PDA

View Full Version : Official Asteroids Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Andy867
12-09-2003, 05:24 AM
As the title suggests, there are new map coming to JA which is going to set the stage for a new kind of JA: Space Combat. Sure there is KOTOR Flight School, but this new map has many new features not found in ANY maps to date. Check JK.Net for the latest news and keep an eye out!

Samuel Dravis
12-09-2003, 06:01 AM
Looks good. I'll be sure to get it when it comes out.

Crow_Nest
12-09-2003, 06:13 AM
sounds good! I hope it would be better then flight school!

Andy867
12-09-2003, 06:20 AM
I can tell ya right now it is at least 30x better than KOTOR. KOTOR took the first baby steps for Space combat, this takes a leap forward for Space combat.

Manquesa
12-09-2003, 06:29 AM
Yeah, you won't be dissapointed. Our last beta we were having so much fun we lost track of time, went from about 9 pm to about 2:30 am and we only stopped cause our hands were starting to hurt.

Andy867
12-09-2003, 06:31 AM
yea I remember that.. Had to ice my hand and watch you and Kurgan go after one another:) That was friggin awesome test:)

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 06:39 AM
Asteroids do not concern me, Admiral.. I want that ship, not excuses!

http://www.jediknightii.net/_kurgan/Vader.jpg

Prepare for hyperspace!

PS: Although the smacketh was laid down on your's truly during that test, I did get a few good frags in. Notice during the part where it's showcasing the Y-Wing in the upper left-hand corner (in the high quality version) who got blasted and by whom! Awww yeah!

Jedi Luke
12-09-2003, 06:40 AM
Whoa!! Looks awesome!! I wonder if the gameplay will be better than XWA?

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 06:42 AM
It's more like Rogue Squadron honestly, since there's no resource management.

There's no ion cannons either... just your standard missiles and lasers.

The ships handle very well though and have their own strengths and weaknesses, great job! (you too Manq!)

Andy867
12-09-2003, 07:03 AM
yea, but Also notice in the High Quality where it again shows off the Y-wing, who without a crosshair and a damaged, ship is able to pick off the TIE;) But the ships, some created by Manquesa, modeller extrordinarre, include the A-Wing, Tie Interceptor, and the Y-Wing. And Like Kurgan said, after getting blasted a few times ;) , the ships handle VERY well and each have their strengths AND weaknesses.

Amidala from Chop Shop
12-09-2003, 07:15 AM
Hmmm, I wonder if there is going to be a new definition of "laming" while playing this map:

"OMG OMG OMG, u lamed me!!!!!1111!!!! n00B, don't u no landing gear down = peace!!!!!!11111 OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!"

Jedi Luke
12-09-2003, 08:15 AM
:rofl: Good one Amidala.

razorace
12-09-2003, 10:17 AM
Oh, that's just great. I just love how people make just some random map, slap some driveable models on there and then call it a new gametype. :P

Nevermind the fact that there's no actual new game mechinics, just some use of the already ingame .veh.

Astrotoy7
12-09-2003, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by razorace
Oh, that's just great. I just love how people make just some random map, slap some driveable models on there and then call it a new gametype. :P

Nevermind the fact that there's no actual new game mechinics, just some use of the already ingame .veh.

I am equally non plussed... For multiplayer flying frivolity in the SW universe Rebel Strike is pretty darn good, even if it is on the cube....

ASTEROIDS ARE COMING...COOL !! I CAN FINALLY USE THAT BRUCE WILLIS SKIN !!!!

MTFBWYA

Im a KOTOR groupie at the momment, JA is a 2 disc coaster set as far as I'm concerned......

KOTOR ROX !!!

Bishop3560
12-09-2003, 11:38 AM
Good looking!

I planned to release a space mod before but I couldn't find the people and second of all I thought that the T2_TRIP size was the maximum.

Anyway I might always put a space mod up after all. In time that is.

Right now I got some ideas for you. See them as advices that make that map even better.

1) I saw you can enter that large asteroid. Now light wouldnt be able to reach in there now could it? Try to make it dark inside, just not to dark, but darker.

2) Try to make fighter NPC's which keep autospawning. This way you don't just make a SP mode but there is also more resistence to shoot at in MP. Make 2 versions to be sure that low end servers/pc's can play the one without the npc's if they wish.

3) Add more ships in time. T-Wing, R-41, Millenium Falcom, Slave 1, Jedi Starfighter, Naboo Starfighter etc. They would make the mission even more fun and balance those ships well. KOTOR has the what I like to call the "rooftop" ship or "uber" ship with smart mines that kill everything making players ignore most other ships. Prevent that from happening for the sake of the JA flight fan.

4) Don't stay with just this map, people want too see more for sure! Make a Deathstar MK. II run (:deathii: <- that one ;)) in example. But thats not the case here.

5) Capital ships could be nice. Imagine a Correlian Corvette in the middle. Might be standing still using deadly turrets. Some shots might break it in pieces leaving debris which can be shot and destroyed too.

6) Make some activity in the hangars. Some droids passing by or running pilots wouldnt be bad (just an idea).

Bishop3560
12-09-2003, 01:11 PM
I just made a Tie-Defender (in 90 minutes), can you guys use it? Can't get it ingame yet, so you'll have to do that. If you do please give me credits for it.

http://uploads.the-spectrum.org//public/tie-defender.jpg

Tinny
12-09-2003, 02:12 PM
is it possible to make a ship change functions and mode? like x-wing gets close to the ground then transforms into an at-st looking thing ala transformers. "luke, i am your x -wing" - hot rod

Tinny
12-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Bishop3560
...I saw you can enter that large asteroid. Now light wouldnt be able to reach in there now could it? Try to make it dark inside, just not to dark, but darker....

how about we make it entirely dark inside, but with dynamic glow the lights from the ship will illuminate it when you enter?

Master William
12-09-2003, 02:28 PM
Whoa, looks awesome! When will this be released?

Prime
12-09-2003, 02:34 PM
Man, I can't wait to try this out. Then all your base will belong to us!

Andy867
12-09-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Master William
Whoa, looks awesome! When will this be released?

When its released. We are currently finishing it up and tweaking the models a little more for balance and accuracy, and just the overall models themselves.

Actually, if you bothered to look at the Trailer, you will notice there is a new Hyperspace effect that HAS NOT been used in any maps or at all until this map. And there are new vehicles that have not been released yet.

wedge2211
12-09-2003, 04:04 PM
Sigh...

<boots up X-Wing: Alliance>

Manquesa
12-09-2003, 04:14 PM
And NO, it's not JUST a map. It is a mod. There are new features, not so many that you'll be totally blown away or anything, and if you don't play current flight maps you may not even notice any new features at all. Basically, this is what space combat in JA woulda been like had Raven the time to finish tweaking everything before releasing the game.

For example, there is now a graphic that extrudes from ships when flying (all except yours and it wasn't very noticeable if at all in the demo) that shows you where to shoot, obviously due to movement you don't want to aim at the ship you're shooting, you should aim a bit in front of it's path. This helps with that. Also, there's an alarm that sounds when an asteroid is getting dangerously close to you. etc.

And as Andy said there are a few new vehicles being introduced here as well.

So no, it's not that big a mod that's it's introducing a new gametype or anything or gonna just blow people away with all of the new features. Andy may have gotten a little bit carried away in some of his initial proclamations about the mod but hey, we are trying to generate interest in this thing. But this truly is what a space combat map for JA should be like. I have yet to play a currently released map that matches it or comes even close.

ExcelsioN
12-09-2003, 04:57 PM
This sounds really cool! Finally a map worthy of a: OMG!!DATS SOOOOO AMAZING!!!111

This is the type of map Raven needed to put in the game. I need to find out a way to configure joystick keys for planes though.

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 05:25 PM
There's all sorts of new little touches and tweaks that make this unique.

For example another one is the radar, it actually shows enemy ships, not just allies (they're color coded)... that are shaped like the ships and show relative positions above and below you. It also shows enemy missiles that are tracking you and approaching asteroids.

Bishop3560: That looks cool, but doesn't the TIE Defender have it's own cloaking device? Wouldn't exactly be fair... but then again....

razorace: Oh, that's just great. I just love how people make just some random map, slap some driveable models on there and then call it a new gametype. :P

Well it is just a Team FFA, but it's a leap forward from any space map yet made for JA. We're not calling it a new gametype, but the gameplay is definately different than your usual TFFA. ; )

Bishop3560
12-09-2003, 05:34 PM
No, the Tie Phantom can cloak.

The Tie Defender is just an advanced Fighter with shields, quite some speed and Torpedoes. Like the X-Wing.

Compare it with as a B-wing crossed with an X-Wing and A-Wing.

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 05:37 PM
No, the Tie Phantom can cloak.

The Tie Defender is just an advanced Fighter with shields, quite some speed and Torpedoes. Like the X-Wing.

Compare it with as a B-wing crossed with an X-Wing and A-Wing.

Oh, ok, thanks. I guess it's been too long since I played Rebel Assault II. ; )

If it were added, the balance would probably have to be tweaked again, because only one of the Imperial ships has shields and only one has missiles.

So one more question then, if the TIE Phantom was a project that was conducted in secret (and we assume destroyed) during the classic trilogy, when was the TIE Defender built and deployed?

I'd like to say that I'm very happy this is coming out, because it was the kind of thing that Raven wanted to release with the game, but didn't due to lack of time to polish it up.

wedge2211
12-09-2003, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Bishop3560: That looks cool, but doesn't the TIE Defender have it's own cloaking device? Wouldn't exactly be fair... but then again....
No, those were the experimental TIEs in Rebel Assault 2 (I forget their designation). They look cooler than TIE/D's in my opinion, anyways, but hey...

I think the map itself could use more detail and attention. A funny-shaped brush with a rock texture on it can make an asteroid, sure, but how about putting smaller extrusions, craters, etc--details--on each asteroid? The textures could also use some work...and lighting is wierd. In space, you won't have all that even, ambient light. What about space-based structures, containers, stations, probes, mines, things like that? Things to make the map more interesting. And...I have to ask this since it's a first-person shooter...any places to dock, get out, move around? Say, a big space station in the middle?

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 05:42 PM
The ships are sort of balanced like this (this is my opinion): Imperial ships are fast, weak and manuverable in general. Rebel Ships are durable and have more firepower, but are generally bigger and slower. There are exceptions of course...

There's nowhere really to land, once you leave your starting hanger. It's just an asteroid field out in space, so there doesn't need to be any structures or other things in it.

The only "light" logically would be from stars and from the ships themselves (and anything bright and glowy that they fire).

But, remember this is a Star Wars video game... the laws of physics and science can be bent a little in the name of gameplay and coolness.
; )

Now that's not to say that once this is out it won't inspire others to create more high quality space maps, in fact I hope it does. So save those ideas!

Manquesa
12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
Actually the big huge asteroid that you fly through I beleive is being re-textured. And there are several other asteroids that do have much better textures with the craters and all, and they rotate and spin and even have their own health bars.

Yeah, you're in an asteroid belt, but you do start off in a hangar, I do kinda wish there was a way to get back to the hangar as there currently is no way, but it's no big deal really.

lighting and texture fixes to the map is being tweaked though.

kmd
12-09-2003, 05:57 PM
The ships are sort of balanced like this (this is my opinion): Imperial ships are fast, weak and manuverable in general. Rebel Ships are durable and have more firepower, but are generally bigger and slower. There are exceptions of course...

There's nowhere really to land, once you leave your starting hanger. It's just an asteroid field out in space, so there doesn't need to be any structures or other things in it.

The only "light" logically would be from stars and from the ships themselves (and anything bright and glowy that they fire).

But, remember this is a Star Wars video game... the laws of physics and science can be bent a little in the name of gameplay and coolness.
; )

Now that's not to say that once this is out it won't inspire others to create more high quality space maps, in fact I hope it does. So save those ideas! true that, bend the laws a bit!! any way looks cool, when is the eta? in a few months or what?

Alegis
12-09-2003, 05:59 PM
Seen the trailer, really looks awesome, reminded me of Rogue Squadron which i used to play a lot..but it's too empty indeed, and that would kinda spoil the fun after a while. Why not maps like in rogue squadron? I can give you screenies if you want, that would be awesome and then the y-wings would be a bit stronger with their bombs (since that's the point about y-wings, they're bombers, why the hell put them in a TFFA with only their primary fire :confused: )

Andy867
12-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Actually, Y-Wings have both laser cannons AND Bombs(well, missiles/torpedoes), although it is more meant for bombing runs than dog fights, but I am sure someone out there can make a map or maps that will make the Y-Wing useful. Most map makers are probably just waiting for the available vehicles so that they can continue their maps or whatever.

Manquesa
12-09-2003, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
Seen the trailer, really looks awesome, reminded me of Rogue Squadron which i used to play a lot..but it's too empty indeed, and that would kinda spoil the fun after a while. Why not maps like in rogue squadron? I can give you screenies if you want, that would be awesome and then the y-wings would be a bit stronger with their bombs (since that's the point about y-wings, they're bombers, why the hell put them in a TFFA with only their primary fire :confused: )

Well the Y-wings will and do have more than just primary fire. They won't unfortunately have the bombs, I wanted em, but if you think about it, they'd be useless in space combat unless you can somehow manage to fly above the enemy and get a one in a million shot hitting the person below. It'd be extremely difficult. Also, with the limitations on there only being allowed 2 weapons per vehicle, you can't have a 3rd weapon. And we already got blasters and torpedos on it.

Yeah, i'd love to see more Rogue Squadron like maps. Hopefully people will make, i'll definitely play em.

And as far as the emptiness, yeah it'd be nice to have more to look at, but as we keep saying you are in an asteroid field and we actually had to cut back on the number of asteroids in the field due to constanly getting hit by one and dying, which was getting annoying fast.

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 06:34 PM
And as far as the emptiness, yeah it'd be nice to have more to look at, but as we keep saying you are in an asteroid field and we actually had to cut back on the number of asteroids in the field due to constanly getting hit by one and dying, which was getting annoying fast.

Exactly... I painted many an asteroid with my ship during those early tests, arrrgh!

It looked cool, but it was frustrating. Not only that but more objects = more lag, and more lag = less manuverability, and less manuverability = more crashes. You get the picture.

Actually I was thinking the early "crowded" asteroid fields we had would make a great "single player" (in a multiplayer setting) level.

Say for example some people guiding the Falcon through the field in an ESB-esque scenario (with some people flying, other's gunning).

But for Team FFA it just doesn't flow very well. And as we know, real asteroid fields (well the only one we know well, the Asteroid Belt in our Solar System) are very "empty." ; )

The logical reason for this is that the bigger asteroids collide with each other and are ground to smaller bits in a rather short time.

Alegis
12-09-2003, 06:41 PM
Y-wing would be awesome for siege maps..but then eventually you'd get a multiplayer rogue squadron..which actually isn't so bad. boyo boyo, all these mods in progress, can't wait :)

Andy867
12-09-2003, 06:49 PM

3) Add more ships in time. T-Wing, R-41, Millenium Falcom, Slave 1, Jedi Starfighter, Naboo Starfighter etc. They would make the mission even more fun and balance those ships well. KOTOR has the what I like to call the "rooftop" ship or "uber" ship with smart mines that kill everything making players ignore most other ships. Prevent that from happening for the sake of the JA flight fan.

4) Don't stay with just this map, people want too see more for sure! Make a Deathstar MK. II run (:deathii: <- that one ;)) in example. But thats not the case here.

Well, the idea the mappers were going for was a Classic Star Wars look, and the Jedi Star Fighter is only seen in the prequels. Same with the Naboo Starfighter. And the Falcon IS Useable, but it is still very buggy.

Bishop3560
12-09-2003, 06:50 PM
Kurgan: The Tie-Defender was constructed before the battle of Endor but because of its expensives it wasn't expended beyond a prototype. (Very effective one too, with these the Imperials would have won the battle of Endor, or so many admirals claimed).

Anyway, update on my Tie/d.

Added:

-more grey colour on the wings to match the cockpit ball.
-ion engines at the back
-blaster cannons at the wingtips

http://uploads.the-spectrum.org//public/tie-defender-2.jpg

Andy867
12-09-2003, 06:53 PM
hey Bishop, how many polys is that Defender running? Cuz the average for vehicles, but also kind of the max, is 4,000-4,500. If you could maybe cut n paste Raven's TIE cockpit, it might help reduce the polys considerably.

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Y-wing would be awesome for siege maps..but then eventually you'd get a multiplayer rogue squadron..which actually isn't so bad. boyo boyo, all these mods in progress, can't wait

Well, it's true... RS fans on the PC have been snubbed since "Battle for Naboo" (in fact everyone but Gamecube owners have missed out on the action).

And yes, I know, RS didn't have online play... the best you can do is split screen 2 player like what was featured in RS III on GC.

Bishop3560
12-09-2003, 07:05 PM
I did andy (it is the tie cockpit), and its 1772 polies only.

Squee-sithguy
12-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop
Hmmm, I wonder if there is going to be a new definition of "laming" while playing this map:

"OMG OMG OMG, u lamed me!!!!!1111!!!! n00B, don't u no landing gear down = peace!!!!!!11111 OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!"
i doubt it, i am a "honor nerd" and i see nothing that would be put into perspective as laming when your in a ship, i mean the ship IS a weapon already so you're armed and, that means it wont be laming

Prime
12-09-2003, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Squee-sithguy
i doubt it, i am a "honor nerd" and i see nothing that would be put into perspective as laming I'm sure someone will find a way.

Squee-sithguy
12-09-2003, 07:13 PM
ya, that person would be an idoit though

Bishop3560
12-09-2003, 07:19 PM
hmm, if someone lames you just press the take off button :P

Manquesa
12-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Hey Bishop, I got your PM, nice model there. impressive. Anyway, ultimately it wouldn't be up to me what get's put in, though I have a feeling if it were used, i'd be the one that'd have to get it working in game and adding all the tags and what not. More work!! :mad: We'll see though man, don't wanna promise anything yet or deny anything yet.

Bishop3560
12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
I will add tags and laser position etc, only problem is I dont know what those muzzle's do... :-/

Andy867
12-09-2003, 07:53 PM
The muzzle tags are believe are what define the flashes of where a laser is shot out of.

razorace
12-09-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Manquesa
And NO, it's not JUST a map. It is a mod. There are new features, not so many that you'll be totally blown away or anything, and if you don't play current flight maps you may not even notice any new features at all. Basically, this is what space combat in JA woulda been like had Raven the time to finish tweaking everything before releasing the game.

For example, there is now a graphic that extrudes from ships when flying (all except yours and it wasn't very noticeable if at all in the demo) that shows you where to shoot, obviously due to movement you don't want to aim at the ship you're shooting, you should aim a bit in front of it's path. This helps with that. Also, there's an alarm that sounds when an asteroid is getting dangerously close to you. etc.

And as Andy said there are a few new vehicles being introduced here as well.

So no, it's not that big a mod that's it's introducing a new gametype or anything or gonna just blow people away with all of the new features. Andy may have gotten a little bit carried away in some of his initial proclamations about the mod but hey, we are trying to generate interest in this thing. But this truly is what a space combat map for JA should be like. I have yet to play a currently released map that matches it or comes even close.

Ok, thanks for the information. That actually sounds like some good improvements. You might want to consider submitting the codes to OJP (http://www.lucasforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=542) so that other modders can use that code.

-=IJ=-PHATDaddy
12-09-2003, 09:01 PM
Actually, someone in my clan was able to get a hook up and get the Beta for the Mod and wanted the Clan to test it out, without allowing non-clan members to get ahold of the map. There are some issues, which I would rather talk off-line about, IE Starting the MAP, etc... But the ships themselves look Outstanding. One good thing I like about it, was how the Imps and Rebels launch from the hangers, sweet touch. The Hyperspace kicks ass. There should also be more room from when you hyperspace in to when you hit the asteroids. It sucks when you go in the asteroids and you Die right there cause a Asteroid was right there. Also was tough flyin through the Big one, especially when other asteroids are going through the big one and clipping you...LOL. Besides that it was fun...LOL. Oh yeah, doesn't the Tie advance shoot missles?

The Immortal Jedis (http://www.immortaljedis.com)

TK-8252
12-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Amidala from Chop Shop

"OMG OMG OMG, u lamed me!!!!!1111!!!! n00B, don't u no landing gear down = peace!!!!!!11111 OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!" The only problems with vehicle maps on a saber off = peace server is that rockets from the ships kill people on the ground, resulting in some OMG WTF WAS THAT FOR YOU LAMMER!!!!!1

That's why the JK3Files server is just taking vehicle maps out all together.

OMG DONT YOU KNOW THAT LAMBDA SHUTTLE = PEACE?!! DONT ATTACK TEH SHUTTLE YOU N00B!!!!11

-=IJ=-PHATDaddy
12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
The only way for Team killing / Laming is if Friendly Fire is on or off. Simple ass that. The only time you will see the other team is if you are in your ship and in the Asteroid Field.

Andy867
12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
Yea its like WHY put a map that is meant for killing in vehicles in a saber off=peace server anyway? Space combat is fight to the death, not oh wait, my shields are down=peace or some crap like that. Vehicle fighting is meant for killing and anyone who complains is the lam3r/N00B

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
12-09-2003, 09:40 PM
I will add tags and laser position etc, only problem is I dont know what those muzzle's do... :-/

The best starting point is to extract the TIE Fighter from the pk3s into your base dir (the model is in models/players/tie_fighter and the textures are in models/map_objects/ships, I believe) and check out where all the tags are, how the surfaces are named and heirachied and what anims exist. Use the ModView we released with the latest tools. All the things I mentioned you should check out are very important for making a final, complete ship. The tags need to be named and aligned correctly, the ship needs to be centered on the origin, the surfaces have to be named correctly, etc... start there, do some of that work, then I can help you make it into a flyable vehicle in-game.

TK-8252
12-09-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Andy867
Yea its like WHY put a map that is meant for killing in vehicles in a saber off=peace server anyway? Space combat is fight to the death, not oh wait, my shields are down=peace or some crap like that. Vehicle fighting is meant for killing and anyone who complains is the lam3r/N00B Exactly. This is why JK3Files is not putting in any vehicle maps, no matter how much people beg. My clan server has the KOTOR Flight School, which is just dreadful.

Kurgan
12-09-2003, 10:45 PM
Exactly. This is why JK3Files is not putting in any vehicle maps, no matter how much people beg. My clan server has the KOTOR Flight School, which is just dreadful.

Wait a minute, I thought people were joking about the "shields down = peace" stuff (to make fun of the honor n00bs and how they might apply their honor to vehicles).

Isn't that just a bit hasty to ban all vehicles because people whine?

I mean, people already whine about everything else (sabers, saber moves, force powers, guns, maps).

If you take that attitude, you'll just have to stop playing or hosting the game altogether, 'cause some people will NEVER stop whining.

They've been whining since Doom came out, and they show no signs of stopping...

TK-8252
12-09-2003, 10:47 PM
The whining goes to ultra-levels, Kurgan. The whining gets so bad it takes the fun out of the game for EVERYONE.

Neo_Knight
12-09-2003, 11:15 PM
Is it a thread about laming or a cool dogfighting mod (or map) ? :confused:

Anyway it looks quite good, especially the hyperespace effect (is it the trigger_hyperespace ?). Vehicles are cool looking, they seems to be manuverable (more than the default settings)

I would like to see the tie defender in this map, empire'ship are too weak, a tie fighter can be destroyed easily, althought there is the tie avanced x1.
So i think bishop tie defender should improve the gameplay and we need several maps, like wedge told you, a big space station with launching pad would roxx :D
Or 2 bases on massive asteroids, separated by a asteroid field.

This is good but it could be better with more details and complex gameplay :)

I repeat: "I LOVE YOUR WORK"

Rumor
12-09-2003, 11:25 PM
if they disrupt **** that much then they dont' need to play on your server. making everyone play their way is punishment for everyone else.

btw kurgan i downloaded the video and it like has empty frames or some crap wtf is up w/ that? every few frames (like every half second is just black)

Andy867
12-09-2003, 11:26 PM
Umm, The Tie Advanced (Vader's Tie) IS in the map. and the one bishop is working on is the TIE/D (TIE Defender). And the problem with increasing detail is that the asteroids already produce a lot of data, since they spin, move, and are brushes, which send data, hence taking up bandwidth, and with the sheer size of the map, that also takes up bandwidth, and with the ships, which are each about 4,000 polys or so, that is a lot of rendering, plus the Imperial Hangar and the Rebel Hangar, and including the Hyperspace. Now you can see why we have it where it needs to be. Sure people can expand on it, but you have to think of performance over gameplay for most servers.

razorace
12-10-2003, 02:30 AM
I noticed in the demo that there seem to be Raven employees involved with this. Are they actively working on this as well or were they just involved in doing the demo?

Kurgan
12-10-2003, 05:10 AM
btw kurgan i downloaded the video and it like has empty frames or some crap wtf is up w/ that? every few frames (like every half second is just black)

Dunno, it worked for me.

However, the videos had frequent "pauses" for me using Windows Media Player 6.4 (what I normally use).

I popped them into PowerDVD 5 and they ran flawlessly however.

So try a different player I guess... and be sure you have the latest DivX codec(s).

I noticed in the demo that there seem to be Raven employees involved with this. Are they actively working on this as well or were they just involved in doing the demo?

Yes. That doesn't mean this is an "official product" only that they're taking some time out to help produce a mod, and kudos to them for it!

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
12-10-2003, 05:23 AM

I've been helping manquesa get his vehicles to be 100% like ours and I was in that test that the footage is from... but this isn't an official Raven/Activision/LucasArts map or anything like that, this is just me in my off time.

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
12-10-2003, 05:24 AM
Dunno, it worked for me.

However, the videos had frequent "pauses" for me using Windows Media Player 6.4 (what I normally use).

I popped them into PowerDVD 5 and they ran flawlessly however.

So try a different player I guess... and be sure you have the latest DivX codec(s).

I don't think it uses DivX, it's a WMV. Just upgrade to Windows Media Player 9.

Andy867
12-10-2003, 05:26 AM
The videos were originally compressed by DIvx, so the line of code for compression is still there for the DivX

Rumor
12-10-2003, 06:07 AM
why the hell was it not left in divx then?

Andy867
12-10-2003, 06:34 AM
it was never in divx. I used FRAPS to record the footage, encoded it with the DivX codec, sent the file to Mike for post-production, he used Window Movie Maker. :p

manoman81
12-10-2003, 06:39 AM
Well, I can't wait for this! Looks awesome! Few questions: how are the framerates ( I know, you're still testing it out) and are there any servers around that are running something like this I can try and get some practice in so I don't get shot down too quickly by everyone (except by Kurgan, by the looks of the demo :D )?

Andy867
12-10-2003, 06:47 AM
Well since it is still in testing phase, we want to work out all the bugs before letting the public know how it handles, but I usually get 70-90FPS in most areas, but we are currently working to re-work some of the map for a more polished look and clean it up a bit, and just make it look nicer overall. We are testing all aspects to get everything playable in it to make it very enjoyable. I go nuts every time I hear of a new thing that could be done or tweaked.. Just ask Kurgan or Manquesa:) Sometimes they have to beat me with a silencing stick just to shut me up over my over-anxious nature for this, course This is a great map, so anything that can be done to make it better makes me even happier. So hopefully you guys will enjoy it as much as we do. We are tweaking and testing the hell out of it for gameplay and network play to make sure all people can enjoy, and yes, even 56K people can enjoy this map. We tested Broadband with broadband, broadband with 56k, broadband with broadband with 56k, and it got pretty smooth for the most part.

So sit tight, and let the info bowl ya over;) ok, maybe not bowl ya over, but keep your interest peaked:)

Kurgan
12-10-2003, 06:55 AM
I don't think it uses DivX, it's a WMV. Just upgrade to Windows Media Player 9.

I just remember seeing the DivX logo in one of the early trailers and assumed that's what was being used, if not, my bad. ; )

My FPS average 25-35 on the map, but then I'm probably running my settings at the highest they can reasonably go on a GeForce2, so your mileage may vary. ; )

AgentDarthThor
12-10-2003, 09:02 AM
25-35 fps on gforce2 sweet....good for me and gforce2 mx 64mb :D

btw guys is there going to be any bot support or sp mode for this map, cause im stuck on 56k in Australia and i doubt any local servers will put the map on (they rarley use ANY custom maps), and 500 ping to US servers kinda sux.

Awesome mod....loox just as much fun as xwing vs tiefighter (best game of all time :-) )

Alegis
12-10-2003, 11:44 AM
, I wanted em, but if you think about it, they'd be useless in space combat unless you can somehow manage to fly above the enemy and get a one in a million shot hitting the person below. It'd be extremely difficult. Also, with the limitations on there only being allowed 2 weapons per vehicle, you can't have a 3rd weapon. And we already got blasters and torpedos on it.

That's too bad since bombs would've been cool to bomb the other teams hangar and temporarily destroy some of their ships, getting a little advantage. Same applies for the TIE bomber..Would bring a little bit more strategy in the game (escort the bombers to other base and drop!)

Astrotoy7
12-10-2003, 12:26 PM
The videos were originally compressed by DIvx, so the line of code for compression is still there for the DivX

Just because it plays on WMP 9 doesnt mean it is NOT DivX... WMP9 has the divx codecs, so you wouldnt need to go out and track them, or the divxplayer down...., as you did with WMP8 and lesser....

MTFWBYA

Astrotoy7
12-10-2003, 12:31 PM
just couldnt resist....

"The possibility of me ever playing this map is approximately 3720 to 1 !!! "

*Resumes playing KOTOR, with MUCH delight*

MTFBWYA

Master William
12-10-2003, 01:21 PM
I used WinAmp to watch the trailer. And god knows how much I hate it when I hear ''it is released when it is released''. That's what the developers of Galactic Conquest mod for BF1942 kept spamming to everyone who asked them.

Isn't there a closer answer, like... After christmas, or before easter?

Manquesa
12-10-2003, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
That's too bad since bombs would've been cool to bomb the other teams hangar and temporarily destroy some of their ships, getting a little advantage. Same applies for the TIE bomber..Would bring a little bit more strategy in the game (escort the bombers to other base and drop!)

well, I did put in an extra weapon tag, bolt_muzzle7 on it and angled it down and position if on the bottom of the body of the ship. All anyone would have to do to add bombs would be to disable one of the 2 weapons in the .veh file and enable that tag to use a bomb weapon. Course, the weapon file may need to be made, don't think there is a bomb weapon made yet. But it should be releatively simple for somebody to make that change to it later so you can have either blasters and bombs or torpedos and bombs on it.

I used WinAmp to watch the trailer. And god knows how much I hate it when I hear ''it is released when it is released''. That's what the developers of Galactic Conquest mod for BF1942 kept spamming to everyone who asked them.

well, due to various reasons a few things in the map need to be completely remade. Due to that, the release date has been pushed back. It was originally planned for a Thanksgiving weekend release. But now we're looking at more of a Christmas or New Years time-frame for release. Don't quote me on that though. It sure as hell better be out before Easter. We're all as anxiuos as anyone else, if no more, to get this thing out, but we also don't want to release it prematurely with a lot of errors and what not.

Bishop3560
12-10-2003, 02:19 PM
My Tie Defender now says: NPC has an invalid GLA ...

kazesan
12-10-2003, 05:55 PM
My first assumption was that this map would suck alot. Simply because it is called asteroids. Yet I now see from the trailer than the asteroids really don't get in the way much. Plus they are huge which is good. On KOTOR I would clip an asteroid and then explode on another one because they were so close together and so many of them.

Also the hyperspace thing is great. Along with the new ships. However I think that maybe this could be evolved into more than TFFA. With more maps and proper coding it would be possible to recreate the battles of yavin and endor. Even full blown siege type situations.

Also if your team is feeling extremely up to a challenge, you should try doing more than just ship class vehicles. Like recreating the geonosis battle complete with hellfire droids, gunships, and ground troops.

Celladur
12-10-2003, 06:30 PM
, I wanted em, but if you think about it, they'd be useless in space combat unless you can somehow manage to fly above the enemy and get a one in a million shot hitting the person below. It'd be extremely difficult. Also, with the limitations on there only being allowed 2 weapons per vehicle, you can't have a 3rd weapon. And we already got blasters and torpedos on it.

why dont you try and make it like the portable missile that Chewie uses is siege? That can lock on to a target and be used as a homing missile.

Also an idea, because most people are saying that the imps ships are to weak, why not make some bot files that are capital ships? like a Stardestroyer or a dread nought?

I have some good 3D models to make skins with if you wanted to use the bot capital ship thing.

Kurgan
12-10-2003, 07:54 PM
btw guys is there going to be any bot support or sp mode for this map, cause im stuck on 56k in Australia and i doubt any local servers will put the map on (they rarley use ANY custom maps), and 500 ping to US servers kinda sux.

Well, it's TeamFFA, you can just start a solo game and practice flying around blowing up asteroids if you want to.

Putting in true bot support would be a lot of work, but... who knows. I'm assuming that that won't happen in this release, maybe some modders in the future can make support for bots flying ships in space.

SP Mode would actually be pretty cool (or a "coop" type of thing that's MP but you can play it in SP with limited spawns or something). The early versions of the map had TONS more asteroids floating around, making you focus on navigation rather than fighting.

Such a concept would work better for SP with a small manuverable ship (or big strong ship that could survive a few impacts).

For now though I can only suggest a LAN party... the map really is made for team play.

Manquesa
12-11-2003, 01:12 AM
My Tie Defender now says: NPC has an invalid GLA ...

ok, first of all, you do have a .gla file right?

2nd, you also need an animation.cfg file even if there is no animations. Just look at the tie-fighter files to see an example.

Bishop3560
12-11-2003, 03:16 PM
1) it's a .glm yet it says this error :confused:

2) yes I did make an animation file

Bishop3560
12-11-2003, 03:38 PM
How do I make it .gla anyway and what do I do with the .glm?

Manquesa
12-11-2003, 05:32 PM
you need both a .glm and a .gla. You need to do this with 3ds max and export to .xsi, then compile with Assimilate and Carcass, that will create the .glm and .gla for you.

Bishop3560
12-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Oh I dont got 3dsmax :S. Damned.

Know anyone who can do the md3 to gla etc for me?

Kurgan
12-12-2003, 12:01 AM
You might try Gmax, a stripped down, "game friendly" version of 3D Studio MAX.

wedge2211
12-12-2003, 03:51 AM
Hmm... Back to the map...Why don't you guys implement a foghull/distancecull to enable a really large map with lots of stuff in it without dragging down frame rates abysmally, since you'd only draw small portions of the map at once? You could either use a thin, black, fog to fade things to black, or you could make the thing into a whole nebula setting.

Nifty trick: if you insert "nofog" into a sky shader (or any shader for the matter) with the surfaceparms, the shader will show through the fog without any effect. So, if you put a black fog in and made a starfield sky shader with "nofog," then OBJECTS in the map would fade off to black (and then not be drawn any more if you use distance culling), but the skybox would always be visible, giving the impression that visibility actually does go out to infinity.

acdcfanbill
12-12-2003, 07:24 AM
^^^^ what he said ;)

tFighterPilot
12-12-2003, 03:13 PM
Unfortually, the controls in JA aren't good enough for it to be like RS.

Maybe it will be fixed in a later patch... Like everything else that is wrong with the game :rolleyes:

Bishop3560
12-12-2003, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by imyourfather

Maybe it will be fixed in a later patch... Like everything else that is wrong with the game :rolleyes:

Erm, get a joypad and put sensitifity up, you will be amazed.

Bretski
12-12-2003, 04:22 PM
i recon it should be a seige map, x-wing vs tie-fighter and stuff with space station/planets to do missions on etc.

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
12-12-2003, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Hmm... Back to the map...Why don't you guys implement a foghull/distancecull to enable a really large map with lots of stuff in it without dragging down frame rates abysmally, since you'd only draw small portions of the map at once? You could either use a thin, black, fog to fade things to black, or you could make the thing into a whole nebula setting.

Nifty trick: if you insert "nofog" into a sky shader (or any shader for the matter) with the surfaceparms, the shader will show through the fog without any effect. So, if you put a black fog in and made a starfield sky shader with "nofog," then OBJECTS in the map would fade off to black (and then not be drawn any more if you use distance culling), but the skybox would always be visible, giving the impression that visibility actually does go out to infinity.

Good suggestions, but in a space map, size actually doesn't matter... :) There's no performance hit because there's no large expanse of terrain or anything that you're having to draw. The map is 90,000x90,000x90,000 and runs fine because all it's drawing are about 30 asteroids and some ships. It would be as cheap as drawing a medium-sized detailed room of about 10-20 people with lightsabers.

Andy867
12-12-2003, 05:09 PM
After testing a few different machines, Mike is right and how there really isnt a performance hit. On one machine, i have 1.67GHz, 768 MB PC2700 MB DDR RAM, and a GeForce FX 5900 128MB, and the settings are maxed out for 1024x768 and I get 70-100 FPS, and on my other rig, a Duron 800Mhz with 384 MB Ram and a GeForce4 Ti4200, I can push the graphics to high detail (not maxed) at 800x600 (15" monitor) and it gets 60-80FPS so, this map really will do well on medium-end to high-end machines, and probably even the minimum required-matched machines. Its really designed with performance and the gameplay factor taken into account.

Kurgan
12-12-2003, 07:57 PM

I haven't tried playing Q3 with a joystick, but have you tried playing RS pc with a mouse+keyboard?

It's HARD!

So perhaps getting a flight stick that works with JA would enhance the experience for you.

But to me the controls feel pretty good, and my ship is at least as easy for me to control as I remember the RS games being on consoles.

Andy867
12-12-2003, 09:14 PM
I would have to say that with this size map, and the tweaked vehicles, the controls for vehicles isnt a rough learning scale. Even with a keyboard and mouse, a person can be very deadly against other ships, (looks at Kurgan;) )

t3rr0r
12-12-2003, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
Hmm... Back to the map...Why don't you guys implement a foghull/distancecull to enable a really large map with lots of stuff in it without dragging down frame rates abysmally, since you'd only draw small portions of the map at once?
that's already in the game... you can see it on flight school, and other maps with large distances... and i really hate it and want to know how to turn it off. >:/

Kurgan
12-13-2003, 12:58 AM
Well as ChangKhan said, the fog thing really isn't necessary for Asteroids.

You have to realize the there are some significant differences between it and KOTOR Flight School.

Flight School is a CTF map (though it can be played in multiple game modes). It has two "bases" full of architecture, including dozens of Emplaced Guns, AT-ST's (at least 2 total IIRC), item pickups (shields and health) as well as tons of ships (at least 8 different respawning vehicles, mirrored on both sides, so 16 by my count... 18 if you include the two AT-ST's one of each of the default ships on each base, plus one of each of the three "custom ships" at each base) just sitting around.

Combine this with the fact that you have tons of asteroids, at least half of which are indestructable and therefore part of the immovable architecture.

Asteroids is a TFFA Map. It has 8 different ships (16 total), but they're segregated away from the playing field in seperate "hangars." There's no item pickups, AT-ST's or emplaced guns or flags lying around. There's no bases for architecture other than the hangars.

With Asteroids you're not having to factor in anything (once you've hyperspaced through with your ships) except the rocks, and the players in their ships.

While these rocks actually MOVE and all but one (depending on the map version) are destroyable you don't have to deal with all that extra stuff in the way like Flight School does.

Druid Bremen
12-13-2003, 03:17 AM
Man... You guys make the wait for this mod UNBEARABLE!!!

Andy867
12-13-2003, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by Druid Bremen
Man... You guys make the wait for this mod UNBEARABLE!!!

We know;) but trust me, with all the things this stuff can do, except like perform nuclear fusion, it is definitely worth the wait. As time approaches, you will definitely see more news about it on JK.net and here. but for now, we are just working out the bugs and re-doing some stuff that we and others felt could look different but better. What I personally like the best is that with the size of the map and the new vehicles and their tweaked stats, flying is much more enjoyable, yet challenging with the asteroids to consider, and the enemy ships. I also really like the hyperspace effect. Totally cool eyecandy and effect:) Like Kurgan said, this map is definitely different from KOTOR in many aspects, primarily and obviously the gameplay. And also with the asteroids in Flight school, it gets really frustrating when you are flying around and most of the asteroids are indestructable. Where with Asteroids, all but one, the Big one, are destroyable *but get spawned*. And its also nice that they move & rotate, making for interesting dogfights. With KOTOR, you have to run or jump to each vehicle, and sometimes go a long distance to get to that particular vehicle, whereas with this one, the vehicles are in close proximity but still spaced out enough so you can usually take off without a scratch (though I cant vouche for 100% perfect take-offs on my part;) ). And with the map, as soon as you take-off and leave the hangar, you are instantly engulfed into hyperspace and transported to the asteroid belt where the real fun begins:)

When the map is released, you can count on my server hosting it for usually 12 hours, while the other 12 are devoted to the Stargate MOD. So, be sure to check Jk3servers probably after the new year to see which server I am currently running, either the one in my sig, or the asteroids. My server is 2mb d/l, 256k u/l and has pretty much tweaked but basic settings so that I can try to get 6 people or so, but if clanservers.net or somebody wants to offer me a free server or someone is willing to pay for one for the map, that'd be cool too:) more the people, the better the map plays out:) And it works pretty well with broadband users mixed with 56k, even on my server.

cey
12-13-2003, 03:13 PM
Wow...... This map sounds cool.... Possible tyo see some screenshots?:)

t3rr0r
12-13-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by cey
Wow...... This map sounds cool.... Possible tyo see some screenshots?:)
there's a video that can be downloaded from jk.net (www.jediknight.net).

tFighterPilot
12-13-2003, 06:38 PM
The movie looks like he was done on a tnt2 computer.

Besides that, the level looks great :D

Andy867
12-14-2003, 04:44 AM
Actually, its grainy because it was heavily compressed using DivX because I doubt ANYONE would have wanted to download the original size of the cut... *1.56 GB* so:) Well, 1.56 to 2.34Gb if you include all the footage we took.

Kurgan
12-14-2003, 10:00 AM
The Extended Edition Director's Cut features an additional 40 minutes of Kurgan's Greatest Crashes along with a blooper reel featuring such classic moments such as Kurgan shooting his own ship somehow.

The Collector's Edition features the Extended Edition in a metallic collector's tin along with a hand-carved "asteroid" statue that vaguely resembles Mike's likeness imbeded in a giant potato (individually numbered with certificate of authenticity).

Just kidding, of course. =)

cey
12-14-2003, 02:45 PM
Wow awsome... The map looks cool!

Ur gonna create some kind of place for the siths to duel the jedis...?:) maybe outside in space, so people can see ships while fighting:=)

Lightning
12-14-2003, 03:11 PM
i love flight school so i hope tis one will be even better

ZH@o YuN
12-14-2003, 04:12 PM
The Extended Edition Director's Cut features an additional 40 minutes of Kurgan's Greatest Crashes along with a blooper reel featuring such classic moments such as Kurgan shooting his own ship somehow.

The Collector's Edition features the Extended Edition in a metallic collector's tin along with a hand-carved "asteroid" statue that vaguely resembles Mike's likeness imbeded in a giant potato (individually numbered with certificate of authenticity).

lmao!

_PerfectAgent_
12-14-2003, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by cey
Ur gonna create some kind of place for the siths to duel the jedis...?:) maybe outside in space, so people can see ships while fighting:=)
And run 'em over! :D

That's gonna be on DVD, right? :p

tFighterPilot
12-14-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by cey
Wow awsome... The map looks cool!

Ur gonna create some kind of place for the siths to duel the jedis...?:) maybe outside in space, so people can see ships while fighting:=) I'm totally against this idea, it would ruin the map in my opinion.

_PerfectAgent_
12-14-2003, 08:40 PM
How would it ruin the map?

Bishop3560
12-14-2003, 08:45 PM
wouldn't a floating block in space to fight in look bad?

If you want duels, I mean, just play Kotor and meet up at the big empty pad... :o

What could be cool, not on this map though, is a relic of an old ship floating around which moves around its axis meaning there is no stable floor to stand on. Would make duels more interresting.

_PerfectAgent_
12-14-2003, 08:53 PM
wouldn't a floating block in space to fight in look bad?
It could be something cooler, like a floating dome, with the dome part being glass.

If you want duels, I mean, just play Kotor and meet up at the big empty pad... :o
And it is fun to run over people on the ground, or at least make them "take flight." :D

Andy867
12-14-2003, 09:39 PM
I HIGHLY doubt that we will include a place for dueling, since the whole premise of this map is for space vehicle combat. We are going away from typical Jedi Knight Games which was lightsaber and blasters blazing. And go back to the good ole' space dogfighting.

Kurgan
12-14-2003, 10:17 PM
What Andy said.

While combining ground combat and ship-based combat in one map is an intriguing possibility, it isn't likely to happen in the Asteroids map.

About the only time you even see players running around is when they're in the hangar's scrambling to their fighters...

_PerfectAgent_
12-14-2003, 10:23 PM
While combining ground combat and ship-based combat in one map is an intriguing possibility, it isn't likely to happen in the Asteroids map.
Yeah, that would probably be only in an FFA based map.

By the way, will the Asteroids map will be playable in FFA and CTF as well, or only TFFA?

Andy867
12-14-2003, 10:43 PM
It will be strictly TFFA, since the hangars are set-up that way (team-based). There will be no Capture the Flag or anything either. Just straight up dogfighting in some old and new vehicles. :)

Syzerian
12-14-2003, 10:55 PM
having a dueling place would be kinda cool like a secret asteroid somewhere but the only problem is that u cant land a spaceship it just keeps going u can only slow it down

will there be ejection seats? it would be really funny if u were about to hit an asteroid so u ejected and the guy behind u sees a guy falling to his doom lol
then u could get on top of asteroids and shoot people:D

Andy867
12-15-2003, 12:30 AM
well, sure you can eject, but you just suffocate from lack of oxygen, plus you would then die from probably freezing to death. So die in the explosion:) And then, you realize that the explosion was from blasters, and you look up at the top of the screen as it says,"
Syzerian was killed by Andy867 "

;)

acdcfanbill
12-15-2003, 04:00 AM
would be interesting if you were to mod the game so that ships can pick up flags ;) or so that people could w/o having to get out of their ship

Andy867
12-15-2003, 04:41 AM
Well, the MP Source Code is out, so the ability to make an option for it is out there, someone just has to do it. But there probably wont be CTF in this release of asteroids.

Syzerian
12-15-2003, 05:51 AM
do u have any idea approximatly how big (file size) the mod is going to be?
after all it will contain new model probably sounds and textures so im guessing around maybe 20 mb
but i dont wanna go downloading anything big (56k) :S

Manquesa
12-15-2003, 05:55 AM
well, it's a little over 7 MB right now, i'm on 56k as well and it takes me about 40 minutes or so to download.

Andy867
12-15-2003, 06:02 AM
With some new models on the way for the map and the vehicles that Manquesa and 71M, and the Tie Advanced from Neomarz, plus a working Falcon, the file size has been typically 7-8MB, but my guesstimate would have to say around 8.5-9MB as the final size, but I cant say for sure until it comes down to that point. But it will definitely be well under the 20MB mark, even the 15MB, and possibly under 10, so it wont be an unbearable download.

acdcfanbill
12-15-2003, 06:32 AM
i wasnt saying that you should, i was just thinking it might be an interesting addition to any mod ;) vehicular capture the flag oh well :p

{CT}QuiJon
12-15-2003, 06:52 AM
Man Khan let us have a beta to test on our servers, this one kicks a** over Kotor flight any day. One request would be a extra ship with missles on the Imperial side. Everything on rebel side seem to have some type of missle, maybe give the interceptor missles to help balance the awing which is the owning ship right now. Seems everytime we play it rebels own. Maybe not own, But are winning easily. Otherwise this is the shiznitz! Thanks for letting us test it out.

cey
12-15-2003, 07:45 AM
I see.....

A question: When i played KOTOR, the ships were flying so fast that I could not control it probably..... How u take the speed down, like in this map?

Also: Okay, fair enouge with duels... I would also have thought that a duel pit in the middle of nowhere would not be cool.... But what about in the hangars then?:) Ok.... NM...:(

tFighterPilot
12-15-2003, 12:38 PM
I hoped this would be a seige map :(

TFFA is also good though, I guess.

Master William
12-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Finally, some decent file sizes. BF requires atleast 100 mb for a mod that just changes the HUD :o

Andy867
12-15-2003, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by cey
I see.....

A question: When i played KOTOR, the ships were flying so fast that I could not control it probably..... How u take the speed down, like in this map?

Easy, just dont hold down spacebar all the time, just press it long enough to get a few feet above the platform, and then just push forward. and you can use (s) and (c) to slow down if going to fast

Andy867
12-15-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by {CT}QuiJon
Man Khan let us have a beta to test on our servers, this one kicks a** over Kotor flight any day. One request would be a extra ship with missles on the Imperial side. Everything on rebel side seem to have some type of missle, maybe give the interceptor missles to help balance the awing which is the owning ship right now. Seems everytime we play it rebels own. Maybe not own, But are winning easily. Otherwise this is the shiznitz! Thanks for letting us test it out.

But you have to realize that FEW very of the Imperial ships even have missiles. Most just have Laser cannons for weapons. So The map is just being true to the Star Wars universe. And I have no problem flying an Imperial and easily whacking 10 ships before I get my butt handed to me. So I think its very balanced. Besides, the Z-95 may have missiles, but for what good unless you have a good eye-hand coordination since it doesn't have missile lock capabilities.

Bishop3560
12-15-2003, 05:06 PM
Heh, use my Tie-Defender :p .....

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
12-15-2003, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by cey
I see.....

Also: Okay, fair enouge with duels... I would also have thought that a duel pit in the middle of nowhere would not be cool.... But what about in the hangars then?:) Ok.... NM...:(

Well the problem with KOTOR was that it was way too small... probably because the mapper didn't know about the distancecull option to make it so that you can see the whole map at the same time. So the ships fly very fast and get around that map too quickly.

Bretski
12-16-2003, 12:21 PM
when will these asteroids finally come!!!!! hurry up

Bishop3560
12-16-2003, 01:51 PM
Who is in charge of the mod. I would like to discus with him/her if my Tie-Defender (thanks Aaron Smith ;)) can be used for it. Good variation as it uses missiles and makes the mod less one-sided as the Imperials now got a starfighter with missile weapons too.. .. .. ..

Star Gamer
12-17-2003, 03:03 AM
When do you think it will be ready? It looks SO cool!.

Kurgan
12-17-2003, 04:51 AM
As was said before, it'll release "when it's done."

Though I'm guessing sometime next year is safe to say (that's my "unofficial" hunch). ; )

Andy867
12-17-2003, 10:01 AM
I concur with Kurgan in saying that early next year is looking like the time when we will release Asteroids.

Godzilla
12-18-2003, 04:10 PM
I didn't know if this matter had been addressed before, so please forgive me if it has. In KOTOR flight school, the ships "disappeared" after moving so far away, so, will you be doing something to let the ships stay visible, it looks like you did in the trailer, but I just wanna make sure. Other than that very small question, this mod brings down the house!

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
12-18-2003, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Godzilla
I didn't know if this matter had been addressed before, so please forgive me if it has. In KOTOR flight school, the ships "disappeared" after moving so far away, so, will you be doing something to let the ships stay visible, it looks like you did in the trailer, but I just wanna make sure. Other than that very small question, this mod brings down the house!

Yes, that is the "distancecull" issue I was talking about. In the Asteroids map, you can see the entire asteroid field and everyone in it at all times.

Andy867
12-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Yea and I know this for a fact, because I've been picked off by Mike, who has been like on the other side of the asteroid belt... :( ;) (course I was hurt, but the fact is he killed me from like 30-some thousand units away or so. possibly farther. It sucked ;)

ChangKhan[RAVEN]
12-18-2003, 04:39 PM
Yea and I know this for a fact, because I've been picked off by Mike, who has been like on the other side of the asteroid belt... :( ;) (course I was hurt, but the fact is he killed me from like 30-some thousand units away or so. possibly farther. It sucked ;)

<khangasm>

razorace
12-18-2003, 08:50 PM
KKKKKKHHHHHHAAAAAANNNNN!!!!

Bishop3560
12-20-2003, 06:56 PM
My B-Wing is done, now I just need to texture it.

>-[http://uploads.the-spectrum.org/B-Wing.jpg]-<

t3rr0r
12-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by ChangKhan[RAVEN]
Yes, that is the "distancecull" issue I was talking about. In the Asteroids map, you can see the entire asteroid field and everyone in it at all times.
so, that's why most maps are messed up like that... and it kills livingdeadjedi's maps (carbonfreeze2 and the update sarlacc map, to name a couple). :(

Manquesa
12-20-2003, 08:40 PM
My B-Wing is done, now I just need to texture it.

>-[http://uploads.the-spectrum.org/B-Wing.jpg]-<

Wow that's nice man. Can't wait to see it textured and in game. Keep up the great work.

Celladur
12-20-2003, 09:38 PM
Does anybody know a way of converting .blend files to GLM? I have loads of 3d star wars models in blender, but I fdon't know how to make mods out of them.

Mex
12-20-2003, 10:02 PM
Looks great! I can't wait! :)

Bishop3560
12-21-2003, 09:47 AM
Celladur, try searching the internet for some exporters. Also get the tool Deep Explorer. It can convert lots of files to other files. Might just support Blender files as well.

NoaNet
12-22-2003, 03:25 PM
Mrjay re-wrote parts of the game code at least 3 days b4 astroids was announced and made hyperspace possibal...nuff said.

Manquesa
12-22-2003, 06:41 PM
uh, okay

Alegis
12-22-2003, 07:25 PM
Please make haste I really can't wait (KOTOR with the overempowered ships is becoming the opposite of fun) (more footage form in-game fights!)

Kurgan
12-22-2003, 11:40 PM
Mrjay re-wrote parts of the game code at least 3 days b4 astroids was announced and made hyperspace possibal...nuff said.

So in other words, we beat you by a long shot?

Sorry.. couldn't resist. ; )

Suffice to say that whatever other features you've seen, Asteroids will still have stuff that no other released mod for JA has...

NoaNet
12-23-2003, 01:38 AM
oK I was just informed that it was actually a month before.-_-I become a tester 2 weeks ago :)
but anyway...what features will astroids mod have?

Tinny
12-23-2003, 01:44 AM
i wanna be unicron with giant lightsaber and cut the death star in half.... err just wondering, will there be uber ships like at the top of the buildings in kotor that everyone will try to grab to get a lot of frags or will all the ships be relatively balanced?

Andy867
12-23-2003, 02:04 AM
Originally posted by Tinny
i wanna be unicron with giant lightsaber and cut the death star in half.... err just wondering, will there be uber ships like at the top of the buildings in kotor that everyone will try to grab to get a lot of frags or will all the ships be relatively balanced?

Well, relatively speaking, each of the ships are UBER and yet have their own distinct weaknesses. So they will be relatively balanced, although some might find one ship favorable to another and so forth and so on, and so on.

Kurgan
12-23-2003, 08:01 AM
Well, in my opinion the ships in Asteroids are not well balanced.
But let me qualify that statement, bear with me.

Asteroids is based on the concept of "dog fighting" which is essentially ship vs. ship combat.

There is no goal other than frags.

With this in mind, let's look at the ships (a bit vague since the mod isn't finished and some details are subject to change):

The Rebel ships are primarily slow, less manuverable, as well as big and bulky. Sure they have shields and missiles, but in the long run the only ship that can go toe to toe with a good Imperial ship is the A-Wing (so it seems).

The other Rebel ships rely on wingmen to cover them, and have to take long range and "lucky" shots against their enemies. In the time it takes them to get a frag, the faster ships can have gained several.

Also, the Rebel ships tend to come with droids, which (it may be fixed soon though) give you extra points when they are destroyed. Since the Imp ships have no droids, this means the Rebel ships are essentially worth more points.

Now the Imperial ships are all small, fast, and relatively manuverable (except maybe the Tie Bomber). They lack missiles (except the Bomber) and shields (except the Interceptor), but each of the ships are closer balanced to each other, so that it's easier to learn them, and the need for wingmen is less.

They can literally fly circles around the Y-Wing and nail the Rebel ships for easy points. Sure they get fragged, but they can still do a lot of damage before that happens since they're so hard to hit.

The exception is the Bomber which is a little slower. It isn't one I've mastered yet, but the idea with it is to stay back (while your buddies distract enemies) and nail them long range with missiles.

Overall I think that the dogfighting aspect favors the A-Wing and the Imperial ships. It's not impossible to be good with the other rebel ships, but the gameplay naturally flows in that direction.

That's not to say that the other ships aren't useful. I can use the -Wing, Z-95, Y-Wing being very useful for strafing runs in "ground combat" or capital ship/starbase style mission.

To overcome this "unbalance" the key is to have equal teams and ideally 4-16 players.

Godzilla
12-24-2003, 02:44 PM
That's a really good point, Kurgan. But, I think the X-wing can go toe to toe with quality Imp ships. But it takes an EXTREMELY talented pilot (Like in the X-wing book series). Do you think so, or am I just blowing hot air?

Willychu
12-24-2003, 04:51 PM
Whoah, I can see this map getting a wee bit popular.
I especially like the part where the X-wing blows three TIEs at once, in the video.
Are you gonna be releasing a beta version to the public?

Andy867
12-24-2003, 06:42 PM
No, it will be released once all the testing is done to make sure its as bug-free as possible. but we will definitely post some more teaser clips when the time is closer.

NoaNet
12-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Well the problem with KOTOR was that it was way too small... probably because the mapper didn't know about the distancecull option to make it so that you can see the whole map at the same time. So the ships fly very fast and get around that map too quickly.

He knew.He was doing somthing...well..you'll see........;)
BTW-
Not to be mean but he finished a Y-Wing,New Falcon,and Tie-Interceptor a while back :mad: He just made them to get them outa the way,he wont show me much n e more..but.....i think he wants us all to be supprised.

BTW:
Im just a messenger dude.
Dont kill the mssenger.
Nothing aginst Raven...maybe Lucas-arts..some of them...the idiots that limited raven on wtf they could do..

SITH 1000
12-25-2003, 08:37 PM
This is for Andy867. I'm waiting for you to battle with me. I have been waiting over a day

NoaNet
12-25-2003, 11:07 PM
Those were the words of any peacefull carolers on xmas night.
The realse is here.I was right and he wants as much suprise as possibal,thats right, KOTOR FLIGHT SCHOOL FINAL IS OUT!!!http://www.pcgamemods.com/3579/

http://www.pcgamemods.com/3579/

http://www.pcgamemods.com/3579/

Major improvments,see for yourself,note,this is a mappack and contains many new vehicles as well,such as- A-Wing,Y-Wing,Tie-Interceptor,Falcon(revised)Tie-Advanced,and custom creations such as-
KOTOR SABRE,PEGASUS,and tweaked ships from the first kfs.
Dont worry,the tweaks made them fair..:) enjoy it.

nOW AN OFFICAL TRUCE BETWEEN US AND RAVEN.
;)
:)
Well..play it...it kicks ass.

Andy867
12-26-2003, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by SITH 1000
This is for Andy867. I'm waiting for you to battle with me. I have been waiting over a day

Hate to break it to ya, but I avoid the battles since it takes away from my moderating of the Forums, but there are PLENTY of battlers out there, I am just not one of them.. sorry:(

Master William
12-26-2003, 03:18 AM
holy crap, it's out! :eek:

Master William
12-26-2003, 05:24 AM
vehicle extensions too large? (.veh) ?

I get this error when trying to load the map(s)... :mad:

Andy867
12-26-2003, 07:25 AM
I think that means you have one too many vehicles in loading up in JA, which probably means you have extra custom vehicles besides the ones for KOTOR Flight School Final. Apparently, JA can only support, by default (HINT HINT) 12 vehicles, which includes the ones already included in the game I believe, but if someone could check on that, that'd be great... Yea.... (lil shout-out to Office Space;) )

NoaNet
12-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Ok heres the offical rules for The kotor map pack:
*Feel free to spam this all over the net*
1.You need to get rid of ANY other map with any vehicle activity in them,they may contain un-seperate vehicles inside the pk3.
2.Take out all extra vehicle mods
3.You may only use ONE bonous ship at a time!
4.Have fun...and these arn't really rules...just...how to get the maps to work.
5.Um why is there a 5?Erm...I dunno.Im tired.Im a soup munster.Im your father----s left foot only best freind's brother's cusions uncles mom==='s best freind when she was dreaming im ben afleck!JK!Mhwaahaha I am Kaidon Refk!
6.I know a song that gets on esverybody's nerves!

Andy867
12-26-2003, 08:47 AM
Ok, it seems we have wondered off topic, so please get back to asteroids.If Kotor wants a thread, by all means, make one, or two even.

KOTORMRJay
12-26-2003, 05:38 PM
Actualy i dont want a thread but i do appricate seeing these comments. However the moderrator is right keep comments to the approate mod/maps its just rude to advertise or promote other mods and maps on other threds then the approate one.
but to the subject at hand I am very curious to see how you gents have set up the hyperspace , ie is it in the same style ? meanign the way i did it? I am also curious about your y wing it looked great in the video but my monitor is not the best so i could not see it as well as I would have liked. are any stills of it out ?
and lastly size did you get a light grid to work right on the size of this map ? and how is the lighting of the "fly through" asteroid looking ,(I am varry curious about that)
also I would have loved to have helped ! and if help is still neaded (it did look like you were close to done so I beleive I may be too late on that) feel free to ask .
I am also glad to see (despite what others think) other flight maps taken seriously .I think raven did a great job of making this possible and am very glad that someone has taken up on where my old .7 beta left off (at the mer glimpise of the posibilitys) to a full fledged map. (oddly my asteroids were not taken as well as expected so i did not overly re visit them ,but I did love them so I am very eager to test out yours it seriously looks like a fun map. well good job gentelman.

KOTORMRJay

Master William
12-26-2003, 06:03 PM
Ah well, to the thrash the Kotor maps go (sorry), unfortunately. I did everything you told me to, and the maps are still getting the same error. Ah well.

Lightning
12-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Ah well, to the thrash the Kotor maps go (sorry), unfortunately. I did everything you told me to, and the maps are still getting the same error. Ah well.

helped for me btw did you but one of the bonus maps in the base folder to?

kazesan
12-26-2003, 08:22 PM
So if asteroids and KOTOR are not one and the same, then it appears to me someone ripped someone else off. Seeing as how everything asteroids touted as being new and awesome is already in KOTOR. Although asteroids and KOTOR use the same vehicles so I will DL both.

KOTORMRJay
12-26-2003, 10:55 PM
Its not neccessary to delete like the man said look for ships in maps if the map has a drivable ship then you must remove it,its really not hard and I am expectign the asteroids map to have similer issues because we delt with similer problems. you are simpily missing a veh file in some map to make it easer try looking in the pk3s you have ,look for any prefix of "VEH" these are vehicles so if you see a map in you base ANY MAP" look in the pk3 see if you find a "VEH" file if so then this is what you will have to put in the hide folder. I have even heard somone tell me that one of the raven bonus maps had a vehicle in it if so then this too will have to be hidden. so come on it really is not a hard concept .
now to my question when are you gentelman releasing ?

Master William
12-26-2003, 11:11 PM
never mind, it worked. I wasn't gonna delete it, either...

KOTORMRJay
12-26-2003, 11:32 PM
Glad to help but i still want ot know when the release is schedulaed to .and if you want any help?

Andy867
12-27-2003, 05:41 AM
Originally posted by kazesan
So if asteroids and KOTOR are not one and the same, then it appears to me someone ripped someone else off. Seeing as how everything asteroids touted as being new and awesome is already in KOTOR. Although asteroids and KOTOR use the same vehicles so I will DL both.

Actually, its much more complicated since there will be 2 hangars(Rebel and Imperial), and as you will find our vehicles will be probably much different in looks, handling and stats. plus Asteroids utilizes the distancecull as ChangKahn has pointed out (as well as myself). Plus the Asteroids utilizes a working Radar and has the lead-target indicator, which helps for better accuracy in dog fighting. So there are enough differences so one map cannot be mistaken of being "ripped off" another, etc.

sup3rsnail
12-27-2003, 08:41 PM
Err, Forgive me if this has been asked already but...
Has Asteroids been released already?
It seems I see alot of threads with screenies from it.

Andy867
12-27-2003, 08:52 PM
No, it has not been released just yet. We are looking at January as the tentative release date of Asteroids. Manquesa is currently finishing up some of the vehicles like the T/I and TIE Advanced, so that he can work on the Y-wing and A-wing some more and get them all polished up.

sup3rsnail
12-27-2003, 09:03 PM
No, it has not been released just yet. We are looking at January as the tentative release date of Asteroids. Manquesa is currently finishing up some of the vehicles like the T/I and TIE Advanced, so that he can work on the Y-wing and A-wing some more and get them all polished up.

Ooo0 Ty. Looking forward to it.

Manquesa
12-28-2003, 06:05 AM
Hey KOTORMRJay, I just sent you a PM, I could use some help with a vehicle problem i'm having. Thanks.

alizerothree
12-28-2003, 06:34 AM
im also having the vehicle problem..... i installed JA...applied the patch...and dragged the files to my base folder.... what did i do wrong?

alizerothree
12-28-2003, 06:46 AM
ok so i open the pk3 with winzip. i found wampa and some other .veh files. when i try to delete them winzip just hangs with the busy icon and wont get rid of them.....

DarkLord_44
12-28-2003, 05:34 PM
anyone know how to change the distancecull so you can see farther?

NoaNet
12-29-2003, 05:48 PM
OMFG!!11ONE!
OMFG!!11ONE!
Theres a new PCGAMEMODS.COM file,called Y-Wing.
Guess what?It looks a whole lot like mrjays,which is what I thought as i registired to view the commets/post and i downloaded it,opened the pk3,and went to models>players> and i saw bonus_ship there.Nice try Thou Bitchy and Forever Homosexual freely faggot Dragoon.
Dont download this ****,instead,express your hate for it.
Dont let LUCASFILES.com post it.KOTORMRJay made this,and it pissess me off so damned much!

Manquesa
12-29-2003, 06:32 PM
yeah that's pretty messed up there NoaNet

Well, I still like my Y-wing better anyway.

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/manquesa/detail?.dir=/y-wing&.dnm=ywing1.jpg

http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/manquesa/detail?.dir=/y-wing&.dnm=ywing2.jpg

tFighterPilot
12-29-2003, 06:35 PM
This Master Dragoon is hilariously pathetic :D

http://www.pcgamemods.com/3615/c/

These are the best file comments ever! (I'm tFighterPilot BTW)

JDKnite188
12-29-2003, 06:49 PM
This project sounds great. Keep up the good work!

Andy867
01-02-2004, 08:38 PM
Ok, for some reason the official asteroid thread is having posting problems, so here is the latest. Manquesa has been busy with creating specular maps for the vehicles and hopefully, since the holidays are winding down, we can resume beta testing and release this baby:)

Well with the new year comes new screenies.. Here is what Manquesa has been busy with.. So enjoy the TIE Advanced with specular mapping ;)

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/shot0008.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/shot0009.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/shot0010.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/shot0011.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/shot0012.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/shot0013.jpg

Sam Fisher
01-02-2004, 11:14 PM
*Drools* When is it coming out!?

Syzerian
01-03-2004, 02:58 AM
ok ill resite kurgans official words for you
"it will be done when its done":p
looks cool
just tell me one thing....... is the controlling hard to get used to like the sp swoops barely turning?

Andy867
01-03-2004, 06:49 AM
No the controls are less of a learning curve.. Obviously during dogfighting you will be required to do some sharp turning, so make sure nothing is blocking your mouse or you're dead:)

Syzerian
01-03-2004, 07:56 AM
ill keep that in mind:)

Alegis
01-03-2004, 08:22 AM
screenies look awesome, nice map indeed!
A bit strange though, from a jedi game to a multiplayer Rogue Squadron :p (with other words, every mod that radicaly changes the gameplay and is good, is perfect)

Master William
01-03-2004, 08:57 AM
Just hope this won't turn out like Battlefield 1942, where two people dogfighting keep turning and turning until they lose each other. I hate turning, because if both are turning, you can might as well prepare for turning for hours...

Crow_Nest
01-03-2004, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
*Drools* When is it coming out!?

2 words. "Next Year". What andy said. :p

Sam Fisher
01-03-2004, 12:54 PM
No I wanted a kinda specific date, but I guess not, eh?

Lightning
01-03-2004, 02:43 PM
Just hope this won't turn out like Battlefield 1942, where two people dogfighting keep turning and turning until they lose each other. I hate turning, because if both are turning, you can might as well prepare for turning for hours...

know what you mean but truning the other way helps some times

GothiX
01-03-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
2 words. "Next Year". What andy said. :p
That'd be 2005, seeing as you posted Januari 1st.

Andy867
01-03-2004, 05:31 PM
We are hoping for a mid-late Jan. release, but anything could happen. Could be sooner, could be later;) But no specific dates just yet.

Sam Fisher
01-03-2004, 06:11 PM
Yay, that's cool :D I wanna try it;)

SlapNut
01-04-2004, 05:36 AM
oh come on! release the bloody thing already, it looks great, and will lots of different vehicles be in, that be cool.

Tinny
01-05-2004, 02:36 AM
hey guys, this has probably been requested already. But what i would love to see coded into asteroids is the ability to be a passenger in a vehicle but man the guns :cool: Hope it gets implemented :)

SlapNut
01-05-2004, 02:51 AM
that would be awsome, like the melenium falcon, but awsomer, nice

Andy867
01-05-2004, 05:55 AM
Well, currently the biggest problem with 2-passenger vehicles is that the client side of the passenger cannot predict where the pilot client machine is going, so it causes this "chugging" effect. However, there has been some ideas to possibly help compensate for this, just have to make them and test them:)

Syzerian
01-05-2004, 07:54 AM
thats whats good about it
it makes it harder but if you can master it its lethal

Agen
01-06-2004, 12:19 AM
2 squid i'm the worst pilot :)

Andy867
01-08-2004, 03:04 AM
Well, the A-wing specular textures are done, and the y-wing specular textures are virtually done, so all we need to do now is test out some new things, maybe make some more promotional stuff, and then release this baby:)

Neverhoodian
01-08-2004, 03:59 AM
All right! Sounds like it's ready to be released soon. I look forward to it!:biggs:

Kurgan
01-13-2004, 03:18 AM
Sounds good! ; )

Andy867
01-13-2004, 03:54 AM
Well, here is some progress of how the specular mapping is coming along. Funny how a guy with Zero editing skill (me) can make decent looking specular textures (for the ships)

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/awing_spec1.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/awing_spec2.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/awing_spec3.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/awing_spec4.jpg

Enjoy for now!
http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/ywing_spec1.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/ywing_spec2.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/ywing_spec3.jpg

http://videostrategy.jediknight.net/comic/pictures/ywing_spec4.jpg

Enjoy! (dont worry about the landing gear, it is just a minor bug in the compiling which has since been fixed)

Jedi Luke
01-13-2004, 01:24 PM
Geez that's some awesome stuff! :)

Will there be joystick capabilities?

Andy867
01-13-2004, 10:43 PM
Dunno.. Probably since I do believe there is an option under the controls that deal with Joysticks and such. I personally prefer the keyboard/mouse for this. Gives me a more personalized feel to it, even if it lacks the realism of flight control:p

Jedi Luke
01-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Dunno.. Probably since I do believe there is an option under the controls that deal with Joysticks and such. I personally prefer the keyboard/mouse for this. Gives me a more personalized feel to it, even if it lacks the realism of flight control:p

Fair enough. I prefer for the realism flight control. I find it much easier to fly with a joystick rather than mouse. That's what comes when you play X-Wing vs Tie Fighter and X-Wing Alliance.

Andy867
01-13-2004, 11:31 PM
I would agree on most flight sims, that a joystick is more practical than the keyboard/mouse combination, but for JA, at least this map, the keyboard/mouse combination seems more fitting. But I will leave the decision up to the public, once the map is released.

Jedi Luke
01-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I would agree on most flight sims, that a joystick is more practical than the keyboard/mouse combination, but for JA, at least this map, the keyboard/mouse combination seems more fitting. But I will leave the decision up to the public, once the map is released.

Good idea. Get the up and running map working first then work on expanding it based on public opinions and ideas.

Neverhoodian
01-14-2004, 01:43 AM
Wow! Those screenies are impressive. I especially like the A-Wing shots. :naughty:

Kurgan
01-14-2004, 01:46 AM
I disagree, the map should be finished and polished THEN released (in final form).

Releasing it 'as is' or partly done leads to "version hell."

You know the type, you see it on Pcgamemods every day, version after version, leading to confusion. How can a server host a mod if a new version keeps coming out?

And while public feedback is commended, this isn't a "community creation" and we can't just throw in every feature or tweak that people request, since as we know the community is hardly in agreement on anything and it will just mean more delays and versions, etc.

Fixing bugs are one thing, but constantly tweaking gameplay and adding everyone's favorite ship will mean major headaches for the team.

Manquesa
01-14-2004, 02:43 AM
well, the whole joystick thing is already an option for any map be it a flight map or otherwise. Just turn on the joystick in the control configuration settings. I've tried out flying vehicles in JA with a joystick already, but I personally don't like it for the simple reason that you lose control over the targeting reticle which means it's so much harder to aim. Using a joystick would be fine if you have auto aiming but otherwise you need the mouse to point your crosshair, which is why I prefer the keyboard/mouse setup instead.

So anyway, if you wanna use a joystick on the Asteroids map go ahead, it's your choice. (once it's released of course) :)

Alegis
01-14-2004, 03:17 PM
I agree with Kurgan there, how much I want Asteroids released each day as I play Rebel Strike, it has to be kinda finished in the first version (the longer you wait the better it'll be :) ) The only thing i would find repetive in this mod is the map, but that can be fixed easily (no inspiration? play some rogue squadron!)

oh man that game looks so awesome

Kurgan
01-15-2004, 02:54 AM
The other thing to keep in mind when waiting for Asteroids is that this will NOT BE THE LAST FLIGHT MAP EVER MADE.

There will be nothing to stop people from examining the way Asteroids is made and using that knowledge to make their own flight maps with the improved ships and similar features.

I'm not saying they'll be encouraged to rip it off, but it's no different than making a good CTF map or FFA map.

You check out good maps and see what kind of features go into making a quality product and do likewise in your own.

So this doesn't have to be the end-all be-all of flight maps.

It's really just a simple dog-fighting map where you can test out some ships.

It's more versatile, streamlined and pretty than KOTOR Flight School as well.

So don't worry if Asteroids lacks your favorite ship or feature, because once it's out I'm sure there will be plenty more flight-space based maps out there.

The current crop of ship-based maps is extremely lacking, mainly I think because people don't realize what can be done, they just think making a huge box and tossing in some random vehicle spawns is enough to make it fun.

This should change people's perceptions and lead to more quality flight maps.

Andy867
01-15-2004, 03:01 AM
Yea, especially like the whole hyperspace effect, and the working Radar and Lead Target indicator. Definitely makes this map the cornerstone for future Space combat maps. And what would be cool is interweaving Space combat with ground combat. I know the Stargate mod was planning something similar to that idea, but due to lack of modding support, the Mod was eventually put on the backburner. But liek Kurgan said this will definitely NOT be the last good Flight map. This is just the beginning.:)

SlapNut
01-15-2004, 09:11 AM
"And what would be cool is interweaving Space combat with ground combat"

hey, i was thinking of this before, like a seige map where u fly your ship (and kill other ships of course) to another planet or space station, get out of it, then whip ya light sabre out and start hacking stuff and people like in normal seige, once you have destroyed or colected what u want from that planet/base, u then fly to the next place and do the enxt part of the seige. yeah i know what ya thinking "that would be way laggy and be mega huge", ah well im sure that if someone smart sat down and workrd on it it would work someday

GothiX
01-15-2004, 09:48 AM
... this will NOT BE THE LAST FLIGHT MAP EVER MADE.

Thanks, that's so going to haunt me from now on.

Lightning
01-15-2004, 02:47 PM
i saw a ship on jk2files.com where a second person could use a nother turret on the ship that's would be nice to work out. then me be will get space battles with full size star destroyers and stuff like that :p

manoman81
01-15-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey, Kurgan, Andy, or who ever, where can I find the trailer for Asteroids? I have a friend that wants to see but I can't get it to load up off of the jk.net main page. Thanks

Andy867
01-15-2004, 11:19 PM
At the meantime, the Asteroids trailer is only available on JK.net but we soon going to be making a new one with new stuff in it, which will kind of make the current trailer somewhat obsolete. So, just look forward to more news coming in the next week or so:) You could use like Download accelerator to obtain the files. just install it from www.speedbit.com and then right click on which ever file and click download with DAP and it has download resume support:)

JDKnite188
01-16-2004, 02:40 AM
Wow. Those screenies are looking amazing (at least the models). I can't wait to see this project in full. Are you developers modifying JA's vehicle code somehow?

Andy867
01-16-2004, 03:12 AM
Not that I am aware of, but I do know that Manquesa was able to fix the muzzle effect to that it shoots forward and not off to the side (apparently some problem in the Q3A). I personally cannot wait to release this and go up against the best fighter pilots out there:) Should be awesome. And Manquesa, working on the LOD's, is certainly wanting to get this project done:)

Manquesa
01-16-2004, 04:56 AM
well, the muzzle thing was a mistake I had made before that I fixed, nothing wrong in the game itself with that.

I think that everything is pretty much done except for my stuff which means I better get back to work. But i'll give an update on where I stand now.

Awing -- 99%, just need to do the LOD's

Y-wing -- 90%, need to fix landing gear animation, muzzletags, and do LOD's

Tie-Interceptor -- 99%, just need to do LOD's (though we may go with 7IM's tie interceptor instead, I think I may like his better)

TIe-Advanced -- 99%, just need to the LOD"s

well, back to work I go, hopefully we can get this thing out real soon. keep your fingers crossed :D

SlapNut
01-17-2004, 10:07 AM
more updated please, cmon cmon cmon, hurry up and finnish it, cos at one stage it was a "christmas presant" accorfing to jediknight.net...well thats true i guess... for next christmas!

nah im just mucking around mate, but seriously, hurry up, this looks too good

Lightning
01-17-2004, 03:15 PM

I think that everything is pretty much done except for my stuff which means I better get back to work. But i'll give an update on where I stand now.

you must love the fact that every ones waiting on you :rolleyes:

Manquesa
01-17-2004, 05:14 PM
Hehe, yeah the pressure's on.

Well here's where I stand now.

A-wing: DONE!!

Tie-Interceptor: DONE!!

Tie-Advanced: DONE!!

Y-wing: 97% (need to do the LOD's still and I need to figure out how to set up the bones for the turret)

Hopefully this thing will be done soon but I really don't know where we stand on the map itself though. The hangars as well as the big Asteroid in the middle of the map were being completely remade, I think they're just about done but i'm still waiting to hear something on that.

But i'm still keeping my fingers crossed that all will be done and released within the next week or so, hopefully not much longer than that.

Alegis
01-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Yeehaw! Stay on target..stay on target..

that is great news..but can we have some footage or screenies..please? to get pumped up :)

Andy867
01-18-2004, 03:58 AM
Well, once everything is finished in terms of modelling and such, we will definitely get the last of the testing in and also produce some footage for your viewing pleasure:)

TBS_SDF
01-19-2004, 10:02 PM
I can't wait for this map! Do you know when you guys are going to put it up for D/L?

Andy867
01-19-2004, 10:16 PM
Well, we are currently awaiting back to get the updated map, and then we will be testing this weekend hopefully and are aiming for a release for tentatively next week sometime. We will try to get some footage of the updated vehicles just before the release. but dont expect to see too much in it. be more of just a teaser clip than anything really

Neo_Knight
01-20-2004, 12:58 AM
*Nk wearing his tie-pilot suit* :tie:

It's time to kick some rebel's ass !

AIVAS
01-20-2004, 01:18 AM
Kotor final has an asteroids version, not as good as what asteroids will be, but a great way tto hol over, also some other good modes to it, go check it out.

SlapNut
01-20-2004, 01:36 AM
Good stuff Andy, i know that by the looks of it, its gonna be great, awesome, super. Lets hope it IS gonna be released next week. cant wait

Andy867
01-20-2004, 06:03 AM
Ok, both asteroid threads have been merged into one in the hopes that it will help simplify in finding the one thread to post updates and comments on the project.

Manquesa
01-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Okay, just finished.

A-Wing -- DONE!!!!

Tie-Interceptor -- DONE!!!!

Tie-Advanced -- DONE!!!!

Y-Wing -- DONE!!!!!!!!!!

Finally!

Now I can get back to work on my Slave 1 and Death Glider

t3rr0r
01-21-2004, 12:10 AM
mmm... slave i...

Andy867
01-23-2004, 09:32 AM
Well, this weekend we will be Finally wrapping up the testing which means there is a 99.9% chance that Asteroids will be released this upcoming week. What day for sure? Not able to say just yet, but things are looking pretty good with the new hangars and new asteroid modelled, plus Manquesa finishing up the Vehicles and all their stats and eye candy:)

Crow_Nest
01-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Yay! Finally its almost done! I look forward to it. :)

SlapNut
01-23-2004, 10:42 AM
sweet, ill say it again, i cant wait.

Giddamon
01-24-2004, 05:59 PM
Sorry if this has been asked before but...I read about the asteroid map being 90K cubic units.

1 metre = xxx units? :confused:

Andy867
01-24-2004, 06:36 PM
90,000 units as noted in the map editor that was used to create the map. Its not based on any metric system, I believe.

Amidala from Chop Shop
01-24-2004, 10:08 PM
When it is released I will convert my instagib server to an Asteroids server running the map\mod 24/7. It is a 12-player server hosted by www.escapedturkey.com. The IP address is 66.98.188.141.

Any suggestions for timelimit and fraglimit?

Andy867
01-24-2004, 10:11 PM
fraglimit should be fairly high, at least 100-200 since when ships with droids count as 2, and sometimes when we were just testing with 2 people, for 15 minutes, it got to be like 59-39 so with many people, like 6 vs 6, it should yield some high scores. Timelimit.. When we tested, we really didnt use a timelimit, since it was just the 2 maps.. one with the huge asteroid and one without it, which allowed for a little more dogfighting room.

SlapNut
01-25-2004, 05:14 AM
theres 2 maps now? nice. what other features apart from flying the ships r there if any? or arnt i aloud to know