PDA

View Full Version : Best Movies?

Orca Wail
01-03-2004, 11:35 PM
So...as we can see...
...two ends of the spectrum...
...praising and b*tching....

I'm not certain where to begin, but i'd say...

ALIEN

JURRASIC PARK

MONTY PYTHONS HOLY GRAIL

A LEAGUE OF THEIR OWN (a weird one to throw in a list like this!)

FINDING NEMO...challenge me, and you will die...:¬:

Disscuss...sss..sss...

DrMcCoy
01-03-2004, 11:43 PM
i would like to add:

Monty Pythons Life of Brian
PI
LotR (1-3)
Matrix (the first one)
The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy
Spaceballs
Dune (the "old" version")

and i don't aggree with Jurassic Park (it was boring and predictable like hell) *duck*

Shivermetimbers
01-04-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by DrMcCoy

The Hitchhickers Guide to the Galaxy

they made it into a movie??? where was I???

I agree with the "finding Nemo"

Pirates of the Caribbean

Snatch

Fight Club

And my number one, all time favorite best movie EVER

Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels

Skinkie
01-04-2004, 04:43 AM
Raiders of the Lost Ark
The Last Crusade
Ghostbusters
Men in Black
Young Frankenstein
Flatliners

Add these to the list.

MrManager
01-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Depends if you're talking personal favorites or actually best movies evar.

If it's the latter, I'd say:

Barton Fink
Casablanca
Citizen Kane
Chinatown
Don't Look Now
His Girl Friday
Notorious

Branik
01-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Blues Brothers
Dodes'ka-den
Legend Of The Drunken Master
Ocean's Eleven (the original one)
LOTR 1-3
Ghostbusters
It's a Wonderful Life

Gabez
01-04-2004, 10:05 AM
I'd have to say LOTR. ;~

DrMcCoy
01-04-2004, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by Shivermetimbers
they made it into a movie??? where was I???

not really a movie...
they made a tv series with 6 parts, wich ended like the radio thing after they found out the wrong question on the prehistoric earth

AdisAbeba
01-04-2004, 11:09 AM
monty pythons holy grail and life of brian
the lord of the rings
grosse pointe blank
star wars (episodes 4-6)
indiana jones
shrek
ice age
and a movie called "ein verrückt genialer coup" i don't know the english title. it's about a bank robbery, with bill murray and geena davis.

muskawo
01-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Here's my list

American History X
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
The War
Momento
Dazed and Confused
Orange County
Ferris Buellers Day Off
High Fidelity
Donnie Darko
The Matrix

Ummm, thats all I can think of at the moment. Sorry if some already got mentioned...

Oh, and I've gotta say, when I was about 11 I loved Jurassic Park with a passion, then I read the book and the movie kinda sucked... well, not sucked, but as a kid, it was when I first realised how much movies can be changed from the books, and I didn't like it. There are so many cool parts in the book they left out.:mad:

Orca Wail
01-05-2004, 12:57 AM
@Dr.McCoy: good thing you ducked...:evil5: Naw, maybe later...

@RemiO: I dun know. Personal favorites, this is turning into. Oh, well. Call it evolution.

@muskawo: Yes, Jurrasic Park the book tis better then the movie. The raptors are smarter, and...well...GO READ IT, EVERYONE ELSE! Now...

wait...you were 11 when you read Jurrasic Park!?:eek:
Wait...:dozey: are you one of those wierd people who read Frankenstien or the Scarlet Letter at six...?

Kjølen
01-05-2004, 01:45 AM
Definately the Secret of Monkey Island Movie.
Oh, you probably haven't heard of it. Nevermind ;)

Honestly, LOTR series, Pirates of the Caribbean, anything InuYasha, Love Hina or Crest of the Stars.
Hmmm....

Alien426
01-05-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by AdisAbeba
and a movie called "ein verrückt genialer coup" i don't know the english title. it's about a bank robbery, with bill murray and geena davis.
Quick Change (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0100449/)

Mine are:
Aliens, Alien, Alien³
LOTR, Indiana Jones
James Bond (the Connerys and Live And Let Die)
Pulp Fiction, Grosse Pointe Blank, Ghost Dog
Fight Club
Hatari!, Raising Arizona, Groundhog Day
RoboCop, Starship Troopers
Star Wars, Stargate
Batman Returns, The Nightmare Before Christmas
Lethal Weapon, Die Hard, Predator

Skinkie
01-05-2004, 02:36 PM
Stargate the movie wasn't so good, I mean it was good, but not one of the best movies ever, the show however is fantastic.

James Isaac
01-05-2004, 05:54 PM
Indiana Jones (all of them)
PotC

Mex
01-05-2004, 08:06 PM
My only favorite movie had to be Pirates of the Carribiean. Excellent film.

Joshi
01-05-2004, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by Orca Wail
FINDING NEMO...challenge me, and you will die...:¬:

I never back away from a challenge. :D

Okay, now first of all, I personaly wouldn't put Jurassic Park in if only because it was great, had a great score and so on, but lacked a little something.

I've Never seen a league of their own and therefore can't comment.

Alien is justified completely.

Monty Python and the search for the Holy Grail.

Well, it was good, but Life of Brian blew it away completely.

Now, onto the subject in hand.

Finding Nemo you've put as this great film. Sorry to open your eyes, but it wasn't that great. Don't get me wrong, it was brilliant, something we've come to expect from pixar, but all it really was was a landmark for raking in the big bucks. highest grossing animated film ever. May I point out that both Toy Story's, A bugs Life and Monsters Inc were huge hits. No, Not as huge as Finding Nemo, but that's because now at Finding Nemo, pixar have developed a reputation for producing quality films and so people expected it to be great. film critics and reviewers expected it to be so great infact, that they seldom picked up on any of the flaws. Now, I'm not going to name them, but no film is flawless, and all critics have a way of finding them and blowing them up into something much bigger than they should be, they just expected so much of this one that the great things outweighed the bad and so the critics didn't notice them. ut they were there.

Quite simply, it was a sweet little story told in a good way, with stellar effects (can I use that word?), but that was all it was, nothing that special.

Certainly not worth putting up with the Likes of The Lord of the Rings, or even Alien.

There, I've said it.

Shivermetimbers
01-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Toy Story was horrible. The only thing worse was the second one. Don't even mention it in this thread.

Finding Nemo was well done, had excellent animation and was very clever. For example, the lobsters with Maine accents. Or the Austrailian shark named Bruce. Stuff like that.

Also, I forgot to mention:
Best in Show
A Mighty Wind
We Are Spinal Tap
Waiting for Guffman

All hilarious.

Orca Wail
01-06-2004, 02:00 AM
*growls ferally at Joshi*
Just you wait...just you wait...:mad:

I think "Finding Nemo" is also sort of a "chick-flick", in a way. All my guy friends think its absolutely stupid, while my same-gender friends...well...we greet eachother online with silent screams of "Bubbles!BUBBLES!":rolleyes:

So naturally, Joshi, you, don't understand. No men do.

At least you apperciate the animation...*gets all southerny* Ah like that in a man! :D

I'm starting to agree with the Jurrasic Park comments. Oh, well. You people continue to corrupt me .

Shivers...those are Maine accents? Cooooool... :cool: . I always wanted to visit there, anyway...and now i know how Maine people talk! :D

Alien...thats my boy! Alien 4 sucked!:) And NBX was awesome!

muskawo
01-06-2004, 03:30 AM
wait...you were 11 when you read Jurrasic Park!?:eek:
Wait...:dozey: are you one of those wierd people who read Frankenstien or the Scarlet Letter at six...? [/B]

Actually, I read it when i was 12. I got jurassic park and The Lost World for Christmas the same year and read both. That when when I started reading"adult" books (more out of a lack of anything else to read.) My creative writing teacher in year 9 hated that fact that I was reading Stephen king, but loved that I was reading to kill a mockingbird, while most of the kids in my year level thought reading sucked. It's kinda ironic that I started reading harry potter (a 'children's' book) when I was 17. But at least I'm not in the minority there.

Joshi
01-06-2004, 06:02 PM
So naturally, Joshi, you, don't understand. No men do.

Oh don't get me wrong, the whole things rocked! it was great, I loved every minute of it (the flaws I talk about are the kind no one sees unless they're looking through a magnifying glass and telescope that identifies bad scripting and odd subplots, not saying Nemo had any... or did it?) and even (almost) cried at parts (I'm a huge sentimentalist, it was a mistake to take me to LOTR:TROTK).

It just wasn'y as great as some really really really great movies.

And Toy Story was cool! Damn you to hell timbers!

SamNMax
01-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by muskawo
My creative writing teacher in year 9 hated that fact that I was reading Stephen king, but loved that I was reading to kill a mockingbird, while most of the kids in my year level thought reading sucked.

Yeah, I was like that, too. Two of my favorite movies are the two "IT"s (Never read the books). Though, at the time, Pennywise scarred the Hell out of me.

Orca Wail
01-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Joshi
(I'm a huge sentimentalist, it was a mistake to take me to LOTR:TROTK).

Aww, did we go wee-wee-wah-wah at da movie? Awww....

I did too...

*RUNS!*

PS Joshi...stop looking at movies too closely. I used to, so everything sucked. Then I stopped, and everything was THE BEST MOVIE IN THE WORLD. :dozey: I had to re-learn cyncism...

Yufster
01-06-2004, 09:36 PM
In no particular order...

1. Indiana Jones (All)
I love Swashbuckling action.

2. Moulin Rouge
I also love a good love story, and Moulin Rouge was also full of pretty lights, and I mean, C'MON! Toulouse Lautrec!

3. It's a Wonderful Life
Because it's a classic and a feel-good christmas movie, and it shows that the good things you do in life do matter, in movies at least.

4. The Living Daylights
I'm not a real Bond fan I guess, but Timothy Dalton was my favourite Bond, and also The Living Daylights was a lot more romantic and swashbuckling than the others. I preferred the locations, and the kick-ass soundtrack.

5. Labyrinth
This is an old Classic with David Bowie and Jennifer Connolly, about a girl who wishes her baby brother away to the Goblins. It's pretty cheesy and old, but it was my favourite childhood movie and I stand by it as being one of the awesomest movies ever.

6. Back to the Future (All)
These movies were just so damn cool, I don't even need to tell you why.

7. Michael Collins
Man, that movie was great.

8. A Bugs Life
Come on, seriously, this had the most colorful and awesome cast in the history of movies, ever!

9. Monty Python
He's not the messiah, he's just a very naughty boy!

10. Peter Pan (The New One)
It was so damn cute.

Ernil
01-07-2004, 02:14 AM
Beauty and the Beast, me hearties. It's the only way to go for a cinematic experience.

Seriously. It's a good movie.

Skinkie
01-07-2004, 02:18 AM
Labyrinth? Oh man, that scene with those dancing things that can take their head off is so bizarre, and so fake, yet strangely appealing....

DrMcCoy
01-07-2004, 07:33 AM
My creative writing teacher in year 9 hated that fact that I was reading Stephen king, but loved that I was reading to kill a mockingbird, while most of the kids in my year level thought reading sucked.

mmmh... that sounds quite familiar :D
(except i didn't have a "creative writing teacher"...)

It's kinda ironic that I started reading harry potter (a 'children's' book) when I was 17. But at least I'm not in the minority there.

and i never read harry potter (urgh)...

Alien426
01-07-2004, 07:49 AM
You should give it a try, though.

I cried big cocodile tears when I read Order Of The Phoenix. I know, I'm such a wuss.

Disregard the hype around Harry Potter and read the books. Is all I can say.

DrMcCoy
01-07-2004, 08:08 AM
my sister is a potter-fanatic and i really don't want to become that way...

i saw the two movies though...
imho they were partly funny but mostly sucked...

besides there a still many "science fiction story reader" books i have to read laying around here...

Alien426
01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
I watched the first movie, too, and it sucked. As opposed to LOTR it was a terrible book-to-movie translation. It didn't look a bit like I imagined it would and they butchered the story pretty badly.

Can totally relate to the "books I have to read lying around" you mentioned. I end up buying too many books, too.

Joshi
01-07-2004, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Ernil
Beauty and the Beast, me hearties. It's the only way to go for a cinematic experience.
Seriously. It's a good movie.

Best movie since The Little Mermaid... what are you looking at?

Seriously, it was actually a quality film.

And Orca, it went backwards for me, I was brought up on Disney and so had an optomists veiw on everything. The I grew up and started reading film review magazines and turned cynical. It's nice to find a balance now whichc is why at the time, I loved Nemo, but usually I get home and about an hour later sit up in my chair and say "Wait a minute!" at which point my family's looking at me waiting for something and I just slump back down in my chair, embarassed and watch Bargain Hunt (parents choice).

I will watch a film closely critically if I read a (bad) review about it first. Otherwise I'll juts sit back and enjoy.

Shivermetimbers
01-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by Yufster

I'm not a real Bond fan I guess, but Timothy Dalton was my favourite Bond, and also The Living Daylights was a lot more romantic and swashbuckling than the others.

You like DALTON??? OH MY HEAD HOW IT PAINS ME!!!

*Dies*
I personally HATE Timothy Dalton. DESPISE. LOATHE. These words are not strong enough. He's just so.... dumb. And the two Bond movies he's in didn't have good plots really. The only part I like is the cello-sledding incident.

muskawo
01-08-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Alien426

I cried big cocodile tears when I read Order Of The Phoenix. I know, I'm such a wuss.

I didn't cry at first, I was just in shock. Then I cried at Harry's reaction. I think JK Rowling did really well in OoTP because harry really did start thinking like a teenager. But anyway (I used to hang out at HP forums, so...yeah)

You're right about the hype, it put me off for ages, then I was bored up at the beach during summer, and my sister had it sitting there, so I started reading... and read them all in one day each (actually GoF took two days :P)

The movies were crap, but the third one might pick up, with the new director and all.

Joshi
01-08-2004, 03:53 PM

I don't care about the hype, I simply won't read it on principal. I was forced to watch the movie by my sister (who is ironically 5 years older than me) and despite the awful acting, it seemed to be a good story, but I still won't read it, I just hate it with a passion.

Skinkie
01-08-2004, 04:21 PM
Ah, that's pretty much the same situation as me, forced to watch the movies, thought eh they're ok, but still refusin to read the books.

Alien426
01-08-2004, 05:14 PM
The point we were trying to make was that the movies where nowhere near OK. At least when compared to the books. Guess that didn't deliver. Let me try again:

The movies suck!

Skinkie
01-14-2004, 02:00 AM
Oooo, colorful.

Joshi
01-14-2004, 04:52 PM
The point we were trying to make was that the movies where nowhere near OK. At least when compared to the books. Guess that didn't deliver. Let me try again:

The movies suck!

Well, i can't and won't really compare it to the books because like I said before (broken record time) I hate it with a passion, I just will not read the books, they're not my type of books (LOTR are my kind of books, but Harry Potter isn't)

Speaking of which, I'm going to watch return of the king for the second time, so see ya!

SamNMax
01-14-2004, 08:52 PM
I hate Harry Potter because it's so unrealistic. Now LOTR, there's a realistic tale. ;)

Shivermetimbers
01-14-2004, 10:00 PM

The movies suck!

SO FREAKING TRUE!! the movies are awful. I hate them. Ron is too short. Hermione is annoying. The old dmbledore was too.. old but he died so I don't have to hate him anymore. Malfoy is too small. Crabbe and goyle aren't dumb enough. And they do NOT follow the books well enough.

By the way Orca, I drew pictures of Death in my notebook today. He's so cute!

Kjølen
01-15-2004, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by SamNMax
I hate Harry Potter because it's so unrealistic. Now LOTR, there's a realistic tale. ;)

Yeah, hidden governments is way to unrealistic, but completely different worlds, not meaning other planets, just other worlds with elves, dwarves, and hobbits is waaaaaay more realistic. ;)

And I strongly say do NOT judge the books by the movies, there is emotions, a LOT of emotions in the books that the movies did not show.

Udvarnoky
01-15-2004, 12:42 AM
Stupid Lord of the Rings Over-rate-ers.

SamNMax
01-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Yeah, it is pretty overrated.

Ernil
01-15-2004, 04:14 AM
Hey. I want to be on the "Stupid and Asking to Die" list too!

Orca Wail
01-15-2004, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by Shivermetimbers
By the way Orca, I drew pictures of Death in my notebook today. He's so cute!

We knew you'd come around, my dear...
<evil laff>AHAHHAHAHAHA! :lol: </evil laff>

Hmm...no good movies with Death (note the captial d) in them. That make ORCA MAD!*ram/rantpage* I guess, cause ol' Deathy boy is better off just looking pretty, instead of some idiot director giving him a voice. I can't stand the weirdness of DiscWorld, but they would make for some good movies...

Off-Topic: I once tried to write a story with a robed skeleton guy who everybody thought was Death, so he would get pissed off and blow everybody away anyway. See why its "tried"? :D

TODAY...Snoooooow DAY!

today we watch...Pirates of the Carribean
Donie Darko
Alien (if i can find it...*sob*)
THe Matrix.

Stop looking at me like that. The first Matrix was one of the best movie of the last century...heehee...but the ones made in the new millieum can't hold a torch, in my opinion, to the orginal.
:twogun: *Cue in Moby* Doo-y Dooo!

Ray Jones
01-16-2004, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by Yufster

1. Indiana Jones (All)
I love Swashbuckling action.

the best is indy no. 3 .. hmm. just because it has a special place in my childhood memories. and also i love that one phrase.. Ahh. Venice.

directly behind it (very direct) is indy no. 1
then comes indy number 2.

muskawo
01-16-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by RayJones
the best is indy no. 3 .. hmm. just because it has a special place in my childhood memories. and also i love that one phrase.. Ahh. Venice.

Man that movie rocked. My sister and I got it when we were little for christmas so I've probably seen it HUNDREDS of times. You know when you're about seven or eight and you watch the same movie over and over? Ah...memories.

My friend recently got me one of those big indy cutouts they had at stores to advertise the release of the dvds. His whip was broken :( . I never went to pick it up though. I wonder if he still has it?

Joshi
01-16-2004, 05:47 PM
I can't stand the weirdness of DiscWorld, but they would make for some good movies...

It's that simple weirdness that makes it so real, it has been satted as a world and a mirror of worlds, and that's true because you will always see elements of our world in it (like the Ankh being an exact replica of the Thames in London) and it's also a lot more down to earth. It's like a hyper-realistic painting, but with words.

Anyway, yes, they would make for good movies, if made by the right people. the animated versions of Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music, were crap.

For some reason, seeing ROTK for the second time wasn't as good as the first time, for some reason I just wasn't as choked up (actually I wasn't choked up at all) this time, probably because I knew what was gonna happen (dialogue and that, I knew the story the first time round). Or it might have been because the girl I was seeing it with just happened to laugh at the wrong time (like any scene with Gollum).

And Indy 3 is by far the best because of Connery. :D