PDA

View Full Version : life on mars?

Ray Jones
01-24-2004, 09:27 AM
mars express the european mars probe reached its orbit around mars and took spectacular pictures of mars using a special developed stereo camera. pictures which prove that there is water existing in the mars atmosphere and in the ground.

http://www.esa.int/export/esaCP/index.html

so what do you think? will there be any form of life or traces of earlier existing life found on mars?

Joshi
01-24-2004, 05:11 PM
I'm slightly more concerned about life on earth than anything else. The government is spending our tax money to pay for failed mars attempts when universety students are having to shell out thousands of pounds a year in order to study. Frankly, if we do find life on mars, I hope they've got a lot of money hanging around in an unlocked safe, otherwise it's kinda pointless.

Alien426
01-24-2004, 07:49 PM
Stundents are just too lazy for real work. I hope the first rocket bound for Mars will be big enough to fit a college full of those specimens in it. ::

Guybrush122
01-24-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Alien426
Stundents are just too lazy for real work. I hope the first rocket bound for Mars will be big enough to fit a college full of those specimens in it. ::

And let's not forget to send Dubya along with them...

....*shiver*.....

Skinkie
01-25-2004, 05:23 AM
The real blow out of tax dollars is Bush's plan to build a moon colony. Yeah, so, it would be cool, I'll admit, but maybe we should work on fixing the problems we have on this planet, before we travel off into space and start screwing things. Hey is it just me, or does everyone else think the moon would be like the ultimate garbage dump? Load a shuttle and smash it into the thing, give it a couple hundred years of that and scientists will really have something to study. But I guess this thread is about Mars not the moon so, is it just me, or does everyone else think mars would be like the ultimate garbage dump. Sure, maybe there was life there at some point, but we ain't seein it now, so it's not like we'd be pissing off the natives by bombarding them with our junk, hey, maybe it will help spawn something there, Mars Mold, imagine the market for a product like that. Ah Screw It.

Guybrush122
01-25-2004, 11:47 AM
I hear ya skinkie. We've been paying though the nose on failed attempts to land on Mars...and the money we've spent could've EASILY solved the education problem we have. And hey, that means Dubya wouldn't have much of an excuse for his little No Child Left Behind crap.

As for garbage dumps....why not just space in general? Doesn't need to be a planet, really. I wouldn't wanna mess up a place as interesting and beautiful as Mars, but I wouldn't mind getting rid of garbage heaps in space. Oh sure, they might enter an atmosphere and come crashing down...but by that time the hunks would be no larger than the head of a pin.

Joshi
01-25-2004, 05:36 PM
Hasn't Futurama taught us anything, dumping garbage in space would eventually destroy New York. Let's do it!

Oh, and, sending a rocket to the moon may send it off orbit and maybe even into us causing armegeddon, and then we'd have to kill off bruce willis in order to stop it. Let's do it!

Wow, optimism does work!

Ernil
01-25-2004, 08:49 PM
But then the supporting blow-uper character marries Liv Tyler, and would thwart all of the plans I've been working on these years.

Pessimism DOES work!

Shivermetimbers
01-26-2004, 12:51 AM
I think there could be or have been life. But it wouldn't be the same as human life at all, and might not even be what we consider life.... you know what I mean?

Skinkie
01-26-2004, 01:57 AM
You mean like... Canadians?

Ernil
01-26-2004, 02:24 AM
Polka Dancers, Skink. Polka Dancers.

Guybrush122
01-26-2004, 02:32 AM
Oh God...imagine an entire RACE of ancient Barbara Striesands...

...sweet lord the horror.

Darth Groovy
01-26-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by Guybrush122
Oh God...imagine an entire RACE of ancient Barbara Striesands...

...sweet lord the horror.

No.

Ray Jones
01-26-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by Joshi
Hasn't Futurama taught us anything, dumping garbage in space would eventually destroy New York.

hey.. i was up to say that, but i didnt, so that you could.

Alien426
01-26-2004, 09:16 AM
It'd destroy New New York. New York was already destroyed.

Ray Jones
01-26-2004, 10:00 AM
that's why i didnt say it. :dozey:

:p

err..

garbage in space.. uuuuhhhhhmmmm...
yeah. based on the principle of atomic waste in the ocean, it should work. as long as we dont place it directly in front of wally, the space dolphin's place, who needs a "clean" space anyway?
:: one argument against it would be that we would waste resources with it, actually we would give them away from earth "for ever".

there is also a chance that we bring life up there (mars or whereever) by ourselves, some creeping microorganism that hides somewhere in this probe. perhabs it feels well in a strange environment that is not the earth and develops quick, maybe it starts some process that changes the athmosphere or something.. or it will, caused through radiation and so on, become some slimy creeping man eating err.. thing. or both. a perfect plan. bait humans with breathable air and if the humans feel safe, reach out with giant tentacles. :eek:

TUM.. TUUUMMMM.. TUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!

*hides under the desk, will not sleep for the next three months*

Joshi
01-26-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Alien426
It'd destroy New New York. New York was already destroyed.

Because new new york is actually an improvment on old new york.

Das Mole
01-26-2004, 11:08 PM
i think it's possible for there to be life up there, even now. perhaps not the three-headed martian type...but there could be some life forms, like bacteria or something underneath the ice caps, if the core or something is hot enough to have melted some of the ice underneath and there's water. it's possible, i guess. otherwise if that's not the case, then no. i think that there can't be a single living organism in either the plant or the animal kingdoms. at all. there's no way.

Skinkie
01-27-2004, 01:58 AM
Hey he seems to be putting serious thoughts into his replies, Kill him!

Guybrush122
01-27-2004, 02:05 AM
Wow. Sarcasm.

Heh heh :p

I actually think there definately is life on Mars (was and is), but rather irrelevent. Well, I say irrelevent assuming that we, humans, aren't. Which is probably not the case. I mean, how can we be so significant when we come up with brand names like Count Chocula?

ptdc
01-27-2004, 02:49 PM
"...Is there life on mars? Is there life on mars? Is there life in Peckham? Is there life in Peckham?..."
But seriously, I think the real issue is where are the Martians hiding their weapons of mass destruction?

Guybrush122
01-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Furthermore, how can we get at their oil?

Ernil
01-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Furthermore, how silly do they look unshaved for a month?

Guybrush122
01-27-2004, 04:10 PM
Okay, now that one was good.

:P

Skinkie
01-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Anybody else think Canada is the real uncharted territory we should be investigating, eh. Cause you know all those crazy hosers are only using a tiny portion of their country, eh. I really like Canada.

Fender
01-29-2004, 07:05 PM
Just wait till mars has been subject of a Government Change - they really go in for the dictatorships in the US and Bush is the man for it. Wait until he (or his descendants) are the monarchy.

Lets work this on the Philosophy of "Half-Life"

Dubya is the smartest.
The next generation is half as smart.
The next generation is half as smart as the one above.
The next generation is half as smart as the one above.
And so on until it is the tiniest number of brain cells you could think of.

If Dubya is the smartest, then you should start running now. All you free-thinking americans should run to the hills before you are locked up for treason against the fascist state.

Guybrush122
01-29-2004, 07:26 PM
Dubya has basically come out and said he wanted a new world order based around him. And we're doing NOTHING!

I like to sing this song when I get blue:

He's not smart; a C student.
And that's after buying his way into school.
Beady eyes, and he's kinda dyslexic.
Can he read? No one's really quite sure.
He signs stuff and he executes people.
Maybe that's why, he doesn't have any friends.
Cocaine and a little drunk driving.
Doesn't matter, when you're the Commander in Chief.

Idiot son of an *******
He's the idiot son of an *******
Idiot son of an *******

Put on some make-up, turn on the 8-Track,
I'm putting a week back on the shelf.
Suddenly I'm the President of the United States,
But then I woke up, and realized I'm still me.

He's too dumb, to eat pretzels, apparently smart enough to fix an election.
Moved boldly into the White House,
but most people voted against him.
He likes naps, He really likes naptime, A couple of naps and then a nap and then he's ready for bed,
He may be from Bush decent, but he's always gonna be the unpresident.

Idiot son of an *******
Idiot son of an *******

He's our president!

Joshi
01-30-2004, 04:58 PM
I don't really get why we sent a probe up though. why didn't we just send up an army of americans (and brits because tony's right up bush's arse, and that is not a sentance I want repeated) to stand around for a why looking shifty, push people around, shoot "friendly fire" at one another and then come home and debate about it's point.

Ray Jones
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
i'm all for the probe though ..

Skinkie
01-31-2004, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Joshi
I don't really get why we sent a probe up though.
....tony's right up bush's arse

Hmmm, a probe indeed.