PDA

View Full Version : another interview: Jim Tso, LucasArts producer


Hermie
01-17-2004, 09:07 PM
linkedy-doo (http://www.1up.com/article2/0,4364,1435716,00.asp)

it reveals/confirms a little more than we already have heard, like:

so: We'll offer both first and third-person perspectives for both infantry units and vehicles. It's up to player preference. There will definitely be turrets that players can man, both anti-vehicle and anti-infantry as well.

the Republic will have a clone trooper with a jet pack.

thank you! hope it works better than the JA one :|

1UP: Famous personalities - who'll make a cameo and in what way?

Tso: This hasn't yet been fully determined, but it's probably a safe bet to expect a certain Dark Lord of the Sith.

More than one player can enter most vehicles. For example, the Republic Gunship currently has 6 slots for players to man turrets and blasters.

The AT-AT will definitely be in the game, as will be the AT-ST, speeder bikes, Rebel snowspeeders, X-wings, TIE Fighters, Republic Gunship, and other assorted vehicles from the movies.

thats the outline of the new stuff, but if you wanna read the interview, go ahead, make my day be my guest.

eastcoast2895
01-17-2004, 09:43 PM
this is cool, i didn't know that galatic conquest will be multiplayer also. that's going to be awesome. really hope they release a demo or something to help the wait until december.

ZBomber
01-17-2004, 09:44 PM
A demo would be awesome. I dunno if I can hold in the excitemnt. ^_^

Hermie
01-17-2004, 10:02 PM
*thinks of demo*

*becomes very happy*

*jumps around in circles*

*remembers demo isnt out yet*

*drops to floor*

*is really sad*

The_One
01-17-2004, 11:03 PM
Ooo, AT-ATs :D I want a fully functional, full size AT-AT that moves properly. I don't think any game has successfully pulled that off yet...

This game has so much potential, unyet so much potential also for it to be a complete failure :p

Hermie
01-17-2004, 11:54 PM
yes, but I cant think of more than 3 character spaces in the AT-AT; the "driver" and two turrets. Republic Gunship, on the other hand, has six spaces. how terrifying it must be to be a rebel solider lying in the trenches on Hoth, watching the AT-ATs drawing closer, blasting more and more of your mates around you.

lukeiamyourdad
01-18-2004, 03:48 AM
You forget that the AT-AT can probably carry troopers in its hull ;)

I wonder how they'll balance these out. There's no way a regular troopers can face AT-Ats...

GonkH8er
01-18-2004, 07:28 AM
No, but if youve got some silly string, you can spray it round their legs and theyll trip over. :) That's bound to work!

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 07:32 AM
AT-AT's are in the game? Now thats cool. I hope they're proper size. :D

As for a demo, it wont be released any time soon.;)

Hermie
01-18-2004, 09:53 AM
Lukeiam: yes, I totally forgot :D

but as Gonky said, you just use snowspeeders.

Excelsion: ………………………… *slap* shut up! :mad:

The_One
01-18-2004, 12:35 PM
Perhaps each team will have one "elite" unit eg. AT-AT? Also, the opposing team may have access to a unit that could disable it? Luke would be able to take out an AT-AT no problem...

That would balance things out, otherwise an AT-AT could totally ruin another team's chances :p

Hermie
01-18-2004, 12:42 PM
there will be "special units", but not AT-ATs. AT-ATs are vehicles most likely only to be on Hoth. Snowspeeders too.

the special units revealed so far:
Clone Army: Clone Jetpack trooper.
Rebels: Rebel Spy. (duisguise (sp?) as Stormtrooper)
Imperials: Imperial Officer. (reveal Rebel spy, call air-strike)
still waiting for the clone one.

The_One
01-18-2004, 12:58 PM
I meant an Elite unit, not a special unit ;)

Or perhaps what I meant was elite vehicles - a Snow Speeder/AT-AT combination would work very well, and balance things out.

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Herminator_64
there will be "special units", but not AT-ATs. AT-ATs are vehicles most likely only to be on Hoth. Snowspeeders too.

the special units revealed so far:
Clone Army: Clone Jetpack trooper.
Rebels: Rebel Spy. (duisguise (sp?) as Stormtrooper)
Imperials: Imperial Officer. (reveal Rebel spy, call air-strike)
still waiting for the clone one.

You said the clone one. You mean the battle droid one. ;)

I want to see how people actually get in AT-AT's. Its bothered me for a long time. Also, snowspeeders should get that rope and be able to have 2 slots - one for driving/shoot, one for rope to take out the AT-AT's.

Hermie
01-18-2004, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Excelsion
You said the clone one. You mean the battle droid one. ;)

I want to see how people actually get in AT-AT's. Its bothered me for a long time. Also, snowspeeders should get that rope and be able to have 2 slots - one for driving/shoot, one for rope to take out the AT-AT's.

1)yes

2) um……… well…………maybe…… drop down ladder? :D the snowspeeder DOES have 2 slots, it was confirmed in the interview.

One: it wouldnt really be true to the movies if AT-ATs suddently appered on Endor. all vehicles have their own spawn point, so we'll be getting the usual: speeders and AT-STs on Endor, AT-ATs and AT-STs (maybe even AT-PTs?) on Hoth, and so on.

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 01:28 PM
Lets hope then that they release a map editor soon after release, in a style similar to BF1942's.

That way we can do what we like with AT-AT's. Imagine driving an AT-AT over Ewoks. *Evil Grin* :evil1:

Pie™
01-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Herminator_64
One: it wouldnt really be true to the movies if AT-ATs suddently appered on Endor. all vehicles have their own spawn point, so we'll be getting the usual: speeders and AT-STs on Endor, AT-ATs and AT-STs (maybe even AT-PTs?) on Hoth, and so on. Well, i recall seeing AT-ATs at endor, around the imperial spaceport, and doesnt AT-AT stand for All Terrain Armoured Transport or something like that? ;)
Anyways, i can't wait for the game to come out!!!:D

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
Well, i recall seeing AT-ATs at endor, around the imperial spaceport, and doesnt AT-AT stand for All Terrain Armoured Transport or something like that? ;)
Anyways, i can't wait for the game to come out!!!:D

There is AT-AT's on Endor. I think, or at least, there was in SWGB. There were also AT-AT's on Kashyyk, as far as I recall (in SWGB, again). ;)

And yes, AT-AT does stand for All Terrain Armoured Transport, just as AT-ST is All Terrain Scout Transport. I think AT-PT is All Terrain Personnel Transport, or something like that.

Hermie
01-18-2004, 03:48 PM
yes AT-PT is All Terrain- Personal Transport. you can see it in the background in the beginning of ESB. it looks like an crouched down AT-ST.

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Herminator_64
yes AT-PT is All Terrain- Personal Transport. you can see it in the background in the beginning of ESB. it looks like an crouched down AT-ST.

That was it. I used to play SWGB. :rolleyes:

Hey, I just thought of this:

Instead of having a Jedi class, why not have a Jedi army? It could be used on maps like the Geonosis Arena (vs Droids). I can't think of any more right now though.

Hermie
01-18-2004, 04:44 PM
*couch*unbalanced*cough*

remember that there moslty were no more than one or two Jedis in battle, Geonosis being an exeption. but after the clones came, most Jedi stopped fighting.

Pie™
01-18-2004, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Herminator_64
*couch*unbalanced*cough*

remember that there moslty were no more than one or two Jedis in battle, Geonosis being an exeption. but after the clones came, most Jedi stopped fighting. agreed. Also, for the rebels vs empire, remember that Luke was the last Jedi...:rolleyes:
and, who would play a droid when you could be Kit Fisto, or Plo Koon, or Shaak Ti, or Aayla Secura? Not me ;)

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 05:29 PM
Well how about they include one map with jedi and none other. I mean that there could be one jedi battle, just to have some saber combat.

And if you say there's no point in making one whole army for just one map, then look at DICE (BF1942 creators). They've made a whole new army (the Canadians) just for the 1.6 patch.

Mex
01-18-2004, 05:54 PM
Great find Herm! The first and third person cameras seem like a really nice touch, but it'll be quite hard trying to shoot someone in the first person view won't it?

The republic trooper with a jetpack sounds really nice, maybe they could be the scouts and find the enemies base and maybe might be able to have Boba Fett style fights with other people.

Lots of people in vehicles sounds like a nice touch. Just imagine you are five other friends in one vehicle gunning down the enemies and shooting with turrets. Sheer awe.

I can't wait to see what it will be like.

Alegis
01-18-2004, 06:00 PM
as much as I like Jedi Academy and such, i don't want to see any or just some jedi in this game..just old fashioned guns

damn this game looks so awesome, i really can't wait..and they came off with an amazing quick start

matt--
01-18-2004, 06:07 PM
I really hope that this game will have no Jedi aside from the special units, and I hope that those are a very rare occurence.

If they were common, most people would fight over spots and neglect the other classes. They'd be horribly unbalanced. People that did have them would have a massively unfair advantage and that would be recognized by all the other players.

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by matt-windu
I really hope that this game will have no Jedi aside from the special units, and I hope that those are a very rare occurence.

If they were common, most people would fight over spots and neglect the other classes. They'd be horribly unbalanced. People that did have them would have a massively unfair advantage and that would be recognized by all the other players.

I thought about that. This is an idea I came up with before that might just work:

Originally posted by me
I think that perhaps there should be a lightsaber randomly placed on any map (like the jetpack on BF1942:SwoWW2). Then people couldn't start with it and would be limited to 1 or 2 per map.

Forget what I said before. Do you think that would work better?

The_One
01-18-2004, 06:27 PM
I wonder how they will tackle continuity issues involved in the Battle of Endor? I mean, essentially it's the "heroes", about 3 other Rebels and a load of Ewoks versus an entire legion of Imperials. Presumably they'll have to adjust things a bit so that there are a ton of Rebels too.

Either that or we can go around beating each other with sticks as Ewoks :p

Pie™
01-18-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Either that or we can go around beating each other with sticks as Ewoks :p Yay!
They will all bow to the stick!!! :rhett:

Yubb, yubb!

:D

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by MMMPIE!!!
Yay!
They will all bow to the stick!!! :rhett:

Yubb, yubb!

:D

That would be a total laugh-fest. :lol:

But, if there's already an Ewok model, and an Ewok weapon, then I'm sure it wouldn't take too much modding to make an Ewok army. :evil1:

Pie™
01-18-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Excelsion
But, if there's already an Ewok model, and an Ewok weapon, then I'm sure it wouldn't take too much modding to make an Ewok army. :evil1: Yay again! Then we'd all have to start an Ewok clan! :D
But, seriously, we should form some kind of clan when the game is released, but it might be a bit early to think of that :)

Mex
01-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Excelsion
That would be a total laugh-fest. :lol:

But, if there's already an Ewok model, and an Ewok weapon, then I'm sure it wouldn't take too much modding to make an Ewok army. :evil1:

But wouldn't Ewok vs Imperial Soldier be an unfair match? It would only be fair if there was a limit on how many people could be Imperial Soldiers, since one Ewok vs one Stormtrooper would be a bit unfair wouldn't it?

Hermie
01-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Pie, you unloyal slob, we talk about starting a clan with the guys from clas, remember??

besides, being an Ewok sound like fun.

Michael:

imagine you are five of your freinds
:confused:

Pie™
01-18-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by Herminator_64
Pie, you unloyal slob, we talk about starting a clan with the guys from class, remember?? Eh... sorry, forgot :o
Anyways, our class is probably never gonna get a clan running, and even if we do, a clan here is a good idea IMO ;)

Father Torque
01-18-2004, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
A demo would be awesome. I dunno if I can hold in the excitemnt. ^_^

Ya a demo would be pretty awesome, but they wont release it until the game gets more attention and is monitored for errors and bugs. I am hoping to get the game for my birthday, if it comes out in time.

BTW, when does it come out?

Pie™
01-18-2004, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by Father Torque
BTW, when does it come out? Around fall i think...
such...a....long...wait.....:(
*dies*

Hermie
01-18-2004, 07:07 PM
mm……mmblmbllmmm…………mnmmmble…fall…mmmblmbllm………*bur sts into tears*

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
But wouldn't Ewok vs Imperial Soldier be an unfair match? It would only be fair if there was a limit on how many people could be Imperial Soldiers, since one Ewok vs one Stormtrooper would be a bit unfair wouldn't it?

More fun, I guess. Massacring Ewoks (or even better Gungans). :evil1: I like that smilie:evil1:

Perhaps the Ewoks could get some kind of camouflage weapon.

Yeah, the game is coming out around fall, by then I'll almost be 15 :eek:. Such a long wait...

The_One
01-18-2004, 08:20 PM
I hope we'll be able to trample Ewoks underfoot in an AT-ST - hey, just for the sake of continuity!

An Ewok army would, you must admit, provide for an unusual amount of amusment on the 'net ;)

ExcelsioN
01-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by The_One
I hope we'll be able to trample Ewoks underfoot in an AT-ST - hey, just for the sake of continuity!

An Ewok army would, you must admit, provide for an unusual amount of amusment on the 'net ;)

I'm sure we'll get to trample Ewoks. Thats going to be one of the biggest features of the game. :evil1:

The_One
01-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Excelsion
I'm sure we'll get to trample Ewoks. Thats going to be one of the biggest features of the game. :evil1:

Do you guys actually care about anything other than casual Ewok abuse? :rolleyes:

Prime
01-20-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Do you guys actually care about anything other than casual Ewok abuse? :rolleyes: What kind of abuse?

WD_Rage
01-22-2004, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
I wonder how they'll balance these out. There's no way a regular troopers can face AT-Ats...

Hopefully they won't try to balance ground troops vs AT-ATs too much. Seriously, a squad of grunts is no match for an AT-AT. However, I like Desert Combat's approach: land mines and c4.

The_One
01-22-2004, 03:01 PM
Making an AT-AT hard to take down has its advantages - I mean, it would surely encourage the opposite team to employ well crafted tactics, would it not?

Also, bear in mind AT-ATs are very slow and difficult to maneouvre - this gives it a big disadvantage for close combat.