PDA

View Full Version : Woman dies in viewing of "The Passion of the Christ"


Acrylic
02-26-2004, 03:13 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4375158/

Read it all. :(

Tyrion
02-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Very sad, if not a tad bit ironic. :(

Neverhoodian
02-26-2004, 04:58 AM
Dang, that's just sad.

Well, I've heard the movie's pretty gory. Definitely not one for the faint of heart. I guess it was just too much for her.

El Sitherino
02-26-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Very sad, if not a tad bit ironic. :( ditto.

STTCT
02-26-2004, 06:41 AM
Man, now I don't want my dad to see it. He has heart problems :( ... I mean I want him to see it - but I don't want him to die while doing so!

Elijah
02-26-2004, 08:08 AM
Originally posted by STTCT
Man, now I don't want my dad to see it. He has heart problems :( ... I mean I want him to see it - but I don't want him to die while doing so! I saw TONS (like 85%) of elderly people at the theater when I saw it, and they where all fine :)

Astrotoy7
02-26-2004, 09:18 AM
That is terribly sad.

comiserations to her family and friends....

Faith is very close to the heart and soul of many, for those who have a deep love and admiration for Christ, it would be hard not to be affected by the level of violence in the film....

IG-64
02-26-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by ZDawg
I saw TONS (like 85%) of elderly people at the theater when I saw it, and they where all fine :)

I haven't seen it yet, waiting for the madness to calm down.

How was it?

obi
02-26-2004, 02:52 PM
That is sad. =(

I heard the actor that played Jesus got struck by lightning while making the film, too.

o.O

Uber_Saber
02-26-2004, 03:08 PM
He was hit twice.

DarkLord60
02-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
That is sad. =(

I heard the actor that played Jesus got struck by lightning while making the film, too.

o.O

no kidding?

Crazy_dog no.3
02-26-2004, 05:22 PM
That's unfortunate. :(

But really, you shouldn't be going to see intense films like this if you are prone to these things.

Elijah
02-26-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
How was it? Amazing.

ZBomber
02-26-2004, 07:09 PM
Yeh, I can't wait to see the movie. They said on the TV that there are mean, agry people all around, but Jesus always finds one caring person and looks at them. Its pretty interesting on how Mel Gibson turned all this into a movie, adding small details.

Elijah
02-26-2004, 08:23 PM
He didnt just show love to the careing people, notice he shows compasion to the people beeting him, he forgives them to.

MennoniteHobbit
02-26-2004, 08:23 PM
I might see it, but I just wonder if it's worth it... I mean, it's about Jesus and all, but really, do we have to see everything on TV? Looking at a portion of the Bible on TV? Not everything has to be visual...

I feel sorry for that lady, lots of movies have too much action for old people... but she was only one person... like ZDawg, said, a bunch of people (elderly) have seen it, nothing was wrong... condolences to her family.

txa1265
02-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Its pretty interesting on how Mel Gibson turned all this into a movie, adding small details. I think it is more interesting how many in the media have taken Mel's passion (pun intended) that he wrought this film from and started calling him a 'whack job'. Like it or don't like it - he wanted to make this film, supposedly worked hard to make it religiously accurate, and sure enough the anti-religion liberal media equates religious passion with psychosis ...

Mike

Mex
02-26-2004, 08:49 PM
I guess the big guy in the sky hates this film eh?

obi
02-26-2004, 08:57 PM
There were actually two stars in this movie that got struck by lightning while working on it.

They both survived with no pain or injury.

Cool, I think.

jokemaster
02-26-2004, 10:00 PM
^HMMM, a sign?

J/K, I want to see it, but my parents say they have to see it first.

Katarn07
02-26-2004, 10:40 PM
This movie is by far the most moving movie I have ever seen. I had tears in my eyes and cringed every time a hand was layed on Jesus. It's one thing to have violence happen to fictional characters, but being a Christian and seeing this just did something to me. I hope more people would see it despite this sad tradgedy. I suppose if you cannot take its violent nature (its rated R for 'sequences of graphic violence' but really it should be R for 'sustained graphic violence').

Looking at a portion of the Bible on TV? Not everything has to be visual...

Not true. Reading it can never move you in the way this did.

Yes, K07 in the Swamp. Dropped in to see the convo about this excellent movie because I doubt there would be much to discuss at EB....

ET Warrior
02-26-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by Katarn07
Yes, K07 in the Swamp. Dropped in to see the convo about this excellent movie because I doubt there would be much to discuss at EB....

That's because we have everything in the swamp :p

Elijah
02-26-2004, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by Michaelmexp
I guess the big guy in the sky hates this film eh? Eh, no...

Neverhoodian
02-26-2004, 11:50 PM
I've heard mixed reviews. People either love it or hate it. I haven't seen it yet, and I'm not sure if I ever will. I just don't go out and watch many movies.

One question about the movie, though. Does the movie cover the Resurrection of Christ as well as His crucifiction? The Resurrection is one of the most important parts of the story of Jesus. (it's why we celebrate Easter, after all)

hgwall44
02-27-2004, 12:05 AM
Well first of all i heard that story about the actor playing jesus being struck by lightning and surviving with no injury.

I really hope alot of people go to see this movie and will realize god loves them and that they need to follow christ to get to heaven. I hope it does at was intended and breaks the record for sales or whatever its called.

I can't wait to see it

Domo-Kun
02-27-2004, 12:08 AM
is it all in latin?

Katarn07
02-27-2004, 12:13 AM
Jesus does rise but that's when it ends. Having him convince the disciples would take away from the message of the passion. Passion being Latin for pain and suffering and as we know it to be, love. Jesus endured all that pain because he loves us.

And no, it is not all in Latin. There's some Aramaic too. Not just for historical accuracy but so it doesn't convey to the world that Christianity is an American thing.....

shukrallah
02-27-2004, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by DarkLord60
no kidding?


No kidding. In fact, he talks about it all the time.. like in every interview.. or even short clip of him talking....


I really hope alot of people go to see this movie and will realize god loves them and that they need to follow christ to get to heaven. I hope it does at was intended and breaks the record for sales or whatever its called.


Already broke the record... like 2 million in 24 hours.. maybe it was 20 mill... or 200 mill.. idk. but it broke a record.

BTW, you realize, the real thing was worse than what was shown in the movie. :(

One question about the movie, though. Does the movie cover the Resurrection of Christ as well as His crucifiction? The Resurrection is one of the most important parts of the story of Jesus. (it's why we celebrate Easter, after all)

If it didnt tell the whole story, then, it shouldnt be shown. Oh yeah, if it added a bunch of stuff that didnt happen, it shouldnt be shown.

Acrylic
02-27-2004, 03:33 AM
Originally posted by Katarn07
This movie is by far the most moving movie I have ever seen. I had tears in my eyes and cringed every time a hand was layed on Jesus. It's one thing to have violence happen to fictional characters, but being a Christian and seeing this just did something to me. I hope more people would see it despite this sad tradgedy. I suppose if you cannot take its violent nature (its rated R for 'sequences of graphic violence' but really it should be R for 'sustained graphic violence').


I understand how it moves you and all...but cringing? These are just actors after all, not the real Jesus. But those are my thoughts (I'm a Catholic incase people are wondering or something)

Crazy_dog no.3
02-27-2004, 09:53 AM
I wanna see it but it's rated 18 (http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/e8ea0df3a881175480256d58003cb570/d3e1ecb136cc552f80256e3f003194fc?OpenDocument) over here. Bloody film ratings.

El Sitherino
02-27-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Acrylic
I understand how it moves you and all...but cringing? These are just actors after all, not the real Jesus. But those are my thoughts (I'm a Catholic incase people are wondering or something)
so is mel gibson and the movie was made entirely by a catholic crew, except some of the actors, It was even sent to the pope to be "allowed" in a sense. So basically it's a catholic movie. I saw bits and pieces and for someone not christian. I rather enjoyed it.
While I don't believe jesus to be the son of god, or that their even is a god, I still don't think people should die just because they believe something different from you. :(

ZBomber
02-27-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
While I don't believe jesus to be the son of god, or that their even is a god, I still don't think people should die just because they believe something different from you. :(

Well, the Jewish people were extremely offened that Jesus called himself the Son of God. Back then, people were very violent (For example, they would stone people who sinned, like the adultrist.) And think about it. If someone today, went areound, saying he was the Son of God..... Many of us Christians would be upset and offeneded, and non-Christians would be thinking the guy is a wack job. I guess this was how it was with Jesus. Most of the Jews were offended, and the Romans thoguht he was a wacko.

El Sitherino
02-27-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Well, the Jewish people were extremely offened that Jesus called himself the Son of God. Back then, people were very violent (For example, they would stone people who sinned, like the adultrist.) And think about it. If someone today, went areound, saying he was the Son of God..... Many of us Christians would be upset and offeneded, and non-Christians would be thinking the guy is a wack job. I guess this was how it was with Jesus. Most of the Jews were offended, and the Romans thoguht he was a wacko. yeah, but would you kill him for it? I'm just saying I don't think people should die just for their beliefs.

ZBomber
02-27-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
yeah, but would you kill him for it? I'm just saying I don't think people should die just for their beliefs.

Sadly, thats how peopel handed situations back then. In some places, its still handled that way. =S

BTW - Jesus wasn't the only one killed for his beliefs. Many Saints were killed. People who die for their faith are matyrs (I think thats how its spelt :))

El Sitherino
02-27-2004, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Sadly, thats how peopel handed situations back then. In some places, its still handled that way. =S

BTW - Jesus wasn't the only one killed for his beliefs. Many Saints were killed. People who die for their faith are matyrs (I think thats how its spelt :)) While I'm not christian I'm not an idiot. ;)

Katarn07
02-27-2004, 03:50 PM
Martyr. Yes, Z's partially right. Not all the Jews were against Jesus, just the high priests for they felt he would disrupt their community of followers and if you see how far around the world Chrisitiany is spread, their fears were justified. Also, their beliefs in the Bible were only the Old Testament since they're the ones responsible for the New one and the laws were alot more severe. That's the key to it all; I'm really no expert on the matter. I know the stories in order and their meanings but am not sure about the different societies in the Bible. You should see the differences between the Jews in Moses time, to the time prior to their beying enslaved by the Babylonians, to Jesus time.

And yes, Acrylic, watching as skin is ripped from flesh, fake or not, is really not an all to pretty thing to watch. The opening scene of Private Ryan turned my stomach over several times and that's why many people have a new found respect for veterans of all wars. I read some people feel the Passion should have a NC-17 rating (glad it didn't or else I couldn't have scene it) but the fact its about Jesus and has no sex in it gave it the R rating. I saw plenty of 10 year olds in the theater and they really had no reason to be there. Most were rushed outta there before the flogging scene which is the most violent part of the film.

ZBomber
02-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Well, hopefully I'll see it this weekend....

Also, am I the only one that thinks that God described in the old testament seems much more hateful then God beign described in the later Old Testament/New Testament?

The_One
02-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Oh, hell yeah. If you read the Old Testament, God comes across as down right evil and a pretty hateful guy.

And, if there is a God - which I'm pretty sure there isn't - he is the most evil being to ever exist.

Just my opinion...

ZBomber
02-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Oh, hell yeah. If you read the Old Testament, God comes across as down right evil and a pretty hateful guy.

And, if there is a God - which I'm pretty sure there isn't - he is the most evil being to ever exist.

Just my opinion...

well, thats quite a strong opinion..... just wondering, have you read ANY of the New Testament? You'll see that he appears much more caring.......

obi
02-27-2004, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
While I'm not christian I'm not an idiot. ;)

I hope you don't mean by this that Christians are idiots, because I would hate to have to prove someone wrong....

Anyway, I believe there is a God, and that Jesus is his son, but this isn't the place to argue that...

People die for their beliefs all the time. Even today. Look at Palestine and Israel.

Rogue Nine
02-27-2004, 06:02 PM
I giggled when I read the story about the lady dying. Does that make me a bad person?

El Sitherino
02-27-2004, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
I giggled when I read the story about the lady dying. Does that make me a bad person? No. not at all. I giggled at the irony. It's sad but it is rather ironic.

ZBomber
02-27-2004, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
I hope you don't mean by this that Christians are idiots, because I would hate to have to prove someone wrong....

Anyway, I believe there is a God, and that Jesus is his son, but this isn't the place to argue that...

People die for their beliefs all the time. Even today. Look at Palestine and Israel.


O_o

He said although hes not Christian, he knows that people were killed back then, and if it was for their faith, they were called martyrs, hence, not being an idiot.......

Katarn07
02-27-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
yeah, but would you kill him for it? I'm just saying I don't think people should die just for their beliefs.

I have the answer to that. Here's some quotes taken outta one of the songs from Jesus Christ Superstar.

Here's what the high priest Caiaphas has to say.
I see bad things arising--the crowd crown him king
Which the Romans would ban
I see blood and destruction, our elimination
because of one man
Blood and destruction because of one man

Here's what a fellow priest has to say.
Where do we start with a man who is bigger
Than John was when John did his Baptism thing?

And Caiaphas's answer.
Fools! You have no perception!
The stakes we are gambling are frightenling high!
We must crush him completely--
So like John before him, this Jesus must die
For the sake of the nation this Jesus must die

From a historian's point of view, it makes sense. You'd have to know more about the Roman Empire and how it all worked. The only reason Jesus was flogged by Pilate before his execution is Pilate found him to be innocent and hoped if he allowed his men to mess around with him the Jews would be happy enough and let him go free. And the only reason Pilate agreed to have Jesus killed is to prevent an uprising. And the main reasons the Priests wanted Jesus dead were because of his teachings and the fact he might do something to get Rome to come in and destroy the Jewish nation. And I started off way to many sentances with the word 'and.'

shukrallah
02-27-2004, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Well, hopefully I'll see it this weekend....

Also, am I the only one that thinks that God described in the old testament seems much more hateful then God beign described in the later Old Testament/New Testament?

Read through it again, youll see that God makes several caring decisions. God is the same as he was yesterday, and the same as he will be tommorrow.

obi
02-27-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
O_o

He said although hes not Christian, he knows that people were killed back then, and if it was for their faith, they were called martyrs, hence, not being an idiot.......

I er...must have missed that....

Captain Wilson
02-27-2004, 10:16 PM
Not wanting to offend any here with my post buts this is my 2 cents\pence.

If there is a god, then he would have to be the greastest sh*t of all time. In the old Testament God was a being of war with no forgiving sins. he supposeddly killed all hummanity bar noah + family. H Gave man free will and didnt like the outcome.

If you look at jesus teaching, i think (no clamin to be right) that many of jesus' ideals are very simmler to buddest and unlike the jews own views. there are records of a man that could well have been jesus in india around the time ol' jesus was ment to be alive.

On the death - sad
On the film - off to see it asap
On the lightining - TWICE!?!

GothiX
02-27-2004, 10:30 PM
I saw the movie, didn't pay much attention. Two girls next to me, Dimmu Borgir playing on my discman.

Ah well, at least I'm still alive.

Jed
02-27-2004, 10:41 PM
I'm not Christian or any other related religion, but I'd still like to see this film.

DarkLord60
02-27-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Jed
I'm not Christian or any other related religion, but I'd still like to see this film.

Nither am I all though my grandpa is a rev. I think ill go see it.

ZBomber
02-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Read through it again, youll see that God makes several caring decisions. God is the same as he was yesterday, and the same as he will be tommorrow.

Wells here a few things.

God makes the Jews fight wars with people to get land. Why couldn't he just give them Egypt?

He made them travel through the desert for 40 years. 40 YEARS!

There are many other things too.

Acrylic
02-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
He made them travel through the desert for 40 years. 40 YEARS!

Do you even know WHY he made them walk for 40 years?

Because they were disobeying the 10 commandments.

ZBomber
02-28-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by Acrylic
Do you even know WHY he made them walk for 40 years?

Because they were disobeying the 10 commandments.

You also forgot to say that he was testing to se eif they could be the "Chosen people"

But 40 years? And when they do get to the promised land, he just kinda lays Moses off. He kills him right before the Jewish people get to the promised land......

Thats what I mean by kinda mean......

Rogue Nine
02-28-2004, 02:24 AM
That's cuz Moses pissed God off by not following his commands to the letter. So God said, "You ain't getting into the promised land, Moses."

Simple as that.

Acrylic
02-28-2004, 02:59 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
That's cuz Moses pissed God off by not following his commands to the letter. So God said, "You ain't getting into the promised land, Moses."

Simple as that.

Yes, thats what I meant. :)

jokemaster
02-28-2004, 03:12 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
And when they do get to the promised land, he just kinda lays Moses off. He kills him right before the Jewish people get to the promised land......

Dude, the guy lived for like over 100 years. He had to die SOMETIME!

ZBomber
02-28-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
That's cuz Moses pissed God off by not following his commands to the letter. So God said, "You ain't getting into the promised land, Moses."

Simple as that.

Why didn't he just kill all the other Jews then? They sinned way more then he did...... Seems kinda weir dto use him as a pawn, then just not even let him see his promised land.

Why are we turning this into a debate anyways?

Acrylic
02-28-2004, 04:39 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Why didn't he just kill all the other Jews then? They sinned way more then he did...... Seems kinda weir dto use him as a pawn, then just not even let him see his promised land.

Why are we turning this into a debate anyways?

Well, if its gonna debate, maybe it should get moved into the Senate Chambers.

obi
02-28-2004, 02:06 PM
Yea, If it's debate, to the senate chambers, you must take it.

*realized he just talked like Yoda*

:eek:

Anyway, God told Moses to talk to a rock to get some water.

Moses hit it with a stick.

Then, God said :disaprove

toms
03-01-2004, 12:53 PM
i'm pretty keen to see this. Whether it is good or not, it should definately be interesting. I've never got the whole anti-semetic arguement at all, that is like saying that allt he films with Nazis as bad guys are going to cause violence against germans. :rolleyes:

Gibson himself does seem a bit weird to me though. He isn't a catholic, he is a part of a small religious group (cult?) that believes amongst other things that the current pope is a heretic and that most catholic teaching after a certain date is wrong. Not sure on the details.

I think his dad said that the holocaust was exagerated and Mel refused to disagree. He also said that his wife (who is church of england) is a better and more "good" person than him, but she is going to hell because of her beliefs.

He seems to have lost it a little bit. Interested to watch the film when it comes out though...

Astrotoy7
03-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Yes, Mel Gibson is a fruit loop and a disgrace to our nation(Australia)..... there's nothing we hate more when an actor/singer goes off and comes back sporting an accent, Mels got to the corniest hollywood accent ever. That 60 minute interview just showed him up for exactkly what he was...a deluded fool.

Gibson's father is also 'two bobs short of a quid', and it is true he has 'revisionist' views about the Holocaust, though when pressed about his father, Mel cleverly backs away because being anti-semitic in Hollywood wouldn't go down well at all.....

I wont see the film in the theatres, but I will see it when it hits dvd most likely. I am of islamic heritage, but I really do not practise it to any degree. I believe Jesus was a special individual for his time, and dont need to ascribe anything beyond that to him to have a tremendous respect for his ideals. I do have problems with most forms of organised religion as I believe it is a breeding ground of intolerance and zealoutry. Al Queda promotes themselves as a religious group, as does the KKK, theyre both a pack of criminals looking for justification in the wrong place.

I do feel sad for the lady though. Rogue Nine, have you lost the plot recently(from reading you other posts today). I don't find the news of anyone's death amusing, and I'm sure many would concur with me on that. I'm sure you wouldn't have the giggles if it was your mother/grandmother, irony or not

MTFBWYA

Astrotoy7
03-01-2004, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by GothiX
I saw the movie, didn't pay much attention. Two girls next to me, Dimmu Borgir playing on my discman.


ah, the joys of being a teenager. Make sure you get your momz to wash your sheets this weekend... j/k

MTFBWYA