View Full Version : Gravity Well Projectors
02-23-2004, 06:56 AM
I've just got a few inquiries about gravity well projectors...
1) first of all, about how far does the actual gravity well project?
2) Does the Rebellion/New Republic have any defined ship class for carrying gravity well projectors? i've heard a rumour that they had the "CC-7700 Frigate", but then again, they're just rumours
3) We all know that a gravity well projector stops ships from going into hyperspace by creating a gravity well like a planets, but how does this work and why does it do it?
4)Does anyone know when they came into use (eg. empire's interdictors)
5) What sneaky things have people figured out to do with them (eg. the move with the rogue interdictor cruiser during the assault on Coruscant)
02-23-2004, 09:52 AM
1. The range is unknown, but it can vary depending on the power input I suppose. However, the largest field ever recorded in recent history was made by Centerpoint Station. It blanketed the entire Corellian system under an interdiction field of several light-months' extent.
2. The CC-7700 Frigate is one such vessel yes. Not sure when it was developed. It first appeared i think in the game Rebellion (Supremacy), most likely as a counter balance to one of the Imperial Interdictor picket ships that was used in the game.
3. All hyperdrives are equipped with a safety system that detects objects in real-space. Objects in real-space effects hyperspace by projecting the bodies gravityfield into it. In hyperspace this is called mass-shadows.
When a mass-shadow is detected, the hyperdrive shuts down and drops the ship back into realspace.
4. The Empire deployed their first interdictor some months after the Battle of Yavin. It was designed and built by Seinar Fleet Systems, one of the 3 major companies contracted by the Empire at the time. The first Death Star is reported to have atleast one experimental prototype generator, but it was highly unstable at the time. When activated without elaborate safeguard systems it was prone to catastrophic implosion leading to black hole formation.
Gravity Well Generators arn't really a new thing. You might say it has been re-invented in recent times. Centerpoint Station has the oldest known Gravity Well Generators.
5. Don't have any sneaky things really. :)
02-23-2004, 10:19 AM
Jan pretty much covered it, but for little tricks, the New Republic used Interdictors to bring out task forces pretty close to their target a few times. If they didn't deploy the projectors in time... I guess the fleet will over shoot its target
02-23-2004, 08:52 PM
Didn't Thrawn use Interdictors to perfectly place fleets coming out of hyperspace into battles?
02-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Yeah, he did, though it's been a while since i read them... need to do it again, after i've finished Starfighters of Adumar. Also, in X-wing, although it wasn't intended, the Black Asp, whilst trying to prevent the Pulsar Skate from escaping, drew Rogue Squadron out of hyperspace and forced the Asp to flee.
The X-Wing series rules...
02-24-2004, 02:00 AM
Yeah, that was in the first one.
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.