PDA

View Full Version : A fading hate for jk3files server

theguyincorner
12-20-2003, 06:17 AM
Well, let me start by saying I hated servers like jk3files with honour and such. That is why I have always played on chop shop exclusivly. I used to go to jk3files and end up standing around while people talked. And when it was actual ffa it was just repeated spam moves. Mind you I obeyed all the rules because I know everyone has there thing they like. Ok ok! on to why I had a change of heart this evening... well morning. You see I went there again for no good reason (probobly just looking for something to whine about) but what I found was people dueling on that bonus 1 map thats the gas mines. And MAN that was fun! I can now see how people would do that all day. So I guess I will be frequenting there more often. And I suggest to anyone else who hated it as much as me to just give it another chance. So I will be there much more often, though I will always stay loyal to chop shop ;-)

TK-8252
12-20-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by theguyincorner
Well, let me start by saying I hated servers like jk3files with honour and such. :cry6:

but what I found was people dueling on that bonus 1 map thats the gas mines. And MAN that was fun! I can now see how people would do that all day. So I guess I will be frequenting there more often. And I suggest to anyone else who hated it as much as me to just give it another chance. So I will be there much more often Yay!!!!! :bounce1:

Kurgan
12-20-2003, 07:26 AM
Well, I've been with the community since JK1, ie: nearly 6 years. I gave up on "honor" back in 1998.

We had an excuse back then, because the Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith games simply weren't setup to allow a one on one saber duel with no interferance. I got bored of dueling then and focused on the other gametypes, using all force powers and all weapons.

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy, even wholly apart from admin mods, are fully capable of supporting one on one duels with no interferance and level playing field.

Thus honor codes become extraneous data that gets in the way, by attempting to turn all gametypes into a duel.

See, it's fine when you're first starting out and don't know the game. The learning curve for the Jedi Knight series is frustrating and often intimidating for new players. Thus by limiting themselves to only a few moves and very strict conditions, it can allow them to practice and get better without breaking their pride down too much.

But, once you get to a certain point you have one of two choices

1) Move on and continue to learn the rest of the game (ie: Full Force, all weapons)

or

2) Stay in gameplay limbo, let your skills stagnate as you only play saber to saber using "honor codes."

So do you stop learning and allow yourself to stagnate, or do you continue on, while taking off the "training wheels" (honor code) and reach new heights of skill and knowledge of the game?

As a tool to start learning, the honor code might have a use, but the fact is that many players take this and apply it as a philosophy of the game itself, and apply it to everyone and every server.

This simply limits their own potential as players and it limits everyone else to 1% of the multiplayer component of the game.

It's like playing "catch" vs. playing the sport of football.

Some people link the idea of "dueling" with "honor." I think this is a false connection. The concept of dueling can exist apart from honor and be quite fun.

I think that the honor codes, if they have any use, are merely a beginning of learning, not the end of it.

That is why I am against them, because their adherents apply option #2, which not only limits their enjoyment of the game, but limits the enjoyment of everyone else.

And it shortens the life of the community overall. People get bored and move on to other games, when the series has a lot more to offer than one on one dueling, especially a dueling atmosphere as limited as that with honor codes.

Honor duels can be "fun" but for veterans of the games (who've seen what's possible), there's just so much more that can be offered, that it feels limited and boring.

Crow_Nest
12-20-2003, 07:34 AM
yeah, gas mine is fun. :cool: Push people off.

Btw, saw you in the server just now. :)

theguyincorner
12-20-2003, 05:00 PM
The thing is all I've done since I got mad about jk2 honour was play as hard and competitive as I can on all game types. It was interesting to return to the thing I hate and somehow enjoy it. I think it's nice to have servers like this where you can have a diffrent kind of fun. I just thought I'd share how I finaly saw it from the other perspective. Also I prefer dueling in ffa on an honour server to an actual duel server, because you can jump around and have a jolly ol time instead of sitting as a spectator. Up untill now I had only seen the bad that comes from these types of servers. So I think for me atleast a server like that can be a welcome break from the frustration of playing ultra competitive everytime I connect to a server.

Yeah I saw you too crow nest :D

GothiX
12-20-2003, 05:21 PM
Chop Shop/MeatGrinder > All.

TK-8252
12-20-2003, 08:54 PM
Chop Shop > Meatgrinder

Mex
12-20-2003, 09:30 PM
I used to lame like heck, I went on the [DJC] server and owned everybody in there until I got banned. Permanently.

But now I've learned every move, every tactic and so on so I just use the honor code. I hate getting banned from servers! :o

Sam Fisher
12-20-2003, 10:18 PM
Me, I was kicked only once (in all the games I've played) and that was when I was killing this clan's top saberists... weird..

Alegis
12-21-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
yeah, gas mine is fun. :cool: Push people off.

Btw, saw you in the server just now. :)

that map is the best map for fragfests if you disable push and pull, i've had 2 sleepless nights with the gas map behind my back believe me that map rocks. Excellent for duelling and weapons, you just need to disable push and pull

Crow_Nest
12-21-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
that map is the best map for fragfests if you disable push and pull, i've had 2 sleepless nights with the gas map behind my back believe me that map rocks. Excellent for duelling and weapons, you just need to disable push and pull

Nah, I like pushing people off.

Originally posted by Sam Fisher
Me, I was kicked only once (in all the games I've played) and that was when I was killing this clan's top saberists... weird..

Heh, those 10 year old admins, im not surprise. Happend to almost everyone. But not me :p

Sarah J
12-21-2003, 12:22 PM
i played on this server, mainly to test my ping because i was thinking of renting a server from the same providers, and i was playing, had lots of fun, i was playing and not chating, and i thought it was great because no1 was crying lamer all the time, then i noticed i had public chat disabled so i could only hear team chats in team games, but i still didnt hear any abuse or whining, i had fun

Side
12-21-2003, 12:29 PM
i luv that map with any mod that enable kick,

pull/push kick a out of the way:Priceless then get called a kicking noobs

AxVegetA
12-21-2003, 07:05 PM
Yeah i hate jk3files too.

When i first played there i got kicked/baned for ****** everybodys ass, and those **** of tmbj began baning my ips just because they saw me in. Some *** even took pics of me laming him and sent it to shroomduck and he baned me. But now is even worst, cause they have those admin *** comands (sleep, slap, silence).

[ Edit: Please refrain from flames to get your point across. ]

Three days ago, in shroomsdeathstar, one of the regular players there autoproclamated owner of the machine that spawns troopers. when i try to use it, he atempted to kill me, so i **** his ass. Then 2 other noobs around there saw that and tryed to kill me, so i killed them both. They yelled lamer lamer, and after that the whole map hated me and started chasing me. It was a bunch of noobs using drain, grip and pull against me, i killed some, but then someone griped me without force and some other one kated me. I switched to lightside and pwned them all. Then some *** of TMBJ joined the game, they said i was a lamer and told him to ban me, and he did. SOOOOOOOOO GAYYYYYYYYYY

Yesterday i went there under a diferent name and flawlessled the ****ing shroomduck in a duel, then i show him my name, and quited before he could kick/ban me. =P

[ Edit: Consider yourself warned, refrain from insulting people and calling them names. Disagree all you want, but remember that this board has rules. You can make your point without resulting to personal insults and slurs. ]

Rad Blackrose
12-21-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by TK8252MJL
Chop Shop > Meatgrinder

Gee, I wonder why.

/rainbowtroutslap

Squee-sithguy
12-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by AxVegetA
When i first played there i got kicked/baned for raping everybodys ass
I can see why, not even criminals like rapists :p

ExcelsioN
12-21-2003, 08:29 PM
I play only on Chop shop. No honor, no annoying move spammers, no lag (for me). I once played on the JK3 files server, but I got kicked for rolling and stabbing some looser who was taunting. But, the looser was the admin. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Kurgan
See, it's fine when you're first starting out and don't know the game. The learning curve for the Jedi Knight series is frustrating and often intimidating for new players.

I just play through the single player in jedi master difficulty, no cheats. That trains you up well for multiplayer. I guess the honor people are the type who play through SP with cheats and hacks, before going on to get annoyed when someone kills them because they forget they don't have god mode on.

Master William
12-21-2003, 09:10 PM
Hmm, all the best servers are always american. I of course don't enter them because of the 120+ pings I get on them. Too bad, though. Makes it even harder to play with americans.

MasteR PudsLiG
12-21-2003, 09:55 PM
I'm ordering a UK server on wednesday, it will run xmod2 and it will have no rules, it will be saber only - and i can only afford 10 slots for now, if the server is active i will pay more for 12 slots, but there will be a europian fun server comming soon. The only gameplay change i will enable is flipkick, the rest will be defaulted exept for g_forceregentime, that will be a bit faster, and the profanity filter will be enabled, hopfully it will be up soon.

Amidala from Chop Shop
12-21-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Master William
Hmm, all the best servers are always american. I of course don't enter them because of the 120+ pings I get on them. Too bad, though. Makes it even harder to play with americans.

Master William, ping is not as important in regular FFA and CTF as it is in Dueling and Instagib (not saying it's not important, just not as important). I have regular players from Scandanavia, most Western and Central European countries, Australia, Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, South America, etc. who play with pings in the 200s all the time, and often do very well. In fact, one of the top players is from Finland and always has a ping in the 200s, but it doesn't stop him from owning people with much lower pings.

Even in Instagib, I have a regular player from Germany (female too BTW) who does very well (looking right now, her ping is 211).

Don't worry about ping so much, you're missing out on a lot of fun servers (not just mine, either).

Master William
12-21-2003, 10:25 PM
Nice, Pudslig! Hope to see it up soon. We had fun today on my server, hehe

theguyincorner
12-22-2003, 02:34 AM
AxVegeta, every post I've seen from you has been you bragging about things that are most likely not true. Why don't you make so demos of your "ownage" and prove all those things. I know none of your insults were at all directed towards me but I can't stand people who act like that.

Druid Bremen
12-22-2003, 04:34 AM
AxVegeta, every post I've seen from you has been you bragging about things that are most likely not true. Why don't you make so demos of your "ownage" and prove all those things. I know none of your insults were at all directed towards me but I can't stand people who act like that.

Ditto. :D

Everyone that hangsout there is a GAY noob.

A very..... Uncivilised comment.

Originally posted by AxVegeta
SOOOOOOOOO GAYYYYYYYYYY

That too.

Now, I don't mind others having different opinions, but those comments were extremely offensive.

TK-8252
12-22-2003, 04:42 AM
Everyone that hangsout there is a GAY noob. This offends me, and I'll be reporting you for that. Look at my sig.

When i first played there i got kicked/baned for raping everybodys ass, and those fags of tmbj began baning my ips just because they saw me in. Some fag even took pics of me laming him and sent it to shroomduck and he baned me. But now is even worst, cause they have those admin gay comands (sleep, slap, silence). We don't allow laming there. Get used to it, you broke the rules, so you were banned. And no we do not have a slap command. Perhaps you should think before speaking.

Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
/rainbowtroutslap :confused:

Originally posted by Excelsion
I once played on the JK3 files server, but I got kicked for rolling and stabbing some looser who was taunting. But, the looser was the admin. :rolleyes: Umm... you would not have been kicked for that. You are one confused person.

ExcelsioN
12-22-2003, 08:08 AM
:confused:

Umm... you would not have been kicked for that. You are one confused person.

Well I certainly got kicked less than 5 secs after that. I'll just assume it was for.....something else.;)

Jedi Luke
12-22-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
I have regular players from Scandanavia, most Western and Central European countries, Australia, Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, South America, etc. who play with pings in the 200s all the time, and often do very well.

Thank you Amidala :D. Yes lower pings do help the player but it's all in the skill of the player, there are some days where players from all over the world with high pings are just constantly owning. The reason is because players just have skill.

AxVegetA
12-22-2003, 09:11 AM

Most likely not true? ROFL
Well ask shroomduck if you dont believe me, or that TK guy, he is an admin there i guess. I will record demos from now on.
Ill search for you JE REd, youll be my first demo.

[ Edit: Unnecessary flame deleted. ] then druidbremen is either allanon or bremen from JSr, some nooby clan i own, and they know that. And i dont really know who migh tu be, but you must be another noob that hangs out there.

I went to jk3files a couple of hours ago, and killed the duck 8 times, he none, some were lames, some were one on one.

[ Edit: Flames Deleted. Please refrain from insults to get your point across. ]

AxVegetA
12-22-2003, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Rad Blackrose
Gee, I wonder why.

/rainbowtroutslap
:confused: wtf does this means?

FK | unnamed
12-22-2003, 09:22 AM
heh, good to see somebody took up my time honored tradition of jk2files.com harassment.

Crow_Nest
12-22-2003, 11:16 AM
AxVegetA, cut the insaults theres no need for it.

TK-8252
12-22-2003, 08:41 PM

Most likely not true? ROFL
Well ask shroomduck if you dont believe me, or that TK guy, he is an admin there i guess. No, see, you didn't "own" ShroomDuck, you chat-killed him. Chat-killing someone doesn't mean you "owned" him. So be quiet.

That guy TK is an admin *** *** honor noob Yay I get to report you to the moderators AGAIN! :bounce1:
-[LC] TK-8252

I went to jk3files a couple of hours ago, and killed the duck 8 times, he none, some were lames, some were one on one. Hard to believe you killed him eight times because I only remember you killing him once in a CHAT-KILL and then for the rest of your time there you were in amsleep and amsilence. We were having some FUN with you!

FACE IT fagets, you all suck. Well you're the one who has to chat-kill people to score points. :roleyess:

Oh, yeah, and all the vulgar language only proves how low your intellegence is.

g//plaZma
12-22-2003, 09:30 PM
Despite the complete stupidity of Vegeta, this thread just made me chuckle at the jk3files newbies. And I thought their rules list for their JK2 server was funny (banning gk). "OH NOZ!!!!!111 GRIP-KICK=INVINCIBLE + I DUNNO HOW 2 USE TEH PUSH/PULL BUTTON!!!!!1111ONEONE"

Side
12-22-2003, 09:49 PM
I like to backstab people while their chatting , then get my ass chased , grip+lunge them one by one , and finaly get banned

Yay I get to report you to the moderators AGAIN! :bounce1:
-[LC] TK-8252

OMGZ TEACHER! HE GOT A CAP ON HIS HEAD INSIDE THE SCHOOL!

theguyincorner
12-22-2003, 11:07 PM
The point of this thread wasn't to generate hate or sympathy for jk3 files. I wanted to show how I was completly opposed to that kind of server and my view has changed. So give things a chance even if you didn't like them last time maybe it will be better this time. Then I got sidetracked because that ****** kid started talking crap.

everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but you should really look at it from the other side thoroughly before you formulate your opinion and start preaching. There is good and bad on servers where you play and servers with honor rules. So if you don't like the honor rules then don't play there. and if you don't like playing the game, then go to an honor server! Why does a concept so simple have to be surounded by so many arguments? I just don't get it.

Kurgan
12-22-2003, 11:44 PM
If the game-ruining "honor" codes weren't so infectiously propagandistic, nobody would care enough to rant about them on here...

The sad fact is that their popularity diminishes the fun to be had in the community (except for that relatively small minority that finds them enjoyable, such as yourself).

And well-meaning or not, the proponents of the honor code are very aggressive in promoting their systems to the expulsion of all others in the servers...

They don't keep their honor codes confined to their own servers, and there is no "standard" code either, yet many adherents to a "code" assume that everyone knows it, and they are quite unforgiving and uncharitable when it comes to clashing beliefs.

Suffice to say that many "honor" servers don't adequately warn and explain the rules for people joining. Even those that do usually only say "no laming" or something equally vague. How are we supposed to read the admin's thoughts and know how they define "laming"? Usually they'll simply lay in with the insults and abusive admin commands (kick and ban are all I need to enforce my "job" as admin, and I have banned very very few people.. and never needed anything permanent).

These guys just tacitly assume that what they consider "laming" is the same as everyone else's and they assume that everyone believes the same things they do. When they encounter somebody who either doesn't agree or has no idea what all this stuff is about, they assume the person is evil and stupid, and treat them like dirt. It's pathetic and wrong.

With the widespread abuse its caused (honor codes and related admin abuse) it's not surprising that it spills over into community forums.

Kengo
12-23-2003, 03:09 AM
I don't really play enough JA online to have faced this kind of thing too much, but one thing I do know is that similar 'unspoken rules' spring up around lots of online MP games. In TFC, some people will complain if you use your grenades well "grenade spamming", defend a key point "camping". In some cases, you will get complaints as an attacker, for killing an attacker on the other side as you pass him - this came from league play and spilled over into regular servers. You'll get abuse if you go sniper of HWG, especially if you do well. I even got complained at for using a rocket launcher as a soldier too much....thats his main freakin' weapon!

In CS, you get complained at for using certain guns, mostly notably the big sniper rifle, and if you do well you get a torrent of abuse for 'cheating'.

It seems to me that whatever the game, people will get a load of accepted norms in their own mind and expect everyone else to conform. Many of these rules/conceptions ruin these games as much as this whole honour code does for people who hate them. Man, where did online gaming go wrong...so much conflict...

TK-8252
12-23-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by g//plaZma
(banning gk). "OH NOZ!!!!!111 GRIP-KICK=INVINCIBLE + I DUNNO HOW 2 USE TEH PUSH/PULL BUTTON!!!!!1111ONEONE" Some of the people who come through there are not as "experienced" as some of you competitive players, as you've figured out. Grip kick can be exploitive for some people who aren't used to non-stop fighting.

Originally posted by Side
OMGZ TEACHER! HE GOT A CAP ON HIS HEAD INSIDE THE SCHOOL! I did not come to these forums to be called a "gay ass honor noob". If I treat others here with respect, I expect respect in return. I did not come to these forums to be bullied by some kid who can't control his mouth. There is a difference between "reporting" and "tattle-tailing". AxVegetA's remarks here have offended many people on these forums. See the difference?

Why does a concept so simple have to be surounded by so many arguments? I just don't get it. Sheesh, good question! I'd like an answer to this too.

_PerfectAgent_
12-23-2003, 04:44 AM
Some of the people who come through there are not as "experienced" as some of you competitive players, as you've figured out. Grip kick can be exploitive for some people who aren't used to non-stop fighting.
But the counter to grip is given in the rules section of the main menu, you don't need experience.

Force Push in Rules
Force Push
Duration: Instantaneous effect
Area Of Effect: Objects or Persons
Effect: Allows Jedi to push objects away from themselves, deflect missiles, and defend against Force Grip and Force Push attacks.

theguyincorner
12-23-2003, 05:29 AM
Kengo I love TFC! :D

So I guess the question now is... Is there anything we can do to stop this honor stuff from getting out of hand? I don't know, I think if all honor servers made an effort to explain what "laming" is then we wouldnt have so many problems. The things you said Kurgan were big generalazations. I know that many server admins do that (that's why I stear clear of clan servers) but I've witnessed someone being punished on the jk3files server. They slept them, then showed them a series of binds explaining what they defined laming as, then gave him some time to respond. I see nothing abusive about this. The people who run a server can make whatever rules they want because they are paying for it. But like I've said sooo many times before... Leave your rules at your server! There's no reason that you should assume the "honor code" is present on every server. These servers have their place. I'm not too fond of standing around pretending like some of them do, but I spend my time there dueling and watching duels because its FUN! I think a lot of the bitterness about honor servers (well my bitterness atleast) came from being constantly abused on JK2 servers. I'm going to do some more "investigating" :D and check out how prominant admin abuse still is in JA.

FK | unnamed
12-23-2003, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by Kengo
I don't really play enough JA online to have faced this kind of thing too much, but one thing I do know is that similar 'unspoken rules' spring up around lots of online MP games. In TFC, some people will complain if you use your grenades well "grenade spamming", defend a key point "camping". In some cases, you will get complaints as an attacker, for killing an attacker on the other side as you pass him - this came from league play and spilled over into regular servers. You'll get abuse if you go sniper of HWG, especially if you do well. I even got complained at for using a rocket launcher as a soldier too much....thats his main freakin' weapon!

In CS, you get complained at for using certain guns, mostly notably the big sniper rifle, and if you do well you get a torrent of abuse for 'cheating'.

It seems to me that whatever the game, people will get a load of accepted norms in their own mind and expect everyone else to conform. Many of these rules/conceptions ruin these games as much as this whole honour code does for people who hate them. Man, where did online gaming go wrong...so much conflict...

You are totally correct, no matter what the game is, someone is bound to bitch about something.

But it goes much deeper; it's this dickhead "I AM THE ADMIN AND I SHALL DO AS I WISH AND TREAT YOU AS I DEEM YOU SHOULD BE TREATED BECAUSE I AM THE ALL MIGHTY OMNIPOTENT BEING WITH RCON" mentality.

Take a look at this, here are the server rules for the rtcwfiles.com server, oddly enough, it's a sister network of jk2files.com

http://www.rtcwfiles.com/file.stuff?body=GameServerRules

Ok at first glance I got the impression it's just another newbie RTCW: ET server, you know "no spawn killing" etc.

No big deal right?

Look a little deeper...

Admin Powers
The admin(s) have a special rank in the server via Shrub Mod. Shrub mod is installed on our server and lets ONLY admins use these features. The admin may allow other players to have preset ranks at his/her own choice.

Some of the admin powers are listed bellow

Self Revive ( for cheat detection)
Jump/Launch
Disorient/Orient
Shake
Ban
Rename a player

A admin may use these powers when ever he/her feels the need to.
DO NOT CALL THIS CHEATING, THE ADMIN WILL GIVE YOU 1 WARNING THEN IF YOU CONTINUE YOU RUN THE RISK OF GETTING BANNED, this is a built in feature to shrub mod

Now you see how this stupid "admin" crap has gone too far?

You don't think that jackass 14 year old admin won't self revive himself after getting raped by a better player?

Sure he will.

You don't think that jackass 14 year old admin won't "shake" (think /amslap) a camping player who out smarted him and got the jump on him twice in a row?

Sure he will, and he will justify his bull**** actions with cries of "lamer".

Look, I've ran servers since the days of Quake.

I didn't do so because I wanted to play God in my own little micro universe, I did it because I enjoy gaming and I wanted to provide other games with a place to play.

But today that seems an almost extinct concept.

The bottom line is, if you choose to set up and admin a server to provide gamers with a place to play I applaud you.

That said...

If someone wants to admin a server because they feel it is their god given calling to keep order and peace in the world of online gaming... well I think that person is a self absorbed, deluded *******, pure and simple.

/edit this was not directed at you Kengo, sorry if it came out that way. I just quoted you because what you said made a lot of sense about how things have turned for the worse over the years.

TK-8252
12-23-2003, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by _PerfectAgent_
But the counter to grip is given in the rules section of the main menu, you don't need experience. True... but no grip kicking wasn't my idea, infact, if it were my idea, I'd have allowed grip kicking.

Kurgan
12-23-2003, 07:39 AM
Enough with the flames already, c'mon guys (esp. AxVegeta) you know better than that.

Believe it or not, this CAN be discussed without flaming board members!

Master William, ping is not as important in regular FFA and CTF as it is in Dueling and Instagib (not saying it's not important, just not as important). I have regular players from Scandanavia, most Western and Central European countries, Australia, Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, South America, etc. who play with pings in the 200s all the time, and often do very well. In fact, one of the top players is from Finland and always has a ping in the 200s, but it doesn't stop him from owning people with much lower pings.

Even in Instagib, I have a regular player from Germany (female too BTW) who does very well (looking right now, her ping is 211).

Amen to that Amidala. Crow_nest regularly gets pings in the 300's on my server, and yet he more often than not trashes the people who join (except for a few other regulars here who are pretty darn good in their own right!)... unless of course he's just stopping by to tell me something then leave. ; )

And of course my server isn't nearly as good as Amidala's in terms of power, so for me pings in the 100's are decent. I've had people playing with pings in the 90's and 80's though before.

When it comes to Q3 I was always told that 250 ping was "bad." The thing is of course is that people on dialup and foreigners are always going to get higher pings, so they just learn to deal with it in gameplay. If you're spoiled by sub 100 pings you might find it difficult to adjust at first.

lonepadawan
12-23-2003, 07:23 PM
It disturbs me slightly how FK unamed and other continually talk about raping people...

TK-8252
12-23-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by lonepadawan
It disturbs me slightly how FK unamed and other continually talk about raping people... It's not unnamed that's talking about "raping people's asses". It's AxVegetA, but (thank god) Kurgan edited some of that crap out.

Side
12-23-2003, 07:56 PM
I PWNZ U ALL WITH MY HAND TIED BEHIND!

I RABIT JUMP WITH MY BUTT

FK | unnamed
12-23-2003, 08:26 PM
I rabbit jump with my butt.

that is really funny, I have no idea why but it is.

Rumor
12-23-2003, 09:32 PM
It's not unnamed that's talking about "raping people's asses". It's AxVegetA, but (thank god) Kurgan edited some of that crap out.

yeah too bad he doesn't do it.

Rumor
12-23-2003, 09:41 PM

Don't worry about ping so much, you're missing out on a lot of fun servers (not just mine, either).

yeah ping is pretty relative. usually under 500 in ja is playable and 330 in cs. ut2k3 i can't remember. all i know is during any of these games i can hold my own easily and often dominate sniping or playing insta.

Master William
12-23-2003, 10:04 PM
no, you don't get it... 100+ ping = guns shoot slow, sometimes it looks like someone behind you is shooting when in fact I am.
Also, sabers hit me from quite some distance, totally annoying... you slice through people and nothing happens... and everything reacts slowly. still playable, but painful for me.

g//plaZma
12-24-2003, 01:52 AM
no, you don't get it... 100+ ping = guns shoot slow, sometimes it looks like someone behind you is shooting when in fact I am.
Also, sabers hit me from quite some distance, totally annoying... you slice through people and nothing happens... and everything reacts slowly. still playable, but painful for me.

One of the top gunners in the game plays on a 28k.

Rumor
12-24-2003, 03:34 AM

100+ ? are you stupid? most people have 80+ and i play with 400+ and i can shoot saber and kick just fine.

Amidala from Chop Shop
12-24-2003, 04:48 AM

You are right.....I don't get it . What you are saying makes no sense. I just took this screenshot:

http://server5.uploadit.org/files2/241203-pings.jpg

Half of these players have pings over 100, including the person with the highest score. How are all these people able to play and score and have fun doing so if what you say is true? (BTW, Sinna and Jen are women).

The player with the ping of 222, The Orb, lives in Germany. His ping doesn't appear to be keeping him from scoring.

If you don't want to play on American servers, you don't have to make up crazy excuses. You're missing some good fun though:amidala:

FK | unnamed
12-24-2003, 05:22 AM
Well to be honest, ping for me means a hell of a lot.

Sure I *can play, and yes I can play good, but I'm at about 50% of my ability if my ping goes over 60 (yes I'm that picky) or my FPS rate drops below 60.

When I played some European matches in Outcast I had to totally adjust my play style to compensate for the difference in latency.

What I could pull off on American servers simply could not be implemented effectively on German servers.

The one thing I will say about JK2/JA is the sabers and guns are not quite as "precise" as say shooting someone with a pistol in Wolfenstein so you can still play at an acceptable level with a higher ping.

Most of the guns are lob/splash damage types of weapons so obviously you will be leading your shots to begin with; a little adjustment for latency is all that is required.

Now try applying that to a game like Wolfenstein Enemy Territory where to gun efficiently, you have to aim at a tiny little box around the players skull and all of the weapons (bullet related) are pretty much "hit-scan" (pull trigger, it lands almost instantly).

Not as easy in that scenario.

But regardless, I have to totally agree with William on this one.

I was/am one of those players who studies game play mechanics almost fanatically, and I can and do see massive changes when I go from a 30 ping to a 150 ping.

Little things that may not seem obvious to casual players like, missing frames of animation.

When I play I am totally focused on my opponent’s player model and little things like missing the initial frame of animation from when my opponent throws a saber can and will totally screw up my game.

I base my defensive timing on visual clues like that and when they are not present due to a higher latency, for me it’s almost like “fighting blind”.

Rumor
12-24-2003, 05:27 AM
yeah. i'd have to say CS has the best netcode of any game to date.

i pretty much shoot and hit hits if i have under 300 ping.

and yeah UJ is correct about his ping/fps issues.

lets look at the SL vs kaoticz match for example. Now sl is a great bunch of stand up guys and is by far the hardest opponent we have faced thusfar.

Round 1: ffa_bonus2 (fortress). FPS was absolutely HORRID. Best i had was 40 while looking at the ground. there was no way for us to really get our strategy going so it was basically everyone vs everyone else. it even got so bad that i had to restart my game because i FPS lagged so bad and it locked up.

http://kaoticz.com/images/matches/SL/k_vs_sl_twl_x4v4.jpg

Now Round 2: ffa4 (rift sanctuary -- my favorite tdm map) FPS was at least 50-60 even with drain, lightning, sabers, energize, heal, absorb, and protect going. We could actively get our strategy into effect and had them into the negatives until we eased off after two of them left.

http://kaoticz.com/images/matches/SL/k_vs_sl_twl_x4v4_2.jpg

FPS makes much more of a difference (for me) than ping. (ofc i do best with under 330 in any game.)

Amidala from Chop Shop
12-24-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
Well to be honest, ping for me means a hell of a lot.

Sure I *can play, and yes I can play good, but I'm at about 50% of my ability if my ping goes over 60 (yes I'm that picky) or my FPS rate drops below 60.

When I played some European matches in Outcast I had to totally adjust my play style to compensate for the difference in latency.

What I could pull off on American servers simply could not be implemented effectively on German servers.

The one thing I will say about JK2/JA is the sabers and guns are not quite as "precise" as say shooting someone with a pistol in Wolfenstein so you can still play at an acceptable level with a higher ping.

Most of the guns are lob/splash damage types of weapons so obviously you will be leading your shots to begin with; a little adjustment for latency is all that is required.

But regardless, I have to totally agree with William on this one.

I was/am one of those players who studies game play mechanics almost fanatically, and I can and do see massive changes when I go from a 30 ping to a 150 ping.

Little things that may not seem obvious to casual players like, missing frames of animation.

When I play I am totally focused on my opponent’s player model and little things like missing the initial frame of animation from when my opponent throws a saber can and will totally screw up my game.

I base my defensive timing on visual clues like that and when they are not present due to a higher latency, for me it’s almost like “fighting blind”. I agree that someone playing at your level would be sensitive to the effects of latency.

But Master William and 99% of the players out there including top players (I've seen their demos) like Rumor and plaz being hampered by ping >100? Somehow, I don't believe Master William is sensitive to ping the way you are, but I could be wrong.

Rumor
12-24-2003, 07:04 AM
i'm extremely sensitive to FPS myself. i can easily tell the difference between 120 and 130 fps. it just goes into how smooth the game plays.

FK | unnamed
12-24-2003, 08:07 AM
I agree that someone playing at your level would be sensitive to the effects of latency.

But Master William and 99% of the players out there including top players (I've seen their demos) like Rumor and plaz being hampered by ping >100? Somehow, I don't believe Master William is sensitive to ping the way you are, but I could be wrong.

MW and I may not play alike or pay attention to the same things, but chances are he's a very picky player in general like me.

I sort of play by "rhythm" if that makes any sense, and I'm sure others are this way too.

It's sort of like how rumor is used to playing with a 300 ping, you sort of get a feel for things and when that rhythm is altered it throws you off.

For me I am sort of "spoiled" when it comes to lag/FPS.

I've got a solid connection & machine and the servers I play on are generally close to my home state so pings are usually in the 40 range.

To be honest, even if I was a newbie, I still think I would notice a huge difference in the way things responded when that 40 ping went up to say 100.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying people can’t effectively play with a high ping, I’ve seen many players who do.

It’s just for some of us “nitpicking” players, who are so used to a certain level of performance, adjusting to even a small amount of lag is very difficult and very frustrating.

ExcelsioN
12-24-2003, 09:28 AM
When I've join UK servers (like jolt.co.uk) I've had pings of like...300 and 258, but when I join Chop shop, my ping is just over 100. It's wierd.:confused:

Jedi Luke
12-24-2003, 12:21 PM
Honestly, lower pings help but it is all in the skill of the player. Check out these links of my scores at Chop Shop that I got today. (CTF a while ago though).

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/CTFOwned.JPG

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/shot0003.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/shot0005.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/shot0006.jpg

Concluding from these results, the skill of the player is the major part of a player, not the ping.

EDIT: If html link doesn't work, copy the link and paste the link in a new browser window.

Master William
12-24-2003, 01:09 PM
unnamed, that's what I mean. I'm used to how the gameplay is when you have a decent ping, I'm not used to waiting 1 or 2 seconds for the Force Push to actually push, nor shooting and waiting 1-2 second(s) to see it appear from nowhere or behind my back.

I don't care if some girl or guy has a high score with 999 ping, I can't play like that, simply. Everything just reacts so horribly slow, it's unplayable if I want to get serious.

(BTW, Sinna and Jen are women).
OMGZ!Z11111111111111!!!oneeleven
do u haev their phoen numbr???????
(no offense just a joke)

So anyway, I might be able to play with american players if I get T3 or some better connection, I think I am getting 2 mbit soon... If that is gonna help.

100+ ? are you stupid? most people have 80+ and i play with 400+ and i can shoot saber and kick just fine.

Hmm... I don't think I'm stupid, I'm doing fine at school. And I don't know the difference between our connections, you seem to be able to adapt to any sort of ping, but that doesn't go for me.

I don't like sabers hitting me when in fact they are not, I don't like sabers going through people without damaging them, and I don't like slow guns. The only game lag is enjoyable at is Counter-Strike, I owned a server with 500 ping on that.

Side
12-24-2003, 01:30 PM
id rather have 500 ping than my ****ty 10 fps

people teleporting around=aint cool

Amidala from Chop Shop
12-24-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Jedi Luke
Honestly, lower pings help but it is all in the skill of the player. Check out these links of my scores at Chop Shop that I got today. (CTF a while ago though).

http://www.geocities.com/lsorokowski/CTFOwned.JPG

Concluding from these results, the skill of the player is the major part of a player, not the ping.

EDIT: If html link doesn't work, copy the link and paste the link in a new browser window. Wow, good job with that CTF game. Your team beat a Red team 6-1 that had RED-5, ArizonaWithRaspberryFlavor (aka Brisk), Dash, and Gaiden Cortina, some of the best players on my server. Good game!

I'm going to post that screenie on their clan site and ask what the hell happened, LOL!

gotcha8903
12-24-2003, 04:16 PM
I agree with Side. Even though my pings are usually pretty good (50-60), if your framerate is low (20s or lower) you will have a very weird game. It makes it very hard to saber or shoot, because it has almost the same effects of having a high ping.

Rumor
12-24-2003, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by FK | unnamed
MW and I may not play alike or pay attention to the same things, but chances are he's a very picky player in general like me.

I sort of play by "rhythm" if that makes any sense, and I'm sure others are this way too.

It's sort of like how rumor is used to playing with a 300 ping, you sort of get a feel for things and when that rhythm is altered it throws you off.

For me I am sort of "spoiled" when it comes to lag/FPS.

I've got a solid connection & machine and the servers I play on are generally close to my home state so pings are usually in the 40 range.

To be honest, even if I was a newbie, I still think I would notice a huge difference in the way things responded when that 40 ping went up to say 100.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying people can’t effectively play with a high ping, I’ve seen many players who do.

It’s just for some of us “nitpicking” players, who are so used to a certain level of performance, adjusting to even a small amount of lag is very difficult and very frustrating.

actually now that i think about itwhen i go to my friends house and play cs on his cable when we have over 120 ping bullets dont seem to hit as well. weird **** cause i have no problems with 200+ at home.

AxVegetA
12-24-2003, 09:47 PM
No, see, you didn't "own" ShroomDuck, you chat-killed him. Chat-killing someone doesn't mean you "owned" him. So be quiet.
Hard to believe you killed him eight times because I only remember you killing him once in a CHAT-KILL and then for the rest of your time there you were in amsleep and amsilence. We were having some FUN with you!

Well you're the one who has to chat-kill people to score points. :roleyess:

Oh, yeah, and all the vulgar language only proves how low your intellegence is.

WTFFFFFFFFFFF, YOU FRIGING LIAR, i chat killed him once, the rest were one on ones, and 8 times. And yes, i chat kill when i ffa, but i wasnt ffaning there, i just wanted to beat the crap out of that f-ucking a-sshole.

The only fun you (g-a-y admin) have in this game is when you kick/ban people and when you use those pathetic admin comands such as sleep, silence and slap. The only reason you, and admins in general, play this game day after day is the cheap fun you get from the feeling of authority over the rest of players in your server. Your entire gameplay experience relies in enforcing some made up rules who almost everybody breaks every minute.

While i have fun killing you, playing the game, you have fun kick/baning me, typing letters in console.

Admins - admincomands = - admincomands

And PLEASE forgive my vulgar language sorreconchetumadre :)

AxVegetA
12-24-2003, 09:55 PM
About the lag/fps topic.

Lag always afects gameplay, in ffa, in ctf and in duel servers, people with lower pings can only take advantage when the diference of ping is big.
My ping is always around 200 and my fps sometimes 50 sometimes 130, and I only feel the warping when i get 300+ ping, and when my fps is below 30.

Jedi Luke
12-24-2003, 09:56 PM
Wow, good job with that CTF game. Your team beat a Red team 6-1 that had RED-5, ArizonaWithRaspberryFlavor (aka Brisk), Dash, and Gaiden Cortina, some of the best players on my server. Good game!

I'm going to post that screenie on their clan site and ask what the hell happened, LOL!

Lol, sounds good Amidala :D. Happened a few weeks ago and I thought it was worth saving :D. (RED-5 is an awesome player and did pretty good for 10 mins). Those screenshots illustrate that it is not about the ping, but the player's skill in JKA MP. Thanks for that and for the compliments, keep up the good work at Chop Shop!.:)

TK-8252
12-24-2003, 10:39 PM
beat the crap out of that f-ucking a-sshole. Very uncivilized. Do you know that ShroomDuck is registered at these forums? So you are considered as flaming.

you (g-a-y admin) More flaming. You must not have listened to Kurgan's warnings did you?

and slap. LOL, Jedi Academy Reloaded doesn't even have slap!

And PLEASE forgive my vulgar language I don't think Kurgan will...

sorreconchetumadre :) Lost me there.

Side
12-25-2003, 12:22 AM
ur funny vegeta,

i dont quite remember but like....3 months(or more) ago u were running ur mouth saying "respect honor rule and u wont be lamed back"

now ur saying u chat kill in ffa

Rumor
12-25-2003, 02:17 AM
piss off vegeta.

Butt_Whisper
12-25-2003, 02:20 AM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
I hate getting banned from servers! :o

I live for it. LOL

Khier
12-25-2003, 03:20 AM
id rather have 500 ping than my ****ty 10 fps

people teleporting around=aint cool

Ditto. I've got a cable connection so I get some decent pings but a pentium 2 350 mhz just does not cut it these days. I tried playing some xmod FF CTF servers a couple times and it was absolutely brutal, whenever there was action going on with the inclusion of several force power effects going off I would get an average of 2-10 fps, no joke it's that bad. As much as I liked the gameplay, it was too frustrating to deal with. One moment I'm facing two guys, the next I'm rolling around and falling to my doom because during the frame chop I got gripped, kicked, pushed and god knows what else while I was frantically pushing buttons and waiting for my computer to get from one goddamn frame to the other. Hell, I only average about 15 fps on some duels maps for crying out loud.

AxVegetA
12-25-2003, 04:58 AM
ur funny vegeta,

i dont quite remember but like....3 months(or more) ago u were running ur mouth saying "respect honor rule and u wont be lamed back"

now ur saying u chat kill in ffa

When i ffa and i am concerned in my score i kill everyone, like most people, and i am not worryed about geting kicked cause in such madness admins cant control the server. And besides, the great mayority dont respect the honor codes in ffa. But when i am fooling around i follow the honor codes trying to have some fun too.

Amidala from Chop Shop
12-25-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Khier Serakk
Ditto. I've got a cable connection so I get some decent pings but a pentium 2 350 mhz just does not cut it these days. Upgrade your CPU to a 1.0 GHz Celeron for only $99.95! Read about it here (http://www.powerleap.com/Products/iP3T.htm).

lllKyNeSlll
12-25-2003, 02:57 PM
I can play like a god in guns if my ping is less than 150 and my fps is greater than 60. But regardless, I am sensative to ping and FPS big TIME. Because, it gets a lot more confusing to find where people are jumping around if my fps dips below 60. Ping time usually doesn't affect me too much as long as its below 200. But the main problem giver to me is join lag and bad packetting. With join lag I freeze for 1/2 a second and get disoriented when i unfreeze. Bad packetting does the same to me. Lead aim can solve the problem for bad ping times (you still have to hit direct (not like UT1), its just your projectile is launched with a delay (like in tribes 2)). Therefore, I can play reasonably good with less than 300 ping and around 50 fps. Regardless I'm still going to dominate in a ctf public server just because of better accuracy, speed, and experience no matter what my ping (as long as its playable). But versus someone my own level or better it will matter.

For sabers, ping, FPS, and packets matter a lot more to me than in guns. I almost require an FPS over 70 to play decent. I prefer fps above 90 to play up to my full potenetial. For ping I require it to be below 120 to play decent and below 60 to play at my full. However, I can still dominate in most pubs with high ping and low fps, its just uncomfortable. Versus a good ff saber duelist, I would have a lot of trouble unless I get really low ping and high fps. With 120 fps and 30 ping I can probably play like a beast in guns or sabers.

In conclusion, ping times and FPS don't matter that much versus the average or norm, but they matter a lot more while playing 1v1 versus someone near your level.

FK | unnamed
12-25-2003, 08:24 PM
for max fps:

cg_marks "0"
cg_shadows "0"
cg_simpleItems "1"
cg_noprojectiletrail "1"
cg_renderToTextureFX "0"
com_maxfps "120"
com_hunkmegs "128"
r_picmip "3"
r_gamma "2"
r_intensity "2"
r_OverBrightBits "0"
r_lodbias "2"
r_fastsky "1"
r_colorbits "16"
r_depthbits "16"
r_texturebits "16"
r_vertexLight "1"
r_dynamicglow "0"
r_subdivisions "80"
r_textureMode "GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST"

you can lower gamma back down to 1 or a little less than 2 if it is too bright for you.

will these settings be ugly?

yep, but most competition players use configs like this for max performance in matches.

Side
12-25-2003, 09:03 PM
that exactly what i use,

execpt for picmip_"6" instead of 3

it even worst than quake 1 i swear

Admiral Chemix
12-25-2003, 09:13 PM
Vegeta, I remember running into you quite a few times. You were basicly a jerk, people chatting, u chopped their heads off, but when people weren't chatting, you got a real arse beating. Anyone can chatkill people. Any dude on his first day with the game could kill a chatting player. U just ran around cussing your head off chopping up chatters, u got kicked, u got banned. It's people like u that make me despise non-honor players. Kurgan I think it would be better if u would stop speaking of honor as if it were an infectious virus, I respect your opinion and all but it's a bit irritating to be told that the honor code u follow is a spreading virus that needs to be crushed. On the FPS topic, my highest iname is around 40 and thats staring a blank wall, otherwise it's around say 12-22. I used to have pings of about 400 (56k btw). Now with my new modem I have a near perpetual ping of 999

AxVegetA
12-26-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Chemix
Vegeta, I remember running into you quite a few times. You were basicly a jerk, people chatting, u chopped their heads off, but when people weren't chatting, you got a real arse beating. Anyone can chatkill people. Any dude on his first day with the game could kill a chatting player. U just ran around cussing your head off chopping up chatters, u got kicked, u got banned.

Another loud mouth noobie. You obiously dont know what you are talking about. Its not that i move around the map looking for chaters to kill them, rofl. When i spawn after i got killed in ffa and some noob is chating infront of me or in my way to the battle, i wont think twice to slice him apart, lol. Dont lie to yourself, everybody does that, and the only reason noobs like you dont do it, is either because you know he is gona own you when he respawns, or you are soooooo afraid of geting kick/baned.
END OF TOPIC
move along...........................move along

Admiral Chemix
12-26-2003, 03:33 PM
dude, sorry to break it to you, but ur skills are non existant, in simpler terms, U SUCK. I I know exactly what I'm talking about, when u came to the server u got your arse kicked until an admin came and banned u.

Rumor
12-26-2003, 06:03 PM
dude, sorry to break it to you, but ur skills are non existant, in simpler terms, U SUCK. I I know exactly what I'm talking about, when u came to the server u got your arse kicked until an admin came and banned u.

that seems to be a startling cycle for him.

Mike Windu
12-26-2003, 07:51 PM
heh, i remember that day... got banned on sight vegeta... haa and by the looks of the flaming, i suppose they decided correctly.

on another note: I play chop shop instagib with 15 fps and 350+ pings, and i'm often the leader :)(uninstalled jk2 to try and play halo, but will reinstall today as halo doesnt work for me) oi, anyone know where i can find a video card that supports directx9 gives good fps (60 or higher) and costs less than 70 dollars!

Amidala from Chop Shop
12-26-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
anyone know where i can find a video card that supports directx9 gives good fps (60 or higher) and costs less than 70 dollars!

Try this:
http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=4755

Mike Windu
12-27-2003, 05:29 PM
damn.. had me excited amidala:amidala: :( i dont have an agp slot :( only pci :mad:. Oh well, I'll play halo in 4 years when i move out and get a new computer for college. (compaqs suck...)

Druid_Allanon
12-28-2003, 08:59 AM
My ping's 280-330 because of my location, but I feel normal. Many people asked me whether if I lagged whenever I join their server...

AxVegetA
12-28-2003, 09:01 AM

:rolleyes: NOOBS
LMAO, all thats left to me is to laugh, as i said before, ill hunt you an record a demo of it, so you can finally shut that filthy mouth.

Crow_Nest
12-28-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
damn.. had me excited amidala:amidala: :( i dont have an agp slot :( only pci :mad:. Oh well, I'll play halo in 4 years when i move out and get a new computer for college. (compaqs suck...)

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=610730

That should help you ;)

Druid_Allanon
12-28-2003, 10:58 AM

LMAO, all thats left to me is to laugh, as i said before, ill hunt you an record a demo of it, so you can finally shut that filthy mouth.

Why not shut YOUR filthy mouth? How many warnings in this forum did you get for swearing and flaming already? One of the reasons why you are not wanted on JK3files server, or should I say, ANY server?

Mike Windu
12-28-2003, 05:24 PM
HEAR HEAR! *drinks a cup ov root beer*

oh yeah -----^ that boy can rhyme :)

and thanks crow nest :) i'll look into those vid cards

Rumor
12-28-2003, 05:59 PM

dude shut the **** up everone here knows you're a noname newbie who thinks he's the **** when he really sucks.

just stfu and stfd already.