PDA

View Full Version : SETI@home


leXX
02-08-2004, 10:52 PM
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Are there any other geeks here helping to find ET? I have been donating my resources along with 4,871,961 users for some time now. Do you think this is pointless, or do you think that this extra help might indeed end with an actual signal being recieved faster than it would normally.

Will we ever make contact with an alien species in our lifetime?

I for one have my fingers crossed.

obi
02-08-2004, 10:56 PM
I can honestly say I hope we come into contact with another species. The galaxy is vast, and it is inconceivable to think we're the only ones in the entire thing.

Tyrion
02-08-2004, 10:57 PM
I'd much rather be using my spare cpu cycles to do something more useful for humanity, like trying to find out how proteins fold(assemble).

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding

It acts much like Seti@Home, with you downloading work units to work on.

DarkLord60
02-08-2004, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
I'd much rather be using my spare cpu cycles to do something more useful for humanity, like trying to find out how proteins fold(assemble).

http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding

It acts much like Seti@Home, with you downloaded work units to work on.

Me also :D though I believe other life out there.

Neverhoodian
02-09-2004, 01:19 AM
I tend to believe that there's life on other star systems somewhere out there. With billions upon billions of galaxies, all of which hold billions upon billions of stars, odds seem good to me that there is life elsewhere in the universe.

That said, however, I find it highly unlikely that we'll be able to make contact with other life. For one thing, we assume that alien life is just as advanced, if not more so, than us. It could very well be that some life is still in microscopic stage or in some other form that isn't advanced enough to communicate with us.

Moreover, one has to keep in mind the sheer size of the universe. Most of the stars you see are hundreds of light years away. Galaxies are even further out, being thousands and sometimes millions of light years away. Even if aliens were to recieve transmissions coming from earth, we would probably be long dead by then. Furthermore, it would take just as long for them to send a response.

As for actually travelling and visiting other life, (or other life visiting us) the chances are even more remote. It is impossible to travel at light speed or faster due to the laws of physics. Since the time it would take to travel to other star systems would be extremely long, it just wouldn't be feasible to undertake such a quest; you would probably die of old age first.

In a nutshell: there's a slight possibility we might be able to make contact with other life many decades/centuries from now, but we couldn't actually meet them face-to-face.

ET Warrior
02-09-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by leXX
Are there any other geeks here helping to find ET?

*looks in mirror*

Um..................................:D

edlib
02-09-2004, 02:09 AM
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_64027.html

The team has kind of slowed down as of late, but there's a few of us at XWA still churning out packets.

Datheus
02-09-2004, 02:49 AM
I used to have the SETI program on my computer, but I agree, working with the protein thing just makes more sense.

But one way or another, I'm sure we won't make any form of contact until we make actual physical contact, whether its with a sand scooper or a bayonet...

RoxStar
02-09-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
I

That said, however, I find it highly unlikely that we'll be able to make contact with other life. For one thing, we assume that alien life is just as advanced, if not more so, than us. It could very well be that some life is still in microscopic stage or in some other form that isn't advanced enough to communicate with us.



Good point. But, I watched something on the science channel on hyperspace which said that it was possible. So either that or wormholes would get us to other places. But before we do that., lets clean up our own world first mmkay?

Gabrobot
02-09-2004, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
As for actually travelling and visiting other life, (or other life visiting us) the chances are even more remote. It is impossible to travel at light speed or faster due to the laws of physics. Since the time it would take to travel to other star systems would be extremely long, it just wouldn't be feasible to undertake such a quest; you would probably die of old age first.

Ah, but what of quantum teleportation?

El Sitherino
02-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by leXX
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/

Are there any other geeks here helping to find ET? I have been donating my resources along with 4,871,961 users for some time now. Do you think this is pointless, or do you think that this extra help might indeed end with an actual signal being recieved faster than it would normally.

Will we ever make contact with an alien species in our lifetime?

I for one have my fingers crossed. *raises hand in glee* You never know, then again, humans are so incredibly foolish, why should an intelligent species want to contact us? just so we could forcively remove their clitoris, or bomb their clinics?