PDA

View Full Version : Kotor Tool - v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Fred Tetra
01-19-2004, 05:21 AM
NOTE: Kotor Tool current version: v1.0.2210.16738 (2006-1-19 12:38)

You can download it at:
Kotor Tool site (http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/)

You can check out the new features that will be in the next release here (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/upcoming.htm)

For those who take the time for README files... :)

kotor_tool readme.txt (http://kotortool.starwarsknights.com/docs/readme.txt)

Some features of Kotor Tool:

*ERF Builder - create your own .mod/.erf/.hak/.sav files

*2DA Editor

*New image viewer built in (with extract)

*Text editor now more like a "real" editor

*GFF internal format viewer

*Editors/viewers for most all GFF files (.utc,.utd,.uti,.utm,.utp,.utt, etc.)

*Dialog editor

*Search for text in game files

*Project Manager

*3D Model extractor (with helper app)

*Module editor

*and much more!

CDRSeadog
01-19-2004, 07:28 PM
My compliments - your program seems to be working flawlessly on my machine. Where I was having a great deal of trouble getting into various chitin files - your program makes the opening and editing of files a breeze.

With this newest tool out - I am quite sure the real expert "Modders" out there are going to have a lot of fun - and soon too :-)

Kitty Kitty
01-19-2004, 07:53 PM
Indeed. I've also played around with it a bit and it seems to work quite well so far.

I can't wait to see how this shapes up as you expand the functionality. With all the collective knowledge that's been starting to peek through here and there, it'd be sooooo nice to have one tool that can do just about all the various things we need to really get in and mess with KotOR.

Heck.. even if some of the functions are just "shell out" buttons that pass correct parameters to the various command line utilities others have released already it'd be a big help.

Meh.. getting ahead of myself. Whole point to this was supposed to be to say thanks for the tool, and good job. :)

-Kitty

*edit*
Forgot to mention... I LOVE the 2da editor. With the spreadsheet style colored cells and division lines, it makes those things a LOT easier to edit (without winding up with the wrong value in half the fields) than using notepad or the like. VERY well done. :)

Lil' Jawa
01-19-2004, 08:12 PM
Very nice program, and it really has some potential too like others have said before me - it could become the swiss knife of kotor modding :)
keep up the good work!

andargor
01-19-2004, 09:20 PM
From what I see from the other posters, looks like a great tool.

But it uses the .NET Framework... *sniff* (which I refuse to install... I'm a whiner, I know ;) )

Is it written in C++? Would you perchance make the sources available so I can hack it into vanilla VC++?

Andargor

Fred Tetra
01-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Actually, it's written in VB.NET. Not my first choice, as I have been programming since before there was a C++ language, but I had a fair amount of reusable code from other recent projects that made it a quick-to-write task.

I haven't yet decided if I want to release the source or not at this point. Maybe at some point.

Also, though you may oppose the behemoth .NET Framework install one either size, general MS fear or just general principle, it does mind its own business quite well, as it lives in its own folder.
I run several servers with it *and& my gaming rig, all with no trouble....

T7nowhere
01-20-2004, 07:47 AM
First I would like to say is that when it comes to modding I am a major noob. I don't have any programing experience so most of what is discussed in this forum is over my head. I found a link for Lil' Jawa 's Darth Revan Reincarnate 1.1 mod on the Bioware forum and was hooked into wanting to mod SW-KotOR myself,but as I said I don't have much of clue about this stuff. The only thing I have ever done is made a few mods for Civ3 and Morrowind and that was just for personal use.

I borrowed NWN off a friend to use the KOTOR BUILDER , but I couldn't figure out how to use it.

This is a sweeet app.very intuative. Even I find this program easy to use.IThink now I might actually be able to mod something for KotOR .

Thanx for this i was begginning to think it would be hopeless for me :) now i just have to figure out what all thoughs file types are I understand the purpouse of the 2dA and I know I can do something fun with them :D

So thank you for posting this it's a really cool program :D :D :D :D

darthface
01-20-2004, 08:38 AM
great program.. I had to update my .net framework but it ran smooth after that :)

Fred Tetra
01-20-2004, 01:10 PM
Thank you all for the kind comments!

I've had the 1.1 version of the framework installed for so long I forgot that I had updated it. I'll add a note mentioning that it requires the framework and which version number to the readme file.

Thanks for the feedback!

Aven'aeris
01-20-2004, 10:14 PM
i could be wrong, but i believe the spell.2da that comes with this mod is already decompiled. just open with notepad :)

eidospsogos
01-20-2004, 10:15 PM
whoops. how did i know it would be something stupid i was doing. :) i'll delete that really ugly post and get it out of the way.

Fred Tetra
01-21-2004, 05:11 AM
Kotor Tool v1.0.1480.42651 (2004-1-21) Released today.

Main changes:

*Faster BIF tree building (~4.4x!)

*More types handled by GFF Editor

*Stopped assuming certain resource types were only found in
certain BIF/RIM files (Doh! What was I thinking... then again, look
at the posting times...)

* Added text view support for txi and vis resources

* Added Hex/Ansi/Unicode viewer

Is that enough new things for one evenings coding? :)

Download at link in 1st post (well, only if you want to...)

Cheers,
Fred :)

P.S. If any of you art-enabled folks think you have a great design for a 32 x 32 pixel icon for Kotor tool, send them my way; I'll pick one to use and give you credit for it.

T7nowhere
01-21-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Fred Tetra
NOTE: Just updated to Kotor Tool v1.0.1480.42651 (2004-1-21)

I wrote this tool so I could experiment with 2DA (v2.b) files and scripts.

I don't know what i did different this time ,but with Kotor Tool v1.0.1480.42651 I can't edit 2DA files.I always get error :"An unhandled exception has occurred in your application."and said it Could not find the C:\Program Files\LucasArts\SWKotORdata\2da.bif

It looks a type O in the path.

Kitty Kitty
01-21-2004, 12:02 PM
It did that to me too. I think it's a simple clerical error.. probably when it reads its .ini file.

Anyway, there's an easy fix. Just open the tool, then click File > Manage Paths.

If you look close, you'll see the problem is, it's parsing SWKotOR and Data together as one folder name without the \ in between...

Sooo.. all I did was add a \ character to the top line (root path), and then I did a cut and paste on the third one (data path) making sure it DOES have the \ in the spot in question (which it did, but eh)..

Then I closed the path manager, closed the kotor_tool, and when I re-opened it, it worked like a dream.

Thanks again Fred. And I'm betting this "fix" workaround will be short lived.. cuz he'll prolly have it fixed in a day or two the way he's been going. ;)

-Kitty

Fred Tetra
01-21-2004, 01:04 PM
I did change the way I stored some of the path info and also forgot to mention that it's best (for most folks) to just toss your settings.xml file away and start fresh.

My favorite way to do the path configuration is to browse for the KotOR root path ("E:\SW_KOTOR"), then click the "V" button which fills in the rest of the important paths itself.

I was also thinking of adding a "detect installation"-type button, so if you really don't feel like browsing for the path (are we lazy, or what!) the tool will guess where your KotOR installation is from the registry info.

Fred

CDRSeadog
01-21-2004, 06:34 PM
Once again, you have my appreciation for your hard work and efforts, Fred Tetra...

I've had some little fun with your original program - I don't know how much work I may attempt in Rim files, however - knowing my luck, I'll crash my whole computer (and that WOULD be a disaster - as I just built this thing last month as a Christmas gift to myself) *chuckles*

At any rate - got the newest - thanks again!!

Anach
01-22-2004, 04:19 AM
no matter how i modify the paths. I still get this error " Could not find file "D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\2da.bif" "

Why is it looking in the root KOTOR dir for the "2da.bif"??

Kitty Kitty
01-22-2004, 04:24 AM
Anach... look at the text it gives you for the error...

System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\2da.bif".
File name: "D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\2da.bif"

It's looking for 2da.bif in the root KotOR folder.. which isn't gonna work. This means that somehow it's not getting your data path correct.

All I did was, added a backslash to the END of the root path and re-edited it and the data path.

So for you, manually make your root path read:
D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\ (note the final backslash)
and your data path then needs to read:
D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\data (no final backslash seems to be required here)

Also note that if you DO add a backslash to the root path, if you then use the V button, you'll get two backslashes between KotOR and whichever item comes next for most of the fields, which you don't want. (in other words it'll look like this in most other boxes: D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\\data) You can edit that manually also though, so it's not a huge deal.

-Kitty

Fred Tetra
01-22-2004, 04:25 AM
no matter how i modify the paths. I still get this error " Could not find file "D:\Games\LucasArts\SWKotOR\2da.bif" "

Because I code until around 1:30 am ;)

There's a new version v1.0.1481.27506 now available for download.

Fixed a few bugs, add ERF support, including tpc viewing (though you'll need to have tpc2tga and an image viewer installed.)

Fred

Kitty Kitty
01-22-2004, 04:35 AM
MMmmmmm.... image viewing and direct conversion... sweet =)

I know this is getting pretty redundant.. but can't help saying nice job Fred. ;)

-Kitty

Fred Tetra
01-22-2004, 04:53 AM
OK, so I've put in most of the things I wanted in this app.

So what do you folks think would be the most handy to have?

Some ideas:

* ERF/BIF/RIM builders

* Integrated image viewing

* Script compiling/decompiling (integrated or external app-based)

* 2DA v2.b<->2DA v2.0 conversion

Let's hear your ideas! (Oh, and I still need a better icon. Anyone?)

Kitty Kitty
01-22-2004, 05:15 AM
All those sound good.. BUT..

As my vote, I'd say priority one would be a script decompiler/compiler since we can't do that yet.

Yes, we have compilers, but that lets us change only what we have source provided for.. meaning any scripts inside the modules are about as good as being hardcoded for the time being.

If someone could come up with a proper decompiler for those, we could gain a lot of access we don't currently have.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

-Kitty

Akira X
01-22-2004, 05:35 AM
well i finally got it to work now I'm just trying to understand the feats and featgaining system.

Lofte
01-22-2004, 10:17 AM
firstly just want to say thanks to Fred for the Effort, well done!

I have a question regarding attributes, i have succesfully modded the feats and powers but cannot find how to do mod the attribute level gains. Anyone got any ideas?

darthface
01-22-2004, 10:58 AM
Great update, but I'm wondering if any of the file format wizards know why the PO_* files in the gui texture pack don't seem to be converting right, I'm positive that's where the character portrait images are.

Stator
01-22-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Lofte
firstly just want to say thanks to Fred for the Effort, well done!

I have a question regarding attributes, i have succesfully modded the feats and powers but cannot find how to do mod the attribute level gains. Anyone got any ideas?

I'm not sure about adjusting the number of attribute points given on level up since I never looked. I do know that you can adjust the starting points in the classes.2da file. In there you will find the preset numbers that the game use when you click the recommend button. These can be adjusted so that a new character starts with all 18's for example. Hope that helps some.

Stator

Fred Tetra
01-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by darthface
Great update, but I'm wondering if any of the file format wizards know why the PO_* files in the gui texture pack don't seem to be converting right, I'm positive that's where the character portrait images are.

The person named Eiz wrote the tpc2tga converter and I know from reading the thread that it was quite difficult to decode the sub-formats that are supported right now. Hopefully the work will continue and we'll be able to convert all of them.

Lil' Jawa
01-22-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Kitty Kitty
All those sound good.. BUT..

As my vote, I'd say priority one would be a script decompiler/compiler since we can't do that yet.

Yes, we have compilers, but that lets us change only what we have source provided for.. meaning any scripts inside the modules are about as good as being hardcoded for the time being.

If someone could come up with a proper decompiler for those, we could gain a lot of access we don't currently have.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

-Kitty

I don't see how one would decompile binary machine code back to asci nss, Bioware themselves had to include sources for their scripts in NWN they didn't(or couldn't) make a decompiler?
But if it is possible I definately think Fred Tetra can do it :)

Otherwise perhaps we could nag Bioware to release the sources for module scripts, maybe make a petition or something if you really must have them.

darthface
01-22-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Lil' Jawa
I don't see how one would decompile binary machine code back to asci nss, Bioware themselves had to include sources for their scripts in NWN they didn't(or couldn't) make a decompiler?
But if it is possible I definately think Fred Tetra can do it :)

Otherwise perhaps we could nag Bioware to release the sources for module scripts, maybe make a petition or something if you really must have them.

I doubt it will ever happen, based on the nazi brutality bioware uses to deal with any mention of mods on their boards.

Fred Tetra
01-22-2004, 02:27 PM
I take it they don't like mods, eh? But how bad can they be about it?

andargor
01-22-2004, 04:20 PM
Bioware loves mods. NWN Toolset anyone?

The problem is LucasArts.

Andargor

Anach
01-22-2004, 04:25 PM
Thanks mate. beauty

firehawk12
01-22-2004, 04:26 PM
Hi, when I run the program, I get the follow error when I try to extract a file:

Could not find a part of the path"E:\SWkotORdata\2da.bif".

For some reason, it seems to be missing a '\' between the 'SWkotOR' and the 'data'.

Am I doing something wrong?

Anach
01-22-2004, 05:04 PM
get the new version released 22nd Firehawk

Only trouble with this release, where has the Editor button gone?

I now have to extract, then go to the menu to view 2da.

Lil' Jawa
01-22-2004, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by andargor
Bioware loves mods. NWN Toolset anyone?

The problem is LucasArts.

Andargor

Then why are we sitting here posting on Lucasforums while every thread that as much as touches the aspect of modification is locked instantaneously on bioware boards? ;)

kyrellic
01-22-2004, 06:17 PM
A) LucasForums isn't a Lucas owned site.
B) BioWare cannot show support for any mods for this game because of licensing issues with Lucas. That is also why this isn't a straight up Aurora engine setup as far as files go. The 2da's were compiled, etc. to make it more difficult to modify.
C) Bioware actually does support mods to games that they are allowed to support them on.

Fred Tetra
01-22-2004, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by Anach

Only trouble with this release, where has the Editor button gone?

I now have to extract, then go to the menu to view 2da.

Double-click on any tree leaf (anything without something below it) and if and editor or viewer is available for it, it will open.

Anach
01-22-2004, 06:48 PM
of course, thanks, how easy, i guess this was in the readme that i didnt read??

I should slap myself, or let you do it.

cheers again.

eidospsogos
01-22-2004, 11:30 PM
you people can blame LA all you want for the modding difficulty. but modding has not been discouraged or shut down on any other LA game until KotOR. i remember downloading mods for LA games as far back as Dark Forces. and ravebn HAS released toolsets for the last two releases in the Jedi Knight series.

so what if bioware released one game with a toolset. that does not make them the mod-friendly community of the decade. they released the toolset with this game because it was one of the games marketed selling points. it was a marketing strategy plain and simple. maybe the reason KotOR didn't get a toolset is because they didn't make enough money with that particular ploy.

as far as i'm concerned, any primarily PC RPG company that throws themself into a contract with microsoft and starts releasing their games primarily for xbox before porting them to PC has lost alot of my respect. the toolset issue and banned modding topics only added to it.

oh, and fred, thanks for the great program. this is one brilliant program. completely intuitive in all aspects.

tk102
01-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by kyrellic
The 2da's were compiled, etc. to make it more difficult to modify.

Going off-topic here --
Actually, I doubt that was the reason the 2DAs were compiled. The V2.b files are much smaller than their V2.0 counterparts by taking into account repeating values. Appearance.2da for example is <1/5 the size. Smaller files usually translate into faster gameplay.

Kitty Kitty
01-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Firehawk,

Trust me on this. I've fixed mine, and about a half dozen other people's with this..

I know it doesn't sound like it should do anything, but it works.

1. Open Kotor_Tool
2. Click File > Manage Paths from the topline menu.
3. Add a \ (backslash) to the END of the FIRST path box (KotOR root path).
4. Left click & drag in the THIRD field (Data path) to select the entire line.
5. Type SHIFT-DELETE to cut this to clipboard, then SHIFT-INSERT to paste it back in. (Trust me)
5a. Do NOT click the "V" button to fill the other boxes, or if you DO, remove ALL double backslashes (\\) you see in any boxes.
6. Close the path manager.
7. Close the kotor_tool completely.
8. Load the kotor_tool up again, and it'll work fine.

;)

-Kitty

T7nowhere
01-24-2004, 10:26 AM
Ok one thing that I that this program could really use is a search function.often I find myself wasteing time looking for refferance to a file in an other. It would be great if I could just type in a keyword and all files that fall into that field would pop up in a window along with where they reside :) if that would be possible.

Damn! I know there was something else I thought would be helpfull,but i can't think right now. Oh, I remember now it would be nice to be able to add new entries at the 2DA's.

Anyway thanks for the work you have put into this program, It has been a great help to me in learning this stuff, and i really like the new features.

:D

eidospsogos
01-25-2004, 05:03 AM
hey fred here's a thought. i have recently run across a rather SERIOUS limitation in the .gff editor. it can NOT copy a value from one .gff to another. i know your program is designed to work with the bioware .gff editor, but what are the chances you would consider adding .gff support just so all of us wanting to create new items won't have to type forever when we start getting into lightsabers? :) i'm talking 20 something entries in the properties list.

if you have the chance to let me know the likelihood of this being feasible, please do so. and if anyone else out there feels this would be useful to them as well feel free to speak up in support.

Fred Tetra
01-27-2004, 05:45 AM
I've been pretty busy fixing a few things and adding some new ones.

Just to whet your appetite, here are the new features:

Double-click to view most .tpc files right in app. (tpc2tga and an image viewer app are not required) Also shows # of mipmaps in file and other file-specific info.

(Double-click+Shift key will still perform tpc2tga conversion and run your selected image viewer app)

File path problem fixed

Text viewer not anchored to window fixed

I'm hoping to add 2DA row deletion, addition and insertion, too.

Fred

*Anyone come up with an icon yet?

SpaceAlex
01-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Let's say i want to gain more than 1 feat per level. i just edit gainfeat.2da and save it. But what next? How do i import the 2da file back to bif file?

Kitty Kitty
01-27-2004, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by SpaceAlex
Let's say i want to gain more than 1 feat per level. i just edit gainfeat.2da and save it. But what next? How do i import the 2da file back to bif file?

You don't need to. Just leave the modified 2da file in your kotor\override folder (either compiled form or text form - both work fine for 2DAs). When you next load KotOR, it uses this data in place of the stuff in the bifs. ;)

-Kitty

Fred Tetra
01-28-2004, 03:41 AM
I believe the two errors have been fixed.

One was caused by me "exporting" 1 less row of data from the grid than actually existed, but only in the 2da native format; the XML exporter was OK, thus easy to find.

The other was caused by a quirk in the M$ grid that I have worked around. That grid is such a pain that M$ is releasing a new version!

The download site now contains the updated code, though the release version remains the same because of the way the version-generating code from M$ works (go figure!)

To paraphrase Mr. Gates on the subject of why viruses make Windows more secure....

"My code is better because you're finding bugs in it."

Jennaida
01-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Not to be a pain in the butt as a new poster, but, um, is there anything special I should consider when I'm editing featgain.2DA and feat.2DA?

I was trying to see, for a reference, if I could give a char all the non-Jedi feats at level 1, tell it 'no featgain', then tell it to give all Jedi feats at level 2/whatever level you became a jedi at. But when it hit feats in the long form chargen, it crashed every time. Are there a bunch of things that aren't used in game, that are supposed to be left unmarked? If so, a list of tnose might be nice.

gameunlimited
01-28-2004, 06:19 PM
jennaida: maybe you can try to do the following

to give free feats, you can edit the column "sol_granted", "sct_granted", "jcn_granted" (in the feat.2da file) to whatever lvl that you want the feat to be given at. also note that if you do change certain feats to be granted at certain level, make sure that you fill the corresponding field next to the left of the "sol_granted" column to "3" (it is the "xxx_list" column, xxx being the class). otherwise, the feat will not be shown on your feat screen.

So if you are planning to be a soldier/guardian, you would change the "sol_granted" column to "1" and "sol_list" to "3" for all the non jedi feats. then for the jedi feats, you will go to "jgd_granted" and fill "1" also and "jgd_list" to "3". (remember, you will start as a lvl 1 guardian regardles of your soldier class level). that should do the trick.

To create "no feat gain" is even easier. open the featgain.2da and simply change all those number to 0.

Jennaida
01-28-2004, 06:33 PM
Trying that now... hope this works...

*comes back*

Hmm, nope. I'd swear I got the 2DA files right, as well. And I put feat 2DA into the Override folder (that's right, isn't it?) but whenever it gets to Feats in custom chargen, it seaches the disk, then says its performed an error and crashes out during chargen. And since Feats is the first thing I've touched, I'm wondering about it. When I hit 'automatic chargen' its giving me level 1 of some of the stuff, but not giving all of it. Is there a separate listing for some restrictions on 'only' certain classes being allowed something, or is that part of what you mentioned in previous post?

gameunlimited
01-28-2004, 07:26 PM
as of for only giving lvl one skills, it is because the rest of the skills have prerequisites. to remove the prerequisites, go to the same file and look under "mincharlevel" and simply change the values to "****" (4 asterisks).

As of for the game crashes, im not sure what causes it. I have created a similar all force/feats mod too but it works slightly different. instead of giving free feats, i increase the feats gained per level and also removes all prerequisites as i described above. maybe you can take a look at it for a reference. Or try using the mod that i created and see if your game crashes again during the chargen. alternatively, you can send your mod to my email at : gameunlimited@hotmail.com. I can check if it is working in my comp.

Jennaida
01-28-2004, 08:52 PM
I'll try putting asterisks in everything first after saving a copy of the current one. (reviously I put in 0's instead of asterisks, thinking that in another table 0 was level 1.)Right now I'm wondering if I've acdidentally missed something with some feat or another. I'll go through them all though again before bothering anyone else with it :) I'm also removing prerequisites for this round, in case it's trying to put them on in an order where it was trying to put one on without a required previous one. Trying again now...

And nope. Argh. *grumble*

I'm wondering if part of it comes because of things like "skill focus" which were evidently intended but didn't get put in. I noticed it showing up in the 'attack' bracket...

eidospsogos
01-28-2004, 10:53 PM
okay. i have run acroos the same issue myself. you must first of all drop off all level prerequisites from all feats. so that any feat can be gained at any level. that caused my first crash.

second, there is a certain amount of feats you can be granted per level. whenever i had more than ten feats granted per level, the game crashed, ten and below is safe i think. but once i found out what the certain number was, and made sure no level ever gave more than that my crashes stopped. pretty sure ten is safe. but NO more.

and third, if you are thinking that feats that never made it into the game could cause problems you are right. anything that hass xxxx before it in the feat name column is not meant to be used. others are meant for opponent AI. they were put into the game for npcs other than party members. such as weapon proficiency grenade, i imagine is used by the sith grenadiers later on in the game. so, using any feat that has 4's all the way across the board is a big no no. though i REALLY wanted to check out gaurd stance.

Jennaida
01-28-2004, 11:20 PM
Hmm, wonder if that was part of my problem. I tried to make it automatically give me the master ones right away at level 1, without any manual upping during levelups later.

eidospsogos
01-29-2004, 12:32 AM
that may or may not cause a problem. if you do that, then what you will need to do is remove any character level requirements. like you must be at level 8 to get this feat. that can be edited in the same file though. then you would also want to remove all feat pre-req's. like you must have this feat before gaining this feat.

however, were i you, i would not do this. some armors have feat requirements in a way that if you only have heavy armor proficiency you might not be able to wear them. the only reason i say this, is because while i was modding exar kun's armor, i noticed it had two feat requirements, one for light armor proficiency and one for medium armor proficiency.

i would recommend only awarding yourself feats you could not gain with your character class. or simply make all feats available, by plaing a 1 in them, and then award yourself say 3-5 feats per level. it is possible to gain all feats in this game, and not cause any problems if you're still awarded feats. say your at level 17 and all your feats are taken, and you are awarded feats. you simply click ok, and the game moves on since it's not possible for you to select a feat. so you have nothing to lose by simply making all the feats you want available and awarding yourself extra feats per level.

Jennaida
01-29-2004, 04:29 AM
*blink* it is? I wasn't sure the code would understand I had all the feats, I guess.

Now how do I set a feat in availability to be available for only specific extra classes, not all of them? Hrm... I essentially want to snare a couple things from the Jedi classes, and get them for my Consular... :)

gameunlimited
01-29-2004, 04:39 AM
i think you have to go to the "xxx_list" column for that. but im not sure if that perhaps will cause the trouble again like last time.

eidospsogos
01-29-2004, 09:42 PM
nope. i have a scout that is awarded the first three levels of the sneak attack power. and then can select from 4-9 in the in-game feat menu. likwise, i have awarded a sentinel all 3 levels of force jump and force focus.

jennaida, i can send you my feats.2da file to look at if you'd like.

and i have tested the above mentioned issue. i went through five levels without being able to select any feats, as i already had them all and never had a problem. the game does manage to realize when there are no more possible feats to be selected. the same is true for force powers.

Fred Tetra
01-31-2004, 03:24 AM
No, v1.0.1490.35666 is the latest - that last post was a copy-and-paste error :)

As long as the version number is higher, than the one you have, it is newer.

I hope you all enjoy the changes and improvements I've made to this latest version.

Special thanks to KittyKitty, Stator, eidospsogos and others for the feature suggestions. Extra thanks to KK for helping with testing.

Fred

P.S. tk102 - you're welcome!

Drakron
01-31-2004, 05:14 AM
Its possible to add new fields to 2da files?

Since I think the only way we can add custom armor/cloathing meshes is new Modoli and Texi fields.

T7nowhere
01-31-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Drakron
Its possible to add new fields to 2da files?

Since I think the only way we can add custom armor/cloathing meshes is new Modoli and Texi fields.

yes you can create new rows just save the 2da as an xml the edit it with notepad.Choose where you want the row to appeare on the 2da and type this <row name>****</row name>
you would replace "row name" with Modoli or Texi save the file the load the xml back into the 2da editor you may also get an error when you load it just hit continue and your new row will be there. :D

Fred Tetra
02-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Ugh! I spend hours developing a grid to edit 2da's and you want to add a new row by editing the xml version? That's only slightly easier than hex editing the 2da file itself :)

There is an easier way. Just right-click on a row, choose "insert row", and a new row will appear between the one you clicked on and the one above it.

However, you did ask about adding new fields, not rows. I have not added the ability to add new fields (columns) because I figured it would be rather unlikely that the game engine would deal with them properly.

P.S. Read the readme.txt :D

Fred Tetra
02-01-2004, 12:31 AM
BTW, if you copy (not move) the patch.erf file to your texturePacks directory, you can look at the tpc images and skills.2da file contained therein.

Also, for those who care, I think the "tpc" extension stands for "Texture, PC", as the Xbox version has the same file names, but the extension is "txb" (Texture, XBox).

Fred

Drakron
02-01-2004, 01:46 AM
Sorry, I figured out with the help they given me.

I dont know about the new fields will work or not since the body meshes in armor/robe/clothing appears to just look for the Model and Tex fields for what mesh they will apply the texture that indicates (if my texture skills did not suck I could release a mod that will make NPCs use their cloth mesh instead of the default robes mesh but a diferent texture being applied when using dark jedi robes, the red robes and blue robes) , I seens that the object mesh/texture information is model and text number (Darth Revan/Star Forge robes look at Modelj and Texj fields) but the object uti BodyVariation entry is =10 so perhaps it allow us to expand the number of Model and Tex fields for new meshes since without it only thing we can do is replace existing meshes id on the Model field.

A way around it would be the Sith armor/Sand people robes trick but the bad news is there is a mesh for each body type (small/medium and large) and a entry for each type in apperance.2da and even if, fortunatly, all the jedi NPCs are using "M" meshes that could not be the case of the player model, the player model only uses the M meshes if he is a scout.

Fred Tetra
02-06-2004, 08:15 PM
Ok, so I'm working on some code for handling GFF-based files, like the Area (.are) and Creature (.utc).

As I'm hoping to present a friendly GUI for interacting with these files, which would you folks like to see editable first?

Drakron
02-06-2004, 08:29 PM
Area.

Perhaps I can fix the "levitating" jedi council with that ...

Fred Tetra
02-06-2004, 08:34 PM
levitating?

(I have used what I have to make "Dead Eye" have a can of beer on his head. Oh how little it can take to amuse me...)

tk102
02-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Fred,
When you get started on GFF file manipulation, you may find it easiest to think of the file primarily composed of two types of recursive objects: Structs and Fields (with the occasional CExoLocString etc thrown in). Maybe that's obvious to you, but it wasn't to me.

Drakron
02-06-2004, 09:55 PM
Yes, if you look at some of the council members in Dantooine you will notice their feets are not connected to the floor .

Fred Tetra
02-06-2004, 10:01 PM
Actually, I already have a class implemented that will read GFF data and built a relational structure plus reference arrays for the structs and lists.

Here's a few links to the diagnostic output from the class when it's building itself from the stunt_eboqrts.git file in STUNT_00.rim , in case anyone's interested:

Text format:
stunt_eboqrts.txt (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/stunt_eboqrts.txt)

RTF format ("syntax colored"):
stunt_eboqrts.rtf (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/stunt_eboqrts.rtf) (You can save this to disk and open it with WordPad or MS Word)

As a side note, the units for x/y/z positions appear to be measured in meters (well, "virtual" meters), as most of the male charaters are about 1.6 to 1.75 units tall.

If you'd like to see the beer (actually plc_beer2) on DeadEyes' head, put this in the override folder and go to the dueling organizer's room in the cantina on Taris.

m02ae.git (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/m02ae.git)

Some might like to know that it appears that attempting to place two character models at the same x/y/z coordinates will cause one to be moved off to the side, apparently outside their collision radii.

Fred Tetra
02-06-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Drakron
Yes, if you look at some of the council members in Dantooine you will notice their feets are not connected to the floor .

Here's Vandar's info; note the "ZPosition" :)

Struct- Type:4 Field count: 6
Field- Type: float Label: XPosition Value: 106.2865
Field- Type: float Label: YPosition Value: 31.36993
Field- Type: float Label: ZPosition Value: 4.445451
Field- Type: float Label: XOrientation Value: -0.5555701
Field- Type: float Label: YOrientation Value: 0.8314697
Field- Type: CResRef Label: TemplateResRef Value: dan13_vandar
End of struct

Drakron
02-06-2004, 10:11 PM
Vandar is fine, its the other two idiots (not the twi' lek) that are wrong.

Fred Tetra
02-06-2004, 10:19 PM
The "Z" numbers for all of them are different, go figure :)

Shimaon
02-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Hey Fred, I just gotta say, since I just realized I have never posted in this thread, I LOVE your tool, its by far the most useful thing modders have access to (but I'm sure you knew that already :)).

Also, I'm wondering, do you have any plans in the future to make an item maker type thing with an easy to use GUI?
I'm no programmer, but from what I've seen you do here, I don't think it would be that hard (by looking at the item files and such) to make something that lets you choose a name, description, and appearance, then add properties.

Thanks Again for an Awesome modding tool,
Shimaon

Fred Tetra
02-08-2004, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the compliments; I'm glad you're happy with KT.

As the only reason I'm writing this tool (besides the fact that I like programming a great deal - I do it ~13-14 hours a day) is so that all of you folks can get even more out of KotOR, I'm happy to hear of the features you'd like to have.

That said, I haven't had the time to poke around to see what it takes to create an item manually, but if someone can give me the basic logic and steps behind it and what files and/or data has to be modified to do so, I probably can grant your request.

Anyone up to that task?

Now, with regard to area editing, I only have 1/2 of the code for the GFF files done; the part that parses them into a managable internal format that I can use. I have added this, for what use it is, into the latest version, which I should be releasing soon (maybe the evening of 2/8). It will let you Control-double-click a GFF -type file on the tree and you'll get to see the parsed file in syntax-colored text form in the new version of the text editor. A shift-double-click gets you the straight uncolored version.

The new text editor has most of the features you'd find in an external editor, like a "find" function, multiple levels of undo/redo, font selection, etc. Maybe most folks won't find it useful, but I needed the code for something else anyway, so you get the benefit. :)

Also, the image viewer, text editor and hex viewer all remember where you last had them and their sizes as well.

Watch for the posting announcement! :)

Fred Tetra
02-08-2004, 05:19 AM
OK, new version posted :)

Kitty Kitty
02-08-2004, 05:35 AM
Hehe.. I actually had a dream the other night as I was waking up... I can distinctly remember dreaming that I programmed a tool that would do a bunch of cool stuff.. which I'm going to try to explain as best I could, though remember.. this all comes from the fragments of a dream so bear with me.. ;)

Anyways.. it would first obviously have to have path information, similar to kotor_tool. This is so that, when it does its first step, which would be to load up all the data, it could (if the option was selected) use files it found in \override instead whenever there was a possible conflict.

Now.. from here, the tool would basically have a graphic interface by which you'd be able to say.. select an area.. It would load that up, and (after having checked against all pertinent data), "know" what's going on there... Then you'd have lists of triggers, placeables, creatures, items, etc... which could be edited, or you could add things in simply because the editor already has all the templates and information.. so all you'd have to do would be to tell it what you wanted to place and where.

I got the feeling it was supposed to do a lot of other fun stuff too, but again.. it's only fragments.

The thing that was really annoying is that I very distinctly remember waking up thinking.. "wow.. that'd be nice.. and it wouldn't be THAT hard to do... " but at the same time, as I fully woke up, I immediately realized that my archaic and piecemail programming knowledge is nowhere even remotely close to "up for the task" so I sighed, ate breakfast.. and edited some stuff with kotor_tool instead. ;)

Now... so as to preserve SOME amount of topic integrity... You already know I love kotor_tool. As for new features, I guess native support for those GFF files (they have a more proper name, but it escapes me right now), which would probably lead to a feature *similar* to the easy item creation/editing I was mentioning above (since you're already getting into the area files and the like, which would realistically be the other roadblock for such an undertaking).

Assuming we ever manage to figure out the blasted model format, maybe a simple viewer which would allow loading up an MDL and acompanying textures in a 3d view would be nice. Especially if it gave us the ability to change the selected texture, and optionally save an exported mdl with those changes.

Of course.. I'm dreaming again, and really.. that'd be sorta silly the more I think about it.. since there are already lots of 3d modeling programs to do that job IF we can ever bust the format of the files and get a couple import/export plugins for the stupid things.

hehe.. anyways.. Keep up the great job Fred. I've yet to be unhappy with any release of the program, and I'm always happy to help test (and break) it whenever you need a hand. ;)

I'll also look into that item deal you mentioned about the files and steps needed etc... maybe if we collaborate a bit, I can help out and we could get it to work.. which would be a much better situation than the mess that would happen if I were to even consider trying to program something on my own at this point. ;D

-Kitty

Shimaon
02-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Heh, I was actually gonna offer to help with the item thing, but I am know Kitty Kitty would be FAR more up to the task then me.

Also, does anyone have any idea how to get the 2DA Editor over onto my screen? Its kinda wierd, because whenever I open it, it comes up to the right of my screen and I can only use it if I maxamize it via taskbar.

Also, one last thing, Fred, do you think you could pull off the ability to copy and paste rows in your 2DA Editor? It would be a lifesaver for me...

Thanks,
Shimaon

Fred Tetra
02-09-2004, 04:04 AM
The direction I'd like to see the tool go is in the one Kitty mentioned. It probably can get close; I just have to figure out the relationships between all of the pieces in the game. Then BioWare will hire me as a tools guy and that'll be the end of that! :D

As for copying and pasting rows, do you mostly need to paste one row's values over another existing one's or do you want to make a copy of it into a new row. I could code both, but picking one would get you the feature sooner :)

Also, if anyone is interested in being put on my pre-release list so they can get the latest tool emailed to them or at least email notification of releases, just drop me a line at the address in the readme.txt file. No address will be sold, etc., etc. - Some folks just want to know right when it comes out.

And, as always, thanks for the kind comments and praise!

Ellderon
02-09-2004, 09:09 AM
Hmm...can you make the tool add new columns allso?

Fred Tetra
02-09-2004, 01:41 PM
It may be possible to add columns, but would Kotor know what to do with them? Can you give me an example of where this would be used?

Drakron
02-09-2004, 04:06 PM
I belive so.

As I pointed out before, robes and armor look for Model and Tex for what meshes to use and what texture to apply to that mesh.

Ellderon
02-09-2004, 07:50 PM
Not to mention the featgain and powergain, which is essential for creating new classes...

With columns we might go a big step further...

Shimaon
02-09-2004, 10:14 PM
As for copying and pasting rows, do you mostly need to paste one row's values over another existing one's or do you want to make a copy of it into a new row. I could code both, but picking one would get you the feature sooner :)
Er, both?
I honestly don't know. Both are equally useful to me, heh.

Shimaon

Fred Tetra
02-10-2004, 01:02 PM
A couple of things:

1. Please don't post the entire stack trace to the forums; it wastes space and doesn't mean much of anything to most people reading it. In fact, only the Exception Text section is useful. If you have errors like this, send me that text via email or PM. You may consider deleting your post to keep the thread clean.

2. I reposted the latest version. The one you downloaded did have that problem, which has been fixed.

3. As a bonus, taking a cue from something gameunlimited said in another post, you can now open/view ERF files located in your modules directory. Another minor bonus is that you can now have more than one hex editor open at a time. Not everyone might find it handy, but, hey, if you can, why not?

Fred

gameunlimited
02-10-2004, 01:33 PM
first of all, thanks for the great tool!

I have a question regarding this new version though. you said "you can now open/view ERF files located in your modules directory". I tried to do that but it can't seem to work for me. What I mean by it doesnt work is that the file does not expand to list the files inside it like. Am I doing something wrong?

Fred Tetra
02-10-2004, 11:20 PM
I thought I had it working correctly, but it was only detecting ERF files with a .erf extension in the Modules directory. Module files which have an extension of .mod and are ERFs inside are now properly detected. I tested it by copying the lastbattle.mod file into the Modules directory and it does show up and its contents can be viewed correctly. Sorry for the hassle.

Fred

gameunlimited
02-11-2004, 02:58 AM
oh, i think i did it wrong last time. I was opening it not under the ERFs but under the category RIMs --> Modules. It works perfectly if i open it under the new module category that you put under the ERF :). thanks again!

now i have a suggestion for the next version of kotor tool, if you are making it that is. if possible, i would love to see a feature that allows you to combine files into a mod, rim, and/or erf file. :D

*feels guilty for asking too much from fred*

gameunlimited
02-11-2004, 03:44 AM
hmm... this might be just the case in my comp, or only with this specific file, but i get the "arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow" message (i think this is a the windows xp error message). this happens only when i try to open the Survival Battle mod file (if you want to try it, it is in my website). kotor tools work perfectly for the other mod files such as the lastbattle mod file. i thought you might want to know about this.

Fred Tetra
02-11-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by gameunlimited
hmm... this might be just the case in my comp, or only with this specific file, but i get the "arithmetic operation resulted in an overflow" message (i think this is a the windows xp error message). this happens only when i try to open the Survival Battle mod file (if you want to try it, it is in my website). kotor tools work perfectly for the other mod files such as the lastbattle mod file. i thought you might want to know about this.

The problem is your file. There is a resource that has it's resource type id set to an illegal value (-1) when it should be 3003 (0x0bbb), as it is a PTH (Path info) resource. I have a fixed version of the file, if you need it, though it would seem that KotOR must not be using that ID, if the mod works. Depends on if the intended paths are working.

gameunlimited
02-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Yup, you are right. It turned out that the ERF editor that I used to compile the mod file does not recognize the pth file, thus tagging it as unknown instead. Had to edit the ERF editor resources type itself, now it is working great. The file is readable using your tool now :)

Fred Tetra
02-12-2004, 01:27 PM
New version of Kotor Tool released - v1.0.1502.18035 (2004-2-12 9:53 am EST)

See first post for details...

gameunlimited
02-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Very nice !!!!

Thanks for adding the ERF Builder support!! Really appreciated. :D

Fred Tetra
02-12-2004, 02:51 PM
Ask and ye shall receive...

Assuming I can and want to do it :)

Fred Tetra
02-13-2004, 08:24 PM
FYI - There's a bug in the internal GFF parser that prevents some data from begin displayed. This bug has been fixed for the next release.

Also, for those who are programming-minded, I have further developed the class that handles GFFs so that I can now access the elements of the file in an object oriented fashion. For example, to get at a file's 2nd Room's Environmental Audio setting, I can do things like:

audio = gff.GetNodeValue("Rooms(2).EnvAudio")

and

gff.SetNodeValue("Rooms(2).EnvAudio", 77)

This internal access abstraction will make it far easier to write GUI based editors for GFFs than worrying about byte offsets and pointers.

Currently I am working on the portion of the code that builds a GFF from the internal data representation of the (potentially modified) file. Once this is complete, GUI editors are next.

Fred

Sunslayer
02-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Do you think it would be much trouble to add in a model and animation viewer? That would be really useful for viewing textures without launching the game again.... I guess you'd have to figure out the different between a NWN MDL file and a KOTOR MDL file, which would probably make the rest easy.

gameunlimited
02-14-2004, 07:02 PM
I have some features suggestions for future versions:

1. Search function for the 2da editor

2. Conversation editor. It is the .dlg file. I understand that we can open the file using the GFF editor, but what I mean is an editor that will display the conversation sort of like tree with branches, just like how NWN does it. Also, if possible, it should look up the dialog text itself from the dialog.tlk file.

Sorry to bother you again by asking for more feature, just ignore it if you do not have the time, if it is impossible to do, or even simply do not want. Just a suggestion, thanks :)

Fred Tetra
02-15-2004, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by chay80
The newest version (released on 2/12) won't work at all now.

When I click on the kotor_tool exe, the program will not start even though I see the program on the task bar. Clicking on the taskbar results in nothing.

The only thing changed in my system from earlier when the older version was working is I reinstalled a DVD player prog. When I d/l'd the new version it overwrote the previous one, also.

Version 1.0.1490.35 does work currently but 1.0.1502.18035 does not.

Thanks for all the time and effort you put into this toolset.

1. move your settings.xml file someplace else (if you care about it) other than the Kotor Tool directory

2. run Kotor Tool ; does it tell you that it has attempted to figure out your paths for you?

If you (or anyone else) needs a prior version, I keep and archive of them. Just send an email to the address in the readme.txt file.

Fred Tetra
02-15-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Sunslayer
Do you think it would be much trouble to add in a model and animation viewer? That would be really useful for viewing textures without launching the game again.... I guess you'd have to figure out the different between a NWN MDL file and a KOTOR MDL file, which would probably make the rest easy.

Yes. Much trouble. Both you and Bneezy need to peruse the other threads so you'll believe me and others when we say "it isn't easy" :) I understand that not everyone is a programmer or 3D modeler, but realize that things such as 3D models are quite complex in their format. As such, it isn't as easy as opening a save game file in a hex editor and looking for a byte pattern that looks has the same values as the amount of credits you have or your Strength, Intelligence, Wisdom, etc. and adjusting them until you're sure what they do. When it comes to models that include skeletal structures and up to 160 different action animations, you're lucky if changing a few bytes here and there doesn't simply cause the program to not run. At best, the model will just look totally funky in them game.

Please don't think I'm ragging on you; I just hope to dispel notions like "well, it has .mdl on the end, so it must be the same format" that I've seen others have (erroneously). As soon as someone (or some team) figures out the format of these files, we can start down the road to develop tools to manipulate them.

Fred

Fred Tetra
02-15-2004, 01:34 AM
I have some features suggestions for future versions:

1. Search function for the 2da editor

2. Conversation editor. It is the .dlg file. I understand that we can open the file using the GFF editor, but what I mean is an editor that will display the conversation sort of like tree with branches, just like how NWN does it. Also, if possible, it should look up the dialog text itself from the dialog.tlk file.

Sorry to bother you again by asking for more feature, just ignore it if you do not have the time, if it is impossible to do, or even simply do not want. Just a suggestion, thanks :)

It's never a bother to hear what folks would like to have in Kotor Tool.

Re:
#1 - I'll put it on the to-do list. Do you want it to highlight the cells as each succesive find is done, like in a text editor, or do you have something else in mind?

#2 - Since it is a GFF file and I am working on the GFF (re)writer portion of the GFF class in Kotor Tool, I'm not that far away from being able to write editors for various "flavors" of GFF-based files. Area (.ARE) files have the most votes so far, however.

Weiser_Cain
02-15-2004, 06:36 AM
Oh' if you're taking request, I'd like a item creation function that creates items from existing items without overwriting the original.
And a way to give and equip the item on npc's and in shops.

gameunlimited
02-15-2004, 07:03 AM

Re:
#1 - I'll put it on the to-do list. Do you want it to highlight the cells as each succesive find is done, like in a text editor, or do you have something else in mind?

Just like text editor is good.

Re:

#2 - Since it is a GFF file and I am working on the GFF (re)writer portion of the GFF class in Kotor Tool, I'm not that far away from being able to write editors for various "flavors" of GFF-based files. Area (.ARE) files have the most votes so far, however.

Glad to hear that :) I might be able to help with the format of those various "flavors" if you happen to need it.

Edit: NVM about helping with the format. I just looked up the bioware site and it has full documentation of it, heh :)

Shimaon
02-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Hey Fred, sorry to bother ya, but do you think you could give us a list of features you're working on and features you plan to work on?

Shimaon

Sunslayer
02-15-2004, 04:35 PM
How about a find option in the main window? Just like you get in a text editor. And if it's not in the 2DA editor, how about there, too?

T7nowhere
02-16-2004, 03:57 AM
Hey Fred, I have a suggestion for a future version of Kotor tool.
I find when Im useing Kotor tool sometimes It can take a while to scan through all the different files and file type's. So I often will load NWN Explorer to find out where an elusive file is. I would prefer to use your program than to have them both open ,also some of KotOR's files will crash NWN explorer.

Suggestion: Is for there to be subtrees that orginize the Games file types into there respective Catagorys. Useing a similar method as NWN explorer. This feature would greatly enhance the usabilty of your awesome Tool.

Thanx. :)

Fred Tetra
02-16-2004, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
Hey Fred, I have a suggestion for a future version of Kotor tool.
I find when Im useing Kotor tool sometimes It can take a while to scan through all the different files and file type's. So I often will load NWN Explorer to find out where an elusive file is. I would prefer to use your program than to have them both open ,also some of KotOR's files will crash NWN explorer.

Suggestion: Is for there to be subtrees that orginize the Games file types into there respective Catagorys. Useing a similar method as NWN explorer. This feature would greatly enhance the usabilty of your awesome Tool.

Thanx. :)

I had considered doing it that way, and still may, but MS's TreeView control isn't the fastest to manage in code. If folks don't mind waiting for the items to be sorted out then have a tree built accordingly, it could probably be add to the list of future features.

Fred Tetra
02-16-2004, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by Sunslayer
How about a find option in the main window? Just like you get in a text editor. And if it's not in the 2DA editor, how about there, too?

While a 'find' feature for the main tree might seem like an easy task, it requires that all tree nodes be realized to work. What you may not know is that when you "open" a "+" node, many times I am building the leaves underneath just before you see them. In this way, you don't have to wait for the whole tree to be built (and it does take a while, especially for the RIMs section, since you have to open, scan, and build for each one. Perhaps I could have it do the full build only if you choose to find.... hmmm.....

As for the 2DA editor, I've got a find feature for that in mind, too.

Fred Tetra
02-16-2004, 04:30 AM
Features planned...

- Complete GFF Writer function to provide infrastructure for GFF editing.

- Area editor (.are)

- Save editor (maybe)

- 2DA find function

- Resource categorization on Tree View

- Full tree find function

- BIF builder

- RIM builder

- Auto update notification ("A new version is available...")

Fred's request list:

- A Teletubby skin and 2DA fileset so I can use it with Master Vandar (sp?) as the main PC

- Postcards/stamps/coins from foreign countries

- More chocolate :)

Shimaon
02-16-2004, 08:13 AM
With the GFF Editor will you have some sort of item creation wizard?

Fred Tetra
02-16-2004, 12:31 PM
GFF's are dealt with at three levels, the first two of which the user does not see. The first is the reading and writing of the data in the file to and from an internal representation, and the second is dealing with that data in a logical fashion that doesn't care about how it exists on disk. This second level knows how to add a structure to a list, how to find the value of a variable that exists in a list, etc., but doesn't know (or care) how that data was organized on the hard drive)

The third level is the one the user sees. Since there are many game data structures that use GFF to hold their information, each would have its own editor. These editors don't have to be concerned with reading and writing of disk files, so coding them is easier. They just have to be written to manage and display the data that is pertinent to the specific content of the file type in question, be it an Area or Creature file.

Fred Tetra
02-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Just an update on the GFF effort -

I discovered that there are at least two field types that are not found in BioWare's GFF specifications. These two new types are used (for example, but not exclusively) to represent the Position and Orientation of items in the CameraList list.

Also, these types are not supported by the GffEditor program. If you try to open and save a file containing these types, they will be ignored and the file will be smaller when you're done. Perhaps quite obvious is the fact that you can't edit attributes of that use those types in their representation. An example of one of these files would be m02ae.git.

tk102
02-16-2004, 08:47 PM
I noticed Field Type 17 during my investigations into savegame editing. It seemed like it always pointed to 12 bytes of NULL in the Field Data table. In the savegame editor I'm working on, I made the assumption this would always be the case whenever the editor writes a savegame. I haven't found a case yet where the edited/unedited savegame miscompares due to Field type 17 data.

What other field type have you seen?

Fred Tetra
02-17-2004, 02:12 AM
I found that in my files, that type 17 is used to hold a tuple of floats (single precision). Type 16 is 16 bytes long, an appears to be used to hold 4 floats (single precision).

tk102
02-17-2004, 02:52 AM
And so it shall be defined!

Type 16 - Float16[4]
Type 17 - Float16[3]

Fred Tetra
02-17-2004, 01:04 PM
Well, after spending a few hours analyzing the results of a test that I did.

In the test, KT reads in almost 7400 GFF files from the RIMs, turns them into internal data structures, then re-writes them for size comparison (usually a good indicator that your code isn't working if the sizes differ).

About 0.3% (27 of 7391 files) differed in size. 15 of those are .utm (store) files. They appear to have been written by a different version of the internal toolset, as the field indice array has duplicate entries! The duplicates are ignored, as nothing references them, and my code doesn't read them because of this, so my output files are more compact, holding only meaningful data.

The other files are a couple of .dlg's and the rest are .git's. I'm going to check these out next and see if they're OK. The hard part is that I can't just do a binary compare between the files since I use a different algorithm for writing the data out than BioWare did. This means that all of the data is there, just in a diferent order.

tk102
02-17-2004, 02:38 PM
Fred, those are exactly the issues I was facing too including the size checking, the duplicity of entries, and the order of rebuild. For example, in the partytable.res file, the CExoLocStrings are stored first in the field table, before the primary structure's first field.

And hex editing would've driven me bonkers if not for the latest version of Hex Workshop ythat allows the overlaying of structures onto the hex data. It sounds like you've just about conquered all the issues since you're able to describe them... that was the hardest part for me.

Fred Tetra
02-17-2004, 03:43 PM
I just looked into Hex Workshop; it would have been nice to have had something like that instead of Hex Editor 2.0 from HHD software (although it is freeware).

Since my last post, I discovered more of the same type of issue that I found in the UTMs in the GITs. I'll spare you the details here, but email if you want them for you own edification.

What this means to everyone else who couldn't care less about the nitty gritty code details is that I can now start on the GUI for some editors. I had considered a savegame editor (and I may still do one) but you've got that covered well enough for now. I was going to add ability to adjust the global variables in the saves in addition to the features you already have done.

Ellderon
02-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Good to know you're making solid progress!:D

I agree that a savegame editor is not even near a top priority..Better take care of the area editing..that will give the comunity a kick!

Fred Tetra
02-18-2004, 03:36 AM
I've decided to work on the Creature (.utc) editor first. After determining that doing the Area editor would require some really good design decisions, I figured that I'd rather make my mistakes on something simpler. :) Not that dealing with GFFs of any sort is easy (just ask tk102!), but there is less to deal with (from what I can tell) in Creature files. Area definitions would benefit from a graphically-based object positioner and lots of other non-text-entry type GUI elements that I don't feel like dealing with until I feel comfortable with the GFF class implementation and interface methods.

People interested in testing possibly buggy versions of KT can email me saying so. You'll get to see where it is going before the next real release, which might be some time off, given the increased difficulty in building the next level of functionality into KT.

Fred Tetra
02-22-2004, 04:51 AM
Here's some screenshots from the new UTC (Creature) editor. Right now it can open any .utc from the tree view, allow you to adjust many of the parameters (not all, yet) and save the adjusted content to the override folder. You can very easily change the settings over and over, saving from the same editor instance and seeing what the results are in the game without quitting either.

Basic (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/1.gif)

Statistics (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/2.gif)

Class (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/3.gif)

Advanced (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/4.gif)

Skills (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/5.gif)

Scripts (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/6.gif)

Feats (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/7.gif)

Weiser_Cain
02-24-2004, 10:30 PM
Howabout a dialog editor, this is stalling my project!

Shimaon
02-25-2004, 02:08 AM
I concur, a dialog editor would rule, and from your standpoint, I think it would take a short time to create.

T7nowhere
02-25-2004, 02:13 AM
I'll add my vote for a dialog editor. Just as long as it's not too much trouble. Actually you probly already have it on your list of things to, so i'll just say Im looking forward to the next update you keep makeing this tool better.

Oh ya, And I would love to see the file trees enhanced to orginize the file types into categories. :) I wouldn't mind waiting for the tree to build, but I do have a fast PC.

Fred Tetra
02-25-2004, 04:05 AM
Well, the various tabs in the UTC editor are now functional, but I have now moved on to the inventory editor portion of it. This is a bit challenging, but I'm making pretty good progress on it. I actually have a treeview from which you can select an item and drag it to the slot where you want it to go. I'm hoping to have the item properties set such that you can't put an item in the wrong slot (no implants in the hand slot, for example).

Fred Tetra
02-25-2004, 05:43 AM
Some of you may find this amusing....

If you don't already know, each .UTI (inventory item) in templates.bif has a baseitem # field that refers to a row in baseitems.2da. This allows similar items to be grouped together.

What I found is that the four Bith (the musicians in the Cantina) instruments (Guitar, Accordian, Trombone and Clarinet) are all considered Blaster Pistols!

Better tip them well!

Maybe this mystery can become a spin-off game....

"The Mystery of the Bith" <groan!>

Shimaon
02-25-2004, 11:39 AM
Heh, never saw that coming, when will those Biths learn?

T7nowhere
02-25-2004, 01:14 PM
lol, The instruments and guns must have the same holding poses or it is just one of the devs form of a joke.
In my roamings though KotOR's files I saw that those instuments are quest items.

Which leads me to wonder how many other game elements are unused. So far I have learned there was plans for a second LS ending where Carth turns a female DS Reven back to the light on the starforge. Then stay there as it burns in the star. someone noticed there was an unused level in the vulker base and there is pretty much atleast 1 unused file per module some contain several, unfinnished models and I think some unused textures.

sorry went a little off topic. looking forward to the next release of Kotor tool :)

Shimaon
02-26-2004, 10:43 PM
Speaking of devs form of a joke... look through a texture pack and find nun.tpc...

You see where this is going...

Jackel
02-26-2004, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Shimaon
Speaking of devs form of a joke... look through a texture pack and find nun.tpc...

You see where this is going...

:p thats just funy , but i can see bastilla in a Nun custome running around proclaiming her goodness

Fred Tetra
02-26-2004, 11:53 PM
There's also a model of the classic "teapot" too!

Fred Tetra
02-28-2004, 05:07 PM
Another amusing thing I discovered while debugging my latest code was that Deadeye Duncan has a gender of "both"!

Hmmm....

tk102
02-28-2004, 11:26 PM
Version: KotOR Tool v1.0.1502.18035
Symptom: Arithmetic Overflow upon the following treeview navigation:

RIMs
- Rims
- - global.rim
- - - appearance.2da (double-click)

Fred Tetra
02-29-2004, 02:57 AM
Originally posted by tk102
Version: KotOR Tool v1.0.1502.18035
Symptom: Arithmetic Overflow upon the following treeview navigation:

RIMs
- Rims
- - global.rim
- - - appearance.2da (double-click)

This occurs because this particular 2da file does not follow the same file format as every other one I have ever come across.

Internally, the file format uses tab characters (ASCII 9) to separate field and row names, and each list is terminated with a null (ASCII 0).

This file uses nulls in place of tabs so when I look for the end of the list, I find it too soon and the wrong number of rows is calculated, hence the error.

I checked the file against the version in the BIFs section and they are otherwise identical.

Thanks for letting me know.

tk102
02-29-2004, 04:12 AM
Ha ha, sloppy sloppy Bioware! Put that in the same category as the duplicitous field indices.

Do you think Bioware ever reads any of these forums?

T7nowhere
02-29-2004, 04:32 AM
Ha ha, sloppy sloppy Bioware! Put that in the same category as the duplicitous field indices. Do you think Bioware ever reads any of these forums?

I hope someone from Bioware does. This is the first game I have really ever dug into and Im a little surprized by how much junk and unused content their is. It almost makes me wonder if that is the only reason they won't support Modding Becuase of the sloppyness. It could be a contributing factor.

juv3nal
02-29-2004, 05:29 AM
could be a chicken and the egg thing: "we're not going to be supporting modding, so it's ok to be sloppy"

Naver Drolmai
02-29-2004, 06:25 AM
I would like to use the Kotor Tool but I am getting the following error every time I try to expand the tree :

The currency separator information specified in the NumberFormatInfo is ambiguous for parsing

I assume that the win98 installation I am using has a currency separator different from the default, but since I am in a netcafe with some options locked I cannot do anything for that.

Is there anything that can be done? i.e. allow the separator used be determind in the xml file?

kotor tool v 1.0.1502.18035

Fred Tetra
02-29-2004, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Naver Drolmai
I would like to use the Kotor Tool but I am getting the following error every time I try to expand the tree :

The currency separator information specified in the NumberFormatInfo is ambiguous for parsing

I assume that the win98 installation I am using has a currency separator different from the default, but since I am in a netcafe with some options locked I cannot do anything for that.

Is there anything that can be done? i.e. allow the separator used be determind in the xml file?

kotor tool v 1.0.1502.18035

I'll bet you're not using a us-english version of windows....

Microsoft's .NET environment, (which KT is coded in), tries to do a lot of globalization things for you (the programmer, that is) but sometimes it gets in the way. I'll bet this is one of those times.
If you send an email to the address in the readne.txt with the Exception text, I'll see what I can do.

Fred Tetra
03-02-2004, 03:42 AM
New version released - v1.0.1521.38639 (2004-3-1)

Highlights:

* View GFF file(s) as Syntax-colored Text (File | View GFF Files...)

* Open and Edit UTC (Creature) files (ONLY!) including inventory/force powers/etc.
Other GFF-based files open in Text Viewer. (File | Open GFF Files...)

* Both of the above allow you to select multiple files in the Open File dialog.

* Treeview now has leaf nodes organized by type (most resources) or initial (textures in TexturePacks)

* You can now turn off building of the "Models" tree under BIFs to speed up overall building. (Tools | Options...)

You can download this new version from the links on the first post.

Enjoy!

Fred

T7nowhere
03-02-2004, 04:11 AM
I just wanna add a small note for the inventory editor in the utc editor(npc's) If you add a custom Item to the inventorylist It must be typed in lower case letters or it won't work in-game.

Thats all :) oh ya and the new Treeview organizer is Awesome :D

I can't wait to see what you add next Fred.

EDIT:now that the files are organized, I found a file called partymember.btc and when I open it with the gff editor I looked the fistname[CExoLocString] and it read as "Badger" and under the description[CExoLocString] IT says "The common Badger is a small but fierce mammal. Its strong forelimbs are armed with long claws, used for both digging and self-defense."

When I think of how out of place this seems I just had to laugh. :D :D :clap2:

Fred Tetra
03-02-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
I just wanna add a small note for the inventory editor in the utc editor(npc's) If you add a custom Item to the inventorylist It must be typed in lower case letters or it won't work in-game.

Actually, you can't enter anything but lowercase letters in the item slots custom editor, but you can in the grid. I'll fix that in the next release.

Now that the GFF class (which all of the ut* files use) is done, other editors should be easier to do.

I didn't mention it in the readme.txt (not that anyone reads it :) ), but if you double click on an equipped item slot in the inventory editor, you can set it to a custom item's ResRef.

T7nowhere
03-02-2004, 06:42 AM
Actually, you can't enter anything but lowercase letters in the item slots custom editor, but you can in the grid. I'll fix that in the next release.

OOPS :eek: that is what i meant to say. I thought I implyed that the way it is done is by dopping an exsisting item in the itemlist then deleteing the slot contents and entering your own Item.
My bad.

vinniemc
03-02-2004, 04:23 PM
This tool will become the nwn tooset for kotor.

Now I feel like a real heel for asking ( due to you working so hard at this fine program) but any news on the update to modify .git files?
Only thing thats prevents me from creating new worlds ( with new content )

I feal bad even asking you....

Fred Tetra
03-02-2004, 05:39 PM
Thank you; I hope it helps your efforts.

To quote something I said before:

"After determining that doing the Area editor would require some really good design decisions, I figured that I'd rather make my mistakes on something simpler. Not that dealing with GFFs of any sort is easy (just ask tk102!), but there is less to deal with (from what I can tell) in Creature files. Area definitions would benefit from a graphically-based object positioner and lots of other non-text-entry type GUI elements that I don't feel like dealing with until I feel comfortable with the GFF class implementation and interface methods."

Well, I did the UTC editor, but I am still revising the GFF class to make the whole thing more object-oriented. (This means less redudant code in each editor, like that for setting a text box from a GFF field value, for the non-programmers otu there.)

I could write an editor for GIT and ARE files, but it'd be all text entry, which doesn't work well for placing items in a 3D environment. Thus I have decided to hold off on that for now.

Fred Tetra
03-06-2004, 02:59 AM
Here's some screenshot links from the upcoming Item (UTI) editor, shown editing a lightsaber from the module sta_m45ac_s.rim:

General tab (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/UTI_editor_1.gif)

Properties tab (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/UTI_editor_2.gif)

Description tab (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/UTI_editor_3.gif)

When you double-click an existing row in the Property table, you get an editor:

Sample 1 (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/Property_editor_1.gif)

Sample 2 (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/Property_editor_2.gif)

You can also add new properties by double-clicking the "*" row header:

Sample 3 (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/Property_editor_3.gif)

Testing is just about complete - thanks to T7nowhere for his testing so far!

If you're interested in helping, email at the address in the readme.txt file.

Jackel
03-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Fred your tool keeps getting better and better with every release :D

this item editor will make for some fun new items ~rubs hands together~ i already have ideas forming in my head ...

i can already see some unique items that only one character can use , yes , that should be easy to do

gameunlimited
03-06-2004, 10:21 AM
I second that.

Thanks for all your work man! :D

Fred Tetra
03-06-2004, 02:55 PM
I finally looked at some of the light sabers in the game and discovered that they use an extra field of data to indicate which upgrades give which bonuses. Once I have this new discovery incorporated into the editor, I'll be releasing it.

Shimaon
03-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Fred, the editor looks awesome, I can't wait for it since it oughta make custom lightsabers much easier. Also, in terms of file structure, the lightsaber upgrades work the same as any other items upgrades, they just have alot more fields, at least thats what I've gotten from it.

BTW, if you ever need anyone else to help test I'm always glad to help.

Shimaon

T7nowhere
03-06-2004, 05:22 PM
:) I knew about that. I guess I just took it forgranted sinse I knew it was there. You mean the upgradetype which referances the upgrade.2da and upgrade types. That is just one more thing that makes upgrading weapons a little more complex. :)

Weiser_Cain
03-08-2004, 08:15 AM
Is this right?
http://home.comcast.net/~Weiser_Cain/Images/what_1.jpg Heavy balster underoos?

Jackel
03-08-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Weiser_Cain
Is this right?
http://home.comcast.net/~Weiser_Cain/Images/what_1.jpg Heavy balster underoos?

brings new meaning to the term

"is that a pistol in your pocket or are you just happy to see me ?"

Fred Tetra
03-08-2004, 04:09 PM
It's a type of reactive armor, you see.... :)

Actually, there is an item template "w_bstrcrbn.uti" that does have its baseitem set to basic clothing, hence it shows up under that category in the inventory tree.

Fred Tetra
03-08-2004, 07:13 PM
Here's a screenshot showing some of my work with the .git files.
It's the Upper City Cantina on Taris with GIT data overlayed.

The image is generated by taking the map image and quadrupling the size and using it as a background. My code then reads the .git file data and draws a 3x3 dot for each point. The labels were added in an image editor.

Show in the image are the locations of creatures, placeable items, waypoints, sounds, doors, map notes and trigger geometries.

The hardest part so far is getting the game coordinates to map to the image. Basically, you have to scale them by ~11.08 and add an offset so they show up in the right place. On this image, they're close, but not right on.

GIT data overlayed on map (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/m02ae_map.jpg)

I have to experiment with other map/GIT combinations to make sure that the code always works.

T7nowhere
03-09-2004, 07:17 PM
WHOA! Sweet. I have been thinking of how this specific thing could be done and I also thought the best way would be to use the game maps(atleast until there is a way to render an area outside of the game) But sinse I don't know how to program I didn't even consider doing it myself.

Is it possible to have x,y,z coords displayed when the map is moused over. The main thing stopping me from making any area mods is the amout of coords I would have to get from inside the game. The biggest things that are needed are being able to place waypoints, trigger areas, obejects, and NPC's. Being able to draw trigger geometry and way points is very important.

Do you know if the trigger geometry areas are used for creature encouters or is that a sepparate thing similar to Triggers?

This is really cool Fred. Is the veiwer capable of loading any git right now or just the upper Taris Cantina. I would love to get my hands on it if I could load up any area .git. :D

Fred Tetra
03-09-2004, 10:19 PM
The way it is currently implemented, I have to export a map with KT, resize it in an external paint program and save it, then I have to align and scale the image to the data from the .git file. The last step takes quite a bit of time, as you have to know which things are where on the original map, and make sure they show up in approximately the right place. Also, many maps have different scales in the .git; Taris Cantina is has a scale of "24" while Dantooine (m13aa) has one of "50". I can open any .GIT and see where things are, but that's the extent of it today.

Basically, the aforementioned steps would have to be done for each map, which will be rather tedious and time consuming.

Since the maps are 2D and there isn't anyway of getting the elevation (Z) from the models today, I couldn't show the Z value for the map, only for the item.

I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

dynamicnet
03-09-2004, 11:17 PM
Greetings Fred:

Awesome tool, and great work.

Will you be releasing the changes for editing light sabers?

Thank you.

Fred Tetra
03-10-2004, 12:41 AM
I haven't heard anything bad back from the testers, so I'll be releasing a new version soon.

T7nowhere
03-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Since the maps are 2D and there isn't anyway of getting the elevation (Z) from the models today, I couldn't show the Z value for the map, only for the item.

I'll keep you all posted as things progress.

So is the data laidout on a grid or is it a matter of over laying the output data over the map. I could help you out with resizing the maps it is tedious ,but sounds easy enough to do.

I had a thought, would it be possible to calculate the space in the area models. Im thinking it might be difficult as the models still remain uncracked. *does that make sense*

What I would want to do is to know the coords for every meter of walkable space in the areas. it would make placeing things much easyer.

Fred Tetra
03-11-2004, 04:28 AM
What I do is calculate the pixel/meter ratio and place the dots accordingly.

Fred Tetra
03-11-2004, 04:32 AM
New version released - v1.0.1530.39101 (2004-4-11)

Highlights:

* Open and Edit UTI (Item) files

* Open and Edit the Global Variables Table for saved games

You can download this new version from the links on the first post.

Enjoy!

Fred

T7nowhere
03-11-2004, 05:36 AM
Hmmm, I don't know maybe I'm doing something wrong. Is there a way to access new items created and placed in the override folder with the Character(utc) editor(say with a browse feature at the bottom of the inventory editor list) and equipt it on a character?

you can add a custom item to the equipe list by double clicking the equip icons. and if you want to add a custom item to the inventory just drag and drop any item into the inventory list and rename it to your custom items ResRef(usually the same as the items Tag and file name)

silver_thorne
03-11-2004, 02:11 PM
I cant get the Kotor Tool to work. I am using a new install of win xp. I get critical errors and then it just closes..

Fred Tetra
03-11-2004, 04:33 PM
Please tell us you took the time to go through the readme.txt file..... :)

Kitty Kitty
03-11-2004, 04:42 PM
*cough*

Are you talking about the 'docs' Fred? Everyone knows those are just what you set down your coffee cup on... right? ;D

-Kitty

silver_thorne
03-11-2004, 09:30 PM
(ha.. ha.. not going to flame back..)

Yes I did go over the docs. I did not see anything that helped. I read all of it and got no where..

Kitty Kitty
03-11-2004, 09:57 PM
Just in case that was tossed my way in reference to my comment about coffee...

I didn't in any way mean that as a flame or attack. It was just a joke, and for those of us who've been into computers (especially programming) for a long time, it's fairly well known.

It was actually aimed more at Fred than anyone else, as something tells me he's heard that rather old joke somewhere in the past given all his programming experience and the like.

Again, sorry if it was misread. I certainly didn't mean for anyone to take it as a flame or insult.

-Kitty

Jackel
03-11-2004, 10:40 PM
seeing i cant get the forums to work proberly today ...

ill just cut and paste the problem here , gah

"I cant get the Kotor Tool to work. I am using a new install of win xp. I get critical errors and then it just closes.."

first Q : have you downloaded and installed the .NET files from microsoft ?

if not , go get them ,a link is in the sticky above from Kitty with the list of downloads

if you have it installed then have you also gone andput the other programes in tot he same folder , ie the gff editor , erf editor and the tpc2tga programs that you would need to edit files

if no go to the same sticky above and go get them

Fred Tetra
03-12-2004, 02:05 PM
if you have it installed then have you also gone andput the other programes in tot he same folder , ie the gff editor , erf editor and the tpc2tga programs that you would need to edit files

if no go to the same sticky above and go get them

I was wondering how folks were using an .erf editor and which one they were using. On the offhand chance that someone thinks Kotor Tool requires one to perform it's .erf extractions / viewing / building, it doesn't.

Also, now that you can save files as TGA from the image viewer window, most folks probably won't need tpc2tga either, unless they're exporting right from the tree view.

Fred Tetra
03-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Here's a link to an image showing the module editor as it stands today:

Module Editor Screenshot (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/m02aa_map.jpg)

I can now show when I'm inside a trigger and on an item when mousing over them. I can also show the location of the cameras use for stunts (in game rendered cinematics). The facing of objects is also show by the white lines on them.

The data at the bottom of the screen was shown when I moused over the man in the lower right of the map.

silver_thorne
03-12-2004, 08:07 PM
Grumble.. grumble.. I am not totally stupid. I did everything the read-me said. Nothing.. I quit.. gave up and went to bed.. got up the next day and it worked.. I dont know what happened.. I was ready to kill something..

tk102
03-12-2004, 08:16 PM
Fred, regarding ERF extractors, I've been using Bioware's interchangeably with yours.
http://nwn.bioware.com/developers/erf_download.html

Fred Tetra
03-14-2004, 07:10 PM
Here's a link to a screen recording showing the module editor in action as it stands today:

Module Editor In Action (479 KB) (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/Module_Editor_Demo.exe)

It's not much to look at, but one can actually move the items around and they're updated in the GFF data at the same time. After saving the data back to the .git file, you can see your changes in the game.

T7nowhere
03-15-2004, 05:18 AM
Can you only move exsisting things in the git or can you add stuff too. It will be cool when the editor gets to the point where we can add creatures, placables, trigger areas and way points.

Keep it comming Fred that is some great work, without KT modding would be almost impossible for many people. Without KT I probly would have given up long ago :)

Commas
03-15-2004, 05:46 AM
Here's a link to a screen recording showing the module editor in action as it stands today:

Module Editor In Action (479 KB) (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/Module_Editor_Demo.exe)

It's not much to look at, but one can actually move the items around and they're updated in the GFF data at the same time. After saving the data back to the .git file, you can see your changes in the game.

i downloaded this and when i tried to open it up all i got was a windo that said "OK" "CANCEL" if i click OK that same little window opens up two more times and then it tells me "an error occured while unzipping, one or more files were not succesfully unzipped. the error code is 110" i dont really know what it means, or really what program that is, but man, i am crazy looking forward to the module editor, especially if it lets us add new creatures and items, cause that is gonna make my life about a billion times easier with this manaan sans evirosuit mod which confounds me at every turn. any idea how soon this new feature will be available? no rush, just curious

Juriel
03-15-2004, 08:59 AM
This is all oh-so awesome work. Cannot wait for the map editing tools to get to a more finished state...though I want a dialog editing front-end more than that. ;) Good work - cannot wait to see all the awesome goodness that you bring with the program.

Fred Tetra
03-19-2004, 01:08 PM
Over the last few nights I added a few things to the module editor.

You now have a treeview on the left that shows the categorized items in the module (Creatures, Doors, etc.) Right clicking on an item in the tree or on the map brings up a property editor appropriate for the type of the item you clicked on. You can now edit the bearing (rotational orientation) of items, so those of you interested in appying Feng Shui to your maps to improve them will be happy. :D

Right now, I am trying to set it up so that you can adjust the points that define regions, such as those used by Triggers and Encounters. It's a pain, though not as bad as getting the Bearing to work for items; they use *3* different methods to represent the Bearing and lots of not-so-fun trigonometry is involved.

I had thought of a curious and possible work-around for module editing to allow the work to be done in 3D, but it's rather involved. I thought of a way to use the editor for Unreal to manipulate a representation of the map and objects in a level. There are only a few problems: 1) you have to own unreal (though the $10 bargain bin version is good enough); 2) someone would have to make up the maps and items in 3D.

It would probably take less time for someone to crank out the maps than to figure out the .MDL format.

Basically, I'd convert a .git file to mesh with the Unreal map, you'd edit it, then I'd extract the .git-specific info back out. An interesting idea, but I don't know how far I'll take it....

Weiser_Cain
03-20-2004, 02:22 AM
Don't know if this has been addressed but it seems that every 2da file i write to the override folder crashes the kotor tool when I try to reopen it. The files still work(canderous is still a women) but I can't do any more tweeking or a new mod without destroying the earlyer work...

Fred Tetra
03-20-2004, 02:54 AM
1) Tell me where in the treeview you got the original .2da file from

2) send me two copies of the file; one before you edited it and one afterward that you cannot open to the email address in the readme.txt

Tianhou_Zhong
03-21-2004, 01:02 AM
Were can you open the Module Editor? :confused: I just can't find it!

Jackel
03-21-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Tianhou_Zhong
Were can you open the Module Editor? :confused: I just can't find it!

the module editor has not been released yet

Tianhou_Zhong
03-21-2004, 01:16 AM
Ohhh! Thanks!

Fred Tetra
03-21-2004, 07:02 PM
While testing the Module Editor, I took this snapshot showing all of your friends visiting the Taris Apartments:

Visiting Day (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/placement_test_1.jpg)

The setup of this "scene" took less than a minute using the Module Editor; I just drag the desired item (a "creature" in this case) to a place on the map.

I also tried dropping a Mark IV droid in, but it started an all-out battle. All of the NPCs started fighting the droid (and beat it!). Quite something to see. I plan to try out a 10-on-10 battle with some of the Sith, or maybe see what it would be like if everyone where there to help with Malak ;)

Fred Tetra
03-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Here's a link to the latest video that shows the Module Editor in action:

Module Editor Demo video (~3 minutes long, EXE format, 5.7 MB) (http://home.comcast.net/~armada/Module_Editor_Demo.exe)

Alfrauk
03-21-2004, 07:34 PM
When are you going to release it?

tk102
03-21-2004, 07:37 PM
I see that Carth's evil twin brother, Darth showed up too.
<imagination mode>
Carth and Darth start a dialog. Darth's faction changes to 1. Suddnely everyone attacks him.

Fred, that module editor is going to be fun toy. :r2d

Shimaon
03-22-2004, 12:53 AM
WOW Fred! I am completely amazed by what you got in the area editor!

Got some questions though...

How does the test button work?

and more importantly, can you add in Custom creatures too? If so, how?

Thanks,
Shimaon

Fred Tetra
03-22-2004, 03:31 AM
1) When its done. (Good enough for Id Software, good enough for me. It may not work for my employer, but when it comes to KT, *I* am the boss of me <grin>)

2) Yes, it was his brother! (how did you know?) But his name is really Darth Elmo.

3a) The test button is a generic button that I use to activate code that is being evaluated. Say I come up with a function I think might be cool to have, but don't want to write all of the GUI code for it. I set it up so that when I click that button, it runs. If the code works OK...you get the picture :)

3b) I am developing the logic for the handling of custom everything. Meaning, you would have a custom section for each of the nine categories of things (not including cameras). I am debating whether to simply use items found in the override folder, or to go the step further (actually *much* further) and allow you to specify a "source" location for custom things. When you would save the module back out, the customs and instances (those things that you dragged off of the palette and edited) part of a new .rim file-pair. For those who don't know what that is, each module consists of a "definition" portion (the .are,.ifo, and .git files) and a "resources" portion (everything else). The files are named in the format mxxyy.rim (definition) and mxxyy_s.rim (resources). You will see if you look at a given module file-pair in KT that there are a lot of files contained within the two files. Therein lies the design choice I have to make: simpler, where you can edit only the .git file (which defines most of the important stuff) and release sooner, or go more complex (and complete) and release much later.

Weiser_Cain
03-22-2004, 04:10 AM
Ok, I barely understood that, and I probably won't even be able to use this feature but I say complete is always the better option.

Jackel
03-22-2004, 08:07 AM
2) Yes, it was his brother! (how did you know?) But his name is really Darth Elmo.

Darth Elmo huh ..
http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v102/ShadowFox75/caption134b.jpg

:p

and i say release the module edityor when you feel its ready , if oyu think editing just the git file is all you want to be able to do release it when that bit is ready to do

if you want the entire resouces and git file do both bits

~shrugs~

im still trying to make armour , lightsaber etc , so area editing would be way down my list of things i want to play with yet

ps that photo was taken from a starwars.com caption comp and that caption was one of the better ones , i didnt make it myself i just added it on to the photo

gameunlimited
03-22-2004, 08:45 AM
Very cool, Fred! Keep up the good work

Just wondering, what language and program do you use to create Kotor Tools? I have never gone into windows programming before. Do you have to create the windows, button, tabs, textboxes, etc from scratch or is there some kind of windows standards that you can use to create those interfaces rather easily?

Fred Tetra
03-22-2004, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by Jackel
Darth Elmo huh ..
http://img34.photobucket.com/albums/v102/ShadowFox75/caption134b.jpg

:p

That's a great picture!

Fred Tetra
03-22-2004, 02:09 PM
Very cool, Fred! Keep up the good work

Just wondering, what language and program do you use to create Kotor Tools? I have never gone into windows programming before. Do you have to create the windows, button, tabs, textboxes, etc from scratch or is there some kind of windows standards that you can use to create those interfaces rather easily?

Kotor Tool is coded largely in VB.NET (Microsoft's .NET version of Visual Basic.) and some C++. While some folks may choose to use C++ entirely, (and I have been a professional programmer using C++ for many years), VB.NET allows for very rapid application developement. Sure, maybe you won't see Doom IV written in it, but if you need an application now, as in your employer wants a proof of concept app in a few weeks, it is a great choice.

[Aside to asipiring programmers...
For those who are used to C++ and aren't willing to learn VB, give C# a try. The best part about both VB and C# is that you get an entire framework of classes (code already written to do things for you). For example, in the "old" VB, you had to worry about how to handle the resizing of a window; how draw each button, checkbox and label and their positions. Now you just tell one of these controls that it is anchored to certain sides of the form. For example, look at the tree view on the main screen of KT; notice that the tree resizes with the form? That used to take many lines of code that had to be replicated for each form; now you just click a property box and poof! it works.

If you think a career in programming might be for you:
1. If you're still in school, get at least algebra under your belt
2. Try your hand at writing a simple program; I recommend something that you want to do, you'll have more drive to see it done.
3. Try the VB or VB.NET languages; they're easy to learn and can help you establish the foundations for good programming style without having to worry about having to free memory when you're done with it or case-sensitivity of the code like C and C++. VB.NET does a lot of hand-holding that really helps speed things along. As a bonus, if you learn VB.NET, C# is easy enough to move to and *both* can be used side-by-side in the same program.

End programming recruitment soapbox :) ]

Jackel
03-22-2004, 10:36 PM
That's a great picture!

pic and quote "stolen" from the star wars website

was reading up a caption comp on there for that pic and liked a few so for a friend i chucked the quotes on to the pic and chucked it up on line

shes abig star wars fan , she even threatens me if i say episode 1 sucked :p

last program i coded was a sound scale program for windows , you know "ding , ding ding ding" getting higher pitched then lower ? i stuffed up though and instead of less then one second for the length of sound i made it 3 seconds .. and there were 20 notes to it .. ouch

this is why i let others do the programming now and just DL their programs

Tianhou_Zhong
03-23-2004, 11:21 PM
I think you should change your frist page. I mean version number and stuff. :rolleyes:

Fred Tetra
03-24-2004, 03:32 AM
But I don't have a page where I sell on credit...

\Frist\ (fr[i^]st), v. t. [OE. fristen, firsten, to lend, give respite, postpone, AS. firstan to give respite to; akin to first time, G. frist, Icel. frest delay.] To sell upon credit, as goods

:rolleyes:

shosey
03-24-2004, 03:40 AM
Ok fred, I have a BS in Computer Science - I've been out of college for almost two years with no prospective employers - how do I get a job :)

Fred Tetra
03-24-2004, 05:09 AM
Move to India?

Weiser_Cain
03-24-2004, 07:25 AM
Move to India? Hey, I knew the anwser! I'm begining to hate when I'm right...

lord_blodgett
03-24-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by shosey
Ok fred, I have a BS in Computer Science - I've been out of college for almost two years with no prospective employers - how do I get a job :)

You could always do what I did, jump careers. I now work as a network engineer. Haven't written a computer program in almost 5 years. Sad, huh?

Prime
03-24-2004, 02:17 PM
It is indeed a tough time in the software business. I'm very thankful I have held onto my job so far through all the craziness...

shosey
03-24-2004, 10:59 PM
I shouldn't say that my future looks hopeless, I am getting a second interview with the FBI next month (wish me luck) :)

darthviper107
03-25-2004, 12:39 AM
You know how the Texture .tpc files have parts on top of each other? Well, how can you use KOTOR Tools to separate them?

Fred Tetra
03-25-2004, 01:49 AM
Could you be more specific? How about the name of the texture in question, to start...

Weiser_Cain
03-25-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by darthviper107
You know how the Texture .tpc files have parts on top of each other? Well, how can you use KOTOR Tools to separate them? Are you talking about the alpha channel?

Jackel
03-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by shosey
I shouldn't say that my future looks hopeless, I am getting a second interview with the FBI next month (wish me luck) :)

i swear that girl was 18 :eek:

i mean "good luck with the interview"

shosey
03-25-2004, 03:28 AM
hehe, thanks :)

wrongo
03-26-2004, 11:30 AM
Do you planning some tlk or dialog edit tool?
Because we want to translate to everthing from the dialog.tlk to Hungarian language. Unfortunately we didn't find any good editor to our work.

Prime
03-26-2004, 01:55 PM
There would be a lot of text to translate...

Shimaon
03-28-2004, 01:15 AM
Hey Fred, got a suggestion that occurred to me a while ago:
How about a small wizard for the 2DA editor, that if you're editing appearance.2da, you can type in a head number and a tag, and it will automatically create three rows of appearances for a PC. If you can do this I'd be glad to send you some example files of what a finished product should look like in case you don't know (doubtful, heh).

Shimaon

Fred Tetra
03-28-2004, 07:46 PM
Sure, send them along. Right now, I am concentrating on the Module Editor, but if it something that could be done quickly, I might squeeze it in.

A few things recently added to KT:
The image viewer can now create a .TXI file from the image info text when you save an image file to disk

More descriptions added for some resources that I've figured out.

The module editor can now create and edit Triggers, which can be used to activate a script when a player enters it, or to place a trap, such as plasma mine. You can also reshape and move a Trigger once it has been created.

Darth333
03-31-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by wrongo
Do you planning some tlk or dialog edit tool?

I second that. Not that I have plans to translate the entire Kotor dialogue files but simply because there is no good dialogue editor yet, especially when we want to add new lines to existing files.
Is it part of your plans Fred?

Anyways, even if its not, KT is already a great tool. Thanks for all your work.

svösh
03-31-2004, 08:23 PM
I just wanted to say thanks for the excellent tool you have created to help enhance this already great game. I modified Jedi outcast a bit but this is all new to me. Your tool has made it both simple and enjoyable and is quite easy to use.

Take Bow Fred you deserve it !!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grnbounc:

Shimaon
04-04-2004, 06:06 PM
Hey Fred,
I thought I'd just poke my head in and see how things are coming. I never got an email back from you, you got that 2DA file I sent you, right? If so, have you tried a hand at making the wizard?
Also, I'm astounded with what you have in it so far, so I wanna ask, what other features are you going to add to the Area Editor before you release it?

Thanks for a great editing tool,
Shimaon

darthviper107
04-04-2004, 08:37 PM
About the textures, I open the texture for Darth Revan with KT and save it as a tga. But there are texture parts that are on top of each other, is there a way to separate them?

tk102
04-13-2004, 11:18 PM
Fred,

In the next update, how about a new icon. It just hurts me that you have such a great utility with the current hard-to-see icon. Not that this is much better but:
http://img6.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img6&image=98.gif

pascalneder009
04-14-2004, 07:45 AM
When is this going to be released (the module editor)

You can make an whole battle with it like Mandalorians vs Jedi

Fred Tetra
04-15-2004, 03:34 AM
When I am back from "vacation" and.....

wait for it.....

"When it is finished." :D

I've been very busy with non-development stuff and will likely continue to be for a little while. However, I do intend on completing it.

T7nowhere
04-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Hey Fred, I have a request. Could you make KT scan override, when the files start getting into the 400 to 500 range it can get a little disorganized. So if you could add that to the next version when you get back to it.

I know it seems like we are always asking you to add something new and not giving anything back to ya, So if there is something I could do for just ask. Im sure there are other modders around here that would attempt any mod requests you have.

Oh and the second thing is this thread is getting little big. so when I get some time I'll trim it down abit for you. :)

Fred Tetra
05-06-2004, 03:35 PM
The Kotor Tool download site is back up.

New URL:
Kotor Tool (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/kotor_tool.zip)

Read Me file:
readme.txt (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt)

Prime
05-06-2004, 04:37 PM
Thanks Fred!

Fred Tetra
05-28-2004, 12:36 PM
The Kotor Tool download site is back up.

New URL:
Kotor Tool (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/kotor_tool.zip)

Read Me file:
readme.txt (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt)

There's actually a web page now! (FWIW)
Kotor Tool site (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/index.html)

T7nowhere
05-28-2004, 10:43 PM
cool, I'll add it to tools and mods.

Weiser_Cain
05-29-2004, 01:42 AM
Hmmm, this version actually works for me again, I hadn't tried any of the versions between when I crashed whenever I tried to open a 2da file that I'd extracted and now. I guess I'll start modding KOTOR seriously again...

T7nowhere
05-29-2004, 02:05 AM
Hmmm, this version actually works for me again, I hadn't tried any of the versions between when I crashed whenever I tried to open a 2da file that I'd extracted and now. I guess I'll start modding KOTOR seriously again...

Hey :) it will be great to see more of your work WC :)

Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 09:06 AM
New version released - v1.0.1619.28842 (2004-6-7)

Highlights:

* Minor Bug fixes

* Module Editor - demo mode

You can download this new version here (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net).

If you'd like to try out the Module Editor demo, after unarchiving the new version of Kotor Tool, you'll find a .map and .git file in the directory; move these to your Override directory.

Some Module Editor features:

* Click on an item in the left treeview to see where that item is on the map

* Most items can be repositioned by clicking on them and dragging

* Trigger zones can be reshaped by left clicking on a vertex of the zone

* Trigger zones can be moved by shift-left clicking on a vertex of the zone

* Many items from the right treeview can be placed on the map by dragging them onto the map image

* Triggers can be created by dragging them onto the map, then left clicking at each desired vertex. To finish, either left click on the first vertex or right click anywhere else to auto-complete the trigger

* Editing and Property viewing can be done for many items by right clicking on them either on the map or in the left treeview

Enjoy!

Fred

Darth333
06-09-2004, 09:37 AM
That's great news for the modding community Fred ! Thanks for all your great work! :)

T7nowhere
06-09-2004, 09:48 AM
It's always great when you bring out a new version of KT Fred. :D

Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 10:00 AM
I wish I had more time to work on it!

It has been very busy around here for the last few months, as I have moved to a new city - last night I was installing a new faucet in the kitchen until 11:30 pm (happy happy joy joy!) - so mundane tasks are eating up precious coding time.

However, I hope all of you will try out the new Module Editor to see where I'm going with KT. I am also working on a model ex/import function for it. Cchargin has given me permission to rewrite his tools from perl to VB.NET. I may or may not succeed, but I'll give it a shot! At the very least, I can call his tool from KT, just like I do for the script decompiler.

Fizz
06-09-2004, 10:18 AM
The new tool is pretty good,though whats the Naive Error? :p i can't save?

EDIT:i just tried it out,well the NPC generics i dragged and placed in the map did not appear,also the map seems to be littered with..stuff..like a computer panel,an engine of sorts and the sonic repellant thingies found on Kashyyk,but the stuff i dragged in did not appear.

Prime
06-09-2004, 10:31 AM
Looking forward to trying it out Fred! :D

Lorden Darkblade
06-09-2004, 11:15 AM
At the end of the extracting I get a error.
Let me post here the image.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8826/error2.jpg

What is this?
I have the .NET installed.

Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Fizz
The new tool is pretty good,though whats the Naive Error? :p i can't save?

EDIT:i just tried it out,well the NPC generics i dragged and placed in the map did not appear,also the map seems to be littered with..stuff..like a computer panel,an engine of sorts and the sonic repellant thingies found on Kashyyk,but the stuff i dragged in did not appear.

You Naive User, you! Trying to save! (heh heh)

Do you mean that you attempted to add things to the map, but they didn't appear there in the editor, or that you actually tried to go to the map in KotOR?

There are are bunch of "out of place" items on the map provided; I was just performing a test ;) If you go to the apartment (hideout) you'll find all sorts of stuff lying around. There used to be a Firaxa swimming around, too!

You can replace my .git file with one you extract using KT. I just included one because there's always someone who won't read instructions, you know?

Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by ReLoaD2K
At the end of the extracting I get a error.
Let me post here the image.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/8826/error2.jpg

What is this?
I have the .NET installed.

I'ts the WinAce self-extractor that's generating that error, from what I can see. Can't help you out directly; perhaps I'll post a compressed-only version on the site. Check back later.

Fizz
06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Oh...,i did'nt bother with the reading part apparently hehehehe :p However,thanks for the help Fred Tetra :D

EDIT:btw where can i find the .map files?Also i tried adding things but they don't seem to appear when i go to the actual map is there something wrong?considering i loaded a game and not started a new one.

Fred Tetra
06-09-2004, 05:02 PM
You can only edit the in-memory version of the map. If you could save, you'd be able to see your changes in the game.

The Module Editor demo is just that...a demo. The intention is for people to be able to see what the user interface is like and to see that such a thing really does exist as opposed to promiseware(tm) :)

Fizz
06-09-2004, 05:34 PM
Ah ok now i understand,well so far good job on that i must say :D Can't wait for your next release!

Darth333
06-09-2004, 08:17 PM
hey Fred, as I mentionned this morning ( or whatever time it was for you) you did a great job. Without KT many of us wouldn't be modding Kotor. Just a small comment: don't you think such a great tool needs a new image like a new icon per example? A good friend of mine has some icons ready if you want :)

Darth Khasei
06-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Fred I bow to your GREAT programing skills and you KOTOR tool, it is a godsend :angel:

lord_blodgett
06-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Just when I ~*FINALLY*~ got back to playing Morrowind (bought, played it for a week before getting distracted by oh so may other games, inlcuding KotoR), Fred shows up with this.

MUST RESIST TEMPTATION TO RE - INSTALL KOTOR IMMEDIATELY ...

Who am I kidding? It's still on my hard drive. Awesome work, and I can't wait for the next release.

Poggle
06-10-2004, 09:20 AM
Cant wait to try it out fred great work :thumbsup:

Ellderon
06-10-2004, 09:05 PM
I haven't been around for awhile, but now that I see what a great tool you've done (still doing!), I'm very much tempted to start modding KOTOR again....

Yes....:D

Weiser_Cain
06-11-2004, 01:04 AM
Say how about adding a search feature? I've been looking for all the juhani content(wavs mostly). And I thought this would be a nice feature.

illuzion69
06-11-2004, 06:52 AM
all hail the godfather of kotor modding :worship:

Fred Tetra
06-11-2004, 06:25 PM
New version of Kotor Tool: v1.0.1622.22807 (2004-6-10)

This version adds the ability to extract and convert a .mdl file from the BIFs portion of the treeview, along with the required TGA textures for the model.

You will need CChargin's Extract0-5 utility installed in the same directory as Kotor Tool to use this feature. The extracted files will be placed in (Kotor Tool Dir)\working\(model name).

You can get the Extract utility here (http://cchargin.home.comcast.net/kotor/index.html)

On a sadder note :( , I'm having problems with my PC's hard drive; if anyone would like to show their appreciation for my development efforts in Kotor Tool, I could really use a few $$ donation to replace it before it totally wonks out on me. Those interested may contact me at the email address in the readme.txt file (http://kotortool.home.comcast.net/readme.txt) or via PM. Thanks!

illuzion69
06-12-2004, 05:10 AM
I don't see the dl for the new version on your site. there is the one from 6/7/04 and 4/11/04. i just want to double check to make sure i didn't miss it somewhere.

Fred Tetra
06-12-2004, 09:16 AM
The topmost link on the "Download" section of the page always points to the latest version, even when I forget to update the text :)

Doom_Dealer
06-12-2004, 10:09 AM
im having some problems with the module editor, i cant seem to use it,

i get an error message when i click the button :(

and i cant see any1 else who has posted with a similar problem or something in the readme.

am i missing something here?

illuzion69
06-12-2004, 05:23 PM
Thanks Fred. I can't wait to get home and try it out. Your the man!!!:monkey4:

Lorden Darkblade
06-16-2004, 02:50 PM
I still get the same error when extracting the Tool.
Any possible way to me fix it?