she thought it didn't feel long.

I thought that almost all the Frodo/Sam/Gollum stuff was brilliant, exactly as I pictured it. Gollum deserves the best actor oscar, and i went from disliking sam to feeling sorry for him when he was left behind. THe only minor thing that i thought was a bit poor was the ease and speed with which they crossed mordor (and sam got into the orc tower), but i guess they cut stuff for pacing.

My only real problems with it were as follows:

(a) Chistopher Lee cut out. Enough has been said about this already, but surely they could have put in 30 seconds of him shaking his fist from the balcony or something.

(b) The battle for Gondor... i thought this was a big disappointment. The SFX were fine, but it seemed too quick and easy and they just didn't seem to have the pacing (or the sense of despair that was in TT. They didn't make much use of the dramatics that could of come from the orcs taking the city LEVEL by LEVEL, and they completely and utterly wasted the arrival of the black ships... in the books everyone despairs, as just as they think they have won the black ships arrive. In the movie they pace this all wrong. (a few more people shouting "The black ships!!!" wouldn't have hurt).

(c) Eoywn? Faramir? Where did they go?? They really should have had some of the hospital scenes with aragorn curing these two, and them seeing each other. As it was they just disappeared from the plot (silly when they were such big characters). It would also have given a nice break between battles, and linked in with the Aragorn/Sam healing frodo scene from FOTR.

(d) The attack on the black gate. This was seriously a bit naff. It was way too quick, they needed more about how Aragorn was trying to convince sauron (and his gatekeeper) that HE HAD THE RING, and that that was why he was so arogant as to attack mordor. Would one "My Precious" from aragorn have been too much???? They also could have played up the desperation of the effort, emphasising how few of them there were, and having them all wounded and so on. Oh, and when the whole of mordor emptied, it wasn't very many people at all.

(e) Too many endings. Ok, so most of them were needed, but people started getting restless, and the last one with sam was pointless. They should have ended it with the ship sailing off into the sunset (and the 3 ringbrearers aving goodbye, the sun catching their rings).

Ok, that sounds all negative, but appart from those things it was great. Eowyn rocked, gandalf remained great, the hobbits got to do more stuff. Loved it, but FOTR is still my favorite of the trilogy.

In conclusion, i thought it was an excellent film, with a few amazingly badly done sections that you wouldn't think were done by the same director.
---

PS, hang on, they never found denethor's Palantir did they???

Samuel Dravis
12-22-2003, 04:15 PM
In the book Denethor had the palantir when he burned himself to death. Anyone trying to use it afterwards would only see a pair of old hands burning unless they had great strength of will to turn it to what they wanted to see.

Andy867
12-22-2003, 04:26 PM
Actually, if any of you saw the ROTK animated version back in the 80s, you would see that there werent really "alternate endings" as announced by Associated Press, etc. Its just a big epilogue of tying up the loose ends.

Samuel Dravis
12-22-2003, 04:29 PM
Don't speak of the 'animated' LOTR. It was totally worthless, with bad animation to boot.

t3rr0r
12-22-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
I don't know about you, but the sound at my theatre was rather loud. When the Nazgul starked screaming and shrieking at Minas Morgul, it was unbearably loud and high-pitched. I wanted to cover my ears along with the hobbits and Gollum.
that's what made those sequences so much cooler. :D

BawBag™
12-22-2003, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
Now all the need to do is make movies based on the Silmarillion. :D Those would be awesome. Stuff like Fingolfin challenging Morgoth to a duel... They need to do that.
Hmmm, nah. The Silmarillion took ages to actually settle into and was written in a completely different narrative (or some such). Plus it was rather boring. *shrugs*

Anyway I think these 3 films have accomplished more than any movies made in my lifetime. :)
I wouldn't honestly see any need to make even the Hobbit. ;)
(Except more money.........)

Andy867
12-22-2003, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
Don't speak of the 'animated' LOTR. It was totally worthless, with bad animation to boot.

Who cares about the animation, as long as the story was true to the book. Look at todays animation, it sucks worse than it did back in the 80's. Even with today's technology, they make the people looked screwed up worse than the hunchback of notre dame.

Tyrion
12-22-2003, 05:11 PM
Toms, two words; Expanded DVD.

I'm sure they couldnt fit all those scenes into the movie, they were already pushing it as it was.

Samuel Dravis
12-22-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by BawBag™
Hmmm, nah. The Silmarillion took ages to actually settle into and was written in a completely different narrative (or some such). Plus it was rather boring. *shrugs*
I disagree that it was boring, and took ages to settle into, but I'm not really into flame wars, so I guess you can get away with that. ;)

Anyway I think these 3 films have accomplished more than any movies made in my lifetime. :)
There's a true statement if I ever heard one.

Originally posted by Andy867
Who cares about the animation, as long as the story was true to the book. Look at todays animation, it sucks worse than it did back in the 80's. Even with today's technology, they make the people looked screwed up worse than the hunchback of notre dame.
I think that they could have made the animation a bit better, don't you? Story is the most important aspect of a movie I'll admit, but presentation is right after it. It really degrades a show if one of them is totally missing.

IG-64
12-22-2003, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by toms
i went from disliking sam to feeling sorry for him and the last one with sam was pointless.

how could you dislike Sam Gamgee? :D That last ending was in the book, how could they have possibly cut that out? That was the last part of the whole trilogy: "I'm back"

I thought the funniest part was actually Sam's line of "And this is for my old gaffer!" because it was so unexpected and so like Sam. The jokes with gimli were so obvious to me, I don't know why but I just saw them coming and didn't think it was that funny (altho it did make me chuckle a bit :p). One thing people laughed at both times I saw it was the part where Theoden looks up at Eowen and suddenly has that WTF? look on his face :p.

BawBag™
12-22-2003, 06:34 PM
I found Sam to be my favourite character from the books - apart from the fact Tolkien always made him "burst into tears" =/
:)

MennoniteHobbit
12-22-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by toms
(e) Too many endings. Ok, so most of them were needed, but people started getting restless, and the last one with sam was pointless. They should have ended it with the ship sailing off into the sunset (and the 3 ringbrearers aving goodbye, the sun catching their rings).
Wait a minute... I just remembered that I left the movie a minute earlier in the ending... tell me more about the three ringbearers.

IG-64
12-22-2003, 06:56 PM
you left a minute early? :tsk:

DarkLord60
12-22-2003, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit
Wait a minute... I just remembered that I left the movie a minute earlier in the ending... tell me more about the three ringbearers. Agreed, I can't say how many times I thought it was over. I've never encountered a movie ending such as long as this one lol.

Darklighter
12-22-2003, 09:43 PM
Dammit, the ending was the best part of the whole film. The reason it was so long was to completely resolve the plot, to give a definite sense of closure to the whole trilogy. And toms, I'm sure they considered every section of the book very carefully...I mean the attention to detail is incredible. But come on, in the last film they had to get through 1 1/2 books (as a lot of the TTT in the books is in the ROTK film, like Shelob); it was bad enough them having to announce it would be over 3 hours long, any more would have been just too much for a movie (though I wouldn't have complained XD).

Though Tyrion is right, I'm sure all the "missing scenes" shall be unveiled come the Extended DVD release ^_~

IG-64
12-22-2003, 11:07 PM
I thought the white tree was gonna be bigger and prettier, I must have missed something

Pie™
12-22-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
I thought the white tree was gonna be bigger and prettier, I must have missed something I think it was because of the dark times, and that it symbolised the end of Mankind (if i remember correctly)... I also think it had something to do with the madness of Denethor, and the growing power of Sauron...

MennoniteHobbit
12-23-2003, 12:08 AM
Well, MO about the tree is who cares. Just a tree that symbolized a fallen Gondor until Aragorn finally agreed to become its King, uniting it.

IG-64
12-23-2003, 01:36 AM
who cares about the tree? The tree is a huge concept in LotR. What do you think is on all of the shields? where do you think the palantirs came from?

Writer
12-23-2003, 02:02 AM
Joe,

Galadriel, Gandalf, and Elrond are the keepers of the three elven rings. The rings went with them over the sea.

As for the tree, it shriveled up and died when the last king of Gondor died. Then Aragorn came along and planted a new one in its place.

A little fun fact about that old tree, they buried it, rather than burning it.:D

IG-64
12-23-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by wildjedi
As for the tree, it shriveled up and died when the last king of Gondor died. Then Aragorn came along and planted a new one in its place.

My brother tld me that the other day, I had forgot when I posted :o

Andy867
12-23-2003, 03:49 AM
Well, just saw ROTK for the 2nd time, and my neck hurts.. Went to the 2:45pm show and it was packed. G/f and I had to sit in the 2nd row from the VERY VERY front, which was only like 20ft from the actual screen itself. but it was awesome to see again. My girlfriend and her brother, who was in town on military leave, absolutely loved it. And I loved it even more because they asked me all kinds of questions last night, and I said I couldnt say anything, so they were under the impression that what they asked was right, because of my smirk, but in reality, I had fooled them completely:)

CapNColostomy
12-23-2003, 04:42 AM
Speaking of hurt, did anyone else feel like a part of their ass had died by the time it was over? If it weren't for smoke breaks, I might have left a piece of me in the theater that night.

Samuel Dravis
12-23-2003, 05:07 AM
The EE had better have the part where Gandalf and Aragorn find the tree sapling at the top of the mountain.

RoxStar
12-23-2003, 05:09 AM
Peter Jackson could make millions if he net movie was Telletubbies: The Battle for Tinky-Winky-Whatever-Land.

Andy867
12-23-2003, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Speaking of hurt, did anyone else feel like a part of their ass had died by the time it was over? If it weren't for smoke breaks, I might have left a piece of me in the theater that night.

Nope, my ass was just fine actually. I had no problem sitting through the entire movie either time, or the Two Towers EE or the FOTR EE or TTT or FOTR. (guess I am getting used to long, kick ass movies)

Samuel Dravis
12-23-2003, 05:13 AM
Now we're back to the short, lame movies. I certainly didn't have any problem watching it.

ExcelsioN
12-23-2003, 09:45 AM
Ok, I saw the film yesterday and I can safely say that its a great film. I'll go over what my favourite part was first:

In the battle of Minas Tirith when the Witch King says 'No man can defeat me!'. Then Merry stabs him in the back, and Eowyn takes off her helmet and says 'I am no man' and kills him.

P.S. The Witch King pwnz! He's my fav character by far, even though he dosen't have very many lines. His mask and all is just too cool. So my av has changed.

Now the bad bits:

What toms said about them cutting out Christopher Lee. In the book, the Scouring of the Shire was one of my fav parts. Also, they could have made the Battle of Minas Tirith (or is it Gondor?, same thing I guess) seem more atmospheric, like they did with Helms Deep.

Hopefully the film will convince even more people to read the books and then they'll find what they were missing out on. LOTR is both my fav film and my fav book. :D

Pie™
12-23-2003, 01:45 PM
anyone but me thought that Bilbo looked like a Ugnaught at the end of the movie? :D

Creepy :eek:

and, no, my ass is still fine, and i never had any smoke breaks :D

ExcelsioN
12-23-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
anyone but me thought that Bilbo looked like a Ugnaught at the end of the movie? :D

I didn't think that at the time (I wasn't thinkin about JK), but he definetly did. What with the wrinkles and beard and all...

Andy867
12-23-2003, 06:50 PM
After seeing the film a 2nd time, I thought that Bilbo from the back as he is walking towards the ship heading to Valinor, looked like one of those trolls from Harry Potter or whatever they are, from like The Sorceror's Stone especially because of the height and white hair and how it was "styled".

Samuel Dravis
12-24-2003, 03:02 AM
Heh. I thought he looked like an orc. ;)

RoxStar
12-24-2003, 03:08 AM
Originally posted by Andy867
After seeing the film a 2nd time, I thought that Bilbo from the back as he is walking towards the ship heading to Valinor, looked like one of those trolls from Harry Potter or whatever they are, from like The Sorceror's Stone especially because of the height and white hair and how it was "styled".
Thats Exaclty what I was thinking. Do you think that they had the same makeup artists for both movies?

Captain Wilson
12-24-2003, 08:49 PM
ive heard that the shire has been filmed and will be on the EE. The BBC can do somethings :D.

The filmed did indeed rock. The rigwraths, witch king and their fell beasts were far the best parts of the film. I liked the opened a lot to.
And the big speech thedon gives.
but strangly i never cried in it and niether did anyone near me in the cinima. But most of the crowd did break into appullues :D
also gollum = terminator 2

BCanr2d2
12-27-2003, 10:02 AM
Excelsion,

In the book it is referred to as The Battle Of Pellanor(sp?) Field, rather than anything to do with Minas Tirith. It seemed to lack a bit from what I expected in the book.

Oh, and for the White Tree in Minas Tirith, somehow a sapling grows where the old tree had been. That somehow a seed had fallen, and happend to break through after the defeat of Sauron.

Only thing I have to say is WAY too many reviewers wouldn't know the different between a Ringwraith and a Nazgul. Can't beleive how many times I heard these terms being interchanged as if they were the same thing.


No Saruman??? Makes the Galadriel's Mirror scene totally worthless in FOTR, since this is what it is meant to represent, his occupation of The Shire.

I also agree with the "supposed" ease of crossing the plains of Mordor, even a two or three minute scene where they had to convince other orcs they were "real" orcs would've pleased me.

All in all, a great movie, but I hope any things I didn't like about the movie will be resolved in the 20 hour (OK, 4 to 4/12 hrs will do) EE of ROTK!!

I think I have a new trilogy to rest along Star Wars as the best ever IMHO

Tyrion
12-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
Only thing I have to say is WAY too many reviewers wouldn't know the different between a Ringwraith and a Nazgul. Can't beleive how many times I heard these terms being interchanged as if they were the same thing.

Arent they the same thing? I thought that the Nazgul were after the Ring, thus getting the common name of "Ringwraith".

Of course, I havent read the books yet, so please educate if I am wrong.

IG-64
12-27-2003, 12:12 PM
They are the same thing

Nazul, Black Riders, Ringwraiths; They are all the same thing

HertogJan
12-27-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
They are the same thing

Nazul, Black Riders, Ringwraiths; They are all the same thing

That's what I though :) I could be wrong though, I'm reading the Dutch translated version of LotR :D

IG-64
12-27-2003, 12:36 PM
I'm sure there wern't 18 mortal men :¬:

BCanr2d2
12-27-2003, 02:24 PM
My bad, I thought the Winged Beasts had a proper name, and that was Nazgul....

Stupid me!!

Andy867
12-27-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by BCanr2d2
My bad, I thought the Winged Beasts had a proper name, and that was Nazgul....

Stupid me!!

If you remember back to Fellowship of the Ring, Frodo asks Strider what those creatures are and he replied: They were once men. Great kings of men. Then Sauron the deceiver gave to them nine rings of power. Blinded by their greed, they took them without questioning, one by one, falling to darkness. Now they are slaves to his will. They are the Nazgul. Ring wraiths. Neither living nor dead. At all times they feel the presence of the Ring. Drawn to the power of the One. They will never stop hunting you.


(I kind of took that out of memory so dont get at me if I messed up a phrase or word or got them out of order)

The_One
12-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Bit of confusion here, let me help...

Ringwraiths are "mortal men doomed to die". When they leave Mordor they "disguise themselves" - in LOTR they disguise themselves as riders in black.

Nazgul, literally means "Ringwraith" - "Nazg"=ring, "gul"=wraith. When the two words are placed together, one "g" is dropped. You can figure this out from the "one ring to rule them all" speech, if heard spoken in the black tongue it reads "Ash nazg durbatuluk" etc.

The winged creatures the Ringwraiths ride are known as "Fell Beasts". The King Ringwraith, Lord of the Nazgul is known as the "Witch King of Angmar".

There are many other names not mentioned in the films, but it is important not to get these all confused, as they mean different things, and some the same...

Pie™
12-27-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Bit of confusion here, let me help...

Ringwraiths are "mortal men doomed to die". When they leave Mordor they "disguise themselves" - in LOTR they disguise themselves as riders in black.

Nazgul, literally means "Ringwraith" - "Nazg"=ring, "gul"=wraith. When the two words are placed together, one "g" is dropped. You can figure this out from the "one ring to rule them all" speech, if heard spoken in the black tongue it reads "Ash nazg durbatuluk" etc.

The winged creatures the Ringwraiths ride are known as "Fell Beasts". The King Ringwraith, Lord of the Nazgul is known as the "Witch King of Angmar".

There are many other names not mentioned in the films, but it is important not to get these all confused, as they mean different things, and some the same... Listen to the guy ;)
If anyone think that's confusing, don't even attempt to read the Silmarillion, as it's packed with these names... ;)

IG-64
12-27-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Bit of confusion here, let me help...

Ringwraiths are "mortal men doomed to die". When they leave Mordor they "disguise themselves" - in LOTR they disguise themselves as riders in black.

Nazgul, literally means "Ringwraith" - "Nazg"=ring, "gul"=wraith. When the two words are placed together, one "g" is dropped. You can figure this out from the "one ring to rule them all" speech, if heard spoken in the black tongue it reads "Ash nazg durbatuluk" etc.

The winged creatures the Ringwraiths ride are known as "Fell Beasts". The King Ringwraith, Lord of the Nazgul is known as the "Witch King of Angmar".

There are many other names not mentioned in the films, but it is important not to get these all confused, as they mean different things, and some the same...

Finally! Thank you.

More examples of this are: Barad Dur=The Dark Tower Orthanc=The Tower of Isenguard Strider=Aragorn Mithrandir=Gandalf Anduril=Narsil (Technically. Aduril is Narsil remade) and if you really know nothing about LotR, The Presious=The Ring The Enemy=Sauron The White Wizard=Saruman (or Gandalf in TTT) Knickers=Pants :p

hope that helps

The_One
12-28-2003, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
The White Wizard=Saruman (or Gandalf in TTT)

Essentially, it is only Gandalf. This is because, in the books, Saruman becomes "Saruman of many colours", dropping the 'colour' of white.

Saruman was the highest in the wizard order, and Gandalf the second. Once Saruman abandoned white, and then when Gandalf later reveals his own white to Saruman, he technically becomes head of the order.

But, even Tolkien gets his knickers in a twist sometimes ;)

IG-64
12-28-2003, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by The_One
Essentially, it is only Gandalf. This is because, in the books, Saruman becomes "Saruman of many colours", dropping the 'colour' of white.

Saruman was the highest in the wizard order, and Gandalf the second. Once Saruman abandoned white, and then when Gandalf later reveals his own white to Saruman, he technically becomes head of the order.

But, even Tolkien gets his knickers in a twist sometimes ;)

Oh, ok, learn somethin' new everyday

CapNColostomy
12-28-2003, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
anyone but me thought that Bilbo looked like a Ugnaught at the end of the movie? :D

Creepy :eek:

and, no, my ass is still fine, and i never had any smoke breaks :D

I only took one smoke break the second time I went to see it! Now if I can just quit altogether...

IG-64
12-28-2003, 05:24 AM
you took a smoke break during RotK? Shame

CapNColostomy
12-28-2003, 07:23 AM
Yeah, but just one. And only in a part I knew I'd seen. The first time I went to see it, I took three.

IG-64
12-28-2003, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Yeah, but just one. And only in a part I knew I'd seen. The first time I went to see it, I took three.

...That's even worse! Boy, you need to get off smoking, badly